Jones prepares for increased workload; Curry plans to bring passion

By Steve Corkran
Wednesday, November 7th, 2012 at 3:43 pm in Oakland Raiders.

With Nos. 1 and 2 running backs Darren McFadden and Mike Goodson in question, second-year running back Taiwan Jones is preparing for an opportunity that he has waited for the past 1 1/2 seasons.
To be clear, Raiders coach Dennis Allen isn’t ruling out McFadden or Goodson for Sunday’s game against the Baltimore Ravens. But, for now, all eyes are on Jones as he steps to the forefront in his teammates’ absence.
“I’m definitely excited,” Jones said. “There’s definitely an opportunity for me to extend my role on the team. I’m getting the opportunity, so I want to make the most of it.”
Jones has been limited to one carry this season in the first eight games. He rushed 16 times for 73 yards last season as a rookie.
With the departure of Michael Bush in free agency, Jones was given a shot at the No. 2 spot in an open competition against Goodson. Jones’ chances took a blow when he suffered a hamstring injury early in training camp.
Now, McFadden and Goodson are fresh from high-ankle sprains that they suffered against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sunday. All tests run on them returned negative.
Yet, they weren’t able to practice today. That left Jones and fullback Marcel Reece as the lone options at running back until further notice.
Jones isn’t the only one excited about the prospect of getting meaningful playing time. Quarterback Carson Palmer said he has waited for more than a year to see what Jones can do in a game.
Jones has spent most of his time this season on special teams, with the occasional touch on offense.
“I feel like I’ve been waiting forever,” Palmer said. “I can’t wait. He does amazing things in practice and he’s by far the fastest person on the field and he will be the fastest person on the field on Sunday. And not that you want to see guys get banged up, but I’m excited about the opportunity he’s getting.
“I feel like since I’ve been here, I’ve waited for him to get his opportunity, and it hasn’t worked out. And here it is. He’ll get his touches, and I can’t wait. He’s so electrifying. He puts his foot in the ground and goes. He wiggles out of hits, he wiggles out of tackles. Can’t wait to throw him the ball, get him in the open field. He’s so much fun to watch at practice it’s a long time coming.”
Jones said he is prepared for whatever kind of workload comes his way. Allen said he isn’t sure what to expect from Jones, if only because he hasn’t had ample opportunity to see what Jones can do in a game.
“He’s been a little up and down,” Allen said. “A little injury-prone, or injury-plagued, and so it’s been kind of tough to evaluate because he’s missed some time. But we got confidence in Taiwan, and if he’s called on to step in and play, then we fully anticipate him stepping in and perform and do his job.”
As for Jones’ ability to be an every-down back?
“That remains to be seen,” Allen said. “If he’s called on to do that, then that’s when we’ll know.”

– Defensive tackle Richard Seymour suffered a hamstring injury against the Buccaneers. It turned out to be worse than originally thought, Allen said.
As a result, Seymour missed practice today, and he is questionable for the Ravens game. Allen said he likely won’t get a better feel for whether Seymour can play through hamstring and knee issues until later in the week.
Fortunately for the Raiders, backup defensive tackle Desmond Bryant returned to practice today, so he is available to fill the void if Seymour can’t play.
Bryant was hospitalized Sunday after complaining of a fast, irregular heartbeat. He was released Monday, cleared a battery of tests Tuesday and back on the field today.
“I first noticed something was up at halftime,” Bryant said. “The first series on defense in the second half was the last time I played.”
A short time later, he was on his way to Eden Medical Center for observation and treatment.
Bryant said he wasn’t in any pain, just aware that his heart was working harder than normal to keep blood flowing to his body.
“I wouldn’t say it was scary,” Bryant said. “It surprised me, for sure. I expected to be out for maybe a series or maybe a couple of plays. The next thing I know, I’m being carted off to the hospital. It was upsetting for that to happen but, at the same time, it wasn’t scary.”
Dehydration is the suspected culprit, Bryant said. Makes perfect sense, given how warm it was Sunday.
“Obviously, they’re going to try to monitor it as much as they can,” Bryant said. “Apparently it’s not an uncommon thing to happen to athletes. Since it’s happened to me, I’ve had a number of different people say, ‘I’ve known this or that person who’s had the exact same thing happen to them.’ It’s more comforting to know that.
“At the same time, you don’t want your heart to be doing all that. I’ll try to do whatever I can, and I know the guys in the training room will do the same thing. I should be good to go.”

– Linebacker Aaron Curry practiced today as a member of Oakland’s 53-man roster for the first time. He was activated Tuesday after spending part of the offseason, all of training camp and the first nine weeks of the season rehabilitating his knees.
Curry said his knees got so bad that he had difficulty even walking up and down stairs. They reached that point because he spent too much time working out and playing football and not enough time taking taking care of his body, he said.
Now, Curry is thankful for the chance to return to the field and contribute in any way possible. He said he is game for playing special teams and at any of the three linebacker spots.
“I just want to be a bottle of energy and passion,” Curry said. “That’s what football is about. Playing defense is about energy, and it’s about bringing passion to the game, it’s about bringing passion to the team, it’s about being able to be relied on, be reliable to your teammates that you’ll always have something full of energy, whether it’s words, whether it’s plays, whether it’s encouragement. I just want to be a positive person.”
Allen said Curry’s presence gives defensive coordinator Jason Tarver the flexibility to rest outside linebackers Philip Wheeler and Miles Burris from time to time, a luxury Tarver hasn’t had in recent games.
Wheeler and Burris have been playing every defensive snap since middle linebacker Rolando McClain was taken out of the nickel package.
“As many good players as you can have, as many experienced players as you can have, the better off you’re going to be,” Allen said.
Curry searched far and wide for a way to cure his aching knees. He said he finally found the answer when he hooked up with Dr. Jack Johnson in Danville, and Johnson performed neuromuscular re-education.
The down time allowed Curry to rehab his knees as well as learn the game more in depth.
“I’ve had nothing else to do but study football, which has been good,” Curry said. “Which I think was the purpose of all this, was for me to learn football more in depth, to give myself an advantage, that when it’s time to go, I’ll be a step ahead of everybody.”

– Goodson was spotted with a walking boot on his right foot. It’s a long way from a walking boot Wednesday to playing in a game Sunday. However, Allen isn’t giving up hope just yet.
Goodson was unavailable for comment. Same goes for McFadden, who wasn’t seen during practice or the media-access window.
An MRI performed on Goodson’s ankle Monday returned negative, Allen said. Rookie Jeremy Stewart also is an option at running back, Allen said, if McFadden and Goodson can’t go.
“We’ve got some guys in-house that we feel like could step in if need be,” Allen said. “That’s the way it is anywhere in the NFL. It’s really a next-man-up philosophy, and we’re going to have to count on some guys to step up potentially and fill a bigger role. We’ll know more at the end of the week exactly what we’ve got to do.”

– Cornerback Ron Bartell is eligible to be activated Saturday and play Sunday against the Ravens. He has missed the past seven games while recovering from a shoulder injury.
“I feel real good about where Ron Bartell is,” Allen said.
Bartell practiced at his right cornerback spot today, and he said he is preparing as if he is going to play Sunday.
As for fellow starting cornerback Shawntae Spencer, Allen said: “He’s still not ready yet. But we’re making progress. Hopefully the progress will speed up in the next few days.”
Spencer moved around “better” Tuesday during an off-day workout designed to gauge his recovery from a foot injury he suffered Sept. 16. He has not practiced on played in a game since his injury.

– Right offensive tackle Khalif Barnes practiced today for the first time in more than seven weeks. It remains to be seen whether he can get up to speed in time for Sunday’s game.
“Rusty, but improved,” Allen said in describing how Barnes looked at practice. “Improved. I’m optimistic. I’ll know more at the end of the week whether he’ll have a chance at this game or not.”
If Barnes can’t go, Allen’s options are: sticking with Willie Smith or giving rookie Tony Bergstrom his first shot at playing on offense in a regular-season game.

• bcz24

576.Dakota Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 10:33 am
    Bowe has issues, but he would certainly be a MAJOR upgrade over DHB.

2010-2012:

DHB
    109 Rec 1630 yards 7 TDs

Bowe
    198 Rec 2982 yards 23 TDs

Bowe has issues with drops and attitude….but as long as he produces like that, Reggie should be able to live with it lol.
    ***********************
    Bowes #1 issues has been the lack of consistancy at QB. In 2010 Bowe was a top 3 receiver in the league, 2010 being the only year Cassell has shown any consistancy in his play. I think Bowe with Palmer could be deadly.

• inonewordraider

I think CP is a smart qb and he throws the ball to the guy in single coverage or the guy that’s open. I don’t think he should be forcing it to dhb in double coverage, we all know he throws enough pics as it is

• hwnrdr

With that logic, I liked Jason Elam because he was from Hawaii! Guess what? When he became a Donkey…I hated him! LOL

• bcz24

DHB’s #1 problem is the ability to separate from the CB’s. He just doesn’t create the space for the qb to feel comfortable throwing him the ball. I love DHB, but he just isn’t a #1 guy. Neither is Moore imo. I think our cast of WR’s with a true veteran #1 WR could be great, not good, but GREAT. We just need that true #1 guy.

• DMAC

hwnrdr Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 11:07 am

========

Elam was good, but imagine if Sea Bass were a Donkey his entire career?
    Would he be the all time greatest kicker in the NFL?

• theghostronin79

Hwnrdr,

What do you think of Marcus Mario’ta?
    From Hawai’i but, KILLING it at Oregon.

• Gdog

Damn Straight man…..Damn Straight. I has GOT to be involved more than he has. Don’t forget the over shoulder Endzone grab earlier this year, yeah and the 2 one handed snags with DB’s hangin off him. He brings his hard hat to work and ALL he wants to do is contribute. Don’t have one ounce of “Diva” in him. His stats are lower than last year but, I’d say this is his best year hands down – performance wise.
    >>>>

I’d think CP would start getting more touches to DHB considering his obvious favorite target Moore dropped one easy pass last week, and either ran the wrong route or had the wrong read at least three times… including the game ender. He’s also dropped two passes in the end zone this year.

Streater is also coming on strong and needs more touches…

• hwnrdr

Probably DMAC! Didn’t SeaBass tie the record there in Mile High?

• DMAC

hwnrdr Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 11:11 am

Probably DMAC! Didn’t SeaBass tie the record there in Mile High?
    ======

I think so

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

inonewordraider Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 11:07 am

=============================

No most of the picks carson has thrown in oakland have been to guys that are not in single coverage, just poor reads or bad decisions.

this is the major flaw in his game, not being patient enough or smart enough to take the single coverage and not force the ball down field.

besides DHb has not been doubled for every pass play, crason just prefers to look up streeter and moore. the trend continues from last year

• DMAC
  • http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 10:34 am
    Silverandblack666 Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 10:21 am

Mistic1’s view on the NFL is warped and distorted it didn’t take two articles written by local sports writers for me to figure that out.
    ===========

my view??

you have no clue on how i view it”

I know you think Palmer is a failure therefore I DO know your view and it stinks!

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

DHB doesnt need to be a so called ” number one guy”, but he does need the ball.

If the issue is separation be creative with motion and underneath routes. Use rubs and picks on slants and crossing patterns.

I think it is simply a matter of plamer not looking him up, and what ever the reason is it doesnt justify the action.

DHB has caught the ball in traffic extremely well, besides there are plenty of receivers over the years that doent “seperate” and still contribute big time.

keyshawn johnson, vincent jackson, al toon, tim brown and jery rice here while they were here together.

Throw him the ball he is the most consistent pass catcher on the team, and one of the most explosive wrs in the nfl.

• inonewordraider

moore streater myers dhb have all earned touches, gotta get it to the open guy or singly covered guy without a superstar at wr. dhb has earned the right to trust throwing it up to in single coverage even if he’s not open

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Silverandblack666 Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 11:17 am

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 10:34 am
    Silverandblack666 Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 10:21 am

===========

my view??

you have no clue on how i view it”

=========

you said my view on the nfl

my view on palmer is another discussion

you dont know my view so stfu

• inonewordraider

DMAC Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 11:13 am
    Wave of the future….

____________________
    yezzzziirr

• inonewordraider

i know one thing, if mistic were the president he’d paint the white house black

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

Palmer makes great reads at the LOS Mistic1 your such a liar even Dan Fout’s and Phil Simm’s can’t compliment him enough they say great things about him when they announce one of our games all game long have you ever listened to a Raiders game?

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

it makes no sense to me that with talented guys like DHB moore streetr and criner that brandon myers is the reception leader. I mean are he and palmer roommates?

That is like owning a garage fool of sports cars but choosing to race in a model t

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

“you dont know my view so stfu”

Your an arrogant racist f@ck who is so blinded by his hate his views are distorted to the point where your fanhood here is questioned.

• inonewordraider

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 11:21 am

______________
    the guy get’s open and it’s noticable. his favorite wr target is moore, why? he’s the best we have. if you’ve noticed the catches dhb has caught have been of the difficult variety because guys have been all over him yet cp still throws to him, why because it’s single coverage which is when he should be targeted. as far as routes are concerned that’s on the playcalling

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

So Dan Fouts, Phil Simms all of the local sports writers are all WRONG and Mystic1 is right.

Come on Man!

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Silverandblack666 Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 11:20 am

========

who said he didnt? It cant be denied that after the snap he has forced quite a few errant throws into targets that are not open and covered by more than one guy since joining the raider team.

Im not ripping him, however im sure even he would admit he needs to get better in this area in particular. in fact he has after the last two games ended with his picks

• No Mas Diamante

Want to see more of Criner. He goes up and gets it. I like our wr core. Young but tons of talent and depth.

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

Palmer is great he is here for at least three more years just shut up and enjoy having a good QB here while we rebuild.

• DMAC

I want to see no huddle, all game long.
    Can’t go any worse than Knappy calling the plays.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Silverandblack666 Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 11:22 am

“you dont know my view so stfu”

==========

racist? what proof do you have to back up this slander?

I have been attacked by racists on this blog for years, i have seen disgusting things written time and time again. i will always defend my self, it is the right of a free man, and the duty of a warrior.

you must understand that this board is a reflection of larger society. White men are the vast majority on this board therfore this board is also infected with many of the ills that have been documented in society since the inception of this country.

I dont expect people to support my take, im out numbered here.

Admitting this and self defense are not racist, just practical.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Silverandblack666 Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 11:27 am

===========

you are entitled to your undying hero worship. i dont have to agree with your take on palmer.

Im sure there are guys that you are not sold on on the roster, does that make you less of a fan?

so if you point out flaws in willie smith’s game, are you less of a fan?

or is only questioning the qb out of bounds?

• inonewordraider

has cp made some critical errors? no doubt. but i think our wr corps is deep but average at best.

Streater =undrafted
    Moore= 2nd year, undersized, dropped his share
    DHB=well rounded but doesn’t seem to get open
    Criner=rookie, slow, dropped alotta balls preseason
    Hagan=slow, journeyman, sure handed but not much seperation
    Ausberry=raw, learning the position
    Gordon=not known as a pass catcher
    Reece=solid, but too small to be a te, too slow to be a wr, fb don’t get on the field much

Cp in my opinion has made the most out of these guys

• theghostronin79

Why does it even bother you Mistic? I mean, it wouldn’t bother me if someone said I was g@y, cause I ain’t. I got a hot a$$ woman I go home to every night. If you ain’t racist and you know that, why do you feel the need to defend yourself so much….. I read alot in here, and see it.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

I dont expect people to support my take, im out numbered here.

Admitting this and self defense are not racist, just practical.
    ——————————–
    Me too. I’m constantly called a Welfare Check Casher, Shoe shine boy, Sponging of my white wife……….

• DMAC

KoolKell Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 11:35 am

I dont expect people to support my take, im out numbered here.

Admitting this and self defense are not racist, just practical.
    ——————————–
    ========

Cry me a river

• DMAC

Only the strong survive!

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Cry me a river
    —————–
    Not crying, just saying. But, it makes you people hostile.

• The Big Banana

Surprised we don’t have some packages for Pryor. Dual QB, end-around WR option to pass, double pass, etc.

• theghostronin79

========

KK, I obviously don’t know you man, but I been reading the blog for years, and you DO take alot of CRAP in here. Must stem from issuses before I came along. I personally got no agaendas with anyone or FOR anyone. I just wanna talk Raider football and that’s it. Nothing more. You were in the Navy, and that gets enough respect from me ; a fellow Marine…..

• DMAC

Kell
    U say a lot of schit that triggers a lot of people on here and then wonder why your being attacked?\
    Think about it.
    Real talk man.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

theghostronin79 Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 11:33 am

=============

it doesnt bother me, im was born into the warrior class, as a result I was born for battle.

I believe in the old african code, “an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth”. it is just fair and righteous.

besides why turn the other cheek so you van be hit on the other side of the face?

I will never submit and i live to destroy my enemies

ASE

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

DMAC Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 11:39 am

Kell
    ———————–
    Like what?

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

KoolKell Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 11:35 am

I dont expect people to support my take, im out numbered here.

Admitting this and self defense are not racist, just practical.
    ——————————–
    ==========

YEP so then they can expect to bet hit back,

‘”every action has an equal an opposite reaction” – newton

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

DMAC Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 11:36 am

KoolKell Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 11:35 am

I dont expect people to support my take, im out numbered here.

Admitting this and self defense are not racist, just practical.
    ——————————–
    ========

Cry me a river
    =========

count on it…crying tears of joy when i take off the heads of my enemies

• theghostronin79

639.Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 11:43 am
    theghostronin79 Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 11:33 am

=============

I will never submit and i live to destroy my enemies

ASE

===========

I got the Warrior blood too. I’ll always be a Marine in my heart. But over the years, I’ve chosen which battles to fight and which to just put my hand in the air and say “You ain’t worth my breath”

My family, my friends…I’ll fight to the death for.
    My pride, and dignity are MINE…Can’t be taken by another mans words.

• DMAC

KoolKell Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 11:44 am

DMAC Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 11:39 am

Kell
    ———————–
    Like what?
    ========

You like posting the same ass schit. Over and over and over.
    You call people dumbasses.
    You like to brag about your little trips over seas.
    It goes on and on and on.

• DMAC

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 11:43 am

theghostronin79 Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 11:33 am

=============

I will never submit and i live to destroy my enemies

ASE
    =========

2Pac

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

DMAC Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 11:46 am

You like to brag about your little trips over seas.
    ———————–
    Yeah, that really upsets them. Smh.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

You call people dumbasses.
    ———————
    Yeah, I do. AFTER Ive been attacked.

• DMAC

Kell
    I have no beef w/ u what so ever.
    To keep it real w/ u.
    I think many people talk schit about you, because they see you as a easy target.

• Just Fire Baby

that was part of my point moron, jerry mac reads the blog then labels anyone that supports pryor a “radical”.

******************************

Jerry Mac and Cork do read the blog, and the “radical” label is just pointing to you in general, has nothing to do with actually supporting Pryor.

“and some of the more radical elements of the Raider fan base would like to see No. 3 quarterback Terrelle Pryor, inactive for the first eight weeks.”

That comment simply translates to, some of the biggest idiots on the blog (hint-hint) want Terrell Pryor.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

DMAC Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 11:46 am

You like to brag about your little trips over seas.
    ————————
    Have you ever been on a “little trip overseas”?

• daraider09

bcz24 Says:
    November 8th, 2012 at 8:33 am
    Looks like Paul G is sick of reading Mistics anti-palmer drivel too… he started the #PalmersFault hashtag on twitter. Its kinda funny to read them all.
    **************************************************
    Actually I did.

My handle is daraider84 on twitter.

Trace it back to Sunday after the game, Monday and Tuesday morning.

It started gaining steam Tuesday afternoon.

I was cracking up.

I was saying “Carson’s fault” in response to a bunch of tweets about stats, etc from the different writers. Mainly on how bad the run defense played verses Doug Martin.