Raiders respond to Gruden rumor

An e-mail from Raiders director media relations Zak Gilbert on the “rumor” that Jon Gruden could be rejoining the Raiders . . .

Members of the media: There are two people on this planet that have the ability to make talks happen between Jon Gruden and the Raiders, with regard to him allegedly taking over the football operations, and/or the position of head coach. Each of those individuals, owner Mark Davis and general manager Reggie McKenzie, wanted me to communicate that this rumor has no validity whatsoever. And for the record, I’m personally disgusted that Hub Arkush would spread such an untruth on the day our head coach, Dennis Allen, had to determine with his mom, his brother and sister, whether to take his dad off life support or wait and hope that he would regain consciousness. Dennis didn’t have an opportunity to say goodbye to his dad, but he did have an opportunity to take a phone call regarding Hub’s story.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• John David Booty

For the record, I dont believe or disbelieve Gruden is coming back in any capacity. And we can all make arguments both ways for why it would be great/not so great. All that said, I know Im not the only person that found the tone of Zak Gilbert’s e-mail very odd/cryptic. Im not trying to read too much into anything. Hey, maybe thats just Gilbert’s style of writing for all I know. Im just saying that when I read it, and as I continue to read it, it just gives me a weird feeling, a hint of dishonesty. As to what? I have no clue. Thats just a weird ass e-mail to me.

• Jackie Bibby

For real what is there to hide from??? What can anybody on this blog do to me besides talk $#!t or disagree with me? That’ll happen no matter what my name is so to insist someone would change their handle to hide is non-sense. Hide from who hide from what??? Ill be honest i changed my handle from “Tom pimphand cable” to the mack cus tom got fired and is now a seahawk, and then from the mack to jack bibby cus i just like that name better. Its not to hide from none of you lame @$$ weenies, you guys are no threat and not that important to me. Lol smh

• manassamauler

Sullivan44 Says:
    December 5th, 2012 at 6:52 pm

And who called me old man?
    Kell is an old man.
    Lefty is an old man.
    Preist is an old man.
    I’m in my prime.

>> i know who you are, we’ve chatted before.

• JONTRAIN

Whether or not Gruden rejoins the Raiders in no way affirms nor debunks the report of there being some interest between the two parties.

I for one, believe the report, and I also believe Ric Bucher, who just stated on 95.7 the game that he checked with his sources at ESPN and they confirmed the report.

However it still seems far fetched that he coaches here next year, if for no other reason than the Raiders probably can’t/won’t pay him $5 MIL or more per year.

• manassamauler

Jackie Bibby Says:
    December 5th, 2012 at 6:53 pm

>. exactly man. its just a blog and only mental midgets(Sandusky 44)try to get “tough” on here.

• DJ Johnny

Outside of the timing of Hub Arkush’s “report” all Hub was doing was his job.

How many reporters are out there everyday speculating on roster moves and potential coaching destinations and changes?

People WANT “inside info” and as an NFL ‘insider’ it is Hub’s job to provide it if he feels he has something to go on.

Don’t condemn the guy for doing his job.

The timing of his “report” was questionable imo, in light of what was going on with DA and his family.

• lefty12

You were Mack?no wonder you needed to change your name.LMFAO

• manassamauler

JONTRAIN Says:
    December 5th, 2012 at 6:54 pm

• manassamauler

lefty12 Says:
    December 5th, 2012 at 6:56 pm

You were Mack?no wonder you needed to change your name.LMFAO

>. I’ve gotten some crap about my Screen name but I’m keeping it.

• JONTRAIN

Manassamauler Says:
    December 5th, 2012 at 6:57 pm
    JONTRAIN Says:
    December 5th, 2012 at 6:54 pm

#####

Sheeeeeiiiiit…welcome to the NFL

Look, the timing was unfortunate, but in NO WAY intentional or mean spirited. We ALL feel for DA right now on a personal level.

But on a professional level, he has done a surprisingly poor job leading this football team. Therefore its only a matter of time before Mark Davis’ eyes start wandering.

• JONTRAIN

@Manassamauler

That said, I really hope the defense plays a game that would make DA proud tomorrow night

• manassamauler

JONTRAIN Says:
    December 5th, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Manassamauler Says:
    December 5th, 2012 at 6:57 pm
    JONTRAIN Says:
    December 5th, 2012 at 6:54 pm

#####

Sheeeeeiiiiit…welcome to the NFL

>> yeah its not the 3-9 record as much as its the historically bad defense and getting blown out by 28 points for 5 straight games. this has been the worst raider defense ever.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

If you are rookie HC you are always on the hot seat till u hear otherwise.

STEVE SPAGS was on the hotseat

Redskins rookie coach JIM ZORN was on the hotseat till Redskins tossed him for Mike Shannehan

Mike Singletary had a vote of confidence the season before he was canned for Jim Harbaugh

• JONTRAIN

Every HC’s seat is at least warm unless you make the playoffs. Just look at Hue. SMH.

• Jackie Bibby

209 manassamauler, yea nobody ever gave me flack for the mack name but Im a rattle snake republic fan and I just think jackie bibby is cool a$$ name like julio jones, some names just have nice rings to em. Heisenberg is pretty cool too idk if you watch breaking bad though.

• DJ Johnny

Taking the death of his father out of the equation for a moment, as far as DA having to deal with rumors of his possibly being on the hot seat…welcome to the world of big money sports.

That stuff is part of the deal. Even guys who have won Super Bowls have to worry about their jobs at some point. Gruden got canned himself and the list is long with others suffering the same.

You win or you’re out. Even if you DO win or have a decent yr. you can be gone. Hue Jackson comes to mind. Ray Rhodes comes to mind with HIS 8-8 in his one season at GB.

DA knows the deal and if he’s too sensitive to handle speculation about his job when he’s sitting at 3-9…no matter what the circumstances and limitations than he shouldn’t be coaching at this level in the first place.

DA knew what he was getting into.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

That goodness the Gruden rumor was crushed.. i was getting worried the Raiders would actually start winning again

*sarcasm*

• Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure

manassamauler Says: What’s old and what’s prime?

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Jon Gruden in rare form with the raiders

• DJ Johnny

217,

Yeah. Just when you hear something that god forbid gets the fanbase excited it gets squashed as ridiculous as quickly as possible.

Babin? Tasty free agent? NO WAY, we have no money. We do…and we know we just said we have no pass rushers but…..we’re holding out for a 20 yr. old guy who has 30 sacks and will come cheap.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Us raiders fans have been to suckky Raiders teams and losing season so much we forgot what actual real winning football looks like.. and who brought it here

• Pingback: Oakland Raiders Links That You’ll Want To See December 5, 2012 | Raiders Central | Oakland Raiders Blog

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Meant Us Raider fans have gotten used 2 succky Raiders teams/ losing seasons so much we forgot what actual real winning football looks like

and who actually brought it here.

Wait no lets build off 3-9!!!

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

These local writers are not even real raider fans.. they will do anything to crush a rumor where the Raiders might actually get better.

They dont care.. they want the raiders to stay at the level they are at. They are so gooogoo gagga over harbaugh.

Guess what. Gruden comes back to the bay… he will be bigger then HARBAUGH

• DJ Johnny

So Raiders are gonna “win one for Dennis”?

They still have Peyton Manning and a good defense and we still have the worst team in football.

• edward teach

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    December 5th, 2012 at 7:20 pm

********************************************************

They’re not Raider fans because they’re not supposed to be Raider fans. They’re supposed to report on the team, not wave pom-poms and wear a skirt. It’s not their job to write something because you want to hear it, it’s their job to write what they know.

Which is why they wrote that they didn’t have anything credible to suggest that Gruden was coming here. When they do, they’ll write it.

Look at it this way; if they jumped all over the story and speculated wildly all over the place about this and it DIDN’T happen, how do they do their jobs after that?

They would look stupid and would be viewed skeptically by the very team they are paid to cover. Not good.

I for one respect how they’ve handled it. There’s nothing to report until there’s something to report.

You want rampant speculation? Just keep reading this blog.

• http://alswingman.blogspot.com alswingman

what about the FACT (not rumor) that the Raiders have been relegated to the CFL?

• DJ Johnny

I personally enjoy rampant speculation and talking possibilities etc. It’s part of the fun; especially when we have no free agents to talk about or playoffs to consider.

I’m not a fan of bogus reports per se, but my job as a fan is to enjoy football however i want. Some enjoy dissecting the “process” of building a franchise and i do too, and some don’t mind putting their Raider joy on hold for a few more years. To each his own i guess.

I love the rush of us acquiring a big name free agent who i think will really help us. I don’t know how often i’ll be able to enjoy THAT particular aspect with this regime going forward, but there is a serious drought going on of ANY good news coming from the front office of this org. in quite some time and there sure as heck hasn’t been any on the field.

I’m kidding of course, but i’ve forgotten what it’s like to have that rush of excitement that comes from something really good happening to my favorite sports team.

For a second there this Gruden thing did it for me…then the reality set in.

Sorry, but the long and lengthy process of acquiring no name players and listening to the uninspiring words of boring coaches and front office personnel as i’m being told to be “patient”, just doesn’t do it for me.

It’s just all so boring and bad. That’s a bad combo.

• qodrn1

Raider Prediction Board

Dedicated to Al Davis, Raider duct tape (boy does it hold) and the Coliseum rodents

Week 1: Alex7: Chargers 27 Raiders 20 (22/14)
    Week 2: R8eray: Dolphins 20 Raiders 13 (35/13)
    Week 3: Plunketthead Raiders 30 Steelers 27 (34/31) R
    Week 4: Amysincharge: Denver 48-7 (37-6)
    Week 5: Klas Tjorborn: Falcons 35 Raiders 20 (23/20)
    Week 6: qodrn: Raiders 27 Jags 20 (26/23 OT) R
    Week 7: raidermarty/VaRaiderNation Raiders 27 –
    Chiefs 17 (26/16) R
    Week 8: No Winner.
    Week 9: JONGRUDEN2012: Baltimore 47 Oakland 13
    Week 10: GG: Saints 45 Raiders 17
    Week 11: To be reconstructed when I feel better
    Week 12: backstageatapupptshow: Cleveland 27 Oakland 13 – reverse winner – Albert B. Paine 20/17

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson Says: Broncos 72 Raiders 23
    GG Says: Broncos 45 Raiders 20
    qodrn: Raiders 24 Denver 23 (if Seymore replacement punches out Manning)
    Raider O Says: Denver 34 Raiders 16
    RaiderRockstar: Raiders 30 horse humpers 17

• Derek

Sorry for Allens loss, but the Raiders can’t waste another year on that scrub. While I prefer Sean Payton over Gruden, virtually any and all former superbowl winning coaches are better than Allen. Allen doesn’t even have the look of a leader, nor does he have the personality. His judgement is super suspect when you look at the lames he hired as assistants. It’s almost impossible to find a weaker group of assistants. Example: He took this leave of absence and left Knapp in charge. Come on dude ! Sticking with Knapp as a play caller and zone blocking until the season and team were both lost.

• Derek

McKenzie is another bonehead who deserves to be fireed. The guy turns his back on guys who can play ie Babin, Plax, ect yet brings in no named scrubs who do nothing but get abused.. He drafted worse than AD after he’sd lost it.

• redshirt

You idiots… this is just a PR move by Gruden’s agent to sucker BSPN or the Cowgirls into offering him MORE money for his services. That’s all.

• ESETERIK78

DJ Johnny,

“Nobody puts a gun to my head and forces me to be a fan of this org. but sometimes this org. makes me want to put a gun to my head myself.”

You really busted that out four days after a murder/suicide?

Tact, if I’ve ever seen it.

• saladfingerz

Good God, could they have telegraphed this press release any more.

It is like the Raiders PR exec standing on top of Mount Davis with a Bullhorn and screaming at the top of his lungs…

Hire Gruden…Why never…no no no, Not us.

Smacks of desperation and trying very hard to smooth over an ugly situation with the passing of DA’s father.

Using DA’s father’s passing as a leverage point in the press release is no better than canning DA for Gruden right now.

• beach

Regardless of what this guy Hub knows, he has no class for saying this the day of Allen’s father’s passing. He could have waited until next week. Like it has been mentioned by others, nobody is going to talk publicly until the season is over. Let’s see if we can win another game. It’s been a disgusting season. :(

• beach

Denver 31, Raiders 17.

• shutdown

>> this has to fuk with DAs head man. first year head coach has to hear this during the season.”
    _________________________________

Yes, but that’s not the most important part. It undermines his authority with the players, the same damn thing Al Davis did every damn year, to great detriment to the team.

If Mark Davis thinks he can light a fire under a coach with this, he’s just like his old man…and that means HE’S WRONG. I thought Mark would learn from his dad and do the opposite, that he would realize undermining a coach’s authority leads to lazy players, players plahying games, and it sets a precedent that outlasts every coach.

• DJ Johnny

ESETERIK78 Says:
    December 5th, 2012 at 9:04 pm
    DJ Johnny,

You really busted that out four days after a murder/suicide?

Tact, if I’ve ever seen it.

My apologies. I wasn’t even thinking about the Chiefs player when I said that.

That’s just an old euphemism people say when they are implying that nobody forces them to do something.

I wasn’t trying to make light of that tragedy.

If I say “My heart isn’t in the game tonight” would that be an insensitive comment as well?

Honestly, I wasn’t even thinking about the Chiefs player.

Geez.

• denverraider

I agree, Get rid of DA. Turning over coaches every one or two years has been a brilliant strategy. Let’s dump a young bright coach, universally respected as someone who has “it”, but working with a completely bare cupboard-Romac jogging around, stiffs like seymour and kelly standing around. No go to receiver, poor offensive line. I wanted Chickie back too, but Gruden was only good once he had good players. And fell off in TB after he had lesser players and was fired. We won’t know what DA has for a year ot two. Blame RM, blame Al, blame DA or whomever you want. But keep some freaking consitency for once. I’m tired of the embarrasment of this team after almost 40 years as a fan. Actually had to ask myself whether or not it made more sense to have my boys be Broncos fans. Why subject them to this? I don’t have that choice for myself. S&B is just the way it is for me. But maybe we should send DA to the Broncos. That worked out well with Shanarat. Or maybe the Chiefs or Chargers so they can kick our ass for ten years.

• http://www.o-dogg.blogspot.com omorales81

This is some pretty lazy reporting by the local beat writers. Only Rick Bucher and 95.7 were up to the task on this one. ‘Nuff said.

• GreatWhiteRaider

I love Chucky (still wear my Raiders sunvisor and NIKE pullover with pride) and the organization took a turn for the worse when he was traded. Just the thought of him back patrolling the sidelines gets me pumped up.

- I don’t see a conflict with him being the HC and Reggie being the GM. They’re buds, have an affiliation from GB. Having Chucky run the current roster can leave Reggie to tend to cap space, drafting.
    - The Raiders definitely need a commanding presence in their locker, Chucky would fit the bill. I won’t speak for everybody, but I’m definitely tired of undisciplined, self-righteous, underachieving crap from the players. That doesn’t mean I think this is all on the various coaching staffs, but…..
    - Oakland needs to rid itself of the reputation of being a coaching minimum wage sweat shot job and a place for FA players to get their “retirement contracts”.
    - I feel bad for DA, especially what he’s going through personally. Maybe this is just a bad situation for a rookie HC to be in? Rookie owner, rookie GM AND a rookie coach, that’s a lot.
    - If he does indeed walk the plank at some point this season, I hope he gets an opportunity somewhere at some point in the future, seems like a decent guy.
    - and if he is maintained, I hope he’s learned a lot this year and can bring that experience into next season with a new roster.

• NOLA Raider

Dear DA,

Repeat after me:

The quarterback must go down, and he must go down hard.

Rule No. 1.: Cheating is encouraged.
    Rule No. 2.: See Rule No. 1.

Sincerely,

Not losing by 50 tonight

p.s. For the love of god, will somebody hit Manning in the neck?!

• Pingback: Raiders unhappy with Jon Gruden rumor » Pro Football Zone