Allen understands criticism; Raiders talented enough to turn things around

By Steve Corkran
Monday, November 19th, 2012 at 2:00 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Raiders coach Dennis Allen addressed the media for about 10 minutes Monday in his weekly news conference in Alameda. He fielded 18 questions during that time, with the lion’s share of the time spent explaining why the Raiders are 3-7, how he can turn things around and his thoughts on owner Mark Davis’ recent criticism of the team’s play.
No real news surfaced today as a result, other than Allen saying he is hopeful of getting back some of his injured players such as running backs Darren McFadden and Mike Goodson, defensive tackle Richard Seymour and strong safety Tyvon Branch.
Therefore, it’s best that you just read what Allen said and draw your own conclusions. So, here’s the entire trancript:

Q: Thoughts on Mark Davis’ comments that this team has regressed?
A: “Hey, I’m right there with him. I’m frustrated. I’m disappointed. You know, you wake up this morning and your gut hurts. But, at the same time, when a man gets knocked down and man gets up and fights. And that’s exactly what we intend to do. I understand his frustration; I can appreciate that. And let me tell you, there’s nobody that’s going to work any harder to get it corrected than I will.”

Q: Only one game but how much would it help to go on road and play best game and get a win at Cincinnati?
A: “Well, it would be huge .We need to get a win and that’ what happens in the National Football League. When you lose, it hurts. Rips your gut out. But a win turns everything around. A win makes everybody feel a lot better. And that’s what we need to do. We need to come together as a football team and we need to all make a decision that we’re going to do whatever it takes to win football games. And that’s what we’ve got to do.”

Q: Is the talent level on this team 3-7, and if not, why isn’t it?
A: “No, I think we’ve got a better team than that. And I think it all comes down to, and I’ve said it before, and I believe this with all my heart, it comes down to our ability to execute, and our ability to be disciplined and do our job the right way on every single play, and that’s what I think it comes down to and it comes down to a mindset. Our guys deciding that That’s enough. We’re not dealing with that anymore.”

Q: How much of that mindset and execution comes from coaching?
A: “Hey, listen, I think we all have a part in that. If I didn’t feel like coaching was important, I wouldn’t be doing it. I think that’s part of my responsibility, and I take that part very seriously, because I think the mindset is as important as anything else you do.”

Q: Are guys executing things properly in practice and it’s not carrying over to the game, or are there problems during the week?
A: “I think some of them show up during the week and you do everything you can to get those corrected. It’s disappointing when they show up in the game. Things happen a lot faster in the game. You have to be able to execute a lot faster in game-like situations.”

Q: Is there anybody you can call to draw upon and say, “Hey, look, I’ve tried most everything I can think of at this time?” Is there someone you can lean upon? And going back, have you ever had a season where it’s 3-7 like this?
A: “We were 5-11 with the Atlanta Falcons back in 2003. Dan Reeves was the head coach. So I’ve been through this before. It’s not my first rodeo going through this. Obviously it is as a head football coach, but there are people such as Dan Reeves that I can call for advice on how to handle different situations.”

Q: Have you called anybody?
A: “Yes.”

Q: Reeves?
A: “Yes. I talked to him earlier in the year.”

Q: How did Reeves turn it around at 5-11 and can you do the same?
Allen: “Yeah, we can. And we will. Listen, there’s not a magic formula. It really comes down to our mindset and our ability to focus in and do our jobs, not just during the game. It’s everything. It’s how we go about with our meeting process, how we go about with our practice process. Those are the little things that you have to do on a daily basis which get you the results that you’re looking for on game day.”

Q: Lot of talk training camp, things being done differently, guys signing in for meetings and detail and discipline things that were brought in help turn things around. Any slippage in that area at all?
Allen: “No, I don’t believe so. I don’t believe so. And that’s one thing that we’ve got to constantly look to monitor to make sure we’re doing the right things all the time. When you get in these situations, you’ve got two choices. You can splinter and fragment, or you can come together and fight like a 15-round heavyweight fight, and that’s exactly what we plan to do.”

Q: Your emotions personally right now?
Allen: “Like I said earlier, upset, frustrated, disappointed. Feel like we can do better. When you pour your heart out into something, you put all your heart and soul into something and you don’t get the results you’re looking for, it ain’t easy. It ain’t easy. It’s gut-wrenching, and I can assure you nobody feels any worse about the way things have gone than I do. But at the same time, nobody is looking for pity. This is professional football. We’ve got to roll up our sleeves, we’ve got to go to work and we’ve got to get it changed.”

Q: How do you keep your players focused and from mailing it in? How much of that is on you, on the players?
A: “Well, hey, listen, individually it’s on everybody individually. The term is corfing, which is to deflect yourself away from things when things begin to go badly. That’s the thing that you have to fight as much as anything else. We got to internalize it and determine, what can we do as individuals to make it better? And we all got to pull the rope in the same direction.”

Q: How do you balance making changes and staying the course?
A: “Well, I don’t think you change your overall philosophy, your overall values. But, yeah, there’s things within that that you can change. Personnel maybe, could be a situation where you might make some changes. Just the way you call the game, there might be some changes. But, your core values and what you believe in, of being tough, being smart, being disciplined; those things aren’t going to change.”

Q: Are you contemplating any personnel changes?
A: “Well, we’re going to look at everything. I don’t think you go through and say, ‘We’re 3-7 and everything is OK.’ We got to see what we can do to get better.”

Q: Are you going to look at the younger players more from here on out?
A: “That’s obviously a potential and we’ve done that some. Tony Bergstrom got a lot of playing time, or some playing time, the other day, mostly as a tight end. But he’s a guy we’re looking at. Christo Bilukidi got some playing time inside. Miles Burris has played a lot for us this year. Rod Streater and Juron Criner both have played for us this year. We’re going to look at young guys.”

Q: How are things looking on the injury fron moving forward?
A: “Hopefully we’ll get some of those guys back. Listen, everybody deals with injuries. It’s something that you can’t run from. It happens. You can’t use that as an excuse. If we can get our guys back and healthy that will be good for us.”

Q: You inherited a bad situation, do you have enough good players to win right now?
A: “I firmly believe that. When you look at it the other way around, that’s an excuse, that’s a crutch to say you can’t get it done. I don’t believe in that. I believe that we have professional football players and I believe we can win games in the National Football League. That’s what we get paid to do, that’s our job. I’m not going to use anything as a crutch to say that’s the reason why.”

Q: Is McFadden coming back this week?
A: “I’m hopeful. All those guys that didn’t practice last week, they’re all rehabbing extremely hard. We’ll see where they’re at.”

• Los Raida Locos

Q: Thoughts on Mark Davis’ comments that this team has regressed?

————————–

I wonder if DA knows Mark was on pain meds and really didn’t mean it. What a fckn joke this coaching staff has become.

Quit thinkin the players are responsible and game plan for teams weakness and ways to exploit it. Even if it means sh*t canning the zbs. And get a 1-2 punch with McFadden and Reece.

Build your plan around the players, not some damned failed scheme that is never going to work. ZBS sucks, so does your D. Admit that first, then you’ll be on your way to salvaging some of whats left of the season, or the players may rally around Hue when they see him next.

• Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson Says: Carson Palmer chokes in the clutch.=

Yep. Classic example yesterday when he threw that bone headed int. that he bounced off of Myer’s hands in the end zone. Love your shrewd football analysis, by the way.

• Los Raida Locos

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:39 pm
    Carson Palmer chokes in the clutch.
    —————————————

Carson may be trying to do to much. No one else on the team can, so CP feels the need to press. Team makes to many errors behind him and his position becomes stress calling instead of feeling the flow of the game. the zbs scheme has screwed this team up, offense and defense. Players aren’t buying in to it. Seasons been mailed in.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

They can’t fking score from the 1 yd line.

• Los Raida Locos

Priesttj12 Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:27 pm
    Carson Palmer IMO is hands down more talented than JC but he hasn’t demonstrated it on a consistent basis.
    ——————————-

He needs a better support staff, starting with the coaches.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Do we have an RgIII type talent in pryor? Can he be like cam newton or another promiosing rookie plying good football russel wilson?

I am dying to find out. At the very least we know he is abetter passer than tim tebow, and maybe closer to newton than I gave him credit for.

RGIII is on a level all his own, i have never seen a rookie come in an instantly turn nfl defenes into baylor vs texas southern.

The way he manipulates the defense and is always ahead of the ply is very much like joe montana.

You always expect him to make the right play and the smart call, you always expect him to be accurate.

he also has the clutch gene like montana, or marino and elway. If he has the ball at the end he will beat you.

Football has changed and the wave of the future rides on.

I cant wait until we get ours

pryor this year, or ej manual geno smith next year

• eastoaklandraider

KoolKell Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:35 pm
    Wow Carson Palmer has been on bad teams his whole life, sniff, sniff.
    ————–

So I guess you expect QBs to put up good numbers consistently on bad teams, now thats a WOW.

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Carson is an interception machine.

• Los Raida Locos

KoolKell Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:43 pm
    They can’t fking score from the 1 yd line.
    —————————————–

ZBS. Pre-season, regular season. No imagination or concept design from this staff.

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

“Dr. Hunter S. Thompson Says: Carson Palmer chokes in the clutch.=”

Yeah and you swallow man juice in an alley for meth but we wont hold it against you

• MarcusAllen

Carson Palmer chokes on the crotch.

• Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says: RGIII is on a level all his own,==

You had him rated above Luck, right? Race Alert!! Race Alert!!

• MarcusAllen

SilverandBlack loves Carson.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Execution?!?!?

You are a biotech Titty Monkey. Grow a pair and take responsibility for your BS.
    Who hired his friend?
    Who is a defensive minded coach with a defense that allowed 135 points in 3 games?

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Carson Palmer will never have a better winning percentage with the Raiders that Campbell has.

• Raiders for life

I’m bummed, at 3-7 the season does not look good.
    One week I blame the players.
    The next week I blame the coaches.
    I’ve finally come to realize that the whole franchise has failed big time this year.

At the end of the season we will see if the players are still responding and supporting DA. If not he may have to go. Hard call to make.
    After yesterday, I am fkn done with Knapp. I gave him 9 games, his play calling has gotten worse with each game.
    I’ve counted at least 8 new starters next season. Kind of hard to do but totally possible. Raiders do have some players that would be good to keep for depth.

I could care less if anyone reads this but thanks for letting me vent.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Priest, can you tell us all how good Russell and Vick are again? Remember that time you said Vick was better than Elway. Or how about the time you said Russell would win Super Bowls with the Saints if they pick him up.

• JLofty

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Eff you Titty Monkey! You remind me of Kitten.
    Eff you!!!!

• inonewordraider

Priesttj12 Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:37 pm
    As far as JC ’s record and and CP’s record taking in to consideration t/o’s and games won. JC has outproduced Carson. Mistic1 is spot on when he brings up these stats no one can argue those points.

I’m talking about the Talent of the two QB’s which is a very different discussion obviously that goes over your head………..stop telling me what I think just ask
    _________
    over my head huh, this coming from you? you said jc has outperformed cp but is less talented and you said to just ask but i already did. if jc has outperformed cp then why not sign him next year?

• MarcusAllen

Carson Palmer and interceptions: “one a day” and one more for good measure.

• The Beeech Dawg

KoolKell Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:43 pm

They can’t fking score from the 1 yd line.

———-

That’s the 10th time today you’ve said that, old troll

Admit it, you’re plastered

• Priesttj12

Mistic1, TP6 is in the Cam Newton catagory they are very similar IMO. The way Cam was coached was different than TP. TP’s mechanics were bad causing inconsistency in production and delivery.

All TP needs is reps with the starting unit another offseason in thi system and I gaurantee you we will have a QB contraversy hot and heavy. That kid is a nightmare in cleats and as soon as they give him a decent chance to show them they will know it.

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

“I thought Carson was REALLY bad on kick coverage coming out at halftime. We need a gunner not some mamby pamby quarterback who is going to get blocked on kick off coverage or fall down on the 30yrd line….”

Sloppy tackling playing safety too he should be benched……If he makes one more bad GM or coaching move I will let the blog tards crucify him

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Silverandblack666 Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:45 pm

“Dr. Hunter S. Thompson Says: Carson Palmer chokes in the clutch.=”

——————-
    You’re such a childish petty little Btch. Did he call you any names?

• Priesttj12

I tell you what just watch Kappy tonite for the niners. You’ll see a guy who’s not as good as TP and watch how frightening he is at taht position.

If I didn’t know any better I would think the Niners manipulated this situation tonite so they could see this kid start. I really believe the niners are getting their guy ready while we have ours buried on the BENCH…….stupid coaches!!

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Carson is a CHOKER.

McFadden is a BUST.

DA is NOT READY.

The entire defense is SOFT.

Reggie is a FRAUD.

Mark is a DISGRACE.

• inonewordraider

Priesttj12 Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:52 pm

__________
    tp hasn’t shown anything to garner such praise and cam isn’t exactly setting the world on fire. I hope i’m wrong about tp, but i’m pretty sure i’m not

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says: RGIII is on a level all his own,==

You had him rated above Luck, right? Race Alert!! Race Alert!!
    ======

more pathetic race baiting.

these cats just cant help themselves

• inonewordraider

Priesttj12 Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:56 pm

_______________
    don’t know what games you saw colin or tp play that would make you believe this, i guess their qb skills are over my head

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Priesttj12 Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:56 pm

==========

agreed 100% cant wait til we unsheath tP6

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

“All TP needs is reps with the starting unit another offseason in thi system and I gaurantee you we will have a QB contraversy hot and heavy. ”

Which would explain why he cant beat out crappy Leinart to take over the 2nd string spot…..he might want to try that first before attempting to take over the starting position.

• JLofty

I haven’t watched Pryor NEARLY as much as I’ve watched Kaep, getting to attend games at UNR and watching them on TV quite lot. But Kaep’s got a LOT of talent. Got a huge cannon of an arm. That was when he had skinny guns. Kid’s been in the weight room big TIME last two years.
    Looks like the 9Ball coaches might have worked out his whip delivery. That was always my concern for him at the NFL level. That whip was sometimes slow…

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

“The Beeech Dawg Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:52 pm
    KoolKell Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:43 pm

They can’t fking score from the 1 yd line.

———-

That’s the 10th time today you’ve said that, old troll

Admit it, you’re plastered”

That was funny….good one beech

• Scourge

Evenin’, Raider fans

I see Beeech is in the house droppin’ smooth rhymes!

=======================
    MarcusAllen Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Yo Dennis – Corfing has a couple definitions – might want to read up http://m.urbandictionary.com/#define?term=corfing
    ===============================

Perhaps we should change CORF to KORF: Knapp Orchestrated Raider Foul-!!!

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Bears fans seem confident about Palmer. Apparently they weren’t paying attention the last time he played the 49ers.

• Scourge

*Foul-up!!!

• jesusraiderjim

MiamiRaider78 Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 3:22 pm
    I think I just corfed in my pants.

————————————–

Do not worry about it. Just pull the rope in the right direction, take a look at things, roll up your sleeves, get ready for a heavyweight fight, Blah Blah Blah

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

“Would LOVE to see Pryor in a game. At ANY position. Maybe he can tackle, we could use a safety…”

Would probably be the only way for him to get on the field

• Scourge

I was gonna suggest Carson Organized Raider Foul-up but there’s already an acronym for that: INT.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

So Bree’s has a worse defense than Palmer?

• Raiders for life

Priesttj12 Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 4:56 pm

###################

It could actually be a smart move by the coaches. Look at Tebow, his own team is throwing him under the bus.
    I would hate to see that happen with Pryor.

Hopefully Pryor is being coached up and is just on the back burner until he’s ready. Who really knows? I’ve read about Pryor’s work ethic, I hope he pulls it off.

• The Big Banana

This is not the environment for Pryor to succeed in. Let’s put him in a better situation. These receivers will let him down and we don’t need to rattle the kid’s confidence.

He seems mentally tough but let’s put him in a position to succeed.

• inonewordraider

if colin or tp blow up i’ll be the first to blow up, i’ll be the first to admit i was wrong same way i did when cam blew up his rookie year didn’t see that one coming

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

“So Bree’s has a worse defense than Palmer?”

So you have less brain cells than missdik

Your a half tard NO has a ton of talent all over that team.

• The Big Banana

KoolKell Says:
    November 19th, 2012 at 5:06 pm
    So Bree’s has a worse defense than Palmer?

—//

NOBODY has a worse defense than Palmer. 32nd in points allowed.

• Twocents

I have seen Pryor in college and some third string snaps in pre-season. It is exciting when he runs but I am not convinced that he is a sure thing NFL QB.
    I hope he is but I don’t think endorsements from blog gurus makes it so.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Damn did anyone just hear yahoo jason cole on 95.7 the game??

He crushed Dennis Allen.. said he has been hearing rumblings on him for a while. Dont look good for the Raiders is thats the case. Lane kiffin/ josh mcdaniels jr.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

seth mitchell went down like the palmer worshipers, lets see how deontay wilder does next month

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666