Palmer nursing sore thumb, McFadden ready to give it a go

Quarterback Carson Palmer was limited in practice today as a result of sore right thumb. This came as a bit of a surprise, given Palmer practiced full tilt the day before.
Offensive coordinator Greg Knapp said Palmer hurt his thumb against the Bengals last Sunday. Even so, he is “100 percent confident” that Palmer will be ready to play this Sunday against the Browns.
Coach Dennis Allen didn’t sound as certain.
“He took all his reps (Wednesday),” Allen said. “Today, his thumb was a little sore. We limited his reps. He’s another one we’ll have to see as we go through the remainder of the week where he’s at.”
If Palmer can’t play or if he gets injured in the game, it will be Matt Leinart who takes over and not second-year player Terrelle Pryor, who is expected to be on the active roster for the first time in 12 games this season.
Leinart said he is eager to make his Raiders debut and play for the first time since he suffered a broken left collarbone. He received all the reps with the first-team offense Thursday.
“I’m super competitive and want to get on the field any way I can,” Leinart said. “I just love the game. So, with that being said, I just got to keep preparing, just keep studying like I have been because I’m still one play away from being in there. But, yeah, everyone wants to play, everyone wants to get on the field. That’s all I can really do is just control the way I work and prepare.”
Leinart is signed through the end of this season. He sounded like a guy that wouldn’t mind coming back to the Raiders.
“It’s awesome because there’s so much tradition here, there’s so many great players that have played here,” Leinart said. “Growing up, I was a Raiders fan, so it was silver and black, my family grew up being Raider fans. … It’s been an honor to play for the Raiders. I don’t know what’s going to happen next year but I love playing for this team.”
Leinart said fans need to be patient with what the Raiders are going through. He likes what he sees in Allen and general manger Reggie McKenzie and feels as if better times are coming.
“It’s a building process, step by step,” Leinart said. “I really think that it’s going to be a special place to be. When? You never know. You just keep building and building. But he’s got the right message for us, coach Allen. Guys have bought in, guys are working hard, guys are playing hard. We’re not getting the results on Sunday, but it’s a process.”

– Running backs Darren McFadden and Mike Goodson were limited in practice today for the second straight day.
Given they are returning from high-ankle sprains that forced them to miss the past three games, Knapp said he expects regular fullback Marcel Reece to be used primarily as a halfback Sunday against the Browns.
Knapp said it’s likely that McFadden and Goodson will need more time to get back into football shape. Therefore, if they play, they will be eased back in to the mix.
“There’s still a little work I have to do,” McFadden said. “But for the most part, I’m getting back to being me.”
McFadden said he isn’t sure what to expect once he gets back on the field.
“The only thing I can do is go out there and play football,” McFadden said. “I don’t know how it’s going to be. I’m just going to go out there and do what I do every down and play ball.”

– Raiders middle linebacker Rolando McClain and Browns rookie running back Trent Richardson were teammates at Alabama for one season.
Richardson said he is looking forward to seeing McClain again. Well, that’s not apt to happen now in light of McClain being excused from practice Wednesday and told not to show up for practice Thursday by coach Dennis Allen.
Therefore, the primary task Sunday of trying to slow down Richardson in the run game falls to McClain’s replacement, Omar Gaither. Richardson has rushed for 755 yards and six touchdowns in 11 games for the Browns.
Richardson said he grew up idolizing Raiders running back Darren McFadden and later idolized McClain after watching him play at Alabama.
“From what I see and from what I’ve been told, the Raiders have a good team, especially Rolando McClain,” Richardson said in a conference call with Bay Area media. “Obviously, I look up to him a lot. He was a captain for me at Alabama when I was a freshman. He was one of my idols I looked up to as a leader on the team.”
Richardson added that McClain has had a “good impact” in his three NFL seasons. It’s worth noting that coach Allen replaced McClain in the nickel package in favor of rookie Miles Burris earlier this season.
“A lot of people sleep on Rolando because I don’t think they give him (as) much media as Oakland should,” Richardson said. “At Alabama, he got a lot of media and stuff. He has had a good impact. Will it be more? Yes, it will be because that’s Rolando.
“I know how Rolando trains and how Rolando prepares for the games. But how I see it, it’s not all about Rolando. He has to get a lot more help. He has to get a lot more help from the defensive (standpoint) for him to be a good, successful player, and for the whole team to stand up.”
If so, it likely won’t be for the Raiders.

– When the Browns lost to the Raiders at the Coliseum last season it kicked off a losing skid away from Browns Stadium that stands at 12 games and counting. The Browns are 0-5 on the road so far this season.
When asked for a common theme in those losses, Browns coach Pat Shurmur said:
“Yeah, we’ve slept the night before in a hotel.”
He then added:
“I don’t know. The theme for me as this year has gone on is, we haven’t really been able to finish a game. Each game is a different story. We were behind in some and came back and went ahead and then lost. We were ahead and let them come back.
“The big thing for us is prepare yourself for the road venue whatever it is, crowd noise or what not, and then go play the game. If you overthink that … We lost a few games at home, too. If you overthink that, then now you start to build in you play differently if you play at 1 o’clock then 4 o’clock. That’s just not the way I want to do it.”
The Raiders aren’t much better. They are 1-5 on the road this season and they have lost their past nine games played in the Eastern Time Zone.

– Former Cal offensive lineman Mitchell Schwartz has started all 11 games at offensive tackle for the Browns. He was their second-round pick in the 2012 NFL draft.
“He’s done a nice job for us,” Shurmur said. “He’s kind of established himself as a guy, he doesn’t say much but he goes out and he battles. Even our older players will tell you, he’s one of the most studious and the smartest of our guys up front. He’s making good progress. If he stays on track here, he has a chance to be a good player in this league for a long time.”

– McFadden went down with a high-ankle sprain after 170 touches in eight games this season. Richardson is still going strong after 250 rushes and receptions through 11 games.
He said he hasn’t hit the so-called wall that typically undoes many rookies accustomed to playing 12 or 13 games in college.
Richardson said he can handle whatever workload the Browns throw his way.
“Oh, yeah, I’m comfortable with it,” Richardson said. “That’s what they brought me here for, why they traded up for me. That’s what I train hard for. That’s one thing I do. I train hard, so I can get prepared every week for 22 carries or more. Whatever they have in store for me, I’m here for it.”

– The Browns have been in almost every game this season. Like the Raiders, they are struggling to find a way to win the close games.
Richardson came from an Alabama program that won most, if not all, of its game on an annual basis. He said he knows the key to winning games.
“Oh, yeah, you got to start fast, man, you got to finish strong,” Richardson said. “That’s something that coach (Nick) Saban always stressed, finish strong. Being in more condition, being more disciplined. That goes along with it. You got to man up and be more disciplined than the other team and make sure you do everything you can to make the play.”
So, there you have it. The cat is out of the bag.

– The Raiders-Browns game failed to sell enough tickets — at least 85 percent — to avoid a blackout locally. That snapped the string of consecutive games televised locally at 13, dating to the start of the 2011 season.
Allen said it’s incumbent upon the Raiders to play better, win more games and give the fans reason to attend games.
“I’m disappointed in that,” Allen said, “but the only way we can change that is to go out and try to get a win against Cleveland and then hopefully we won’t have to worry about that at any time in the future.”

Steve Corkran

• mcfadden20.

Riff got a point, if players want to evoke great they can become great in any freakin environment, if they are just looking for money or give up on their respective teams when thing aren’t going their way, then they should be suspended , waived

• dr_robert

Priesttj12 Says:
    November 29th, 2012 at 10:07 pm
    Tim Brown couldn’t run the route tree had a ton of talent but they made him a true WR I’ve known him since he was a rookie. I also met Jerry Rice as a rookie been to several practices with the Niners and Raiders watched Jerry become great.

I know of which I speak I was there…….period

*************

oh, dude, ur killing it now. tim brown won the f@king heisman for a reason! i watched him play every game of his college and pro career. he had great physical ability and great work ethic, combined with great intelligence. it took a couple years for him to emerge, like it does for most receivers, but he applied himself to what was being taught and his tremendous ability blossomed. that’s what they refer to as development. coaches don’t “develop” players like it’s something u just do. the player has to have ability and willingness to apply themselves. and sometimes they lack in both, which is mccalin’s situation.

Be***^^= evoke

• dr_robert

Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure Says:
    November 29th, 2012 at 10:08 pm
    Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure Says:
    November 29th, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Another legacy game? First one for a 3-7 team. Now one for a 3-8 team? We got any more legacy games coming up? In the words of Inigo Montoya “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”
    ***********

LOL! i didn’t see ur post. that’s funny. i did use that quote a week or so ago, but it really seems to apply to mistic. he does remind me of the black version of that dude. thinks he’s really smart but just mangles it.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

I agree players aren’t robots, they make mistakes. That’s what Coaches are for. Plus game planning, and this staff hasn’t done either.

Ok, we disagree.

• dr_robert

KoolKell Says:
    November 29th, 2012 at 10:21 pm
    Its 90% execution, 10% coaching. Ask anyone that has played, they will tell you the same thing.
    ———————
    Smh. Coaching has nothing to do with execution? What is Coaching in your opinion?

*************
    for crying out loud. do u guys have a f@cking dictionary?

coaches teach u schemes and whatnot. then it’s up to the PLAYER to go do it. that’s called execution. as in, executing a plan. my gosh.

• mcfadden20.

True , all you can do is surround your self with players who want to be the best and would take nothing less, you guys.. It matters what kinda players you surround yourself with

• The Mack

498 get em raider O, let em know, any jack @$$ can draw up plays but it takes a Real coach to teach those plays , coach players up, be able to detect what players strengths are and build on that, and motivate players being a leader of men. Any body can win with a group of allstars…

• mcfadden20.

You know sometimes the talent is not there , our D is the worst in the league , and you guys want to stop top 10 passing Os? Lol

• Priesttj12

***************************************
    Son you state the obvious very well…Tim Brown didn’t get drafted #6 overall because he didn’t have talent. We drafted him because of it. Player development helps players get better at what they do and become great if possible. They have to be taught the fundamentals at this level to compete at this level it’s as much mental as it is phsycial. At the collegiate level you can get away with physical prowess but if you want to be great at the NFL level it takes a helluva lot more because everyone is physically gifted. Coaches assist players where that is concerned they rarely come with it it has to be taught.

• mcfadden20.

And put up 30+ points to overcome our deficiencies on the D side with these wide receivers? Lol

• The Mack

Good coaches make players better, Awful coaches make excuses …

• The Mack

Mc20 we can win with these recievers… Wr is the least of this teams troubles. Look at the coach.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

————————–
    You ever been to a NFL practice? I have. Calm down.

• dr_robert

don’t u hear the coaches? they keep telling u. coaches teach the scheme. players take that information and go EXECUTE the scheme. these players are having difficulties EXECUTING the scheme. they have a hard time doing what they’re supposed to do. a bad combination of poor skills (as compared to other players) and some bad attitudes will do that.

now, knapp’s playcalling and tarver’s lack of creativity may have something to do with it.

but mcclain’s play has always been subpar. it’s on him.

and remember. EVERY player in the nfl has skills. it’s a fine line between good and mediocre, or being mediocre and bad. our guys just, on the whole, suck.

the proof is in the pudding. don’t give me bullsh!t about “the raiders don’t develop players”. that’s just an excuse that conveniently requires no evidence, other than saying “it’s not the players’ fault they suck, it’s the coaches”.

just like every punk kid who blames everyone else.

Priesttj12 Says:
    November 29th, 2012 at 10:38 pm
    ***************************************

I think your confused, what he meant to say was T Brown was selected high and played like a player who was drafted in top 10 with constant coaching changes, I mean coaching didn’t hinder his progress, what does coaching have to do with J Russell, McClain and DHb ? If other guys do it with 10 different coaches , why can’t these guys do it? It’s simple , they just don’t belong in the league

• Los Raida Locos

Coaching at the NFL level is about scheming and gameplanning.

—————————–

And our coaches are good at that?

Coaching is also about utilizing talent, not force feeding them a pipe dream that sets them up to fail.

• Priesttj12

I used to watch David Shaw’s father Willie Shaw after games explaining to the media about young players catching up to the pro game he was soo articulate with his explanations it made so much sense it helped me understand what to look for in players.

That’s why it takes most players 2-4 years before they really arrive. because they ahven’t really developed or learned what it takes to succeed at this level. It’s called player development it’s known throughout the NFL the best org’s are the best because they are greta at player development.

The Mack Says:
    November 29th, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Sure man , remind me again when did we win in a shoot out with these receivers last time?! Please don’t give me those stupid examples where we beat Beat those sucky teams

• Los Raida Locos

Good coaches make players better, Awful coaches make excuses

———————————

Thats right. And awful coaches lose the locker room and players start to go mutinous.

• dr_robert

Priesttj12 Says:
    November 29th, 2012 at 10:38 pm
    ***************************************
    **************

ok, so we agree. some players have more talent than others. u blame the coaches when a player doesn’t “develop”. that can be true to an extent. but how about when a player was supposed to have talent but maybe he didn’t have what they thought, now that he’s playing with other talented guys? how about when the player just can’t get what’s being taught or doesn’t really care to? still the coaches’ fault? or is the player responsible for his end of things? doesn’t he have to try? what if he tries and just doesn’t have it?

• mcfadden20.

This is a passing league and our D is not good enough to stop the top passing Os , once they go up on us, we have to abandon running games and dial up passing plays, even with a good QB , we lack talent at wide receiver position to go head to head with most of these teams

• dr_robert

KoolKell Says:
    November 29th, 2012 at 10:41 pm
    ————————–
    You ever been to a NFL practice? I have. Calm down.

************

LOL! so going to a practice means u know something? it requires a pass. that’s it. very dumb comment kell.

• Priesttj12

You’ll see players go from one org. to another that has great position coaches and they get much better very quickly under that tutelage. Their position coaches are just better and can teach their scheme better and what it atkes to play in it.

The Steelers are one of the best in the NFL at player development. They take average talent and succeed with it because they’re great at player development.

• The Mack

Greenbay developed Aaron Rodgers, he goes somewhere else there’s no guarantee he becomes the star he is.

• mcfadden20.

Quit giving this bs were got good enough receivers to win with, that only happens if you got good to great team to keep other teams to low scores

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

When your inept at every facet of the game, that’s Coaching.

• dr_robert

Los Raida Locos Says:
    November 29th, 2012 at 10:41 pm
    Coaching at the NFL level is about scheming and gameplanning.

—————————–

And our coaches are good at that?

*************

i never said i’ve been impressed with this staff. but the ZBS is no pipe dream. it is to the running game wht the west coast offense was to the passing game. it has flourished and our guys have had trouble with it.

and mcclain’s problems have nothing to do with coaching. he sucks.

Great D *^^^

• Priesttj12

The Mack Says:
    November 29th, 2012 at 10:47 pm
    ***********************************
    This is very true…..he was far from the finsihed product his mechanics were way off. The same is true with Brett Farve under Mooch and those coaches. They know whow to develope QB’s.

• dr_robert

Priesttj12 Says:
    November 29th, 2012 at 10:43 pm

*************

being around great minds does not mean u have a great mind.

what ur saying is that no player should ever be cut before his 4th year is done. sorry but ridiculous. the evidence is glaring. mcclain does not have it. plus, he has refused to apply what talent he does have. if burris can grasp it in his rookie year, mcclain could have by now. he was the worst player on the team.

• Priesttj12

When your inept at every facet of the game, that’s Coaching.
    ******************************
    plain and simple truth..

Priesttj12 Says:
    November 29th, 2012 at 10:47 pm

—-
    They draft guys well and have drafted well ,this is where you get exposed ,while Al D drafted guys from 3-4s to play in 4-3

• Los Raida Locos

KoolKell Says:
    November 29th, 2012 at 10:48 pm
    When your inept at every facet of the game, that’s Coaching.

————————————–

Be interesting to see if Reggie endorses this staff tomorrow.

• mcfadden20.

Steelers draft guys based on they’d schemes they run, while al D thought this was play ground football just pick the fastest stronger and the tallest guy lol

• Los Raida Locos

I hope Reggie throws them under the bus.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

The Oline was a helluva lot better last yr. its a mess this year.

Thanks, Bob Wylie & Steve Wiznewski

• mcfadden20.

Stfu kell this staff isn’t going Nywher might as well jump on the whiners bandwagon like your buddy priest and the Mack

• dr_robert

Priesttj12 Says:
    November 29th, 2012 at 10:47 pm

*************

i agree. the steelers are good at getting the most out of their guys. but they’re also good at evaluating talent in the first place. and oh yeah, they seem to cut a lot of guys every year too.

they bring in actually talented guys, that apply themselves to the quality coaching.

mcclain has sucked no matter who has coached him. and the steelers couldn’t make him faster, more instinctive, or more driven. u can’t make silk out of a sow’s ear.

• DJ Johnny

Is this Reggie presser really happening?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

The Mack Says:
    November 29th, 2012 at 10:47 pm
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Exactly. Do you think he would have lasted as long on draft day if he was this special, or did it take a few years of good coaching to develop him.
    Tom Brady is so special he was picked innthe 6th round, or did the pats develop him?
    Is it luck that teams with good coaches develop young talent, but teams like us can’t or do we have the worst scouting department in the league?

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Yeah, can’t wait to hear Reggie’s State of the Raiders Presser.

Night guys

• Los Raida Locos

DJ Johnny Says:
    November 29th, 2012 at 10:54 pm
    Is this Reggie presser really happening?

———————————-

You better believe it. He has got some serious explaining to do in regards to this staff. I hope he fires them. What the heck, we’re in the off season now anyway.

• dr_robert

i gotta tell u, mistic has proven to be an idiot because of his ridiculous one-sided not-so-subtle racism, but at least he’s behind a talented, hard-working player who so far, while not being great, has demonstrated good things.

but to be on the side of mcclain at this point just speaks of either blindness or outright stupidity.

• dr_robert

i never said development doesn’t take place. but it doesn’t take place with under-talented, un-caring pieces of sh!t like mcclain.

• Priesttj12

Son drafting well is only half the battle…….this is what you just don’t get. These players aren’t great when they get them they help them reach their potential through coaching them up. Lebeau has been there for years because he is a great teacher. he gets the best out of the talent they draft.

Player development is HUGE or else you’ll see very talented players become BUST and everyone will wonder why. It’s called a lack of player development. They don’t recieve the coaching necessary to succeed in many cases. They go elsewhere and make it. Ask any pro-player if coaching doesn’t matter. They’ll laugh at you because it affects them dramatically.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Mcfadden20. Says:
    November 29th, 2012 at 10:54 pm

——————–
    You can’t respect anybody’s opinion sceptic yours? Rude little Btch.

• The Mack

Mc20 you want me to prove we can win with the recievers we have but i cant use the games we won as an example??? Lol wow! i guess D moore has never made finger tip catches, or highlight reel catches in double coverage? DHB has never taken a 5 step slant for a 50 yard td, or made 1 hand catches on a long bomb from carson, or turned a 10 yard catch in to a 60 yarder by breaking tackles? These guys can and have made plays… they’ve made some this year and even more last year. You wont ever agree with me but thats the way I see it.

• jackasspuria

Like one football coach told me:
    “You can’t coach stupid.” — that would be Rolando McClain.