Bergstrom says he’s ready to roll if called upon

By Steve Corkran
Monday, November 5th, 2012 at 3:31 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Khalif Barnes started the first two games at right offensive tackle for the Raiders this season. Willie Smith replaced Smith the past six games after Barnes suffered a groin injury. It might be next-man-up time, with Barnes still recovering from groin surgery and Smith struggling with his consistency.
In that case, Raiders coach Dennis Allen said rookie Tony Bergstrom is the next option. Bring it on, Bergstrom said, in essence.
“I feel like I’m ready and I’m just kind of waiting for that opportunity,” Bergstrom said when hit with the news that he was unaware of at the time. “I’m just filling in wherever I can help. Whatever I can do for this team I’m happy to do.”
The Raiders used their first draft pick — a third-rounder — this year on Bergstrom. He progressed well through the offseason workouts and training camp, by all accounts, yet the Raiders were set at the five starting positions.
Therefore, Bergstrom honed his skills at guard, as well as keeping fresh at his natural position, tackle, in case he got called upon in case of injury to a starter in a game. He has not played an offensive snap so far.
Bergstrom said he has been practicing both guard and tackle, right and left, in recent weeks. Yet, he is prepared to play against the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday, if asked to do so.
Bergstrom said he has gleaned quite a bit from watching his teammates play the first eight games of the season. The time has been well spent.
“Oh, yeah, absolutely,” Bergstrom said. “It helps being able to see, especially seeing guys you play with all day and how they handle the competition out there. Being able to do that is better than watching film, being able to see how your own guys play out there. Every game has been a learning experience for me. I’ve tried to use it as such.”
Smith has played well at times, struggled other times. He got called for a holding penalty against the Buccaneers on Sunday on a play that nullified a long touchdown pass from Carson Palmer to wide receiver Derek Hagan. He also got beat for a sack.
“We’re going to look at things,” Allen said. “We talked about that this morning, about looking at Tony Bergstrom as a potential. And we’re not going to close our eyes and act like we don’t see things that are happening. We’re going to try to address whatever needs to be addressed.”

– Cornerback Ron Bartell said he is optimistic about his recovery from a shoulder injury that forced him to miss the past seven games.
The Raiders can activate him at any time, and Bartell is eligible to play Sunday against the Ravens. Bartell said he isn’t sure how it’s going to play out just yet.
“We have until Saturday to make that decision, so I’m going to put another good week of practice in,” Bartell said, “and if all goes well at practice, and they deem me fit and ready to play, then I’ll be ready to play.”
Bartell returned to practice for the first time since his injury five days ago. Practicing is one thing, being in good enough shape to hold up for 65-70 plays in a football game is quite another, he said.
“I made some good progress, but missing seven weeks, just not being in game shape, it’s tough to get back,” Bartell said. “I definitely feel a lot better, a lot more confident. I’ve got antoher week to get prepared, and that’s what I plan on doing. We’ll make that decision on Saturday.”

– Fellow starting cornerback Shawntae Spencer is expected to take his right foot for a test drive, so to speak, Tuesday. He hasn’t practiced or played in a game since he hurt his right foot against the Miami Dolphins more than seven weeks ago.
He said the pain lessens with each passing day. He isn’t sure what to expect when he goes through a workout Tuesday.
“I’m just pretty much a go out and wing it kind of guy,” Spencer said. “So we’ll go out, do whatever they say, and see how it plays out.”
Allen said last week that Spencer’s progress had slowed and not gone as well as expected. Spencer’s take is that he is ahead of scheudle.
Either way, Spencer has done everything he can to stay sharp mentally and from a cardiovascular standpoint.
“It’s tough to watch,” Spencer said. “Just the competitive nature inside of me. It’s part of the game. But you do what you can. You still prepare the same, as far as attending your meetings, breaking your film down, doing whatever you can to help the guys that are playing to stay in tune to help them prepare as well. But other than that, man, mentally that’s how I stay in it. Keep my routine, minus the practices and the games.”

– Free safety Matt Giordano said he suffered a hamstring “strain” against the Buccaneers. The early prognosis is promising for his return for the Ravens game.
“Luckily there was no discoloration, so that’s the biggest step right there,” Giordano said. “Now, it’s kind of, I’ll be living in the training room for the next 72 hours, that’s for sure, getting it right.”
Giordano got hurt while chasing Bucs running back Doug Martin on one of Martin’s three long touchdown runs. Giordano went down near the goal line and immediately grabbed his hamstring.
He went to the locker room for treatment but returned later and asked back in the game. Trainers talked Giordano into sitting out as a precautionary measure.
“I was trying to convince everybody that I was good,” Giordano said. “When you’re feeling the crowd and everything, you want to get back in. You want to be in there with your teammates. The trainers were telling me “be smart,” but I wanted to go in and play and definitely give it a shot to see where I was.”
Giordano faulted himself for missing two tackles two of Martin’s long touchdown runs. Martin
: “You got to just tip your hat to the running back. He made a lot of great runs. There was some (missed) tackling going on. I missed two tackles. We all missed tackles out there. Our technique wasn’t good but, you know what, he beat our technique. So, he ran hard, he played well, hat’s off to him.”

• jesusraiderjim

The Big Banana Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 9:20 pm
    I mentioned before the season that I was concerned with the kiss of Satele and moving Wiz. Concern validated.
    ————————————LOL Thought you were going all Mafia Boss with the kiss of Death shvt!!

• Los Raida Locos

J Hill Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 9:07 pm
    This notion that ANY GM would get rid of good players to bring “his” guys in is ridiculous.

If a guy can play, he will be on the roster.

Can anyone point to ONE player starting and HELPING their team that we cut this past off season?
    ________

We got some guys that can’t play and our on the roster.

• Priesttj12

Just Fire Baby Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 8:56 pm
    Reece was on the team in 2008, Practice Squad.

A Lance finding.
    **************************************
    This is like saying Lance was Al’s favorite coach. Please stop fella it’s getting ugly. Reece was an undrafted Bug Al special the same as Tommie Kelly and Des Bryant. And so many others too numerous to name.

• Chris in NY

I actually didn’t mind the onsides kick. It wasn’t a straight line up heavy to one side, desperation onside kick with 9 mins or whatever. It was a surprise onsides kick. Janikowski executed it perfectly. Guy on TB made an alert play on the ball and a nice catch. Forget the guy’s name, but he made several key plays in that game.

• jesusraiderjim

on another note. How about Routt geting cut. M.Fvcker gets cut , plays 8 games gets cut again and still makes 10 mill. Prolly be broke in 3 yrs anyway. Just sayin!!

• Just Fire Baby

Knapp JUST started using Marcel as a stop gap after RB1 and RB2 went down..

***************************

Just started using him, as in using him as much as previous years?

Take Sunday out of it. He still was averaging more recieiving yards per game than any season in his career.

This isn’t debatable. It is a FACT

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

The fake punt was horribly funny. 4&12 , they dink it 3yds. Too funny, sooooooo Knapp.

• Priesttj12

Los Raida Locos Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 9:25 pm
    J Hill Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 9:07 pm

If a guy can play, he will be on the roster.

________

We got some guys that can’t play and our on the roster
    **************************************************
    Jhill what they do for another team has zero to do with what they would’ve done here. Those other rosters are not ours, to confuse that is like putting your own child in someone else’s home and drawing conclusions based on how they so there. It’s absurd YOUR TEAM is YOUR TEAM we needed those big bodies the other may have better depth different scheme it’s the variables are endless…….period

• Chris in NY

I’m not sure if L. Houston can play DT, but if so, I think Des Bryant-Houston-Shaughnessy is a solid young core to man the d-line in the coming years. And Bilukidi could be a diamond in the rough. What we need is a stud, speed pass rusher opposite Shaughnessy though.

Obviously if there’s a Haloti Ngata type DT out there you jump on him, but assuming that’s not the case, I think it’s a lesser priority that can be beefed up through free agency and later in the draft. And I’m not averse to bringing TK back either. I think he can still play at a high level.

• nycraider

KoolKell Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 9:33 pm
    ———————
    that was strange, it reminded me of last year when Hue had lechler throw a bomb on like 4th and 18 and he didnt realize there was no pass interference as the defender just tackled the gunner so he could catch it

• nycraider

shaughnessy hasnt been impressive. Houston is the only player on the line who has had moments imo

• VanHeathen30

JFB: You’re saying that Reece’s avg of 1.4 runs a game for an avg. of 6.6 yards,
    Or his 2.2 avg receptions for 25 yards are going to validate Knapps Offense is using a pretty small sample size, but hey, you’re the “numbers guy”…
    Hope he BLOWS UP on Sunday, but can’t validate Knappy by his use of Reece, that’s delusional…

• Priesttj12

JFB who knows what Hue would’ve done with Reece looking at his past #’s is like looking at any player developing. To point is Knaapster refuse to utilize the guy until he had NO CHOICE!

What if he had done something similar week one maybe we don’t struggle like we have……it’s a valid argument.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

RaiderDuck Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Seymour Bush Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Rob Gallery wasn’t just the best Oline prospect in that draft, he was widely considered the best FOOTBALL PLAYER in that draft. He was considered to be as much a no miss as Dick Cheney shotgunning his friends cookie hole. Then there was Jake Grove. Remington Award winner for best center in the nation. And both sucked ass. Why can we not develop players?

============================================

Al’s quick hook with coaching staffs had something to do with that. Hard to develop players when new coaches, each with their own style, are constantly parading through.
    =======================================

Good point.

• Try Some Reality

Nycraider Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 9:39 pm

shaughnessy hasnt been impressive

=========================================

Biggest disappointment on Dline thus far, imo, considering all the hype.

• Los Raida Locos

Ravens will probably expect the raiders to be pass happy next Sunday. If DA sh!t cans the ZBS we could catch the ravens off guard with some gap running.

• VanHeathen30

BTW: if you’re validating Knapp’s scheme based on numbers, what has he done to the running game?
    22 TOTAL yards rushing in a Whole Game is HORRENDOUS!
    Dude hasn’t done ANYTHING to warrant my support, but hey, if you’re good with him, good for you…

• Chris in NY

Shaughnessy’s been a disappointment. I don’t ever see him as a consistent double-digit sacks guy, but I think he can hold the edge and occasionally bring pressure. I think he, and the rest of our d-line would greatly benefit by having one guy out there who could quickly get to the QB and force him to step up. Shaughnessy, Houston, Seymour and TK are all guys that more often than not overpower their blocker and get a solid push up the middle, but they don’t get around their man so they can’t get to the QB quick enough to bring him down. They need someone like Wimbley who forces the QB to step up in the pocket befor he gets comfortable.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Breaking News: Romney Down 39 Points in Latino Vote according to Pew Institute.

No Presidential candidate can be down THAT MUCH in the Latino vote and expect to win. McCain was projected down 38 points in 2008 and he got badly thumped. And if that is not enough, Latino Focus has Rob-me down 50 Points in the Latino vote.

4 more year, 4 more years, 4 more years…

• nycraider

we need so many playmakers on each side of the ball its scary

• Los Raida Locos

knapps got a real mess on his hands. So does Tarver. DA really needs to put his thinking cap on and find a way to correct this mess.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Chris in NY Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Shaughnessy’s been a disappointment.
    =======================================

He really has been. This was supposed to be the breakout year for Matt and while his run defense has been good has pass rush has been lacking. I watched the Raiders shift him to the right side, and he did the exact same rush every time. That ain’t gonna get it done. And if that ain’t enough, this was supposed to be a breakout year for Tyvon as well. While he has been good, Palomalu he isn’t.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

KoolKell Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 9:33 pm

================================

That wasn’t Knapp. That was Hoffman. Jeeez.

• Priesttj12

I remember when we picked up Reece the scouts couldn’t wait to see what kind of player he would eventually be they were extremely excited he signed with us.

Two years ago we had the same excitement over David Ausberry The connection for both players was Steve Sarkisian who coached here and knew both players well and Al Davis always used his sources that way.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Just too many 3&outs in the first half, with Knapp’s horribly conservative playcalling.

• nycraider

Los Raida Locos Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 9:46 pm
    ——————
    our only option on O is to keep letting cp3 throw the ball. we need more no huddles. on the d side we need rolando to be benched. its time for him to sit and watch. he is just bad karma

• lefty12

I have to laugh when guys come here and say stuff like-if I see any more ZBS,I’ll go nuts.or we need to dump the ZBS and go power gap.I’d venture to say most could see both and wouldn’t know the difference.The system isn’t the problem.Our right side of the Oline stinks-period.What we need is a better RG and RT.

• nycraider

Seymour Bush Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 9:47 pm
    Chris in NY Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Shaughnessy’s been a disappointment.
    =======================================

——————-
    branch is 9 mil to our cap next year..ouch

• nycraider

man , i never thought id ever type i miss barnes..thanks willie smith

• VanHeathen30

Ingest problem with the ZBS, is you van’t fully practice it due to the danger of the cut block.
    So 2-3 years of game only development are needed to get the line to gel.

• Priesttj12

lefty12 Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 9:51 pm
    **************************************************
    Well yes and no Lefty12 most wouldn’t but it is an issue. All you have to do is watch when we do power block DMC’s reads are so much more fluid but beyond that you’re probably spot on. If you go to the KC game and watch him explode he’s running downhill aggressively. DMC easily feels more comfortable in a power/gap system it’s just fact.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

lefty12 Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 9:51 pm

=======================================

I’d also like to see a back that doesn’t go down on first contact.

• VanHeathen30

<<<>>

• nycraider

whats sad is dmac is hurt and it doesnt even matter

• Priesttj12

Watch the 4th qrtr of the KC game he makes two approx. 20 yard runs and BOTH are power blocking. When the ran the zone sweep he lost yards.

• VanHeathen30

Geez… Now that I know that Knapp is using Reece more than previous years, I can forget all about the Horrific run game we’ve seen most of the season and now ranks in the bottom 3 or 4 teams…man, what a relief.

• Priesttj12

VanHeathen30 Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 9:56 pm
    So 2-3 years of game only development are needed to get the line to gel.
    *************************************
    This is very true, but it really doesn’t take that long in most cases it takes a season before it’s fluid and everyone is working well coordination.

• VanHeathen30

Watching our Running Backs get zero or lose yards play after play is freakin’ disturbing.
    3 yards and a cloud of dust would be a major improvement over this ISH…

• aig-raiders

Doug Martin is the real deal. The kid is like a bowling ball. I have never seen a back that small break tackles of LB and DL guys. He doesnt have Barry Sanders’ agility but a whole lot stronger though. I watched him early on and thought Tampa was stupid for not running him more. The guy just hides behind the Oline and scoot through for 5 yds at a time.

On Berg, yes let’s see what he can do. Can’t be any worse than Smith. Smith makes me miss Barnes and I hate Barnes.

• lefty12

What everyone says about McFadden liking one system over the other is no doubt true,Goodson loves the ZBS and after McFadden went out yesterday his stats running the ball were very McFadden like.The line isn’t doing a good job.If the holes were there both would be racking up yards,no matter what the scheme.

• VanHeathen30

Why Knapp hasn’t incorporated more mis directions or reverses is questionable. Dropping the reverse based on ONE badly executed play in the opener isn’t enough of a reason.
    If we dumped EVERY running play that didn’t work, we’d have no running plays left.
    Which is pretty much what we have right now anyway…

• Raider8

Of all the nights not to talk politics?

• Raider8

I vote Slomo off the team.

• VanHeathen30

Even a Krappy O Line should be able to get more than 22 yards rushing in a game…
    To a man, this unit has to step it up!
    Think Reggie is waiting for SloMo McClain to go to jail so he can Void his contract.
    At this point, he should hire a detective to help the prosecution…

• DJ Johnny

Was it just me noticing this but was Slomo on the field even MORE on Sunday than against KC?

I do know he was on the field during those runs by Martin.

Watch the tape. Focus on Slomo.

Imo he’s the worst MLB in the league.

• 2romes

Is that the best the Raiders are going to get out of Veldheer. The Raiders sure Know how to waste good prospects. When the Raiders get young players on the def. or off. line with decent talent you can expect stunted growth syndrome to take place during the second year. They Just never seem to get better.

• papertiger418

What’s crazy is that in Mexico the sale of alcohol is prohibited on election day. But what if your candidate doesn’t win? What are you supposed to do then, NOT DRINK!?