Commissioner Goodell fields questions about Raiders, NFL

The Raiders don’t resume practice until Monday. In the interim, here’s the transcript from a 6 1/2-minute question-and-answer session with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.
Naturally, Goodell had some interesting things to say about the Raiders stadium issue. The Raiders current lease expires after the 2013 season. As of now, the most likely scenario involves the Raiders extending the lease while they continue to find a long-term solution.
Here’s the entire transcript:

Q: What message does it send to rest of league that Alex Smith loses job after concussion?
Goodell: “That it’s about safety first. Competitiveness is not going to be the number one driver. It’s going to be safety. When someone gets injured those are medical decisions and those have to be made by the medical professionals. The football decisions are made later when a player is healthy. That’s what the 49ers have done.”

Q: Concerned player might hide concussion?
Goodell: “I hope not and I don’t expect they will.”

Q: Concerned player might hide concussion
Goodell: “That’s always been a challenge for us making sure players self-report. It’s not that simple. You have to have a good teammate next to him if he’s not right. We have ATC spotters watching from upstairs who can spot when somebody has had an impact that made lead to a concussion so they can be evaluated. You want to make sure they are all evaluated properly and that the right decisions are made from a medical standpoint.”

Q: Will competition committee look at replacing kickoffs with 4th and 15 from 30?
Goodell: “The competition committee will consider it. It was something (Buccaneers coach) Greg Schiano came up with when he was coach at Rutgers. I asked about it at a dinner we were having, had he had any ideas about the kickoff. That was something he had given a great deal of thought to. I thought it was an interesting idea. The committee will look at it.”

Q: What do you like about that?
Goodell: “I think it is very interesting. I think it is worth considering.”

Q: What is there that you and the league can do to help the Raiders work out something to where they’re able to remain in Oakland? We talked to you a couple years ago, have they closed that gap? Seen any progress?
Goodell: “I think the first thing is, we now have a new collective bargaining agreement since we spoke, and I think that collective bargaining agreement in and of itself will be helpful because it does a great job of making sure the economics are balanced among all 32 teams and of course the players. And we also have got a new stadium funding mechanism in there that the league can provide up to $200 million of financing to a new stadium project. I think those are very significant changes and should be helpful, yes.”

Q: So, the fact that the 49ers …
Goodell: “And we’re seeing it. We’re seeing it with the 49ers, we’re seeing it in Minnesota, Atlanta’s making a lot of progress. I’d go back and tell you also the 10-year labor agreement. When you have that kind of certainty for 10 years it should be very helpful in getting these projects done.”

Q: There’s a lot of speculation about the Raiders possibly moving to Los Angeles. Where does the Los Angeles situation stand in terms of a team?
Goodell: “Basically where we’ve been. Unfortunately we’re still looking to make sure we have a stadium solution. It all comes down to a stadium solution. And if we can find the right kind of stadium solution, we’ll work on a team at that point.”

Q: Why is a stadium most important to keeping the team here?
Goodell: “Because it’s our stage. It’s part of where we present our game. It’s the biggest part. And it’s also really important to the fan experience. Having full stadiums is critical for us. We want to have our fans in the stadium, we want to make sure they have the best facilities, we want to make sure the teams can generate enough revenue to be successful and competitive.”

Q: When do you expect a ruling from former commissioner Paul Tagliabue on the bounty case?
Goodell: “That’s up to him.”

Q: In light of the Jovan Belcher situation, you mentioned there’s a program in this area. What about for teams at their own facility to avoid a situation like Kansas City?
Goodell: “Sure, that’s where the programs are really executed. We have player development directors on each team, they implement the programs that we do across all 32 teams, and we have to continue to look for new programs. I think this program we announced this summer on mental health will be a big help with that. Again it’s about getting access for players with families to identify issues and make sure they’re properly treated, and that can be a very positive change.”

Q: See two teams in the 49ers stadium?
Goodell: “The priority is what the community and the team work out. I think it’s a great benefit that there’s a stadium across the bay that’s going to be a state of the art facility. That’s terrific. So that’s an option if this community and the Raiders choose that. But that’s a decision they have to make. We the league are prepared to help fund facilities. And we’ll continue to do what we can to make sure our teams stay in their communities.”

Q: Will the NFL be involved in determining who moves to Los Angeles?
Goodell: “Ultimately that’s a league decision, takes 24 of the 32 teams to vote on any relocation.”

Q: Would the NFL be open to providing financial assistance for a stadium twice in the same area?
Goodell: “What do you mean? In what sense?”

Q: Providing $200 million to the Raiders situation after doing so for the 49ers new stadium?
Goodell: “Yes, we would do that. That’s not something that’s prohibited in the policy. We wouldn’t look at that as double dipping. We’d look at that as getting stages built in the community and we want to continue to do that.”

Q: What’s the problem in Oakland?
Goodell: “You all are closer to it than I am. I think people want to make sure the Raiders are here and want to make sure they do the right things, there are a lot of priorities in communities these days and those have to be balanced by the leadership both the public sector and the private sector. These are complicated issues and they have to be done intelligently so that they address community needs but they also work with the team long term.”

Steve Corkran

• manassamauler

Jackie Bibby Says:
    December 9th, 2012 at 11:57 pm

Nope hes only 25 has atleast 5 more years left before you can call him a bust. Hes in his contract year next year I ti think he actually stays healthy and has a big year next year. And sure stewart and reece have looked better than dmac in this awful system but its not like theyve been breaking 40, or 50 yarders I think stewarts longest run was for like 14 or something like that. I mean they get the good 5 yards here 4 yards there plays and thats it. When dmac is on though hes a game changer and someone defenses fear, trade Dmac if you want but no ones going to be thinking oh sht jeremy stewarts coming to town.

>. yep he’s only 25 and can’t stay on the field more than 12 games per year. imagine when hes 28. Running backs aren’t as important now. we all know it. its a passing league now, gotta have a QB that can carry the team, an OLINE that can hold the LOS and a few decent WRS that can run a route and catch a pass.

• dr_robert

Beach Says:
    December 9th, 2012 at 11:32 pm
    I will help explain Gdog. The comment is right about the defense, but wrong about the offense. DMAC looks bad because of Knapp. The offensive scheme has destroyed the once good offense!
    **********

and yet reece thrives in it.

• dr_robert

Manassamauler Says:
    December 9th, 2012 at 11:35 pm
    beach Says:
    December 9th, 2012 at 11:32 pm

>. scheme has nothing to do with DMC. he can’t stay on the field regardless. i don’t want to hear excuses, are you telling me mike goodson and marcel reese and run well in the ZBS and DMC can’t? is DMC an idiot? and they have run PB plays for DMC and he STILL gets stuffed? so whats the excuse?
    *************

dmc is an “exploder”. he just goes full speed like a rocket. he either hits a hole or runs into someone.

but injuries have had an effect. he is no longer quite as explosive. so he doesn’t really hit the holes very hard either. just his linemen.

• dr_robert

RaiderDebo Says:
    December 9th, 2012 at 11:38 pm
    Jackie Bibby Says:
    December 9th, 2012 at 11:21 pm
    The jamarcus russel over Calvin johnson pick set us back the most. I wanted calvin so bad when al skipped him for jamarcus I just knew it would come back to bite us. Smh jamarcus russel was the worst thing to ever happen to the raiders.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Blah blah blah blah blah!! You know how tired this thinking is?? Please explain to me how JR set the team back. And remember, we were 2-14 the year we drafted him.
    *************

we spent several years thinking he was the answer. and spent a ton of money on him that could have gone elsewhere. that was easy.

if there was a better running game and a better defense and better receivers, we would be a great team.

***

LOL @ Dr Bob #550

yeah – Aaron Brooks, Andrew Walter, Josh McCown, Daunte Culpepper, JaMarcus Russell, Bruce Gradkowski & Jason Campbell could have benefited from that too

you’re basically saying that we need to keep Carson Palmer and trash everything else

what an idiot!

Terrapin #142 & #152

Carson Palmer left the Bengals by choice. He missed half a season. Peyton Manning missed a whole season.

these wiley ole vets know how to play football man. “off the couch” excuses can be thrown out the window imo

most of YOU PEOPLE said that CP3 was better than Campbell & Boller in his first 3 games “off the couch” last season than those other guys who had been here the whole time!

Answer post #69 RRS

***

Riff,

I ignored your 3 or 4 pleas to respond to that because you could make that argument for every QB in the league. You blame everybody else but Carson for his INT’s

I don’t feel the need to debate that. sorry

• r8eray

Good Morning!!

I wonder when Steve will start talking Draft…draft prospects!

With the remaining schedule I see us picking 2nd or 3rd overall…I might be wrong, we’ll end up with the 1st pick!

After (2) 8-8 seasons it didn’t take much to start from scratch!

Thank you Reggie McKenzie!!

• 0ak r8rs

Dr Robert and Riff, please read post 519 cause I don’t wanna keep repeating myself about how much of a loser Palmer is. Cause I don’t want anyone to confuse my opinion an think that I’m saying this is all palmers fault or he has no talent or anything stupid like that. But I’ll give one last example of how Palmer is a loser and finds a way to lose and will never win anything.

The bengals. We talk about how bad an organization they are? How mismanaged and devoid of talent they are? Yet the second they get rid of Palmer and install a rookie QB they r a contender again. Now I know they haven’t beaten a single quality opponent in these last two years, they just beat up on worse teams an get swept by Baltimore and Pittsburgh every year. I know all that. I don’t wanna debate the merits of the bengals. But my point is Palmer is gone and they r glad he’s gone. They r contending. Nobody misses him or his in opportune picks or non pocket awareness strip sacks. They r just fine, in fact many times better without him. Sounds familiar in the opposite direction for us, doesn’t it? He’s out problem now.

He is going to set us back almost as badly as Russell did. He’s already damaging Pryor’s career, holding him back. And again, I realize that Pryor could be useless, we have no way of knowing what he can do, so I’m in no way saying Pryor is the answer, but as long as Palmer and DA for that matter r around, we will never know.

All the bad things that could have happened after the Palmer trade have happened. We missed the post season last year. We fell from contention this year. And we gave up a first and a second round draft pick for nothing. As far as Palmer is concerned, it’s not for lack of talent, or desire, or leadership or any of that tangible or intangible stuff people talk about all the time. It’s that he’s just yet another in a long line of USC quarterbacks before and after him to be a complete and utter failure. He has never won anything. He will never win anything. The sooner we dump him, cut our losses and get what we can for him, the better off we will be in the long run. ID rather suck w a couple of rookies under center then a 33 year old black cloud. At least the rookies have the potential to be winners.

• 0ak r8rs

And as far as Hue? FACK him too. Idk if Reggie is gonna be any good or not, but I’d rather retool w packers guys then bengals guys. I’ll take my chances w the packers pedigree.

• Plunketthead

Time to play bowl game pick em
    password aldavis

• http://www.safc.com/the-club/stadium/about-the-stadium-of-light neilb

Why didn’t Corky ask Goodell if we can finish the season right now and spare us a lot of grief?

• 0ak r8rs

Plunketthead Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 5:24 am

Time to play bowl game pick em
    password aldavis

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Can you make me a member of the group, unless its a private thing? I’ll play.

• 0ak r8rs

Neilb Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 5:41 am

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Seems as though we already did that weeks ago. Haha

• http://www.safc.com/the-club/stadium/about-the-stadium-of-light neilb

…….it’s not like my other sporting love is doing any better.Sunderland afc is a load of cr@p too.

• Plunketthead

It is private but you and everyone else is welcome to play, just go to the link and use the password aldavis.

Thanks for playing

• http://www.safc.com/the-club/stadium/about-the-stadium-of-light neilb

Did we? Sorry.Work 4 on,4 off so sometimes I miss stuff.

• Plunketthead

A double minded man is unstable in all his ways and that’s mister Mark Davis.

If he starts meddling with his moms team we are screwed.

• 0ak r8rs

I tried. It tells me this:

ERROR
    You are not a member of this group. (Error #113)
    Back to Previous Page

No big deal. Don’t expect you to spend hours troubleshooting. Haha

• Plunketthead

Luck has six game winning drives in the fourth quarter
    RG3 is just unreal, He throws BULLETS

The bungles continue to be the bungles no matter who is at QB. Marv Lewis must have a lot to do with that. He has fielded competitive teams but he cant get over the hump

• Plunketthead

My fault try this

Group ID# 14891
    password aldavis

• Plunketthead

No wonder no one has signed up

• DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL

GOOD MORNING SPORS’S FAN’S.

• Plunketthead

I found the right sign in page so try again if you had problems

Group ID # 14891
    password aldavis

• MiamiRaider78

Good morning gentleman!

My brother and I were having a somewhat, sad conversation this morning about the Raiders play the last 10 or 11+ years.

You can’t help but be in awe of all the FA signings we’ve made and players we have drafted that have turned out to be complete busts. It’s worse because we are growing old as the Raiders continue to lose. In return that feeling of hopelessness makes you cling on to any sign of potential or progress, even if it’s showcased in one quarter of play.

It’s like a fiend that’ll take anything to get his/her fix.

I’ve been a fan since 1990 and have witnessed 7 winning seasons in 22 years…thats tough for anyone. At least some of you veteran fans have lived through the glory years of the Raiders, while all I have is pretty much the Gruden era.

With that said, when the hell does anyone just say,”ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!?!?”

The cycle of losing and utter disappointment takes away from maximizing enjoyment of life through the months of April-January/Feb. lol Seriously…

IT FCK’N HAS TO STOP! GET IT TOGETHER AND MAKE THE CORRECT FA MOVES AND DRAFT PLAYERS WHO WILL FIT THE SCHEMES YOU ARE GOING TO IMPLEMENT AND GET THE SHIP GOING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION.

It’s the reason why most of us want Gruden back… some of us are still clinging on because thats the last coach that was fielding competitive teams and WINNING. From now on, I will expect the worst from our Raiders because hoping has not worked for a long time with this team.

GET IT TOGETHER!

Sorry for the rant.

• http://profootballtalk.com Raideraholic (AKAHairyBush)

those who keep talking about palmer are just ignorant.
    ————————–
    truth

• DJ Johnny

Miami,

Tis the season for such rants.

Raider fans know all too well the empty feeling that turns to anger from seeing all these other teams vying for a playoff spot at mattering, while we play out the string and hope for the future. Sick of that too.

Say what u want about it being a “mirage” and “not real” but we had a break from that misery the prior two seasons. At this time the last two seasons we were still very much in the hunt for the playoffs.

Make what u want out of that, but it is what it is.

I don’t know what we can do to affect any change. I think when u look in the stands during the Browns game and even the “soldout” Denver game, it’s obvious the fans are speaking in their silence.

I have some hope in that our owner is very dis-satisfied with this and will do all he can to make it better.

I’m not asking for SB right away but want to at least get out of laughingstock status, which we got away from, but are right back into.

• MiamiRaider78

DJ Johnny Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 7:28 am

Make what u want out of that, but it is what it is.
    _______________

I agree. Regardless of who came in to coach this year, I thought to make the transition easier for the new regime, we would have built off of the success of our offense, add some pieces to our D and sign some players for depth. We didn’t do that and it set us back a few more years.

Why?!?! Who knows but when you think about it now, after all that has transpired, it was a colossal mistake. If the measures I mentioned above would have been taken, we wouldn’t be 3-10 and playing uninspired football. Superbowl bound this year? I doubt it. But what we are watching week in and week out is beyond pathetic.

• bcz24

At least the rookies have the potential to be winners.
    ************************
    When does that sh1t get old though. Aren’t you sick of ‘at least we have potential’. Al Davis drove this team through the ground in to what it is today by paying for potential that was never realized.

• Marks hair

Test

• DJ Johnny

Looks like the blog is being affected by all this losing and hopelessness as well.

Looks like off season mode is in full effect.

Maybe an announcement of Pryor starting against KC might be only thing to give us a reason to watch.

The Pryor naysayers could look forward to seeing flop and the Pryor optimists could look forward to seeing the ‘Wave of the Future” on full display.

I’d be interested in seeing it. It’d be fun either way; or better said “different”.

Sad that it’s the only “bone” the org. can provide us at this point.

Anything else i’m missing?

It will be the true “Toilet Bowl” game for the season.

Also, it’ll be interesting to see how the McClain thing is addressed. I’d think we’d hear something on this today right?

• Marks hair

Time to play tp.. hope we get the top pick

• bcz24

*********************
    The truth of the matter is, this purge was a long time coming. It should have been done sooner, but it wasn’t. When it comes to pay for play, we are so far out of balance that nothing short of what we are going through is possible to correct it.

I don’t hate on Reggie or DA at this point, because they inherated a situation that ANYONE not seeing through Silver and Black glasses could see was an unwinnable situation. Reg and DA have not been perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but even if they were perfect then what? We eek out another 8-8 by the skin of our teeth? We have more cap issues next year? I mean, personally, I will eat a 3-13 year if it finally ends the constant string of bad management.

• Marks hair

The reason we have sucked for so long is dead Miamiraider.. I’m just scared that the new management is just as bad as the old management

• DJ Johnny

In the long run our horrible season is best thing to happen in the long run.

At least we’ll have some fun draft talk this yr. and we’ll see how Reggie does.

I think we may see him trade down and try to acquire a # 2 pick to get that back and we’ll have a full draft this time.

8-8 or 7-9 would have kept us in football hell. This bad record can serve to make some REAL change.

Reggie has to do it right.

• jesusraiderjim

Plunketthead Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 5:24 am

Time to play bowl game pick em
    password aldavis

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Plunk
    Every time I go there I get on ERROR don’t belong to this group or some such shvt. Would like to play

• Dakota

Still no one fired?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Chico still MIA?!
    Operation save Chico from Oakland starts now.
    Burn every tree!
    Look in every strip club!
    Save Chico!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

CP throws a lot of INTs but he is not the main problem.
    Main problems:
    1- Coaching
    2- Defense
    3- lack of talent

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Good morning Green Party & Nation.

• J Hill

Still no one fired?

——————————————————————————–

Nope.

D’Antonio and Duhon still running the show.

Kobe still not playing D.

They owe Mike Brown a public apology, lol.

• J Hill

Do we change OCs and put Pryor in ANOTHER system to learn?

Hmmmmmm…..

• jesusraiderjim

Raider O Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 8:14 am
    Chico still MIA?!
    Operation save Chico from Oakland starts now.
    Burn every tree!
    Look in every strip club!
    Save Chico!

———————————————–

Word O

I been lookin for him too! WTF

Hwnrdr where you at?

Mass suicide of Raider fans that we didn’t hear about LOL!!

They all musta gotta hold of some bad SHVT at the tailgate.

• JONGRUDEN2013

Its official,..Jon Gruden NOT coming back. Sorry. Hey Im just the messenger. :(

• J Hill

If lack of talent is an issue, how can we properly evaluate the coaches?

• bcz24

Ya know I have thought a lot about that high draft pick. First thing to consider is, who is going to be there at #2 worth a mid to late round team trading up for? There is no RG3 in this draft. I think the best thing is to take Te’o. He is an outstanding player, AND the biggest thing is he is the best LEADER in college football today. A team that desperately lacks leadership can’t afford to pass on a guy like that. Just my take.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

LOL Jim.
    Hwnrdr, B, and DMAC were there but they didn’t see/ meet Chico.
    Maybe he is MIA to escape the agony of marriage.
    Good for you Chico. Stay MIA.

• Raiderbuck

Does Te’o have the lateral movement speed for the 4-3? Don’t want another square peg in a round hole.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

J Hill Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 8:24 am
    If lack of talent is an issue, how can we properly evaluate the coaches?
    $$$$$$$$$$$

-Because our team regressed with the same level of talent.
    - no one forced the coaches to put Wiz at C, our only impact player (DMC) looks average after having good seasons the last 2 years.
    - because our Defense regressed after we hired a defensive minded coach.
    - because we allow more points, score less, less yards, and less 1st downs with the same level of talent.

• MiamiRaider78

Mark,

I know the reason we have sucked for so long is a dead issue but I stay away from it unlike most of the semi’s? lol in here. I just had to rant real quick because it was brought up in conversation this morning and it lasted longer than usual. lol