Notes and quotes from Raiders-Chiefs game

By Steve Corkran
Sunday, December 16th, 2012 at 11:34 pm in Oakland Raiders.

As it turned out, the importance of the 49ers-Patriots game Sunday night dictated double duty on my part. Therefore, I shifted from the Raiders game to the 49ers game right away, without having any time to sit in on coach Dennis Allen’s news conference or scour the locker room for notes and quotes.
For that, we turn to beat writer Jerry McDonald, who did double duty of his own in performing his regular duties, as well as holding down the blog and writing an additional story.
So, here’s a collection of notes complied by Jerry.

The much-anticipated 2012 debut of quarterback Terrelle Pryor drew cheers from a paid crowd of 51,446 at O.co Coliseum on Sunday as he trotted on to the field.

In less than two minutes, it was over.

It amounted to a three-and-out, not including a false start, and starter Carson Palmer returned and finished the game, a 15-0 win over the Kansas City Chiefs.

If the Raiders had plans to put Pryor in position to either run or pass, it never happened because they punted so quickly. After the false start, Pryor lined up behind center, handed off twice to Darren McFadden and threw incomplete intended for Darrius Heyward-Bey on third-and-7.

“We had it set at just one series,” Pryor said. “It’s just a steppingstone. I enjoyed the four plays, or whatever it was, but I was excited to get in there at least.”

Coach Dennis Allen will let game situations dictate how much time Pryor gets going forward.

“How much he plays, I don’t know the answer to that exactly, but we’ll see on a game-by-game basis,” Allen said.

Pryor said he’s fine with that plan.

“I’m a team player, and whatever they need from me I’m going to do so we can win,” Pryor said. “I love learning from (Palmer), and I wouldn’t trade it for anything else. When the time’s right, I’ll be ready.”

Pryor was on the field for exactly one snap last season — a play in which he was called for a false start — against Kansas City.

Sebastian Janikowski moved into second place on the NFL’s all-time list in field goals of 50 yards or more with two against the Chiefs. He’s tied with John Kasay with 42.

Janikowski’s miss from 51 yards was his third miss of the season, with the others coming from 61 and 64 yards.

A pigeon took up residence on the field for the pregame and virtually the entire first half, and somehow managed to avoid getting stepped on. At one point in the second quarter, right guard Mike Brisiel gave it a gentle nudge with his foot — and heard a chorus of boos from the stands.

“I’m at the line of scrimmage and that thing is in between the defensive end and the outside linebacker. I mean, that’s kind of deadly,” Brisiel said. “I didn’t kick it. I was trying to shoo it along, and then I get booed for it. Something was wrong with that thing; it was a little off, I think.”

The pigeon, which didn’t attempt to fly away, was scooped into a bucket by a member of the field crew at halftime and taken to parts unknown.

Cornerback Phillip Adams left in the second quarter with his second concussion in three games and was replaced by Brandian Ross, who played well and was cited afterward by Allen.

Cornerback Joselio Hanson intercepted a Brady Quinn pass in the second quarter to help set up a Raiders field goal.

Quinn credited crowd noise in the Black Hole at the south end of the Coliseum for resulting in a delay-of-game penalty when the Chiefs were deep in Raiders territory.

Rolando McClain, coming off a two-game suspension and demoted to second-string middle linebacker in the base defense, was inactive for the first time in his NFL career.

“I just felt like we wanted to go with some other guys and we’d have him inactive this week,” Allen said.

Kansas City’s 119 yards of total offense are the lowest total surrendered by the Raiders since San Diego gained 93 yards in the Raiders’ 6-0 win on Oct. 6, 1975. The Chiefs had minus-1 yard of total offense in the first quarter, the first time the Raiders had held a team to minus yardage in the opening quarter since 1992.

Shane Lechler’s first punt of the day was No. 1,000 for his NFL career.

Wide receiver Denarius Moore, who caught five passes for 46 yards, struggled to field punts.

Long-snapper Jon Condo was honored before the game with the Commitment to Excellence award, given to the player most worthy of excellence on and off the field as voted by his teammates.

The four sacks were a Raiders’ season high, with Philip Wheeler, Andre Carter, Desmond Bryant and Tommy Kelly getting one each.

• JONGRUDEN2013

Dont blame Brien,..I OD`d him on Jello shots.

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNoi_wwzbtQ Zymurge

DJ Johnny Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 10:42 am
    I don’t know what some guys wanted from the Raiders yesterday.

You aren’t really mad at them for trying to win the game are you?

How fair would that be to the fans who spent good money to go to the game?

Noone expected this team to intentionally throw the game did you?

I’m guessing where most are disappointed is with DA NOT playing all the 2nd and 3rd stringers…the “young guys”. I get that. But those “young guys” would be trying to win too and probably would have won yesterday.

Right now as it stands we would be picking # 3…which is fine.

After what Carolina did to SD yesterday I don’t see us beating them and SD would be a tough game for us too, so don’t panic that we mortagaged our future on this win.

Enjoy it if u can. I know it seems hollow cuz it came against a very bad team, but the bright side is we swept the season series from KC…getting a home win against them for the first time in forever…plus it’s a little bit of revenge for the shutout they put on us last yr. at the OCO in Palmer’s “just off the couch” game.

I’m not gonna panic about our draft place. What happens..happens.

=======

I know, right?

This group is like a gaggle of constipated old ladies, sitting around whining about their sad lives.

Say what you want, but the Raiders defense went out played a great game yesterday. And they did it with the young group of players that are going to be the backbone of next season’s unit: Bryant, Wheeler, Adams (briefly), Houston, Ross, Hanson, Burris. They showed that Tarver is learning how to adjust to an opponent and that the right players put in the right position can make plays. And they did it on a day when the offense wasn’t exatly tearing it up, putting them into more predictible situations.

You can claim that KC is a bad team — and they are — but they are an NFL team that put up 27 on Carolina two weeks ago (with Quinn). They hadn’t been shut out before this season either, so by definition this was one of the better defensive efforts against them all year.

Did you all forget that this was a unit that was allowing NFL record number of points against it across consecutive weeks? Now DA is doing as he said and playing the young guys that have shown that they deserve deeper looks and we’re seeing positive results.

And all you guys can do is piss and moan about not seeing enough TP, how they didn’t throw the game for a better draft pick, and how generally miserable the rest of your lives must be because the Raiders aren’t winning the Super Bowl this year. Me? I’m doing what I can to enjoy the rebuilding process as much as I did the winning seasons (and I go back to the teams of the late 60′s) because it’s all one big journey. If you don’t stop to look out the window and enjoy the view every now and then, waiting only to get to the destination, then you’ll find that you missed an awful lot of life along the way.

• The_Judge37

JONGRUDEN2013 Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 11:20 am
    Tom has a B and B,…you have nothing.
    ——-

Fishing for Kudos on the internet is the defenition of having nothing.

• Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure

DJ Johnny Says:
    I don’t know what some guys wanted from the Raiders yesterday.
    ——-
    The_Judge37 Says:
    A touchdown would’ve been nice
    ====================================================

Can’t argue with that.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

===============================================

This complete POS wasn’t suited up. And we pitched a shutout. And they got 17 yards in the lst half. While this POS wasn’t near the field. That is NOT a coincidence.

• JONGRUDEN2013

One thing I saw yesterday from my row 1 seats,..Goodson is waaaaaay better then DMC. Wheeler and Burris play great together,…and we all can agree, the D is much better without that bich Rolando.

• JONGRUDEN2013

Stop fishing then Lester.

• MaddenRaiderisadouchebag

Bragging about meeting DA is like Bragging that you stayed at Tom Walsh’s B&B

============

LOL!

• JONGRUDEN2013

I wasnt bragging,…the simple minded cant tell the difference from saying you met someone from bragging,..if I wanted to brag I would have said I was hangin with Ted Hendricks on the sideline yesterday. That would have been bragging,..get it now Forrest?…by the way Ted is cool.

• eazy-e r-nation

you guys sound like idiots complaining about winning the game..Theres no can’t miss players in this draft unlike last years luck and rg3…from 1-10 theres good players to pick up,plus we dont need just a top pick we need to trade it down for a latter 1st and 2nd rd pick…since or 2nd rd goes to cincy…like herem edwards said you play to win the game we hadn’t won in a month and a half we needed this victory…But i will say that we should have played pryor more

• hwnrdr

JONGRUDEN2013 Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 11:22 am
    Dont blame Brien,..I OD`d him on Jello shots.

LOL, I heard when he came back…

• Chris in NY

The_Judge37,
    LMAO @ post #247.

Post of the day. Serious contender for post of the year.

Hilarious.

• eazy-e r-nation

jongruden2013 the problem with goodson is he’s just like dmac and taiwan jones there made of glass

• The_Judge37

JONGRUDEN2013 Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 11:35 am
    ———

I almost bought a used Hyundai from Stuart Schweigert, he was cool too but tough to negotiate with.

• DaRaiders022

Good we beat a division rival yesterday…for as bad as they are! Defense showed some potential and character yesterday(see Bryant, Houston, Burris, Hanson)! Jano keeps us in games and wins them for us too! As for the offense…no TD’s, runs off guard got more yards than those pathetic sweeps! DHB can’t catch a flight, and DMC is slow and goes down when a defender breathes on him! Palmer has lost confidence and play-calling is so freakin predictable its embarassing! When are some of these fools going to be held accountable? We need motivators, players (who make plays) and a commitment to play NFL football!

• Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure

Zymurge Says: #228
    In that case, he’s smarter than I give him credit for, because he made up a nice little tale there. I watched the play on slo-mo.
    On the other hand, if he played it so perfectly then why was he not played the rest of the game? Palmer was pretty clearly not himself with the flu bug and all, so it was THE ideal time to give him more reps.
    =======================================================

Don’t have the luxury of replay, and actually missed Pryors entire series. But I think I paraphrased his post game comment fairly accurately, so if he’s teling tales that’ll come out. And I heard Pryor had the flu also, along with several other Raiders other than Palmer.

• omoran

Raider (since 1967)★

You know we miss out in getting MANNING -they say it was to risky a move to take and he could get injure again! You Know ,
    Life is Biatch risk itself. Gamblers win it all or lose it all!

“GOOD Qbs are like T- Rex they will appear and eat everyone up. MANNING, ELI, ROTHLESBURGER could become available
    Reggie should be aware of this, he has to put THE WATER CUPS on his Desk to see when they will Vibrate! That’s all.

• JONGRUDEN2013

Iv never considered a Hyundai…never.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

JONGRUDEN2013 Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 11:29 am

==============================================

I have been saying Goodson is better than McFadden since week 2. Yesterday undeniably proved that. One of the top reasons we are 4-10 this season is McFadden has been horrible. Eff that guy.

• hwnrdr

Even Jeremy Stewart or what ever his name is has been a pleasant surprise! We’ll see what happens come off season!

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

# hwnrdr Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 11:47 am

==========================================

When Jeremy Stewart can go out and outperform McFadden something is wrong.

• The_Judge37

I’d like to see what Goodson would look like carring the ball 20+ times. Don’t think he’a anything more than a back up but it’s worth a shot.

• BOKNOWS

This would be nice….

1strd:Damontre Moore-DE
    2ndrd:Jessie Williams-DT (after hopeful trade)
    3rdrd:Giovani Bernard-RB or Eddie Lacy-RB
    4thrd:Gerald Hodges-OLB
    5thrd:Ryan Nassib-QB (also trade)
    6thrd:Will Davis-CB

Trade DMAC for Dallas’s 2nd and Bruce Carter to man the MLB spot…..

• JONGRUDEN2013

Bo,..you really study the 6th round? Geez.

• hwnrdr

I think the reason why is that Goody and Stewart have better patience with the ZBS! I’m no expert so I could be wrong but…DMAC did rip off a slow 100 yarder yesterday!

• DKnight007

I’m telling you the Jets, Cowboys or Packers would be willing to give Raiders a 2nd Rounder for DMC.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

# The_Judge37 Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 11:50 am

=============================================

Maybe. But Reece also outperformed McFadden. And so did an undrafted Stewart to go along with Goodson. In fact they probably could have pulled Gorilla Rilla out of the black hole and he would have been more productive than McFadden. McFadden is a waste of a roster space and a ton of cap. Get rid of him and watch us win.

• hwnrdr

Seymour, I like that theory but when DMAC was out for 3 games, we still didn;t win!

• The_Judge37

Seymour Bush Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 11:55 am
    # The_Judge37 Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 11:50 am

=============================================

———-

DMC has not been good this year, but if you think going into next year with Goodson/Stewart combo will equate to wins then you’re in for a rude awakening from this years Dirt Knapp.

• jesusraiderjim

I was on the fence concerning Mcfragile but if we could get a good 2nd for him it would hepl us in the long run.

Plenty of teams use “no name” running backs and do just fine. Just dont rade him to anyone in the AFC west.

• JONGRUDEN2013

The only thing DMC did yesterday was cough up the ball deep in our territory that gave KC hope. There is NO team thats giving Reggie a 2nd,..Reg is hoping for a 4th.

• DKnight007

Wow. What a win yesterday huh?

Couldn’t even a get an actual TD against a team that is slightly worse than us?

It’s okay. Carolina will beat the Raiders next week and hope our draft position is better.

I don’t want the Bolts drafing ahead of Raiders.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Chico,

Glad you are ok. I told you not to take the wife. lol
    Baby mama drama and it’s not your baby?!
    WTF?!

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

==============================================

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

# hwnrdr Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 11:56 am

=========================================

That’s because McClain played in those games.

• Turf toe

“FIELD GOAL, RRRRRRRAAAAIDERS!”

• boss01

233.JONGRUDEN2013 Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 11:09 am
    Iv read here where some losers post that DA actually tried to win this game so he could save his job,…really?….the next coach that puts out a game plan to lose on purpose not only gets canned but would be forever banned from the league,…DA isnt getting canned nor is Knapp or Tarver,…Reggies first move is to get rid of Pryor, and maybe get a 3rd rounder for DMC.

======================

When your season is over, the most prudent thing to do is PLAY TO WIN THE GAME, while benching your “starters” who contributed to this putrid record, and playing the young guys you are clueless about what you have in them, i.e. TP6, TJ, Criner, Bilukidi, Chekwa, Crawford, Bergstrom, etc. All of them should have been starters against KC and played all 60 minutes. That way you can’t lose, if you win, you find out which ones are worth keeping and can play in this league, if you lose, you know what you have in them while securing a higher pick. WIN – WIN situation. But that is the kind of logic that seems to evade the current coaching staff due to their own selfish reasons.

• Chris in NY

Seymour,
    FYI, we were 0-4 without McFadden this year. Three of those losses were absolute blowouts. The other was to the Browns at home.

Here’s something that will blow ur mind and all the DMac haters. Did you know that when McFadden gets at least 18 carries this season, the Raiders are 4-1. Look it up. Absolute fact. Oh, and the one loss, was probably our best game of the season, losing at ATL on a lastsecond 55 yard FG.

I’m not saying this is somehow the magic formula for success, but to say he’s “one of the main reasons we’re 4-10″ is not reality-based. Unless you’re suggesting we’d be 1-13 without him.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

1strd:Damontre Moore-DE
    2ndrd:Jessie Williams-DT (after hopeful trade)
    3rdrd:Giovani Bernard-RB or Eddie Lacy-RB
    4thrd:Gerald Hodges-OLB
    5thrd:Ryan Nassib-QB (also trade)
    6thrd:Will Davis-CB
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Trade down:
    1- CB D Milliner
    2- OLB Dion Jordan, Anthony Barr, or Chase Thomas
    3- DE Brandon Jenkins
    4- RB Michael Dyer

• boss01

I remember Hue being quoted as saying that DMC was the best back in the league “barnone”, over the likes of AP & Arian Foster. I remember buying in to that statement. Now I just feel real stupid.

• jesusraiderjim

If history is any indicator if we trade DMAC he will thrive on the team we trade him to. I want to trade him for a 2nd but in a way I dont want him to go somewhere and kick our ass.

• JONGRUDEN2013

The Raiders arent going to bench their highest paid player so they can take a look at Pryor,..listen, they have gotten a look at him,..all summer and every practice,…know why Kapperkapnickkpper is starting for SF?…because they saw him all summer and at every practice,..SF knew he was good, Oakland knows Pryor sucks. Youre welcome.

• hwnrdr

Seymour Bush Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 12:00 pm
    # hwnrdr Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 11:56 am

=========================================

That’s because McClain played in those games.

LOL

• Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure

Turf toe Says:

“FIELD GOAL, RRRRRRRAAAAIDERS!”
    ===============================

That’s funny.

• hwnrdr

Interesting stat…Raiders tied for record of most points margin of victory where no touchdowns were scored…
    15-0, Tampa Bay over Chicago 2002

• DennisAllensVisor

DKnight007 Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 11:55 am

—-

Not a chance.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

==============================================

Goodson was twice as productive as McFadden. McFadden had 30 snaps. If we had more productive guys take 30 snaps we would have won yesterday 42-0.

• hwnrdr

You don’t think that Jerry Jones may take a look at DMAC just to have his Arkansas back field there at Dallas?

• jesusraiderjim

DKnight007 Says:
    December 17th, 2012 at 11:55 am

—-

Well as long as YOU’RE sure, then by all means let’sdo it!!! LMAO

• boss01

In this league you need 2 starter quality backs. If DMC is willing to sign a contract that is less than what the top 10 backs in the league make, keep him while bringing in another quality back to compete for the starting job with DMC. If he wants a top notch contract, that’s when you trade him before he becomes unrestricted. Either way he is signed through next year. No need to rush things. This team has too many holes to address, trading DMC for a 3rd rounder aint gonna fix jack.