Raiders winning despite growing injury list

By Steve Corkran
Monday, October 29th, 2012 at 2:07 pm in Oakland Raiders.

The expected return of cornerback Ron Bartell to practice this week comes as a bit of good news for the Raiders as they persevere despite a long list of injured players.
Bartell went down with a shoulder injury in the regular-season opener against the San Diego Chargers on Sept. 10, and he missed the past six games while on injured-reserve/designated to return.
Bartell isn’t eligible to play in a game until Nov. 11, when the Raiders play the Baltimore Ravens.
Shawntae Spencer, the other starting cornerback, has missed the past five games with a foot injury. There is no timetable for his return.
The injuries to Bartell and Spencer prompted the Raiders to move free safety Michael Huff to cornerback.
Allen said Monday that he hasn’t decided whether to leave Huff at cornerback once Bartell returns or move him back to free safety.
Bartell’s return comes at a time when the Raiders added a few more names to an injury report that featured 20 players for Sunday’s game against the Kansas City Chiefs.
Backup running back Mike Goodson suffered a turf-toe injury Sunday and center Stefen Wisniewski hurt an ankle.
Allen said he is hopeful that Goodson and Wisniewski will recover well enough to play against the Buccaneers on Sunday.
Goodson’s injury is the one of most concern, Allen said. If Goodson can’t play Sunday, second-year back Taiwan Jones and fullback Marcel Reece would pick up the slack behind lead back Darren McFadden.

– Allen has succeeded where so many of his predecessors failed in terms of curbing the penalties.
Then-coach Hue Jackson last season promised that he would get the problem under control, even if it took all season.
As it turned out, Jackson left town with his name attached to a season in which the Raiders set league marks for most penalties (163) and yards penalized (1,358).
Through seven games, the Raiders have committed 42 penalties (tied for 26th) and been penalized for 331 yards (27th). They are on pace for 96 penalties for 757 yards this season.
“It’s the players,” Allen said. “We can preach the message and we’ll continue to preach the same message day in and day out. That won’t change. But, really, as with most things that happen successfully on the football field, it’s because the players understand that it correlates to winning and losing games.”

– The league pushed back the trade deadline from Tuesday to Thursday at 1 p.m. Allen said he won’t rule out the Raiders making any trades between now and the deadline.
“We’ll look and see what’s out there,” Allen said. “We’re not going to close all our doors to anything that might be available.”
Last season, the Raiders traded for quarterback Carson Palmer two days after starter Jason Campbell suffered a season-ending collarbone injury.

– Rookie Rod Streater has emerged as the Raiders clear-cut No. 3 wide receiver through seven games.
Streater played 32 snaps Sunday against the Chiefs, while veteran Derek Hagan played only four and rookie Juron Criner one.
Jacoby Ford entered training camp as the No. 3 receiver, behind Darrius Heyward-Bey and Denarius Moore. However, he suffered a season-ending foot injury in an exhibition game.

– The Raiders held the Chiefs to 102 yards rushing Sunday, though 53 of those came on nine quarterback scrambles.
The Raiders are 11th against the run so far, at an average of 102.1 yards per game and tied for ninth in yards per carry (3.9).
Last season, the Raiders finished 27th against the run (136.1) and last in yards per carry (5.1).

– Allen gave his players the day off Monday as a reward for how well they played against the Chiefs. They return to practice Wednesday in preparation for the Buccaneers.
“There are times during the season where players need a mental break and a physical break,” Allen said. “I felt like, we had the bye, we’ve gone through three straight tough weeks, it was time to give them a little bit of a mental break.”
Even so, numerous players showed up at the team’s facility to get a jump on breaking down video.

• Kiwi_Blade

I like the idea of patience.

However, patience needs to be tempered with ruthlessness.
    Rome was not built in a day – it took time.
    It also took the vicious slaughter of millions of Celts, Huns, Vandals and other barbarians.

Time and ruthlessness together built an Empire.

Al was ruthless but he was also impatient.
    Promising coaches were purged before their plans could be finalized.

Reggie needs TIME to assess what is working and what is not, and then RUTHLESSNESS to weed out the inefficient and the non performers.

October 29th, 2012 at 11:34 pm
    I’m glad Mark hired Mckenzie, he’s pretty solid so far. But saying Al would approve, who really knows? At least Mckenzie used to play for us, that was always a positive in Al’s book.

Listen I don’t know if ur Raider nation family or just a troll

But if your a nation guy why would you care what the whiners can is saying ?

We are on the upswing and won 2 in a row , we will stay in this if we win again next week ..

Jus ignore the trolls baby

• the_kid101

Hey Mcfadden20, I’ve been on this blog since before 2006, just because I don’t always comment, doesn’t make me any less. Who are you to say ANYTHING to me thru a chat box?

Kiwi_Blade Says:
    October 29th, 2012 at 11:38 pm
    I like the idea of patience.

However, patience needs to be tempered with ruthlessness.
    Rome was not built in a day – it took time.

Time and ruthlessness together built an Empire.

Al was ruthless but he was also impatient.
    Promising coaches were purged before their plans could be finalized.

Hope ur not a troll , post carries no weight when we’re winning

• the_kid101

Im just saying things the way I see em..if you see things differently then its whatever. We can have a good debate. I’ll always be real and still a true silver and black homie though irregardless.

October 29th, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Hey if you been on this blog since 2006 then you should know Sullivan is admitted Whiners fan and a troll , why are you even feeding him , when everybody hates him in here.. Shouldn’t you be like getting excited about 2 wins in a row and helping the nation get rid of trolls ,instead of feeding the trolls and posting non sense that carries no weight

• Space Heater

Mcfadden20. Says:
    October 29th, 2012 at 11:28 pm
    RaiderDuck Says:
    October 29th, 2012 at 7:18 pm
    updated******

join me in my quest to get rid of idiots and trolls and others by ignoring these guys who we can’t have any common sense conversations with and who only spew hate and more hate
    here are some names i know of and if you know more guys , you can add them to the list

___________________________________________

1. Sullivan44
    2. Mistic
    3. Fangs
    4. Oakfoshow
    5. Al_is_theraiders
    6. AmysInCharge
    7. MistaBrown
    8. Fred
    9. Barney Rubble

October 29th, 2012 at 11:41 pm

The things the way you see them? all the negativity makes so much sense after 2 game win streak

34-13 Raiders :)

• mcfadden20.

Sullivan decided to show up after the Whiners won , hahahaha hahahaa

• Space Heater

So does all Raider support have to be patient and ride DAs’ and knapps jock strap and support the ZBS game plan in order not to be considered a troll?

Atleast he’s smarter than Mistic

• the_kid101

Hey man, Im excited for the 2 wins–but cmon they were against the 2 worst teams in the NFL.

I don’t care who that dude roots for, At least HE is actually posting real comments, Whereas YOU are just tryna clown on people.

I don’t put people down homie, I motivate them.

Space Heater Says:
    October 29th, 2012 at 11:49 pm

—/
    Lemme give you a tip ..come back when the Raiders are losing..maybe your trolling would work , not when the team is winning..

If you don’t learn from that ,you’re the dumbest troll in the world

• the_kid101

Mcfadden20 I only post real chit, don’t ever say I post “non sense that carries no weight” If you said that to someone on the street they would fire on you.

October 29th, 2012 at 11:51 pm

I don’t put people down homie, I motivate them.

2 worst teams who both came off byes to prepare for us and one of those worst team took GB to the wire , I’m guessing GB fans are doubting their team now cuz they barely beat one of the worst team in the league ..makes a lot of sense..wins only come because the other team sucks not because we beat them ?? hahaha yah shows how much of a great Raider fan you are

• Kiwi_Blade

mcfadden20. Says:
    October 29th, 2012 at 11:39 pm

Kiwi_Blade Says:
    October 29th, 2012 at 11:38 pm
    I like the idea of patience.

However, patience needs to be tempered with ruthlessness.
    Rome was not built in a day – it took time.

Time and ruthlessness together built an Empire.

Al was ruthless but he was also impatient.
    Promising coaches were purged before their plans could be finalized.

Hope ur not a troll , post carries no weight when we’re winning

———————–

Ok two questions.

1. do you agree?

2. why do you think a winning sequence of 2 games invalidates a long term strategy?

mcfadden20. Says:
    October 29th, 2012 at 11:57 pm

October 29th, 2012 at 11:51 pm

I don’t put people down homie, I motivate them.

—-
    What man? listen to yourself. What kind of funky logic are you using man?
    These teams were bad regardless if they had TWO byes in a ROW!
    GB aint the same team as they were when they went to the superbowl as well. Why you even bring them up?
    Coming outta left field with that one!

October 29th, 2012 at 11:55 pm

— coming at the time when trolls are in full force and supporting one of their bs posts when everybody hates that troll , doesn’t prove that ur a Raiders fan, sully claim to be a concerned Raiders fan as well but you can always see through his bs and he admits from time to time he’s a whiners fan when he’s drunk

• the_kid101

Anyways Im excited about how we’ve been minimalizing the penalties, and been playing 4 quarters these last 3-4 games.
    Theres definitely some positives to take away from these victories.
    Cant get too excited though these Jacksonville and KC were crap.
    The most exciting game for ME at least was how we showed up against the Falcons. Big time timmy jim.

October 30th, 2012 at 12:01 am
    mcfadden20. Says:
    October 29th, 2012 at 11:57 pm

October 29th, 2012 at 11:51 pm

I don’t put people down homie, I motivate them.

—-
    What man? listen to yourself. What kind of funky logic are you using man?
    These teams were bad regardless if they had TWO byes in a ROW!
    Coming outta left field with that one!

GB is not the same team ?? Hahahaha
    I rem Giants had even worse record through midseason last year and fans like you claimed they’re not the same team but guess who won the SB last season?? Hopefully you understand the morale of the story

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

McFadden, ask your doctor about the attention deficit team. My entire comment was about how I like the ownership, not hate it. Mark Davis is the owner of the Oakland Raiders. I’m cool with him. Doesn’t have enough of a track record yet for me to not believe in him.

Sullivan44 Says:
    October 30th, 2012 at 12:06 am

Aren’t you a whiners fan ??

• eastoaklandraider

McFadden20, chill with all the clean up the blog crap you sound like a hallway monitor in elementary school. You dont even realize you feed the so called “TROLLS” more than anyone as much as you talk about them. we are all grown men here if you dont like what someone has to say ignore them its that simple.

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

Kid101,

Looking at it from a legal standpoint, Al put Mark in charge. End of story. As to why he did? Nobody knows for sure. Everyone’s guess is speculation. But he did. As far as we know, everything we see right now is what Al intended, as hard as that may be for some to believe. If, say, John Herrera tried to sue the team right now because he has some fax or something claiming Al wanted him in charge of football operations, that’s how a court would likely rule. Herrera’s claims wouldn’t stack up to Al’s will, which I believe is the most powerful factor in these regards. Al left Mark in charge. As far as anyone knows, Al wanted Mark in charge, and wanted Mark to do what he felt was right. Otherwise, he would have left someone else in charge. Plenty of candidates right there in the building if Al had wanted his successor to do things his way.

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

MCFADDEN STFU! This isn’t your blog!

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

McFadden, if you ever went on a tangent like this at some bar or something someone would slap the crap out of you. Even a Raider fan. Just STFU. You’re annoying even your fellow die hards. Can’t you see that

• eastoaklandraider

hey sully were you anti Huejax?

GB is not the same team ?? Hahahaha
    —-
    Good point. Basically anything can happen in the NFL, just like “one of the worst teams can take GB to the wire.” Once the Giants got into the playoffs though, they were dangerous enough to win the Superbowl, just as ANY team could, since anything can happen in the playoffs.
    But honestly man that argument ur using is flawed. Keep using that kind of logic and you’ve probably convinced yourself that the Raiders are going to the Superbowl this season!
    LMAO. Ya I used to think that way, and see where that logic has gotten me these last 10 years. Big letdown man.

• http://www.raiderettes.com Sullivan44

Anyhow, I’m out of here for the night. Good luck to anyone who comments after me. You’ll get this annoying little pissant, McFadden20, accusing you of being me, and he’ll put you on his impotent, ignored “troll list”. God what a delusional fool who loves the illusion of having any kind of relevancy whatsoever. He couldn’t call the shots at a lemonade stand much less play hall monitor on a blog. Goodnight.

astoaklandraider Says:
    October 30th, 2012 at 12:10 am

real talk.
    Just because someone has a difference of opinion, don’t berate them. We’re all here for the same reason. We love the Raiders and we want them to win.
    We’re a team lets start acting like one.

• mcfadden20.

How are the Whiners fans doing in here?

October 30th, 2012 at 12:16 am
    GB is not the same team ?? Hahahaha
    —-

I never predicted we will go to the Super Bowl and I don’t care if real fans want to see consistency and want to remain skeptical ..I just have problem believing these guys are fans who are talking about the previous management , yes that (dead management) every day of their lives, I have hard time believing these guys are fans when they only show up when Raiders lose on Sundays and never show up when they win , Sullivan showed up right after the Niners game ended and kept bragging about them , and you guys have problem with me calling these trolls out and tell me I’m feeding this troll ..when you guys are agreeing with every bs this whiners fan spits out , maybe that’s your way of not feeding the troll

mcfadden20. Says:
    October 30th, 2012 at 12:56 am

October 30th, 2012 at 12:16 am
    GB is not the same team ?? Hahahaha

—-
    I don’t know man, just because I responded to him doesn’t mean I agreed with him.
    -Actually my second sentence I said i didn’t agree with him.
    -I don’t even know this guy, and don’t care what you think about him. If I find out he is BS then I won’t talk to him

Real talk, what is a troll? Every person u ask will prob give you a different answer.

Eastoaklandraider Says:
    October 30th, 2012 at 12:10 am

-//
    Yeah I feed the troll? How ??when I point this trolls out and tell them to stfu they usually leave and when I’m here after a while ,reading a new post and reading new comments I could see these trolls go on n on for hours talking about how every thing sucks about our team and how they’re talking about the same thing since 5 years , how our wins are fluke and how much good the team across the bay is and they get mad if some positive guy comes in here and attack that guy .. You accuse me of feeding him , tell me what do you get out of agreeing with these trolls, do they go like oh some one agreed with us we will leave the blog now , yeah right .. You only force these guys to stay here even longer and continue on about one thing for the whole day , it’s like a work place , there is one guy who talks everything negative about our QB and talks up every scrub black QB then there is this well known guy who freaking has to talk about someone who is not even living anymore like every single day and you guys agree with him and yet I’m the one who’s feeding the trolls?

• the_kid101

Mcfadden20 it doesn’t seem like u even read my posts. I was just inferring your logic was flawed when you brought up the GB thing.

–Anyways, I’m excited that we one these last games, and that we showed up big against the Falcons.

• mcfadden20.

Troll is the one who could care less what the other group or person is talking about , they just want to step in and spew their bs to fuk up experience of that group or person and they get pleasure out of that.. Look at Sully never showed up yesterday when we won and all of a sudden he’s on the blog after Niners won and telling us that’s what a real team looks like and Raiders suck.. He talks about them like they’re the Los Angeles Lakers of the NFL

mcfadden20. Says:
    October 30th, 2012 at 1:15 am

—-
    Everybody on this blog spews their own BS, they don’t have any hidden agendas like your implying though.
    Trolls to me are people who post random BS, and don’t make sense. Or are disrespectful.

October 30th, 2012 at 1:08 am

I been reading up all the posts , but to say we beat the bad teams or barely squeezed by them is just BS , we did what we had to on our schedule and we can’t freaking ask for undefeated teams every single week to prove to fans we’re good .. Not saying we’re good but we won is all that matters .. we game planned better and we played better in 2nd halves of games which we didn’t do at all last few years .. God knows how many games we just laid an egg in 2nd halves of those games past few years .. So I’m def proud of this team for taking this step and playing well even with run game not helping out and both of our corners injured , now am i saying we will keep winning rest of the year, nope but I’m def proud of the step this team is taking and I think they’re on the verge of getting this run game going and are going to get both of the starting CB’s back so I’m excited about that prospect , but I’m also aware we could face some major injuries and we could go winless rest of their year.. I just hope that never happens an this D keeps playing like the way it has been playing the last 3 weeks and running game going and we become a team that is one no team wants to face …

• the_kid101

You shouldn’t let some random dude get under ur skin so much, where you would draw up a blacklist tho. Everybody has equal rights to say whatever they damn well please. Thats whats great about the US.

mcfadden20. Says:
    October 30th, 2012 at 1:22 am

October 30th, 2012 at 1:08 am

—-
    Yeah man, that sounds right. Good post.
    Don’t think for a moment that Im not excited that we won these games, but I’m not going to start raving about our team until I see that we can compete at the highest levels.

—…
    No everybody doesn’t spew their own BS in here , Real Raiders fans come in here to talk about Raiders and Raiders only ,while people like Beech only come here to talk about the duece he took an hour ago , or people like Mistic always talking about how freaking Qb’s of certain skin are waves of the future and that certain color QB we had last year is better than our current QB and our current QB is the reason we always lose … And there is Sullivan who wants to remind us everyday how a successful franchise is run by pointing out the team across the bay and remind us fans who have been following this team for many years , that how f8cked up our previous Owner was , tell me what do call these kinda people, i don’t know what word we can use for them but I’ll def not buy these guys are Raiders fans no matter how many times they want to give their back handed compliments to this team

• the_kid101

We need to run the ball more, and stop passing the ball so much on first down. Next time ur at the raiders game and you hear someone chanting: “run the ball, run the ball!”
    You will know that is the_kid101

October 30th, 2012 at 1:29 am
    mcfadden20. Says:
    October 30th, 2012 at 1:22 am

October 30th, 2012 at 1:08 am

—-
    Yeah man, that sounds right. Good post.

—-

I’m not raving about them either but I think you would have to be some dumb guy to not see all the improvements we have made from years past … 1.. We always sucked on D , couldn’t stop run and couldn’t stop top teams ..we’re stopping the run and we have proven we can stop top O’s by limiting Atl O , I know it’s a small example but it was a good effort, 2. We have shown that we can make adjustments in 2nd halves.. Something we have sucked at and something we never did under hue no matter how many Hue lovers want him back , but he sucked in 2nd halves.. Our QB is throwing less picks with not much support , the only blemish we can point out is our running game sucks , but I see that turning as well and I can see this scheme paying hug dividends for the future … This scheme is known to turn late round picks and undrafted players into stars (All running backs under Shanahan, A Foster and many others , which saves the money and also is known to succeed with late round OL , so that can save us money and important draft picks to spend on likes of Wide receivers , Dl , Lbers and Cb’s

October 30th, 2012 at 1:31 am
    You will know that is the_kid101

We def did that and i believe our run and pass ratio was about 50/50 .. We jus need to get better at running the run plays better and McFadden has to get on phone with Arian Foster or someone and start hitting those open holes, our O-line is not consistent with opening up holes but McFadden is also doing bad job of finding them the few times they’re there

Well I’m out , you have a good night kid101

Raiders 34 – fake pirates 13

• mcfadden20.

Real quick before I go ., I would like to see these changes next year either through Draft of FA …#1 WR, RB that will be adaptable to ZBS(if we keep it) a ROT, a sack specialist , real MlB ,legit FS and n pretty good CB

mcfadden20. Says:
    October 30th, 2012 at 1:39 am

October 30th, 2012 at 1:29 am
    mcfadden20. Says:
    October 30th, 2012 at 1:22 am

October 30th, 2012 at 1:08 am

—-
    Yeah man, that sounds right. Good post.

—-

Good points. We have shown lots of improvement. Our LB’ers are coming up big this year, and are thriving in this scheme. Reggie has added some good guys, some are fill-ins, but they work for now.

The key thing here is that it’s hard to compare this team to years past. Everything is different. If we continue to improve, and not take steps back we will certainly be dangerous.
    We need to keep these core guys: Houston, Wheeler, Veldheer, Palmer, Mcfadden, Huff, Myers, Moore, Saughnessy, Wiz.

If we can find more gems like Burris, and draft well like I know Reggie will, we are contenders.

Night nation