Jerry McDonald grades the Raiders off Browns loss

Beat writer Jerry McDonald graded the Raiders off their performance against the Cleveland Browns in a 20-17 defeat at the Coliseum:

Pass offense
Once more, Carson Palmer had a big yardage day (34 of 54, 351 yards, 2 TDs) but had a lethal interception by Sheldon Brown on a first-and-10 pass to Juron Criner from the Cleveland 33 while trailing 13-10. Denarius Moore was benched for dropped passes. Darrius Heyward-Bey had a drop. Brandon Myers tied a team record with 14 receptions (for 130 yards) and a touchdown.

Grade: C

Run offense

The Raiders ran the ball fairly well, but for whatever reason didn’t stick with it. Jeremy Stewart had 46 yards on nine carries and looked comfortable on inside and outside zone runs. Marcel Reece added 36 yards on seven carries. Palmer had a three-yard sneak for a first down on short yardage.

Grade: B

Pass defense

Rookie Brandon Weeden had his best day as a pro, completing 25 of 36 passes for 364 yards and a 44-yard touchdown pass to Josh Gordon. He was sacked only once and completed some passes after taking some ferocious shots. Matt Giordano and Phillip Adams both had interceptions before they left with concussions, but the Raiders gave up eight pass plays of 20 yards or more.

Grade: D

Run defense

Trent Richardson had to work for his yards, needing 20 carries to gain 72 yards, a 3.6 yard average, with one touchdown on a 1-yard run. Monterio Hardesty had a 19-yard run and finished with 39 yards on five attempts. Strong safety Tyvon Branch was credited with 12 tackles.

Grade: B

Special teams

Sebastian Janikowski had a 51-yard field goal and missed from 61 — hardly a gimme. Shane Lechler had two punts inside the 20-yard line and had another trickle into the end zone. Josh Cribbs was held to 16 yards on two punt returns. The Raiders lost 15 yards of field position when Coye Francies got a facemask penalty while covering a punt.

Grade: C

Coaching

There was some valid second-guessing of Dennis Allen’s decision to continue on for a touchdown while trailing 20-10 instead of taking a field goal and going for an onsides kick for a chance to tie. By the time the Raiders scored, the game was over. Offensive game plan abandoned the run as if the makeup margin was 20 points instead of 10.

Grade: D

Steve Corkran

• Dakota

And here I thought that all of the Raider Drama would end when Al died…..SSDO….same schyyyt different owner.

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

FIREREGGIENOW!

• MaddenRaiderisadouchebag

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    December 3rd, 2012 at 1:35 pm
    DA is lane kiffin with KNAPP. Josh Mcdaniels type,

U think DA is the kind of DC Steve SPAGS was?

how did that turn out for the Rams. Oh ya thats right they went and got a real coach.

DA will be gone in 2 yrs

=======

Tits resume doesn’t compare to Spags when he got that job…Tits was NOT successful as the Donkos DC. There is no argument.

• bigsnow81

This team sucks. The game wasn’t even televised in Sacramento. Ruined my Sunday.

• hwnrdr

Next man up!

• Dakota

Jerry,

When you lose at home to the Browns, there is a rule that no team grade for any part of the team can exceed a C+.

Get your grading adjusted!

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

agree it looks like the JOB is really getting to DA.. where HUE EMBRACED the challenges.. DA is quiet and worried.

I wouldnt be suprises if he eventually gives up. I really think DA underestimated this fan base.. and Mark Davis himself.

THINK AINT DONKEY land up in dnever

——————————

Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    December 3rd, 2012 at 1:58 pm
    I think it’s weird that Allen didn’t even tell the players he was leaving for a couple of days.

exactly..Albert.. I just dont think he has a close relationship with his players

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

n players can pickup on a coach who has quit a mile away.

Thats why kelly was telling Rolando to chill and not lose his future employment over this coach. Rolando tried to step up to DA and Da returned the favor. Rolando was telling his coach how all the players quit on him already. Thats why DA wouldnt talk about it

BTW its gonna take DA 2 years to = HUE JACKSONS 1 yr WIN TOTAL.

thats if he is lucky. Might have himself up to 4 wins next year.

• The_Judge37

With the supposed rumors of Gruden and Allen Leaving, this copy past job is the best you could do today Corkran? Forget Fire DA, Bring Back Jerry McDonald to the Blog

• Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Bring back Jerry.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

GREG PAPA was just on 95.7 the game talking about this rumor.. Said last time GRUDEN came to Rickeys few yrs ago he had called papa and they all went down there.

Papa said GRUDEN openely talked about coming back to the Raiders and Papa was surpised to hear that.. Papa said Gruden described it as “UNFINISHED BUSINESS” also papa says he thinks Gruden would want to be the signal caller.

Papa then said Of course AL was still in charge, this was before the RAiders played the Redskins in that rainstorm.

in 2009 Al told Greg papa that GRUDEN had called him expressing that he wanted to come back. Jon had reached out to Al this was right before Al hired HUE in 2010. Papa said that HUE was really the coach in 2010.. but Cable had the title.

Greg told AL jokenly .. you would never hire JON back.. and AL said “im thinking about it” Im thinking about it”

Again Greg papa is saying this on 95.7 the game. Just letting u know. I really believe MARK DAVIS is gonna make a strong pitch for GRUDEN

• Dakota

Jhill,

Do the Lakers need an all start at every position to win? PG excuse? Really?

Since the 1980s, most NBA Champions have had average PGs.

• JONGRUDEN2013

I will grade the local hacks on their questioning today. F-

I will agree the lunch spread they serve those guys is impressive, Iv had it,…but to not want to risk it by asking a touchy question is weak. Tarver baited them to ask him about Rolando and nobody bit,…thats just weak,…yes Im talking to you Steve and Jerry both. Weak.

• Dakota

all-star***

• The Big Banana

This team deserves straight F’s!

• Dakota

So, anyone else think that the Boardwalk Empire season finale was kind of weak last night?

• The_Judge37

Dakota Says:
    December 3rd, 2012 at 2:18 pm
    Jhill,

Do the Lakers need an all start at every position to win? PG excuse? Really?

Since the 1980s, most NBA Champions have had average PGs.
    ——–

Lakers won 5 with Derek Fisher.

• JONGRUDEN2013

Weak??????……I think about 300 people got slaughtered….awesome finale. I will miss Gyp however,..he brought the rage.

• The Big Banana

#11 – Interesting! Thanks for sharing. I thought Al was 100% opposed to bringing Gruden back.

Gruden in 2013!

• Oldtown

It is a KNOWN fact that Jon Gruden was at the Coliseum two weeks ago sitting with Mark Davis in the owner’s box at the Raiders game the night before the ESPN Niner’s game. I hope to heck that they were talking about a future relationship together. There IS unfinished business there.

• Dakota

18.JONGRUDEN2013 Says:
    December 3rd, 2012 at 2:23 pm
    +++++++++++++++

Gyp’s ending was lame.

And Nucky being a puzzy with his wife….smh….

• JONGRUDEN2013

If Jon Gruden returns I will promise this,..I will get a luxury suite for a game next year and invite all you mother F`rs…not kidding.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

They should have never killed off Jimmy.

• JONGRUDEN2013

I loved Gyps ending,..him imitating Nucky was briiliant…super ending,..the wife crap was for the ladies who watch the show.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

JONGRUDEN2013 Says:
    December 3rd, 2012 at 2:27 pm
    ——
    How awkward would that be if everyone showed up?

• JONGRUDEN2013

I never liked Jimmy,…thought he was a punk,…even for a criminal. Hope we get another season.

• JONGRUDEN2013

Wouldnt be awkward for me, Iv met several from here,…I know two who wont show up,…old man Kell and MR,…book that.

• The Big Banana

JONGRUDEN2013 Says:
    December 3rd, 2012 at 2:27 pm

—-

Lol. You’re on, Bob.

You see what type of excitement Gruden would bring, Mark and Reggie? Pull the trigger!

• Los Raida Locos

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    December 3rd, 2012 at 2:17 pm
    GREG PAPA was just on 95.7 the game talking about this…………

————————–

If Gruden came back, Raiders would sell out every game and probably get that new stadium built to hold more asses cause Gruden will pack the seats. Mark should do it. It would be a bold business move and put Oakland back on the NFL map.

• Dakota

Old half-face kicked some azz….and then dropped the kid off at a drunk abuser’s home….but hey, he tried!

• McFaddens_Sneakers

I think at this point it will be best if they force Allen to quit over family matters. This way the raiders dont look loke a team that would can a coach after his first year (which they should) and Allen is looked as someone who was having a hard time dealing with the team cause of his fathers health (or something along those lines whatever i dont care make something up) and just get a proven coach (which is what this team needs). I think Reggie made a mistake by hiring a rookie coach in his rookie season as a GM when he should have hired a proven coach with experiance in running a team in a rebuilding process. but whatever this team is efen awful. but i will be there on thursday heavely intoxicated to ease the pain.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Gruden and Te’o in 2013 would definitely get the Raiders more national attention.

• RaidingTexas

The_Judge37 Says:

Lakers won 5 with Derek Fisher.

—————————————-

Ugh. My Mavs had to turn to him over Darren Collison. You know things are really bad when that happens.

Football sucks. Basketball sucks. FML

• The Big Banana

Los Raida Locos Says:
    December 3rd, 2012 at 2:32 pm
    RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    December 3rd, 2012 at 2:17 pm
    GREG PAPA was just on 95.7 the game talking about this…………

————————–

—-

I would re-up in a heart beat if it happened. I would also buy season tix for some family members. No kidding. I would call my ticket rep the moment it was announced.

• Dakota

32.Albert Bigelow Paine Says:
    December 3rd, 2012 at 2:34 pm
    +++++++

I just got wood.

• RaidingTexas

Los Raida Locos Says:

and probably get that new stadium built

——————————

The ol’ Jerry Jones bait and switch!

• Dakota

FML?

• Jackie Bibby

I’d love to see gruden come back because I know he would turn Terrel Pryor into a player and to see him work with Dmac and those guys would be awsome.

• JONGRUDEN2013

Nah, Richard already straitened out that drunk abuser dude,..all good.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

That was Papa’s last point. He said the only person that could come in and refill the stands would be GRUDEN. Said the place would be sold out by thurs if fans knew Gruden would be on the sidelines or in the box.

Mark knows this.

• Los Raida Locos

MarcusAllen Says:
    December 3rd, 2012 at 2:05 pm
    DA will announce that he is taking extended leave of absence to stay with ill father. Knapp to be interim coach. This enables Reggie DA to save face and allow for new staff in 2013.

Plausible?

——————————

It will certainly save DA the humiliation of another beatdown. And any father feels their sons pain. DA has had more than his share of it and probably hasn’t helped his Dads’ health.

• http://InsidetheOaklandRaiders Goldie7

JONGRUDEN2013 Says:
    December 3rd, 2012 at 2:27 pm
    ***************************************************
    lol

• RaidingTexas

Dakota Says:

FML?

—————————–

Dam, Dakota. I’m going to send you an internet acronym guide for xmas.

• The_Judge37

Dakota Says:
    December 3rd, 2012 at 2:36 pm
    FML?

Fk My Life

• MaddenRaiderisadouchebag

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    December 3rd, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Mark knows this.

============

Let’s remember it’s still a business…I got sick of Gruden’s schtick, but the the players will buy into him.

• The_Judge37

RaidingTexas Says:
    December 3rd, 2012 at 2:38 pm
    Dakota Says:

FML?

—————————–

Dam, Dakota. I’m going to send you an internet acronym guide for xmas.
    —–

That’s the only one i know thanks to the Raiders

• The Big Banana

Lol, Dakota.

• Dakota

43.RaidingTexas Says:
    December 3rd, 2012 at 2:38 pm
    Dakota Says:

FML?

—————————–

Dam, Dakota. I’m going to send you an internet acronym guide for xmas.

+++++++++

lol, I knew what it meant….just had to see what you would say.

• http://raiders.com Albert Bigelow Paine

Surprisingly a lot of the blog morons are missing today.

• Al_is_theraiders

i would buy season tix again if chucky came back…