Grading the Raiders off Panthers game

Beat writer Jerry McDonald graded the Raiders off their 17-6 loss to the Carolina Panthers. Here are McDonald’s grades and comments:

Pass offense

Downfield passing was non-existent as Matt Leinart needed 16 completions (in 32 attempts) to gain 115 yards with no gain longer than 20. Terrelle Pryor’s 22-yard reception from Carson Palmer on a trick play screen was the longest pass play of the game. Leinart’s interception to Luke Kuechly near the end of the first half led to Carolina’s second touchdown.

Grade: D-minus

Rush offense

So much for the Raiders’ resurgent run game. A recent run of average to above-average performances gave way to 47 yards on 22 carries. Running back Darren McFadden (33 yards, 17 carries) had one 13-yard gain and the lone rushing first down. Other than that, he was running head-on into tackles, gaining 20 yards on 16 caries.

Grade: F

Pass defense

Even with starters Tyvon Branch (foot) and Phillip Adams (groin) out, the Raiders held Cam Newton reasonably in check. He was 18-for-29 for 170 yards, and grew frustrated by getting hit by a decent pass rush. Linebacker Miles Burris had an interception off a Philip Wheeler deflection. The Raiders offense failed to cash in with points.

Grade: B

Rush defense

The Raiders were diligent at staying disciplined in the read option with regard to the quarterback run or the pitch. Newton had 60 yards on 12 carries (including three kneel downs) but the bulk of his yardage came on one 29-yard scramble. DeAngelo Williams, other than 14 yards on one option pitch, had 5 yards on 10 carries.
Grade: B

Special teams

Shane Lechler pinned the Panthers inside the 20-yard line four times. Chimdi Chekwa forced a fumble on a punt return, recovered by Richard Gordon, but the offense could not convert into a touchdown. An “A” effort other than doing no damage in the return game. The Raiders’ coverage units didn’t allow Carolina to do any damage with their returns, however.

Grade: B-plus

Coaching

Offensive coordinator Greg Knapp had to adjust quickly when Carson Palmer was knocked out of the game. Whatever adjustments were made failed. Coach Dennis Allen opted to go for a first down on fourth-and-4 deep in Carolina territory with 5:09 to go, treating it as a one-score game even though his kicker is Sebastian Janikowski. Leinart threw incomplete. Defensive plan and execution was solid.

Grade: D-plus

Steve Corkran

• EricTurnerR.I.P.

The main reason I don’t like RM is the fact he’s trying to Change. Mybeloved raiders into the damn GB ..that’s not why I became a raider in my 34 years ..the raiders were different. And against the rest of the NFL!!

• CDERaider

Question for DA

How would you rate your performance this season as head coach?

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNoi_wwzbtQ Zymurge

The_Judge37 Says:
    December 24th, 2012 at 11:40 am
    Who cares if Pryor isn’t ready to be a QB, just get him some experience at this point. Playing him in the final game by no way means you’re opening the QB competition. Just play the dude.

=====

I’ve seen a lot of good reasons why not. Yet to see one good one why they should. And I mean based on facts, not on as a frustrated fan that desparately wants to believe the TP is the savior.

Let’s be real. The best play of his career to date was as a receiver catching a screen. Get him more plays like that sure. But under center where he actually has to make quick reads and adjustments when all of the feedback from the coaching staff says he’s not ready (aka not succeeding in practice) at doing this.

• RAIDERMAN99

Steve Corkran ‏@CorkOnTheNFL
    Raiders coach Dennis Allen’s day-after-game news conference begins at 1p.m. Questions for coach Allen?
    =================================================
    I’d like to know if there was a miscommunication or if some players lined up incorrectly on the 3rd and 1 pitch to DMAC that resulted in a 5 yard loss.

If not, that’s the worst play design and call I’ve ever seen.

I’d also ask what scoring a total of 3 points on opening drives the entire season says about Krapp’s scheming and game planning.

Course DA wouldn’t have an acceptable answer to that question and Cork wouldn’t ask it anyway.

Might get in the way of the free lunch.

• stablersbeard

I think the biggest problem Allen has as a head coach is not realizing that, as a guy with primarily a defensive background, he needed a strong, legitimate offensive coordinator to handle that side of the team.
    Knapp is absolutely not the guy.
    I’m hoping that Knapp was a one year placeholder, since they really didn’t have time or opportunity to get anyone better.

They’ve got a full off season this time. The search can start at around 4:30 pm next Sunday.
    I’m fully expecting to hear the news of Knapp’s firing come Monday morning….

• eastoaklandraider

DKnight007 Says:
    December 24th, 2012 at 12:08 pm
    43.John David Booty Says:
    December 24th, 2012 at 12:03 pm
    Here is the question to ask Dennis Allen:

Can you please give us your explanation as to why you should be retained next season?

^^^^^^^
    Yeah, they should also ask DA:

Do you feel the offensive system that worked really well the past two seasons needed to be completely changed by Greg Knapp and yourself and if so, than why?
    —————

DA: I dont want to get into last year and the schemes they ran, all I know is the zbs is as good a any and has proven to work in many places, and I trust Gregg to run it, he has had success in this league before and I trust he’ll get this offense moving we just have to how a little patience.

Did I nail it?

• RaiderDebo

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I guess Tebow isn’t the team player he’s been made out to be.

• Charlie

We are not trying to reinvent the wheel.
    My concern as is yours involves how long it will take because of a decade of bad drafts and being way over the cap at the start of this makeover.

I have said and continue to say 3-5 years WITH NO ADDITIONAL COACHING CHURN.

As I said I was concerned when Cable then Hue left.
    We need some consistency in system development.
    Winning is a process not a point in time.

Most of you want to change coaches every year and it simply inhibits development.
    I believe the saying goes something like; insanity is defined as continuing to do the same thing over and over again expecting different results.
    The last ten years should tell you that changing coaches will not solve for the enormous lack of talent we have on the field.

• Purvisman/Intrepid// Full Disclosure

KoolKell Says:(about Kiffin and Allen)
    Two young know nothing’s who never paid any dues in the NFL getting HC jobs and visors.
    =======================================================

Like Gruden, Shanarat, Tomlin, Madden…should I go on. OK, without the visors.

• CDERaider

The local press needs to stop giving this joker a pass and start asking him the tough questions. They are still stroking this dude because he’s not an ‘Al’ guy. They hate everything Al and will continue to blame everything on him and do what they can to usher all the Al guys out of town asap. The total attack they put on Hue last year definitely contributed to Mark’s firing. They would ask Hue trap questions and when he fell for it, they would turn them into instant hit pieces. It’s time to release the dogs on DA.

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNoi_wwzbtQ Zymurge

EricTurnerR.I.P. Says:
    December 24th, 2012 at 12:17 pm

=====

I hear ya, but that difference was and always will be Al. Without Al, there’s no way to continue that, so that next be thing is to go with proven formula that works in today’s NFL.

That is, unless you want to go find the next Al. I think Hue thought he could be that, at least based on his rebellious I’ll do whatever I want attitude. Problem is, Hue doesn’t have a fraction of the football knowledge Al did in terms of understanding both sides of the ball, evaluating talent, being able to sell players on his philosophy, innovate on cap management, and so forth.

• The_Judge37

Charlie Says:
    December 24th, 2012 at 12:16 pm
    Judge

The Texans made it to the playoffs last year.
    He had very good success with Vick in Atlanta and Schaub in Houston.
    He graduated from Sacramento State.
    ——–

Greg Knapp was ONLY a QB’s coach with Houston. He had nothing to do with their offensive success other than he shares the same philosophy with them. He had Vick running for his life, who’s most explosive plays came when Vick broke off from the play.

Why has he never lasted more than 3 years as an OC? Because the numbers prove his offenses regress in each year.

• RAIDERMAN99

“We’re here to eat, not ask tough questions”

Might be why the local Raider beat reporters NEVER break a story.

Every player transaction, coaching change, major development is ALWAYS reported on first by Schefter, the national media or another outlet.

It’s embarrassing.

• tuckrulefool

FIRE T1T5 AND THE KLAPP!

• madraiderfan

DA : should be shown the door. I’ve been a Raider fan since the late 60′s. This is a shame how far this franchise has fallen. I’m tired of wait till next year. Mark Davis needs to step up and make a decision. Is this how we are going to Honor the late Mr. Davis? You can say what you want about Mr. Davis, but he knew how to put a competitive team on the field. Lastly, TP should be playing!!!!!! Give the young man a chance. Take care Raider Nation.

• EricTurnerR.I.P.

The main problem in the raiders org right now no one HAS ANY BALLS since the great late Al Davis!!!

• radraider

eastoak; perfect,no need to watch presser.

• The_Judge37

Zymurge Says:
    December 24th, 2012 at 12:19 pm
    The_Judge37 Says:
    December 24th, 2012 at 11:40 am

=====

———–

Fact: We’re Drafting in the Top 5, Need to know what Pryor has to offer in case QB is where they want to go.

Fact: Pryor, like it or not, is our 3rd round pick.

Fact: This staff has no credibility when it comes to player evaluation.

Fact: Matt Leinert IS Matt Leinart.

Fact: Nothing to lose at this point.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Draft DE/ OLB D Moore, DT/ NT Star Lotulelie, or trade down.

• Charlie

Judge

What did Hue’s offense do last year down the stretch?

Check the games aginst the Fish, Chefs and Packers.
    We scored 28 on the Lions last year. We scored 31 on the Steelers this year. BFD.

We never moved the ball against the Bolts when we needed to in the finale and we got beat rather handily.

• The_Judge37

Charlie Says:
    December 24th, 2012 at 12:23 pm
    We are not trying to reinvent the wheel.

I have said and continue to say 3-5 years WITH NO ADDITIONAL COACHING CHURN.

As I said I was concerned when Cable then Hue left.
    We need some consistency in system development.
    Winning is a process not a point in time.

———

You DO NOT keep losers around for the sake of continuity.

If an HC shows me some kind of progress for the future, i’ll show patience

• DKnight007

50.Charlie Says:
    December 24th, 2012 at 12:16 pm
    Judge

The Texans made it to the playoffs last year.
    He had very good success with Vick in Atlanta and Schaub in Houston.
    He graduated from Sacramento State.

^^^^^^^^
    Vicks talents made Knapp look better than he was. Knapp was just a QB coach in Houston. He didn’t call the plays.

Knapp is a bad retread and he sucks.

• The_Judge37

Charlie Says:
    December 24th, 2012 at 12:31 pm
    Judge

What did Hue’s offense do last year down the stretch?

Check the games aginst the Fish, Chefs and Packers.

——–

Keep saying What did Hue do down the stretch, but what has DA done at any point this season? Wasn’t Hue in the same situation DA is in now with Salary cap and bad players? Where’s his “Pass”?

Hue’s gone, that’s fine. But doesn’t mean we should be satisfied by what’s gone on this season because our last HC couldn’t close out the Playoff run.

• eastoaklandraider

No excuses for Allen in 2013 if Reggie:

1) Addresses the oline

2) Addresses the front seven

3) Acquires vet WR
    __________________
    Also
    4) Allen fires Knapp and brings in legit OC and oline coach

• DKnight007

73.The_Judge37 Says:
    December 24th, 2012 at 12:36 pm
    Charlie Says:
    December 24th, 2012 at 12:31 pm
    Judge

What did Hue’s offense do last year down the stretch?

Check the games aginst the Fish, Chefs and Packers.

——–

^^^^^^^
    The Hue haters and DA and Knapp defenders are so freakin pathetic.

• The_Judge37

Should be no excuses for this debacle of a season either. They could’ve shown something positive this year, didn’t have to make the playoffs but damm, Two games with out a TD? 6 FG’s outside the redzone?

• DJ Johnny

89706Raider Says:
    December 24th, 2012 at 11:46 am
    #7 – Yeah, I think Allen deserves another year.
    He’s young and he’s made mistakes.
    However, by the opinion of most who have been around him, he is smart and will learn.
    Possibly his biggest fault so far is being very conservative.
    The guy has positives.
    I know this flies in the face of those on this blog who expected a Super Bowl this year on the basis of two 8-8 years.
    For those more realistic, the coaching carousel of the past 10 years hasn’t worked, so give this one another year to work out the kinks.

Nah. Nobody expected Super Bowl. That’s a stretch intended to make people look foolish for expecting a team coming off 8-8 seasons to not be the laughingstock of the league. Forget SB. How about just being somewhwat competitive and not have to endure double didgit losses every dang week.

Is that too much too ask?

C’mon.

• The_Judge37

All i ask for is progress and i’ll show patience. At this point, just stop the regression

• EricTurnerR.I.P.

I’m sorry but I just don’t believe in the concept of draft picks set u back mentality ..I mean u have other players been there longer then who u draft that should know what the hell to do or how to play the damn game!!! Its a excuse if u ask me!!

• DJ Johnny

Charlie Says:
    December 24th, 2012 at 12:31 pm
    Judge

What did Hue’s offense do last year down the stretch?

Check the games aginst the Fish, Chefs and Packers.

8-8 vs. 4-11.

Spin it anyway which way you want …it is what it is.

No spinning makes it any better, and last season was harder schedule.

• DKnight007

71.The_Judge37 Says:
    December 24th, 2012 at 12:32 pm
    Charlie Says:
    December 24th, 2012 at 12:23 pm
    We are not trying to reinvent the wheel.

I have said and continue to say 3-5 years WITH NO ADDITIONAL COACHING CHURN.

As I said I was concerned when Cable then Hue left.
    We need some consistency in system development.
    Winning is a process not a point in time.

———

You DO NOT keep losers around for the sake of continuity.

If an HC shows me some kind of progress for the future, i’ll show patience

^^^^^^^^^
    Yep….you don’t keep bad coaches around just for continuity sake. It’s a waste of time.

DA and his staff didn’t show any progress this year.

After the Atlanta game they should have kept improving, but they regressed badly.

• The_Judge37

——-

Yes, if we were at least 4-11 with losing close games, sure, i’d look foward to see what they can do next year with a few breaks their way. But blow out after blow out along with not scoring a TD against the worst team in the nfl, then a follow up of Lame Duck Leinart show with only 2 FG’s with two Turnovers deep in their territory. Oh, and losing to the Cleveland Browns at hom

• DJ Johnny

If we are talking what the offense did down the stretch, what about THIS YEAR?

My goodness, it’s horrible.

I’m not sticking up for Hue, but let’s not try to sell this carp for anything other than what it is….

• The_Judge37

DJ Johnny Says:
    December 24th, 2012 at 12:46 pm
    If we are talking what the offense did down the stretch, what about THIS YEAR?

My goodness, it’s horrible.

———

Exactly. Hating what’s going on this season has nothing to do with Hue

• DKnight007

76.The_Judge37 Says:
    December 24th, 2012 at 12:38 pm

^^^^^^^^^
    After an two 8-8 seasons….DA and his staff couldn’t get this this team to compete.

They were ill prepared for games and they couldn’t make adjustments in the 2nd half of games.

Just so many soooo many mistakes with this coaching staff.

• eastoaklandraider

What did Hue’s offense do last year down the stretch?

————–

Hue offense was ranked 9th in the league lat year period, what are we this year?

We kiiled SD for the most part last year but our D couldnt force 1 punt in the finale in which we put up over 500 yards of offense without DMC

What did Hue do down the stretch? what has DA done in any stretch? and he has had DMC almost the whole year, its obivious DMC is not giving full effort and doesnt like this scheme or the coaches ala Randy Moss.

• http://ggeden.blogspot.com/ GG

STEVE CORKRAN

QUESTIONS FOR DENNIS ALLEN FROM GG

Q: Mr Allen, at any stage this season, have you contemplated stripping Greg Knapp of play-calling duties?

Q: Will you be retaining Greg Knapp next season as OC, or will you be interviewing new candidates?

Q: Instead of hiring Greg Knapp as OC, why didn’t you promote Al Saunders and continue in place the existing offense?

Q: Do you agree that smart coaches tailor an offense around the rosters strengths and skills?

Q: Do you think that the coaches have failed this season to utilize more all the playmakers on the offensive roster — involving them in more plays and packages that suit their skill sets, that not only keep your offense more unpredictable, but that also help those young players gain more confidence, experience, feel more enthused being involved, and speeds up their development.

• CanuckRaider

Sack Knapp!

• eastoaklandraider

This offense has showed ZERO progress from opening night against SD, ZERO!!!

• The_Judge37

Questions for Dennis Allen from the Judge:

Q: Why don’t you go Fk yourself?

Q: Hey what are you still doing here, I though i told you to go Fk youself?

• http://ggeden.blogspot.com/ GG

#90 lol.

How about: “Hey Dennis, show us yer tits”

• eastoaklandraider

Guess we ran Charlies DA loving ass outta here.

• Charlie

The point I keep trying to make is that coaching “success” or progress has far more to do with on the field talent as opposed to scheme, motivation or in game adjustments and play calls.

The examples I have showed you are proven “winners” who started off poorly TILL THEY GOT BETTER TALENT.

I am not saying for a minute that DA reminds me of Gruden or Madden or Bilichick or Shanahan.

What I am saying is that our talent level is far lower than many of you care to accept. Compound that with key injuries and you have a recipe for disaster. Hue corrected his one big injury by taking away key draft picks. Do you think we would have been 8-8 with Bollar? He also had Bush to cover for Dmac. With all the cap issues we could not afford Bush. All Hue did was mortgage our future a bit more than Mr Davis did.
    That is why no experinced HC would come near this place and it is why DA has a 4 year deal.
    This is a 3-5 year project.

With an 8-8 team being $20 million over the cap and no first or second round picks how would we get better in one year?

• DKnight007

82.The_Judge37 Says:
    December 24th, 2012 at 12:45 pm
    ——-

^^^^^^^^^
    It just shows me that most of this team doesn’t give a crap and did not buy what DA and his crappy coaches were selling. It’s obvious.

The team always came out unprepared for games and the coaching staff hardly ever made proper in game, let alone half time adjustments!

• RaiderIsland

Greg Papa, now on the Game: Terrell Pryor is only capable of a handful of plays. He is now not capable of a 60 plays playbook, and I don’t think he will ever be capable. Watching Pryor in practice before Carolina game, he was doing everything wrong. 3 step drops he would still drop back 5 steps. fundamentals are all wrong. Even the trick play they ran during the game I didn’t think they would even run because Pryor kept throwing it short to Palmer, bouncing the ball.
    Asked what he would do with Pryor:
    Papa: “trade him.”

• DKnight007

How about my Lakers schooling the W’s again??

That loss hurts the W’s fans here. I know it! haha

Merry Xmas chumps! Lol

• The_Judge37

91. GG – You’re questions were better, except i can already hear the mumblings of an extremly generic answer.

• DKnight007

95.RaiderIsland Says:
    December 24th, 2012 at 1:01 pm
    Asked what he would do with Pryor:
    Papa: “trade him.”

^^^^^^^^
    Reason he is only capable of handful of plays is because he does not get any reps.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

“At midseason, most fans were blaming Tim Ruskell for this lost Seahawks season. Well, he’s gone now and the Hawks have only gotten worse, so now those No. 1 fan fingers are pointing directly at coach Jim Mora.

And Mora’s foam finger should be pointing at his offensive coordinator.

There’s a good reason most of us greeted Greg Knapp with a yawn and dismissive wave of the hand (with fingers crossed in hope) when Mora brought his old 49er and Falcon buddy to Seattle. Knapp’s offenses have been like Geo Metros: They run fine, but they can’t pass.

Whatever they do, the Seahawks have to get rid of Knapp. If he comes back in 2010, it will be more of the same offensive dysfunction. And Mora will have sealed his fate through his allegiance to a failed offensive coach .”

Part of Article RE : Greg Knapp with seattle

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Obviously deluding himself, Knapp told reporters Wednesday that his players still believe in him and his system.

“Most definitely,” he said. “A lot of it, too, is just growth with each other. What do certain guys do well? A lot of times that doesn’t occur until games when you find out which plays are good for which individuals…with me getting to know what routes are best for certain receivers and tight ends and the more reps we get of that, the closer we’ll get to being more consistent.”

OK, but Knapp has had a full season to figure out what everyone does well, and the offense has only gotten worse. There has been zero growth. None. Nada. Zip. Diddly squat.

In the first half of the season, Knapp had the built-in excuse of injuries to his offensive line, which at one point was down to its fifth left tackle and third left guard. But the Hawks have been pretty healthy in the second half, and they have been blown out in almost every game.”

RE: GREG KNAPP in his 2nd season with seattle. Article on him right before JIM MORA/ KNAPP were canned for PETE CARROLL