Raiders sniffing first place in AFC West

By Steve Corkran
Sunday, October 28th, 2012 at 5:22 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Ignore the fact, if you will, that two of Oakland’s three victories are against 1-6 teams, but they are a Broncos loss to the Saints away from a first-place tie in the AFC West after their win against the Kansas City Chiefs today.
Sure, it was the Chiefs, just as last week it was the lowly Jaguars without their starting quarterback and starting running back for most of the game, but it’s also the kind of game the Raiders had a penchant for losing in recent seasons.
From that standpoint, give the Raiders credit for taking care of business and buying another week to get more players healthy and find some answers for their offensive inconsistencies.

– Running back Darren McFadden rushed for 114 yards Sunday. Make no mistake, most of that yardage came long after the outcome was sealed and the Chiefs had cashed it in for the day.
Best case, it’s a start. Worst-case, the Raiders still haven’t figured out a way to get McFadden untracked for an entire game.
At one point, he had 17 yards on 12 carries before he bursted for 19 yards. Late in the game, he tacked on a 28-yarder and finished with 73 yards once the Raiders led by 14 or more.
In other words, the run game very much remains a huge concern.

– The Raiders benefitted from four Chiefs turnovers — interceptions by Matt Giordano and Pat Lee, a fumble by quarterback Matt Cassel and a muffed punt by Javier Arenas.
That was more than enough to offset an interception of Carson Palmer on Oakland’s first offensive play.

– Former Raiders cornerback Stanford Routt intercepted Palmer on a pass for Darrius Heyward-Bey to start the game. From there, the Raiders got the better of Routt, by far, the rest of the game.
Heyward-Bey put a move on Routt on a sideline pass that Heyward-Bey turned into a 32-yard touchdown. Routt also was late making the play on a post route by Denarius Moore that went for a touchdown.
Routt said he enjoys getting paid by “half the AFC West.” On Sunday, he helped both teams, so that’s only fitting.

– The Raiders offensive line did a much better job looking after Palmer today, as promised.
Palmer got smacked around pretty good against the Jaguars a week earlier, prompting the offensive linemen to redouble their efforts and make a point of playing better against the Chiefs. It worked.
Palmer wasn’t sacked on 28 dropbacks, and he wasn’t hit much, either. Palmer did have at least three passes tipped at or near the line of scrimmage.
Overall, Palmer finished 14 of 28 for 209 yards. However, he had a handful of passes dropped that were right on the money,

– The Raiders committed only two penalties for 20 yards today, which represents a huge improvement over the past couple of games.
The Chiefs, by comparsion, got called for five penalties for 40 yards.

– Philip Wheeler led the Raiders with 11 tackles and recorded one of his team’s three sacks. Rookie Miles Burris added sevent tackles.
Rolando McClain rounded out the solid game for the linebacking corps with a sack of Brady Quinn and a few other key plays.

– Coach Allen opted against activating linebacker Aaron Curry to the 53-man roster. He has another week-plus to decide whether to activate Curry, waive him or place him on injured-reserve.
Allen said he anticipates Curry being activated before the 21-day window expires, perhaps in time for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers game next Sunday.

• RAIDERMAN99

Dakota Says:
    October 29th, 2012 at 9:48 am
    Our defense is getting better because of the past two weeks? Sorry, I am not buying it yet. Jax lost their best player minutes into the game and then their starting qb. KC is so bad they have not lead a game in regulation and went some 33 straight possessions without scoring a td.

TB will be a better test for our d. Our d looked like a fking joke just a few weeks ago against dung ER.

I think the atl game was mOre Ryan fking up than our d playing that well.

I remain a skeptic.
    ==============================================
    You could be right. No doubt Jax and KC aren’t good measuring sticks.

Still, we did a pretty good job of limiting KC’s run game.

Could be a mirage, I’m not going to forget getting demolished in Miami and Denver, but we’re showing signs of coming around.

Hopefully it’s not all due to the level of competition.

• DJ Johnny

I’m old school when it comes to Raiders Chiefs. ANYTIME we win against them is a cause for a at least a mini celebration.

It’s a rivalry game no matter what the records are and when we win…it’s awesome.

I realize KC is a bad team and it’s no reason to buy SB tickets yet, but it’s the Chiefs…on the road at Arrowhead. That still means something in my mind.

Especially after the 28-0 beatdown we had last yr. in Palmer’s first appearence and having to hear all the KC fans give us crap for that…well now we’ve won two in a row from them…both at Arrowhead.

I don’t think beating the Chiefs will ever become meaningless for me…regardless of the records coming into a game.

• Raider Riff

Bcz24 Says:
    October 29th, 2012 at 7:42 am
    The penalty on Branch for the batted ball was because he batted it forward. You can knock a ball OOBs anytime so long as it is not advanced.

————-

The ref’s had no proper angle to make that call.

Im aware what the rule was, but they threw the flag and then figured it out after the fact.

FK KC!!!!
    They beat our ass last year, when CP3 came off the couch.
    They gets NO LUV from DMAC!!!!!
    Pay back b!tches!!!

• DMAC

And no, I don’t care what their record is or how their playing.
    A win is a win.

• DJ Johnny

RAIDERMAN,

The Miami beatdown is a little more palpable…not a lot… but after seeing wht they did to the Jets yesterday?

All the experts agree Miami has a good D…and our defense was still getting it’s bearings at that time.

I still don’t like it, but i feel a little..less worse about it.

Denver is a different story. Manning looks to be getting better and better. He looks better than I’ve ever seen him and they get stronger as the season rolls on.

Since the 2nd half of the SD game they’ve been a freaking juggernaut…almost unstoppable.

The league has had years and years to gameplan against Manning and he just continues to torch everybody.

What is the secret code to stopping “ole moonface”?

• ddsman

Hey overexcited morons…We have just BARELY beat the worst team in the NFL, and hardly dominated the 31st. Thus, everyone calm the F down about offense and defense. We have seen nothing other than better run D -ie 1) We can’t run the ball 2) We can’t effectively move the ball in the red zone 3) Our pass defense is still horrid and 4) We still have too many 3 and outs.

Why don’t we just wait until we beat a few quality teams to get excited?!?!

• DMAC

Can’t believe their are so many whining little b!tches in here.

A win is a win against whomever.
    How many times have we lost games, we should of won?
    Enjoy some victories and STFU!

• Dakota

A win is a win…..if only I had a quarter for every time I’ve heard that in here over the past 6years I’d have, well, $5 or so!

• DJ Johnny

745.DMAC Says:
    October 29th, 2012 at 9:58 am
    DJ Johnny Says:
    October 29th, 2012 at 9:56 am

737.DMAC Says:
    October 29th, 2012 at 9:53 am
    I remain a skeptic.
    =======

……….and a sorry Cubs fan

Give him credit for admitting he’s a Cubs fan at least.

Cub fans and Raider fans are the best fans there are…cuz they can NEVER be accused of being frontrunners.

Frontrunning fans that live on the West Coast and go out and buy Tom Brady jerseys are the worst kind of fans in existence.
    ===========

No bandwagon here buddy.
    A’s
    Raiders
    Warriors
    Cal fan
    You must be talking about fans from SF.

No, I wasn’t talking about you. I’m talking about the idots I saw at a sports bar on Venice beach two yrs. ago. I remember thinking what pathetic bandwagon jumpers they were.

DJ Johnny Says:
    October 29th, 2012 at 10:13 am

745.DMAC Says:
    October 29th, 2012 at 9:58 am
    DJ Johnny Says:
    October 29th, 2012 at 9:56 am

737.DMAC Says:
    October 29th, 2012 at 9:53 am
    I remain a skeptic.
    =======

……….and a sorry Cubs fan

Give him credit for admitting he’s a Cubs fan at least.

===========

No bandwagon here buddy.
    A’s
    Raiders
    Warriors
    Cal fan
    You must be talking about fans from SF.

==========

I knew you weren’t talking about me, but unfortunately their out there.

• DJ Johnny

757.ddsman Says:
    October 29th, 2012 at 10:11 am

Why don’t we just wait until we beat a few quality teams to get excited?!?!

I cant speak for others but ANYTIME we get a win….espcially against a rival like the Chiefs…i’m gonna be happy about it.

It doesn’t mean we’ve finally arrived as a team by any means…but it’s a win against the hated Chiefs…and that’s worth something to old school Raider fans.

It just is. I have no delusions of grandeur about it.

• DJ Johnny

759.Dakota Says:
    October 29th, 2012 at 10:13 am

LOL…

• Raider Riff

DJ Johnny,

The Miami game isnt any easier to swallow. We blew that game and its a game we’re going to wish we had later in the season.

The missed tackles and dumb mistakes were not and are not acceptable.

We’re still making the same mistakes on offense.

We appear to have fixed the defensive problems.

Dakota Says:
    October 29th, 2012 at 10:13 am

==========

Those Cubs will make everyone rich!

• Raider Riff

Im definitely NOT one of those who believes “a win is a win”.

• DMAC

Although the run game wasn’t it’s best again, atleast they kept CP3 upright the whole game.

• Dakota

I hope we can find a sucker to take Kelly, Seymour, McClain, branch or curry off our hands by Tuesday.

• Raider Riff

DMAC Says:
    October 29th, 2012 at 10:26 am

————-

Pass protection did seem to improve. It’s too bad we couldnt make them pay considering all the drops.

Hey Knappy!
    How about a few power plays w/ Schmitt as our lead blocker????

• hwnrdr

Dakota Says:
    October 29th, 2012 at 10:29 am

For…who???

• Plunketthead

Plunkdiction time

This week we will start hearing stories about what a great job the DA is doing in Oakland.

If we beat the mouseketeers the DA will be the lead story on many talk shows that week

Best year ever!!

• Dakota

Hwnrdr, for picks baby!

• hwnrdr

Tampa will be a good test, at home none the less!
    Greg Schiano has got them playing hard as well and seems like a no BS guy!

• hwnrdr

Dakota Says:
    October 29th, 2012 at 10:38 am
    Hwnrdr, for picks baby!

So, tank the season? Just asking

• Dakota

Tank the season? The season was over when we started 0-2…time to jettison some of the dead weight that is holding our salary cap hostage and load up on picks.

I understand that many of you are still hoping the body rises from the casket at the wake, but I will leave that to the blind hope of the child-like mind.

Denver is going to win this division easily and we will be about 6-10.

Long term thinking is what we need now.

• DMAC

O-line is going to have to keep CP3 upright for this game. Tampa’s run D is no joke.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

Marks hair Says: I wont drink donky coors either haha. r8eray Says: Donkey beer $ucks!!

After decades of not liking Coors, it started tasting good to me about five years ago. Hope it’s not latent donkeyism or adult onset idiocy.

Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure Says:
    October 29th, 2012 at 10:47 am

==========

I call it pee-pee water.
    Drink 1 and piss out 2.

• Plunketthead

Long term thinking while winning every game we came.
    8-8 is not out of reach. 9-7 may be pushing it but its not out of reach.

The club has been improving steadily under DA. Yesterday was a great game and game plan. Wearing them down in the 4th quarter was a big deal for me.

• chuck

We need to keep huff and lee at cb,they are playing good ball.

In other news…….

Nnamdi keeps getting toasted!!

• RAIDERMAN99

One mystery of the 2011 season to me was the virtual disappearance of the no huddle after the SD game.

CP and the O sure looked good running the no huddle in SD, yet we hardly used it down the stretch.

Still not sure why that happened.

Krapp is crap, he’s a horrid play caller and an abysmal OC, but at least he deserves some credit for recognizing that CP does a very good job of running the no huddle and is making extensive use of it.

• DMAC

Carson Palmer clearly stated Sunday night that Denarius Moore is his go-to guy.
    Moore has a touchdown in three straight games and is averaging a hefty 16.1 yards per reception. “I think everyone knows that he’s the man in our locker room, but I don’t know if guys around the league know about him yet,” Palmer said. “He’s young and has had some injuries, but he is finally healthy.” Moore gets to face the bottom-barrel secondaries of the Bucs, Ravens and Saints in the next three weeks.
    Source: Contra Costa Times

• ghosttothepost

The Raiders D line — anchored by Seymour — dominated yesterday’s game. Is Seymour overpaid? Yes. Is he helping the team right now? Undeniably yes. I think his bum knee is feeling better and it’s showing in his play. Outside of his outrageous salary — which isn’t his fault — Seymour is playing well right now and should get some love in here.

• Plunketthead

Back in the early 70′ Coors was not sold out east and every relative that came to vegas wanted Coors to take home.
    I worked with two old bricklayers in 76 and one of my jobs as labor was to make sure Coors beer was cold. They started drinking about 9 and the one old boy had a heart attack and died on the scaffold right when we went down for lunchbreak. I can still still picture it to this day.

He died with a serene look on his face and that cold can of Coors in his hand

• hwnrdr

Hmmm…I believe Rhonde Barber still has something left…

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

RAIDERMAN99 Says:
    October 29th, 2012 at 10:03 am

You could be right. No doubt Jax and KC aren’t good measuring sticks.
    ===========================================

I don’t know about that. Joke-sonville played GB pretty tight yesterday in GB. And most of you were saying that Miami might be the worst team in the NFL. Well, they’ve won three straight and are right behind NE.

• oklahomaRaider18

Jared Cook Jr wants out of Tennessee….

• inonewordraider

Dakota Says:
    October 29th, 2012 at 10:45 am

Denver is going to win this division easily and we will be about 6-10.

Long term thinking is what we need now.
    ______________
    who’s trading for Seymour, Mcclain, Kelly or Branch with their contracts?

• Charlie

Anybody who thinks a new GM and coaching staff should have this team 6-1 at this point is delusional.

We have made horrible player decisions in free agency and ignored our lines in the draft for the last ten years.Not just some bad ones but a lot of horrible ones.

JR,Napolean Harris, Teyo Johnson, Phil Buchannon, Gibril wilson, Webster Slaughter, Randy moss, Javon Walker, Deangelo Hall, Gerard Warren, Terdell Sands.

Too many people on this blog are football ignorant.
    We have been pathetic for a decade. Not just bad but PATHETIC. Pissing away player salaries on guys like Routt.

Be thankful that we are on the right track and get ready for a heavy dose of offensive and defensive line draft picks.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

ghosttothepost Says:
    October 29th, 2012 at 10:57 am

========================================

I love some of the posters in here saying the Seymour play was stupid. Then some talk Raider football and say where is it? Raider football is big, tough, mean football to just after the whistle. THAT is what that play was. Raider football is about guys coming out wanting to fight. That’s what that play was. Seymour maybe the ONLY guy who is ready to fight. Raider football is about laughing while the other team is writhing on the ground and pissed off. That’s what Seymour brings. I wish others brought it.

• inonewordraider

_______
    amen

• inonewordraider

don’t look now, but teams won’t even thow huffs way!

• Dakota

Inoneword,

Like I said, I hope we can find a sucker or two to take some of those guys. Maybe there is a team out there who wanted to draft McClain and have not paid attention to what a flop he has been, or maybe they think he can play in a 3-4.

Maybe a contending team is looking to buttress their d-line with Kelly or Seymour?

Maybe a team needs a guy to watch wrs catch Tds and then point at his teammates like it was all them? If so branch is your man!

• ghosttothepost

S. Bush — that’s exactly right. Seymour personifies Raider defense like it used to be played. Knock em down and then stomp in em once they’re down. I’ll take an entire D made up of Seymour’s nasty attitude.

• Plunketthead

We have played some very good teams in
    Dolphins
    Steelers
    Falcons
    Mules

SD,KC and Jax all have decent defenses

I like our next 9 games and who knows maybe McGahee or Manning get injured. I like our chances

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

Chuck Says:
    October 29th, 2012 at 10:51 am
    We need to keep huff and lee at cb,they are playing good ball.

========================================

Spencer can replace Lee. Huff should stay at CB for now.

Plunketthead Says:
    October 29th, 2012 at 11:07 am

We have played some very good teams in
    Dolphins
    Steelers
    Falcons
    Mules

SD,KC and Jax all have decent defenses

=========

Me 2nd that!

What about Hanson?
    He’s been playing fairly well as our nickel back, after getting torched early in the season.