Jones prepares for increased workload; Curry plans to bring passion

By Steve Corkran
Wednesday, November 7th, 2012 at 3:43 pm in Oakland Raiders.

With Nos. 1 and 2 running backs Darren McFadden and Mike Goodson in question, second-year running back Taiwan Jones is preparing for an opportunity that he has waited for the past 1 1/2 seasons.
To be clear, Raiders coach Dennis Allen isn’t ruling out McFadden or Goodson for Sunday’s game against the Baltimore Ravens. But, for now, all eyes are on Jones as he steps to the forefront in his teammates’ absence.
“I’m definitely excited,” Jones said. “There’s definitely an opportunity for me to extend my role on the team. I’m getting the opportunity, so I want to make the most of it.”
Jones has been limited to one carry this season in the first eight games. He rushed 16 times for 73 yards last season as a rookie.
With the departure of Michael Bush in free agency, Jones was given a shot at the No. 2 spot in an open competition against Goodson. Jones’ chances took a blow when he suffered a hamstring injury early in training camp.
Now, McFadden and Goodson are fresh from high-ankle sprains that they suffered against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sunday. All tests run on them returned negative.
Yet, they weren’t able to practice today. That left Jones and fullback Marcel Reece as the lone options at running back until further notice.
Jones isn’t the only one excited about the prospect of getting meaningful playing time. Quarterback Carson Palmer said he has waited for more than a year to see what Jones can do in a game.
Jones has spent most of his time this season on special teams, with the occasional touch on offense.
“I feel like I’ve been waiting forever,” Palmer said. “I can’t wait. He does amazing things in practice and he’s by far the fastest person on the field and he will be the fastest person on the field on Sunday. And not that you want to see guys get banged up, but I’m excited about the opportunity he’s getting.
“I feel like since I’ve been here, I’ve waited for him to get his opportunity, and it hasn’t worked out. And here it is. He’ll get his touches, and I can’t wait. He’s so electrifying. He puts his foot in the ground and goes. He wiggles out of hits, he wiggles out of tackles. Can’t wait to throw him the ball, get him in the open field. He’s so much fun to watch at practice it’s a long time coming.”
Jones said he is prepared for whatever kind of workload comes his way. Allen said he isn’t sure what to expect from Jones, if only because he hasn’t had ample opportunity to see what Jones can do in a game.
“He’s been a little up and down,” Allen said. “A little injury-prone, or injury-plagued, and so it’s been kind of tough to evaluate because he’s missed some time. But we got confidence in Taiwan, and if he’s called on to step in and play, then we fully anticipate him stepping in and perform and do his job.”
As for Jones’ ability to be an every-down back?
“That remains to be seen,” Allen said. “If he’s called on to do that, then that’s when we’ll know.”

– Defensive tackle Richard Seymour suffered a hamstring injury against the Buccaneers. It turned out to be worse than originally thought, Allen said.
As a result, Seymour missed practice today, and he is questionable for the Ravens game. Allen said he likely won’t get a better feel for whether Seymour can play through hamstring and knee issues until later in the week.
Fortunately for the Raiders, backup defensive tackle Desmond Bryant returned to practice today, so he is available to fill the void if Seymour can’t play.
Bryant was hospitalized Sunday after complaining of a fast, irregular heartbeat. He was released Monday, cleared a battery of tests Tuesday and back on the field today.
“I first noticed something was up at halftime,” Bryant said. “The first series on defense in the second half was the last time I played.”
A short time later, he was on his way to Eden Medical Center for observation and treatment.
Bryant said he wasn’t in any pain, just aware that his heart was working harder than normal to keep blood flowing to his body.
“I wouldn’t say it was scary,” Bryant said. “It surprised me, for sure. I expected to be out for maybe a series or maybe a couple of plays. The next thing I know, I’m being carted off to the hospital. It was upsetting for that to happen but, at the same time, it wasn’t scary.”
Dehydration is the suspected culprit, Bryant said. Makes perfect sense, given how warm it was Sunday.
“Obviously, they’re going to try to monitor it as much as they can,” Bryant said. “Apparently it’s not an uncommon thing to happen to athletes. Since it’s happened to me, I’ve had a number of different people say, ‘I’ve known this or that person who’s had the exact same thing happen to them.’ It’s more comforting to know that.
“At the same time, you don’t want your heart to be doing all that. I’ll try to do whatever I can, and I know the guys in the training room will do the same thing. I should be good to go.”

– Linebacker Aaron Curry practiced today as a member of Oakland’s 53-man roster for the first time. He was activated Tuesday after spending part of the offseason, all of training camp and the first nine weeks of the season rehabilitating his knees.
Curry said his knees got so bad that he had difficulty even walking up and down stairs. They reached that point because he spent too much time working out and playing football and not enough time taking taking care of his body, he said.
Now, Curry is thankful for the chance to return to the field and contribute in any way possible. He said he is game for playing special teams and at any of the three linebacker spots.
“I just want to be a bottle of energy and passion,” Curry said. “That’s what football is about. Playing defense is about energy, and it’s about bringing passion to the game, it’s about bringing passion to the team, it’s about being able to be relied on, be reliable to your teammates that you’ll always have something full of energy, whether it’s words, whether it’s plays, whether it’s encouragement. I just want to be a positive person.”
Allen said Curry’s presence gives defensive coordinator Jason Tarver the flexibility to rest outside linebackers Philip Wheeler and Miles Burris from time to time, a luxury Tarver hasn’t had in recent games.
Wheeler and Burris have been playing every defensive snap since middle linebacker Rolando McClain was taken out of the nickel package.
“As many good players as you can have, as many experienced players as you can have, the better off you’re going to be,” Allen said.
Curry searched far and wide for a way to cure his aching knees. He said he finally found the answer when he hooked up with Dr. Jack Johnson in Danville, and Johnson performed neuromuscular re-education.
The down time allowed Curry to rehab his knees as well as learn the game more in depth.
“I’ve had nothing else to do but study football, which has been good,” Curry said. “Which I think was the purpose of all this, was for me to learn football more in depth, to give myself an advantage, that when it’s time to go, I’ll be a step ahead of everybody.”

– Goodson was spotted with a walking boot on his right foot. It’s a long way from a walking boot Wednesday to playing in a game Sunday. However, Allen isn’t giving up hope just yet.
Goodson was unavailable for comment. Same goes for McFadden, who wasn’t seen during practice or the media-access window.
An MRI performed on Goodson’s ankle Monday returned negative, Allen said. Rookie Jeremy Stewart also is an option at running back, Allen said, if McFadden and Goodson can’t go.
“We’ve got some guys in-house that we feel like could step in if need be,” Allen said. “That’s the way it is anywhere in the NFL. It’s really a next-man-up philosophy, and we’re going to have to count on some guys to step up potentially and fill a bigger role. We’ll know more at the end of the week exactly what we’ve got to do.”

– Cornerback Ron Bartell is eligible to be activated Saturday and play Sunday against the Ravens. He has missed the past seven games while recovering from a shoulder injury.
“I feel real good about where Ron Bartell is,” Allen said.
Bartell practiced at his right cornerback spot today, and he said he is preparing as if he is going to play Sunday.
As for fellow starting cornerback Shawntae Spencer, Allen said: “He’s still not ready yet. But we’re making progress. Hopefully the progress will speed up in the next few days.”
Spencer moved around “better” Tuesday during an off-day workout designed to gauge his recovery from a foot injury he suffered Sept. 16. He has not practiced on played in a game since his injury.

– Right offensive tackle Khalif Barnes practiced today for the first time in more than seven weeks. It remains to be seen whether he can get up to speed in time for Sunday’s game.
“Rusty, but improved,” Allen said in describing how Barnes looked at practice. “Improved. I’m optimistic. I’ll know more at the end of the week whether he’ll have a chance at this game or not.”
If Barnes can’t go, Allen’s options are: sticking with Willie Smith or giving rookie Tony Bergstrom his first shot at playing on offense in a regular-season game.

• DMAC

Raiders were outscored in the third quarter Sunday 21-0 – the Raiders have now been outscored 88-24 in the third quarter this season
    =======

Is this on DA?
    I know there were many missed tackles on Sunday, but we seem to come out flat in the second half of our games, especially the 3rd Q.

• poprox13

Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 10:16 am

WHAT IS THE MEANING OF “MORE RADICAL MEMBERS OF THE FAN BASE”?
    ——–
    Mistic, that means you dumb ass.
    _______________________

LOL

• Purvisman/Intrepid/ Full Disclosure

Captain Queeg: Ahh, but the strawberries that’s… that’s where I had them. They laughed at me and made jokes but I proved beyond the shadow of a doubt and with… geometric logic… that a duplicate key to the wardroom icebox DID exist, and I’d have produced that key if they hadn’t of pulled the Caine out of action. I, I, I know now they were only trying to protect some fellow officers…

• Dakota

Mistic1,

I felt the same way when the media seemed to be protecting Tom Cable….not that I agree with your Palmer takes….I just feel your frustration.

I knew after about 2 games that Cable was not the answer….it took the blog about a year and a half to catch up with me, and Jerry’s writing seemed to try to support the guy.

WIFE BEATING BUFFOON!

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

“Inonewordraider Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 9:24 am
    the reason cam newton and mike vick are struggling #Palmersfault

couldn’t resist”

LMFAO good one

• DMAC

R8ER MIKE Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 10:15 am

DMAC Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 9:41 am
    What up ODB!
    Represent us well this Sunday, Brotheeeeeeeeeeerrrrr!

********************
    had to give my tickets back…
    have to go to a funeral in Ohio.
    =========

Wasn’t meant to be ODB!
    Maybe the Green Party is destined to hook up in Balt someday.

• hwnrdr

LOL, didn’t it turn out to be Randy Hanson? Maybe he beat them and thought it was Cable…ok, just kidding!

• Dakota

549.Seymour Bush Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 10:16 am
    Dakota Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 9:02 am

Palmer has two, maybe three more decent years left. I think he will fade earlier than some because he doesn’t seem to have the accuracy it takes to succeed as an older QB in the NFL. Once that arm strength is gone it will get ugly.
    ===========================================

Huh? Barring injury Palmer should have 5-6 good years left easily. Maybe his accuracy does not come across the TV but watching him live he is ridiculously accurate. If Manning can maintain his basic arm strength with multiple pieces of his neck missing, I don’t worry about Carson. Right now, Carson statistically is very close to Drew Brees. If I had said before the season started Palmer would have a Brees type year I am sure everyone would have taken it.
    +++++++++++++

I am willing to bet that Palmer will not be in the NFL when he is 38-39 years old….$100?

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

This article is written simply to sell carson and dispell any potential upswell in enthusiasm for the young phenom.
    ——-
    LMAO, ‘young phenom’! Seriously? He played one good half against Detroit scrubs. You are something else.

• hwnrdr

DMAC Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 10:19 am
    R8ER MIKE Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 10:15 am

DMAC Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 9:41 am
    What up ODB!
    Represent us well this Sunday, Brotheeeeeeeeeeerrrrr!

********************
    had to give my tickets back…
    have to go to a funeral in Ohio.
    =========

Wasn’t meant to be ODB!
    Maybe the Green Party is destined to hook up in Balt someday.

One day! I am still upset that I had to cancel this trip…but yeah it looks like it wasn’t meant to be! Wouldn’t be right if I went to Baltimore and did NOT meat the ODB!!!

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

jesusraiderjim Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 10:13 am

Are you in the media Meltdowm: I mean Mistic, you are quite a word-smith yourself!
    ============

no im not, however i have spent years studying psy-ops and counter intelligence and the way the apparatus works in here.

In fact every Oakland native should know about cointelpro and how these tactics were/ are used to destroy discredit and create the atmosphere for assassination, as oakland was one of the major testing/proving grounds for these programs.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

MikieG Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 10:03 am

Any of you guys see this yet? Wonder if she can run the ZBS in about 15 years…

===================================

This is HILARIOUS. You know what the difference between her and Darren McFadden it? She doesn’t go down on first contact.

• bcz24

What do u think it would take??
    2nd or 3rd rounder?
    ************
    For Bowe? He will be a free agent. No picks required, he isn’t going to resign with KC, unless the franchise him again at 120% of this years salary, which I doubt will happen.

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

Mistic1′s view on the NFL is warped and distorted it didn’t take two articles written by local sports writers for me to figure that out.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

MikieG Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 10:03 am
    Any of you guys see this yet? Wonder if she can run the ZBS in about 15 years…

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

LOL
    Amazing!

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

=====================================

My statement was “barring injury”. Betting against injuries in the modern NFL especially behind our Oline would not be smart.

• bcz24

Mistic peed on his balls this morning… #PalmersFault

• Dakota

566.Seymour Bush Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 10:23 am
    =====================================

+++++++++++++++

Take the injury factor out….if he isn’t playing due to a career ending injury, then you are off the hook.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Dakota Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 10:17 am

Mistic1,

WIFE BEATING BUFFOON!
    =============

honestly you cant blame the media for this. The oakland tribune and its writers are there to sell papers. people want to read the raiders. so if the media were truly honest and neutral then in fact the negative facts may turn off readers and hurt sales.

this also is a tactic to help keep the gates moving at the coliseum, so it must be packaged in a way that gives a reason to buy tickets.

raiders look good, the paper looks good and vice versa, an unwritten partnership. one of the many that people are subject to in any form of corporate industry, like doctors and big pharma for instance.

• DMAC

========

Mistic is that you and Campbell partying at the Hilton?

• DMAC

bcz24 Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 10:21 am

What do u think it would take??
    2nd or 3rd rounder?
    ************
    ========

Forgot he’s a FA.
    Sign em’

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 10:20 am

——-
    ============

its well documented that pryor was considered a phenom in college.

Phenom being short for phenomenal applies to pryor at this very moment as he is still a phenomenal athlete. we will see how good of a qb he on day

• theghostronin79

545.hwnrdr Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 10:14 am
    Agrred Ghost, but I would activate him at least now…get him in there in some packages…even if he never gets the ball in his hands, wouldn’t that make the DC have to account for him?

=================

Absolutely, it would. And I been scratchin my head since game 1. Everytime we get a shot of the sideline, and I see Pryor in street clothes – chewin on sunflower seeds- I throw my arms up and go “WTF are yall doin?” I mean, SH*T he actually got on the field last year. Then again, alot things this staff is doing this year got me SMH…
    But yeah, I’d been having Pryor dress long time ago and get in there for a minimum of 1 series. Get him a bubble screen…SOMETHIN ! ! !

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

R8ER MIKE Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 10:15 am
    DMAC Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 9:41 am
    What up ODB!
    Represent us well this Sunday, Brotheeeeeeeeeeerrrrr!

********************
    had to give my tickets back…
    have to go to a funeral in Ohio.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I’m sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 10:16 am

WHAT IS THE MEANING OF “MORE RADICAL MEMBERS OF THE FAN BASE”?
    ——–
    Mistic, that means you dumb ass.
    ==========

that was part of my point moron, jerry mac reads the blog then labels anyone that supports pryor a “radical”.

this is propaganda at its zenith, associating the name of pryor with radicalism. while at the same time dismissing the fans that want to see pryor succeed as undesirable or unhinged.

jerry mac, and corky agents of deception

• Dakota

Bowe has issues, but he would certainly be a MAJOR upgrade over DHB.

2010-2012:

DHB
    109 Rec 1630 yards 7 TDs

Bowe
    198 Rec 2982 yards 23 TDs

Bowe has issues with drops and attitude….but as long as he produces like that, Reggie should be able to live with it lol.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Silverandblack666 Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 10:21 am

Mistic1’s view on the NFL is warped and distorted it didn’t take two articles written by local sports writers for me to figure that out.
    ===========

my view??

you have no clue on how i view it

• Dakota

Carson needs a WR he can count on in the red zone….DHB ain’t that. Moore….too short, but sometimes gets the job done. Myers and other TEs….not good enough.

It is also Knapp’s fault lol.

• DMAC

Who’s to blame for our 3rd Q ass whoopins?
    DA?
    Or our under talented Defense?
    Or both?

• The Big Banana

Who’s to blame for our 3rd Q ass whoopins?

——–

Turd Monkeys!

• DMAC

Who got a chance to see the film?

Who were the LB’s on the long runs?

Burris/Wheeler? Or was McJogger in there?

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Dakota Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 10:35 am

It is also Knapp’s fault lol.
    —————————–
    It is Knapps fault. Look how Criner went up in a crowd to come down with that 2pt conversion. Seems like he’s been in Knapps schithouse too.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

jerry mac, and cork with their feverish efforts to sell palmer to the fan base are almost like a coke a cola commercial. they have absolutely blugeoned us with this campaign. lets revisit some of the word association with regards to palmer found in the oakland tribune & used by these to agents since the arrival of palmer.

“elite” “instant upgrade” “dynamic duo” (palmer and dmac togeher), “vailidating the trade” “raider yardage record” “projected td totals” “adept at bring the raiders back”

There is a clear agenda and slant in play with our local writers. Im thinking back but i dont remember this kind of coverage for a qb since kerry collins got here and started off hot.

repetition is the single most effective tool used for brain wash

• The Big Banana

Lol at Knapp wanting to become a head coach.

• theghostronin79

=======

That’s another thing that had me scratchin my head. Why the hell Criner hasn’t been on the field. I know he had his ankle thing but, he’s been healthy for awhile now. He should at LEAST be splitting time with Streater, not getting table scraps. Hopefully that catch he made will demand more playing time.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

I always thought Criner would be used in the Red Zone. But…………………

• jesusraiderjim

————————————
    Are all the murders in Oaktown propaganda too!

If you say yes you’re a damn liar

• jesusraiderjim

repetition is the single most effective tool used for brain wash

—————————————————-
    That why fools keep REPEATEDLY killin each other?

• R8ER MIKE

thakns O DMAC & hwnrdr.
    the bad part is its my WIFES uncle, and he was a Browns fan !!
    only reason for me to go is to drive her up there.
    maybe now i can use that as leverage to make the trip to OAKLAND !!! lol lol lol

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

why not feature DHB in the passing game. he has caught the ball deep, over the middle, in traffic, in the end zone, and has delivered yards after the catch.

It seems to me that not finding ways to get this giant wrecking ball of a receiver with mercurial speed is a major waste and big issue for our offense. he should be targets 6-10 times a game.

you can use reverses and bubble screens with this kid to because of his exceptional running ability.

he has caught the ball this year better than anybody else on the team, proving again that he is the best receiver we have on the roster, and one of our best players period.

Of course mac and cork would never admit this after writing him off on draft day.

• DMAC

I got this funny little feeling that Taiwan is going to run all over the Ravens.
    There D has had problems stopping the run this season.
    + I’m sure they don’t have much film on him.
    Ravens run D is suspect, but I forgot we can’t run the ball anyways….

• R8ER MIKE

*thanks…. damn these fat fingers !!

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

jesusraiderjim Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 10:51 am

————————————
    Are all the murders in Oaktown propaganda too!

If you say yes you’re a damn liar
    jesusraiderjim Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 10:53 am

repetition is the single most effective tool used for brain wash

—————————————————-
    That why fools keep REPEATEDLY killin each other?
    ==========

can anyone make any sense out of this? im at a loss.

How do you ‘repeatedly” kill someone? once your dead that is it.

What does murder in oaklnd have to do with football beat writers?

talk about wild eyed conspiracy theorist, lol this place is a nut house at times

• theghostronin79

586.KoolKell Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 10:51 am
    I always thought Criner would be used in the Red Zone. But…………………

============

Same here. I thought for sure…Hopefully he made a case for himself last Sunday. It WAS a damn nice catch. And that’s what he brings.

Myers?…..Best hands on the team?…..HAAA
    I bet you it’s J Criner.

• inonewordraider

I personally like palmer because he’s white!

• DMAC

R8ER MIKE Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 10:55 am

thakns O DMAC & hwnrdr.
    the bad part is its my WIFES uncle, and he was a Browns fan !!
    only reason for me to go is to drive her up there.
    ===========

Green Party convention in the O!
    B there or be square!

• hwnrdr

R8ER MIKE Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 10:55 am
    thakns O DMAC & hwnrdr.
    the bad part is its my WIFES uncle, and he was a Browns fan !!
    only reason for me to go is to drive her up there.

That would be great! But that is a far drive…one day!

• inonewordraider

JC not starting over Cutler and Joe Webb not starting over Ponder? #CarsonPalmersfault

• theghostronin79

590.Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 10:56 am

===========

Damn Straight man…..Damn Straight. I has GOT to be involved more than he has. Don’t forget the over shoulder Endzone grab earlier this year, yeah and the 2 one handed snags with DB’s hangin off him. He brings his hard hat to work and ALL he wants to do is contribute. Don’t have one ounce of “Diva” in him. His stats are lower than last year but, I’d say this is his best year hands down – performance wise.

• DMAC

inonewordraider Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 10:59 am

I personally like palmer because he’s white!
    =========

I personally like Eddie Carmona, because he’s Mexican!
    Mexican kickers are the wave of the future.