Allen understands criticism; Raiders talented enough to turn things around

Raiders coach Dennis Allen addressed the media for about 10 minutes Monday in his weekly news conference in Alameda. He fielded 18 questions during that time, with the lion’s share of the time spent explaining why the Raiders are 3-7, how he can turn things around and his thoughts on owner Mark Davis’ recent criticism of the team’s play.
No real news surfaced today as a result, other than Allen saying he is hopeful of getting back some of his injured players such as running backs Darren McFadden and Mike Goodson, defensive tackle Richard Seymour and strong safety Tyvon Branch.
Therefore, it’s best that you just read what Allen said and draw your own conclusions. So, here’s the entire trancript:

Q: Thoughts on Mark Davis’ comments that this team has regressed?
A: “Hey, I’m right there with him. I’m frustrated. I’m disappointed. You know, you wake up this morning and your gut hurts. But, at the same time, when a man gets knocked down and man gets up and fights. And that’s exactly what we intend to do. I understand his frustration; I can appreciate that. And let me tell you, there’s nobody that’s going to work any harder to get it corrected than I will.”

Q: Only one game but how much would it help to go on road and play best game and get a win at Cincinnati?
A: “Well, it would be huge .We need to get a win and that’ what happens in the National Football League. When you lose, it hurts. Rips your gut out. But a win turns everything around. A win makes everybody feel a lot better. And that’s what we need to do. We need to come together as a football team and we need to all make a decision that we’re going to do whatever it takes to win football games. And that’s what we’ve got to do.”

Q: Is the talent level on this team 3-7, and if not, why isn’t it?
A: “No, I think we’ve got a better team than that. And I think it all comes down to, and I’ve said it before, and I believe this with all my heart, it comes down to our ability to execute, and our ability to be disciplined and do our job the right way on every single play, and that’s what I think it comes down to and it comes down to a mindset. Our guys deciding that That’s enough. We’re not dealing with that anymore.”

Q: How much of that mindset and execution comes from coaching?
A: “Hey, listen, I think we all have a part in that. If I didn’t feel like coaching was important, I wouldn’t be doing it. I think that’s part of my responsibility, and I take that part very seriously, because I think the mindset is as important as anything else you do.”

Q: Are guys executing things properly in practice and it’s not carrying over to the game, or are there problems during the week?
A: “I think some of them show up during the week and you do everything you can to get those corrected. It’s disappointing when they show up in the game. Things happen a lot faster in the game. You have to be able to execute a lot faster in game-like situations.”

Q: Is there anybody you can call to draw upon and say, “Hey, look, I’ve tried most everything I can think of at this time?” Is there someone you can lean upon? And going back, have you ever had a season where it’s 3-7 like this?
A: “We were 5-11 with the Atlanta Falcons back in 2003. Dan Reeves was the head coach. So I’ve been through this before. It’s not my first rodeo going through this. Obviously it is as a head football coach, but there are people such as Dan Reeves that I can call for advice on how to handle different situations.”

Q: Have you called anybody?
A: “Yes.”

Q: Reeves?
A: “Yes. I talked to him earlier in the year.”

Q: How did Reeves turn it around at 5-11 and can you do the same?
Allen: “Yeah, we can. And we will. Listen, there’s not a magic formula. It really comes down to our mindset and our ability to focus in and do our jobs, not just during the game. It’s everything. It’s how we go about with our meeting process, how we go about with our practice process. Those are the little things that you have to do on a daily basis which get you the results that you’re looking for on game day.”

Q: Lot of talk training camp, things being done differently, guys signing in for meetings and detail and discipline things that were brought in help turn things around. Any slippage in that area at all?
Allen: “No, I don’t believe so. I don’t believe so. And that’s one thing that we’ve got to constantly look to monitor to make sure we’re doing the right things all the time. When you get in these situations, you’ve got two choices. You can splinter and fragment, or you can come together and fight like a 15-round heavyweight fight, and that’s exactly what we plan to do.”

Q: Your emotions personally right now?
Allen: “Like I said earlier, upset, frustrated, disappointed. Feel like we can do better. When you pour your heart out into something, you put all your heart and soul into something and you don’t get the results you’re looking for, it ain’t easy. It ain’t easy. It’s gut-wrenching, and I can assure you nobody feels any worse about the way things have gone than I do. But at the same time, nobody is looking for pity. This is professional football. We’ve got to roll up our sleeves, we’ve got to go to work and we’ve got to get it changed.”

Q: How do you keep your players focused and from mailing it in? How much of that is on you, on the players?
A: “Well, hey, listen, individually it’s on everybody individually. The term is corfing, which is to deflect yourself away from things when things begin to go badly. That’s the thing that you have to fight as much as anything else. We got to internalize it and determine, what can we do as individuals to make it better? And we all got to pull the rope in the same direction.”

Q: How do you balance making changes and staying the course?
A: “Well, I don’t think you change your overall philosophy, your overall values. But, yeah, there’s things within that that you can change. Personnel maybe, could be a situation where you might make some changes. Just the way you call the game, there might be some changes. But, your core values and what you believe in, of being tough, being smart, being disciplined; those things aren’t going to change.”

Q: Are you contemplating any personnel changes?
A: “Well, we’re going to look at everything. I don’t think you go through and say, ‘We’re 3-7 and everything is OK.’ We got to see what we can do to get better.”

Q: Are you going to look at the younger players more from here on out?
A: “That’s obviously a potential and we’ve done that some. Tony Bergstrom got a lot of playing time, or some playing time, the other day, mostly as a tight end. But he’s a guy we’re looking at. Christo Bilukidi got some playing time inside. Miles Burris has played a lot for us this year. Rod Streater and Juron Criner both have played for us this year. We’re going to look at young guys.”

Q: How are things looking on the injury fron moving forward?
A: “Hopefully we’ll get some of those guys back. Listen, everybody deals with injuries. It’s something that you can’t run from. It happens. You can’t use that as an excuse. If we can get our guys back and healthy that will be good for us.”

Q: You inherited a bad situation, do you have enough good players to win right now?
A: “I firmly believe that. When you look at it the other way around, that’s an excuse, that’s a crutch to say you can’t get it done. I don’t believe in that. I believe that we have professional football players and I believe we can win games in the National Football League. That’s what we get paid to do, that’s our job. I’m not going to use anything as a crutch to say that’s the reason why.”

Q: Is McFadden coming back this week?
A: “I’m hopeful. All those guys that didn’t practice last week, they’re all rehabbing extremely hard. We’ll see where they’re at.”

Steve Corkran

• mcfadden20.

Palmer is better than JC , i don’t know why some haters get so butt hurt over that , could it have to do with their skin colors?

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

KoolKell Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:08 pm
    I wonder how many pick six’s Campbell throws tonight.
    ——
    Probably not many since he is too afraid to throw the ball more than 5 yards.

• eastoaklandraider

I could never pull for the 9ers to win even if they played the Broncos and if they beat them it meant the Raiders go to the playoffs, just cant do it it is embedded in my dna.

• inonewordraider

kell, priest and mistic seem to believe JC>CP and they also seem to believe in Reggie. So how come Reggie doesn’t sign JC in the offseason to be the starter here, shouldn’t cost too much?

• Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure

KoolKell Says: Every time I show up, the cross-posting btchs show up. Smh.=================================================

Easy solution. Don’t show up.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:07 pm
    palmer worshipers are grasping repeatedly, trying to attach some feeling to what jc does as qb of the bears.

Sad, but predictable. Palmer is the raider qb fro or better or worse( mainly worse) and he has been a major down grade next to what Jc did here.

7-13 33 turnovers in 20 games, palmer is miserable
    ——
    You just attached JC’s performance as a Raider to Palmer’s performance. You are such a dumb ass hypocrite.
    =========

i compared them as raiders.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

eastoaklandraider Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:12 pm

==================================

Same with me. I hope the Whiners get crushed, the power goes out again and gang members beat hapless Whiner fan sensless and take their crackers and brie.

• mcfadden20.

We know if JC was young or have less than 3 years experience Mistic would have came here and told us to watch the next wave of future QB , and if he JC had lost he would have just said oh he’s just a rookie or sophomore etc etc, can’t make those excuses thats why Mistic hasn’t claimed a victory for JC yet

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

Inonewordraider nice post

• MiamiRaider78

I have a few friends going to the 49ers game tonight and they didn’t like this line about Kaepernick

Let’s see how Gonzo from Turdlock performs…..

HAHAHAHA

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

nonewordraider Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:15 pm

=========================================

Good question. Maybe because 99.99% of football people think Jason Campbell sucks.

• inonewordraider

prediction:

if kaepernick wins mistic will tout kaepernick (even though he didn’t like him out of college), and have plenty of excuses for JC. Don’t think the bears will lose tho, plus i have the bears in a parlay getting 6.5 points

• Priesttj12

Seymour Bush I disagree MM34 is an NFL player. He is being used wrong I watch that kid he loves the game and has ability. But you hav eto KNOW WHAT HE DOES WELL. It’s the same with Reece for this coaching staff to go 7 weeks before exploiting that kind of talent is derolict. That IMO is a firable offense especially the way DMC was playing they just aren’t USING the talent right………….period

Everybody in here hated Rolando they said he had no NFL talent didn’t need to be in the NFL. Well I watched this kid play the last two weeks and I see a outstanding talent who just wasn’t inspired and focused. Yes it was the players fault but the COACH couldn’t get him in gear for whatever reason.

• eastoaklandraider

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:07 pm

7-13 33 turnovers in 20 games, palmer is miserable
    ————-
    whats sad is how your back peddling faster than Deon Sanders in his prime.LOL.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

mcfadden20. Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:11 pm

====

race baiting again?

palmer criticism doesnt equal race hate

This does however

“black qb’s suck they only win with a running game”

your words

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

Why wasn’t missdik and his crew of derelicts in here last night talking up Leftwitch…..because HE SUCKS!!!!!!

• Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says: It cant be argued that jc was the far better raider qb, and that is the only thing i will debate about the two.================================================

What category are you using this time, Miss Tick? Wins, Yds, Yds per pass, Completions, Completions per game, Completion percentage, just so we know how you rate QB’s?

• mcfadden20.

inonewordraider Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:17 pm

prediction:

your right, if JC had less than 3 years experience he would have flat out called a bears victory tonight , so either he would have gloated about it after the game or he would have been like no he’s still young , Palmer have 10 years etc etc

• The Big Banana

No make believe needed. Reggie McKenzie, a well respected talent evaluator, could have kept Soup for far less than Palmer is making. He chose not to. Picks be damned. No GM worth his salt gives up on a player he sees as better and cheaper just because they gave up more to get the other guy, so you can save that argument for someone gullible enough to believe it.

Reggie says Palmer > Soup and is willing to pay twice as much.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

inonewordraider Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:17 pm

prediction:

======

I like kappy, i have tp6 rated higher though. kappy can be a bit erratic and tends to leave the pocket to soon. his mechanics cost him efficient accuracy at times.

• Priesttj12

inonewordraider Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:15 pm
    ********************************************
    Son keep my name out this because you are wrong on all counts. Just speak for yourself please.

• The Beeech Dawg

Yo Brahs, you probably all heard by now how the Beeeech Dawg almost burned his pubes off

Almost a sad tale, my friends.

However, with a little bit of luck I avoided disaster and just now scheduled a brand new pube ‘do with Japanese legend Hawakashiro!

Amazing the Dawg got an appt. on such short notice, guess that’s what separates the Boyz from the Men

• mcfadden20.

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:20 pm

inonewordraider Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:17 pm

prediction:

======

LMAO the guy talks like a NFL scout yet knows nothing about QB position

• inonewordraider

Priesttj12 Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:20 pm
    inonewordraider Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:15 pm
    _______________________________
    wrong on all counts, you said jc is at least as good as cp, have you changed your mind? and are you not a believer in reggie, correct me if i’m wrong

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Priesttj12 Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:18 pm

=============================================

What does he do well? Watching the NO receiver run RIGHT BY HIM with 40 seconds to go in the half of a close game made me want to run up to him and kick him. Fire up the waiver wire. Dude cannot play at this level.

• Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure

I notice you never respond to me Miss Tick. Haven’t I said anything that you saved to quote and accuse me of what you do. How big is that file, now? After months of laying the foundation.

• MarcusAllen

Yo Dennis – Corfing has a couple definitions – might want to read up http://m.urbandictionary.com/#define?term=corfing

• JLofty

@146: SIGN SOUP!!! Time to get a “REAL” QB in here!

Omg, I could just picture the sour/pouty look on Soup’s face if he had Willie “the sieve” Smith holding up the right side. As in “why tf is Von Miller/Ngata/NonameLDE crushing me AGAIN?!?!”
    Priceless.

• DutchRaider77

175.Seymour Bush Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:22 pm
    Priesttj12 Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:18 pm

=============================================

__________________________________________________

Maybe he meant his impact on “special teams.”

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Maybe he meant his impact on “special teams.”
    =========================================

Good point. Once again, with the game on the line and needing to make a statement, the ST’s give up a 75 yard kickoff return to open the half? That impact?

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:22 pm

——————
    You’re too damn dumb to waste time with.

• Priesttj12

Carson Palmer IMO is hands down more talented than JC but he hasn’t demonstrated it on a consistent basis. He needs to take the int’s out of his game to live up to his talent. The jury is out on Reggie because he has a lot to learn………if you wnat to know what I think……ask! Don’t tell me what I think….

• inonewordraider

KoolKell Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:26 pm
    Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:22 pm

——————
    You’re too damn dumb to waste time with
    ______________
    how about you kell

you suppport reggie correct?

you think JC > CP correct?

so why not sign jc to be the starter?

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Same here Priestj # 182

• eastoaklandraider

—————-

C’mon Mistic I know dam well your not saying Kappy is erratic and has bad mechanics but TP6 doesnt, I’m all for tp6 as well but keep it real their pretty much in the same boat as far as that goes.

• mcfadden20.

Carolina held a lead in 5 of their last 6 games before fading in the final seconds, another one of Missticks QB gems

• inonewordraider

Priesttj12 Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:27 pm
    _____________
    listen priest i’m not gna go back and find posts or whatever but i know for a fact you’ve defended mistic on at least one ocassion saying cp hasn’t shown to be an upgrade over JC, as far as reggie supporting i am mistaken then

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Inonewordraider Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:31 pm
    Priesttj12 Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:27 pm
    _____________
    —————-
    So what Btch? Is it a crime?

• Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure

@146: SIGN SOUP!!! Time to get a “REAL” QB in here!
    Priceless.==========================

That would be ‘Palmer’s fault’.

• Priesttj12

Carson Palmer should have at least 6 more TD’s to his total but his rec’s are letting him down. His #’s would be among the best if our rec’s were more experienced. If we had a running game he might even be better than that. He has to carry the offense and I’m not sure he’s quite good enough to do that very few are but he’s close if the rec’s were better.

• The Beeech Dawg

Wanna know the best thing about the blog?

The Beeeeech Dawg

‘Nuff said

• eastoaklandraider

Priesttj12 Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:27 pm
    ————–

CP3 hasnt cosistently been on a good team, so he wont put up consistent good numbers. But when he had those few good teams around him in cincy he was considered elite. and he put up greater numbers than the great payton manning in 1 of those years.

• DutchRaider77

185.eastoaklandraider Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:29 pm
    —————-

__________________________________________________

Yeah, I wish DA would implement some “Wildcat” packages for Prior as Harbaugh has done for Kappy. It would give Prior some time to adjust to game speed and confidence like Kappy seems to have developed. Sorry, but Preseason Scrub time is not the same.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Wow Carson Palmer has been on bad teams his whole life, sniff, sniff.

• Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure

KoolKell Says: You’re too damn dumb to waste time with.=====

I get slammed by the best, don’t I?

• Priesttj12

As far as JC ‘s record and and CP’s record taking in to consideration t/o’s and games won. JC has outproduced Carson. Mistic1 is spot on when he brings up these stats no one can argue those points.

I’m talking about the Talent of the two QB’s which is a very different discussion obviously that goes over your head………..stop telling me what I think just ask.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

eastoaklandraider Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:29 pm

—————-

=========

i didnt say that.

I only said i pryor higher on my board.

For the record though pryors throwing motion looked light years better in the pre season than at any point as a buckeye.

I thought his passing showed major improvement especially in the lion game

• The Big Banana

Priesttj12 Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:33 pm

———

Agree.

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Carson Palmer chokes in the clutch.

• eastoaklandraider

Dont go there with Cam that dude will be a great qb and so will RG3, Cam is just going through his sophmore slump how quickly some forget how bad Eli was his first few years in the league the “bust” term was even starting to get tossed around but the guy got better and Cam will do the same.