Raiders geared up for Colts, er, Broncos

By Steve Corkran
Tuesday, December 4th, 2012 at 3:35 pm in Oakland Raiders.

When the Raiders look at the Denver Broncos these days, they feel as if they are looking at old the Indianapolis Colts.
Quarterback Peyton Manning is playing himself, with linebackers Von Miller and Elvis Dumervil playing the roles of Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis.
The Raiders admit that it really doesn’t matter how much time anyone has to prepare for Manning. He’s going to be a handful, no matter what. Game-planning for Miller and Dumervil isn’t any easier, especially on a short week.
“Yeah, they’re pretty good, man,” Raiders right offensive tackle Khalif Barnes said. “They’re kind of like the old Indy. Peyton’s older, with a Mathis and Freeney type of deal.
“Von can rush, he can drop back and cover, and Elvis does a good job coming off the edge, too. They do well in their scheme. They do very good at what they do. So, pass blocking those guys is going to be key.”
Miller and Dumervil combined for 23 of the Broncos 38 sacks the first 12 games. Barnes and left offensive tackle Jared Veldheer figure to see the dynamic duo most often, though left guard Cooper Carlisle said the Broncos do some things to free up their best playmakers.
“They’re both a handful,” Carlisle said, “and they both kind of present different problems.”
To that end, Raiders offensive coordinator Greg Knapp said it’s incumbent upon him to devise ways to help keep Dumervil and Miller from teeing off on quarterback Carson Palmer. The best way is to keep in extra blockers.
“The more things you can show them, the more it helps,” Carlisle said. “At the same time, there’s times where you’re going to have to do it on your own.”

– Running backs coach Kelly Skipper said running back Darren McFadden looked sharp in practice Tuesday.
“You could see him cutting, you could see him bursting off the foot,” Skipper said. “You wouldn’t have noticed today that he had been injured.”
Skipper’s glowing report is consistent with coach Dennis Allen’s expectation of McFadden playing Thursday night for the time in five games.
For his part, McFadden said he is awaiting word from the team’s athletic trainers on whether his high-ankle sprain is healed well enough for him to play in a game.
“As long as they say I’m good to go, I’m going to sign off on it,” McFadden said.

– Safeties Matt Giordano and Mike Mitchell passed the league-mandated tests for players that suffer concussions. Therefore, they are cleared to play Thursday night.
Backup cornerback and punt returner Phillip Adams missed practice as a result of the concussion he suffered against the Cleveland Browns on Sunday, the same game in which Giordano and Mitchell were concussed. He is questionable for the Broncos game.

– Knapp assumed the lead role at practice Tuesday as Allen remains in Texas, where Allen’s father Grady passed away Monday night.
Allen is expected to rejoin the Raiders on Wednesday night and coach his team against the Broncos.
Allen spent last season as the Broncos defensive coordinator, working under coach John Fox. During that time, Fox and the other Broncos coaches and players got a chance to meet Grady Allen.
Fox said Allen’s father’s passing puts things in perspective, with football taking its proper place in the background. He added that he texted Allen to pass along his condolences and to let him know he is thinking about him during this trying time.
“Well, No. 1, first and foremost is, he’s in the right place,” Fox said. “Sometimes we get a little caught up in what we do for a living and those types of things. But if that was something he would have asked me, I would have said you need to be with your family.”

– Defensive tackle Richard Seymour (hamstring) missed practice once again. It seems almost certain that he won’t play Thursday night after missing the past four games.
Wide receiver Juron Criner (shoulder), tight end Brandon Myers (shoulder) and Barnes (triceps) were added to the injury report. All three were limited in practice Tuesday.

– The Raiders signed fullback/running back Jamize Olawale from the Dallas Cowboys practice squad and placed him on their 53-man roster.
Olawale fills the void on the active roster created by the two-game suspension of middle linebacker Rolando McClain, who is eligible to return Dec. 10.
Olawale is an undrafted rookie out of North Texas. He played for De La Salle High School his sophomore season before transferring to Long Beach Poly.

• fingers

I remember a rumor once that had John Madden coming back… And one that had Bill Cower coming…..it just seems an odd way to do business to me…. I have to see it officially …

• DJ Johnny

KoolKell Says:
    December 4th, 2012 at 5:21 pm
    Has anybody seen Gruden talking about the Raiders and a return, or are you people being played by Trolls?

What’d ya think?

Kell, go to PFW site where this was originally speculated last nite.

Scroll up for copy of that piece.

• Priesttj12

I wish I could say different and if Mark is sold a bill of goods I hope I’m wrong. But I sincerely doubt it. I’ve watched him up close I go way back with Gruden when he was a gopher for the Niners.

• The_Judge37

197.ottocrat Says:
    December 4th, 2012 at 5:28 pm
    Hey, I’ll say it: Gruden is coming back! There. It’s in print, on a blog! Therefore, it must be true. Maybe PFT can report on my bombshell too! Jeez, it’s like someone who’s in denial about an ex-girlfriend. SHE’S GONE, DUDE! SHE’S NOT COMING BACK!
    ———-

Well let’s not start driving by his moms house just yet

• Al_is_theraiders

i dont care if we get dr phil to coach…as long as DA is out…

• M Lonetree

BHP,

after 10 years of false teeth and wrinkles and hopelessness from da raiduhs it is time to embrace the idea past its prime.

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

“Triple6,

if shanarat could learn new tricks with RG, and with Gruden having a new perspective, don’t you think Jon is intelligent enough to implement something different?”

Yeah I said something like that in an earlier post so yes I would agree with you

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

M Lonetree Says:
    December 4th, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Seymour,

and if Reggie was out? so what?
    ==========================================

Again, when McKenzie took over he was a $30mm over the cap. What that means is we are NOT last years 8-8 team. Dudes had to go. McKenzie made a lot of tough choices, but he did the right thing which was pare as much of the dead wood out of here as he could, as quickly as he could.

The problem is you now see a team with no players, no depth, no anything which is what Davis left us with. We all knew this day was coming. And guess what, that is going to continue next year as well. Bill Polian, Ted Thompson, and Trent Baalke could all come here, donate their time and it would STILL be a disaster. That’s the fact.

Now, once again, we can all throw fits and stomp and want to fire everyone, but I don’t see that as being overly productive and I’m really don’t see Ozzie Newsome coming out west to help out. Other than whining and crying, does someone have a better suggestion than having guys who have had alot of success in this league try for more than 10 weeks to get us out of this?

• fingers

Lol… Dr. Phil would have his hands full with this team….

• morilla

If it is true, we won’t hear anything until after week 16.

• The_Judge37

209.fingers Says:
    December 4th, 2012 at 5:32 pm
    Lol… Dr. Phil would have his hands full with this team….
    ———–

I’ll take Maury.

Rolando McClain…. You are NOT the Starter

• DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL

TOM FLORES..JIM PLUNKETT RUBBING HIS SHOULDER AND WIND MILLING HIS RIGHT ARM..

• oklahomaRaider18

Jaguars waived Clint Sessions…..any chance we sign him? I know he’s dealing with concussions….

• Priesttj12

If he comes back with renewed vigor and a fresh approach NO ONE will be happier than me. I absolutely LOVED the guy he was a lot of fun. But I also saw the flaws and bad sides most fans refuse to see.

• DJ Johnny

201,

Me too fingers. I’m just passing along what I heard.

Also, the hosts coming back from break said “Just to reiterate we have breaking NFL news that…as reported by our own Hub Arkush just moments ago..Jon Gruden is going to be leaving the broadcast booth of MNF and re-joining the Oakland Raiders in …what role we aren’t sure”…then they continued to speculate.

One anncr said ‘Man..it’s been a rough week for Dennis Allen”.

• jackasspuria
  • McFaddens_Sneakers

its officially a rumor now. Just got an alert from bleachers report about gruden coming back to Oakland. Holly shat. Could this be true or they are trying to sell thousands of tix for thursdays game by exinting the nation.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

THE question is if gruden did come back would he bring that offense from 1999 or would he update based on the success of rgIII and newton, and kappy?

• M Lonetree

Seymour,

Reggie has as Reggie did. Mark did as Mark did. Coach Deer-in-the-headlights Allen appears as so many before him have in the NFL, a capable assistant but not THE MAN.
    change is inevitable, timing is more important than just giving one enough rope to hang oneself.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

DJ Johnny Says:
    December 4th, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I said this before but Arkush did not say Gruden was coming to be the new HC.

He said “prominent role” in the organization.
    ==============================================

Reggie McKenzie has a prominent role in the organization. I know it is fun to think about, but I have a hard time believing that Mark Davis is going to go back on the solid advice Ron Wolf, John Madden and other long time friends of his fathers, who had this all set up years in advance. That Mark would go against their advice 10 weeks into the winds of change because Hub Arkush says so.

• fingers

I remember seeing Gannon and Gruden yelling at each other on the sideline…. Gruden has fire… Wouldn’t take any schidt

• 303Raider

Oh man, it looks like the rumors are picking up steam. This would be a dream come true….

• MarcusAllen

Skins are dealing with 36 million cap reduction.

Stop it. Man the f up and play or gtfo. Tired of excuses.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

if gruden is thinking of coming back im sure it has to do with tp6, and the high draft spot next year.

NOBODY CARES ABOUT CARSON LOL

• http://www.RAIDERS.com Back-n-Black

Report: Jon Gruden talking to the Raiders about a return
    Posted by Mike Florio on December 4, 2012, 8:18 PM EST
    Cowboys Raiders Football AP

Last week, former Raiders and Bucs coach Jon Gruden supposedly was in talks to return to the University of Tennessee, where he once served as a graduate assistant.

This week, former Raiders and Bucs coach Jon Gruden supposedly is in talks to return to the Raiders, where he once served as the head coach.

That’s what Hub Arkush of Pro Football Weekly told WSCR in Chicago earlier today.

It’s good that Gruden has made it clear that he’s committed to ESPN. If he hadn’t, the rumors would be really out of control.

This specific rumor seems to be a little far fetched. Then again, the fact that new owner Mark Davis isn’t happy with the direction of the team could make him interested in talking to Gruden. And since Gruden is interested in maximizing his leverage, it makes sense that Gruden would listen.

• http://www.RAIDERS.com Back-n-Black

Justin Arbogast ‏@NFLGuy_SK

Reports are that Jon Gruden is in talks with Oakland about a possible return.

• fingers

I’m not sold on the rumor just yet…… It just seems a little odd …. We’ve been down this road before …seems like more a rumor than it does a reality….

• 303Raider

Gruden has spent more time studying players and teams since he has wirked for MNF.

He loves RG3, the pistol offense, and could probably get TP6 rolling quickly.

The Nation deserves this!!!!!!!!!

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Jackasspuria Says:
    December 4th, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Pro Football Talk picked up the story on Gruden…

———————————–
    Thanks.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

M Lonetree Says:
    December 4th, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Seymour,

============================================

Well said. If this was the 2012 Chicago Bears or 2012 Denver Broncos coming off a playoff win and adding Peyton Manning, I might agree with you. But this is the 2011 mediocre Oakland Raiders MINUS a bunch. Very hard to put 12-4 expectations up there when you think about that.

• Priesttj12

M Lonetree Says:
    December 4th, 2012 at 5:30 pm
    BHP,

**********************************

M you are speaking from your heart as are most here. They loved him as did I. But I also saw his bad side that some refuse to see. He is absolutely not a personnel man even he will tell you that. He does NOT know talent like most believe he does.

He will tell you as much I have had conversations with Gruden. I met him when he first got here in the back lot. He is very bright very detailed very inspiring he can motivate the hell out of this team. Great leader, I’m just being honest he is a true died in the hool WCO disciple and he will NOT deviate from that. He is a dink and dunk short passin g game playcaller who wants his QB to throw from the pocket and go through procession and then check it down.

That is who he is..period

• MarcusAllen

Gruden is NOT coming. Short of part ownership, all player/picks and north of 6.5 he aint coming. The is zero upside.

The best we can hope for Is DA gets some of the staff he originally wanted, some new players and we go 7-9.

• JONGRUDEN2013

I tried to tell you guys,…when I was on the sidelines taking pics with Reggie and Mark last Sunday,..they were al smiles,..its a done deal,…Old Al never would pay a head coach big money and let him do his thing,..Mark will.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

MarcusAllen Says:
    December 4th, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Skins are dealing with 36 million cap reduction.

Stop it. Man the f up and play or gtfo. Tired of excuses.
    =====================================

• RaiderDanny

Tell me when Glazer has the story

• r8eray

Fingers, alot of us in here and around Raider Nation want to believe this rumor…did you not hear Papa on the radio yesterday?

He accidentally leaked out some information!!!

;)

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

“They also don’t have a lst round draft choice for the next three years. That will help. But tell me this next year.”

LMAO

• Los Raida Locos

Kirk Says:
    December 4th, 2012 at 2:53 pm
    To be absent from the body is to be in the presense of God.

——————————-

That is awesome. And with that truth, I feel horrible for DA despite me bagging on him. But with that being said, he’ll be emotional Thursday and maybe that will inspire the team to pull out a win. I’m calling a win based on the blind squirell theory finding a nut once in a while. It has to happen. And then after that, John Fox begs him to come back to Denver and DA accepts the generous offer and Gruden is hired to coach the Raiders. Everybody is happy and the Raiders are back on the map.

• jackasspuria

From Rotoworld.com (a great site for player info/fantasy football):

According to Hub Arkush of ProFootballWeekly.com, the Raiders “are in talks” with Jon Gruden about a reunion.
    That’s a wild one. Aside from some fairly standard comments about being disappointed in the Raiders’ rough November, owner Mark Davis has given no indication that coach Dennis Allen’s job is in jeopardy. If there’s so much as a grain of truth to this rumor, however, Allen’s seat must be quite warm. Then again, there’s scarcely a job in America Gruden hasn’t been connected to since becoming a sensation in the Monday Night Football booth. If he’s coming back for 2013, the odds seem extremely thin it’s with the Raiders.

Source:
    Dan Bernstein
    ‏@dan_bernstein
    . @Hub_Arkush of @ProFootballWkly just told @Boers_Bernstein that Jon Gruden and the #Raiders are in talks to bring him back to Oakland.

• morilla

Seymour Bush Says:
    December 4th, 2012 at 5:38 pm
    DJ Johnny Says:
    December 4th, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I said this before but Arkush did not say Gruden was coming to be the new HC.

He said “prominent role” in the organization.
    ==============================================

———-

If anything I think it would be giving him the opportunity to help shop for the groceries. And everything else he couldn’t do when Al was around. Remember, him an Reggie have relationship from way back in the GB days.

• Priesttj12

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    December 4th, 2012 at 5:37 pm
    ************************************
    Now truely this is the most sober lucid question everyone should be asking because if he brings that boring offense how is that different from what we’re seeing now?

I love the guy as a motivator he will win 3 more games on that alone. But the WCO is passe teams have caught up to it. It’s yesterdays news!

• RaiderDanny

Johnny if your right and it happens? I’ll kiss you on the cheeks like the Godfather!

• fingers

Los Raida…. I like that….. I’ve been bagging on Allen as well….I could see the team playing some inspired ball Thursday

• MaddenRaiderisadouchebag

JONGRUDEN2013 Says:
    December 4th, 2012 at 5:45 pm

======

Then why didn’t they hire him as opposed to T!ts?

• Los Raida Locos

Priesttj12 Says:
    December 4th, 2012 at 5:43 pm
    M Lonetree Says:
    December 4th, 2012 at 5:30 pm
    BHP,

**********************************

That is who he is..period

————————–

People grow and learn and get better. Hopefully that is the case with Gruden. He has certainly had a lot of time to reflect.

• Gdog

pryor is better than chris sims and gradkowski, and tui

>>>>

And these are your examples of Gruden’s SUCCESS stories at QB?

Sorry… Gruden only coached up one great QB, and he was a vet similar to Palmer.

If Gruden comes here (which I still doubt but would LOVE) your Madden-rockstar Pryor is gone.

Traded for a fourth rounder probably . He likes QB’s that can PASS first.

• JONGRUDEN2013

I dont know who tits is,..but I do know youre a loser.

• morilla

How is Pryor better than Simms or Grad? He hasn’t even played a snap yet.

Jeeeez, some people.

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

“Sorry… Gruden only coached up one great QB, and he was a vet similar to Palmer.

Traded for a fourth rounder probably . He likes QB’s that can PASS first.”

I tried telling these tards that before you got here so I will pass the torch to you now….

• MaddenRaiderisadouchebag

JONGRUDEN2013 Says:
    December 4th, 2012 at 5:53 pm
    I dont know who tits is,..but I do know youre a loser.

==========

He’s the guy who promised a “smart, tough, disciplined football team” this year….A loser? Oh man my self-esteem was on the upswing.