Grading the Raiders off their game vs. Bengals

Beat writer Jerry McDonald graded the Raiders based on their performance against the Cincinnati Bengals in a 34-10 loss Sunday. Here is his report card:

Pass offense
Carson Palmer (19-for-34, 146 yards, 1 TD, 1 interception) was under 200 yards for the first time in 16 games. The Bengals pass rush kept him from going to his wide receivers with any success, other than one completion to Denarius Moore for a 20-yard touchdown. Downfield passing was not an option.
Grade: D

Run offense
Marcel Reece had 74 yards on 15 carries and Jeremy Stewart had 26 yards on seven attempts. As it was, Oakland had 73 yards rushing in the second half, even though it trailed 24-0. Owen Schmitt got stuffed for a 1-yard loss on fourth-and-1 from the Cincinnati 45 in the first half.
Grade: C

Pass defense
Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton was 16 of 30 for 216 yards, doing most of his damage (13 of 20, 151 yards, 2 TDs) in the first half. The Raiders had no interceptions, and other than the third quarter, were fairly easy to exploit as they concentrated on WR A.J. Green, who still had three catches for 111 yards.
Grade: D

Run defense
BenJarvis Green-Ellis ripped off runs of 48 and 39 yards that set up touchdowns, finishing with 19 carries for 129 yards and a 1-yard score. Cedric Peerman had 61 yards on eight carries with a 31-yard run. Green ran 20 yards on a reverse. Those four carries accounted for 138 yards. The 30 other runs netted 83 yards.
Grade: D

Special teams
Sebastian Janikowski kicked a 55-yard field goal with plenty to spare on his only attempt. Punter Shane Lechler put three punts inside the 20-yard line and had a 42.0 net. There was nothing of consequence in the return game by either side. Grade: C

Coaching
The Raiders finally made some decent halftime adjustments, outscoring Cincinnati 10-0 in the third quarter and forcing the Bengals to four three-and-outs on defense. The first half, however, was a disaster on both sides of the ball. The Raiders were either unprepared for what they saw or not adequately motivated in terms of energy.
Grade: D

Steve Corkran

• John David Booty

Inonewordraider Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 2:23 pm
    Lord, what happened to this guy? He was injured on the Texans and they didn’t bring him back? Could that be the reson for his stellar play? Never overcame his injury?
    ____________
    could be, i have still have hope for shaughnessey the guy looked MUCH better b4 the injury takes some guys a little longer to recover
    ————————————————-
    Shaughnessy looked good when Wauffle was handling the line, just like the rest of the D-Line players. Wauffle moved the line around, changed the gap points on plays, sometimes moved the line in, sometimes out. We get no pressure ever, because we always have our linemen bunched in. I guess when you are expecting your DE’s to get pressure every time when they arent even lined up outside of the Tackles, EVER, than yeah you do need that speed rusher like DA said. Our line shows the same look every time. Then when we do send pressure from DB’s, its always from 5-10 yards out and the QB has already gotten rid of the ball. What do these guys look at when they go over film? What the hell have they been doing all year?

• DJ Johnny

297.RAIDERMAN99 Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 2:25 pm
    I’m pretty sure the people who claimed the UDDER FAILURE has the ‘it’ factor just dropped a letter or two.

There’s definitely the tit factor.

Can’t deny the sh it factor.

That’s ‘it’.

Raiderman.

It took me until last Friday to get the whole “Udder” failure thing. I was gonna correct you on your spelling until the light went on.

Now it makes sense and due props to you for the funny.

• oakfoshow

When you go 3-8,you are going to be fired period.There is no excuse,no explaination.Just out.

• Dakota

289.DutchRaider77 Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 2:19 pm
    286.Dakota Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 2:16 pm
    I do have some good news guys…..

….I am dominating the blog’s FF league.

_______________________________________________________

Not a lot of Raider players on your roster?
    ++++++++

Lol….nope….

• Plunketthead

kokomo Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 2:17 pm
    I was listening to Papa on 95.7. He feels/thinks we haven’t seen any of the major gutting done just yet. The entire roster will be gutted his offseason. His view: we are due to pay DHB – $7.7M, DMAC – close to $6M, Seymour – $7.5M, Kelly – $6.5M, Palmer – $13M, Sea Bass – $3.8M, Huff – $4M, Briesel – $4.35M. Do we pay all these players this much or we restructure a paycut or we cut and get new players? Unreal to see the salaries for such players being so high

***********************************************

That’s why I favor blowing it up,,, some more. Start over and pray DA learns to coach em up, maybe he can hire coach on wheels.

He has to hire much better DC, ST and most likely OC. That should be Reggies most important task

1)hire some veteran coaches
    2) trade back

• Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure

Raider E Says: It’s not about Palmer, Son. It’s his unrelenting babble about legacy games, wave QB’s, and overall hate for whitey….===========================

Miss Tick has never mentioned race (other than to call others racist), ever! Just ask him.

• oakfoshow

Reggie to give his fairwell speach on Friday.Cant wait for him to go home and shoot himself.

• JONGRUDEN2013

The person who canned Willie is no longer around,…nobody hated the old Raiders owner more then the new Raiders owner did.

• DutchRaider77

304.Dakota Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 2:29 pm
    289.DutchRaider77 Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 2:19 pm
    286.Dakota Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 2:16 pm
    I do have some good news guys…..

….I am dominating the blog’s FF league.

_______________________________________________________

Not a lot of Raider players on your roster?
    ++++++++

Lol….nope….

___________________________________________________

Admit it Dakota, after the draft you were pissed you didn’t get McFadden…until. Me, I was lucky to draft him in all three leagues!

• Dakota

296.Plunketthead Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 2:24 pm
    You are only a couple points ahead of me and you stand in the way of the slim hopes of making the playoffs which I deserve.

Chalk up another loss for you

++++++++

Bring it!

• The Beeech Dawg

KrappyRat, only 4 days and counting until Reggie’s monumental press conference

I’m guessing you’ll soil 8-10 loads of Pampers in anticipation, yes?

I can actually see Krappy and Reg being good buddies, both are old, overweight and failing miserably at their careers

Bet the two of them would enjoy kicking rocks together, holla

• Marks hair

Our worthless staff has lost this team… Your fired!

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Dakota Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 2:28 pm
    I keep seeing David Shaw’s name bandied around here as a possible HC candidate if Reggie cans DA. Didn’t David Shaw witness firsthand what the Raiders are like when he was working for the Raiders and watched them fire his Dad, Willie Shaw?

Willie Shaw to the Raiders’ defense from almost last in the NFL to about 5th, and then got fired didn’t he? Do you suppose there might be some bad blood there?
    ———
    Reggie wasn’t here then. Mark was busy picking up KFC for his dad. What bad blood?

• Al_is_theraiders

pray a coach can couch up players…lol new low

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Oakfoshow Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 2:31 pm
    ——
    Dumbest Fans in America

• Plunketthead

I would like to hear from Amy what she thinks of Reggis GM qualities so far. All the management stuff, not the player picking.

Gotta give Reg three years, same with DA.

I think the luckiest ginger in the world will ride out the trip with the Reg and whatever reg says go.

• JONGRUDEN2013

I keep telling you Einsteins but you never listen,..you gotta have players,..the mighty Green Bay Packers D looked like the Raiders last night,..know why?…Clay Mathews and Charles Woodson were on the sidelines. Its ok, Im happy to help.

• Dakota

Yep, I wanted McFadden, but he was picked #2 overall, and I had to settle for A. Rodgers at pick #7 and then Adrian Peterson in Round 2…..

• JONGRUDEN2013

Yo Plunk,…I talked to her the other day,…gave me tragic news,…felt so bad Im back on the yellows,…give a yell if ya need a few.

• The Beeech Dawg

Brahs, stop worrying about our terrible record, lack of draft picks, clueless coach and dumb as a skunk GM

Remeber, it’s 10 … and Then

Meaning give this new regime 10 years to achieve a winning record, then an additional 10 to discover playoff success

It’s really the only formula we’ll ever need

Shout out to LL Cool J, on the real tip

• Marks hair

A good defense should be moving around all the time pre snap the way the saints or colts used to do it on offense.. our d lines up in one of 4 sets and just stands there… Blitzes and zones are completely obvious… its worse than als vanilla d.

• Plunketthead

Don’t think I wont, I am scheming the wire now and hoping your biggest weapon takes another dump.

You are just fortunate that gronk went down.

• DJ Johnny

DA’s ONLY problem is LOSING.

WINNING is only thing anybody cares about at the end of the day.

We can sit here and cite all the reasons we shouldn’t be expected to win etc. etc. but the media, fans and players it seems..will continue to be on him despite any valid excuses or not.

Losing is just bad for everybody and brings out the worst in people and little things like Palmer having to be the one to exhort the team etc. become BIG things.

We win and nobody cares about any of that stuff. When you lose…no matter what the excuses…everything gets magnified.

People don’t like losing…and they want answers. They want apologies, they want someone to tell them it’s all gonna get better….fast.

That’s why Mark’s words were somewhat encouraging in the sense it showed that he gave a crap about our misery. He doesn’t like to see the people who are supporting him and his organization to have incur embarrassment becuz of it.

We’re a disgruntled, fed up fan base right now, and hearing excuses…valid or not…is not what the majority want to hear right now.

• JONGRUDEN2013

Plunk,..she hasnt a thing in the world to do with what Reg and the football guys do,…shes the CEO,…all biz,..biz only,…but if she wanted Reg fired all she would have to do is text it to Mark and it would be done. Amy runs that team, Marks usually loaded or bangin craigslists women.

• Dakota

313.Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 2:33 pm
    Dakota Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 2:28 pm

———

+++++++++++

People hold grudges….I am simply asking the question. Are the fans hoping for a guy who would never give us the time of day…..we sometimes do that in here…..Gruden, Cowher, etc etc.

• Macho Man Randy Savage

this team really sucks! LOL. the game was almost un-watchable, very 2006.

Santa just received Tomy Kelly’s wish card…This team has mailed it in.

Good timing for the Reggie presser. “Now that this disastrous season is over…”

• DJ Johnny

The Beeech Dawg Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Remeber, it’s 10 … and Then

It’s really the only formula we’ll ever need

Words of wisdom.

• Al_is_theraiders

ten and then….mctroll20s motto…

• Plunketthead

Smoking dank 24/7 and popping norcs half the time is kicking my old butt. I may ask the doc to cut me off unless he has something better to offer me

• Plunketthead

Have you managed to succumb for a longtime and then clean up for a longtime as well?

• DutchRaider77

Santa just received Tomy Kelly’s wish card…This team has mailed it in.

_______________________________________________________

Think when Kelly got ejected he was thinking…what would Seymour do…

• JONGRUDEN2013

I dont know what you mean by any of that,…but I have some,..they go great with a shot of Crown Royal, that I know.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

JONGRUDEN2013 Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 2:46 pm

————————-
    Looking forward to hearing about a Robert Klien Johnson overdose, arrest, or fatal accident. ;-)

• DJ Johnny

We’re fed up as a fanbase.

Cowher never had to give the fans the time of day becuz he was always WINNING for the most part.

DA isn’t giving us any apologies or anything like that, or telling us we’re gonna see a different team out there next time.

All he says is “we need to do this”, or “we need to do that”. “We’ve got to get better” he says. Well no s.chytt. How is he gonna do that? “better execution”.

Really? That’s it?

It’s been three horrifying weeks of historical beatdowns and YOU can’t even get these guys to play ONE RESPECTABLE GAME?

• JONGRUDEN2013

Holla Plunk if ya need a few,..A lot,..Sunday,..will be with Brien.

• oakfoshow

“I’s wantededed mys owns guy SHEEEEEEET”. Driiiiiip

• Plunketthead

I suspect crown,and or norcs and cough syrup and or Adderall are abused in the pros by 30% of the players.

I heard that hypocrite cowturd asking about Adderall, what does it do? what is it, Does it help?

It SPEED you dummy and you know that

• RAIDERMAN99

I look at DA and I see someone missing a Y chromosome.

I’m completely serious when I say he looks transgender.

It’s not just the pert little titties, it’s the facial structure and that scrawny physique.

I’m truly amazed that this scarecrow actually played college ball.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

DJ Johnny Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 2:49 pm
    We’re fed up as a fanbase.

Really? That’s it?

—————-
    We don’t know what the dynamics are between Reggie & Coaching staff right now. Reggie is speaking Friday to the media.

I gotta imagine DA is on the hotseat. At least Knapp and O-line coach.

• The Beeech Dawg

K-Rat, any of your clients at Kane know about your blog obsession?

Or any of your coworkers ever wonder why you stopped coming into the office?

Just wonderin’, old pal. Hate to see you make a laughingstock out of yourself over and over, word

Guess that’s why they call it the blues, huh?

• JONGRUDEN2013

Want a press pass for friday old kell?…I can get one from her,…you can ask the tough questions. lol

• Al_is_theraiders

4 beatdowns….

• DJ Johnny

…I don’t mean to say I expect an apology from DA for this mess. We all know coaches don’t ordinarily do that anyway, but as a fan i’d like SOMETHING….ANYTHING to give us some freaking hope.

Coaches are ordinarily cocky and “above” acknowledging the pesky, greedy fanbase; even if all the fanbase wants is a team that can be proud to support, but this has become such a cluster..(you know what) that it’s getting downright scary bad.

Don’t apologize to me…just show that you can win a football game every now and then.

Too much to ask?

• oakfoshow

Boy I’d like to be at that press con. on Friday. The rateings would sky rocket as I put my boot in the eye of the oranga.

• javier

334.DJ Johnny Says:
    November 26th, 2012 at 2:49 pm
    We’re fed up as a fanbase.

Really? That’s it?

*****************************************************

Classic! I thought the same way a few weeks ago. He saids the same thing week after week in replies to answers. Cork’s got to come back with “how was the execution this week?” or “Did the players excute what you asked them to excute this week?”

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Too funny

hu jack goes 8-8 while losing team owner and legend al davis, losing his starting qb and team leader and captain and losing dmac while forced fed chuck b, and gets canned to the joy of many so called impostor fans

yet allen is 3-8 and will hard pressed to earn another victory, the team has no discernible identity other than losing, and his defense is the all time worst in raider history

yet fools like mactroll 20 want him to stay?!?!/

laughable,

this is a bottom line biz, win or your out

some peole just dont know football

• JONGRUDEN2013

DJ,…maybe you and some others should just stay away until things are going well,…if you cant take it just dont follow it,..Im looking forward to sunday,..Im grillin wings and brien is bringin Remy,…3-8 or 8-3,..dont matter.

• Al_is_theraiders

cork and jerry have no huevos…they only ask if the grass is green or if the sky is blue….

• oakfoshow

Time for the child molester raiderduck to come on here and say be patient and DA is the right man for the job.

• The Beeech Dawg

Brahs, I’ll be hanging tough in the Lexus Luxury Box tomorrow night for Lake Show action

Should be a dope one, the Pacers like to push the pace, gots to represent mo D

Speaking of uptempto, K-Rat, you probably shouldn’t watch this one, might give you one of those Fred Sanford-style heart attacks

Also got a fine hizzy meeting up with me in the box, should be good for at least one dope hand jiggity

Better cut a bigger hole in my BVDs, if you know what I mean (I mean so that my large weiner-dawg can easily escape)

WHUT WHUT