McFadden, Goodson and Seymour no-gos

As expected, running backs Darren McFadden and Mike Goodson, as well as defensive tackle Richard Seymour, won’t play Sunday against the Baltimore Ravens.
Raiders coach Dennis Allen said as much after his team wrapped up its third and final practice Friday and just before the team boarded buses for the short trip to the Oakland International Airport for the flight to Baltimore.
“You don’t ever know exactly how someone is going to respond to an injury,” Allen said in explaining why he waited until now to make the decision. “Obviously, none of them make enough progress this week that they were able to be up. We’ll probably be going through the same thing next week and we’ll see where we’re at.”
Allen said the Raiders will turn over the running game to second-year back Taiwan Jones and fullback Marcel Reece. It also helps that the Ravens are 29th against the run at an average of 139.5 yards per game.
Which player starts will depend upon how the Raiders open up on offense. Allen said Reece also will play some fullback.
This will be Jones’ first true chance to show what he can do in a regular-season game. Until now, he has been the No. 3 back for his first 1 1/2 NFL seasons.
Jones rushed 16 times for 73 yards last season. He carried the ball for the first time this season last Sunday against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and netted 2 yards on his lone carry.
Reece isn’t a true running back, but he is fast enough and big enough to hold his own if called upon.
The Raiders still have the option of signing rookie running Jeremy Stewart from the practice squad between now and Sunday’s game. He will accompany the Raiders on the trip to Baltimore, Allen said.
McFadden, Goodson and Seymour sat out all three practices this week. Coaches typically are hesitant about playing players that don’t practice all week.

– Cornerback Shawntae Spencer also has been ruled out for Sunday’s game, which comes as no surprise, given he hasn’t practiced since he suffered a right foot injury almost two months ago.
Ron Bartell likely will be activated Saturday, Allen said, and start Sunday. He will play right cornerback as often as he can handle in his return from a shoulder injury suffered in the opener.
Michael Huff will play opposite Bartell, with Matt Giordano remaining at Huff’s regular free safety spot.

– Desmond Bryant will start in place of Seymour on Sunday, Allen said.
“He’s had absolutely no issues, at least any issues that I’m aware of or that our trainers are aware of,” Allen said in response to the fast, irregular heartbeat that hospitalized Bryant last Sunday.

– Willie Smith is going to remain the starting right offensive tackle for now, Allen said.
“He has continued to work, he has continued to try to improve,” Allen said. “Again, we feel like that he’s the guy that gives us the best chance to be successful. So, he’s going to continue staying in that role right now.”
Khalif Barnes just hasn’t had enough time to get into football shape yet, Allen said, after missing the past seven weeks with a groin injury.

Steve Corkran

• lefty12

The thing is he wasn’t schooled in those things.He didn’t get the proper training.Throwing him out there now could set him back-make him revert to all the things they are trying to break him of and all the things he is now learning.Palmer will be the starting QB for the Raiders in all likelihood next year.There is no reason to rush the kid.

• Priesttj12

What is the hurry?The time to play him will be when he has shown he has earned it and deserves to play,not before.If and when he develops as you believe,then he should see the field.Until that happens it would send the wrong message to the rest of the players working their butts off trying to get into games but can’t.
    ***************************************
    Lefty12 what you’re missing is those same players see this kid in Practice and if indeed he is WOWING them, sending the wrong message is NOT even an issue…

• http://ggeden.blogspot.com/ GG

The key point…when the season is mathematically over, they’ll get players like Crawford, Bilukidi, Pryor, Stewart, Bergstrom (if he hasnt started yet), Criner, and other players into live games at some point to evaluate them FURTHER. They wont throw games, they’re trying to win every game etc. But when the season is a wash, you OFTEN see teams around the league starting their rookie QB, for instance, to get him acclimated, as they’re planning forward, ready to move on from the incumbent vet on decline.

Im not saying Palmer is going to be phased out. I still believe he’ll be here next year because they’ll try to make a playoff run whilever they have Palmer playing at a high level. They know the AFC West is winnable. But you guys saying NFL teams do not bring in rookies into games when the season is a wash, are wrong. It happens all the time. They phase them in, get them acclimated, they got drafted specifically so that EVENTUALLY they can contribute and be starters.

If they believe Pryor is worth persevering with, they’ll continue to develop him next training camp and get him some quarters of play this season.

None of us truly know how Reggie/DA/Knapp/DeFillipo think about Pryor’s long-term viability…UNTIL we see a decision made WHEN the season is a wash. We’ll get an indication how they truly feel at that time.

1. He gets live action (means they’re evaluating him further and either he becomes #2 in 2013, or released post-season deciding he sucks).

2. He doesnt see any real action and they cut him (means you Pryor haters were right, they hated him too).

3. He doesnt see any real action, they draft another QB, but they give him another year in training camp (means theyre running a professional org and arent holding grudges or biases against any Al or non-Al players).

• Priesttj12

Palmer doesn’t speak in the terms regarding this kid for nothing and that is what GOT my attention. Because he knows more than anyone what it takes………he calls it “TP TIME” and when he discusses TP he doesn’t mince words……it’s very clear he think very highly of him.

His words NOT mine….

• lefty12

• fangsraiders
  • lefty12

GG-comments like ‘you Pryor haters’ is really silly.Questioning and wondering about a player doesn’t mean you hate the guy.That crap happens on this blog all the time and it is ridiculous.

• http://ggeden.blogspot.com/ GG

• fangsraiders

Lefty12 Says:
    November 9th, 2012 at 11:03 pm
    Priest,you have to realize just because I preach patience doesn’t mean i’m against the kid.We’ve had this conversation many times.He is a Raider,i want him to succeed.And questioning whether or not he will be the next ‘guy’ doesn’t mean I dislike him or that I’m against him.I thought Russell would be our QB for the next 15 years.It didn’t turn out that way and there is no guarantee Pryor will be that guy either. ====== YEAH RIGHT….ONE SECOND AFTER THE RAIDERS PICKED THAT BIG DUMB BABOON I SAID “THE BIGGEST BUST IN NFL HISTORY”…..AND I WAS RIGHT LIKE ALWAYS!

• Priesttj12

Guys hard work always gets rewarded one way or the other, based on eveerything I’ve heard the kids work ethic is off the chain. His desire to be great is second to none and when you couple that with his all-world talent the possibilities are limitless.It’s exciting to ponder what he can do when he gets his chance…..nothing agianst Palmer at all.

• JB

lefty12 Says:
    November 9th, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Priesttj12 Says:
    November 9th, 2012 at 10:38 pm
    Lefty12, If Palmer plays another 4-6 years then obviously he’s playing extremely well. That is a good thing, my point along with everyone else’s is it will be hard to stay in that role if Pryor is who I think he is. If he is NOT I wWANT palmer here for the next 4-6 years.

Understand this is not a knock on Palmer at all I’m telling what I see in Pryormay supercede that as Palmer gets older. He may not be able to hold onto that job with this kid coming the wya he’s coming. And that is a good thing as well it’s a win win situation how can we go wrong with either given the situation.

If Pryor developes in such a way that they have to play him. How is that a bad thing? If palmer plays so well he doesn’t give way, how is that a bad thing. All I’m saying is this kid is special I didn’t push like hell to get this kid for nothing. I saw greatness in him absolute greatness or I wouldn’t have bothered……….period
    ===============================
    **************************

Lefty, you forget that this is not the old days. Free agency changed EVERYTHING. We could afford to nurture Stabler because he couldn’t go anywhere. The Raiders owned him. Thats not the case today. Let’s not put a lot of time into developing someone only to have them leave for greener pastures. Young players have to produce much earlier than the old days. This has become a league of what can you do for me today or tomorrow? Beyond that is at best a crap shoot.

• fangsraiders

GG Says:
    November 9th, 2012 at 11:08 pm
    Fangs you dont belong on this blog. Youre not genuinely here to talk football objectively. ====== WHAT THE F DO YOU KNOW…IVE BEEN WATCHING FOOTBALL BEFORE THERE WAS “THE OAKLAND RAIDERS”….I AM THE TRUTH….LEARN IT

• MiamiRaider78

Fck the Warriors! LOL

Plenty of shet talking about the Lakers. Had to get this in before bed.

• lefty12

Priest,I don’t think anyone is arguing that point.And he will get his chance.All I’m saying is there is no reason to rush things.He has had to have many bad habits corrected.Rushing him could bring some of those bad habits back to the front.

• http://ggeden.blogspot.com/ GG

Im not saying YOU are a Pryor-hater, but some people on this blog are. Like Zymurge. He has already fashioned and cast his opinion on Pryor before he even entered the NFL. He doesn’t like Pryor. That’s his prerogative. Not saying he should. Just that people in general who declare a player a bust or boom long before they’ve even had the opportunity, while still learning a system, only their first real season in the NFL, it’s just way to premature to say.

Even Tebow…I never declared him a bust prematurely. wanted to see him first. I had my suspicions, were correct — running pro-style he cant cut it (not yet anyway). Running option, he’s fine. But one cant run full option in the NFL apparently.

Pryor is more than that tho. His Ohio career did involve pro-style and he was very good at it, not too far from where Newton/RGIII were. If Pryor was drafted by the Redskins, say, and they wanted to bring him in straight away this year, he would’ve been given the same red carpet as RGIII was afforded….them making him work week 1 by installing much of the stuff he ran at Ohio, like the redskins are doing with RGIII this year running a lot of Baylor plays. That’s all they’re doing. RGIII’s growing pains will come like Pryor’s are already happening….learning the pro-style game in greater depth.

• Priesttj12

Another thing I think Palmer will outplay Flacco sunday so if we can get a t/o or 2 and the running game shows up this will be a shocking victory. I’m predicting TJ having a decent game but in the coming weeks I see TJ putting up some serious #’s. He will give the Raiders the option to explore trading DMC that is how talented I think TJ is.

• lefty12

Nite guys,I’m out.We could go round and round all night about this.Just remember,just because some of us preach a little patience doesn’t mean we are against the kid or dislike him.We just believe he should be brought along differently.

• Priesttj12

****************************************

Well said, people just don’t get it about Pryor and it’s in part due to what Russell did here. What they don’t get is Pryor is an all world competitor he will not stop until he is what HE SEES himself as an outstanding QB.

• fangsraiders

Ni66ers in the Theatre Lines ====
    I took the wife and kids to see a movie this past weekend, Hotel Transylvania, good movie, the kids enjoyed it.

The part that ruined our day was having to wait in the movie line with all the feral fvcking ni66ers. There was an especially long line, and we were stuck right in the middle of a pack of ooking and eeking Street Apes. There was a ni66er sow in front of us, with straightened gold painted hair, and her feral sh!tskin protruding out of either side of her shirt at her waistline. The stench was ungodly. She had 5 or 6 little sh!tskin chillens with her, they were completely out of control, swinging from the aisle ropes, ooking, eeking, shreeking, running into people, the usual TNB. They had some arcade games in the lobby, and of course, the ni6lets were climbing all over them, not playing them because they don’t take EBT cards. My son is a video game junkie, and he wanted to play, so I gave him some quarters, but of course, the feral fvcking monkeys wouldn’t climb out of the game so the humans can play, so my son comes back and tells me the mooncrickets won’t get off of the game, so I go over to try to get the little fvcks off of the game so my kid could play, they paid no attention to me, and kept shreiking and howling like the filthy animals they are. I decided it was best that my son didn’t get his clothes or hands soiled by the feral grease that was encasing the arcade games from all the coons, and that we should just get back in line an decide what candy to get. The ni66erlings certainly wouldn’t move just by my request, and I didn’t feel like getting arrested for forcefully removing the lemurs or causing a mass chimpout.

So back to the movie line, the greasy gold-headed sheboon gets to the ticket counter, and first tries to pay with her EBT card. The teller, who appeared to be of Indian descent or some other middle eastern country, clearly didn’t like dealing with the porch monkeys, and told her she couldn’t pay with that card. She ooked for a minute then handed him another credit card and eeked “trah’s dis wuhn”, teller swipes it and card is denied. She proceeds to hand the teller about 15 different credit cards, Visa’s, Mastercard’s, etc… each one getting denied until finally one gets passed or he finally just gave her the tickets. This whole debacle cost about 10 minutes, and we still had to get candy and popcorn for the kids. Of course we ended up missing the first 5 minutes of the movie do to the monkeyshines we had to deal with. Luckily there were no feral fvcking street apes in our particular movie.

My real problem, besides having to stand in line with a bunch of fvcking jungle bunnies, is that this feral fvcking ni66er, who is on welfare, has 15 different credit cards, and they are apparently all maxed out. What fvcking bank is issuing credit lines to ni66ers on welfare???

My wife and I have 1 credit card, ONE. And there is a $0 balance on it, it is for emergencies only. This fvcking sh!tskin has god knows how much $debt, and will never even attempt to pay it off. I swear one day I am going to snap.

• fangsraiders

“What they don’t get is Pryor is an all world competitor he will not stop until he is what HE SEES himself as an outstanding QB.” <——- LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A DELUSIONAL IDIOT

• Priesttj12

Thanks for the level headed discussion Lefty12 it’s been too long my friend I enjoyed it.
    Nice talking GG, I’m out too!

• http://ggeden.blogspot.com/ GG

Nite all, thanks for the intelligent debate. No matter which side of the fence we sit on.

Except Fangs, you’re a disgrace :p

• Violent Hands

I find these ppl kinda weird, you took the natives land got the ni66ers to work the land and build the country for you and now your mad at them for still being there lol

• dr_robert

Fangsraiders Says:
    November 9th, 2012 at 11:12 pm
    GG Says:
    November 9th, 2012 at 11:08 pm

**************

oh cool, so ur close to death! sweet! enjoy hell.

• dr_robert

Fangsraiders <——- LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A DELUSIONAL IDIOT

• dr_robert

oh fangs, u classic racist fool. u should really get out the Good Book and do some learnin’. God loves us all, including blacks. it’s not too late for u. just ask forgiveness, and u shall be healed.

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNoi_wwzbtQ Zymurge

#793 — you got plenty of assumptions in your assumptions statement too :-) How do you know:

“Meaning he did go thru progressions, look off safeties etc. There is enough video of this on youtube to see actual instances of all this yourself. He wasn’t “just” a spread option QB, (where those nuances are not done, where they just quick read and throw or bolt).” — I didn’t see any of that in the videos I watched, but then I only watched highlights. The plays that worked. If there are examples of him reading through progressions on plays that weren’t working, well … :-) The other fact I have is that in Pryor’s three year career, he ran almost as many times as he completed passes. That’s a big change to ask someone to get away from that if that is what made you successful.

“Pryor is #3, he is being developed as a traditional pocket-passer who can bolt if needed (a la Rodgers/Luck)” – I’ll give you the #3 fact, but the rest is an opinion of what you think they want him to be.

“Stabler sat for 3 years. That’s how they did it in the past.” – And Stabler was Al’s pick to groom and develop. He saw the field with Al still there, presumably asking (if not telling) Madden when it was time to play him.

“Remember Steve Young was a true dual-threat QB too and he was still able to learn the WCO system and the coaches still game-planned his dual-threat ability into live-games.” — Steve Young also was able to pass the Barr exam and become a lawyer.

“If 3 happens, you know Reggie/DA are still doing due diligence, and tho they don’t like Pryor are still giving him an opportunity to compete, another year to prove he can absorb and grow.” — Why would they do and continue to invest time into someone that don’t want and take it away from someone that they do?

—-

In my mind they have him on the team for one of two reasons. They might be keeping his value as an unknown, so that they can some low pick back for him instead of just cutting him. Or they love his athletic capabilities and want to change him to WR or TE. They might think continually telling him that he’s not doing enough as a QB to make #2 is a good way to keep teaching him the NFL game and letting him finally come to grips with his natural position. That way he’ll be more bought in.

• dr_robert

i’ve decided i’m gonna try to be nice from now on. no more calling mistic and beech names. they’re sadsacks and it’s not nice to make fun of them. so i apologize for all the names i called u guys. i’m serious. make fun if u want to. but i’m taking the first step. i just think it’s not constructive to make fun of guys who clearly have some issues.

• dr_robert

pryor is here because the new regime simply had no idea what to think of him. it would have been an unpopular move to cut him immediately, and he clearly is talented enough to get a look at.

his brief appearances in the preseason only served to complicate things. while he didn’t necessarily good, he flashed brilliance.

it’s hard for me to think he fits the profile of what they want, and since palmer is here for awhile, he may be traded in the offseason, especially since DA has shown no desire to use him at all.

of course, they haven’t used tebow in new york, and that would seem to make even more sense, as they are struggling and traded for him.

as for my opinion, i am rooting for him. he has impressive size, speed, arm strength, and work ethic. he really wants to be good. i wouldn’t put it past him.

he’s a bit of an enigma really.

• http://ggeden.blogspot.com/ GG

#827…

More assumptions by you. Your whole finishing statement one big personal assumption.

I saw plenty of Ohio in those years. Just load up the vs videos of Pryor and you WILL see…spread option plays–where pryor makes one quick read locking onto a receiver…him making a read-option and bolting with the ball….even in the spread, some plays where it’s a multi-read play and he has to make multiple reads and/or the line breaks down and he has to run around a bit but looks to make a throw downfield, going thru reads, before delivering an accurate pass…as well as many designed QB keepers….and then a bunch of plays under center running the same WCO houston system knapp has here, where he rollsout from a playaction and has a single read deep that he hits with perfection….and other plays under center where he drops back 3 or 5 steps, and you see him making his progressions, before delivering it to a 2nd or 3rd read, while other plays he makes a couple reads, doesnt risk it and instead bolts downfield.

There’s a variety of things he did. More predominantly spread option, but there was a lot of pro-style elements and he performed them well, capably so a lot of the time. Not everything was successful, but the exposure and capability to run pro-style is there.

–Pryor is being developed as a traditional pocket-passer a la Rodgers who can bolt if need be….not because i say so, but because Pryor and Allen have said so themselves. Just read their interviews.

–Re: Stabler…the point was, like Priest and JFB also said before too, is that the old days of 3 year development of QBs is in the past. These days it’s all about getting them able to play asap. The whole FA thing and NFLPA rookie contracts further tweaked recently. Cowher set the blueprint. Now all of them do it and there’s been a much bigger ratio of rookies being successful starting from year 1.

–Re: Steve Young…again, you missed the point. Young’s academic abilities are not the point. My point was that just because the system is WCO doesn’t mean coaches won’t utilize players for their various abilities. If Pryor gets action, or ends up a starter, it’s not like the coaches will have completely stripped him of his running abilities, but instead they’ll utilize it like WCO did with Young. He will primarily be a pocket-passer, but having that ability the coaches will use it to aggravate DCs.

–Re: training camp…im again saying something you’re missing. Been saying this particular thing a lot tonight. Which is that not you nor I nor JFB nor priestt etc really know YET what RM/DA think of Pryor and his long-term viability in Oakland. Not YET. We’ll get an indication what they think as soon as the season is a wash…then how they proceed from then, the three different things that they could do, will be an indication.

• papertiger418

I think Pryor is along the lines of DHB; very talented but very raw prospect who needs a lot of work but has the character to improve. How much he can improve is unclear, and while I hope he becomes a starting-caliber qb, I believe the odds are against him. If he proves me wrong, I’ll be the happiest fan in the world. I’m just tired of waiting for prospects to develop.

• fangsraiders

GG Says:
    November 9th, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Except Fangs, you’re a disgrace :p ======== WHEN JEW BRAINWASHED RACE-TRAITORS CALL NAMES I TAKE THAT AS A COMPLIMENT.

• Pingback: McFadden, Goodson & Seymour won’t play Sunday » Pro Football Zone