Mark Davis ‘embarrassed, disappointed’ in team’s play

Raiders owner Mark Davis consented to a group interview with the media about 30 minutes after his team lost for the third straight time, 38-17 to the New Orleans Saints on Sunday at the Coliseum.
Davis was cordial, candid and and passionate in answering myriad questions about the state of his team, the status of head coach Dennis Allen and general manager Reggie McKenize, his expectations and much more. Here’s the entire transcript:

Q: How do you beat Pittsburgh, play Atlanta tough and then have this happen?
Mark Davis: “The word regression.”

Q: Is this a rebuilding season?
A: “Not as much. I don’t know what the word would be. I know that we didn’t have the talent, at the beginning of the year, to be a Super Bowl team. I thought that we had definitely potential to get maybe in the playoffs and beat our division. Obviously, that hasn’t happened.”

Q: What’s your mood like?
A: “I’m not happy. But nobody in this room is.”

Q: Do you still feel as if your team can turn it around this season?
A: “Take it game by game, but I don’t know. I know they’re going to fight.”

Q: What do you say to the players?
A: “I didn’t say anything to ‘em. Let the coaches talk to em. I talked to Reggie (McKenzie, general manager).”

Q: What were the goals heading into the season?
A: “Finding a direction for the franchise, moving forward and seeing progress week to week would have been a happier time right now. But that’s still possible.”

Q: What kind of a challenge did you face with a first-time owner, rookie head coach, rookie general manager, salary cap issues, lack of draft picks, etc.?
A: “It’s absolutely a challenge.”

Q: Has the challenge been more daunting than you expected?
A: “No, I wouldn’t say that. I wouldn’t say that. Again, it’s just the results of the game. You win or lose. We haven’t been winning, and it hasn’t been close the last three weeks.”

Q: Did you see depth as being an issue going into the season? Salary cap issues hamstring your team?
A: “As I said, coming in I didn’t know that we had a Super Bowl team and everything, but you can’t blame it on the salary cap and all that. You have players and you coach ‘em and you play. You got to be Raiders.”

Q: Is it time to give other quarterbacks a shot other than Carson Palmer?
A: “That’s up to the coaches. That’s not my decision. I have opinions but I’m not going to speak ‘em.”

Q: Why not?
A: “Because that’s not my place. I have plenty of confidence in Carson Palmer.”

Q: The players say that they aren’t giving up on the season? Your thoughts?
A: “Absolutely. Absolutely. I’m just saying right now I’m a little disappointed with the regression. But, like I say, they’ll fight.”

Q: How frustrated are you?
A: “I couldn’t put it on a 1 to 10 (scale). I’m not happy, I’ll put it that way. But why should I be? Why should we be? Why should anyone in this room be? But they’’ll fight and fix it.”

Q: Do you talk to coach Dennis Allen and general manager Reggie McKenzie much during the week?
A: “I talk to Reggie quite a bit, yeah.”

Q: About business?
A: “Everything.”

Q: Do Reggie and Dennis get a pass this year?
A: “Like I say, I’m patient. I’m patient. But I want to see progress. I don’t want to see regression. Nobody does. And that’s why I’m unhappy today. But as far as a pass, I wouldn’t call it a pass. They’ve got contracts; they’re going to be here.”

Q: Did you say you just had surgery?
A: “Yeah, I had back surgery.”

Q: What did they do for your back?
A: “It’s been a two-year process. I had a sciatic nerve problem, a pain in my ass. And I had surgery five months ago, and it didn’t fix it. And, then, so they took pictures again, they found a big cyst-tumor right on the sciatic nerve.”

Q: Why didn’t they find it the first time?
A: “So I’m feeling a lot better.”

A: So it’s all healed?
A: “Well, not totally. January 1 I can start working out. The triplets go away then. I deliver. But again, it’s a sad day today. The last three weeks have been sad, but we’re going to fight. That’s what it is. And we’ll see what happens.”

Q: Are you involved in choosing people to light the torch?
A: “Yes, I am.”

Q: Couple people who your dad had issues with, eh?
A: “Maybe some people thought they were unresolved feelings, but (they are) very close to my mom and myself. And part of the Raider family. And once a Raider, always a Raider. I’ve had trouble with my dad at times. Once or twice. But it’s fantastic. These people are all part of our family, and love ‘em. It’s a good thing.”

Q: Who’s next?
A: “Who you think should be? I’m definitely open to suggestions.”

Q: Encouraged by fact that fans are still here?
A: “Love it. Absolutely love it, but I apologize to them as well. I’m embarrassed for ‘em. Because they live and die as Raiders fans, and I feel for ‘em, I really do. And we’re going to get it right. If it’s for anybody, it’s for them.”

Q: You heard the boos?
A: “I didn’t hear the boos, no. But I can just feel how they feel, because I feel the same way. I’m a fan. And I take responsibility for it, going to get it right.”

Steve Corkran

• Just Fire Baby

The owner and most sane fans realize this team has regressed, but not Chico.

**************************

Don’t make shat up, clear as day the team has regressed.

You are what your record is.

That’s why I say fire Tarver, the D is getting worse and worse, and is effecting the entire spirit of the team.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Replace Burris with Curry? I don’t think so. Curry is one of the dumbest players on the team.

• RAIDERMAN99

I realize there are a few people here that will think it’s premature to fire Titty boy even if the Raids get blown out every single game the rest of the way.

I don’t get it – but it is what it is.

I’m not going to beat THAT dead horse right now.

What I want to know now, is there anyone here that doesn’t think Hoffman should be fired TONIGHT ?

I want you to watch Jocoby’s KO return last week in Baltimore – and then compare it to the KO return at the start of the 2nd half today.

It is MIND BOGGLING how fkng INEPT and PATHETIC our coverage is.

In particular, watch the 3 Saints that seal the lane on today’s return and how the Raiders don’t even come close to busting through the ‘wedge’. No fkng effort or desire whatsoever.

My friends, this is not professional level football.

Almost the SAME EXACT RETURN 2 weeks in a row.

And don’t think the Saints didn’t plan it that way.

Hoffman must be canned immediately, even if Tits has to coach the coverage teams himself.

WHAT A POS STAFF TITTY BOY HAS ASSEMBLED.

ACCOUNTABILITY ? WTF IS THAT ? THERE’S NONE HERE.

• GreatWhiteRaider

DJ Johnny Says:
    November 18th, 2012 at 5:14 pm

nycraider Says:
    November 18th, 2012 at 5:13 pm
    shanahan will light the torch at our thursday night home game against the broncos

Pete Rozelle the next game after that.
    =======================================
    The game after that one….The Mayor Of Irwindale.

• http://Raidah.com Mr Green

Chris in NY Says:
    November 18th, 2012 at 7:11 pm
    6 out of 10 games now we’ve given up 30+ points.

Over the last three, we’re giving up an average of 44 pts. Ridiculous.

lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

You know the Saints coulda put upp 55. Vitt did not not to b1tch slap DA into submission like Harbaugh did.

• backstageatapuppetshow
  • http://Raidah.com Mr Green

DA needs to hold the coaches accountable. Not the players. Players aren’t buying into off and def schemes, nor coach speak. Give the players credit for that.

• Chris in NY

Missed the postgame handshake. Was DA all smiles with his old buddy Vitt.

• Just Fire Baby

**************************

I believe Curry sucks massive wuevos, but Burris is a massive hole in our defense that you can’t keep trotting out there.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

I’ve been calling for Hoffman’s firing since the Charger game.

• MaddenRaiderisadouchebag

Watch the Lakers…you see what happens when you drop some deadbeat Head Coach

• eastoaklandraider

Lets make this coaching thing simple:

Hue Jackson: Offense is his expertise. when Hue came to Oakland we were the worst offensive team in football he proceeded to make us the 6th, and 9th ranked offense.

DA: Defense is his expertise. when he came to oakland we were one of the worst defenses in the league, well under his watch opposing offenses have scored 30+ points already including giving up 97 points in 2 games which hadnt happened here since the 60′s and to top it off his D gave up a rookie rushing record.

Draw your own conclusion.

• morilla

Pretty impressive interview with M. Davis. Taking his first lumps in his fathers shadow. And dishing it out and making it known this is unacceptable. Al might be smiling somewhere.

I’m just a little upset that it’s taken this long for the upper brass to finally address it publicly.

• eastoaklandraider

*30+ points in 10 games.

• Chris in NY

Baltimore’s offense is average at best and these guys hung 55 on us. Unacceptable.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Just Fire Baby Says:
    November 18th, 2012 at 7:13 pm
    The owner and most sane fans realize this team has regressed, but not Chico.

**************************

Don’t make shat up, clear as day the team has regressed.

You are what your record is.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Oh yeah. That’s right buddy. What about our offense? Did it regress?
    LOL
    Stop it dude.

• devilr8er

Gruden with a Raider hat on, can it be???????

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Just think how bad the Patriots would beat us. They scored 59 against the Colts today.

• Just Fire Baby

What about our offense? Did it regress?
    LOL
    Stop it dude.

******************************

It has a smidge points wise.

Hue got 2 years with the offense, I will give Knapp AT LEAST 1.5 years.

Fair is fair.

• eastoaklandraider

CVRaider Says:
    November 18th, 2012 at 7:12 pm
    Raider Riff…. I agree that it is not difficult to see. But i disagree that its mostly players The teams that are good are because of coaching and the QB, PERIOD.No other position changes a game that much except maybe a RB. These guys are in the NFL because they are big, strong, fast and talented. What seperates them is what a coach can do with them. Ever wonder why Parcells was always successful, why Cower always had good teams,, or.why Gruden took a bucs team that aleays underachieved and he won a super bowl in year ONE. Namdi was great, but that didnt help in the wins column. Barry sanders was the greatest RB ever, but wayne fontz was an idiot. On the flip side, Teddy Bruschi was slow, short and not very talented but was coached to be in the right positions. Wes Welker was a nobody, but a good coach used his talents and look at him now.

I could go on and on, but its very simple, good coaches win in this league, good players help but the Raiders cant draft thier.way out of this, or trade thier way out of it either.
    ———————

Dont even bother with Riff all he will do is thumb his nose up at you if you didnt play the game or break it down on NFL rewind where you can get the game film.

• MaddenRaiderisadouchebag

Eastoaklandraider Says:
    November 18th, 2012 at 7:20 pm
    Lets make this coaching thing simple:

DA: Defense is his expertise. when he came to oakland we were one of the worst defenses in the league, well under his watch opposing offenses have scored 30+ points already including giving up 97 points in 2 games which hadnt happened here since the 60’s and to top it off his D gave up a rookie rushing record.

Draw your own conclusion.

=========

Salary cap…Al’s scholarship players…it takes time…

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

You posted a lot of BS defending this team/ staff/ and GM when WE said this team Regressed.
    Stop it!

• eastoaklandraider

**6 out of 10 games apologies.

• Al_is_theraiders

Where are te Krappy lovers? What about the Reggie bootlickers? Quack? Mctroll20?

• eastoaklandraider

MaddenRaiderisadouchebag Says:
    November 18th, 2012 at 7:27 pm
    Eastoaklandraider Says:
    November 18th, 2012 at 7:20 pm
    Lets make this coaching thing simple:

Draw your own conclusion.

=========

Salary cap…Al’s scholarship players…it takes time…
    ————

excuses excuses.

• CVRaider

Harbaugh changed S.F in one season, same players, ALL COACHING
    Gruden took the Bucs who cold never win a playoff game to champs in one season, ALL COACHING
    Peyton took an inept saints tan to Super Bowl champs in just a fewseasons, ALL COACHING
    Jimmy Johnson 1-15 to 2 super bowls, and players admit they should have won 2 more but didnt after he left, ALL COACHING
    Patriots were the joke of the NFL before Parcells got there, went to a super bowl. Pete carrol.sent them backwards, Bellicek shows up, need i say more, ALL COACHING
    Tom Caughlin took a.talented but underachieving team when he got there to TWO S.B. wins. ALL COACHING
    Bill Walsh…… Niners.were.garbage before he got there, ALL COACHING.
    Cower had slash, and pick city odonnel as.QB, was still good for so many years, ALL COACHING
    The exception to the rule is Ray Lewis, but he might as well be a coach cause Billick wasnt.that good.

All these coaches coached hard, preached discipline and would get the very best out of their players. So no, lets no trade Dmac, Palmer or anybody that is good, lets get the right coach.

• Raiders for life

Hue is no longer a Raider.
    He will never be a Raider again.

bich and moan all you want.
    Hue is in the past.
    Oh, Gruden aint coming back either. Get over it.

• MaddenRaiderisadouchebag

Eastoaklandraider Says:
    November 18th, 2012 at 7:30 pm
    MaddenRaiderisadouchebag Says:
    November 18th, 2012 at 7:27 pm
    Eastoaklandraider Says:
    November 18th, 2012 at 7:20 pm
    Lets make this coaching thing simple:

Draw your own conclusion.

=========

Salary cap…Al’s scholarship players…it takes time…
    ————

excuses excuses.

==============

10 years of losing…these teams are awesome…we have no talent…I’m running out of them LOL!

• GreatWhiteRaider

- Today’s game was basically comical. I did an inside voice “oh so that’s how it’s gonna be today?” when Myers let that for sure TD go right threw his talons for an IT.
    - I think the venom being spewed at Mark Davis today is a little misguided. If he just assumed the GM/Head Scout/Defensive Coordinator role his dad had and this was the result…then yes. But I mean, c’mon, he hired a guy that Madden and Wolf recommended (how much more Raider does it have to get than that?), he’s had Marcus Allen and Chucky in to light torches, for a non football guy, what else do you expect?
    - I think Reggie and his coaches get one more season of “those aren’t my guys on the field” before they get poked by a bayonette and told to start making their way to the other end of the plank.
    - I support Reggie, I’m underwhelmed by DA so far. Again, bringing in Knapp to tinker with an offense that didn’t need it is my only bone of contention.
    - this team/organization needs some continuity and stability, with all the losing it gets harder and harder to give the benefit of the doubt, but that’s what we need.

• ChrisinNC

Mark, save your rhetoric. I really hope the fans have gotten message on this garbage team and hit you where it hurts: your wallet.

• UCLA Raiders

This interview of owner by his request is the first public warning to Reggie. I’m willing to bet john Madden told him to do it to keep the fans keep coming in to sell the remaining games of the season. Good luck selling against Browns!
    Mark Davis only talks to RM not DA. Reggie has been warned. He is responsible cor the roster and choosing a winning coach. Most of his free agents have been busts(Brisel, Bartel, Spencer, Tollefson, Pat Lee, …). And his HC has not delivered in preparing those players for battle, period. now Sheet will flow downhill. Next RM roasts DA who kicks his coaches ars and so on.

End result: preparation for 2013 is in full swing. This season is toast as far as playoffs are concerned.

• Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure

:mrgreen:

• Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure

How about that!

• Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure

Got sidetracked with the east coast devastation on chnl 6 and my better half just left and I have no better half left; this totally sucks.

• Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure

:mrgreen: 8)

• Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure

:mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen:

• Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure

:mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: shutup!!!

• Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure

:mrgreen: 8)
    :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8)

• GreatWhiteRaider

- can anyone expand on some of the comments I’ve read where Mark Davis ‘made’ Reggie fire Hue?
    - no matter which side you’re on, the effect of Hue’s departure could have been mitigated by keeping the system in tact by having Al Saunders assume the play calling duties as well.
    - just thinking about it tonight, looking back over this lost decade or so….the only coaches that got the players to compete hard win or lose and actually have teams around the League respect the Raiders; Chucky and Tom Cable.

• qodrn1

I thought DA looked totally shellshocked during his after game interview. I don’t think he has a clue..certainly does not exude confidence…

• qodrn1

It seems that other coaches respect him though. Maybe DA took on too much here.

• Derek

Raider Riff; If you can’t see the many reasons why this patethic coaching staff should be eliminated, it’s clear you have piss poor judgement. You’d make a terrible leader, owner or business professional.

If the performance of this team hasn’t convinced you, maybe logic will. In the NFL each team top to bottom have talent levels that differ by only slight amounts. Most every guy in the NFL has elite ability. It’s the coaches job to identify player strengths and design a program to exploit their talents. Only foolish leaders expect great success utilizing systems/principles contrary to their players abilities. It’s the same as trying to place a square peg into an equally sized round hole.

Coach who’s the second string long snapper ? uuhhh I don’t know. Coach who’s the 3rd string tailback uuhh that guy can’t play, he fumbles to much. Coach who are your kick returners, uuhh I’m not sure this time. Coach why are you utilizing zone blocking when your halfback lead the league in rushing (before injury) while utilizing power blocking, uuhh Knapp said so ! Coach why is your team consistently flat in the 3rd qt, uuhh I never make adjustments. The list goes on !

• mojoraider

I have lived and and will die silver and black. I have seen coaching changes over and over. The one thing I liked about Parcell’s time in Miami, was after a loss someone was cut until everyone got the message. We need accountability and when we start playing as if our lives are on the lines maybe, just maybe we can fit that square peg into the round hole. Cause hey, I love the players on my team, but if we need to lose a little dead weight every week while losing… well its still losing.

• omoran

Please God! MR.Davis and Mr.Reggie you even begin to know ho
    w much we are all Crying with all of this!
    My God My God why have you forgotten us.
    If you can read my Blog, may God BlessYou! WE ARE SICK WAITING
    FOR YOI GUYS -911.
    Do a Complete Overhaul of the Lazy Bumbs and Injure reserves!
    Fire who ever( HEADS WILL ROLL) they will know ROME WILL BE BURNING.
    Get those Coaches and Assist too.
    LOOK -Mr. DAVIS I loved your Fathers team ,your Father is Our Father in
    Raidernation and his Ways are the Way! Please I beg to Read our Blogs
    And Listen to the Media and Expert suggestions.ESPN

• omoran

Maybe is the start of something Positive we all are Waiting so long for even if we have to pay GRUDEN
    Start now The Holidays are coming Please. Every is laughing at us. Remember how all of us Laugh at the Donkeys and the Dischargers.There is the Punishment from God.

• omoran

I have a Strong feeling something Good is approaching, but your Dad is Mad. And people were laughing at his work.
    Now is the Time to Move and see good and Win some for him
    Develope those good player and new Rookies and see what they got. Lets see Pryor play and run, we can lose nothing.
    Look how other teams develope their players and how Media and Tv channels talk about them

• omoran

Look don’t change the Uniform colors, but do redesighn to show
    A New Stripe pattern and show a New Raider Team from the Gm to Head Coach, Assistant coaches and Adm Office people.
    Why Not the Slight Uniform Pattern to counter the Evil Black color.Keep the color but bring, THE ANGEL and ARCHANGEL COLORS to Even things out., and Bring Peace and Harmony to
    The team Spirits, Cleanse and cleaning will help the Wrong Doing of all the hurt people and Raiders ways!
    Use the Rainbow Color( ANGELS COLORS) White in the Center of
    Helmet (2) Light blue(3) light pink (4)light yellow(5) green) (6)red and (7)purple. WHEN THEY DO THIS WILL WIN AGAIN!

• omoran

If the Earth doesn’t finish by Dec 21-2012 and planet
    NIRIBU does not come with the Evangelical War then we should
    Still have a Bad year in 2013 but make thd Playoffs Playoffs,
    PLAYOFFS by 2015 after The Chuckys Curse

• omoran

JERRY tell CORK and others. Pass the word around and multiply
    Suggest this or talk to Reggie and Mr.Davis and Fax them about the Angel colors .See theres alot of people that hate the Raiders too . But when we get going the NFL shin es better.We are the Envy of All .

• raiderdav

Gruden is not coming back. Dennus Allen will be back for another year. If someone isn’t fired by week ends the. You know nothing is going to happen until the offseason, Season is Over was over since Week 1. Lets start evaluating TP let’s see what he can sprightly? Might as well look to the future.