Jones prepares for increased workload; Curry plans to bring passion

With Nos. 1 and 2 running backs Darren McFadden and Mike Goodson in question, second-year running back Taiwan Jones is preparing for an opportunity that he has waited for the past 1 1/2 seasons.
To be clear, Raiders coach Dennis Allen isn’t ruling out McFadden or Goodson for Sunday’s game against the Baltimore Ravens. But, for now, all eyes are on Jones as he steps to the forefront in his teammates’ absence.
“I’m definitely excited,” Jones said. “There’s definitely an opportunity for me to extend my role on the team. I’m getting the opportunity, so I want to make the most of it.”
Jones has been limited to one carry this season in the first eight games. He rushed 16 times for 73 yards last season as a rookie.
With the departure of Michael Bush in free agency, Jones was given a shot at the No. 2 spot in an open competition against Goodson. Jones’ chances took a blow when he suffered a hamstring injury early in training camp.
Now, McFadden and Goodson are fresh from high-ankle sprains that they suffered against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sunday. All tests run on them returned negative.
Yet, they weren’t able to practice today. That left Jones and fullback Marcel Reece as the lone options at running back until further notice.
Jones isn’t the only one excited about the prospect of getting meaningful playing time. Quarterback Carson Palmer said he has waited for more than a year to see what Jones can do in a game.
Jones has spent most of his time this season on special teams, with the occasional touch on offense.
“I feel like I’ve been waiting forever,” Palmer said. “I can’t wait. He does amazing things in practice and he’s by far the fastest person on the field and he will be the fastest person on the field on Sunday. And not that you want to see guys get banged up, but I’m excited about the opportunity he’s getting.
“I feel like since I’ve been here, I’ve waited for him to get his opportunity, and it hasn’t worked out. And here it is. He’ll get his touches, and I can’t wait. He’s so electrifying. He puts his foot in the ground and goes. He wiggles out of hits, he wiggles out of tackles. Can’t wait to throw him the ball, get him in the open field. He’s so much fun to watch at practice it’s a long time coming.”
Jones said he is prepared for whatever kind of workload comes his way. Allen said he isn’t sure what to expect from Jones, if only because he hasn’t had ample opportunity to see what Jones can do in a game.
“He’s been a little up and down,” Allen said. “A little injury-prone, or injury-plagued, and so it’s been kind of tough to evaluate because he’s missed some time. But we got confidence in Taiwan, and if he’s called on to step in and play, then we fully anticipate him stepping in and perform and do his job.”
As for Jones’ ability to be an every-down back?
“That remains to be seen,” Allen said. “If he’s called on to do that, then that’s when we’ll know.”

– Defensive tackle Richard Seymour suffered a hamstring injury against the Buccaneers. It turned out to be worse than originally thought, Allen said.
As a result, Seymour missed practice today, and he is questionable for the Ravens game. Allen said he likely won’t get a better feel for whether Seymour can play through hamstring and knee issues until later in the week.
Fortunately for the Raiders, backup defensive tackle Desmond Bryant returned to practice today, so he is available to fill the void if Seymour can’t play.
Bryant was hospitalized Sunday after complaining of a fast, irregular heartbeat. He was released Monday, cleared a battery of tests Tuesday and back on the field today.
“I first noticed something was up at halftime,” Bryant said. “The first series on defense in the second half was the last time I played.”
A short time later, he was on his way to Eden Medical Center for observation and treatment.
Bryant said he wasn’t in any pain, just aware that his heart was working harder than normal to keep blood flowing to his body.
“I wouldn’t say it was scary,” Bryant said. “It surprised me, for sure. I expected to be out for maybe a series or maybe a couple of plays. The next thing I know, I’m being carted off to the hospital. It was upsetting for that to happen but, at the same time, it wasn’t scary.”
Dehydration is the suspected culprit, Bryant said. Makes perfect sense, given how warm it was Sunday.
“Obviously, they’re going to try to monitor it as much as they can,” Bryant said. “Apparently it’s not an uncommon thing to happen to athletes. Since it’s happened to me, I’ve had a number of different people say, ‘I’ve known this or that person who’s had the exact same thing happen to them.’ It’s more comforting to know that.
“At the same time, you don’t want your heart to be doing all that. I’ll try to do whatever I can, and I know the guys in the training room will do the same thing. I should be good to go.”

– Linebacker Aaron Curry practiced today as a member of Oakland’s 53-man roster for the first time. He was activated Tuesday after spending part of the offseason, all of training camp and the first nine weeks of the season rehabilitating his knees.
Curry said his knees got so bad that he had difficulty even walking up and down stairs. They reached that point because he spent too much time working out and playing football and not enough time taking taking care of his body, he said.
Now, Curry is thankful for the chance to return to the field and contribute in any way possible. He said he is game for playing special teams and at any of the three linebacker spots.
“I just want to be a bottle of energy and passion,” Curry said. “That’s what football is about. Playing defense is about energy, and it’s about bringing passion to the game, it’s about bringing passion to the team, it’s about being able to be relied on, be reliable to your teammates that you’ll always have something full of energy, whether it’s words, whether it’s plays, whether it’s encouragement. I just want to be a positive person.”
Allen said Curry’s presence gives defensive coordinator Jason Tarver the flexibility to rest outside linebackers Philip Wheeler and Miles Burris from time to time, a luxury Tarver hasn’t had in recent games.
Wheeler and Burris have been playing every defensive snap since middle linebacker Rolando McClain was taken out of the nickel package.
“As many good players as you can have, as many experienced players as you can have, the better off you’re going to be,” Allen said.
Curry searched far and wide for a way to cure his aching knees. He said he finally found the answer when he hooked up with Dr. Jack Johnson in Danville, and Johnson performed neuromuscular re-education.
The down time allowed Curry to rehab his knees as well as learn the game more in depth.
“I’ve had nothing else to do but study football, which has been good,” Curry said. “Which I think was the purpose of all this, was for me to learn football more in depth, to give myself an advantage, that when it’s time to go, I’ll be a step ahead of everybody.”

– Goodson was spotted with a walking boot on his right foot. It’s a long way from a walking boot Wednesday to playing in a game Sunday. However, Allen isn’t giving up hope just yet.
Goodson was unavailable for comment. Same goes for McFadden, who wasn’t seen during practice or the media-access window.
An MRI performed on Goodson’s ankle Monday returned negative, Allen said. Rookie Jeremy Stewart also is an option at running back, Allen said, if McFadden and Goodson can’t go.
“We’ve got some guys in-house that we feel like could step in if need be,” Allen said. “That’s the way it is anywhere in the NFL. It’s really a next-man-up philosophy, and we’re going to have to count on some guys to step up potentially and fill a bigger role. We’ll know more at the end of the week exactly what we’ve got to do.”

– Cornerback Ron Bartell is eligible to be activated Saturday and play Sunday against the Ravens. He has missed the past seven games while recovering from a shoulder injury.
“I feel real good about where Ron Bartell is,” Allen said.
Bartell practiced at his right cornerback spot today, and he said he is preparing as if he is going to play Sunday.
As for fellow starting cornerback Shawntae Spencer, Allen said: “He’s still not ready yet. But we’re making progress. Hopefully the progress will speed up in the next few days.”
Spencer moved around “better” Tuesday during an off-day workout designed to gauge his recovery from a foot injury he suffered Sept. 16. He has not practiced on played in a game since his injury.

– Right offensive tackle Khalif Barnes practiced today for the first time in more than seven weeks. It remains to be seen whether he can get up to speed in time for Sunday’s game.
“Rusty, but improved,” Allen said in describing how Barnes looked at practice. “Improved. I’m optimistic. I’ll know more at the end of the week whether he’ll have a chance at this game or not.”
If Barnes can’t go, Allen’s options are: sticking with Willie Smith or giving rookie Tony Bergstrom his first shot at playing on offense in a regular-season game.

Steve Corkran

• theghostronin79

447.Raider O Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 8:31 am

=========

YUP….Coulda scored more too if we didn’t have all the drops and holding calls taking points off the board and killing drives. STILL coulda won with that horrible D display. Not gonna blame Carson for that one.

• hwnrdr

bcz24 Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 8:33 am

It was…I was cracking up the other day!

• theghostronin79

Offseason needs:
    1- DE
    2- CB
    3- OL
    4- NT

=======

Also gonna need a good RB. If we’re gonna continue with this ZONE, I’d love to get Barner from Oregon but, he’ll be gone before we fill our defensive needs.

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

“bcz24 Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 8:33 am
    Looks like Paul G is sick of reading Mistics anti-palmer drivel too… he started the #PalmersFault hashtag on twitter. Its kinda funny to read them all.”

Link please

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

“Looks like Paul G is sick of reading Mistics anti-palmer drivel too…”

Its been 2 seasons for me I had to deal with all the JC worshipers in here last year and Mistic1 was the pack leader.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Hwnrdr,

Not much bro. Trying to stay busy.
    I don’t like to bother you, but my Faker hate is too strong and can’t be controlled.

• R8ER MIKE

good day Mr V.P. !!
    had tickets to the game this week and had to give them back. have to go to a funeral in Ohio.

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

I had to build a Palmer shrine last year complete with clippings from the blog with pins and needles stuck in them….ok I made that up but you get the point I am a Palmer worshiper here everyone knows it.

• hwnrdr

Raider O Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 8:37 am
    Hwnrdr,

Not much bro. Trying to stay busy.

No worries…
    And you know that… :)

• bcz24

I can’t link it 666, cant get on Twitter at work.

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

Hey O whats up

I should not have said anything about Iran or Israel yesterday I am ignorant to the ME but was trying to be a sarcastic smart ass about it when I pizzed off raiderman99

Anyways no more ME talk for me.

• Dakota

Raiderman99 seems like a smart guy.

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

“I can’t link it 666, cant get on Twitter at work.”

Thanks I am not a twitter member so I cant navigate my way around that site.

maybe one of these guys can link it for me?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Palmer is one of the FEW bright spots on this team.

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

“Raiderman99 seems like a smart guy.”

Yeah he is he has a pretty good grip on whats going on in that part of the world no more Ahmadinejad jokes for me here on the blog.

• theghostronin79

464.Raider O Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 8:48 am
    Palmer is one of the FEW bright spots on this team.

===========

I hope he stays for awhile. All this talk about drafting a QB with our 1st pick is rediculous to me.

• bcz24
  • inonewordraider

Two HUGE If’s:

Blessing in disguise?

Also two critical changes, Smith being replaced and Bartell back

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

666,

I thought you made a good point about us not being so involved, but I think 99 thought you were serious about allowing Iran to nuke Israel.
    No worries bro, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Theghostronin79 Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 8:50 am
    464.Raider O Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 8:48 am
    Palmer is one of the FEW bright spots on this team.

===========

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I agree. I also like to know what TP is capable of in a real game.

• bcz24

Ravens haven’t lost at home since December 2010… no doubt this will be a tough out and a HUGE win if we pull it off.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

Raider O Says: Btw, we can’t blame last week on Knapp. We scored 30+ points and we were in it late in the 4th, but you can’t win when you allow 250+ rushing yards.===========================

Actually, we could have. Speaks volumes about Palmer’s heart and ability, and alas, occasional brain fade. He did have someone in his face but you gotta take the sack at times.

• theghostronin79

470.Raider O Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 8:55 am
    Theghostronin79 Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 8:50 am
    464.Raider O Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 8:48 am
    Palmer is one of the FEW bright spots on this team.

===========

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I agree. I also like to know what TP is capable of in a real game.

=============

Same here, Could be a whole different story running with the 1′s rather than the 3′s

• Dakota

Palmer has two, maybe three more decent years left. I think he will fade earlier than some because he doesn’t seem to have the accuracy it takes to succeed as an older QB in the NFL. Once that arm strength is gone it will get ugly.

So do we need a QB plan now? I don’t think so. I think Reggie can use the 2013 draft to fill some of the holes on defense, and on the o-line or WR….those needs are more pressing at this time.

DHB has clearly regressed, and Ford is unreliable, so we have to get Palmer some help at the WR spot, wither through the draft or in FA.

TE….Myers does a decent job, but he is no danger to make a play after the catch and he isn’t much of a threat in the red zone. But I think you fix WR first.

We need to use what is left of the year to find out if Bergstrom is a guy that can replace the bums at RT. Otherwise RT is a must fix position this offseason.

On Defense….we just need to start over with as much as we can. Doesn’t really matter who you replace first. I guess I would rather see us get a DE and some decent CBs and Safeties….but that is difficult to do in one offseason….plus we need to replace Curry and Slowlando….it pains me to say this, but I think you have to roll with Seymour and Kelly for another season….too much to fix, not enough assets to do it in one offseason.

Back to QB, so I think we should/can hold out to the 2014 draft to pick our future QB. In the meantime, i am sure at some point this year, or through next year, Pryor will get a chance through injuries to get some time on the field so that we can see what we have in him. My hope is that he lights it up for 1 game and then Reggie can get some foolish GM to trade a couple of decent picks for him. I am pretty sure that Reggie and DA have seen enough of the kid to know he has little chance of success…..hence his continued azz glued to the bench status this year.

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

Thanks for the link that is some funny shlt

One of my favorites:

“”I got pulled over for speeding. Told the cop it was #PalmersFault” -”

• theghostronin79

How long did Hasselbeck sit behind Farve? I don’t remember. If TP is worth what we HOPE and THINK he is, and the Org agrees, he’s best right where he is. Palmer would be a fantastic Preceptor to young Terrell.

• Tezooo

I hope the Raiders can pull off a WIN here! Gonna be a tough game for sure. What do you guy’s think about the Bears vs Texans game? I have a bet on that game, I think the Bears offense doesn’t match Texans offensive.
    Go Raiders!!!

• DMAC

Morning/afternoon peoples!
    What up Green Party?!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

99 is a smart guy. We don’t agree on some things (lol), but I respect him and his opinions.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

inonewordraider Says: IF Taiwan can hold on to the ball and IF he can stay healthy having him and Reece in the backfield can be very potent. ==================================================

Didn’t agree with many who thought he was too light at 195-200 lb.s not to get hurt as RB, but somebody pointed out last night that he might be a liability in pass protection. Hadn’t thought about that.

• theghostronin79

===============

Streater is still really raw, but has a huge upside and potential high ceiling,

Criner hasn’t gotten much of a sniff this year, but hopefully that 2pt conversion will give him AND the staff confidence enough to get him on the field more. Still think Criner has #1 receiver potential. He’s gotta get his shots and take advantage.

• Dakota

Dick Morris says the Texans will win in a landslide….so I would go with Da Bears.

• theghostronin79

What’s up DMAC……I mean “F” you guys….
    lol, Jk man.

• Dakota

481.theghostronin79 Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 9:09 am

===============

Streater is still really raw, but has a huge upside and potential high ceiling,

+++++++++++++

we can’t continue to keep throwing out young scrubs and hoping one of them becomes a true #1 WR. We need to either go get a proven #1, or use a high pick to secure that #1 WR…..too bad we also need to use high picks on DEs, LBers, S, CB, and RT……might have to go get a veteran #1 WR.

• DMAC

=========

And then…..
    D!ck Seymour and company let Martin skate all over us!!!

• DMAC

Can’t wait for that last place Faker beat down on Friday!
    Go Dubs!

• theghostronin79

=============

That’s the only thing there, we’ll prolly have to use our top end picks on Defense. As far as proven vets, you never know who’s gonna be out there by seasons end, and who’s gonna be washed up? Maybe wunna these young guys will show us something before the season is over.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Regressed or not getting as many passes as last year?
    He is averaging 2+ catches / game this year, and he averaged 4+ last year.

• DMAC

No more WR’s drafted!
    Most take 2 long to develop.
    Rather go w/ a proven #1 in FA, than taking my chances in the draft.
    We need to draft Defense!!!

• bcz24

might have to go get a veteran #1 WR.
    *************
    Dwayne Bowe is a FA after the season, I doubt if he is retained, would be great match up with Palmer.

• hwnrdr

DMAC Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 9:14 am
    Can’t wait for that last place Faker beat down on Friday!
    Go Dubs!

The way they are playing, maybe…but keep calling them Fakers…lol

• DMAC

How has DHB regressed?
    Haven’t you seen him make those tough catches down field?
    He’s making catches w/ PI’s being called.
    Kid couldn’t even turn his head around to see where the ball was, a few years ago.
    DHB has improved.
    2 bad he isn’t targeted more often.

• DMAC

bcz24 Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 9:19 am

might have to go get a veteran #1 WR.
    *************
    ======

What do u think it would take??
    2nd or 3rd rounder?

• Dakota

490.Raider O Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 9:17 am
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Regressed or not getting as many passes as last year?
    He is averaging 2+ catches / game this year, and he averaged 4+ last year.

+++++++++++

If the guy could get open, he would be getting the ball. I think what, 4 years now, is probably enough time to show that the guy is not a #1 WR. I would keep him on the roster with a major pay cut, but we can’t keep throwing him out there hoping he can be a #1 WR. Is ceiling is right about average…..we need a playmaker.

• jesusraiderjim

Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 9:09 am

—————————————————–
    Iam pullin for Made in “Taiwan” as much as the next guy but did anyone else see him just get waylaid the 2nd time he touched the ball. I mean he got freakin DE-CLEATED.
    We can win this game, just like we coulda beat Atl. T.B. but it could get ugly fast. No different than the last 25yrs I Guess.
    I Love My Raiders!!

• Tezooo

Your right Raider O…hahaha thanks man :)

• inonewordraider

the reason cam newton and mike vick are struggling #Palmersfault

couldn’t resist

• DMAC

hwnrdr Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 9:19 am

DMAC Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 9:14 am
    Can’t wait for that last place Faker beat down on Friday!
    Go Dubs!

The way they are playing, maybe…but keep calling them Fakers…lol
    ========

How about Takers?
    Since they’re taking beat downs every night!
    lol