Huff making the grade at cornerback

Michael Huff didn’t have much time to digest the switch from free safety to cornerback two games into the season. Yet, it hasn’t taken him long to make himself right at home.
In the past two games, Huff has been on the field in pass coverage for 84 plays. He had seven balls thrown his way during those plays, with one completion for 2 yards.
It’s enough to make coach Dennis Allen and defensive coordinator Jason Tarver think twice before moving Huff back to safety if Ron Bartell makes a successful return from a shoulder injury.
“Listen, I’m not ready to put him in the Hall of Fame yet, alright?” Allen said Wednesday. “I don’t think Willie Brown has anything to worry about yet. But he has improved. That’s what we expect and that’s what we will continue to expect that every day he has an opportunity to go out and work he’ll get a little bit better every week.”
Huff’s first three games at cornerback, he faced Ben Roethlisberger, Peyton Manning and Matt Ryan. Huff had his struggles during those games, to be sure. However, it also enabled him to learn trial by fire.
“I had those couple of rough games early,” Huff said. “I knew I would go through some growing pains. I had never really played outside for a whole stretch. I knew I’d go through some growing pains and I’m starting to learn from them.”
Indeed. Quarterbacks no longer are targeting Huff as often as Roethlisberger, Manning and Ryan did his first three games.
Yet, Huff said he still feels as if he is a target every game because he spent his first six NFL seasons playing mostly safety.
“They’re still looking at me,” Huff said. “Every time I’m out there, I think the ball is coming my way. (They look at me) like I’m a safety playing corner, especially anytime I’m out there against a big-time receiver, like this week against Vincent Jackson. Every time I’m out there lined up out there on him, I have to assume the ball is coming my way because I’m a safety out there at corner against their best receiver.”
Bartell takes great delight in chiding Huff for his seamless transition.
“I kid him all the time (that) he’s a hell of a lot better corner than he is safety,” Bartell said. “I’ve been impressed with Huff. That’s tough to ask a guy to do. He hasn’t played a lick of corner all camp and all OTAs and then guys go down and he’s able to go in in a pinch. He’s gotten better every game, and he takes pride in it. I’m really impressed with him. He’s a pretty good corner. He’a s great football player.”
Coincidentally, the Raiders are playing against a Tampa Bay Buccaneers team that is led by Ronde Barber, a career cornerback who switched to safety this season.
It’s widely considered more difficult for a player to go from safety to cornerback, rather than the other way around.
“It’s probably harder going from safety down to corner,” Barber said. “That’s not a transition you see very often. Actually, I can’t think of any that have actually done it off the top of my head.”

– Allen said he isn’t in any hurry to decide what to do with Bartell just yet.
Bartell practiced today for the first time since he suffered a shoulder injury in the regular-season opener Sept. 10. He isn’t eligible to play in a game until Nov. 11.
Allen said he will evaluate Bartell in the coming days before deciding how to proceed. The Raiders have 21 days to decide whether to activate Bartell to the 53-man roster, waive him or place him on season-ending injured reserve.

– Curious what the Raiders offensive game plan is going to be against the Buccaneers? Check out the stats, and you should get a pretty firm idea on what they’re going to do before the game starts.
The Buccaneers are tied for first in the league against the run, holding opposing ballcarriers to an average of 3.5 yards rushing through seven games. The Raiders are tied for 26th in yards per carry on offense at 3.5.
On the flip side, the Buccaneers are 31st against the pass, with an average of 309.6 yards per game so far. The Raiders are 10th in passing offense at an average of 264 yards through seven games.
That doesn’t mean that the Raiders won’t at least try to establish the run game, Palmer said.
“We’re never going to abandon the run. They are very good against the run, and they’ve struggled some against the pass and they’ve had some big plays happen to him over and over again. But it’s a good football team.”
Palmer said Allen pointed out to the players that the Buccaneers are a lot like the Raiders in that they started off slow, overcame adversity and now they are riding some momentum after stirring upset of the Minnesota Vikings on the road.
“If you’ve got four guys that can rush the passer like they do, you can’t just go out and throw the ball on every play, because those guys are going to get to you, they’re too good up front,” Palmer said. “But we’re never going to just go into a game and completely abandon the run game. We’re going to pick our spots and definitely go in and be physical and run the ball, but when we have our shots downfield we need to hit ‘em this week.”

– Buccaneers quarterback Josh Freeman is having a bounce-back season after a disastrous season last year.
He is the league’s eighth-highest-rated passer at 93.3, with 14 touchdowns and only five interceptions. This, from a player that was intercepted 22 times last season versus only 16 touchdown passes and finished with a pedestrian 74.6 passer rating.
In 2010, Freeman burst onto the scene as the unquestioned starter with 25 touchdowns and only six interceptions, as well as a 95.9 passer rating. He has nine touchdowns and one interception the past three games, with three touchdown passes in each game.
First-year head coach Greg Schiano said he and his offensive coaches broke down the video of Freeman’s past games and devised a strategy that centered on having him doing what he does best.
“We all spent time with him early on in the process, reviewing just so we knew where his basis was, and then Ron (Turner) and Mike (Sullivan) did an awesome job of teaching the system and continue to teach the system,” Schiano said. “We’re a long ways off from being all-in as far as implementation. What we’ve given him he has done a nice job with.
“The one thing about Josh is, he is just an incredibly hard worker and is committed to the whole process, the meeting room, walkthrough, classroom and practice. He loves every part of the preparation as well as at the game.”

– Here’s what Schiano thinks of Palmer after watching video of his play the first seven games.
“He’s a guy that there’s no uncertainty with what he wants to do,” Schiano said. “You can see he’s well coached, he’s been well coached. You can see the reads. He reads things very quickly. Just the entire Raider football team is a fast, fast football team. His receivers are fast, his running back is fast — running backs are fast. So you cannot make a mistake. If you do it gets exposed.”
Safe to say, Schiano is not in the camp that thinks Palmer isn’t the long-term answer for the Raiders at quarterback.

– Running back Mike Goodson said the turf-toe injury he suffered against the Chiefs isn’t about to keep him from playing in a game. Sure enough, he was at practice today acting as if nothing happened.
He said he got hurt at the end or a run when he jammed his toe as he was going to the ground.
Goodson and Darren McFadden credited the zone-blocking scheme for the Raiders late success against the Chiefs running the ball.
McFadden rushed for 73 yards on 12 carries in the fourth quarter after amassing only 41 yards to that point.
“Wear ‘em down, wear ‘em down,” Goodson said, “and it’ll start kicking in the third or fourth quarter.”
McFadden had runs of 19 and 28 yards in the fourth quarter en route to a 114-yard effort. He had only 17 yards on 12 carries at halftime.
“It’s one of those things, the zone scheme is designed to get 1 or 2 yards here and there, then eventually they’re going to start popping,” McFadden said. “That’s what happened last week.”

– Allen remains non-commital on whether he intends to activate linebacker Aaron Curry before the 21-day evaluation period expires next Wednesday.
“That’s a crystal ball you have to look in to say if there’s any chance that he wouldn’t (be activated),” Allen said. “Our anticipation is we will activate him. But again I don’t have that crystal ball.”
If the Raiders don’t activate Curry, their two others options are to waive him or place him on season-ending injured reserve. Curry missed all of training camp and the first seven regular-season games while recovering from sore knees.

Steve Corkran

• hwnrdr

Jano has earned Special Team’s Player of the Month for October!

• Just Fire Baby

Pat Lee > Stan Routt

Routt getting roasted and DVD inactive, WEEKLY.

The Reggie knocked it out the park with Pat Lee. He is better than a recent 3rd round pick and a guy making $7 million a year.

And not just a little better, but MASSIVELY better.

• Plunketthead

O
    This team was picked by everyone to finish last for a reason.

Hues gone :smile:

• hwnrdr

I must say though, in years past I am not too sure who on our team would have made an interception like the one Pat Lee did last week! Even after i re-watched that play, it was a darn good catch!

• The Big Banana

Just Fire Baby Says:
    November 1st, 2012 at 9:19 am
    Pat Lee > Stan Routt

Routt getting roasted and DVD inactive, WEEKLY.

And not just a little better, but MASSIVELY better.

——

Where are the folks that were upset with Reggie letting Routt and DVD walk? Anyone can criticize. I’d like to see these folks man up and say they were wrong. I remember them being pretty harsh in their criticism.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Plunketthead Says:
    November 1st, 2012 at 9:19 am
    O
    This team was picked by everyone to finish last for a reason.

Hues gone
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I wonder why? Rookie GM, Rookie HC, rookie DC, and Knapp??

Hue wasn’t a good HC, and I said that before, but him and Saunders were a better fir for our offense than Knapp.

• Priesttj12

because you called it the ‘NEW’ LB, there’s nothing NEW about it. It’s been going on for 60 years………lol

• http://www.GodIsImaginary.com RaiderDuck

AFAIK, the safety-to-cornerback switch has been done twice before and was successful neither time:

In the late 80s, Dwight Hicks of the Niners moved from free safety as part of a switch with Ronnie Lott. Lott thrived at safety and eventually became yet another Raider HoFer, but Hicks was gone the next year.

In the early 90s, the Jets moved Erik McMillan from safety to corner as well, and McMillan was out of the league in a couple of years.

• RaiderRetribution

Plunketthead, take the pumpkin off your head or at least then it around so you can see through the carved out sections:

Everywhere?! I think not.

Oline regress un run blocking, about same in pass protection;
    Dline regress in pass rush, vastly improved though in run defense;
    Special teams major regression.

Major improvements in WR & LB corp, overall teamwork, discipline, and respect for the game, work ethic, and desire to win.

• inonewordraider

all my non raider fan buddies know Jano’s the best in the league, what they don’t know is he’s only been to the probowl once

• Plunketthead

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

OK

• Priesttj12

Al Davis drafted a athletic MLB in Kirk Morrison but he wasn’t stout enough at the POA so he went out and got a traditional MLB very stout great size. The caveat is he’s not going to be a great nickle LB. There are very few MLB’s that can do both Ray Lewis being one of the few.

• Just Fire Baby

******************************

It’s new in that teams are throwing the ball more than ever now, so before that LB might go off the field 8-10 snaps a game, and now it is 15-20.

And you are seeing more 235 LB’s like Wheeler, more so than you say 15 years ago

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Better Fit*

• Plunketthead

I said everywhere but the run game. Defense is better and improving every week.

Special teams are improving as well. With Adams and Goodson as good as it got for us last year.

I am glad we agree

• inonewordraider

Seymour Kelly Houston
    Wheeler Mcclain Curry Burris

change it up on em Tarver!

• Just Fire Baby

Special teams major regression.

*****************************

Where so?

We didn’t return any punts for TD’s last year, and haven’t given up a punt or KO TD this year.

Other than Lechler stinking, Goethel acting the azz week 1 and Jacoby getting hurt for KO’s, where is this regression?

• Just Fire Baby

There are very few MLB’s that can do both Ray Lewis being one of the few.

****************************

That was my WHOLE POINT!!!

But you see “Just Fire Baby” in the title and just HAVE TO disagree with me, lol.

• r8eray

Janikowski kicked his way to player of the month award!!

Janikowski picked up the AFC award for the fourth time in his career. He made 10-of-11 field goals during the month and his only miss was a 64-yarder that would have set an NFL record if Janikowski made it. That kick came at the end of regulation against Jacksonville and Janikowski later won the game in the overtime with a 40-yard kick. Janikowski also picked up 13 touchbacks out of 19 kickoffs on the month.

• RaiderRetribution

As vastly improved Huff, Lee, and Hansen have been at cb, Bartell (and Spencer) just might be backups the rest of the season.

Not necessarily a bad thing; what was once our weakest unit (once again) could be our deepest.

• DMAC

Morning/afternoon peoples!
    Go Dubs!
    Not to late to jump on the bandwagon Faker fans.
    lol

• aig-raiders

Can’t believe they are picking the Raiders as favorites on PFT. This makes me nervous. I like being the underdog.

• The Big Banana

In fact, someone posted as recently as last week that Routt was better than any DB on our roster.

Meanwhile, Routt’s biggest accomplishment is his salary.

• http://raiders.com KoolKell

CanuckRaider Says:
    November 1st, 2012 at 7:55 am
    You’re a legend in your own mind Kell…LMAO.

Raider O Says:
    November 1st, 2012 at 7:59 am
    KoolKell Says:
    November 1st, 2012 at 7:52 am
    Guess who is following me on twitter? Steve Corkran. I bet non of the clowns in here have anyone that substantial following them.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

OMG
    OMG
    How did you get so lucky?

______________

haters

• aig-raiders

How about that Harden trade. Holy cow, we went beast mode last nite. Can’t believe OKC let him go.

• DMAC

I’m cool w/ Goodson returning kickoffs. I think he’s done a fairly good job. At least he brings back to the 20, unlike others we’ve had back there.

• aig-raiders

———
    So glad he got exposed like I’ve been saying on here for a few years. Not too long ago KK was on here touting Routt’s comp % against him as a key asset and putting him in the same league as Revis.

• DMAC

aig-raiders Says:
    November 1st, 2012 at 9:36 am

=========

He wanted to cash in and he did in Houston.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Blaming Goethel for the coaches mistakes?
    We value the LS position enough to have the highest paid LS in the game, but we don’t have a capable backup, and the backup according to the punter didn’t get any practice during the week.
    Keep blaming the talent!

Monkeys!!

• Just Fire Baby

Can’t wait for the Knicks to implode and the Rockets and Lin to exceed all expectations.

SI, LMAO at this one, had the Rockets as the worst team in the West, and the Knicks going to the Eastern Conference finals.

That will be an epic flop on both accounts.

• DMAC

I’m no monkey, I’m a gorilla!
    You racist!
    lol

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Good morning Mr. Prez.
    Vote Green in 2016!

• Just Fire Baby

O,

Terrell Pryor doesn’t get any practice, if he goes in the game can he just start throwing left-handed and blame it on no practice reps?

Players get paid a salary, not an hourly wage!!! If you are the backup LS, you better be able to LS, no matter if the coaches force you to practice or not.

• DMAC

Vote Green, if you know what I mean?

• poprox13

aig-raiders Says:
    November 1st, 2012 at 9:35 am

_________________

Saw that too, hope its not the kiss of death.

• The Big Banana

Aig-Raiders Says:
    November 1st, 2012 at 9:35 am

—–

Agree. Don’t like it.

• DMAC

Let’s just take care of business this Sunday.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Gorillas Rule!!!

• hwnrdr

DMAC Says:
    November 1st, 2012 at 9:35 am
    Morning/afternoon peoples!
    Go Dubs!
    Not to late to jump on the bandwagon Faker fans.
    lol

Alright DMAC, call me a Faker one more time…lol
    And sorry, I can’t be a fan of the Dubs!

• DMAC

hwnrdr Says:
    November 1st, 2012 at 9:43 am

DMAC Says:
    November 1st, 2012 at 9:35 am
    Morning/afternoon peoples!
    Go Dubs!
    Not to late to jump on the bandwagon Faker fans.
    lol

Alright DMAC, call me a Faker one more time…lol
    And sorry, I can’t be a fan of the Dubs!
    =========

You’ll come along brother.
    lol

• Just Fire Baby

I legitimately asked Laker fans at the time of the trade, if they could realistically expect Steve Nash to last the first month of the season without getting hurt.

First month!!!! Way off on my part, lol.

• DJ Johnny

422.aig-raiders Says:
    November 1st, 2012 at 9:35 am

I remember last yr. about this time…they did a piece on NFLN asking if the Raiders were a serious SB contender.

How quickly things change.

I too like being the underdog, but if we are constantly the underdog it means we’re never winning.

In this game, i’d rather be the underdog though.

• R8ER MIKE

Mr Prez. good day sir !!

• Priesttj12

413.Just Fire Baby Says:
    November 1st, 2012 at 9:29 am

******************************

****************************************************

This is not true at all this has been going on fron eons. The last big nasty MLB’s were in the 70′s and 80′s teams started to go away form it because in truth they threw the ball a TON in the late 60′s and 70′s and the MLB starting with the HB iso was getting victimized. When the HB start getting into passing gaem is when they went away from big physical MLB’s.

they sre as much a passing game as the old AFL be not by much because they damn near threw on every down as well. This is just history repeating itself. This is NOT NEW AT ALL………..period

• DMAC

The Dubs are deep. Their bench is pretty nasty. We finally added a little toughness to our team. I loved the Carl Landry signing. Gotta love what he brings to court night in and night out.

• Priesttj12

JFB just to help you out further, the only thing NEW about now is the RULES wont allow DB’s to bump’n'run the way they used to slow WR’s down. You can’t breath on these now and that’s why the passing stats are so huge but as far as throwing the football it’s nothing NEW…………..period

• DMAC

Bucs claimed CB Danny Gorrer off waivers from the Seahawks.
    Gorrer was waived on Tuesday. He appeared in 11 games for the Ravens last season, making five tackles. He’ll provide depth for a Bucs team that could be without Eric Wright (Achilles) in addition to Aqib Talib (suspension) this weekend.
    Related: Seahawks
    Source: Bucs on Twitter
    ==========

We still need to try to establish the run, that way it opens things up for our receivers to have a field day.

• DJ Johnny

I’m glad the rest of the game turned out to be a Routt toasting after that intial int.

I posted before the game I was concerned about Palmer going deep on him and Routt getting his revenge by playing out of his mind and making picks, and when the FIRST PASS was picked off by Routt I was in a state of “damitt..i knew it”.

Glad the rest of the way turned out the way it did.

• hwnrdr

LOL, DMAC…no I won’t…
    But yeah, The Dubs look good for a bit last night. Almost gave up a good lead, but at least they won!

• Just Fire Baby

Priest,

In 2011, teams threw more passes than ever before (post-merger) statistically speaking. Maybe they threw it more in the old AFL, I don’t know, but in the 50 years of the NFL, they never have.

2012, so far, has more % of plays as passes than 2011.

And to my point, Pat Willis never left the field before, now he does. Maybe he is older and that’s why, or maybe it is other issues.

But I am noticing A LOT more of these Pro Bowl level LB’s leaving the field, and I didn’t see it as much previously.

Did Singletary leave the field? I don’t know, but I doubt he played only 71% of the snaps like Willis did last week.