Wheeler welcomes added responsibility

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Friday, October 19th, 2012 at 11:57 am in Oakland Raiders.

The green sticker affixed to the helmet of Philip Wheeler made official what has become apparent almost since the day he arrived as a free agent.

He has become the leader of the Raiders defense because of both his passion and playmaking ability.

When the Raiders decided to move rookie fourth-round pick Miles Burris into the nickel defense in place of Rolando McClain, the responsibility for wearing the wired helmet (designated by a green sticker) to relay instructions from the coaching staff fell to Wheeler.

“It gives me a lot of responsibilities and it makes me work harder,’’ Wheeler said. “It’s forced me to get in the film room more, so I can make better calls and do what’s right for the defense, and I’m up to the job.’’

According to the Raiders’ stats, Wheeler is the team’s second-leading tackler behind safety Tyvon Branch with 58 stops. He’s also got a pair of passes defesned, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery.

Although Wheeler doesn’t have a sack, he’s been an effective blitzer _ as evidenced by his hit on Matt Ryan that led to a wounded duck interception by Branch for the Raiders’ third interception against the Falcons. Stats LLC credits Wheeler with seven quarterback hits.

Wheeler credited McClain for playing well in his new role, and shared a laugh with an exhausted Burris after the Falcons game. Both played every snap against Atlanta, which is the norm for Wheeler but something new for Burris.

“He did pretty good. I was pretty proud of him, stepping in there, playing all of the snaps’’ Wheeler said. “After the game, he told me, `So this is what your body feels like after the game.’

“I said, you’ve got to recuperate, sit down when you get a chance, get off your feet and come back at it next week.’’

Wheeler was generally pleased with how the Raiders defense played against the Falcons, especially in contrast to road losses in Miami and Denver.

“We held them to one touchdown on offense and I feel like we did a decent job,’’ Wheeler said. “We did better, and that’s our standard now. We’ve got to play like that or better.’’

– Raiders who were not practicing Friday and are likely going to be declared “out’’ include cornerback Shawntae Spencer, right tackle Khalif Barnes and tight end Richard Gordon.

Linebacker Aaron Curry was practicing for the third straight day, but is unlikely to be placed on the 53-man roster until he gets more practices under his belt. A 21-day window began Wednesday, during which time the Raiders can activate Curry.

At the end of 21 days, the Raiders must either place Curry on the roster, place him on injured reserve or release him.

– There was no word as practice began whether or not the Raiders had sold enough tickets to declare a sellout and ensure that the game would be shown on local television.

• Raider4Life209

Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    October 19th, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Pryor to a full on Tebow offense to achieve a high #1?
    ——-
    I just meant to finish up last season. Then get a new QB in the off-season.
    ____________

Understood. Last question still stands tho

• Raider4Life209

The problems for us were larger than QB play at that point. What other option was there? It was a huge trade indeed, but really…what else could we have done.

Enlighten me. And I don’t mean that in a sarcastic way, I really want to know what you think would have worked better.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Garrard with a healthy back. Would’ve solved everything.

________________

Everybody knew he wasn’t though.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

If Hue never traded for Palmer, Reggie might have went after Matt Flynn. I also think Hue would still be our head coach.

• The Beeech Dawg

Brahs, just sent my demo tape to Claire Danes, shouldn’t be long before my cell starts BLOWIN’ UP

You’re right, she’s not really my type – no huge boobs, perfect 10 body, Brazilian bikini wax, etc.

But something about how she dominates world intelligence and also makes time to get wasted and get nasty (meaning have intercourse) really speaks to the Beeech Diggity

Pretty sure I’ll have to romance her first, so I’ll be speaking with the catering executive manager at Olive Garden

Nothing breaks down walls faster than the Taste of Tuscany, whut whut

• Raider4Life209

Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    October 19th, 2012 at 12:50 pm

________________

Interesting take. Money to sign him???

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Russel Wilson was drafted in the third round. I wonder if Reggie would have drafted him if he dropped to the Raiders.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Raider4Life209 Says:
    October 19th, 2012 at 12:52 pm
    Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    October 19th, 2012 at 12:50 pm

________________

Interesting take. Money to sign him???
    ——
    If they weren’t paying Palmer, they might have had the money to sign Flynn.

• eastoaklandraider

Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    October 19th, 2012 at 12:50 pm
    ————–
    Flynn is a better fit for the O we run now not the O Hue ran.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Depending on how Wilson pans out, I wouldn’t be surprised if Reggie trades for Flynn in the off season.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

The Beeech Dawg Says:
    October 19th, 2012 at 12:51 pm

You’re right, she’s not really my type
    ===========================================

Because she’s female? Aren’t you a boner biting fudger?

• DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL

TO BAD MADDEN DECIDED TO HANG IT UP AFTER “77″ IF HE WOULD HAVE HUNG AROUND TILL NOW,WHO KNOWS…

• Raider4Life209

So, it boils down to QB no matter which road we take, or would have taken. Not trading for Palmer would have possibly allowed us to pick up a solid QB prospect or a lower priced FA, in turn leaving us with our picks that could have been used to bolster our ailing Defensive side, or a few O-line prospects. Correct? But we would likely be in the same position we are in now record wise, right?

• Raider4Life209

Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    October 19th, 2012 at 12:56 pm

_______________

Wilson is obviously struggling vs. the better D’s.
    Flynn stays put IMO

• The Beeech Dawg

Seymour Bush Says:
    October 19th, 2012 at 12:56 pm

The Beeech Dawg Says:
    October 19th, 2012 at 12:51 pm

You’re right, she’s not really my type
    ===========================================

Because she’s female? Aren’t you a boner biting fudger?

————

UH OH – Meltdown!

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    October 19th, 2012 at 12:50 pm

============================================

Very, VERY plausible.

Thanks a pantload, Huebert…

• hwnrdr

Wilson is obviously struggling vs. the better D’s.
    Flynn stays put IMO

Last night, second half…yes
    First half, his receivers were dropping too much. Probably could have put them away in the first half, IMO!

• Raider4Life209

hwnrdr Says:
    October 19th, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Wilson is obviously struggling vs. the better D’s.
    Flynn stays put IMO

Last night, second half…yes

____________

That game yes. I agree. But previously? Late game heroics only last so long, with Matt Ryan the obvious exception (since entering the NFL that is).

• Raider4Life209

hwnrdr Says:
    October 19th, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Wilson is obviously struggling vs. the better D’s.
    Flynn stays put IMO

Last night, second half…yes

__________

We all seen Monday that things can change in the Second half too. Gotta stay solid for 60min.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

hwnrdr Says:
    October 19th, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Wilson is obviously struggling vs. the better D’s.
    Flynn stays put IMO

Last night, second half…yes
    ======================================

But that’s the NFL. You can bet Vic Fangio will keep his notes, and the rest of the league will look at what he did adjusting to Russell Wilson. If there is a flaw in someones game, the league will figure it out quickly.

• http://www.actionext.com/playlist_57486.html La Milicia Negra

La Milicia Negra Says:
    October 19th, 2012 at 1:09 pm

edward teach Says:
    October 19th, 2012 at 8:41 am

LMN,

Maybe it’s the language barrier, or maybe you’re just clinging to your version for some other reason, but I’ll say this again and maybe this time you’ll understand it;

I never said Armstrong or Bruyneel weren’t cheating. What I said was that it was irresponsible to make a definitive statement that they were without proof, and in May of 2010 there wasn’t any.

It would be the same as saying that Fuglsang is a cheater right now, except that we DO have proof that his associations have consistently been with those affiliated with doping.

I asked you to use the same deductive reasoning with Fuglsang as you did with Armstrong… did you have a response to that?
    ______________________________________________________

Bwahahha, if fuglsang wins a tour im sure he is doped, I know Bjarne Riis was, and Im sure Michael Rasmussen were.. again you mix countries in it.. I dont understand why you are offended just because its coincidently is an american

riders are without countries, they ride for their teams. Any given tour from the last 15 years, the top 50 riders were doped somehow, no doubt about it..

If its important to you that im saying fuglsang is or isnt doped, i dont know, the younger riders seems to have a better ethic, than those aged 30-45 today.. but if fuglsang rides up Alp D’Huez in 40 minutes im sure he is doped. Everybody with knowledge of the sport, heck even common knowledge is enough to say “of course Lance Armstrong was doped”. But to compare a 7 times winner of the tour to a meager danish rider ranked 133 in the world is plain ludicrous. Bjarne Riis did the ride in 39m30s in 1995, the first to get below the 40minute mark, he admitted to be doped later on, after his career as a rider was over..

Pantani did the Alp d’Huez ride in 1997 in 37m35s and was later convicted for doping, Lance Armstrong did the ride ONE second slower in 2004 clearly doped, common sense says so, no jury or court is needed all riders with times lower than 42 minutes were and is doped.

Lance Armstrong did the ride 38m01s in 2001 and as soon as then everybody should have said, “yo, emperor wheres your clothes” but all were caught by the hype.. I believed the allegations of Lance Armstrong in 1999, because, it seemed like the sport wanted to clear out the weed, now we understand he has paid off for further accusations

• RaiderDebo

Gun to my head, I’d definitely pick us to win the game this week. Thought we would win last week too. But this just isn’t a good enough team to count its chickens before they hatch. They’re coming off a bye and looking at this as a winnable game that can save their season. Will be biting my nails till the clock reads zero.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

RaidersOne Says: I know several people from so cal who moved to Grass Valley to grow, but the soil there is reddish clay and not that great.======

Yes it is, but guess what? Llama sh1t is outstanding fertilizer. And I’m converting hay to sh1t every single day and sell most to a couple guys who won’t quite tell me what or where they’re using it for and at. That’s a clumsy sentence.

• tonedeezy

Coaching differences:

Hue Jackson
    “I’m gonna let Tom Cable take the fall for my suggestion to bench Jason Campbell for Bruce Gradkowski.”

Dennis Allen
    “I’m willing to bench the defensive captain that I inherited if it makes our team more competitive.”

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

Marks hair Says: i guess ill need co2 to make it work.============

Just need to talk to your plants 1 hour every night. Plenty of CO2.

• The Beeech Dawg

Brahs, Wrecks N Effect AM rehearsal was OFF THE CHAIN!

The Mo Fly Girlz rocked some great hip hop dance moves to my tracks and were so excited they ran to the jacuzzi to lezz out

I’m working on some additional stage moves with DJ Kimchi, where we both start scissor kicking the air like Jean Claude Van Damme

Of course there will be a massive drum solo, some tasty horns and samples of African women chanting Ooooh LaLa LaLa wafting in the background

Special props go out to Easy E, Kool Moe Dee and Young MC

STAY REAL, BRAHS

• R8ER MIKE

east coast GreenParty brothers… get em ready ….
    its almost 420 !!!

• R8ER MIKE

fire em up brothers !!!
    PUFF PUFF PASS !!!!

• Marks hair

How does a suicide scene get you hot? There was no sex or nudity.. just danes crazy sad faces..

• Marks hair

74..haha

• The Beeech Dawg

R8ER MIKE Says:
    October 19th, 2012 at 1:21 pm

fire em up brothers !!!
    PUFF PUFF PASS !!!!

———

R8, you guys PASS on the east coast?
    manners are for nerds

The Beeech Diggity always says -
    PUFF PUFF THEN KEEP ON PUFFING

PMPP N FULL EFFECT

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

Albert Bigelow Paine Says: Beeecham is the Adam Sandler of the blog. They are both funny about %10 of the time.==========

Unspoken is infantile and irritating the other 90%.

• The Beeech Dawg

Marks hair Says:
    October 19th, 2012 at 1:22 pm

—–

Brah, historically the craziest shorties ride the Beeech Lawg the best

The more wack, the more they lick the nut sack

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

Aaron Curry ‏@AaronCurry51

Having amazing conversations with Ro about Christ

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure Says:
    October 19th, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Aaron Curry ‏@AaronCurry51

Having amazing conversations with Ro about Christ
    ===================================

While I appreciate that, and understand the importance, maybe Curry should explain to him how to play LB.

• JB

THIS JUST IN:

McCheese or McWhiffer, take your pick, will soon be known as McGone. GOOD RIDDANCE!

• inonewordraider

tell me why i shouldn’t take stanford +2 over Cal or Raiders +4 over Jax?

• R8ER MIKE

The Beeech Diggity always says -
    PUFF PUFF THEN KEEP ON PUFFING

PMPP N FULL EFFECT

*******************
    lol … come on now Beeech ya gotta share the wealth brother !! you know what they say..
    a friend with weed is a friend indeed !!
    **************************************

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

inonewordraider Says:
    October 19th, 2012 at 1:38 pm

tell me why i shouldn’t take stanford +2 over Cal or Raiders +4 over Jax?
    =======================================

Putting money on heated rivals (Cal/Stanford) is never a good idea regardless of point spread. JMHO

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

The Beeech Diggity always says -
    PUMP PUMP THEN KEEP ON PUMPING
    ================================

That must be what he tells his gay lover friend.

• The Beeech Dawg

R8ER MIKE Says:
    October 19th, 2012 at 1:39 pm

The Beeech Diggity always says -
    PUFF PUFF THEN KEEP ON PUFFING

PMPP N FULL EFFECT

*******************
    a friend with weed is a friend indeed !!
    **************************************

R8 Brah

I love to share the wealth. But I gotta bank some of that cash money first

Just keepin’ it real

• Gdog

Wheeler for the most part has played great this season, but he was the guy in the lazy zone at Atlanta that left Gonzalez wide open in the middle of the field.

Burris is the one that left him wide open on the 3rd and 6 play on the SIDELINE of all things!!… but he’s rookie.

Wheeler should have known better to close out the game.

Or Tarver should have just had Wheeler in M2M on Gonzalez both plays… instead of the zone prevent, but that’s another discussion that I don’t think any reporter asked the coaching staff about.

• Raider4Life209

Coaching differences:

Hue Jackson

Dennis Allen
    —————————————————–
    Coaching differences:

Dennis Allen:

Any other NFL Head Coach with more than one year coaching experience at the coordinator level:
    ” Its my team, I’m going to appoint a defensive captain that is a leader and not one facing possible jail time, jogs around the field, and doesn’t represent what I want on defense.” Better yet, I’m going to be able to evaluate talent BEFORE the season starts so I don’t put my team in a position to lose games.” ”

But I’m also not Dennis Allen, so I Will make adjustments at halftime and not smile and make jokes after the Broncos just finished kicking my teams teeth in and handing me the worst Raider loss to the Broncos since the ’60s.”

Saying Dennis Allen is a better coach then Hue Jackson is like saying your kid is the smartest kid in special ed.

• The Beeech Dawg

Seymour Bush Says:
    October 19th, 2012 at 1:42 pm

The Beeech Diggity always says -
    PUMP PUMP THEN KEEP ON PUMPING
    ================================

That must be what he tells his gay lover friend.

———

Grab your nachos, PMPP Brothers
    The Bust MELTDOWN is in full effect!

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

poor poor little yappy dog. She confuses me for someone who cares.

• http://ggeden.blogspot.com/ GG

At the moment TP6 is being Rodgered, as in learning like Aaron Rodgers behind a grizzled vet (Favre/Palmer).

When TP6′s time comes, you will hear DA/RM endorse him in the media sessions, and woe to you who doubted, who think his inactivity is a sign DA/RM don’t want a bar of him.

Agree tho that Knapp/DAs lack of use of Pryor and Reece is detrimental to the potential explosiveness of this offense.

• theghostronin79

Such volumes have been spoken, in something so subtle as a green dot…..on another helmet.

RoMac is in the POSITION of the defensive leader…
    But is NOT the leader…Not anymore. (Officially anyway)

POOOWWWWW

• Gdog

Kinda tough to have the leader of anything be one of the worst players on the team.

This can only help.

• RaidersOne

The Beeech Dawg Says:
    October 19th, 2012 at 1:17 pm
    Brahs, Wrecks N Effect AM rehearsal was OFF THE CHAIN!

Special props go out to Easy E, Kool Moe Dee and Young MC

STAY REAL, BRAHS
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Beeechy Baby/Queer Nation,

Those new moves: they are cornhole 1 and 2?

• edward teach

LMN,

I don’t want to draw this out any longer, but the reason Fuglsang is not higher in the world rankings isn’t because he’s “meager”, and you know it. Look at his palmares, and also the fact that he rode in the service of the Schlecks while at Saxo. Add to that the fact that RS shut him down from the big events this year when they found out he was leaving in order to conserve UCI points for their own team, and the ranking doesn’t tell the story at all. He won both stage races he entered after not making the Tour team.

You do make very valid points about the Alpe d’ Huez climbs, and if I remember correctly there was some buzz about the times recorded there a year or so ago. There was even some recent mention about the speeds Wiggins and Froome were riding this year, although everyone swears up and down that those two are part of the new breed that doesn’t do drugs. As I mentioned, I suspected Lance and his boys a long time ago; I guess I just prefer to see proof before I declare something like that to be true, since I’m not in the position to see it with my own eyes.

Don’t know if you saw ESPN’s 30 for 30 show about Ben Johnson, but you might want to check it out if you get the chance. He was a pretty obvious case, essentially because he had never demonstrated world-class talent before he “all of a sudden” got very, very fast.