Allen says using QB Pryor has been ‘discussed’

By Steve Corkran
Monday, November 26th, 2012 at 3:17 pm in Oakland Raiders.

In light of 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick taking the NFL by storm the past week, it seems reasonable that the Raiders might consider taking a look at second-year quarterback Terrelle Pryor at some point.
Unquestioned starter Carson Palmer is way down the list of things Raiders coach Dennis Allen has to worry about, even though people are quick to blame Palmer for the team’s 3-8 record.
Yet, Allen said Monday that he and his coaches have “discussed” the possibility of taking a look at Pryor in some capacity. It’s unclear whether that might be at quarterback or in some kind of special package that takes advantage of Pryor’s impressive combination of size, speed and elusiveness.
“He’s working to get better and he’s working to improve,” Allen said of Pryor. “I’ve seen improvement in Terrelle. He’s gotten better as a quarterback. He’s continued to work. I don’t think any of us feel like he’s the finished product, including himself, but he has worked to improve.”
Pryor wasn’t available for comment Monday.
Pryor hasn’t been active for any of Oakland’s first 11 games. He has yet to attempt a pass in a regular-season game since he joined the Raiders before the 2011 season.
He showed glimpses of what he can do at quarterback during some of the Raiders exhibition games, both with his feet and his strong arm.
Palmer turns 33 on Dec. 27, and he is under contract through 2016. He has passed for 3,181 yards and is within reach of Rich Gannon’s single-season record (4,689 in 2002).
Before long, though, the Raiders need to decide whether Pryor is worthy of being Palmer’s successor or if there’s some way to use him other than as the full-time quarterback.

– Allen said he is hopeful of running backs Darren McFadden (ankle) and Mike Goodson (ankle) and defensive tackle Richard Seymour (hamstring) returning to practice this week. All three players missed the past three games.

– Allen and his coaches will continue to look at ways to get things turned around in the face of four straight losses.
That process will continue in earnest Tuesday in advance of the first practice for the upcoming game against the Cleveland Browns.

“We got to look at any options,” Allen said. “Again, we’re all accountable to getting this thing corrected and getting it done right. Players and coaches, we’ve all got to be held accountable. We’ve got a standard that we uphold ourselves to and we haven’t lived up to that standard yet.”
Defensive tackle Tommy Kelly said he is having a hard time comprehending how the Raiders went from 8-8 and one win shy of the AFC West title last season to a team that is floundering.
“It’s been mind-blowing,” Kelly said. “I would have never, in my wildest dreams, thought we would be 3-8 right now.”
When asked the reason why, Kelly didn’t mince words.
“A whole multitude of things,” Kelly said. “Defense, offense, special teams, the whole team, as a whole, has not gotten the job done. We just got to play a little better over the last five weeks.”

– The Raiders pass defense remains a huge issue, with Bengals second-year quarterback Andy Dalton the latest to have his way against the Raiders.
Dalton completed 16 of 30 passes for 210 yards and three touchdowns, without any interceptions.
Opposing quarterbacks combined for 23 touchdowns and a 101.9 passer rating in 11 games against the Raiders this season. The Raiders are last in the league in both categories, and they are near the bottom in average yards allowed per game and completion percentage.

– Rookie linebacker Kaelin Burnett played four snaps on special teams Sunday, one day after he was signed to the 53-man roster from the Raiders practice squad.
Burnett is the 11th Raiders player to make his NFL debut this season: offensive linemen Tony Bergstrom and Alex Parsons, defensive linemen tackle Christo Bilukidi and Jack Crawford, linebackers Miles Burris and Carl Ihenacho, wide receivers Juron Criner and Rod Streater, running back Jeremy Stewart and cornerback Brandian Ross are the others.

• http://Raiders.com BOZ HAMMERHORN

Jus got a hot tip from my inside source. She told me Reggie is going to fire a couple of coaches on Friday. Can’t do it til then because there needs to be the ‘transition’ time so it goes rather smoothly. Wouldn’t tell me who their bringin in yet, but I’ll get it outta her after we’re drunk and fcking like there is no tomorrow. But for this little nugget of info, she wants to ride my willie for about five hours. This b1tch is unsatiable. But hey, I’ll keep updating when I come up for air.

• 504 Raider

If Pryor gets a shot at QB in these last 5 games he needs to play the entire game in order to get a feel for it and play his way through errors. Wildcat plays here and there would be useless for him and the staff for evaluation purposes.

• Raider E

I hope he excels, Priest. You should know that. I know he was a pain in the azz for opposing defenses to get a sack on in the preseason, but that is all we have seen.

• Donkeyhater

No one said TP will never get in, that I saw.
    What was said is if he was ready, he would play when it dictates it.
    Obviously he’s not ready.

• Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure

Only Mr Green could sneak in at #333.

• mcfadden20.

Raider E Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 5:53 pm

McFadden,

There is not even a glimmer of hope regarding this coaching staff.

I think JONGRUDEN2113 has it right when he says Mark realizes his mistake with Reggie and we just might see a clean sweep if we dont show any progression in the last 5 weeks.

How about you?

Sorry a good team never ever goes down 34 – 0 in successive weeks, with playoffs on line, don’t be fooled by last years 8-8 record,

• Los Raida Locos

Raider E Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 5:53 pm
    McFadden,

There is not even a glimmer of hope regarding this coaching staff.

———————————–

One can only hope.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Raider E Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Mistic,

Pryor is the last thing you should want right now. if this kid goes out there and faces the pressure of an NFL defense and falls flat on his face, his time is done in Oaktown, Playa.

I hope the best for the kid, but I woudn’t wish that circumstance on him at this point.
    =======================================

That’s the question I want to know: if you are actually a Pryor fan, why would you want him out there with no running game, no offensive line and a WR corp that really is not very good?

• MaddenRaiderisadouchebag

Mcthompso Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 4:36 pm
    It seems so brilliant for a new GM, who has been around a completely different philosophy for the past 15 years (which won a super bowl two years ago) to come into a mediocre, at best, team and continue to do exactly what has not worked for the last 10 years. (.500 records are fools gold-look at who we beat)

No reason to implement his philosophy–that can happen at the snap of the fingers later, when we magically have a roster full of guys that understand it without practicing it! Keep the one that ALMOST worked for some of the players! “Maybe winning 8 games, and missing the playoffs, will appease the natives! Let’s do that!”

If it doesn’t work, that is OK, the owner can just fire the brand new GM before giving him a chance, and randomly pick another-something will stick eventually!

Geez Louise.

=======

Not on the “fire Reggie” bandwagon yet, but how is Scott Pioli doing in Kansas City with all those years of experiencing SuperBowl Bliss?

• Raider E

McFadden,

I think Mark could careless about last season. Another 3 blowouts in the last 5 weeks and I believe heads will roll.

The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

• http://Raidahs Mr Green

Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 5:55 pm
    Only Mr Green could sneak in at #333.

:mrgreen:

• mcfadden20.

Seymour Bush Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Raider E Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Mistic,

=======================================

—-

Exactly, but M1st1c’s love fest for black qb’s doesn’t let common sense get through so he can be patient

• 504 Raider

351.BOZ HAMMERHORN Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 5:55 pm

————————————————————————————————————–

Speaking of Air, when you and your girl do your thing, don’t go anywhere near sharp objects or fire. We wouldn’t want her to deflate before you get the scoop.

• RaiderReggie

The season is over. Why not play all of the young players to see whether they have any skills?

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Dont give me this it can hurt his confidence. PRYOR is not that fragile.. if anything its gonna make him want to come back harder.

He is all on twtter talking about how its a 16 round fight after each loss starting back in DENVER.. the he is tweeting how he hates LOSING yesterday.

Then he is tweeting “I see you KAP”

• morilla

Seymour Bush Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 5:56 pm
    Raider E Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Mistic,

=======================================

——–

He’s going to get killed. And the Browns D is no slouch. Go ahead, put him in. Run some wildcat. Tebow V2. Hooray.

• http://www.raiders.com Seymour Bush

Oakglen is the best!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIDERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRS. :D

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Maybe they activate Pryor and move him to #2. In case of injury to Palmer. We’re mathematically eliminated. No use looking at Leinart.

• Los Raida Locos

Raider E Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 5:57 pm
    McFadden,

The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

————————————-

Mark and Reggie wanted to purge last years end run, but instead they took it to another level. Go figure…

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Like harbaugh said.. the only way a kid is gonna learn is through the fire.

Cant learn on the sidelines. and Its football. Pryor is gonna take his hits.. but he is gonna give some too.. make some plays

• Oakglen

KoolKell Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 6:01 pm

———————————————-
    Can’t see him moving past Leinart without getting playing time. Time will tell.

• Los Raida Locos

KoolKell Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 6:01 pm

——————————-

Looks like that is going to be the case with all the ‘clues’ that have been swirling around here.

• Oakglen

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRS.

;)

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Jeez, trolls have no lives. I mean REALLY have no lives. Sucks to be them.

• mcfadden20.

Raider E Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 5:57 pm

McFadden,

The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

I really don’t care if heads fall or not , last year i wanted Hue back with better DC but i realized the talent wasn’t there and we beat up on average teams, but could care less which ever way the organization decides to go. I feel the same this year, the talent level isn’t there , i know it looks like the players have given up on coach because of blowouts, but i don’t think that’s the case, one has to look at our results against good teams from the last 9 years, we always get crushed, people want to make too much of the D side and think its because of coaching, but no our team even with breshnahan couldn’t force 1 SD punt with season on line , it’s all talent, if the Raiders want to bring in different coaches, sure i don’t care, i’m not attached to the current coaching staff, but i feel like DA should get a chance with a good offseason, where we can sign some impact players instead of once has beens on cheap contracts and get a chance to draft a player in first round instead of 3rd round, that’s my two cents

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Peymour is posting on his Oakglen account probably unknowingly.

• Plunketthead

Sounds like TP is having mental problems
    Eagles looking like the Raiders

• MiamiRaider78

Oakfoshow,

Not a smart move threatening to kill someone. Not that i’m scared of a 14 year old with the mind capacity of a 9 yrd old redneck but i’d really like to see you get the fck off this blog for being such a moron.

In the words of the Chinese clerk that was shot by Ol’ Dog in Menace 2 Society

“I feel sorry for ya mothah!” lol

• Oakglen

Oakglen Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 6:03 pm
    KoolKell Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 6:01 pm

———————————————-
    Can’t see him moving past Leinart without getting playing time. Time will tell.

______________________________________

Hey becareful posting as Oakglen. Someone might think we’re two different posters. But really, Leinart will be #3 and Pryor#2.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Does Davis still feel the Raiders can turn things around this year?

“Take it game by game,’ he said, “but, uh, I don’t know. I know they’re going to fight.”

Not exactly a vote of confidence from Davis — and you’ve got to love him for expressing real, unfiltered, unedited thoughts. He does not know if the Raiders can turn it around. He has serious doubts. He should because the Raiders cannot turn it around this season.

What were his goals heading into the season?

“I think finding a direction for the franchise,” he said, “and moving forward and seeing progress week to week, but you know that’s still possible.”

Now Davis was arrowing in on Allen. The phrase “finding a direction,” surely implies Allen has not found a direction. Well, he’s found “down” but that’s not an acceptable direction.

Is the challenge of making the Raiders good more daunting than Davis expected?

“No, I wouldn’t say that,” he said. “I wouldn’t say that. I think, again, it’s just the results of the game. You win or lose. We haven’t been winning and it hasn’t been close the last three weeks.”

More implied criticism — actually, not so implied, kind of blunt.

Is the subpar roster, the roster lacking depth, the result of salary cap problems?

“As I said, coming in, I didn’t know that we had a Super Bowl team,” he said. “But you can’t blame it on the salary cap. You have players and you coach them and you play, you’ve got to be Raiders.”

Again, criticism of the coach — “you coach them.”

And now came the big one. Someone mentioned the players say they won’t give up.

“Absolutely. Absolutely,” Davis said. “I’m just saying right now I’m a little disappointed with the regression, but like I say, they’ll fight.”

Incoming rockets. Direct hit. The word “regression” was an exploding bomb. It said the owner thinks the team has regressed. It has. And the coach has presided over the regression.

How frustrated is Davis?

“I couldn’t put it on a one to 10,” he said. “I’m not happy. I’ll put it that way. But why should I be? Why should we be? Why should anyone in this room be? But they’ll fight and fix it.”

Then he pulled his foot off the throttle, just a little. Do Allen and general manager Reggie McKenzie get a pass this year?

“Like I say, I’m patient. I’m patient,” he said patiently. “But I want to see progress. I don’t want to see regression. Nobody does. And that’s why I’m unhappy today. But as far as a pass, I wouldn’t call it a pass. They’ve got contracts, they’re going to be here.”

Call that an important concession. No one can blame Allen or McKenzie for the total disarray of the Raiders. Blame that on Al Davis. It’s too early to blame Allen and McKenzie, but Mark Davis is reminding them of high standards — the correct standards — reminding them someone holds them accountable.

Here is a final note on Allen, a man we’re still getting to know. It’s not his fault he’s so boring after a loss. Listening to him, you want to die. His answer for every problem is that his team works hard. He made this point about 10 times, give or take. Here are a few representative examples:

“The only way I know how to fix things is to go back to work and keep grinding.

“The only thing I know how to do is go back to work.”

I could go on like Allen, but you get the point — the Raiders are a great bunch of guys and they work hard enough to win. An old football coach once said to his players, who complained they worked hard but didn’t get results, “Tell that to someone who gives a (darn).”

For more on the world of sports in general and the Bay Area in particular, go to the Cohn Zohn at cohn.blogs.pressdemocrat.com

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

Ooops
    ____

Oakglen Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Hey becareful posting as Oakglen.

• Oakglen

GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO

RRRRRRRRAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiii————-
    DDDEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

:eek: GGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

“No one cares that the Raiders work hard. Every team works hard. The Raiders need to work well, and that’s on Allen, and Mark Davis is watching.”"

• mcfadden20.

What’s there to freaking turn around ???

• Donkeyhater

What’s the big rush to get TP in?
    You see Kapernick perform, and assume TP can do the same?

Be careful wht you ask for. So many of you have built him up, and if he falls on his face, what say you then?

• Priesttj12

*******************************************************
    At least YOU HOPE so huh?

Pryor is 6’6″ 240 and runs a 4.3 40 with a great arm and is extremely competitive. I think he can handle it…

• Chris in NY

DA and Reggie did a helluva job fixing the pass defense. I can’t believe how useful DA’s background as a defensive coordinator and DBs coach has been. You really can’t blame any of this on them. This team was 16-16 over the last two years. What did you expect? It’s going to take at least 57 years for them to right this ship after inheriting a .500 club. Mark should sign them both to contract extensions right now. These guys finally have us on the right track. The W-L record may not reflect it but the Raiders are now a REAL pro sports organization.

This is basically what Reggie & DA supporters in the fan base and in the media sound like … Completely delusional.

It was kind of nice seeing Hue out there on Sunday, but just sad thinking about what might have been if he were still in Oakland.

• http://Heismantrophy.com Mr. Heisman Lombardi

That game yesterday sucked.

• Oakglen

MistaBrown Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 6:05 pm
    Peymour is posting on his Oakglen account probably unknowingly.

—————————————–I’m not Oakglen. I’m Seymour Bush. Get it right.

• Donkeyhater

Should rename this board Sybil.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Whats the rush? You serious? they want to see what they have in him in a losing season. Why wait?

Can he be on the roster next year. They are gonna find out. Playoffs are done. This team is not going anywhere this season. Play him.

Every other young guy is playing. Streater, Bilkidi, Bergstrom, CRINER, even practice squard JEREMY STEWART is playing.

Why not PRYOR. Stop treating the guy with kid gloves. He he fails then u cut him.

***

predictable, just the Raiders upcoming loss to the Browns on Sunday

• Priesttj12

Look at Cam Newton, Colin Kaepernick are they getting killed? This kid is just as big and faster with a ton of competitiveness to boot. If they give him a good gameplan he’ll show you what he’s capable of.

• 504 Raider

OMG are you guys watching this Eagle/Panthers game. They just showed a stat about the Eagle defense since Todd Bowles took over 5 weeks ago.
    79% completions allowed
    12 TDs 0 ints
    148 opposing QB rating

Makes Tarver look like Buddy Ryan.

Then Newton hits LaFell for a long wide open TD after the stat was shown.

If we played the Eagles the score would 55-52. Or 0-0 after OT.

• Los Raida Locos

Chris in NY Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 6:09 pm

——————————————-

Breathtaking and stunning. Yet, truly pathetic at how they have destroyed a promising end to last season.

I wouldn’t just play Pryor, I’d freaking START him against the Brownies – from his home state of Ohio

Palmer showed us what he’s made of versus Cincy imo

• http://www.raiders.com Seymour Bush

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    :) :D

• beechams gay lover

anyone seen beech dawg? he was the caboose in a train with these el salvadorans. he must be sore and sleeping

I still say Pryor will be a better NFL qb than Cam Newton

make fun of me now, kiss my bum in about 5 years

• mcfadden20.

Priesttj12 Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 6:09 pm

*******************************************************
    At least YOU HOPE so huh?

Pryor is 6′6″ 240 and runs a 4.3 40 with a great arm and is extremely competitive. I think he can handle it…

—-

It’s about confidence, no matter how fast or strong you are but sometimes when you really get your ass kicked some guys don’t want to play anymore, I remember reading up one of the guys from OL who was regarded as a can’t miss pick and etc etc, until he faced Reggie White who just bull rushed through him and he was never the same, you guys know his name, he was considered one of the biggest busts ever?