Notes, quotes and observations from Raiders-Broncos game

The Denver Broncos are churning out the victories like clockwork these days, while the Raiders are wondering when they’re going to win just one more game. Such is the nature of how these two teams are headed in opposite directions.
Raiders quarterback Carson Palmer said the Raiders aren’t real close to winning games right now, which counts as quite an understatement.
“I wouldn’t say that we’re on the cusp of it,” Palmer said. “I wouldn’t say it’s really close. Obviously, with some of the scores of these games and each week is something different. It’s been a handful of different things that have stopped us from being successful on offense, and I know you’ve just got to keep grinding, keep working.”
Head coach Dennis Allen said he liked what he saw from his team tonight.
“Our team fought tonight,” Allen said. “We came up on the short end of the stick. The Denver Broncos were the better team tonight, but our guys fought and that’s what I want to see the remaining three games of the year. I want to see our guys fight and compete because that’s what it takes to win in this league.”

– Tight end Brandon Myers caught one pass for 7 yards on Thursday night. That’s quite a turnaround from the 14 for 130 he recorded against the Cleveland Browns four days earlier.
The Broncos did a nice job of keeping tabs on Myers the entire game. Palmer targeted Myers only twice all night. On the one Myers didn’t catch, cornerback Champ Bailey intercepted the pass and returned it 18 yards.

– Rookie Rod Streater turned in another solid game. He caught four passes for 100 yards, including a nice grab of a pass in double coverage that turned into a 58-yard gain.
Streater amassed 96 yards receiving against the Browns and quietly is turning into Oakland’s most-reliable receiver.
Fellow rookie Juron Criner caught two passes for 24 yards. The only other pass thrown his way was right on the money, but Criner failed to haul it in.
For the record, it would have counted as a nice catch by Criner. I’m sure he’ll be the first to admit that he should have caught the ball. However, it’s likely that it won’t be considered a drop.
Darrius Heyward-Bey and Denarius Moore combined for nine catches for 125 yards. Heyward-Bey turned one of his receptions into a 56-yard touchdown by making a nice move near the sideline and finding a clear lane to the end zone.

– Running back Darren McFadden finally made his much-awaited return after missing four straight games with a high-ankle sprain.
As it turned out, McFadden looked no better than he did the first eight games when he averaged 3.3 yards per carry.
McFadden broke free for a 36-yard run at one point, but he averaged only 1.6 yards on his 10 other rushes.
Meanwhile, the Broncos backs racked up 143 yards on 36 carries, with Knowshon Moreno totaling 119.
“We wanted to give him an opportunity to get the ball and we did that … ,” Allen said. “The touchdown down there in the red zone on the screen play (to McFadden) was an outstanding

– The Broncos controlled the ball for a whopping 37 minutes, 19 seconds Thursday night. That’s one of the many benefits of having Manning at the control and the ability to complete a high percentage of passes.
Manning completed 26 of 36 passes for 310 yards and one touchdown. The Raiders sacked Manning three times, but almost every time the Broncos needed to convert a third-down play, Manning found an open receiver and kept alive drives.
Palmer actually finished with a higher passer rating than Palmer, for what it’s worth, which isn’t much. He completed 19 of 30 for 273 yards and two touchdowns.
Palmer’s decent showing was undone by the interception and a fumble at his own 2-yard line, which set up a Broncos touchdown that turned the game into a one-sided affair.
“Being backed up like that, I’ve got to throw the ball out of bounds,” Palmer said.

– Cornerback Phillip Adams did quite a fine job in extensive action tonight, with starter Michael Huff leaving the game with a wrist injury.
On one play, Adams recovered on a play that looked to be a sure touchdown and made a diving interception at the goal line.
“I was just doing what I was told to do,” Adams said. “It wasn’t anything too crazy.”
Adams played much better than Ron Bartell, the other starting cornerback. Time and again, Manning went after Bartell, and he enjoyed great success.
It’s unclear the extent of Huff’s injury. However, Adams made a convincing case for more playing time the final three games.
“I just keep working,” Adams said. “I just keep working every day and I try to put myself in the best positions possible for my teammates. They hold me accountable, and I hold them accountable. I always want to be where I need to be for them.”

– Second-year quarterback Terrelle Pryor was among the 46 players active for the Raiders for the second straight game. And, for the second straight game, Pryor did not play a single down.
At some point, the Raiders need to take a look at Pryor, especially if a game reaches the point where the outcome has been decided. That time should have been when the Broncos extended their lead to 26-7 late in the third quarter.
As it were, Palmer played the entire game for the 13th straight time.
“We’ve had a package in for Terrelle in both games,” Allen said. “But, again, like I said, we had 47 plays in the game tonight, so the situation didn’t play out. Terrelle will continue to be on our active game-day roster, and we’ll continue to carry a package of plays for him.”

– Allen spoke with the media for the first time since he returned from Texas, where he was with his family as his father passed away.
Allen departed for Texas after the Browns game Sunday night and returned Wednesday morning. His father, Grady, died Tuesday morning at the age of 66.
“I went home on Sunday and took my father off life support, and that’s not easy to do,” Allen said. “So, was it hard? Yeah, it was hard. But I know my father would want me to be here with this football team. And I wanted to be here with this football team. I’m sure you guys can imagine that it wasn’t an easy situation.”
Allen received widespread support from the Raiders, other teams and fans during his trying time.
“A ton,” Allen said. “A ton. I received a lot of support from a lot of different people. This organization has been outstanding to me, as far as that’s concerned. The players, the coaches, as well as countless friends, family, even people around the league, have been very supportive of this situation.”

Steve Corkran

• VanHeathen30

WTF has Mark davis been doing? He’s a grown azz man that has been “employed” by an NFL team for his entire adult life, and he has ZERO idea what the hell is going on…

• Al_is_theraiders

Trying days…ugh. Not sure I want to open my Christmas presents…oh wait never mind I still do.

• R8drinOK

DJ Johnny Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 9:51 am
    …more on Hub Arkush today. The host Mark Spiegel said that the Raiders need someone like Gruden who is so popular with the fanbase.

He said “Last night in Oakland was just a disaster. They were honoring all their hall of famers, at home on national tv against a hated rival and they come out and lay an egg like that? That team needs serious help and you’d think a guy like Gruden comin in there just makes sense”.

Hub: “Well I really think that’s one of the reasons they are looking at trying to get Gruden back. One thing Gruden likes though is a quarterback and the Raiders just don’t have one right now so I don’t know what they’re gonna do about that, but i’m standing behind my story guys…i didn’t just make this up. (laffs). I think there’s still a ways to go with this and other teams are gonna try and lure Gruden to come, but at the end of the day i think Jon Gruden will be with theOakland Raiders next season.”.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

BTW thanks for posting this info DJ…gives me hope

• raidersince87

what we need to do is let TP6 get on the field to see if he can be our quarterback moving forward or if we need to draft a franchise quarterback. palmer is getting older and is average and turn-over prone at best. I have a friend that was born in ohio and moved out here. iv’e watched games with him. even when palmer was putting up big yardage and had spectacular wr talent around him, he always found a way to lose.

• LA to TheBay

To be fair, Bergstrom was brought in to be a guard and he’s essentially a 4th round rookie.

I’m not going to do any more speculation or wishful thinking. Whatever happens, happens.

We have a long week and we SHOULD take that as an opportunuity to get backups up to speed.

Our next opponent is KC right?

Ok, so you guys worried about a 50 point blowout if we start TP should relax. No way we lose to KC by any more than 10 points.

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

“Palmer is not a leader did you notice after every series Manning was talking with the offense on the sidelines. while Palmer sits on the bench alone.”

Palmer is a leader he is just not as good as Manning and he knows that….Who is as good as Manning be real, guys like that come along once a lifetime so is it really a fair comparison?

Would you compare Mozart to Kid Rock?

• R8drinOK

Al_is_theraiders Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 9:59 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I hear ya..hard to enjoy December when the Raiders have reached this level of sucking…I was furious, embarrassed and frustrated all at the same time. Can you image how the Raider HOF members were feeling…jeez

• LA to TheBay

Palmer isn’t doing anything at the line of scrimmage either. It’s always 1, 2, 3 go. No variance in cadence. Guys were teeing off on him and that’s not all on the O Line.

• DMAC

========

Same schit, different toilet.

• SilverNBlackPA

2) Chance Warmack, G, Alabama
    3) Sam Montgomery, DE, LSU
    4) Alec Ogletree, MLB, Georgia

• LA to TheBay

Can you image how the Raider HOF members were feeling…jeez

—–

I was embarrassed for them. For myself. We put up a fight though. We’re just not that good.

Several guys showed me they want to be Raiders next year.

Streater is a guy to keep your eye on. Negative Nancys in here will caution one before annointing a guy, which is fair.

But I’ve had a good look at everyone and have been keeping my eye on Streater. He’s gonna be special.

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

If guys like Manning grew on trees and there were 5 of them every draft I could see everyone’s point BUT seriously how often does a player like Manning come along?

Palmer is a pretty good QB he is NOT Manning or Brady or Rogers OK folks lets get that straight.

But he is also not as crappy as Sanchez or Matt Cassel or Jason Campbell.

He is an average QB like Joe Flaco or Matt Stafford and you can win with guys like that if you have talent around them and we clearly do NOT!

• raidersince87

the constant losing has us setting the bar low. what we call talented and gifted players on our team, these same players would be average on another team. we need to get rid of our core group of players and start over there.
    players that should be traded or shown the door:
    tommy kelly
    richard seymour
    huff
    rolando mclain
    palmer
    mcfadden
    barnes.

i think this list would be a good start.

• LA to TheBay

Last night showed me we have talent but terrible coaching on D.

Tarver’s plays suck. he rolls coverage with nobody to cover up the area vacated by the DB. Like all the time. If the pressure doesn’t get there (as it often doesn’t), guys are wide open in the middle. I can see why he sends 5 and 6 as often as he does because our front four hasn’t been getting the job done.

That said, Bryant and Lamarr are keepers. Get a beastly NT (like we’ve all been saying for years) and another edge rusher. Will be able to move guys around and get mismatches.

• Raider-in-PA

But he is also not as crappy as Sanchez or Matt Cassel or Jason Campbell.

———————
    Agreed, 666… Could always be worse, Boller could still be our starter leftover from last year! But also could be a he!! of a lot better too!

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

• LA to TheBay

Team MUST HAVES in 2013:

2 Starting CBs

1 starting FS

1 starting MLB

1 elite DE

1 starting RT

1 starter Interior OL

There are other holes, sure, but these are the most critical.

• raidersince87

i think teo could do for a defense what willis did in sf. that could be huge for us. but we desperately need a pass rusher too.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Wow ….. where do you even begin?

Palmer has been down right unwatchable during this streak of futility and losses.

During the six game losing streak palmer has accounted for 12 turnover?!?!?1

he seems absolutely helpless to stop the bleeding. Last night after another errant near pick carson had the look of a defenseless kid (baby goat) being led to the slaughter house.

If players were looking for him for leadership and strength they found instead weakness and baffled bewilderment.Palmer stunk, wildly flopping about tossing balls in every direction and melting down with temper tantrums at every turn. He was roadkill

The time is now to sit him down for the remainder of the year. This six game slid has been some of the worst qb play I have seen since the jamarcuss gradkowski era.

Palmer has now dropped to a stupefying low, with a measly record of 7-16 and a mind blowing 37 turnovers!!!

He is one of the worst qbs in football as of this moment and can no longer b considered anything other than a stop gap journey man manning a soon to be open position in oakland.

• DMAC

Houston and Bryant in the middle.
    Shonasty needs to flip sides. (holds the edge well)
    Draft a nasty pass rusher or sign one.

• raidersince87

LA To TheBay Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 10:13 am
    Team MUST HAVES in 2013:

2 Starting CBs

1 starting FS

1 starting MLB

1 elite DE

1 starting RT

1 starter Interior OL

There are other holes, sure, but these are the most critical.
    ——————————-
    good post. exactly right.

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

I say the smart move is to build on these lines get a solid O-Line and get back to being a top 5 running team.

Become more stout on D and get better at Special Teams so our starting field position is not so horrible.

Then introduce a rookie at QB.

The question is how long will it take us to get to that point where we can be a team like Seattle who had a great D with a solid run game then inserted Russell Wilson successfully.

• DMAC

HC – Shaw
    OC – Norv
    DC – Romeo

• Try Some Reality

===========================================

Make it happen, Mark! Heads will roll…

• raidersince87

iv’e lost total faith in the middle of our d. seymour, kelley, and recently mcclain have been unable to stop the run or put pressure up the middle for years. then we change coaches every year. things that make you go ???

• R8drinOK

LA to TheBay Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 10:07 am
    Can you image how the Raider HOF members were feeling…jeez

—–

Several guys showed me they want to be Raiders next year.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree they did fight..just hated seeing the Broncos highlight show the NFL network put on. Blah blah Broncos this blah blah Peyton that…wanted to puke.

Streater does look to be improving and I think Burris is going to be a keeper.

• Try Some Reality

LA To TheBay Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 10:13 am
    Team MUST HAVES in 2013:

2 Starting CBs

======================================

What about Adams?

• DMAC

I’m bringing back Hanson to strictly cover the slot. Thats it.

• Try Some Reality

I think Burris is going to be a keeper.

========================================

Think so too. Funny to see folks get down on him in here when he isn’t perfect. I’d say he’s doing alright for a mid-round rook, wouldn’t you?

• zopi

First of all, nobody knows how Pryor is going to do as an NFL qb, because nobody has seen play in a real game. Whatever your opinion of him, it’s all speculation. If we go by the way he is getting treated by the current ZarMac/Junior regime, then I guess all of his detractors are right.

The point with Pryor is that if you believe he is not worthy of being an NFL qb, i.e. “can’t throw,” “throws like Tebow,” etc., then cut him loose, why waste a roster spot when you have so many other needs?

Why would you keep a player that you don’t have any plans to use? It’s not like it’s going to be a financial burden if you cut him.

The Raiders are doing a great disservice to Pryor and to the rest of the team by keeping him strapped to the sidelines, inactive, or playing the scout team.

The Raiders are not going to trade or waive Carcux simply because of the major cap hit they’re going to take, in other words we’re stuck with him, and if you still believe he’s the qb that’s going to take us to the playoffs and win a championship, that’s where the Carcux apologists are wrong. Keeping Carcux around is not the “smart” thing to do. In fact, the losses will only continue to mount with him, as well, his apologists will continue to give him a free pass.

• DMAC

Try Some Reality Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 10:18 am

LA To TheBay Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 10:13 am
    Team MUST HAVES in 2013:

2 Starting CBs

======================================

What about Adams?
    ========

Interesting to see how they handle Spencer?
    IMO, he was playing the best out of our CBs before going to down w/ an injury.

• DMAC

Try Some Reality Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 10:19 am

I think Burris is going to be a keeper.

========================================

=======

And playing every snap.

• SilverNBlackPA

Draft Jarvis Jones and find a NT in free agency or the draft and go to a 3-4.

Bryant, Houston, Bilukidi can all play 3-4 end. Burris and Jones coming off the edges can be a pass rushing force. Wheeler and somebody (rookie or FA) in the middle. I think it could work and work well.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Let me also say this.

Watching peyton manning a qb i think of as one of the best of his generation, he is clearly not the same guy in terms of arm strenght. he has transformed his game from the quick strike rocket arm football into the dink and dunk game mangmemnt master.

Even with manning a shell what of what he was, HE IS 50 TIMES THE QB CARSON IS!!!

WHERE THE FUGG ARE THOSE USELESS PALMER CREAZED WORSHIPPERS THAT TRIED TO TELL US THE CARSOBN WAS ELITE LIKE MANNING?????????

• DMAC

==========

Not I
    CP3 is not the answer

• raidersince87

Burris has improved greatly since the start of the season. hes a keeper. along with our receiving corps. we just need a young franchise to grow up with them. dmac cant seem to figure out the zbs or stay healthy. we need a true blocking fullback and maybe give reece a shot.

• DMAC

If we stick w/ the zone next year.
    Marcel Reece will be our starting RB. No doubt!

• R8drinOK

Try Some Reality Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 10:19 am
    I think Burris is going to be a keeper.

========================================

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Definitely, he’s made some rookie mistakes but he has brought some attitude to the LB core. Wheeler’s play has not been as good as earlier in the year but he should stay as well.

• JT

I think any coach would like to come to Oakland. RMac is a GM that will work with his coach.

Raiders will have a top 5 pick.

Gruden will want a QB. Palmer is not a Gruden type QB. #6 may be. So if Gruden comes, we may see a brand new offense next year.

New QB, find some one in FA.
    Trade Dmac for draft pick.
    Go back to power running?

Does DA merit one more season? A lot of questions and not clear answers

• DMAC

TP6 must play against the Queefs.
    Why?
    We need to see what he has to offer in a real game.
    We’re evaluating players for next season.

If we lose, who the fk cares, we suck anyways and we’ll get closer to getting a higher draft pick.

If we win, you people that want DA back can at least say you swept the Queefs in 2012.
    lol

• raidersince87

if he can stay healthy. whens the last time we had a running back we can count on week in and week out. season after season. the franchise gots us lowering the bar further and further. we want our fb as hb. and this is after he gets hurt.

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

Like it or not Palmer haters he is here to stay and he will start next year too!

So all of you crying and whining and acting like 13 year old girls crying on each other shoulders on a blog is NOT going to change that….keep crying however its great entertainment for the rest of us!!

• inonewordraider

hire hc shaw

sign rodgers cromartie and avril
    draft te’o

=playoffs 2013

• morilla

Peyton one of the best of “his generation”?

You on drugs? He’s arguably the best QB of all time.

• DMAC

FK da Colts!!!!!!!!
    1st you have PM, than you have Luck.

• JT

Does DA merit coming back.

I say NO!

Team has regresed and they havent showed improvement, just the same up and down play.

I say it will be the same in 2013.

• raidersince87

tp6 HAS to play at some point. we have to see if hes our qb of the future or not. we have to stop inserting stop-gap solutions at qb. hopefully regMc can do a lot better with getting us some talented FOOTBALL players (not just talented guys) than last management did.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Morilla Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 10:33 am

Peyton one of the best of “his generation”?

You on drugs? He’s arguably the best QB of all time.
    ———————–
    Yeah, Best QB/OC maybe ever. Reminds me of Johnny U. Too smart for ya.

• R8drinOK

morilla Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 10:33 am
    Peyton one of the best of “his generation”?

You on drugs? He’s arguably the best QB of all time.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Maybe… only one Super Bowl ring and his record against the Patriots in the playoffs would suggest otherwise.

Can’t stand the guy now that he’s wearing orange and blue.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

TP6 ….the time is perfect.

The raiders will be at home taking on fellow bottom feeder kansas city.

The chiefs present a pefect opportunity for pryor to play n a low pressure environment against a team that he will not have to beat in a shoot out. The cheifs are offensively challenged, this means even our pathetic defense may have chance to keep them under 24 points. So if pryor can lead a couple of td drives we stand a chance to win the game.

KC turns the ball over a ton, they are a mess at corner, and they can be gashed in the run game.

Carolina gave them fits with cam attacking the side lines in the short passing game and deep in the seams of the secondary. he found open spaces because the kc defense was preoccupied with running game of stewart willaims and newton.

We could implement a similar game plan for pryor. Misdirection found newton wide open running lanes, and pryor can do the same thing. Then let pryor use his cannon arm to go down filed on boot action or zone read fakes. DHB and Moore will feast on the dbs.

There is no reason for pryor not to start for the remainder of the year…..unless allen is just an idiot