Palmer nursing sore thumb, McFadden ready to give it a go

By Steve Corkran
Thursday, November 29th, 2012 at 3:41 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Quarterback Carson Palmer was limited in practice today as a result of sore right thumb. This came as a bit of a surprise, given Palmer practiced full tilt the day before.
Offensive coordinator Greg Knapp said Palmer hurt his thumb against the Bengals last Sunday. Even so, he is “100 percent confident” that Palmer will be ready to play this Sunday against the Browns.
Coach Dennis Allen didn’t sound as certain.
“He took all his reps (Wednesday),” Allen said. “Today, his thumb was a little sore. We limited his reps. He’s another one we’ll have to see as we go through the remainder of the week where he’s at.”
If Palmer can’t play or if he gets injured in the game, it will be Matt Leinart who takes over and not second-year player Terrelle Pryor, who is expected to be on the active roster for the first time in 12 games this season.
Leinart said he is eager to make his Raiders debut and play for the first time since he suffered a broken left collarbone. He received all the reps with the first-team offense Thursday.
“I’m super competitive and want to get on the field any way I can,” Leinart said. “I just love the game. So, with that being said, I just got to keep preparing, just keep studying like I have been because I’m still one play away from being in there. But, yeah, everyone wants to play, everyone wants to get on the field. That’s all I can really do is just control the way I work and prepare.”
Leinart is signed through the end of this season. He sounded like a guy that wouldn’t mind coming back to the Raiders.
“It’s awesome because there’s so much tradition here, there’s so many great players that have played here,” Leinart said. “Growing up, I was a Raiders fan, so it was silver and black, my family grew up being Raider fans. … It’s been an honor to play for the Raiders. I don’t know what’s going to happen next year but I love playing for this team.”
Leinart said fans need to be patient with what the Raiders are going through. He likes what he sees in Allen and general manger Reggie McKenzie and feels as if better times are coming.
“It’s a building process, step by step,” Leinart said. “I really think that it’s going to be a special place to be. When? You never know. You just keep building and building. But he’s got the right message for us, coach Allen. Guys have bought in, guys are working hard, guys are playing hard. We’re not getting the results on Sunday, but it’s a process.”

– Running backs Darren McFadden and Mike Goodson were limited in practice today for the second straight day.
Given they are returning from high-ankle sprains that forced them to miss the past three games, Knapp said he expects regular fullback Marcel Reece to be used primarily as a halfback Sunday against the Browns.
Knapp said it’s likely that McFadden and Goodson will need more time to get back into football shape. Therefore, if they play, they will be eased back in to the mix.
“There’s still a little work I have to do,” McFadden said. “But for the most part, I’m getting back to being me.”
McFadden said he isn’t sure what to expect once he gets back on the field.
“The only thing I can do is go out there and play football,” McFadden said. “I don’t know how it’s going to be. I’m just going to go out there and do what I do every down and play ball.”

– Raiders middle linebacker Rolando McClain and Browns rookie running back Trent Richardson were teammates at Alabama for one season.
Richardson said he is looking forward to seeing McClain again. Well, that’s not apt to happen now in light of McClain being excused from practice Wednesday and told not to show up for practice Thursday by coach Dennis Allen.
Therefore, the primary task Sunday of trying to slow down Richardson in the run game falls to McClain’s replacement, Omar Gaither. Richardson has rushed for 755 yards and six touchdowns in 11 games for the Browns.
Richardson said he grew up idolizing Raiders running back Darren McFadden and later idolized McClain after watching him play at Alabama.
“From what I see and from what I’ve been told, the Raiders have a good team, especially Rolando McClain,” Richardson said in a conference call with Bay Area media. “Obviously, I look up to him a lot. He was a captain for me at Alabama when I was a freshman. He was one of my idols I looked up to as a leader on the team.”
Richardson added that McClain has had a “good impact” in his three NFL seasons. It’s worth noting that coach Allen replaced McClain in the nickel package in favor of rookie Miles Burris earlier this season.
“A lot of people sleep on Rolando because I don’t think they give him (as) much media as Oakland should,” Richardson said. “At Alabama, he got a lot of media and stuff. He has had a good impact. Will it be more? Yes, it will be because that’s Rolando.
“I know how Rolando trains and how Rolando prepares for the games. But how I see it, it’s not all about Rolando. He has to get a lot more help. He has to get a lot more help from the defensive (standpoint) for him to be a good, successful player, and for the whole team to stand up.”
If so, it likely won’t be for the Raiders.

– When the Browns lost to the Raiders at the Coliseum last season it kicked off a losing skid away from Browns Stadium that stands at 12 games and counting. The Browns are 0-5 on the road so far this season.
When asked for a common theme in those losses, Browns coach Pat Shurmur said:
“Yeah, we’ve slept the night before in a hotel.”
He then added:
“I don’t know. The theme for me as this year has gone on is, we haven’t really been able to finish a game. Each game is a different story. We were behind in some and came back and went ahead and then lost. We were ahead and let them come back.
“The big thing for us is prepare yourself for the road venue whatever it is, crowd noise or what not, and then go play the game. If you overthink that … We lost a few games at home, too. If you overthink that, then now you start to build in you play differently if you play at 1 o’clock then 4 o’clock. That’s just not the way I want to do it.”
The Raiders aren’t much better. They are 1-5 on the road this season and they have lost their past nine games played in the Eastern Time Zone.

– Former Cal offensive lineman Mitchell Schwartz has started all 11 games at offensive tackle for the Browns. He was their second-round pick in the 2012 NFL draft.
“He’s done a nice job for us,” Shurmur said. “He’s kind of established himself as a guy, he doesn’t say much but he goes out and he battles. Even our older players will tell you, he’s one of the most studious and the smartest of our guys up front. He’s making good progress. If he stays on track here, he has a chance to be a good player in this league for a long time.”

– McFadden went down with a high-ankle sprain after 170 touches in eight games this season. Richardson is still going strong after 250 rushes and receptions through 11 games.
He said he hasn’t hit the so-called wall that typically undoes many rookies accustomed to playing 12 or 13 games in college.
Richardson said he can handle whatever workload the Browns throw his way.
“Oh, yeah, I’m comfortable with it,” Richardson said. “That’s what they brought me here for, why they traded up for me. That’s what I train hard for. That’s one thing I do. I train hard, so I can get prepared every week for 22 carries or more. Whatever they have in store for me, I’m here for it.”

– The Browns have been in almost every game this season. Like the Raiders, they are struggling to find a way to win the close games.
Richardson came from an Alabama program that won most, if not all, of its game on an annual basis. He said he knows the key to winning games.
“Oh, yeah, you got to start fast, man, you got to finish strong,” Richardson said. “That’s something that coach (Nick) Saban always stressed, finish strong. Being in more condition, being more disciplined. That goes along with it. You got to man up and be more disciplined than the other team and make sure you do everything you can to make the play.”
So, there you have it. The cat is out of the bag.

– The Raiders-Browns game failed to sell enough tickets — at least 85 percent — to avoid a blackout locally. That snapped the string of consecutive games televised locally at 13, dating to the start of the 2011 season.
Allen said it’s incumbent upon the Raiders to play better, win more games and give the fans reason to attend games.
“I’m disappointed in that,” Allen said, “but the only way we can change that is to go out and try to get a win against Cleveland and then hopefully we won’t have to worry about that at any time in the future.”

• Raiders for life

Excellent point Albert.

• Raiders for life

Off to work, HAPPY FRIDAY Nation

• morilla

Raiders For Life Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 6:05 am
    Is there any chance that this is a wake up call for McClain and Reg and DA get him straightened out?
    ————

His wake up call was when he put a gun to someone’s head.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

25 years ago today, I went to my first Raider game in Seattle. It was Monday Night and Bo Jackson ran for 221 yards, running over Brian Bosworth for one TD. His other run went for 91 yards. That was one of the best days of my life.

• Raiderbuck

nycraider Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 5:26 am

why is it taking so long for reggie to make a decision
    ************************************************

I would think it’s the money. If the suspend him they don’t have to pay him. Probably just getting all the ducks in a row so they satisfy the players union.

• Raiderbuck

Sam Farmer ‏@LATimesfarmer

Good one from @RJinVegas: It’s the 1st time the Browns have been favored this season, and only 2nd time since 2007 they’re road favorites.

• RaidingTexas

Albert Bigelow Paine Says:

———————————————

50 years ago today, Bo Jackson was born.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

50 years ago today, Bo Jackson was born.
    —–
    I bet he can still run faster than most people half his age.

• DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL

BO KNOWS !!

• edward teach

RaiderRockstar Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 4:32 am
    72 year old Monte Kiffin wants back in the NFL

anybody want to give him DA’s job and draft that Barkley kid??

********************************************************

You should go back to bed, Rockstar. I don’t know what you had to drink last night but it hasn’t worn off yet.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

While the Raiders are sh!tting their pants the Warriors are rollin.

GOLDEN STATE F’ng WARRIORS!!!!

• Just Fire Baby

David Lee should be an All-Star.

Getting him for Anthony Randolph was one of the most one-sided trades in the history of sports.

• hwnrdr

MistaBrown Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 6:34 am
    While the Raiders are sh!tting their pants the Warriors are rollin.

GOLDEN STATE F’ng WARRIORS!!!!

Yeah you guys got a good ride going! I hope its not like the usual years and fall off come playoff time!

• Just Fire Baby

BTW, Mark Jackson did just as bad of a tank job his first year as Dennis Allen has.

Took a team 10 games under .500 to 20 games under .500, even though they played 20 less games last year!!!!

• Just Fire Baby

And of course, when the Lee for Randolph trade happened Priest was arguing with me that it was a stupid trade, and that you can’t give up on a “talent” like Randolph.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

They should sit Bogut until the All-Star break let him get right and unleash the fury in the 2nd half.

• DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL

ALL THE TP6 TALK..NOW ALL THE SUDDEN PALMER HAS A SORE THUMB..COINCEDENCE ??

• http://www.safc.com/the-club/stadium/about-the-stadium-of-light neilb

Happy Birthday Bo!

I’ll always remember that Seattle game.A newspaper this side of the pond reviewed the game with “Bo meets Boz and wishes he’d brought his bat”.

How wrong can you be?

• hwnrdr

DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 6:52 am
    ALL THE TP6 TALK..NOW ALL THE SUDDEN PALMER HAS A SORE THUMB..COINCEDENCE ??

I know right?
    I think they will just use him in packages! I’m gonna be pi**ed if he has a good day when he’s in because I’m not going and the darn game is blacked out…lol

• Just Fire Baby

Bogut stinks, and has played like 50 games over his last 3 surgeries.

Never will be the same. Just had microfracture on his ankle.

He’s done.

• bcz24

There is no question in my mind that the Raiders are getting their ducks all sorted out with the NFL and Players Union in order to properly handle the RoMac deal.

I was listening to the local radio this morning (Bills country) these guys were talking about RoMac. They think the Bills should jump on him if he is waived. They went on to talk about how good he is, and how he is just stuck on a crappy team. I called in, explained the truth about McClain, and reminded them that we have played a Super Bowl since the last time the Bills sniffed the playoffs. They hung up on me… LOL

• bcz24

I know right?
    *****************
    Don’t worry bud, if that happens I will DM you in Twitter with my login info for NFL Replay and you can watch the game in full HD!

• DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL

DAMN HWNRDR, WHO’S GONNA BUY ME BEER IF U AINT THERE ??

• RaiderSam

RaiderDuck Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 6:07 am
    Nycraider Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 5:26 am
    why is it taking so long for reggie to make a decision

======================================

Best guess: McClain is inactive (and away from the team) Sunday, is suspended for the rest of the season w/o pay for Conduct Detrimental on Tuesday, and then cut sometime in February.

========================

Doesnt it seem like a pattern? Same thing with suspended players, ejected players, purple drank, cutting DeAngelo Hall … they must do a better job on character of the people they draft…this wasnt on Reggie’s watch, so they are clearing out…i just felt bad the released Vic S’oto, for a space for Curry, then end up cutting Curry – i mean, they have to get out of these personnel moves..will Omar Gaither show anything?

HELP!! Draft some ballers, PLEASE!

• Just Fire Baby

I for one hope to see TP play, and not in mop-up duty or some circus act “packages”.

Give him a drive in the 2nd quarter, with the game in question still, and with the whole field to work with.

And run an NFL offensive series and see what he can do. See if he can convert a 3rd and 7, see if he can audible if need be, see if he can adjust the blocking scheme, see if he can be a QB.

• theghostronin79

DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 6:52 am
    ALL THE TP6 TALK..NOW ALL THE SUDDEN PALMER HAS A SORE THUMB..COINCEDENCE ??

===========

I thought the same thing until I heard that Lienart took all the 1st team reps in practice Thursday…

Oh yaaaaayyyyyy, they’re still going to wait on Pryor…
    I’ve got absolutely ZERO interest in watching #7 play QB against the Brown Stains.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

For all you wish full thinkers out there, Gruden not going to UT. I guess that means Gruden and Monte Kiffin are coming to the Raiders:

• http://www.safc.com/the-club/stadium/about-the-stadium-of-light neilb

Vegas….

I can only see Pryor playing trash time.Allen will want to try and win this game for his own sake as well as the teams.He’s not going to play an unproven rookie if the games tight.

• RaiderSam

Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 7:07 am

===============

What the hell are they going to be Gruden with.. Allen would still be under contract…so they’d pay two coaches?! Thats a Daniel Snyder move….not a Mark Davis one.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

All these other teams think RoMac is a good player because nobody else in the country pays any attention to the Raiders. We live in our own little world of crapdom.

• GreatWhiteRaider

Just wanted to say I spend WAY TOO much time reading everybody’s blog entries. The different perspectives, takes on the personnel and the football in general I find really interesting.

Anyways, I think the thing is, we’ll never know who is ‘really’ at fault in terms of players or coaches until one of them becomes constant. Every year, it’s one or both entities getting whacked and a whole new group comes and starts from scratch.

That’s why, I’m in favour of DA and co. coming back next year. Am I impressed with DA this year? Not really (don’t even get me started on the Knapp situation). But the bottom line is, as a Raider fan who desperately wants to see some resepct and accomplishment return to this organization, I don’t have a choice.

If DA gets fired, this year goes for not and it’s ground hog day next season with a new coach, new players….AGAIN.

For years we watched Al hire stooges/lackeys at minimum wage for coaches and let strictly average /overpaid players run the show. Did that work? See for yourself. #hashtag the W-L record the last 10 years. Basically, outside of the Chucky era, the last 20.

At least now, I see Reggie and DA attemping to rectify that mind set. *disclaimer, if #55 ever steps foot on the field with our logo on again, I take this all back.

Are they the guys to run the show? Only time will tell. I haven’t agreed with everything they’ve done to say the least, but at least they are trying to change the systemic issues that have plauged this franchise.

Bottom line is, the roster needs significant changes, couple that with a year of experience under his belt, hopefully DA is a pleasant surprise to all of us next year? But we’ll never know unless he comes back.

Changing both the players and the coaches next off-season will just make this season and even bigger waste of time IMO.

We desperately need some consistency to start building a successful franchise. Al used to say all the time; “I’d rather be right than consistent.” I would counterpoint; “if you’re consistent, you’ll be right more often.”

Can’t wait for Reggie’s presser today!

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

——
    It’s also an Al Davis move. I don’t think Allen is getting fired. I think he deserves another year.

• RaidingTexas

RaiderSam Says:

——————————–

Pretty sure ABP was being sarcastic.

• hwnrdr

bcz24 Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 6:57 am
    I know right?
    *****************

Thanks bro!

• hwnrdr

Dirt Lot…LOL!
    I’ll make it up on Thursday afternoon!

• RaidingTexas

Albert Bigelow Paine Says:

————————————–

I said the same thing here yesterday. Some guys were talking about him on the radio here in Dallas. They were curious if he would be a good fit for the Cowboys. They were googling him and JUST THEN finding out about the Decatur gun incident. They had no idea about his on field or off field performance.

So they started a twitter hashtag #DaylightPistolWhipper to send thoughts on Rolando as a Cowboy. LOL

• http://www.safc.com/the-club/stadium/about-the-stadium-of-light neilb

Anyone know when the Reggie presser starts?

• Marks hair

Should have traded him while we could

• Al_is_theraiders

as soon as he gets out of the can…

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Neilb Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 7:22 am
    Anyone know when the Reggie presser starts?
    —–
    It’s a mystery. Maybe Cork will let us know.

• Al_is_theraiders

rob ryan knows how to use him…DA barely knows how to use a sharpie…

• bcz24

638.Marks hair Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 7:26 am
    Should have traded him while we could
    ****************
    You are just assuming they didn’t try. You have no idea.

• wishbone

If the Raiders can average 36.5 points allowed over the remaining 5 games they will break the modern day season record currently held by 1981 Baltimore Colts at 533. That is with a defensive GM and Head Coach. Unbelievably pathetic. Mark could have hired Dumb and Dumber with better results. Ooops he did.

• R8ER MIKE

GOOD MORNING NATION !!
    and my GreenParty brothers !!

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Wishbone Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 7:35 am
    ——-
    I don’t think the Browns or the Chiefs are going to score over 30 points. The record is safe.

• Raiderbuck

When does it start and where can I watch it? Cork, Cork? Bueller, Bueller, anyone? :)

• http://www.safc.com/the-club/stadium/about-the-stadium-of-light neilb

When Al sacked Cable and hired Hue it was live on this site.

Sad times…..the camera kept going to Als hands’.

• http://ggeden.blogspot.com/ GG

The way Allen said “there’s going to be consequences to his actions” which is a very stern/angry attitude befitting something really bad being done. And the way it’s been reported that the players didn’t notice any shouting match whatsoever, but a quick calm conversation…

I wonder if what happened was something like, McClain quietly threatening Allen with physical harm. Or, the whole “actions” part meaning he physically did something to upset Allen, wonder if McClain walked off the field and urinated on Allen’s office door or something like that.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Just Fire Baby Says:
    November 30th, 2012 at 6:55 am

Bogut stinks, and has played like 50 games over his last 3 surgeries.

Never will be the same. Just had microfracture on his ankle.

He’s done.
    =============================================

Microfracture surgery is bad. Bogut himself said he is nowhere close to coming back. That is not good.

• Al_is_theraiders

happy birthday Bo…possibly the greatest ever…