Chiefs waive Routt; might Raiders be interested

By Steve Corkran
Monday, November 5th, 2012 at 11:50 am in Oakland Raiders.

The Kansas City Chiefs waived veteran cornerback Stanford Routt on Monday, eight games into a long-term contract Routt signed shortly after he was waived by the Raiders.
That begs the question, might the Raiders be interested in re-signing Routt?
Perhaps. We’ll ask coach Dennis Allen that question today during Allen’s weekly news conference. It’s unlikely the Raiders will put in a waiver claim on Routt, given they would be on the hook for a $10 million option bonus in 2013.
If a team claims a waived player, they inherit the player’s contract as it is structured. The way around the option bonus is to renegotiate the contract or accept it as is and deal with it when the time comes.
Given the Raiders get back cornerback Ron Bartell for this Sunday’s game against the Baltimore Ravens and cornerback Shawntae Spencer is making progress in his recovery from a right foot injury, it’s less likely that the Raiders will bite on a player they waived during the offseason.
Still, don’t rule it out with the way the Raiders pass defense performed against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Routt was Oakland’s No. 1 cornerback last season, and he certainly is better than some of the cornerbacks currently on the 53-man roster.

• Just Fire Baby

Ummm, then why did you say it????

***************************

Because he asked.

That’s what people do when someone asks a question, provide some sort of an answer.

• RaiderDebo

L.A. Raider Dave Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 1:28 pm
    CARSON IS NOT THE PROBLEM!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Who cares??? The issue is that Palmer isn’t the solution!!! For a 1st and 2nd rounder, he was supposed to be.

• Plunketthead

So Wrong Routt and Not Sterling are both practice squad squids. DVWho? Same with Campbell and Murphy, you can even throw Bush in there.
    Many thought these were our better players and they can barely keep a job.

I am afraid almost our entire roster is like that.

• mcfadden20.

The whole secondary s8cks,Not sure what Bartell and Spencer got to give but I’m definitely marking my calender for their return

• fingers

247….. Lol….yep, I read Routts tweets….

• SLAYER

49ERS. NUFF SAID. 666

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

Yeah Dakota our D was built around “check cashers” for many years now I blame Warren Sapp for starting that mentality here.

• Carl Weathers

If I remember correctly, Al was talked into Huff by Art Shell. Davis’s first choice was…Matt Leinart.

So basically we were screwed either way in 2006.

@@@@@@@@@

I thought Davis wanted Vernon Davis so took Huff as Shell’s pick once Davis was taken right before our selection. Either way, we ended up with a sub par safety. I was hoping for Whitner for one.

• SilverNBlackPA

++++++++++

Palmer is supposed to fix an abysmal running game and a defense that would’ve had a hard time stopping a Division III runner yesterday?

• mcfadden20.

RaiderDebo Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 1:33 pm

L.A. Raider Dave Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 1:28 pm
    CARSON IS NOT THE PROBLEM!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

——

Palmer is not the solution? the guy was the reason we didn’t get blown out yesterday and he’s not the solution? How did that # 1 pick turned out in 06?

• SilverNBlackPA

Plunketthead Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 1:33 pm
    Many thought these were our better players and they can barely keep a job.

++++++++++++

Remembered laughing my azz off at everyone wailing as each of those guys was sent packing by Reggie (except Sterling)…Raiders fans overestimate their garbage.

• fingers

I really thought Branch was gonna be better…. He’s not even close…

• SilverNBlackPA

fingers Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 1:36 pm
    I really thought Branch was gonna be better…. He’s not even close…

++++++++++

So did I. “Disgusting” is the nicest word I can think of for his play.

• The Big Banana

Reggie should have made Branch play out the tender.

• SilverNBlackPA

The Big Banana Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 1:37 pm
    Reggie should have made Branch play out the tender.

++++++++

I agree. Rookie mistake on Big Reg’s part.

• SLAYER

49ERS 49ERS 49ERS 666 666 666

• Just Fire Baby

Branch’s Abby Wombach impersonation cost us the game just as much as Carson’s picks did.

• DutchRaider77

235.Just Fire Baby Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 1:26 pm
    7. this is one of the single worst trades in pro sports history

***********************

Uh no, not even close.

Hell the Golden State Warriors traded a 1st round pick for Marcus Williams, who scored like 50 points in 20 games before we released him.

I would argue that if Curry gets IR’s for this season, giving up a 5th round pick for 10 crappy games of OLB was a worse trade.

_____________________________________________________

Or the Kyle Boller trade (Mistic’s Boy) “Boller was selected by the Ravens with the 19th overall pick in the first round of the 2003 NFL Draft, via a trade with the New England Patriots(for 2003 #2 & 2004 #1).”

Cannot imagine even Mistic taking Kyle Boller over Carson Palmer and yet…

I call him Mistic’s Boy, because when everbody was complaining about Boller as the backup and getting rid of Grad, Mistic said Boller would be fine if Campbell went down. That was when he was in “lock step” with Hue.

• SilverNBlackPA

Just Fire Baby Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 1:38 pm
    Branch’s Abby Wombach impersonation

++++++

LOL good one

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

“Plunketthead Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 1:33 pm
    Many thought these were our better players and they can barely keep a job.

I am afraid almost our entire roster is like that.”

This is a really good post we are thin everywhere!

• boss01

Marcel Reece should be the starting rb the rest of the year if TJ is the only other option. No surprise once he started playing every down, the offense got going.

• Dakota

Do we miss Wimbley and his 11 solo tackles and 3.5 sacks?

I do miss the pressure he put on the QB….I thought we would get that from guys like Houston, and Matt S. So that might be the one FA I miss a little bit.

He couldn’t cover his own azz….but he did rush the passer.

• Just Fire Baby

Reggie should have made Branch play out the tender.

*************************

No salary cap room.

If he did play at the franchise tender, we would have had to waive probably a few guys or continue to kick the can down the road and have TK make $27 million dollars next year with 8 million guaranteed or something stupid like that.

• Carl Weathers

fingers Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 1:36 pm
    I really thought Branch was gonna be better…. He’s not even close…

@@@@@@@@

Branch should be on the field with one mission: Kill the RB. If he stays to block make sure he doesn’t leak out to catch a dump off. Shadow him on passing plays. Stay the fvck out of coverage.

• RaiderDebo

SilverNBlackPA Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 1:34 pm

++++++++++

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Fair enough. But if he can’t fix those problems, why the hell did we ever trade for him??? We could have put Ceasar from Planet of the Apes under center to miss the playoffs last year and go 3-5 this year. Meanwhile, we would have had our 1st and 2nd rounders to help “fix the problems”.

• SLAYER

ARE ANY OF YOU SURPISED MCFAGGIN IS DONE AFTER 8 GAMES?…I PREDICTED 4. 666

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Just Fire Baby Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 1:38 pm

———————
    I had to laugh when that ball hit the mfkr right in the back of the head. Too funny in a strange sort of Raider way.

• SilverNBlackPA

Dakota Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 1:39 pm
    Do we miss Wimbley and his 11 solo tackles and 3.5 sacks?

He couldn’t cover his own azz….but he did rush the passer.

++++++++

I had thought the plan was going to be to move Wimbley to RDE and put Shaughnessy at LDE and move Houston to the DT rotation.

I think the Raiders keep Wimbley if he restructures. Remember, McKenzie didn’t cut him until the last possible day. Don’t blame Wimbley for not wanting to restructure, but it’s not like Reggie didn’t want to trya nd keep him around.

• SilverNBlackPA

+++++++

Two words: Kyle Boller

• mcfadden20.

Raiderdebo:

Mcfadden20:—-
    Hey what’s up Mistic , how’s Jamarcus and J Campbell doing ?
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I’m honored that you think I’m Mistic. He obviously knows more about football than 90% of the posters on here combined. I think I do too. And I’m sure JaMarcus is doing quite well.

Can anybody honestly say that this guy is not Mistic judging by his post

• Just Fire Baby

****************************

KoolKell told us that he can “make all the throws” as well.

When I pointed out that Boller was something stupid like 1-10 in his last 11 starts with 8 TD’s to 20 turnovers (seriously it was something close to that) I was labeled a Bruce lover and dismissed.

• Charlie

I think many of you are starting to agree with me that the check cashing mentality killed this team for the last ten years.

I assure you that if any of us showed up for work and performed like our Dline did yesterday we would be fired for GROSS NEGLIGENCE OR JOB ABANDONMENT.

I am not asking for wins. Just a professional effort.

The DLINE SHOULD GIVE BACK THEIR PAYCHECKS.
    This is an embarrasment of epic proportions.

• mcfadden20.

RaiderDebo Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 1:40 pm

SilverNBlackPA Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 1:34 pm

++++++++++

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

—-
    Those 1st and 2nd rounders surely helped us in last 10 years

• SilverNBlackPA

Just Fire Baby Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 1:42 pm

****************************

KoolKell told us that he can “make all the throws” as well.

++++++++++

Give KK his due there, Boller could make every NFL throw.

Now whether it would go to his receiver or the opposing DB was about a 50/50 proposition.

Boller’s another in a long line of million dollar arm, 10 cent head guys.

• SLAYER

49ERS HAVE ALREADY MAILED OUT POST SEASON INVOICES. 666

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

My wife could’nt understand why the Raiders throw the ball side to side behind the line of scrimmage, and in front of the sticks so much, instead of throwing the ball forward………….she doesn’t get it. I tried……

• The Big Banana

Just Fire Baby Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 1:39 pm
    Reggie should have made Branch play out the tender.

*************************

No salary cap room.

——

Sure about this, JFB? As I remember it, we had the room and were under the cap, just barely. His contract freed up some additional room, which we never used. I could be wrong but that’s the way I remember it, because I argued that we didn’t need the room at that stage in the offseason since there was nobody to pick up. I was right in that we did nothing with the additional space.

• Just Fire Baby

******************************

And he didn’t hit the WR or anything.

He basically ran over lost, let a flutter of a pass hit him in the back of the head, and was in no position to do anything to the WR if it was a decent pass.

Our safeties play deep balls about as well as Jose Canseco in his Rangers/Red Sox years.

• Dakota

I was at the Broncos-Raiders game that we won 59-14…..Boller got into that game, and I can tell you, that dude made Campbell look like Dan Marino.

Boller was complete garbage…..in fact, my old friend, Bruce Garbagekowski should have remained as the backup. But Hue knew what a sensitive soul Campbell was, and knew that if Campbell had to look over his shoulder, even at the Garbage man, it would throw him off his (ever so limited) game.

• SilverNBlackPA

+++++++++++++

One of the many reasons Jason Campbell was never the answer as a starter and is a backup now.

• The Big Banana

Lol, Dakota. #289

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

“We have a huge game at home and we give up 251 rushing to one guy and let Freeman go untouched.
    The DLINE SHOULD GIVE BACK THEIR PAYCHECKS.
    This is an embarrasment of epic proportions.

Yeah I agree with this 100%

Warren Sapp was the king check casher!

• Just Fire Baby

Banana,

Branch saved us something like 4-5 million in cap space I thought, and we were reported as $2.3 million under the cap before the TK renogiating. Where’s BCZ!!!!

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Another check casher bites the dust.

I had Routt, Wimbley, TK and Seymour stealing money with Huff getting honorable mention.

What’s a check casher? A player who’s pay grossly exceeds their production. A leader paid to be “elite” but is avg on his best days and utter filth on worst days

What’s wimbley doing in tennessee?

Only a couple more to go and this team will get right!

• SilverNBlackPA

SnB,

TK and Seymour are as good as gone this off-season. Huff might stick around with a massive paycut but I bet he’s gone too. Reggie’s gonna need this offseason to finish fumigating the joint.

• mcfadden20.

Seriously the whole secondary should be let go next season

• The Beeech Dawg

KoolKell Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 1:44 pm

—————————

KrappyRat you should Twitter this one out to all of your followers

Folks are just dying to know about your wife’s thoughts on football strategy

• RaiderDebo

Dakota Says:
    November 5th, 2012 at 1:45 pm

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Goofy theory. Bruise sucked, so we let him leave. End of story.

• Raider E

Had no business winning yesterday after half with that utterly pathetic performance on Run D.

The captain and best football player on this team kept his team and almost pulled off a very rare 4th quarter comeback while down by 18.

Just didn’t have quite enough although mildly impressive.

On a side note, Piss-stick1. Go f*ck Yourself.

• Just Fire Baby

Now that the playoffs are pretty much out of the mix, I would anticipate Seymour playing about 2 more games before packing it in for the season.

Horrendous contract, not quite horrendous trade, but not a good one either.