Raiders notes vs. Panthers

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Sunday, December 23rd, 2012 at 5:12 pm in Oakland Raiders.

On Carolina’s first touchdown, a 23-yard pass from Cam Newton to Steve Smith, left tackle Byron Bell appeared to be holding Raiders defensive end Lamarr Houston.

No flag was thrown.

Much later, when Darren McFadden ran into the end zone from 3 yards out, Stefen Wisniewski was called for holding against a Carolina interior defender, erasing the touchdown.

“I kind of got tripped up,’’ Wisniewski said. “I gave ‘em kind of a final tug before he was going to get off the block. Sometimes they call that; sometimes they don’t. I have to see it on tape to know for sure. But it really stinks when it’s on a touchdown. It really hurts.’’

The two plays helped determine the final outcome in a 17-6 win by the Panthers, but there were head-scratchers galore from the officiating crew on both sides.

On third-and-10 from the Carolina 20-yard line, Tommy Kelly contributed on an apparent sack of Cam Newton. Newton kicked Kelly as they untangled, with Kelly getting a retaliatory foul for unnecessary roughness and a Panthers first down.

“He kicked me and and I aint’ fixing to take that off nobody,’’ Kelly said. “What are you going to do when someone kicks you? You going to take it? Nah.’’

Coach Dennis Allen, although he said he wasn’t exactly sure what happened on the play, wasn’t so sure.

“We’re trying to change the cultre and whatwe have to understand is we have to keep our composure in those types of situations because nothing good comes out of it,’’ Allen said.

Kelly conceded afterward the Raiders were going after Newton with gusto after Carson Palmer was knocked out of the game on a roughing the passer penalty from Greg Hardy, but not in an illegal sense.

“You take our guy out, we’re going to take your guy out,’’ Kelly said.“We’re not out to hurt someone, but when that happens . . .’’

Later in the same drive, Miles Burris appeared to deliver a clean hit to break up a pass to tight end Greg Olson. He got called for hitting a defenseless receiver, just as Carolina linebacker Luke Kuechly did against Darrius Heyward-Bey.

“I’m not the one who makes the calls here,’’ Burris said. “I thought it was pretty clean and I’m going to go out there and continue to play football as hard as I can,’’ Burris said.

Carolina coach Ron Rivera and Allen were both venting their frustrations with officials.

“They have to do the best job they can to protect the players and that’s really where we are right now.’’

Newton was called for unsportsmanlike conduct after making contact with an official after being ridden to the ground by Mike Mitchell, but was not ejected.

Referee Joe Boger told a pool reporter he “missspoke’’ when saying over the loudspeaker that Newton was being penalized for contact. He said Newton was instead penalized for “disrespectfully addressing an official’’ and that the contact “was not of a malicious nature.’’

Newton issued a public apology after the game.

– Palmer’s injury was sustained on a third-and-1 play while rolling to his right to pass. Subsequent third-and-1 plays resulted in a 4-yard loss on a pitch to Darren McFadden and a 2-yard loss on a swing pass from Matt Leinart to Marcel Reece.

Asked if he would have liked to have seen a more straight-ahead approach in short-yardage, Allen said, “ I would like to see us get the first down and that’s what we’ve got to do better at. Up until last week, we were one of the leading teams on third-and-1 . . . we got stopped a couple of times and we’ve got to do better there.’’

– The Raiders longest offensive play of the day was a 22-yard reception by Terrelle Pryor, who took shotgun snap from center, threw wide to Carson Palmer and then caught a return throw on a screen.

– Punter Shane Lechler pinned the Panthers inside the 20-yard line four times.

– A bit of trickery on a punt reverse from Phillip Adams to Mike Mitchell went for just two yards.

– Strong safety Tyvon Branch (foot) and Adams (groin) did not finish the game with injuries.

– Defensive end Dave Tollefson was inactive for the first time this season, with rookie Jack Crawford getting spot duty on the defensive line.

• R8drinOK

496.Dakota Says:
    December 24th, 2012 at 8:16 am
    Damn phone, I am out.

Merry Christmas! (or happy holidays to you godless liberals)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

LOL, Merry Christmas to you as well Dakota.
    I’m hoping for a miracle that Jon Gruden will be back where he belongs next year…

• Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure

Good Morning, Miami!

• MiamiRaider78

All we can pray for is Palmer faking the injury so Pryor can get a start and Leinart catching a bad case of the squirts before the game against San Diego.

I’m sorry but I want a top 3 pick.

• R8drinOK

Question is, as what?

498.The_Judge37 Says:
    December 24th, 2012 at 8:17 am
    Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure Says:
    December 24th, 2012 at 8:15 am
    Knapp’s already insipid and unimaginative play calling degenerated into an almost unwatchable parody of itself yesterday.
    ———-

I’ve already become numb to our Dirt Knapp offense. What i couldn’t stand was to watch Duck after Duck from Matt Leinart while this staff stubbornly refuses to play Pryor. But i understand it’s important to take a look at Matt, who’s a cheaper option next year, just in case they missed something in his previous 7 years.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Boggles the mind doesn’t it? Really no excuse not to give TP playing time at this point. Let’s see what he can do for at least a half against SD!

• Dakota

One last thing, remember that many of the people in here constantly harping on McFadden are those who hated him from the beginning, and who also defended the hiring of Greg knapp.

Just food for thought.

• The_Judge37

Boggles the mind indeed. Especially after series after series of Bad throws from Leinart.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Dakota Says:
    December 24th, 2012 at 7:39 am
    Geno smith is auto corrected to genocide!

Awesome!
    $$$$$$$$$

LOL

Good morning Nation & Green Party.

• hwnrdr

DA said yesterday that Pryor is not ready to be a back up qb? Well, either cut him loose or…well don’t know what to think!

• hwnrdr

What’s up O?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

KC: Geno Smith
    Jags: J Jones
    Raiders: D Moore or Star lotulelie

• Charlie

Dmac is a good example of why we are better off by building the lines with high round picks and picking up RB’s, WR’s, DB’s, LB’s with mid to lower round picks.
    (You still typically get an elite QB in the first or second round.)

That is what we are going to starting with this year’s draft. It will continue with next years draft as well.
    No accident Reggie’s first pick was an OLineman.

Reggie quote:
    “Two things _ I want to win up front, and that’s on both sides of the ball, with the big boys, but also I want to somehow affect the quarterback position and that’s by with good coverage, and corners and a free safety that’s going to pick ‘em off, or with somebody hitting them upside the head. Pass rush.”

Old school football wins every time. Guys like Fitzgerald and Johnson are fun to watch but they do not necessarily help you build a winner.

• Marks hair

Theres no reason for lienart to play ever.. bad coaches do stupid shìt.. worst staff in the league

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Hwnrdr,

Enjoying the rain and thinking about the draft.
    Who do you like as our top 3-5 pick?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Needs:
    DE
    CB
    DT
    LB
    RT
    OG/ C

Draft DE, DT, or CB in the 1st.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

I forgot to add TE, but I think we will resign Myers.

• Carl Weathers

477.hwnrdr Says:
    December 24th, 2012 at 8:02 am
    Another funny thing about yetserday…did they really show a stat of Leinhert passing for 100+ yards and posted last time he threw for a 100…really?

@@@@@@@@@@@

That… was… awesome! If I didn’t see it with my own yes I would have never believed it. 100 yards passing LMAO!! I will put money that stat has never been posted for any QB in the league EVER!!

• Marks hair

Tp was better than liono in preseason. And he was better than liono yesterdat… we have eyes. Theres no excuse for this sabotage..

• Carl Weathers

Someone should tell DA that Leinart isn’t ready to be a back up.

• R8drinOK

Hope you guys have a great Christmas…maybe the Raiders will get a late Christmas miracle when Gruden returns home! I know it’s a long shot but Raider fans need some hope…false or not!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Giants and Steelers won multiple SBs with avg OL and without investing high picks in the OL.
    Fact!

• Al_is_theraiders

people who want dmc gone really dont understand the game.

• Carl Weathers

Fire DA & Knapp & Hoffman. That is all, merry christmas!

• Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure

The_Judge37 Says:
    =======================================================

Hah. But truth is, that’d be the fastest way to see Pryor play. As I posted back in pre season, Matt has had 3 season ending injuries in his last 8 starts.

• RaiderfanNY

Yes, the coaching staff has been terrible this year. The team is clearly unprepared to play.

Yes, moving to the ZBS was a mistake, particularly when McFadden failed under it his first two years.

But it remains true that McFadden has been awful this year. He doesn’t find holes. He doesn’t break tackles. He can’t manufacture any yards on his own. He looks to me like a guy who expects to fail.

Reese is not an NFL tailback but was able to move the chains because he runs hard.

After watching every one of his carries through his career, I can’t help questioning McFadden’s — for lack of a better term — mental toughness. He doesn’t adapt to a situation or find ways to succeed. Even if he comes back next year and has a good season, who can believe that he’ll hold up, mentally or physically, in big games? I just don’t have faith in a guy who is so willing to take 2 yards play after play after play.

• Carl Weathers

HOW DO YOU NOT PLAY PRYOR YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, that is all, cheers!

• DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL

THE LINES R WHERE TO START IF U WANT TO WIN CONSISTANTLY IN THIS LEAGUE.IT TAKES TIME (DRAFTS-MORE THAN 1)PLUS PLAYING TIME TOGETHER.THEY R NOT “SEXY”PICKS, BUT THATS WHERE IT ALL STARTS..

• Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure

Al_is_theraiders Says:
    people who want dmc gone really dont understand the game.
    ====================================================

Seems like Knapp wants DMC gone. Oh, I see what you’re saying.

• hwnrdr

Raider O Says:
    December 24th, 2012 at 8:40 am
    Hwnrdr,

Enjoying the rain and thinking about the draft.
    Who do you like as our top 3-5 pick?

Sorry, a bit biased…Manti Te’o!

• http://ggeden.blogspot.com/ GG

If they release/trade Pryor, Taiwan, Ausberry, I’ll be extremely angry.

I’d rather they release Allen and Knapp to keep those three instead.

• http://ggeden.blogspot.com/ GG

Btw, this blog has never been angrier than after this game.

• Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure

Carl Weathers Says:
    ========================================================

Probably lose. Wasn’t that a big deal for Jamarcus?

• Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure

I know, here come the stats.

• Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure

GG Says:
    Btw, this blog has never been angrier than after this game.
    ====================================================

And that was without Miss Tick!

• DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL

I BELIEVE WE R SEE’N THE EXACT PLAN THE ORGANISATION HAS FOR PRYOR.A SERIES OR 2 HERE AND THERE TO END THIS SEASON.NEXT YEARS TRAINING CAMP AND PRE-SEASON HE WILL PLAY HIM SELF IN OR OUT OF THE #2 QB POSITION.OR INTO ANOTHER POSITION IF THEY THINK THATS A POSSABILITY.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Hwnrdr,

He is a good player, but not a top 5 pick IMO. Top 10-15.
    I’m not a fan of drafting LBs that high, I made an exception for McClain, and I regret that.

• RAIDERMAN99

Well, I see there are still one or two posters here defending Smiling Titty Boy and advocating for his return in 2013.

That’s fine. I strongly disagree with them and think they’re being foolish and myopic – but I can almost understand some of the rationale behind their thought process.

What I’d like to know, is there a single poster left here that is advocating for Krapp’s return in 2013 ?

No, scratch that.

What I really want to know is there a single poster left here that is even ambivalent about the possibility of Krapp returning ?

I’ll accept that some were reluctant to ‘scrap the Krapp’ during the season.

Well, that’s behind us now.

You got your wish.

Is there anyone left here that still doesn’t think that replacing Krapp should be the Raid first order of business upon completion of the 2012 debacle ?

Is there a single poster left here that still believes that the Raids can have offensive success with Krapp as OC ?

Speak up now, please.

• Carl Weathers

529.GG Says:
    December 24th, 2012 at 8:52 am
    If they release/trade Pryor, Taiwan, Ausberry, I’ll be extremely angry.

I’d rather they release Allen and Knapp to keep those three instead.

@@@@@@@@@

I forgot about Taiwan! Three explosive players that don’t see the field, brilliant!

• OneRaiderNation

“Probably lose. Wasn’t that a big deal for Jamarcus?”

JaFatA@@ didn’t do himself any favors, but let’s not forget that GREG KNAPP was his OC.

• Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure

MiamiRaider78 Says:
    All we can pray for is Palmer faking the injury…
    ======================================================

Looks pretty painful to me.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

GG Says:
    December 24th, 2012 at 8:53 am

Btw, this blog has never been angrier than after this game.
    =================================================

No doubt. Fire the coach, Fire the GM, fire the DC, fire the OC, fire the stadium staff, fire the stadium, fire the city, fire the hot dog guy, fire the…..

• J Hill

Our defense is playing well.

Houston, Bryant, and Bilikudi are young guys to build around.

I think the Oline NEEDS this top 3 pick.

EastOak’s point last night of Okung shutting down Smith just makes too much sense. Move Barnes to OG with Bergstrom.

Rookie OT from A&M
    Bergstrom
    Wiz
    Barnes
    Veldheer

RB in rd 3

• oakfshow

zoneblocking sucks,Dennis Allen sucks,bottom lip sucks

• Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure

Pastor Napoleon ‏@napoleonkaufman
    Why y’all so mad at Knapp? Is he doing that bad?
    ==================================================

Truly a man of the cloth. Way more forgiving then am I.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

J,

You want to draft a RT with our top 5 pick?

• oakfshow

503.MiamiRaider78 Says:
    December 24th, 2012 at 8:22 am

I’m sorry but I want a top 3 pick.

===================================================== You have no input guy. Playoffs remember?

• Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure

A couple more for the Gruden lovers

Pastor Napoleon Pastor Napoleon ‏@napoleonkaufman
    Why do y’all like Gruden so much? What team has he built?
    Pastor Napoleon ‏@napoleonkaufman
    In all due respect AD built those teams I was on and coach Dungy built that Tampa team. In all due respect.

• J Hill

Veldheer is a pro bowl RT, imo.

Decent LT.

Rookie steps in at LT day 1.

• Gdog

Carl Weathers Says:

>>>>

Dude… Knapp had 88 TOTAL yards vs Atl right before Cable started turning the team around in 2008.

• Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure

Keep the hot dog guy, or trade for …

• RAIDERMAN99

Not a single Krapp supporter ?

Charlie ?

Zymorge ?

Don’t care to extend the ‘continuity’ argument to Krapp ?

Good.