Allen understands criticism; Raiders talented enough to turn things around

Raiders coach Dennis Allen addressed the media for about 10 minutes Monday in his weekly news conference in Alameda. He fielded 18 questions during that time, with the lion’s share of the time spent explaining why the Raiders are 3-7, how he can turn things around and his thoughts on owner Mark Davis’ recent criticism of the team’s play.
No real news surfaced today as a result, other than Allen saying he is hopeful of getting back some of his injured players such as running backs Darren McFadden and Mike Goodson, defensive tackle Richard Seymour and strong safety Tyvon Branch.
Therefore, it’s best that you just read what Allen said and draw your own conclusions. So, here’s the entire trancript:

Q: Thoughts on Mark Davis’ comments that this team has regressed?
A: “Hey, I’m right there with him. I’m frustrated. I’m disappointed. You know, you wake up this morning and your gut hurts. But, at the same time, when a man gets knocked down and man gets up and fights. And that’s exactly what we intend to do. I understand his frustration; I can appreciate that. And let me tell you, there’s nobody that’s going to work any harder to get it corrected than I will.”

Q: Only one game but how much would it help to go on road and play best game and get a win at Cincinnati?
A: “Well, it would be huge .We need to get a win and that’ what happens in the National Football League. When you lose, it hurts. Rips your gut out. But a win turns everything around. A win makes everybody feel a lot better. And that’s what we need to do. We need to come together as a football team and we need to all make a decision that we’re going to do whatever it takes to win football games. And that’s what we’ve got to do.”

Q: Is the talent level on this team 3-7, and if not, why isn’t it?
A: “No, I think we’ve got a better team than that. And I think it all comes down to, and I’ve said it before, and I believe this with all my heart, it comes down to our ability to execute, and our ability to be disciplined and do our job the right way on every single play, and that’s what I think it comes down to and it comes down to a mindset. Our guys deciding that That’s enough. We’re not dealing with that anymore.”

Q: How much of that mindset and execution comes from coaching?
A: “Hey, listen, I think we all have a part in that. If I didn’t feel like coaching was important, I wouldn’t be doing it. I think that’s part of my responsibility, and I take that part very seriously, because I think the mindset is as important as anything else you do.”

Q: Are guys executing things properly in practice and it’s not carrying over to the game, or are there problems during the week?
A: “I think some of them show up during the week and you do everything you can to get those corrected. It’s disappointing when they show up in the game. Things happen a lot faster in the game. You have to be able to execute a lot faster in game-like situations.”

Q: Is there anybody you can call to draw upon and say, “Hey, look, I’ve tried most everything I can think of at this time?” Is there someone you can lean upon? And going back, have you ever had a season where it’s 3-7 like this?
A: “We were 5-11 with the Atlanta Falcons back in 2003. Dan Reeves was the head coach. So I’ve been through this before. It’s not my first rodeo going through this. Obviously it is as a head football coach, but there are people such as Dan Reeves that I can call for advice on how to handle different situations.”

Q: Have you called anybody?
A: “Yes.”

Q: Reeves?
A: “Yes. I talked to him earlier in the year.”

Q: How did Reeves turn it around at 5-11 and can you do the same?
Allen: “Yeah, we can. And we will. Listen, there’s not a magic formula. It really comes down to our mindset and our ability to focus in and do our jobs, not just during the game. It’s everything. It’s how we go about with our meeting process, how we go about with our practice process. Those are the little things that you have to do on a daily basis which get you the results that you’re looking for on game day.”

Q: Lot of talk training camp, things being done differently, guys signing in for meetings and detail and discipline things that were brought in help turn things around. Any slippage in that area at all?
Allen: “No, I don’t believe so. I don’t believe so. And that’s one thing that we’ve got to constantly look to monitor to make sure we’re doing the right things all the time. When you get in these situations, you’ve got two choices. You can splinter and fragment, or you can come together and fight like a 15-round heavyweight fight, and that’s exactly what we plan to do.”

Q: Your emotions personally right now?
Allen: “Like I said earlier, upset, frustrated, disappointed. Feel like we can do better. When you pour your heart out into something, you put all your heart and soul into something and you don’t get the results you’re looking for, it ain’t easy. It ain’t easy. It’s gut-wrenching, and I can assure you nobody feels any worse about the way things have gone than I do. But at the same time, nobody is looking for pity. This is professional football. We’ve got to roll up our sleeves, we’ve got to go to work and we’ve got to get it changed.”

Q: How do you keep your players focused and from mailing it in? How much of that is on you, on the players?
A: “Well, hey, listen, individually it’s on everybody individually. The term is corfing, which is to deflect yourself away from things when things begin to go badly. That’s the thing that you have to fight as much as anything else. We got to internalize it and determine, what can we do as individuals to make it better? And we all got to pull the rope in the same direction.”

Q: How do you balance making changes and staying the course?
A: “Well, I don’t think you change your overall philosophy, your overall values. But, yeah, there’s things within that that you can change. Personnel maybe, could be a situation where you might make some changes. Just the way you call the game, there might be some changes. But, your core values and what you believe in, of being tough, being smart, being disciplined; those things aren’t going to change.”

Q: Are you contemplating any personnel changes?
A: “Well, we’re going to look at everything. I don’t think you go through and say, ‘We’re 3-7 and everything is OK.’ We got to see what we can do to get better.”

Q: Are you going to look at the younger players more from here on out?
A: “That’s obviously a potential and we’ve done that some. Tony Bergstrom got a lot of playing time, or some playing time, the other day, mostly as a tight end. But he’s a guy we’re looking at. Christo Bilukidi got some playing time inside. Miles Burris has played a lot for us this year. Rod Streater and Juron Criner both have played for us this year. We’re going to look at young guys.”

Q: How are things looking on the injury fron moving forward?
A: “Hopefully we’ll get some of those guys back. Listen, everybody deals with injuries. It’s something that you can’t run from. It happens. You can’t use that as an excuse. If we can get our guys back and healthy that will be good for us.”

Q: You inherited a bad situation, do you have enough good players to win right now?
A: “I firmly believe that. When you look at it the other way around, that’s an excuse, that’s a crutch to say you can’t get it done. I don’t believe in that. I believe that we have professional football players and I believe we can win games in the National Football League. That’s what we get paid to do, that’s our job. I’m not going to use anything as a crutch to say that’s the reason why.”

Q: Is McFadden coming back this week?
A: “I’m hopeful. All those guys that didn’t practice last week, they’re all rehabbing extremely hard. We’ll see where they’re at.”

Steve Corkran

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

What does jc playing for the bears have to do with palmer flopping in oakland?

It cant be argued that jc was the far better raider qb, and that is the only thing i will debate about the two.

What Jc does as a bear is inconsequential unless you are a jc fan or bears fan.

• Just Fire Baby

I want to see Kappy throw some fastballs tonight.

He was drafted as a pitcher out of HS, and supposedly was clocking in at 90+mph.

World-class arm. Him, Jake Locker and Joe Flacco probably have the 3 strongest arms in the sport.

Vick a few years ago would be in the mix, but I think he has lost a little off the fastball, as all 30 something QB’s do.

• mcfadden20.

JC will prove to every one why he was holding clip boards tonight

• Just Fire Baby

Hurt in preseason, hurt in the Pitt game, hurt in the Jax game of 2011, IR’d in 2012.

*************************

2010 and 2011, wrong years

• MiamiRaider78

If J.C had no running game, we would have won 5-6 games max.

• eastoaklandraider

Just Win Baby Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 3:24 pm
    eastoaklandraider Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 3:20 pm
    Oline is the biggest need on this team period and the reason being we have gone up against some of the worst run D in the league and still wasnt able to get the run game going. CP3 has benn getting killed every game he wont last much longer behind that pass protection. We must protect our investment(CP3) and get our run game back where it was, everything else comes second.

============

The O line didn’t drop passes in the end zone or allow WR to run uncovered all over the defensive backfield all day. Plus they allowed Reece to gain 100 yds rushing. This crummy defense that has given up over 120 points in the last 3 games is where the biggest problem lies.
    ————–

We have problems everywhere, but as the saying goes if you cant run and stop the run you wont win, and we,ve played all the worst teams when it comes to giving up rush yards and we didnt take advantage, we are not a good running team we need to draft the center from ALA and draft another RT and get our line in tip top shape then move on to our D line. once again as the saying goes games are won/lost in the trenches.

• mcfadden20.

MiamiRaider78 Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 3:30 pm

If J.C had no running game, we would have won 5-6 games max.

maybe like 2 games or none

• JLofty

In 2010, Campbell completed 8 of 21 passes for 83 yards, threw two interceptions and posted a career-low 10.7 rating in the Raiders’ 17-9 loss at Candlestick.

I only care about what Soup did (or didn’t do) last time he was at Candlestick….sucked it.

• JLofty

I’ll co-sign that EOR. I hope the Reg believes the same…

• eastoaklandraider

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 3:27 pm
    What does jc playing for the bears have to do with palmer flopping in oakland?

What Jc does as a bear is inconsequential unless you are a jc fan or bears fan.
    —————–

LOL, already back peddling huh, JC is not a better qb than CP3 if CP3 was on the Bears they would win tonight which I hope they do btw but with JC and his famous check down play I dont kno, Ill be looking to see haw many passes BMarshall catches.

• beach

KK, if he plays like he did the last time in SF against an 0-5 team, you bet we will be giving it to you Soup lovers! He is not good and if he can’t outplay a rookie, he should retire!

• MiamiRaider78

Filed to ESPN: Free-agent WR Plaxico Burress is expected to go to Pittsburgh to meet with and take a physical for the Steelers. Need WR help

There goes what could have been our red zone target.

• beach

• RockyMtnHigh

KoolKell Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Every time I show up, the cross-posting btchs show up. Smh.
    ——————————
    Needy, pathetic, and clingy? party of one, your table is ready.

• DutchRaider77

We still get lit up. This defense stinks out loud.

101.Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 3:27 pm
    What does jc playing for the bears have to do with palmer flopping in oakland?

What Jc does as a bear is inconsequential unless you are a jc fan or bears fan.

_______________________________________________

Actually, you didn’t say JC was not just better, you said that JC was an “elite” QB in the NFL. BTW, I know you group all of us white folk together, but I never said Palmer was elite. Thought he was better than JC in “most” areas and would be able to ride on the back of a team with a good running game.

Personally, I am pulling for JC and the Bears tonight against the Whiners. Comp pick for the Raiders (JC and Bush), Whiner loss and I have a number of FF players on the Bears.

• Al_is_theraiders

has reggie been fired yet?

• eastoaklandraider

A running game is any qbs best friend, name a SB team that didnt have a decent run game, its the only reason Elway won a SB and the only reason Dan Marino never did.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

eastoaklandraider Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 3:27 pm
    What does jc playing for the bears have to do with palmer flopping in oakland?

What Jc does as a bear is inconsequential unless you are a jc fan or bears fan.
    —————–

========

hardly back pedaling, im simply not interested in your make believe scenarios.

Jc won here palmer doesnt, Jc was far better here in my opinion because of this among other things. Endo of story

• mcfadden20.

hardly back pedaling, im simply not interested in your make believe scenarios.

Well keep your theory to yourself then , nobody cares what you have to say , the whole blog believes Palmer is better than JC

• eastoaklandraider

LOL, JC is ya boy and he is probably gonna look bad tonight so now you want to save face, its good folks, but if he by some miracle does have a good game we’ll see what you say then.

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

“Mistic and all other JC supporters, their is no excuse for ya boy tonight, he is on a good team, good run game, good D, good WRs. NO EXCUSES.”

LMAO poor soup

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

The first time JC gets hit, you people will wet your panties. Despite getting blown out yesterday

• mcfadden20.

eastoaklandraider Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 3:53 pm

He might win 3-0 today and we will start seeing him compared to the greatest of all times after that

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

“Mistic, you know absolutely nothing about the QB position if you believe Campbell is better than Palmer. 99 out of 100 people will tell you that!”

He knows this but the poor old goat is to stubborn to admit it!

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Haters gotta hate.

• nycraider

MiamiRaider78 Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 3:37 pm

There goes what could have been our red zone target.
    ———————–
    yep, could have helped us..wouldnt have cost us more than a 1 year deal at a bargain basement price.

• DutchRaider77

122.KoolKell Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 3:55 pm

_________________________________________________

So you agree with Mistic that JC is an elite QB and that he is hands down better than Palmer?

• inonewordraider

have we hired david shaw or jon gruden yet? reggie what the fu#k is a matter with you?

• The Beeech Dawg

KoolKell Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Haters gotta hate.

————-

Old Troll, are you drunk again?

• DT42

DA I don’t understand. You were all smiles when you were getting your a$$ handed to you by your former boss in Denver. Now your frustrated? Not buying it……worse than that this team isn’t buying it.

You inherited an 8-8 team that lost its GM, replaced its starting QB with a guy that had been sitting on his couch watching games for months and lost their starting RB (who was having a career season) to injury.

You took that team and created a dumpster fire.

Consistantly pathetic coaching.

University of Tenn. has an opening, you might want to look into that.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

DutchRaider77 Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 3:57 pm
    122.KoolKell Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 3:55 pm

_________________________________________________

———————
    Did I say that dumbass? Don’t put words into my mouth. I speak for myself.

• MarcusAllen

All I know is that if CP dons leather chaps with that mustache of his he’s got a second career in the movies. Leinart can be his boy wonder.

• Raiderjambo

117. Hate to say it but the Tampa Bay Bucs in 2002 didn’t have a great running game. Michael Pittman was an average running back, likewise Brad Johnston at QB, and we know how their season ended up. Won most games on a dominating defense who kept the games close for their average offense to squeak by, almost like the 2000 Baltimore Ravens with Trent Dilfer at QB, difference is not only did he have a great defense, but he also had Jamal Lewis.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

I hope the Bears get killed tonight.

• Priesttj12

Folks Dennis Allen is not a bad coach, he is green and he is learning the ropes of how to be a HC. The first thing is his coaches are letting him down, the position coaches aren’t producing the desired results. But the bottom line is he is responsible for it all. Young coaches have a hard time especially when they hire their friends, of making their friends do what it takes to win instead of sticking with their own phylosophies.

It’s a shame because I think DA has potential to be a very good HC but he hired his friends and that makes for a difficult situation. He needs to remove himself from the relationship of a friend and approach the situation as if he’s the boss and they are his assistants…………..period

Knapp has let him down as well as Tarver. And the ST’s coach now he has to light a fire under these guys or show them the door.

• mcfadden20.

Whats funny is even M1stic doesn’t really believe JC is better than CP , otherwise he would have flat out called tonights game going to game of JC’s career lol

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I hope the Bears get killed tonight.
    =========================================

So you can suck up to biachi’s teet again? Pathetic.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

MarcusAllen Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:05 pm
    ——
    You see Aaron Rodgers yesterday? He has a serious porn star mustache.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

palmer worshipers are grasping repeatedly, trying to attach some feeling to what jc does as qb of the bears.

Sad, but predictable. Palmer is the raider qb fro or better or worse( mainly worse) and he has been a major down grade next to what Jc did here.

7-13 33 turnovers in 20 games, palmer is miserable

• DutchRaider77

131.KoolKell Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:01 pm
    DutchRaider77 Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 3:57 pm
    122.KoolKell Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 3:55 pm

_________________________________________________

———————
    Did I say that dumbass? Don’t put words into my mouth. I speak for myself.

___________________________________________________

Moron, I asked you a question. Either answer yes or no. I was seeeking your opinion, if it was a statement, it would not have a “?” on the end. Unless you do not have an opinion, or you have a opinion and you don’t want to hurt Mistic’s feelings.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Seymour Bush Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:07 pm
    Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I hope the Bears get killed tonight.
    =========================================

So you can suck up to biachi’s teet again? Pathetic.
    ——
    That doesn’t even make sense. You really are terrible at telling jokes. Put down the mike Seymour. You’ll never make it as a stand up comic.

• The Beeech Dawg

KrappyRat, does the wife get pissed when you show up at her job drunk and carrying on like a mental patient?

You’d think she’d require her chauffeur to be stone cold sober and acting respectful and such

Just some things to think about, old goat

holla

• MarcusAllen

Ha!! Rodgers too!!! I have him in my fantasy league!!! HAHAHAHA!!!

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

*mic

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

I wonder how many pick six’s Campbell throws tonight.

• inonewordraider

bashing palmer is similar to bashing romo or stafford or flacco or matt ryan. the guys aren’t elite, but who are you gna get that’s better? Drew brees, Big ben, rodgers, the mannings, and brady aren’t free agents, and andrew luck or rgIII’s only come around once every 10 years.

geno smith has lost 5 straight, yes part of the “new wave”

barkley has lost 4 games this year with easily the best wr tandem in college football

best available free agent qb is joe flacco, ravens will re-sign him.

matt leinert is a backup, pryor is kaepernick

but you know who else if a free agent? you guessed it, jason campbell!

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Priesttj12 Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:06 pm

==========================================

I agree. Dennis Allen is doing what most good coaches do which is let his guys coach. And they HAVE let him down. Then he and Reggie have to evaluate what they have here. lst on the chopping block: Mike Mitchell. As I have been saying for 2 years on this blog, that guy just is not an NFL caliber player.

• DutchRaider77

__________________________________________________

Funny and Jamal Lewis’s backup, Priest Holmes…before he blew up for the Queefs.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:07 pm

7-13 33 turnovers in 20 games, palmer is miserable
    ——
    You just attached JC’s performance as a Raider to Palmer’s performance. You are such a dumb ass hypocrite.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:07 pm

7-13 33 turnovers in 20 games, palmer is miserable
    =======================================

Carson Palmer was not a “downgrade” to what JC was doing here.