Final: Raiders 26, Jaguars 23, OT

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Sunday, October 21st, 2012 at 5:33 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Beat a hasty retreat downstairs before I got a chance to post this . . .

Sebastian Janikowski kicked a 40-yard field goal following a fumble recovery by Joselio Hanson as the Raiders escaped with a 26-23 overtime win over the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Oakland, 2-4, trailed 20-6 entering the third quarter and generally had itself to blame for the Jaguars being in position to win.

Jacksonville won the toss, got the first possession in overtime, and wide receiver Cecil Shorts III was stripped by Lamarr Houston on a short gain on third-and-21.

After quarterback Carson Palmer kneeled on the ball one time, Janikowski kicked the game winner to send the Jaguars to their fourth loss in five defeats.

Palmer had tied the game with a 1-yard run in the fourth quarter to cap a 58-yard drive.

It came after Oakland had considered sending the field goal team on the field with 3:53 remaining to cut Jacksonville’s lead to 23-19.

Oakland thought better of it, called time out _ it was their last time out and came back with a an end zone heave from Palmer to Darrius Heyward-Bey. He was fouled by Aaron Ross in the end zone, giving the Raiders the ball at the 1-yard line.

Following a Jacksonville penalty for too many men on the field, putting the ball at the half-yard line, Palmer snuck in for the score to tie the game 23-23.

It capped a 58-yard drive, with the big play an 18-yard strike to a leaping Streater on third-and-6 to 25-yard line.

The Raiders forced to punts before the end of regulation without letting Josh Scobee within field goal distance, punted once themselves, and took over at their own 12 with 29 seconds left.

Following a 13-yard run by Darren McFadden to the Raiders 31-yard line, Palmer spiked the ball with 11 seconds left and found Streater for a 23 yards to the 46-yard line. Sebastian Janikowski was short on a 64-yard field goal attempt as time expired.

The Raiders pulled within a score on a 31-yard field goal by Janikowski, with Oakland penalizing itself out of the red zone and settling for a field goal with 6:52 left in the fourth quarter.

After the Jaguars’ first score on an 80-yard drive _ and a 42-yard touchdown pass from Gabbert to Shorts on a blown coverage _ the Raiders essentially gift-wrapped the next 16 points, with Jacksonville needing only 33 net yards to get to 23 points.

A 5-yard Rashad Jennings run capped a 16-yard drive courtesy of a muffed punt on a fair catch by Phillip Adams.

A 50-yard field goal by Scobee resulted from a desperation back-handed attempt at a shovel pass while going down from Palmer, with Derek Cox getting the interception.

A 40-yard field goal by Scobee came on a 4-yard drive courtesy of a 28-yard punt return by Mike Spurlock, setting up a 17-yard drive to the Raiders 22.

Finally, a 45-yard field goal by Scobee resulted from a sack-fumble of Palmer, the Jaguars recovering at the Oakland 24.

• ChrisinNC

I’m frustrated as heck… But happy too. As mad as that game made me, I couldn’t help but jump up and raise my fists sky high when the fg sailed through.

I don’t see how some of you can be a true fan and honestly be okay with going out and losing for a draft pick. Even in our worst years, that final game of the season, I wanted one thing: A win.

• Raider E

This win does one thing…..Shut off the conspiracy theorists.

ChrisinNC Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 6:43 pm

*******************************************************

When a team is 1-7, I would agree to lose for a better pick. Much like the Colt’s did a year ago.

• lefty12

Eastoak-why aren’t you upset Cable wasn’t rehired?We were losers for 8 years before he became coach.As HC he brought the team up to 8-8.Didn’t he deserve another year?

• nycraider

Raider Riff Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 6:35 pm
    Pathetic showing.

I dont want to hear any crap about a “win being a win”.

We still tried to lose that game.

That game didnt feel like a win. Just barely better than a loss.

All I can say is, build on it. Beat KC and we are just a game away from .500 and just a game away from a 3 game win streak.

After a 3 game win streak, anything is possible.

But our O-Line has to pull their heads out of there a55es. Meyers cant block. Briesel sucks. Palmer keeps getting killed. Veldheer is unrecognizable. Just plain pathetic.

I’ll watch next week. But only half heartedly like I did this week. This team is consistently inconsistent and it is beyond frustrating. It’s not scheme, its not playcalling, its not coaching. It’s execution. Im tired of watching guys drop balls that I would catch. Counting the preseason, I think we’ve dropped 6 TDs in the endzone to date. Just pathetic.
    —————–
    we wont be overconfident going into KC , which we might have been with a blowout. this was the biggest comeback win in a long time. thats a good sign..

• http:///Albert_B_Paine Albert Bigelow Paine

Moore almost cost us the game by not getting that first down, though. Any other team would but the Jags would have got in field goal range after that.

• Raider E

———————————

cosigned

• bigsnow81

A win next week will get this team motivated to play hard the rest of the season.

• RaidO

This is a “Draft pick” season. This win just hurts the pick number.

TRUTH

• eastoaklandraider

DJ Johnny Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 6:43 pm
    eastoaklandraider Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 6:40 pm
    I’m happy we won but a win like today can provide a false sense of improvement and thats what I’m fighting against.

They’re not total idiots. Are they?
    ————

thats up for debate.

lefty12 Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 6:45 pm
    *******************************************************
    Deserving or not the man is no longer a Raider.

• realtruraider

——————————————————

Nah, that already happened with the “morale victory” from last week, I have a feelin this game will wake there @ss up a bit.

• ChrisinNC

Bigsnow81 Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 6:45 pm
    ChrisinNC Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 6:43 pm

*******************************************************

——————————————————-

I guess we’re just wired differently. I’ve never been able to go into a Sunday and hope my team loses. Regardless of what kind of draft pick is up for grabs. Just ain’t got it in me.

RaidO Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 6:46 pm
    This is a “Draft pick” season. This win just hurts the pick number.

TRUTH
    *******************************************************
    The glass is half empty.

• mcfadden20.

RaidO Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 6:46 pm

This is a “Draft pick” season. This win just hurts the pick number.

TRUTH

Hey troll, how are you doing? are you saving some tears for next game , after we beat the KC Chiefs

• Raider E

We are going the right direction. We are not a playoff team, but we can get it together and give em a run for their money.

• realtruraider

Hue is the reason Cable went 8-8 PERIOD

• http:///Albert_B_Paine Albert Bigelow Paine

This team is still struggling with a new system. You never know when the offense might start clicking. If they can win next week, you never know what might happen. Denver is playing the Saints next week, they could lose that game.

• mcfadden20.

RaidO is a pathetic troll and he keeps coming back for more whooping

• bigsnow81

The defense is stopping the run. Win the next two games and then lets see if the team is for real verse the Ravens and Saints.

• http:///Albert_B_Paine Albert Bigelow Paine

Huff has been impressive at CB.

• eastoaklandraider

—————

maybe the comeback springboards us to 500 but with knapp at the helm it seems far fetched unless DA gets him in line since he hired him. this will tell a lot about DA.

• bigsnow81

feelin this game will wake there @ss up a bit.

163.ChrisinNC Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 6:48 pm
    Bigsnow81 Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 6:45 pm
    ChrisinNC Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 6:43 pm

*******************************************************

——————————————————-

*******************************************************
    For me it’s playoffs or bust. If your team doesn’t make the playoffs then your not good.

• lefty12

161-That is my point.Neither is HJ so let it go and move on.

• http:///Albert_B_Paine Albert Bigelow Paine

The way they played today, I don’t think they can beat Tampa.

• eastoaklandraider

Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 6:50 pm
    Huff has been impressive at CB.
    ————–
    Another move Hue was gonna make from the begining.

• bigsnow81

I will always root for a win, don’t get me wrong. I will never watch a game wanting my team to lose. Although, at 1-7 your pretty much eliminated from the playoffs. So, winning just messes up your draft position.

Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 6:52 pm
    The way they played today, I don’t think they can beat Tampa.
    ******************************************************
    Cross this hurdle when it arises.

• realtruraider

The way they played in the 1st half they would be lucky to beat a HS team, but that schit isn’t goin to happen every week, that was just horrible football, we tried to give them the game but they didn’t want to take it.

• RaidO

Mcfadden20. Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 6:48 pm
    RaidO Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 6:46 pm

This is a “Draft pick” season. This win just hurts the pick number.

TRUTH

Broncos= Loss
    Chiefs= Win
    Panthers= Loss
    Chargers= Loss

4-12, 5-11, or 6-10

• bigsnow81

After that onside kick, I was pissed.

RaidO Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 6:56 pm
    Mcfadden20. Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 6:48 pm
    RaidO Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 6:46 pm

This is a “Draft pick” season. This win just hurts the pick number.

TRUTH

Panthers= Loss
    Chargers= Loss

4-12, 5-11, or 6-10
    ******************************************************
    Get off my cloud!!!

• lefty12

Alias is here in full force but maybe some of us can continue to talk positively about the Raiders.Everyone says Jacksonville is the worst team in the league and if we would have lost we would have been the worst.Haven’t they already won a game?Or is it possible that the saying on any given Sunday is actually true?

• SullivansMom44

Has anyone seen my son? He’s skipping out on all his meds and I can’t find him in the basement.

• realtruraider

eastoaklandraider Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 6:53 pm
    Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 6:50 pm
    Huff has been impressive at CB.
    ————–
    Another move Hue was gonna make from the begining.

——————————————————

He was wasn’t he

• RaidO

Buccaneers= Loss

• mcfadden20.

Phillip Wheeler is 1 of my favorite Raider now , true team player

• bigsnow81

I reserve the right to piss and moan only after a loss.

• eastoaklandraider

Lefty12 Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 6:45 pm
    ————–

to me cable just didnt have that IT facor or swagger that Hue had and I credit Hue for bringing our O back to respectability as the OC then HC. Cable was striped of playcalling and it was given to Hue and it paid immediate dividends.

• RaiderRetribution

I wonder Vehldeer no longer having Wisniewski playing beside him is effecting his play; there was definitely a lack of coordination between Vehldeer and Carlisle on that sack on Palmer with a fumble.

• nycraider

Eastoaklandraider Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 6:53 pm
    Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 6:50 pm
    Huff has been impressive at CB.
    ————–
    Another move Hue was gonna make from the begining.
    ———————————
    why the man crush on Hue, i understand all the injuries, al death, chuck b, but he and the team blew up at the end of the season and its not like he’s considered to be the next vince lombardi. isnt time to move on?

RaidO Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 6:58 pm
    Buccaneers= Loss
    *******************************************************
    Why are you a fan?

• mcfadden20.

RaidO Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Mcfadden20. Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 6:48 pm
    RaidO Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 6:46 pm

This is a “Draft pick” season. This win just hurts the pick number.

TRUTH

Get of this site Sully

RaiderRetribution Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 6:58 pm
    *******************************************************
    Oline is ineffective.

• eastoaklandraider

but yes Cable deserved another year lefty.

• http:///Albert_B_Paine Albert Bigelow Paine

Wimbley had a sack today. He has 2 on the season.

• mcfadden20.

bigsnow81 Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 6:59 pm

RaidO Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 6:58 pm
    Buccaneers= Loss
    *******************************************************
    Why are you a fan?

—-

He is not a fan , didn’t you get the memo yet? Troll alert

• RaidO

Bigsnow81 Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 6:59 pm
    RaidO Says:
    October 21st, 2012 at 6:58 pm
    Buccaneers= Loss
    *******************************************************
    Why are you a fan?
    =======================

I prefer reality. I stay away from “fantasy land” like you and Mcfadden20

• bigsnow81

There will always be a troll in here pissing on our team. Who cares move on our team is 2-4. We can be happy with a win.

• http:///Albert_B_Paine Albert Bigelow Paine

I believe in Dennis Allen. He is probably regretting the Knapp hiring at this point. But what are you going to do now? I guess you could promote Saunders.