Notes and quotes from Raiders-Chiefs game

By Steve Corkran
Sunday, December 16th, 2012 at 11:34 pm in Oakland Raiders.

As it turned out, the importance of the 49ers-Patriots game Sunday night dictated double duty on my part. Therefore, I shifted from the Raiders game to the 49ers game right away, without having any time to sit in on coach Dennis Allen’s news conference or scour the locker room for notes and quotes.
For that, we turn to beat writer Jerry McDonald, who did double duty of his own in performing his regular duties, as well as holding down the blog and writing an additional story.
So, here’s a collection of notes complied by Jerry.

The much-anticipated 2012 debut of quarterback Terrelle Pryor drew cheers from a paid crowd of 51,446 at O.co Coliseum on Sunday as he trotted on to the field.

In less than two minutes, it was over.

It amounted to a three-and-out, not including a false start, and starter Carson Palmer returned and finished the game, a 15-0 win over the Kansas City Chiefs.

If the Raiders had plans to put Pryor in position to either run or pass, it never happened because they punted so quickly. After the false start, Pryor lined up behind center, handed off twice to Darren McFadden and threw incomplete intended for Darrius Heyward-Bey on third-and-7.

“We had it set at just one series,” Pryor said. “It’s just a steppingstone. I enjoyed the four plays, or whatever it was, but I was excited to get in there at least.”

Coach Dennis Allen will let game situations dictate how much time Pryor gets going forward.

“How much he plays, I don’t know the answer to that exactly, but we’ll see on a game-by-game basis,” Allen said.

Pryor said he’s fine with that plan.

“I’m a team player, and whatever they need from me I’m going to do so we can win,” Pryor said. “I love learning from (Palmer), and I wouldn’t trade it for anything else. When the time’s right, I’ll be ready.”

Pryor was on the field for exactly one snap last season — a play in which he was called for a false start — against Kansas City.

Sebastian Janikowski moved into second place on the NFL’s all-time list in field goals of 50 yards or more with two against the Chiefs. He’s tied with John Kasay with 42.

Janikowski’s miss from 51 yards was his third miss of the season, with the others coming from 61 and 64 yards.

A pigeon took up residence on the field for the pregame and virtually the entire first half, and somehow managed to avoid getting stepped on. At one point in the second quarter, right guard Mike Brisiel gave it a gentle nudge with his foot — and heard a chorus of boos from the stands.

“I’m at the line of scrimmage and that thing is in between the defensive end and the outside linebacker. I mean, that’s kind of deadly,” Brisiel said. “I didn’t kick it. I was trying to shoo it along, and then I get booed for it. Something was wrong with that thing; it was a little off, I think.”

The pigeon, which didn’t attempt to fly away, was scooped into a bucket by a member of the field crew at halftime and taken to parts unknown.

Cornerback Phillip Adams left in the second quarter with his second concussion in three games and was replaced by Brandian Ross, who played well and was cited afterward by Allen.

Cornerback Joselio Hanson intercepted a Brady Quinn pass in the second quarter to help set up a Raiders field goal.

Quinn credited crowd noise in the Black Hole at the south end of the Coliseum for resulting in a delay-of-game penalty when the Chiefs were deep in Raiders territory.

Rolando McClain, coming off a two-game suspension and demoted to second-string middle linebacker in the base defense, was inactive for the first time in his NFL career.

“I just felt like we wanted to go with some other guys and we’d have him inactive this week,” Allen said.

Kansas City’s 119 yards of total offense are the lowest total surrendered by the Raiders since San Diego gained 93 yards in the Raiders’ 6-0 win on Oct. 6, 1975. The Chiefs had minus-1 yard of total offense in the first quarter, the first time the Raiders had held a team to minus yardage in the opening quarter since 1992.

Shane Lechler’s first punt of the day was No. 1,000 for his NFL career.

Wide receiver Denarius Moore, who caught five passes for 46 yards, struggled to field punts.

Long-snapper Jon Condo was honored before the game with the Commitment to Excellence award, given to the player most worthy of excellence on and off the field as voted by his teammates.

The four sacks were a Raiders’ season high, with Philip Wheeler, Andre Carter, Desmond Bryant and Tommy Kelly getting one each.

• The_Judge37

It will be up to Pryor to play more. This staff will only give him two series at the most in the comming games, so it will be up to him to extend drives and force their hand.

• omoran

Raider (since 1967) ★
    I’ve ask Cork –Hi Cork ! A million times in the Forum to-
    “Please make a Knapp Poll -Should Knapp be Fire at the
    End lf the season-Yes or No? Vote @

I predict 3000 blogs!

• DJ Johnny

How do we explain the Eagles debacle? What do they do now? They supposedly already have the talent to win. What happened?

How frustrated would WE be as Raider fans having a “dream team” and lose like they have?

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Omoran Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 10:14 am
    Raider (since 1967) ★
    I’ve ask Cork –Hi Cork ! A million times in the Forum to-
    “Please make a Knapp Poll -Should Knapp be Fire at the
    End lf the season-Yes or No? Vote @

I predict 3000 blogs!
    ___________________________
    KoolKell – Yes.

• The_Judge37

Zymurge Says:
    On the TP debut, I think they saw exactly what they’ve been seeing in practice. No reads or audibles on the runs. A horrible read on the pass play looking to get the ball to a WR that has a DB draped all over him — and he was directly in front of him only a few yards away, not exactly hard to see the situation. Fortunately, he made a terrible throw or that might be a turnover inside his own 20
    ——-

Well if locking onto one WR and throwing ill advised passes into coverage is the major factor of playing time, then Carson would’ve been benched for Lienart along time ago.

• DennisAllensVisor

As I said, Phillip Adams, Brandian Ross & Joselio Hanson will be our CBs next season, and will be good enough.

Pass Rush & Oline is vital.

• omoran

Raider ((since 1967) ★
    We lost our division because stupidity and knowing nothing about personel. When something works don’t touch it
    We were 8-8 last year and we lost 2-3 stupid games because we didn’t close them out. Then said we Should have had a 11-5 season but ended 8-8 and No Playoff . Playoffs ?

• DennisAllensVisor

1-Dion Jordan
    2-Corey Lemonier
    3-Kyle Long

This > anything else.

• DennisAllensVisor

omoran Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 10:33 am
    Raider ((since 1967) ★

—-

We were 8-8, 5 of those wins were by 6 or less.

• Gdog

Macho Man Randy Savage Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 9:56 am

C´mon, let Pryor play, whats the difference? If he stinks it up he will be on the level with the rest of the team. If he runs around makes plays and looks a little bit like RG3 he might have some trade value.

Right now he has zero trade value, that cant drop.

>>>>>

I’m guessing his trade value would fall to nothing if he plays. Same as JaMoney didn’t want to go through the combine etc. The more a horrible passer showcases his “talents,” the more his value drops.

His trade value might never be higher than it is right now. Look how much of the Raider nation thinks he’s our savior!

• Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure

JB Says:
    Had we played our back-ups we’d now know a lot more on what to expect from them in real playing time. We’d have a much better understanding of who to keep and who to dump.
    IMO, the smart coach today was not DA but rather Romeo Crennel. His team will benefit in a much bigger fashion next year draft wise while we have downgraded our options. DA’s decisions today could cost us an additional year or two to catch up. Instead we get to say we skunked the #32 team in the NFL – BFD!
    =====================================================

Not singling you out here, JB. It’s a popular opinion. My question is if you’re playing the worst team in the league, and suspect they might rather lose, just how much would you learn about you’re back ups? They’re going to play hard no matter what ’cause they’re back ups. Might be a good time to see how hard your starters play in a “meaningless game” and if they’re football players or check cashers. Still two games to go to evaluate players, and San Diego won’t be tanking for draft position at home.

• DJ Johnny

I don’t know what some guys wanted from the Raiders yesterday.

You aren’t really mad at them for trying to win the game are you?

How fair would that be to the fans who spent good money to go to the game?

Noone expected this team to intentionally throw the game did you?

I’m guessing where most are disappointed is with DA NOT playing all the 2nd and 3rd stringers…the “young guys”. I get that. But those “young guys” would be trying to win too and probably would have won yesterday.

Right now as it stands we would be picking # 3…which is fine.

After what Carolina did to SD yesterday I don’t see us beating them and SD would be a tough game for us too, so don’t panic that we mortagaged our future on this win.

Enjoy it if u can. I know it seems hollow cuz it came against a very bad team, but the bright side is we swept the season series from KC…getting a home win against them for the first time in forever…plus it’s a little bit of revenge for the shutout they put on us last yr. at the OCO in Palmer’s “just off the couch” game.

I’m not gonna panic about our draft place. What happens..happens.

• The_Judge37

DennisAllensVisor Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 10:36 am
    omoran Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 10:33 am
    Raider ((since 1967) ★

—-

We were 8-8, 5 of those wins were by 6 or less.

3 out 4 of our wins have been by Janakowski Field Goals

• REALLIONAIREB

KoolKell Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 9:20 am
    REALLIONAIREB Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 9:11 am

As much as I wanna support DA he making it hard with this not playin the younger players ever team knows when the season is over you get the young guys in there to build 4 next season and see who is worthy of being here it just baffles me that Reggie & DA hasn’t or to stubborn to figure this out!!!
    ———————————-
    They’re not going to prove themselves wrong.

———————————————–

So what do u assume they’re proving now Kool???

Because I wld love to know!!!

• The_Judge37

DJ Johnny Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 10:42 am
    I don’t know what some guys wanted from the Raiders yesterday.
    ——-

A touchdown would’ve been nice

• omoran

Raider (since 1967)★
    ” IF AL WOULD BE ALIVE MANNING WOULD NOT BE IN DENVER ” !
    He would have Scout his every move, and had his checkbook open to make him Oakland qb.
    But no we fail and the DONKEES $hit it us inside our helmets.
    We were to busy been so bad and distress, that we hit the Iceberg and sank !

• 2romes

Think part of the problem with the Eagles started when they tried to do a polamalu with Nnamdi.Nnamdi is a cover corner and that is about it. The toughness they had in the backfield with the likes of Dawkins was replaced with glamour backs. That’ my take on it.
    ——————————————————-

203.DJ Johnny Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 10:23 am

• DennisAllensVisor

The_Judge37 Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 10:42 am
    DennisAllensVisor Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 10:36 am
    omoran Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 10:33 am
    Raider ((since 1967) ★

—-

We were 8-8, 5 of those wins were by 6 or less.

3 out 4 of our wins have been by Janakowski Field Goals

—-

This is correct.

• DJ Johnny

KC will take Geno Smith # 1 and Jx most likely will take Jarvis Jones..a linebacker.

I doubt we would’ve taken either of those guys anyway so it doesn’t really matter.

Like Charlie says we need to “build the lines” and I agree.

Therefore we probably take Bjorn Werner at DE…someone we really need at # 3. If we fall further becuz of winning these next 2 weeks than he may still be available. We just don’t know.

• DennisAllensVisor

We werent that good last year. We arent that good this year. We havent been good since 2001.

Deal with reality. Stop being ignorant homers.

• hwnrdr

I think much of the fan base wanted to see a td yesterday! Not sure why we didn’t go for it on 4th, but I am not DA!
    Quite a few fans left yesterday because it was that ball control offense that Knapp loves…but dam dude, can we get someone, anyone in the friggen end zone???
    However, at the end of the day…thanks DA…we won against our heated rival…draft position or not…you play to wn the game!!!

• nycraider

i certainly have no problem playing for the win. My only concern is not seeing enough of tp6

• 2romes

Gotta agree with the play to win every game.Play to lose for draft picks is quite hard for me to accept. Does anyone know of a teams/organazations that admitted to losing games for draft picks?

• The_Judge37

nycraider Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 10:55 am
    ——–

3 FG attempts of 50+ yards is also a concern

• Orthodoxdj

I would love to have a great pick in the draft, but anyone who thinks a team should lose just to get a pick should not call himself a fan. A team should never try to lose.

Getting a high pick does not mean the pick will work out. Drafting well is the secret. Also, even though there is a salary wage scale, the lower the pick, the higher the cost. The money can go farther with a later pick.

BOTTOM LINE: Play to win. Every time.

• The_Judge37

I get the Feeling that giving Pryor 1 pass attempt vs an inferior opponent at home is DA’s version Lane Kiffin’s 76 yard FG attempt. Just a big F-U to the fans.

• omoran

Raider (since 1967)★
    What’s the excuse next week? We have to win, There’s no
    excuse! Don’t retrograde/ Mark !
    Next time a good Qb becomes available on radar we have to be ready . A Brady, Eli or Ruthlessburger could be available guys.It takes good Scouting and some Spy work.
    ” Now that REGGIE is busy trying to get a bigger Dump truck to Gut the place up!

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNoi_wwzbtQ Zymurge

====================================================

Be fair. Pryor said he did check down from a deeper covered receiver to Myers, I think, who was doubled, and then to DHB and saw the defender closing as he was throwing and basically threw it away so as not to throw a pick. Sounds to me like what a QB should do. Had he taken off on foot, he would’ve caught heat for that, too.

====

In that case, he’s smarter than I give him credit for, because he made up a nice little tale there. I watched the play on slo-mo. In his drop he started looking left at Streater, who had press man cover. He looked off him about 4 steps into his pattern (I guess this was the “deeper” route) then snapped his head to the center of the field and fired immediately to DHB — the guy with the DB draped all over him. I’m not sure where he found the time to look for Myers now why he would “throw it away” over the middle into a sea of red. He had no pressure and plenty of time to let the patterns run out, move around, or at worst to huck it out of bounds. It was 3rd down afterall and it wasn’t like he had a play to waste.

On the other hand, if he played it so perfectly then why was he not played the rest of the game? Palmer was pretty clearly not himself with the flu bug and all, so it was THE ideal time to give him more reps.

• DJ Johnny

222.nycraider Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 10:55 am

Me too. I wanna see him play the whole game start to finish…and see what happens. If we win or lose so be it.

• DJ Johnny

220.DennisAllensVisor Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 10:50 am

Deal with reality. Stop being ignorant homers.

We were good in 2002 too. I understand your point though.

• cfrylopez

Brisiel should shoo Knapp along.

• DJ Johnny

215.The_Judge37 Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 10:44 am
    DJ Johnny Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 10:42 am
    I don’t know what some guys wanted from the Raiders yesterday.
    ——-

A touchdown would’ve been nice

I agree. I meant in terms of deliberately trying to lose the game.

• JONGRUDEN2013

Iv read here where some losers post that DA actually tried to win this game so he could save his job,…really?….the next coach that puts out a game plan to lose on purpose not only gets canned but would be forever banned from the league,…DA isnt getting canned nor is Knapp or Tarver,…Reggies first move is to get rid of Pryor, and maybe get a 3rd rounder for DMC.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

DennisAllensVisor Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 10:50 am

Deal with reality. Stop being ignorant homers.
    ————————
    8-8 is twice as good as 4-12

• The_Judge37

JONGRUDEN2013 Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 11:09 am
    ——–

Yes because Pryor is the main Reason we’ve been losing this season.

• ohioraider

Eh, how smart will Romeo Crennel look after he gets fired?

• JONGRUDEN2013

This years draft is maybe the worst ever…there is no great player going number one,…the top ten players are about the same as the players in the fourth round. Youve just been educated.

• Orthodoxdj

Knapp DESERVES to be criticized next year. I will withhold judgment on DA until next year and I’ll withhold judgment on Reggie until the year after.

• JONGRUDEN2013

Romeo will be fine,..get a DC job the day after he gets canned.

• MaddenRaiderisadouchebag

Dakota Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 9:53 am
    DT Nix and LT Martin returning to ND next year.

Some of you had talked about drafting Nix….sorry.

=====

Too bad, I would take Nix before T’eo

• The_Judge37

JONGRUDEN2013 Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 11:13 am
    ——-

Take it easy there Mel Kiper

• Raider Riff

Chris In NY Says:
    December 16th, 2012 at 9:23 pm
    Just Fire Baby Says:
    December 16th, 2012 at 9:12 pm
    I’ve heard rumors the Lions are souring on Suh quite some.

I would offer them McFadden (sign and trade if need be) along with a 2014 first round pick for him and see if that is enough.

—————————-

No thanks. Suh is a physically dominant guy, but I’ve seen more than one analyst break down tape that shows him playing undisciplined and basically being the culprit on a lot of blown plays by the Lions defense because of it. If the Lions have soured on him, I’m sure it’s more because of this sort of thing than anything else.

McFadden under Hue was one of the best RBs in football. No way do I trade him and a 2014 first rounder for Suh. Maybe one or the other. Definitely not both.

Gotta remember too that with the new rookie salary structure the 2014 first rounder will make far less than Suh and we’ll have him locked up longer.

——–

Yep. Suh is a mess.

• JONGRUDEN2013

By the way I got to meet DA yesterday, I was on the sidelines with Villapiano pregame and when DA came over to shake his hand I got to meet him. While you guys were watching The RedZone.

• JONGRUDEN2013

Lester,..with the top 6 pick we get Reggie will trade it for as many picks as he can,…book that.

• MaddenRaiderisadouchebag

DennisAllensVisor Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 10:50 am

Deal with reality. Stop being ignorant homers.

———-

Exactly Tits fan…Hue didn’t have an off-season due to the lockout, lost his MVP caliber RB, his starting QB, then had to trade for a guy who was sitting on his couch, stuck with Bresnahan as DC, dealt with injuries to the WR core and yet still had us at 8-8 & competing for a division title.

But hey Tits has gotten us 4 wins(3 of which are against teams that will draft 1 or 2), gotten us blown out by teams hovering around .500 and gets destroyed in the 3rd quarter of every game not against the Chiefs or Jaguars…

He’s quite the keeper.

• omoran

Raider (since 1967) ★

Raider’s game wasn’t televized in Miami! Cowboys was. Hate them ! AHHH! They said some of you will see the Oakland vs Kc following this Dolphins game ! Sure , you know I watch it on my mobile phone and put it on my ESPN – GAMECAST with Alarm for every scoring! 5 -6 JANO SEABASS FIELD GOAL made it ring 6 times. Hoping 1 ring would be a TD!

• The_Judge37

JONGRUDEN2013 Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 11:16 am
    ———-

Bragging about meeting DA is like Bragging that you stayed at Tom Walsh’s B&B

• hwnrdr

That is correct…no real must have picks this year…just hope whoever you get pans out! I still want Manti Teo, but that is me being biased…lol
    Yesterday, last home game/tailgate…not really feeling myself either! Couldn’t move! Sorry Bob, was going to follow Brien yesterday, but he took off before I could grab a beer! Hopefully I can get to Mau’i next month! Like I said, it’s been a long time…I believe since 97!

• Orthodoxdj

I meant to say Knapp deserves to be criticized THIS YEAR.

• JONGRUDEN2013

Tom has a B and B,…you have nothing.