Notes, quotes and observations from Raiders-Broncos game

The Denver Broncos are churning out the victories like clockwork these days, while the Raiders are wondering when they’re going to win just one more game. Such is the nature of how these two teams are headed in opposite directions.
Raiders quarterback Carson Palmer said the Raiders aren’t real close to winning games right now, which counts as quite an understatement.
“I wouldn’t say that we’re on the cusp of it,” Palmer said. “I wouldn’t say it’s really close. Obviously, with some of the scores of these games and each week is something different. It’s been a handful of different things that have stopped us from being successful on offense, and I know you’ve just got to keep grinding, keep working.”
Head coach Dennis Allen said he liked what he saw from his team tonight.
“Our team fought tonight,” Allen said. “We came up on the short end of the stick. The Denver Broncos were the better team tonight, but our guys fought and that’s what I want to see the remaining three games of the year. I want to see our guys fight and compete because that’s what it takes to win in this league.”

– Tight end Brandon Myers caught one pass for 7 yards on Thursday night. That’s quite a turnaround from the 14 for 130 he recorded against the Cleveland Browns four days earlier.
The Broncos did a nice job of keeping tabs on Myers the entire game. Palmer targeted Myers only twice all night. On the one Myers didn’t catch, cornerback Champ Bailey intercepted the pass and returned it 18 yards.

– Rookie Rod Streater turned in another solid game. He caught four passes for 100 yards, including a nice grab of a pass in double coverage that turned into a 58-yard gain.
Streater amassed 96 yards receiving against the Browns and quietly is turning into Oakland’s most-reliable receiver.
Fellow rookie Juron Criner caught two passes for 24 yards. The only other pass thrown his way was right on the money, but Criner failed to haul it in.
For the record, it would have counted as a nice catch by Criner. I’m sure he’ll be the first to admit that he should have caught the ball. However, it’s likely that it won’t be considered a drop.
Darrius Heyward-Bey and Denarius Moore combined for nine catches for 125 yards. Heyward-Bey turned one of his receptions into a 56-yard touchdown by making a nice move near the sideline and finding a clear lane to the end zone.

– Running back Darren McFadden finally made his much-awaited return after missing four straight games with a high-ankle sprain.
As it turned out, McFadden looked no better than he did the first eight games when he averaged 3.3 yards per carry.
McFadden broke free for a 36-yard run at one point, but he averaged only 1.6 yards on his 10 other rushes.
Meanwhile, the Broncos backs racked up 143 yards on 36 carries, with Knowshon Moreno totaling 119.
“We wanted to give him an opportunity to get the ball and we did that … ,” Allen said. “The touchdown down there in the red zone on the screen play (to McFadden) was an outstanding

– The Broncos controlled the ball for a whopping 37 minutes, 19 seconds Thursday night. That’s one of the many benefits of having Manning at the control and the ability to complete a high percentage of passes.
Manning completed 26 of 36 passes for 310 yards and one touchdown. The Raiders sacked Manning three times, but almost every time the Broncos needed to convert a third-down play, Manning found an open receiver and kept alive drives.
Palmer actually finished with a higher passer rating than Palmer, for what it’s worth, which isn’t much. He completed 19 of 30 for 273 yards and two touchdowns.
Palmer’s decent showing was undone by the interception and a fumble at his own 2-yard line, which set up a Broncos touchdown that turned the game into a one-sided affair.
“Being backed up like that, I’ve got to throw the ball out of bounds,” Palmer said.

– Cornerback Phillip Adams did quite a fine job in extensive action tonight, with starter Michael Huff leaving the game with a wrist injury.
On one play, Adams recovered on a play that looked to be a sure touchdown and made a diving interception at the goal line.
“I was just doing what I was told to do,” Adams said. “It wasn’t anything too crazy.”
Adams played much better than Ron Bartell, the other starting cornerback. Time and again, Manning went after Bartell, and he enjoyed great success.
It’s unclear the extent of Huff’s injury. However, Adams made a convincing case for more playing time the final three games.
“I just keep working,” Adams said. “I just keep working every day and I try to put myself in the best positions possible for my teammates. They hold me accountable, and I hold them accountable. I always want to be where I need to be for them.”

– Second-year quarterback Terrelle Pryor was among the 46 players active for the Raiders for the second straight game. And, for the second straight game, Pryor did not play a single down.
At some point, the Raiders need to take a look at Pryor, especially if a game reaches the point where the outcome has been decided. That time should have been when the Broncos extended their lead to 26-7 late in the third quarter.
As it were, Palmer played the entire game for the 13th straight time.
“We’ve had a package in for Terrelle in both games,” Allen said. “But, again, like I said, we had 47 plays in the game tonight, so the situation didn’t play out. Terrelle will continue to be on our active game-day roster, and we’ll continue to carry a package of plays for him.”

– Allen spoke with the media for the first time since he returned from Texas, where he was with his family as his father passed away.
Allen departed for Texas after the Browns game Sunday night and returned Wednesday morning. His father, Grady, died Tuesday morning at the age of 66.
“I went home on Sunday and took my father off life support, and that’s not easy to do,” Allen said. “So, was it hard? Yeah, it was hard. But I know my father would want me to be here with this football team. And I wanted to be here with this football team. I’m sure you guys can imagine that it wasn’t an easy situation.”
Allen received widespread support from the Raiders, other teams and fans during his trying time.
“A ton,” Allen said. “A ton. I received a lot of support from a lot of different people. This organization has been outstanding to me, as far as that’s concerned. The players, the coaches, as well as countless friends, family, even people around the league, have been very supportive of this situation.”

Steve Corkran

• LA to TheBay

You guys are retarded if you think they went easy on us. They didn’t.

They took what the D gave them. At one point in the game, it wasn’t a lot because D showed up. Pass rush better, CB play better w/ Adams. Tarver didn’t help them any.

• fingers

Bcz… I’m just talking about this year with a branch…. I thought he was a ballerina before this season…. And again… I hope he played through it….. Maybe he needs more help… Somebody back there has been blowing coverages this year… Could be coaching…

• VanHeathen30

Huff TRIED to get out of town and NOBODY wanted him at veteran prices…should have told us all we needed to know, but Al hated admitting mistakes.
    Huff needs to go back to safety for another team…

• DMAC

fingers Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 11:46 am

=======

3 and outs don’t help either.

• LA to TheBay

799.Marks hair Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 11:50 am
    When has branch ever made plays in coverage consistently or even once in awhile and he always takes bad angles to the ball I don’t care if you can tackle if he’s taking a bad angle

—-

Almost had a pick last night.

Branch has decent ball skills. Branch is a guy, much like Houston, that will look a lot better once we add some pieces and fire Tarver.

• fingers

Lol… iPhone… Ballerinas should have been Baller… Spell check can screw ya

• fingers

Dmac… Dropped passes will get you lots of 3 and outs

• LA to TheBay

802.fingers Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 11:51 am

—-

I’s a mixture.

Burris has blown a TON of plays. I know he’s a blog hero, but he makes a lot of rookie mistakes.

Also, Tarver’s play calling is terrible.

He leaves these huge voids in the middle.

• Marks hair

That Palmer trade really is killing us we need that top second round pick this year we certainly could have used a first round pick last year.. And clearly Palmer hasnt helped us win any games.. one of the best qb drafts in history and we gave up our pick…

• DMAC

LA to TheBay Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 11:49 am

was branch out the TB game? seem to remember him getting toasted or having martin run right by him a couple of times..maybe I’m getting confused..

—–

TB went right at Rolando and Giordanno.

Last night, Peyton went after Huff like six straight plays on opening drive.

Soon as Huff got hurt and Adams came in, we’re getting stops.

Huff must go. He’s put up 7 years of really bad tape.
    ==========

Huff needs 2 go!!!

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

Calm down little Mayonnaise guy you were the one talking about a mans balls on another mans face we all saw your homosexual tenancies and we wont tell your buds.

Like I said little man stay out of my post I know your attracted to me I may seem like a cool guy that you want to emulate but I am not one of your pillow biter buddies.

• QCRAIDER

COMMITMENT TO EXCREMENT.

• DMAC

nycraider Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 11:49 am

Played to his Pay- great line and thats a big problem. Very few guys have earned their checks. Jano, Meyers, Reece, thats it in my book
    =======

Don’t forget Houston

• nycraider

LA To TheBay Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 11:52 am
    799.Marks hair Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 11:50 am

—-

Almost had a pick last night.

—————-
    Branch 4 Ints in 5 years..I guess he s no ed reed but at least he’s not bartell either

• fingers

La to the bay… I hear ya … You couldn’t get Tarver outta Oakland fast enough for me

• nycraider

DMAC Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 11:55 am
    nycraider Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 11:49 am

=======

Don’t forget Houston
    ————-
    agreed..good call

• Marks hair

Manning chose Denver over San Francisco because Elway allowed Manning to be the offense of coordinator he designed the whole thing he would have had to learn the West Coast offense in San Francisco..

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNoi_wwzbtQ Zymurge

dr_robert Says:
    December 6th, 2012 at 10:27 pm
    19/30 273 yards 2 td’s 1 int

if pryor had that stat line, missdick would cream his pants.

=====

Excellent point indeed. About 20 people in here would be raving about how much better Pryor was than CP ever could be with those kind of number. Sadly, we’ll never see that irony because Pryor lacks the capacity to put those numbers up.

• R8drinOK

Raider Mayne Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 11:47 am
    Some guys JUST WIN BABY ! Others just seem to always lose like Carson .He is better than Campbell for sure but not by much in the WINNING department…

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Name one Raider on offense that has played well all year? I’m not defending Carson’s mistakes but he is the only player on offense that has been better than average. Marcel and Streater have flashed potential…but that’s it.

• Marks hair

Branch got embarrassed last night like he always does

• LA to TheBay

I feel for Allen, what with his dad and having to deal with this dumpster fire of a team. He shares responsibility though.

Allen seems like a guy that could turn things around like a Tom Cable but needs somebody to coach the offense. I think Allen could turn it around given another 2 years.

However, the fanbase is impatient, the owner is impatient and we have so many concerns off the field that are going to require us to get butts in the seats to even stay in Oakland.

Allen will probably get canned and it won’t be Reggie’s call.

• Dakota

Anyone fired, cut or off themselves after last night?

• fingers

I understand the frustration with Palmers ints…. When you lose they standout….. The Donks won last night so Mannings int went unnoticed

• DMAC

Marks hair Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 11:56 am

=========

You could be right, but at the end of the day, it’s all about the Benjamin’s baby!

• LA to TheBay

—-

Myers.

• RaiderDebo

LA To TheBay Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 11:42 am
    Palmer sucks. He’s servicable and that’s it. Would need a stout O Line and WRs that catch and this and that but when it comes down to it, he’s just not clutch.

He’s been a warrior out there and put up a hell of a fight. Probably our best player on O throughout the year but that doesn’t say much.

I don’t fault Hue for the trade. It had to happen.

If nothing else, to validate the trade, you’d have to keep the O and HC from last year intact. We didn’t and this is the result.

We have to hit the reset button on a lot of positions. Coaches too.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I hated that trade the day it happened. But I’d resigned myself to the idea Hue didn’t have a choice. I’ve changed my mind on that one. We should’ve given a 2nd to Philly for VY or just rolled with Boller. If Hue had gone all in behind Boller and put his exceptional offensive mind to work to make minimize his flaws and play to his strengths, he might have played well enough to give us a chance. But the trade was made and the absolute worst-case scenario has played out.

• DMAC

fingers Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 11:59 am

========

Critical moments of the game.

• fingers

Our blog reads like the blog of a losing team….

• DMAC

======

Veldy has been pretty solid all season.

• fingers

Dmac… We’re so bad all the moments are critical… We have no defense… Not much offense… Horrible special teams and not very good coaching…. That critical

• papertiger418

I believe the TB game was when we decided to dub RoMac “The Matador”. Branch played, if I recall correctly.

• LA to TheBay

823.fingers Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 11:59 am

—-

Disagree, that gave us a ton of momentum. It got squandered again.

Also, out KR game has been Ofer since what’s his name was allowed to walk in FA.

Goodson trying to do too much and got us hemmed up inside the 10, which led to CP fumble.

Manning was good but not perfect last night. If CP doesn’t make those two critical errors, it might be a different game. As it often does, game outcome is tied to the turnover battle and the game of ‘hidden yards.’

• DMAC

Dakota Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 11:59 am

Anyone fired, cut or off themselves after last night?
    =======

Last time I checked D’Antoni is still coaching the sorry ass Fakers.
    lol
    Go Dubs!

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Raider Mayne Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 11:49 am

I really think Fox took it easy on us last night.

========================
    FOx and Manning did take it easy . Peyton felt sorry for us so they settled for Fg’s instead of TD’s so it would not embarress DA and friends. That’s how sad we are, when our division rivals FEEL SORRY for US!
    =====================================

So you can ready people’s minds? Man, some of you really need to check yourselves.

• http://ggeden.blogspot.com/ GG

There was absolutely no reason for Palmer continuing to start the Browns game, or the Broncos game, and the reason for starting him continues to diminish each week that passes.

There’s nothing to be gained from it. Pryor ought to have been starting the Browns game thru to the end of the season.

That he hasn’t does not speak volumes about Pryor, but about Allen.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

The idea that carson some how deserves to continue playing is beyond laughable.

Look across the bay. A young qb that came into the nfl with just as many raw attributes as pryor has supplanted a very solid winning (now) qb on a wining team fresh off its trip to the conference championship and while in the hunt for a super bowl.

This points to the ineptitude in the way pryor has been handled by allen. he wasnt suited up, ther were no special p[lays for him all year. he didnt take any meaningful snaps in practice because lienart was the no. 2.

This was short sighted and and epic mismanagment of pryor. Now here we sit 3 games to go with a miserable 3-10 and pryor is just as raw as he was coming into the year!!!

He should have been prepped for a chance to start at th end of the year like kaprenic has been handled by harbaugh.

This should have been done as a precaution in case we were to end up where we have. that is a failure of the coaching staff to be forward thinking and proactive.

In fact pror wouldnt even dress if it wasn’t for davis and big mack dropping the hammer on allen.

If pryor does not play in the kc game allen should vbe fired before he leaves the field.

Not having pryor prepared or in the best positoin to succeed is enxcusable he is after all a 3rd round pick!!!

All of the other youngsters on the team are seeing significant playing time at the expense of veterans, why not pryor? even guys off the street have been on the field yet our 3rd round pick doesnt get a sniff?!?!

They better give him every single rep from here on out in practice and the game so he has at least a fair chance to show what he can do.

he will be a player that hasnt had many practice reps or any games snaps as the 3rd qb playing against defenders that have been starting all year?!?!?!

poorly done by allen

Why do moore & romac and bartell get benched for performance, yet carson has loused it up for six straight games unchallenged?!?!/!

This is the worst coaching i have ever seen.

art shell 2, at least had a good defense

callahan and the dumbest team in america could score points

mike white had a decent offense

hell even joe bugel had a decent offensive team

cable’s teams at least were competitive with crap players

allen is by far worse the worst of the bunch

• Sir Dennis Eeatin-Hog

DMAC was ineffective? Had runs of 36, 6, 6, 4, 2, 1, no gain, no gain, -1, and -3 for a net of 51 on 10 carries (5.1 YPC). The problem was his 10-yard run that was called back for holding — normally a 10-yard penalty and no play, but in this case, they gave him a yard at the spot of the hold so he ended up getting credit with for a carry for one yard on that play, bringing his total to 11 carries for 52 yards (4.7 ypc). He also had two receptions for 12 yards and a TD (the first reception resulted in a first down for the Raiders). So, 13 touches, he averages a full yard per carry better than Moreno, but he was not productive? Well, given the amount of limited touches, this is true. Out of his 11 carries, the no gainers and lost yardage plays were an obvious result of blocking breakdowns resulting in nowhere to run. What did Reece do — 4 carries for 10 yards?

Broncos came in with the league’s 3rd-best defense, DMAC had not played in a month, but he was productive with his 13 touches. The only mistake he made was not corraling that first quick pass outside the mike on the opening drive that looked like it might go for 20 yards or so. Other than that, he played well when given an opportunity.

• LA to TheBay

But the trade was made and the absolute worst-case scenario has played out.

Agree.

• fingers

Any turnover for this team at anytime is critical…. We’re a losing team…it’s never not critical

• papertiger418

We’re not a losing team, we’re a hapless team. There’s an extra dose of futility in being hapless.

• fingers

The Donks went through our defense on the first drive like a hot knife through butter

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

LA to TheBay Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 12:00 pm

—-

Myers.
    =====================================

Palmer, Myers, Veldheer, Reece, have played well on offense. And Reece has been VERY limited. Please notice that there is NO rushing attack. When you have NO rushing attack, it is a big problem to play QB.

• LA to TheBay

837.Sir Dennis Eeatin-Hog Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 12:04 pm

—-

All 100% correct.

And then he got injured again.

• LA to TheBay

840.papertiger418 Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 12:04 pm

LOL

• fingers

Papertiger….. Ok…. We’re a hapless losing team …. I agree lol

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

“Funny thing is, as a passer Palmer outplayed Manning. The difference: Denver has a legit running game, so Manning only has to pass enough to complement and keep the defenses off balance. For the Raiders, after a quarter of watching DMac bash himself into the line beofre waiting for the holes to emerge, they are stuck in essentially pass only mode. The defenses know this. Manning would do no better in these same circumstances. But of course Pryor would … LOL”

This is a man who has a high football IQ you feeble minded tards might want to listen up!

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

fingers Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 12:05 pm

========================================

I have seen that alot with both good coordinators and good defenses. A team will come right down the field and score, and then not do a lot after that. We had some shades of that last night. We did do somethings that had them confused. Just not enough horses to compete in this league at this time.

• fingers

How bout ” pitiful hapless losing team?

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

fingers Says:
    December 7th, 2012 at 11:46 am

As far as Palmer throwing ints at critical times…. With this team when isn’t it a critical time?….I forget what the stat was but the Donks had the ball a lot longer than we did….I believe their we’re at least 3 drops that Palmer put right on the numbers or right in the hands of receivers last night…. MCFadden dropped one the cost them a huge gain
    ==========

so what if the wr’s dropped passes, the bronco defenders also dropped 3 palmer passes

Palmers god awful redzone pick and fumbling near our own goal line killed this game. A game where the defense actually played well enough to keep the score halfway respectable.

palmer stinks and every one knows it…….now

• The Beeech Dawg

HUGE NEWS FROM CAMP BEEECH DIGGITY

Yo Nerds, getting in some serious work on 2 Kewl 4 Skool, my super dope new boy band

With 1 Direction just appearing on Letterman, it’s time to capitalize on the return of the trend and make some CASH MONEY for weed, strippers and etc.

Me and the 4 other members have been getting our pubes washed, blow dried, gelled and styled for the last 3 hours and are almost ready to start rehearsing

Probably squeeze in a quick trip to Olive Garden first, can’t harmonize on an empty stomach

Should get a few free helping of delicious bread sticks once we flash the waitress our sweet new pube ‘dos

TAKIN’ THIS JAM ALL THE WAY TO B OF A