1,020

Lechler looking toward the future, uncertain what it holds

Punter Shane Lechler and kicker Sebastian Janikowski are the only two players on the Raiders 53-man roster that experienced a winning season with this team. This season marks Lechler’s 13th season, and it just might be his final one in a Raiders uniform.

Lechler is in the final year of the four-year contract he signed in 2009 that made him the highest-paid punter in NFL history. It remains to be seen whether he will be back for a 14th season.

“Oh, yeah, I’ve thought about it, had long discussions with my wife about it,” Lechler said Monday. “It’s one of those things where you don’t have any control over it and it’s kind of frustrating. But, in the same sense, it’s exciting and frustrating at the same time, if it can be that. That’s what it is. Just a lot of long conversations with the wife, we’ve got kids in school now, so we need to figure out something and go from there.”

Lechler said he had high hopes for this season, given the Raiders finished 8-8 each of the past two seasons and came one win away from winning the AFC West last season.

He joined the Raiders as a fifth-round pick out of Texas A&M in 2000, at a time when the Raiders were just taking off under then-coach Jon Gruden.

The Raiders qualified for the AFC Playoffs in each of Lechler’s first three seasons, culminating with a Super Bowl appearance under coach Bill Callahan in 2002.

“I wish that would have happened a little bit later in my career so I wouldn’t have taken it so much for granted,” Lechler said. “We walk right into this thing and go to the AFC Championship Game. I thought that was how it was going to be. Didn’t quite turn out that way.”

No, it didn’t. As it turned out, the Raiders went 4-12 in Lechler’s fourth season and haven’t had a winning season in any of the past 10. They are 3-10 right now.

Through it all, Lechler was the one consistent bright spot for the Raiders, racking up Pro Bowl and All-Pro selections seemingly every season.

This season, Lechler is 10th in gross punting average and 21st in net punting average. Part of that owes to Lechler being bothered by a knee injury that required surgery just before training camp started — he said he didn’t feel 100 percent healthy until midway through this season.

Lechler is playing for his eighth head coach this year. He said it’s imperative the Raiders stick with Dennis Allen and give Allen a chance to turn around the Raiders.

“Though it may not look like it in our record and what’s happened on Sundays, this place is headed in the right direction,” Lechler said.

And Allen is the one of the primary reasons the Raiders are headed in the proper direction, Lechler said.
“D.A. is good for this job,” Lechler said. “He’s got my full support. Somewhere in here, we’re going to have to let a guy coach for a few years to figure out. It’s not much different than the college football. You give a guy four years, let him recruit players, let him develop his players and see how they are then, instead of change and change and change. But this is Oakland.”

General manager Reggie McKenzie and owner Mark Davis haven’t tipped their hand on how they intend to proceed with Lechler.

Well, that is, unless you count the decision to place undrafted rookie punter Marquette King on season-ending reserve.

“Yeah, I don’t know that I’ve ever seen it happen before,” Lechler said.

That’s the kind of move that means one of two things: The Raiders intend to let Lechler walk after this season, or they are keeping King on ice in case Lechler opts to sign elsewhere.

“I’m not real worried about it,” Lechler said. “If that’s the direction they choose to go, they choose to go. I don’t have any doubt in his ability. He needs some time.

“It was frustrating for a little while because this is my job, and it has been mine for 13 years. You can feel how you want to about it. I took it a little bit personal early but after that I was like, ‘You know what? I can only worry about so many things around here.’ So, that was one of them that I needed to stop worrying about.”

Long-snapper Jon Condo called Lechler a leader in the locker room and on the field, the kind of guy whose value transcends all the Pro Bowl and All-Pro selections.

Lechler, Condo and kicker Sebastian Janikowski arguably are the best specialists trio in the league.
“I’ve seen punters along the way that can boom a punt 67 yards, but their next might be 20, 30 yards,” Condo said. “He’s always consistent, he’s always there. Just his presence in the locker room and on the field, it’s big for our team. I know with Bass, it’s a safety net for him, it’s a safety net for me, when the three of us are together.

“We all have faith and trust in one another, and that’s a big thing in specialists when you’re out there kicking a field goal or punting a ball from the back of your end zone. Without trust in the guy you’re working with, that’s one thing that has helped out me a lot is having faith and trust. Also, there’s a comfort level. Anytime those guys are on the field you feel comfortable. If you’re comfortable, you’re going to play a lot better.”

Steve Corkran

• DKnight007

Los Raida Locos Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 8:26 pm

It’s so simple it’s sickening. All Reggie had to do was:

Keep Hue and let him gameplan and build around Palmer and McFadden

Resign Bush

Hire a bona dude DC

A couple of tweaks here and there and we are really good. Hues irrational firing is a footnote in Raider history.

Reggie and DA have created a monumental mess that ain’t gonna get cleaned up over night. And to hell with the ZBS. It’ll be outlawed next year. Another oversight by these guys. They ruined what could have been a good thing. Good luck climbing outta this hole. Reggie and DA apologists need to realize this. It really is that simple. That is why it is so sickening.

^^^^^^^^^
    Exactly!

Kirk Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 10:52 pm

This is the worst coaching staff I have ever seen in 50 years of watching pro football.

>>> well look at the practice squad players they have starting. just sayin

• Kirk

Dump Lechler. He is overrated and over paid.

• Kirk

manassamauler Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 10:57 pm
    Kirk Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 10:52 pm

>>> well look at the practice squad players they have starting. just sayin

…………………………………..

Look at what Hue did with a lesser quarterback and the same players.

Seymour Bush Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 10:56 pm

I have faith that McK will draft better than old man Al did.

However, I do not have faith that DA and his whack staff can lead this team and get better.

Raiders need better coaches….period!
    ===========================================

I appreciate that. But when I see Marques Colston run right past Mitchell like he was asleep for an easy TD with 40 seconds to go in the half versus New Orleans, or McFadden drop a pass on the lst play last game where he is singled up against the Bunco’s MLB, a play that should have gone for 30 yards and might have completely affected the outcome, I can’t judge the staff until we get some guys in here that can settle down and make some simple plays.

>> yeah the Raiders don’t have a lot of talent. no #1 WR, no leader on defense, no #1 corner, no play makers on defense period. players have to play

• Kirk

Dennis Allen has never been a head coach before, and Greg Knapp has been fired from every job he ever had.

These guys are in way over their heads.

• DKnight007

Kirk Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 10:55 pm

DKnight007, why the flagnogg didn’t they hire Gruden in the first place?

^^^^^^^^^
    Gotta pay Gruden the $$$$$ that is why. He will want at least 6 million a yeat….at least.

It’s would be worth it.

Just gotta build the defense for him and Gruden is a leader of men!

Kirk Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 10:59 pm

manassamauler Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 10:57 pm
    Kirk Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 10:52 pm

>>> well look at the practice squad players they have starting. just sayin

…………………………………..

Look at what Hue did with a lesser quarterback and the same players.
    manassamauler Says:

>> hue coached against a crappier division AND an easier schedule. Hue did more with less(maybe) against less. seymour and kelly have aged 10 years this year and the defense is gutted. Raiders were shut down against top teams last year. overrated and you bought the hype.easy to do

• Priesttj12

Seymour I’ve said it a million times before he hired DA and after. I would have hired a experienced coach to dvelope my talent that I get, someone who had a chance and wants to prove himself. I would hire David Shaw if I had my preferences but DA shows me absolutely NOTHING!!!………….period

• DJ Johnny

Lechler is gone. That’s why they kept King on the roster.

Reggie realizes we need that 5 mill. elsewhere.

Lechler is a luxury we can’t afford anymore.

• DKnight007

manassamauler Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Seymour Bush Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 10:56 pm

I have faith that McK will draft better than old man Al did.

Raiders need better coaches….period!
    ===========================================

^^^^^^^^^^
    Sorry, but DA and especially Knapp and the coaching staff stink.

The changed offensive scheme when it didn’t need to be done and DA hired Knapp as OC and an inexperienced Tarver and a lousy special teams guy like Hoffman??

That tells me all I need to know about DA and his evaluation of personnel and his lousy staff.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

manassamauler Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 10:59 pm

========================================

Thank you.

DJ Johnny Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Lechler is gone. That’s why they kept King on the roster.

Reggie realizes we need that 5 mill. elsewhere.

Lechler is a luxury we can’t afford anymore.

>. RM will sign lechler to a 5 year25 million contract because lechler is an “effort” guy.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

DKnight007 Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Los Raida Locos Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 8:26 pm

It’s so simple it’s sickening. All Reggie had to do was:

Keep Hue and let him gameplan and build around Palmer and McFadden

Resign Bush

Hire a bona dude DC

^^^^^^^^^
    Exactly!
    ===========================================

Your forgetting about the $35mm in salary you have to cut. So, that would be Palmer, McFadden, Seymour, and you could keep Bush, routt, and Wimbley.

• DKnight007

Priesttj12 Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 11:02 pm

^^^^^^^^^
    Exactly.

You don’t fire a hard working rookie head coach in Hue who banged up team one game away from playoffs with a lousy DC and then hire a younger rookie head coach in DA to replace him?? Bad.

David Shaw has some upside and he has actual head coaching experience unlike DA!

• DKnight007

Lechler is gone! King is the punter next year!

• Priesttj12

To even argue for these guys IMO is ludicrous…

You can hate Hue all you want but for Reeggie to not even talk with the man to see if he could be convinced otherwise IMO is derolict. Reggie came in with preconceaved notions and acted on them. Which mismanagment of the highest order. He should be fired on that fact alone.

hee should have taken hs time and did his due diligence made sure the changes he was mnaking were NECESSARY not change to make for change sake.

DKnight007 Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 11:02 pm

manassamauler Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Seymour Bush Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 10:56 pm

I have faith that McK will draft better than old man Al did.

Raiders need better coaches….period!
    ===========================================

^^^^^^^^^^
    Sorry, but DA and especially Knapp and the coaching staff stink.

>> players have to play. Norv turner stunk it up in Oak but has had success in SD. why is that? my point is that you need some talent AND leadership ON TH FIELD combined with coaching to win. you can’t put this on DA. look at the defensive roster. who is the #1 corner on this team? anybody know? i don’t, no talent defense. you can’t win games with that crap UNLESS you have tom brady or manning and even then with wouldn’t easy. its more on the players than these coaches. let them get some talent and leadership on the field and then judge.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Priesttj12 Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 11:02 pm

============================================

lst off why would Shaw come here? The chances of David Shaw coming here would be one in a thousand. And you know why? Because everyone and their mom knew that this was going to be a HUGE problem getting this turned around with the cap problems and the lack of draft choices. If you were David Shaw and you had to take over a team YOU KNEW would take years, would you do it? And if you went 2-14, and 3-13 and got fired, you might not get another NFL gig. The other problem is Shaw would have to learn the NFL which also takes time. Give me a more realistic name. And don’t say Belichik would come here.

• manassamauler

replace allen with gruden in week 1 and this team would be 5-8 at best right now. not even gruden could overcome that horrible defense and no running game all year.

DKnight007 Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Priesttj12 Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 11:02 pm

^^^^^^^^^
    Exactly.

>. why do you guys argue for hue STILL! never ends, this dude pulled of the dumbest trade in raider history and you people want that dingle berry as HC?

• DKnight007

Priesttj12 Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 11:06 pm

To even argue for these guys IMO is ludicrous…

^^^^^^^^^^
    Exactly, but Mark Davis forced McK to fire Hue.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Priesttj12 Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 11:06 pm

To even argue for these guys IMO is ludicrous…

====================================

I don’t hate Jackson. I just would not want him in charge of anything. I have seen what happens. Cable was a good coach. Cables teams win. Cables team put up 50 spot on a division rival yesterday. Remember what Cable did to division rivals here? Jacksons secondary got torched in the final minutes after they were winning big against Dallas yesterday. Remember that too? These are facts. Not my feelings.

• DKnight007

manassamauler Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 11:09 pm

^^^^^^^^^^
    Exactly. At least Gruden would get the most of his talent, make proper adjustments and use his players to their strengths and give this team a fighting change and the players would buy into what Gruden is selling.

This team doesn’t even fight for DA and the rest of this crap staff!

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Talk to yalls tomorrow.

• DKnight007

manassamauler Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 11:11 pm

DKnight007 Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Priesttj12 Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 11:02 pm

^^^^^^^^^
    Exactly.

^^^^^^^^^
    You still using that dumbest trade in the history of football garbage?? haha

Guess you never heard of the Herchel Walker trade huh and the many other crazy trades in the NFL??

• DKnight007

When I see players not even playing inspiring football and just going through the motions.

Tells me they don’t respect the coaching staff and don’t give a crap.

DKnight007 Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 11:15 pm

manassamauler Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 11:11 pm

DKnight007 Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Priesttj12 Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 11:02 pm

^^^^^^^^^
    Exactly.

^^^^^^^^^
    You still using that dumbest trade in the history of football garbage?? haha

>. i said dumbest trade in RAIDER history. i can’t think of a dumber move. hue was a moron

DKnight007 Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Tells me they don’t respect the coaching staff and don’t give a crap.

>. defense put up a fight against manning thursday. can’t deny that. but they were over matched against the 3rd greatest QB of all time. no shame in losing to manning

• Priesttj12

Priesttj12 Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 11:02 pm

============================================

**************************************************
    Seymour agsin you know not of which you speak David Shaw sp0ent years here when he did’t have to and loves the Raiders and would come here easily all they have to do is ask.

He stayed here even after Mr Davis fired his father and stayed for another 3 years. But again this is the type of propaganda that exist in here and it is totally baseless………….period

• dr_robert

did priest just accuse someone of spreading propaganda? priest? seriously? did i just spray my drink all over as i read it?

• dr_robert

priest’s preference was to hire a black coach? seriously? that’s surprising.

• Priesttj12

Yeah you’ll take a white coach no matter how bad he is. I want a winner who’s got a plan that uis working. But just pretend he’s white so it doesn’t hurt so bad…….lol

Priesttj12 Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 11:49 pm

>> awwww that must be it

• dr_robert

yes priest. yet another stupid lie from ur mouth. anyone, inckuding u, that has paid any attention knows that i couldn’t care less what color anyone is. that’s u and missdick, and fangs.

and also, anyone here knows i have no love for DA. i just know he’s coming back, so there’s no point going on and on about it. plus, as EVERYONE here knows, one problem the raiders have had is coaching instability. if he was supposed to be a good coach to begin with, then he should be given the chance to show it over some time.

but ur a liar and we all know that too.

• http://www.AmyTraskshouldbeonmountrushmore.com Whats a Drexl?

Regardless of what position some of you kats want the first draft choice to be. The Raids have holes at almost ever position. The number one needs to be the best person available, regardless of position. If as some of you say this team lacks talent and depth, it is going to take a hell of alot more to over haul this roster than just one number one pick.

• Kiwi_Blade

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 6:47 pm

clowney cant come out.. he needs another year.

Walterfootball has Clowney the number 1 pick in next yrs draft. They have the oakland Raiders taking him with the 1st overall pick. I guess they pick the raiders to win less then 4 games next season.

——————————————–

Walter football are projecting DA to be our HC next year.

• manassamauler

Raiders will take that DT Star Lotulei. it all starts with the defensive line and that dude MOVES offensive lines by himself

• dr_robert

pretty sure our 1st need is a pass rusher. luckily, there are several in the top few players. personally, i would like manti teo cuz he’s a bad azz and he would be a bigtime leader, which we sorely lack (and reggie has admitted).

dr_robert Says:
    December 11th, 2012 at 12:12 am

>> they may draft a DE. drafting an MLB may be a mistake with a DLINE as craptastic as this one. i would prefer DT Star because they guy will get double teamed every snap and will open up things for the DEs and OLBs just by that.

• dr_robert

i would normally agree about a LB that high (and so would al davis), but i’m a huge irish fan and i’ve watched him play every game for 4 years and i know what kind of presence he has. he is like a junior seau crossed with mike singletary.

also, for whatever reason, tarver and reggie seem to think our d-line is “stout”. that worries me. they believe it’s the corners who are the problem. they said as much coming into the season, and the release of bartell speaks volumes.

the biggest instant difference makers are usually DT’s, pass rushing DE/LB’s, CB’s, LT’s, QB’s, and RB’s.

a guy like jones or moore, would fit in as a LB that drops down to rush in nickel situations and have burris move to the middle.

don’t see a CB, LT, QB, or RB that would be the pick, so it would either be a pass rusher or star.

or perhaps we simply trade down a few spots and pick up a 2nd rounder, and take mingo.

• dr_robert

and he’s wearing a polo hat!

• Moose
  • dr_robert

although guy made some good points that would be hard for a white man to make.

• oklahomaRaider18

any chance we take a chance on Marcus Lattimore? Draft him let him set out a year n get healthy??? Like we did Bush…??

• raidertalk

Well it is true that we haven’t had a first rounder here for a couple years

But I did lose a slight amount of respect for Reggie Mac when he hired his brother and put him up there with him in the press box. Not a deal breaker but little nepotistic

• oklahomaRaider18

Anyone know where Marcus Lattimore is projected to be drafted??? Think we use a 6th rounder on him???

• raidertalk

Lattimore eh? Don’t know what round probably late. Problem is we would have to sit him for a while let him heal; maybe a year like Bush. Then we would have a year less of his services before he departs in free agency.
    Although we definitely use an RB and he was great before his injury, its kinda hard to push for a “project” when our team has so many pressing needs in many areas.

• RaiderSam

Seymour Bush Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 10:21 pm
    Priesttj12 Says:
    December 10th, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Incidentlt Reggie MCk is all about HWS regardless to what he says just give it time and you’ll see I’m right.
    ========================================

Raji? Bulaga? Rogers? Clay Mathews? Are you kidding me? Mathews wasn’t even a starter at USC. He was a special teamer. Take a seat son.

——

uh Mathews was defensive player of the year, following the year Woodson was.

Raji is a intregal starter.

——

• RaiderSam

Raidertalk Says:
    December 11th, 2012 at 2:36 am

==========

Lattimore will be lucky to play in a softball game. Did you see that freaking injury?!

DONE, Son.