Notes, quotes and observations from Raiders-Broncos game

The Denver Broncos are churning out the victories like clockwork these days, while the Raiders are wondering when they’re going to win just one more game. Such is the nature of how these two teams are headed in opposite directions.
Raiders quarterback Carson Palmer said the Raiders aren’t real close to winning games right now, which counts as quite an understatement.
“I wouldn’t say that we’re on the cusp of it,” Palmer said. “I wouldn’t say it’s really close. Obviously, with some of the scores of these games and each week is something different. It’s been a handful of different things that have stopped us from being successful on offense, and I know you’ve just got to keep grinding, keep working.”
Head coach Dennis Allen said he liked what he saw from his team tonight.
“Our team fought tonight,” Allen said. “We came up on the short end of the stick. The Denver Broncos were the better team tonight, but our guys fought and that’s what I want to see the remaining three games of the year. I want to see our guys fight and compete because that’s what it takes to win in this league.”

– Tight end Brandon Myers caught one pass for 7 yards on Thursday night. That’s quite a turnaround from the 14 for 130 he recorded against the Cleveland Browns four days earlier.
The Broncos did a nice job of keeping tabs on Myers the entire game. Palmer targeted Myers only twice all night. On the one Myers didn’t catch, cornerback Champ Bailey intercepted the pass and returned it 18 yards.

– Rookie Rod Streater turned in another solid game. He caught four passes for 100 yards, including a nice grab of a pass in double coverage that turned into a 58-yard gain.
Streater amassed 96 yards receiving against the Browns and quietly is turning into Oakland’s most-reliable receiver.
Fellow rookie Juron Criner caught two passes for 24 yards. The only other pass thrown his way was right on the money, but Criner failed to haul it in.
For the record, it would have counted as a nice catch by Criner. I’m sure he’ll be the first to admit that he should have caught the ball. However, it’s likely that it won’t be considered a drop.
Darrius Heyward-Bey and Denarius Moore combined for nine catches for 125 yards. Heyward-Bey turned one of his receptions into a 56-yard touchdown by making a nice move near the sideline and finding a clear lane to the end zone.

– Running back Darren McFadden finally made his much-awaited return after missing four straight games with a high-ankle sprain.
As it turned out, McFadden looked no better than he did the first eight games when he averaged 3.3 yards per carry.
McFadden broke free for a 36-yard run at one point, but he averaged only 1.6 yards on his 10 other rushes.
Meanwhile, the Broncos backs racked up 143 yards on 36 carries, with Knowshon Moreno totaling 119.
“We wanted to give him an opportunity to get the ball and we did that … ,” Allen said. “The touchdown down there in the red zone on the screen play (to McFadden) was an outstanding

– The Broncos controlled the ball for a whopping 37 minutes, 19 seconds Thursday night. That’s one of the many benefits of having Manning at the control and the ability to complete a high percentage of passes.
Manning completed 26 of 36 passes for 310 yards and one touchdown. The Raiders sacked Manning three times, but almost every time the Broncos needed to convert a third-down play, Manning found an open receiver and kept alive drives.
Palmer actually finished with a higher passer rating than Palmer, for what it’s worth, which isn’t much. He completed 19 of 30 for 273 yards and two touchdowns.
Palmer’s decent showing was undone by the interception and a fumble at his own 2-yard line, which set up a Broncos touchdown that turned the game into a one-sided affair.
“Being backed up like that, I’ve got to throw the ball out of bounds,” Palmer said.

– Cornerback Phillip Adams did quite a fine job in extensive action tonight, with starter Michael Huff leaving the game with a wrist injury.
On one play, Adams recovered on a play that looked to be a sure touchdown and made a diving interception at the goal line.
“I was just doing what I was told to do,” Adams said. “It wasn’t anything too crazy.”
Adams played much better than Ron Bartell, the other starting cornerback. Time and again, Manning went after Bartell, and he enjoyed great success.
It’s unclear the extent of Huff’s injury. However, Adams made a convincing case for more playing time the final three games.
“I just keep working,” Adams said. “I just keep working every day and I try to put myself in the best positions possible for my teammates. They hold me accountable, and I hold them accountable. I always want to be where I need to be for them.”

– Second-year quarterback Terrelle Pryor was among the 46 players active for the Raiders for the second straight game. And, for the second straight game, Pryor did not play a single down.
At some point, the Raiders need to take a look at Pryor, especially if a game reaches the point where the outcome has been decided. That time should have been when the Broncos extended their lead to 26-7 late in the third quarter.
As it were, Palmer played the entire game for the 13th straight time.
“We’ve had a package in for Terrelle in both games,” Allen said. “But, again, like I said, we had 47 plays in the game tonight, so the situation didn’t play out. Terrelle will continue to be on our active game-day roster, and we’ll continue to carry a package of plays for him.”

– Allen spoke with the media for the first time since he returned from Texas, where he was with his family as his father passed away.
Allen departed for Texas after the Browns game Sunday night and returned Wednesday morning. His father, Grady, died Tuesday morning at the age of 66.
“I went home on Sunday and took my father off life support, and that’s not easy to do,” Allen said. “So, was it hard? Yeah, it was hard. But I know my father would want me to be here with this football team. And I wanted to be here with this football team. I’m sure you guys can imagine that it wasn’t an easy situation.”
Allen received widespread support from the Raiders, other teams and fans during his trying time.
“A ton,” Allen said. “A ton. I received a lot of support from a lot of different people. This organization has been outstanding to me, as far as that’s concerned. The players, the coaches, as well as countless friends, family, even people around the league, have been very supportive of this situation.”

Steve Corkran

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Mr. Prez,

Good day sir. Did you guys have fun with Chico?

• DMAC

Raider O Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 11:23 am

Mr. Prez,

Good day sir. Did you guys have fun with Chico?
    =====

Chico = no show
    Met Dutch though.
    Got wasted w/ Brien and Hwnrdr though.

• fingers

746… Their are a few players coming back that I wish wernt…. Like a branch….he got a big contract now can’t tackle or cover …. I’m hoping he pulls out of his slump

• bcz24

740.SilverNBlackPA Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 11:12 am
    DMAC Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 11:11 am
    Last season, Barnes was our weakest link on the O-line.
    This year everyone on the O-line is garbage w/ the exception of Veldy.

+++++++++++++

Wiz has come on really strong after a disastrous start to the season in my eyes. He’s really picking up the position.
    ********************
    Our guards are the problem, Veldy is solid and improved from a shakey start in the new scheme, Wiz has improved drastically in the new scheme and even Barnes is ‘ok’ when he isn’t facing the leagues most dominant pass rusher. The guards have been terrible. Coop was all done heading into last year, and Brisiel was a big miss. He hasn’t been anything close to what he graded out as last year.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

That’s what happens when you bring the wife. You have no fun.

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

Raider Mayonaise

Not sure who you are or why you think you can just butt into my posts but listen up little newbie unless you want to look like the rest of the tards with egg on your face daily beat down administered you might want to shut your little pie hole until you have earned the right to speak at me little man…you got that boy?

• Ghost to the Post

Michael Bush. He was 60 percent of the offense when we lost McFadden. Wimbley was at least getting to the QB. Louis Murphy was looking like a star until he took that hit. Seymour was healthier and actually still trying. And a few others. It’s not the same. This team is lost and without any identity that comes from the head coach. Most of us knew what the results were going to be this summer when they named Greg Knapp the Offensive Coordinator. There are a lot of players and coachs and GM’s that need to take a long look in the mirror and and have a real come to jesus meeting with themselves. I was asked at a game a few weeks ago what this team needed. And the only answer I could give was T n T or C4. It’s a total do over now.

• bcz24

753.fingers Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 11:26 am
    **************
    Mike Mayock says he feels Branch is the best tackling safety in the league. Just saying… this guy gets paid to evaluate NFL talent, and has been part of the league for longer than a lot of us have been alive.

• Try Some Reality

SilverNBlackPA Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 11:06 am
    Your so narrow minded and full of racism that you cant enjoy the fact we have a decent QB in Oakland something we can and will build around.

++++++

LMAO

It’s racist to want to see what Pryor can do?

I have other people who say it’s racist to want to keep CP3 in.

WHich is it?

Maybe it has nothing to do with race.

==========================================

It isn’t. Most Raider fans just want the best guy in there but this board seems infactuated with race. I’m game for playing Houdini at QB to finish the season.

• fingers

Adams might deserve another look….Huff, I’ve lost faith in him

• Marks hair

I’d grab whisenhunt real quick if he gets fired

• Raider Mayne

Yep, Tim tebows teammates in Denver and New York are all behind him…. Any moron with eyes knows it was the Denver defense that helped tebow….they lost 4 of their last 5 and only backed into the playoffs cause our defense couldn’t stop a bunch of blind Nuns

=================================
    Exactly Tim Tebow is GARBAGE . But yet he still has won more Playoffs wins than a 10 year vet that supposedly ELITE !

• DMAC

bcz24 Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 11:28 am

753.fingers Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 11:26 am
    **************
    =======

Branch could always tackle, but can’t cover for schit.

• nycraider

MAC Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 11:14 am
    fingers Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 11:12 am

What the Fk is a stat padding TD?…are you suggesting Palmer shouldn’t try and score tds when behind?… Or that the receivers shouldn’t try and catch passes when our teams behind?….that’s one of the dumbest comments I’ve seen on this blog…..all Qbs thrown Ints…..Manning threw one from about the same distance from the goal as Palmers was… Bree’s throws them… Favre threw them….if you don’t think a Qb should try and make up ground your an idiot…the problem is this teams so horrible making a comeback is almost impossible….. After the first donkey drive last night the Raiders were behind…. So are you saying ever point after that is padding stats…. What Fkn, nonsense ….if you don’t like Palmer just say so …. You could have Jesus Christ at Qb behind this team and he’d have to ” pad his stats….
    =======

It isn’t just an INT.
    It’s when the INT occur during critical part of the game.
    Real talk!
    ——————
    CP3 qb rating for the season in the first quarter is in the low 60s, the raiders havent scored a point in the 1st quarter for the last 10 games. Typically Palmer and the raiders struggle early fall behind and then Palmer tends to play better. Make your own assumptions , but Palmer’s slow starts combined with interceptions at critical points in the game are pause for concern

• Marks hair

Mayock is wrong all the time and he is not paid to evaluate talent.. he’s paid to be a talking head. people like to hear him talk.. If you could really a value 8 you’d be getting paid for it as a GM

• DMAC

Why is Huff playing CB?
    He sux.
    Isn’t 2 much better at FS either.

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

When a man is on a football blog talking about another mans balls it means your homosexual tenancies are showing again (yes I am talking to you RaiderMayonaise)

Now go back to the glory hole where things go in your mouth because most of us here are sick of whats coming out of it.

• RaiderDanny

Fire everyone!! Let Gruden pick his own staff and players!

• Marks hair

Wow everytime I talk into this phone it hears everything wrong

• bcz24

***************
    Sounds awfully familiar, either you are quoting, or you ARE mistic.

I don’t recall anyone calling Palmer ‘Elite’. Saying you think he is a better QB than Jason Campbell is not calling him Elite.

• fingers

Bcz… Mayock said Branch is one of the best tackling safety’s in the league ?… This year?… Then I disagree with him and I don’t care how long he’s been alive… Before this year I was a big Branch fan ….that’s why my post says ” I’m hoping he pulls out of his slump”…

• DMAC

Well……….

At least I get to enjoy some well played b-ball from the Warriors for the rest of the season.

• DMAC

Go Dubs!

• fingers

Branch is one of those ” regressed ” players we’ve been talking about …. This year his tackling has been horrible

• Raider Mayne

===============
    DOnt get mad cause you got called out for your Gay love affair with palmer . Obviously it hurts because it’s the truth ! Palmers a loser get over it ! btch!

• nycraider

I laugh at how some of you where calling out branch and the entire D weeks ago. How everyone on D had to go. Now mayock says branch is good and you reverse your opinion. Branch did not deserve the franchise tag and did not deserve a long term contract.

• Marks hair

Branch=poo

• fingers

Palmers not elite….. He’s just better than a lot of the Qb,s we’ve had in Oakland for a while ….his biggest problem is our teams horrible so when he throws an int ( and they all throw them) it hurts more because our defense can stop anybody…. I was surprised they were able to hold the Donks to a couple field goals … That was a major victory for our defense

• Marks hair

You know what a safety that can tackle but not cover is called? A special teamer

• Marks hair

But even when the defense plays okay Palmer chokes

• LA to TheBay

Palmer sucks. He’s servicable and that’s it. Would need a stout O Line and WRs that catch and this and that but when it comes down to it, he’s just not clutch.

He’s been a warrior out there and put up a hell of a fight. Probably our best player on O throughout the year but that doesn’t say much.

I don’t fault Hue for the trade. It had to happen.

If nothing else, to validate the trade, you’d have to keep the O and HC from last year intact. We didn’t and this is the result.

We have to hit the reset button on a lot of positions. Coaches too.

• nycraider

I actually think MM34 is a good tackler, but that doesnt mean hes a good safety. branch makes the good hit occasionally but he’s been part of the problem not the solution. Certainly not worthy of a long term contract when a team is rebuilding

• Raider Mayne

================
    I’m just a Raider fiend from San diego that hates watching us lose . And I hate when people hype up Palmer like he is Joe Montana . He sucks and is a loser. I don’t want the Raider to be losers any more . The Chargers suck this year and I can’t talk sh!t cause we suck even more . PAlmer has lost more games for us (TB,ATL,Clev,DVR)than he has won !

• LA to TheBay

I disagree about Branch. He’s been covering up a lot of other guys mistakes. he had one pretty bad one that I can remember vs. Miami. Other than that, he’s solid.

Should really be used like a 5th LB. Tarver doesn’t know how to use his guys and is even worse at drawing up plays and creating gameplans.

• MikieG

fingers Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 6:51 am

We’re paying for more than a decade of terrible draft picks….. The bill has come due….

+++++++++++++++++++
    “Everybody, sooner or later, sits down to a banquet of consequences.”
    - Robert Louis Stevenson

Its a isht sandwich…one that we have all been feasting on for the past decade…and they STILL expect us to have patience…We have no choice. You can’t Unlike your team. It is what it is..so eat up!

• VanHeathen30

MM34 is a joke…
    Kid talks big and goes into hiding come Sunday.
    Mis reads the ball in flight and has marginal instincts for the ball…

• DMAC

=======

I really think Fox took it easy on us last night.

• MikieG

Is there any way we can hire Mayock as Director of Scouting or something similar? Dude knows football players…There is no doubt about it!

• Marks hair

Should have traded Palmer McFadden and branch before the trade deadline and before people knew they suck

• fingers

As far as Palmer throwing ints at critical times…. With this team when isn’t it a critical time?….I forget what the stat was but the Donks had the ball a lot longer than we did….I believe their we’re at least 3 drops that Palmer put right on the numbers or right in the hands of receivers last night…. MCFadden dropped one the cost them a huge gain

• bcz24

771.fingers Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 11:34 am
    ****************
    He said it last night. Went on a 2 minute diatribe about him. I didn’t say I agreed with him. I also agree that Branch has regressed this year, BUT I think he takes way more heat than he deserves. He hussles to the ball, and a lot of times it looks like he was the guy beat when he wasn’t at all. I might give the guy some extra slack because he is a local dude, but I certainly agree that he hasn’t played to his pay.

• nycraider

LA To TheBay Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 11:44 am

————-
    was branch out the TB game? seem to remember him getting toasted or having martin run right by him a couple of times..maybe I’m getting confused..

• Raider Mayne

Some guys JUST WIN BABY ! Others just seem to always lose like Carson .He is better than Campbell for sure but not by much in the WINNING department…

• fingers

McFadden might need new scenery … But I agree… I’m not sure we could get much for him anymore…. He’s hurt all the Fk,n time

• LA to TheBay

—–

TB went right at Rolando and Giordanno.

Last night, Peyton went after Huff like six straight plays on opening drive.

Soon as Huff got hurt and Adams came in, we’re getting stops.

Huff must go. He’s put up 7 years of really bad tape.

• nycraider

Played to his Pay- great line and thats a big problem. Very few guys have earned their checks. Jano, Meyers, Reece, thats it in my book

• Raider Mayne

I really think Fox took it easy on us last night.

========================
    FOx and Manning did take it easy . Peyton felt sorry for us so they settled for Fg’s instead of TD’s so it would not embarress DA and friends. That’s how sad we are, when our division rivals FEEL SORRY for US!

• VanHeathen30

Fox, Manning and every team in our Division wants DA to be our HC…easy picking for them when we play.

• Marks hair

When has branch ever made plays in coverage consistently or even once in awhile and he always takes bad angles to the ball I don’t care if you can tackle if he’s taking a bad angle

• Charlie

The way the Raiders became a power was by building the lines with high picks then getting someone to carry the ball with later picks.
    Perhaps that was more Ron Wolf than Mr Davis but that is the way we did it;

Hewritt Dixon 8th round by Denver
    Clem Daniels Free Agent
    Hubbard 11th round
    Van Eegahn 3rd round
    Clarence Davis 4th round
    Banaszak 5th round
    Charlie Smith 4th round
    Don Highsmith 13th round

The only high round picks we invested on a RB in the history of the Raiders were Allen 1st, Kaufman 1st Bell 2nd and DMAC 1st.

Even Bo was a 7th rounder because of his two sport option.

Point is the game has not changed. REPEAT. IT HAS NOT CHANGED.
    Why do you think PEYTON PICKED THE BRONCOS? THEY WERE 6TH IN THE LEAGUE IN RUSHING LAST YEAR AND 4TH IN TEAM DEFENSE!!!!!!!!
    Build the lines and half the people on this blog could get yardage.
    The reclamation project success that Oakland had was a result of Upsahw, Shell, Otto, Dalby, Mosebar, Lawrence, Marvin etc. NOT COACHING OR MONEY OR MYSTIQUE!