1,847

Coach Allen not making ‘wholesale’ changes; Goethel out for season

Several teams around the league have responded to subpar play this season by making changes among their assistant coaches. Raiders coach Dennis Allen doesn’t see the need to go that route.
Allen said Monday in his weekly news conference that the evaluation process for everyone is ongoing.
“I’m not going to stand up here and say we’re making wholesale changes,” Allen said. “We’re going to look at every aspect of what we do, offensively, defensively and the kicking game, and if we feel changes need to be made, we’ll make those changes.”
Allen said his team’s defensive play of late, in particular, has been disappointing. They get one issue fixed, then another issue surfaces.
On Sunday, it was the pass defense. Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco passed for 341 yards and three touchdowns. A week earlier, the Buccaneers rushed for 278 yards and four touchdowns.
“It wasn’t like (the Ravens) ran the ball down our throats,” defensive tackle Tommy Kelly said. “If a guy is wide open, running down the middle of the field, most times that’s not a physical problem. It just means somebody’s not covering him.”
Several times, Flacco found receivers wide open as a result of blown coverages or players late responding.
Veteran defensive end Andre Carter said it takes time for players to jell in a new scheme. The next step is becoming consistent from play to play, game to game.
“There’s no doubt in our minds that we are a talented team,” Carter said, “but being talented and going out on the field and having a high level of productivity, a high level of execution for 60 minutes, is another thing. That’s the level that we’re trying to be on.”
Allen deemed the performance of his defense against Sunday “unacceptable.” The Raiders defense and special teams allowed 55 points to the Ravens and 97 the past two games.
“I would hope that they would all be on edge because we all should be on edge,” Allen said.
Allen has said that the Raiders are going to have to find a way to win with the players on their 53-man roster. With that said, there is enough talent defensively for the Raiders to succeed. Again, it comes down to consistency.
“We have to play at a high level on every single snap in every single game,” Allen said. “Just like anybody else in the NFL, if you don’t play consistently, you’re going to have the ups and downs like we’ve had. I don’t look at it as a talent issue.”

– The Raiders lost backup linebacker/long-snapper Travis Goethel to a left knee injury, Allen said. Goethel suffered his injury against the Ravens.
Goethel will be placed on season-ending injured-reserve at some point soon. Allen said he intends to take a look at free-agent linebackers in the coming days.
Cornerback Michael Huff (calf), strong safety Tyvon Branch (neck), tight end Brandon Myers (concussion) and free safety Matt Giordano (concussion) also suffered injuries against the Ravens.
Myers and Giordano are undergoing the league-mandated tests for players that suffer a concussion. They can’t return to practice or play in a game until they are cleared by the medical staff.
Allen said he expects Huff to recover from his injury in time to play against the Saints. Branch is undergoing tests to determine the extent of his neck injury.

– Rookie Tony Bergstrom played on offense Sunday for the first time this season. He played a handful of downs on special teams the first eight games.
Bergstrom replaced Willie Smith at right offensive tackle for 17 plays.
“He did OK,” Allen said of Bergstrom, the Raiders highest draft pick this year. “He showed some of his youth, especially playing the tackle position. But there were some things there that I felt like were encouraging about the way that he went out and played.”
Even so, Allen said he “anticipates” veteran Khalif Barnes starting against the Saints on Sunday.
Barnes started the first two games at right offensive tackle before he suffered a groin injury that required surgery. Barnes returned to practice last Wednesday.

– Rookie running back Jeremy Stewart went from the practice squad to the 53-man roster to seeing action in a game in one day after spending the first nine weeks waiting for an opportunity.
He rushed seven times for 22 yards, while second-year back Taiwan Jones carried only two times for 6 yards.

– Linebacker Aaron Curry played 15 snaps in his first game of the season. He missed all of training camp and the first eight regular-season games while recovering from sore knees.
Curry replaced rookie Miles Burris on those 15 plays, as defensive coordinator Jason Tarver sought to give Burris a rest after playing every snap in recent games.
Curry recorded one tackle. He also got nailed twice for personal-foul penalties.

– Carson Palmer tops the AFC with 2,723 yards passing through nine games. He is third overall, trailing the Saints Drew Brees and the Falcons Matt Ryan.
Palmer and Brees square off Sunday. Palmer is on pace for 4,841 yards, which would eclipse Rich Gannon’s franchise record (4,689, 2002).

Steve Corkran

• John David Booty

MiamiRaider78 Says:
    November 14th, 2012 at 6:45 am
    Neilb LOL

If they continue playing the way they did against the Ravens, i’ll wear the jersey like a bandana and wrap it around my eyes.

JDB and Nyc,
    You have good points but changing the head coach would be a big mistake. Give DA and Reggie one more year, with draft picks, salary cap and more of the players that they both want. There are still many players on this roster with loser mentalities, who get paid big bucks and don’t produce.
    —————————————————-
    I really just dont believe that DA is the man for the job. I just dont believe he has what it takes, and maybe Im wrong, but based on everything Ive seen this year, I dont see it. And Im looking, but hes not giving me anything to work with to make me even consider wanting to bring him back next year. But if you see something in him that warrants more time, thats fine. My question to you is, how quick would you change your mind about giving DA more time if you knew that we had the opportunity to hire an upgrade at HC? And that could be any coaching candidate thats out there right now, without an NFL job. Would you still think DA is the best man for this Oakland Raiders football team? And if so, what has DA exhibited to you so far that you feel warrants giving him more time? For the first few games, I thought, hey, he has the penalties down, thats some progress. But thats out the window for me at this point, because I’ll gladly take those penalties in exchange for not getting blown out to such an embarrassing degree. So at this point, I have nothing positive to hold onto as far as DA goes.

• Just Fire Baby

Seriously, how many of our 22 starters would have started over the Ravens starters last week?

Veldheer? Not over Oher
    Palmer? Maybe, but maybe
    D-Moore? Prob their #3 WR
    Branch? LMAO
    Wheeler? Not good enough IMO
    Huff? Possibly

It is probably Desmond Bryant believe it or not, as our only starter that could start for them.

That is ridiculous!!!!

• nycraider

Bcz24 Says:
    November 14th, 2012 at 7:07 am
    When i see the colts whose rookie head coach goes out sick, has an assistant coach step in, playing a rookie qb, and their 6-3 it makes my stomach turn. in the nfl, you can rebuild quickly if you have the right gm. thats a big question to me. Reggie has his excuses for 2012 but none in 2013.
    ***********
    The Colts had the benefit of cap space and a full draft WITH the #1 overall pick. They have a team that is perenially a 10+ win team, if they had even mediocre QB play last year they still win 8 games. Stop trying to compare the Raiders to these other teams. NO TEAM has EVER been in the position we were in this spring. No team has EVER had a new owner, new gm, entirely new coaching staff, while being 40 million over the cap with 5 draft picks all coming at the tail of the 3rd round or later. I believe Reggie and DA deserve 3 years minimum to turn this thing around. Al Davis grossly mismanaged this team for the last THIRTY YEARS! You don’t fix that in 1 offseason…
    —————–
    colts lost payton manning(the biggest reason they won 10+ games a year) one of best qbs all time, had a head coach leave due to illness, started a rookie QB..you always speak out of both sides of your mouth and act like you know more than anyone else. You hammer Hue jackson all the time and he had only 1 year and he had plenty of excuses. you are so inconsistent. You act like you can determine who is eligible to be rewarded excuses and who is not. I am not a hue fan , but at least i am consistent.

• Just Fire Baby

Hue was here in 2010, installing his system, and didn’t change much over the offseason into 2011.

• Just Fire Baby

Colts got to draft 4 guys before we drafted our first player, lol.

• nycraider

Just Fire Baby Says:
    November 14th, 2012 at 7:23 am
    Colts got to draft 4 guys before we drafted our first player, lol.
    ————
    finally something that can truly be blamed as “palmers fault”

• nycraider

btw, before signing carter cork reported that we were 6 mil under the cap. that 2012 excuse is gone. no excuses in 2013

• Marks hair

Good coaches make their players and teams better bad coaches make their players and teams regress…. guess what we have??

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Just Fire Baby Says:
    November 14th, 2012 at 7:12 am
    The only coach I see leaving is a ST coach, because that is not really a “system”.

Knapp will and should return. Ideally with the QB and most of the O-line, although I could see Carson getting dangled out there trade bait wise to a team needing a vet QB (like the Jets).
    ——
    I don’t see the Jets going for Palmer. They are probably going to start fresh and dump Ryan and Sanchez. I imagine they would want to go with a young QB.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Next years draft will truly be a case of drafting the best player available because this team has so many holes to fill.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

I wonder what today’s topics will be in here. Will it be Palmer vs black QBs, racism, the education system, the divinity of Jesus, or something else.

• boss01

Drafting the best defensive player available in the first round is a must. Would like to see a stud DT or MLB.

The offense as currently constructed can still win football games with a defense that keeps teams in the 20′s.

• boss01

I hope Reggie realizes that, I am not to confident in his reasoning so far.

• John David Booty

Nycraider Says:
    November 14th, 2012 at 7:36 am
    ————————————————-
    Any predictions on how Reggie will use the cap space he will have next year?

Will he use it to bargain hunt and replace the whole team with more of “his guys”? Will he try to bring in any big money play makers? Will he use it to sign the entire GB practice squad? Lets start getting some predictions on who Reggie will or should be trying to spend that cap space on.

• MiamiRaider78

John David Booty Says:
    November 14th, 2012 at 7:12 am

—————–

If the upgrade was a coach who is a proven winner and has a Superbowl win under his belt, i’d agree with the change. Bill Cowher, Bill Parcells, Brian Billick or Jon Gruden are the only candidates i’d consider. Remember though, all these coaches had an opportunity and sufficient time to implement their systems, philosiphies and bring in the players they wanted.

History tells us that getting rid of your coach after one year, regardless of what happens on the field, is a mistake. The Raiders are the poster child for this. I think DA coming to a realization, albeit it late, that what we were doing on offense (running game) wasn’t working was a positive. Limiting plays for Mcclain on the field resulted in good defense for a few weeks but wore out the LB’ers. Penalties are down but there are still some boneheaded players on this team. Now he’s talking about not making “wholesale changes” which to me, is a fair warning to all the assistant coaches that you to can be gone if the results on the field aren’t to my liking.

I know I’m contradicting myself with considering hiring any of the coaches I mentioned but they are elite coaches who instantly command respect in the locker room.

• John David Booty

I think at this point, DMAC being traded for picks is as good as a done deal. Whether or not Reggie will do anything meaningful with those picks remains to be seen.

• Just Fire Baby

guess what we have??

*************************

Terrible players and average coaches.

• fingers

1661. ” I wonder what Today’s topic in here will be today”
    I thought the Caveman vs space Aliens was pretty entertaining… Lol

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

If they keep the ZBS, whether it is with Knapp or not, then trade DMac. He might be worth keeping if they go to a power blocking scheme.

• nycraider

We need more than players ,we need playmakers. i truly believe if we somehow pick up a possesion/red zone WR then Dmoore will improve a s well. a possesion WR will greatly improve our 3rd down issues. If we get a legit 10+ sack DE it will improve TK, seymour or whoever is still here in the middle. We need a playmaking safety who can roam the middle and make big hits(while not giving up big plays), that will help our suspect cbs. Of course anyone else at mlb is better than mcclain.

• John David Booty

Boss01 Says:
    November 14th, 2012 at 7:46 am

The offense as currently constructed can still win football games with a defense that keeps teams in the 20’s.
    ————————————-
    I think Reggie might like someone like Jarvis Jones. Would be a nice pick for the Raiders.

• boss01

Reggie needs to take some notes from the Miami Marlins.
    That’s how it’s done. Firesale.

• Plunketthead

Arizona and Fitzgerald is good place for CP.

• MiamiRaider78

boss01 Says:
    November 14th, 2012 at 8:07 am
    Reggie needs to take some notes from the Miami Marlins.
    That’s how it’s done. Firesale.
    _____________

Don’t tell that to the fans down here, they are going nuts and want the owners head. Can’t blame them, since the taxpayers had to foot the bill for the new stadium and that hiddeous homerun animatronic that cost like 4 million by itself. LOL

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Bcz24 Says:
    November 14th, 2012 at 7:07 am
    ***********
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

This team was 2-14. How do you think they got the 1st pick?
    We shouldn’t compare our team to similar teams in the NFL?
    Our team was 8-8 the last 2 seasons without a good QB, but we need more time than the colts who were 2-14 last year and starting a rookie QB this year?

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Sometimes finishing 2-14 is better than 8-8.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Plunketthead Says:
    November 14th, 2012 at 8:09 am

Arizona and Fitzgerald is good place for CP.
    ============

agreed!!!! That dude is for the birds

Im clearly not the only one that sees it this way take a look

Rick Gosselin (Dallas Morning News, 28) — Raiders QB Carson Palmer has thrown an interception in five consecutive games for the fading Raiders.

his reason for dropping the raiders in the ap power poll

is he a racist troll? lol

• bcz24

********
    What the hell are you talking about? There were MAYBE 2 people in here who were more vocal in their support for Hue Jackson than I was. If I hammer Hue jackson at all in here it is to say that this team would be no better off with him at HC than it is without him. Sure we might have a better rushing attack, but the overall lack of discipline would still be there. I rewatched all of Hue’s games last year and a lot of his success was on gambles that went his way. Hue cost himself his job with his postgame meltdown after the Chargers game, not saying I disagreed with anything he said, but he just didn’t need to say it in public.

I’m not ‘make excuses’ for our play at all but if you want to compare us to the Colts I say it isn’t a fair comparison. The had cap space, they had draft picks, the had a core of players that are used to winning and no what it takes to win, and lets face it, they have gotten a little lucky to this point also. I understand Pagano has been sick but its not like Bruce Arians is some guy off the street, I mean this guy has been an NFL assistant since 88, he has a bit of experience.

I don’t know, at the end of the day I think the Colts were in a far better position for success than the Raiders. I predict us being a 6 win team, so I am not surprised by our record. My expectations were tempered back in April. Thats not to say I am ok with getting pasted by the Ravens, it sucks. I have felt sick thinking about that all week. I am just not one to make snap judgements about guys this early. How can we judge Reggie when he hasn’t really even had a chance to make an impact? Sorry if offended you are came off condescending, wasn’t the point of my post, I just get more frustrated by the reactions of some of this blogs posters than I do by the Raiders on Sundays.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Good morning nation and Green Party.

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

“Arizona and Fitzgerald is good place for CP.”

WTF we finally get a decent QB and you want to run him out of town!

Seriously who is going to replace him?

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

I don’t care that the Raiders were 8-8 the last two years. That doesn’t mean jack squat. They didn’t make the playoffs, and they were not a winning team. It was all an illusion anyways. Cable was 6-0 against the AFC West and 2-8 against everyone else. Hue had the worst defense in the league and couldn’t overcome Tim Tebow.

• John David Booty

Just Fire Baby Says:
    November 14th, 2012 at 7:55 am
    guess what we have??

*************************

Terrible players and average coaches.
    —————————————
    I agree, but Im leaning more towards average players and terrible coaches.

• CanuckRaider

#4: Oh man…LMAO…The Raiders are sucking these days but the Beeech Dawg is on a roll…Too funny.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    November 14th, 2012 at 8:25 am
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

8-8 the last 2 seasons with different coaching staffs was an illusion?
    You People….

• boss01

1674.MiamiRaider78 Says:
    November 14th, 2012 at 8:15 am
    boss01 Says:
    November 14th, 2012 at 8:07 am
    Reggie needs to take some notes from the Miami Marlins.
    That’s how it’s done. Firesale.
    _____________

============

I wonder how many empty seats you will see in that brand new stadium next season after the payroll shrunk from 195 mil down to peanuts

• boss01

1680.Silverandblack666 Says:
    November 14th, 2012 at 8:24 am
    “Arizona and Fitzgerald is good place for CP.”

WTF we finally get a decent QB and you want to run him out of town!

Seriously who is going to replace him?

===========

I would sign off for 2 first rounders and a Darnell Dockett maybe, but that ain’t happenin.

• MiamiRaider78

Silverandblack666 Says:
    November 14th, 2012 at 8:24 am
    “Arizona and Fitzgerald is good place for CP.”

WTF we finally get a decent QB and you want to run him out of town!

Seriously who is going to replace him
    ____________

Mike Vick or any of the numerous QB’s riding the wave of the future.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

I’m sick of reading your excuses for this Staff and the new GM.

• Twocents

A pretty decent analysis of the defense by NiceNinjaX over at silverandblackpride.com.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Mike Vick sucks!!!
    Get over it!
    He has more TOs than CP.

I rather start TP over Vick.

• Just Fire Baby

There hasn’t been an 8-8 team that turned around and the made the playoffs the next year, in years.

• bcz24

Mistic thinks ‘negro’ is latin for dead #PalmerFault

• Macho Man Randy Savage

Fellas, DA is scratching his head, Tommy Kelly will never ever take any blame, and Palmer is on route to break Passing Records…

Reggie Mack must be thinking, the QB is working, lets trade him, Kelly should be franchised at the end of the season, and lest bring in Chuky B to fix this mess…

will we give up 150 points in 3 games? the trend says hellllll yeah!

• MiamiRaider78

I was kidding, Raider O.

That green you’re smoking has bath salts in it. =) So aggressive for breakfast! lol

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

You people can’t understand that good GMs and coaches find ways to win?
    Miami won using the wildcat, and Denver won with Tebow.

• bcz24

Raider O Says:
    November 14th, 2012 at 8:32 am
    Mike Vick sucks!!!
    *******
    The goon squad wants him over Palmer right now. Hell they said yesterday that they feel we would be better off today with Garrard under center.

I almost peed I was laughing so hard.

• Golden Haired Hero

Good Morning Raider Nation!!! Isn’t it a beautiful day to be a Raider fan?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

MiamiRaider78 Says:
    November 14th, 2012 at 8:34 am
    I was kidding, Raider O.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I’ll let you know if I start craving human brain. lol
    I know bro. I was talking to the people who are serious about Vick over CP.

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

Are you retarded am I really having to explain this like you are a bunch of 2 year old’s?

Eli Manning threw 18 INT’s last year and won the Super Bowl.

Right now the Raiders are 5th in the league in passing Palmer has the same amount of INT’s as Drew Brees, Andrew Luck, Matt Stafford and the midget in Seattle.

He has less INT’s than:

Cam Newton!
    Tony Romo
    Eli Manning
    Andy Dalton
    Mike Vick
    Phillip Rivers
    Ryan Fitzpatrick
    Mark Sanchez
    Alex Smith
    Jay Cutler
    Matt Cassel

SO YOUR PALMER THROWS TOO MANY INT’S IS A LIE!

EXPOSED!!!!

All you Palmer haters are here by exposed!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Bcz24 Says:
    November 14th, 2012 at 8:37 am
    Raider O Says:
    November 14th, 2012 at 8:32 am
    Mike Vick sucks!!!
    *******

I almost peed I was laughing so hard.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The guy was asking me for proof that he was biased.