Leinart thinks he deserves to start, understands need to play Pryor

By Steve Corkran
Thursday, December 27th, 2012 at 3:47 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Matt Leinart is like any other quarterback in that he wants to play and not spend every week preparing for an opportunity that never comes. Yet, he’s also cognizant of the fact that the Raiders need to take a long look at second-year quarterback Terrelle Pryor at some point.
Coach Dennis Allen said he is unsure whether to start Leinart or Pryor in place of injured regular Carson Palmer on Sunday against the San Diego Chargers in the regular-season finale.
“In this situation, I deserve to play, I deserve to start,” Leinart said. “But I’m not sure what’s going to happen. … If they want to start Terrelle and evaluate him and see what he can do, then I’ll support that and I’ll help him this week and help him during the game. But if they make me the starter and stuff, I’m just going to go out there and try to capitalize on that opportunity.”
Leinart last started a game Nov. 27, 2011, when he replaced injured Houston Texans starter Matt Schaub. Leinart suffered a broken collarbone that game and missed the remainder of the season.
Now, Leinart has one game to show enough for the Raiders to bring him back for a second season. Leinart is slated to be an unrestricted free agent after this season.
Problem is, the Raiders also have only one more game to take a long look at Pryor, a player that hasn’t played more than three snaps in any game during his two seasons with the Raiders.
“In Terrelle’s (case), he’s young, he’s had a big-time college career, and just given the unique dynamic of the situation, I don’t think they’re sure what they have in him,” Leinart said. “He hasn’t played in a game — just preseason. I do understand that football part of it and the business part of the game but I can’t control all that stuff.”
Getting a chance to play also would give Leinart an opportunity to put on tape a game for other teams to evaluate next offseason, if the Raiders opt to go another direction.
“I still feel I have a lot to prove at this point of my career,” Leinart said. “No matter what the naysayers say, I do feel like I still can play. I do feel like that, and I’ll play like that until the day I retire. But you’re only given so many opportunities in this league. That’s why this weekend would be awesome.”
Offensive coordinator Greg Knapp is faced with the task of preparing game plans for two quarterbacks with distinct skill sets — Leinart the pure pocket passer, Pryor the mobile, athletic quarterback.
Yet, Knapp isn’t fazed, given he once faced a similar situation when he had to do likewise with Michael Vick and Matt Schaub with the Atlanta Falcons.
“What we’re trying to do is o get both guys ready,” Knapp said. “Both guys need reps right now because they really didn’t have any reps going into last week when Carson got hurt. It’s always the starter that’s been getting a lot of reps. So, we want to have both ready. We’ll know after tomorrow’s practice. But we’ve been splitting reps both, and we have to have a little bit of a game plan for both available.”

– It’s likely that rookie Tony Bergstrom will make his NFL starting debut Sunday at right guard in place of injured regular Mike Brisiel (ankle).
Knapp said he is impressed with the progress made by Bergstrom so far. He’s also realistic about tempering expectations for a player making his first start, on the road.
“He’s going to go through some growing pains like any new player would,” Knapp said. “I feel good about him. I like what I’ve seen in practice. I also have seen the rookie mistakes that I know this might show up in a game. But I’m looking forward to get him some reps to see him play live if he has to play.
“He’s prepared. He’s one of the first guys in the building. When asked questions in meetings he’s always on top of his information and the right assignments. I feel like he’s ready to play now. He’s going to go through some growing pains but he’s certainly earned the right to be on the field.”
Bergstrom has played sparingly this season, mostly as an extra blocker on certain plays. He has worked at offensive tackle and guard as a means of making himself more versatile and thereby more valuable as a backup.
He said he is ready to take the next step toward being an every-down player.
“I feel confident in what I’ve been doing,” said Bergstrom, Oakland’s third-round draft pick in April. “I feel good at the position. We’ll see what happens. I feel ready to roll.”

– Allen said he feels as if the season turned in by kicker Sebastian Janikowski was impressive enough for Janikowski to earn a spot on the AFC roster in the Pro Bowl.
“A little bit,” Allen said, when asked if he was surprised Janikowski got beat out by the Browns Phil Dawson. “Obviously, those are tough situations, because Phil Dawson had a strong year also, but we certainly felt like Seabass was very deserving and very worthy of that honor.”
Dawson convetered 28 of 29 field-goal attempts through the first 15 games this season. Janikowski made 31 of 34, with his misses coming from 51, 61 and 64 yards.
Janikowski rarely makes an appearance in the locker room during the media-access period each day, so he was unavailable for comment.

– It’s not difficult to find clues into what the Raiders roster is going to look like in 2013 and beyond. Time and again, Allen takes the time to rave about certain players, no doubt sending a message to others about how they should comport themselves.
On Thursday, Allen sang the praises of rookie linebacker Miles Burris, who has started every game this season.
“In terms of his energy, it’s been there the whole time,” Allen said. “He’s the type of player that we’re looking for as far as a guy, he loves football, he’s willing to work and he’s got a team attitude. Those are the characteristics of the guys that we’re really looking for, and he fits that mold to a tee. You don’t anticipate a fourth-round draft choice out of San Diego starting for you for the whole season. But he earned that right and got himself into that position.”

– So far, we know who the Raiders are playing in 15 of their 16 games in 2013. The Raiders won’t know their final opponent until Sunday’s games are played.
Here’s a look at the 14 common games for the four AFC West teams:
1. Six home-and-away games against divisional foes.
2. Four games against the AFC South — Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars and Tennessee Titans.
3. Four games against the NFC East — Washington Redskins, New York Giants, Dallas Cowboys and Philadelphia Eagles.
The final two games are based upon where each team in the AFC West finishes. The Raiders are the third-place team out of the AFC West, so they play the third-place team from the AFC North — Pittsburgh Steelers — at home and the third-place team from the AFC East on the road.
As of now, the New York Jets are the third-place team in the AFC East. However, if the Jets beat the Buffalo Bills and the New England Patriots beat the Dolphins on Sunday, the Jets and Dolphins would flop places.
If things play out that way, the Raiders would play the Dolphins on the road for the third straight season.
Here are the games that are different for the AFC West teams:
Raiders — Steelers and Jets/Dolphins
Broncos — Patriots, Ravens
Chiefs — Browns, Bills
Chargers — Bengals, Jets/Dolphins
So, before anyone rails about the difficulty of the Raiders schedule, remember that the only difference in the schedules of the four AFC West teams is the two games based on where they finish in the standings.
Therefore, in theory, the Broncos have the toughest schedule for 2013, with the Chargers next, followed by the Raiders and Chiefs.

• RaiderDebo

Raider O Says:
    December 28th, 2012 at 10:45 am
    Vick: 56+ CMP %, 81 INTs, and 85 fumbles.
    CP: 62+ CMP %, 130 INTs, and 37 fumbles.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Please add rushing stats, victories and playoff victories please. Thank you.

RaiderDebo Says:
    December 28th, 2012 at 10:48 am
    Raider O Says:
    December 28th, 2012 at 10:45 am
    Vick: 56+ CMP %, 81 INTs, and 85 fumbles.
    CP: 62+ CMP %, 130 INTs, and 37 fumbles.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Please add rushing stats, victories and playoff victories please. Thank you.

—-

Ouch..

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

Zymurge Says:
    December 28th, 2012 at 10:46 am
    tuckrulefool Says:
    December 28th, 2012 at 8:04 am
    Out of the box thinking….

Cut or Trade Palmer…

Then sign Fitzpatrick once hes cut…incentive cap friendly 1 yr deal…with teh promise of a shot at starting in 13….

let him and pryor go at it…best man wins..and u have a good backup option eitehr way shoudl someone falter or get hurt during season….Need two options ready to go in this NFL (see Boller, See Leinert (this yr and last yr with Texans))

Fitzpatrick would/should be a lot cheaper option than Palmer. Plus hes younge and I actually like the moxie of Fitz.

Thoughts?

====

Brilliant post in the Fitzpatrick thread from the Bills bloggers. Look familiar to anyone?

“Yes, its an outrage that Fitzpatrick is starting when they have Tarvaris Jackson! Why are they holding J-Jax back? Why did they trade for him if they aren’t going to play him? It is disrespectful they way they have treated a guy who’s won at every level and DESERVES a shot! Maybe they know he will win if he starts this week and that will make management look bad for waiting so long to unleash him! Why are they holding him back? FREE T-JAX!

Yes, Tebowmaniacs, that was for you. Sounds a little crazy, eh?”
    ===================

this doesnt compare to the raider situation at all.

However it is funny that fitz stinks so badly that jackson is now a topic.

No buffalo has two qbs that arent good enough jackson and fitz have both been starters in the nfl. Both are veterans.

pryor is young unknown, compared to lienart and palmer both qb washout draft bust

Palmer isnt a bust.

• oakfshow

With the first overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft the Oakland Raiders select?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

I’m not sure about rushing stats, but I know Vick has more rushing yards in ONE season than CP’s entire career (maybe college too lol).

oakfshow Says:
    December 28th, 2012 at 10:53 am
    With the first overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft the Oakland Raiders select?

—-

Jadeveon Clowney

• hwnrdr

oakfshow Says:
    December 28th, 2012 at 10:53 am
    With the first overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft the Oakland Raiders select?

Be careful what you wish for…and no, i do not want to see that!

• DennisAllensVisor

If you tell me we wil suck next year, but end up with Clowney in the draft, I will be totally happy.

• hwnrdr

Raider O Says:
    December 28th, 2012 at 10:53 am

True but why are we comparing Palmer and Vick?

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNoi_wwzbtQ Zymurge

tonedeezy Says:
    December 28th, 2012 at 10:44 am
    LA to TheBay Says:
    December 28th, 2012 at 8:53 am
    I like Allen.

Emotion doesn’t work for everyone. I would rather have a guy who is in control of his emotions stay that way than have him act all over the top — or vice versa.
    [snip]
    ____________________________________

posts like this save this place.

DA and Reggie are both incredibly conservative, and that hasn’t been the Raider way. that’s what is pissing most people off.

however, this team has improved overall this season, and the players keep fighting and they’re slightly more disciplined.
    i like what i’ve heard from DA, love how he handles the players, and I see a lot of positives despite also seeing many headscratchers.
    we’ve already invested in DA’s rookie mistakes, it would be a shame to let some other team cash in.

=====

Amen! We knew (but most seem to have forgotten) the rookie factor coming in and that you have to pay for the learning curve. There was no better year than 2012 to do that since the roster was hosed from cap repair anyway. Why, or why do people want to knee jerk now and throw away an investment in training a new HC and DC when it will juststart paying off next season?

I guess people are just too conditioned to the Al way of the quick trigger. For me, I hope that I’m not in Al’s mode of not being sure if I’ll be around next year (especially after surviving the Mayan apocolypse!) so I’m happy to try this slow and steady rebuild and see if that works over the next few seasons.

On the other hand, a slow pragmattic, multi-year development plan would take away about 80% of the drama here and make it more boring blog :-p

Vick/Pryor ’13

• The Big Banana

Vick? Lol. Pass. Let’s see what we have in Pryor, please.

• LA to TheBay

posts like this save this place.

—-

Aw shucks

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

DennisAllensVisor Says:
    December 28th, 2012 at 10:52 am

Palmer isnt a bust.
    ==============

he isnt?

Drafted number one by the bugles and left by quitting on the couch with out a playoff win in his entire stay?

Certainly the trade that brought him her was a major bust

8-17 37 turnovers?

Id say this is a bust, you must have a different meaning for the word

• DutchRaider77

@Mistic1

Read your post above: “Now palmer has been exposed once and for all fr a bungle stripped sad sack loser that cant get out of his own way. He is unfit and about as sought after as a one legged hooker with herpes.”

Yeah sounds like a impartial observation about the skill set of QB. Sounds like analysis that would come from ESPN.

Find me a post where I didn’t support JC when he was a Raider? Show me a post where I wasn’t excited about Pryor being the future QB of the Raiders, that it would be so exciting for the legacy of Al if he was the last draft pick. I wanted to see Pryor on the field in any capacity, I thought it was great the way that the 9ers used Kappy on some gimmick plays and was hoping we could use Pryor in the same way.

Never said one bad word about Newton or RGIII, actually I was called out on this board for saying RGIII was the real deal and citing to Madden’s glowing evaluation of him.

I did call you out for the term “Wave of the Future” because it was coined describing the Nazi party and has serious racial superiorty overtures.

Seems like you never see how much Pryor likes Carson Palmer, that he thinks of him as a Brother/Father figure. That he is sad that Palmer is not going to be able to travel because he wants him to watch him play.

Don’t worry I don’t expect you to understand, you are so filled with hate, I don’t think you can look at the world rationally. I don’t hate or even dislike you Mistic, I feel sorry for you. Heck, I hope the next Raiders QB is black, so you will be happy again.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

DennisAllensVisor Says:
    December 28th, 2012 at 10:47 am
    Raider O Says:
    December 28th, 2012 at 10:45 am
    Vick: 56+ CMP %, 81 INTs, and 85 fumbles.
    CP: 62+ CMP %, 130 INTs, and 37 fumbles.

—-

AHA!

Vick has less turnovers!!!

Less pick 6’s, thats for sure.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$

-Vick has more Fumbles 85 compare to CP’s 37.
    -CP has 30000 passing yards, 189 TDs, and 130 INTs.
    -Vick has 20000 passing yards, 122 TDs, and 81 INTs.

So yes, Vick has less TOs Total, but he also has less yards and TDs.

• Charlie

Palmer NFL rank 16 QBR 85.3
    Vick NFL Rank 24 QBR 79.2

What is the fascination with Vick?
    As I said earlier a guy like Vick is what has been wrong with the Raiders for the past decade.
    Paying money for someone way past their prime that is running on fumes looking for a final paycheck.
    Not happening.

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    December 28th, 2012 at 10:57 am
    DennisAllensVisor Says:
    December 28th, 2012 at 10:52 am

Palmer isnt a bust.
    ==============

he isnt?

Certainly the trade that brought him her was a major bust

8-17 37 turnovers?

Id say this is a bust, you must have a different meaning for the word

—-

That trade was a bust for sure.

His numbers dont match a bust for sure tho.

• No Mas Diamante

DutchRaider77 Says:
    December 28th, 2012 at 10:58 am
    @Mistic1

**************************************************************************************************************
    Very rational post. Well done Dutch.

Raider O Says:
    December 28th, 2012 at 10:58 am
    DennisAllensVisor Says:
    December 28th, 2012 at 10:47 am
    Raider O Says:
    December 28th, 2012 at 10:45 am
    Vick: 56+ CMP %, 81 INTs, and 85 fumbles.
    CP: 62+ CMP %, 130 INTs, and 37 fumbles.

—-

AHA!

Vick has less turnovers!!!

Less pick 6’s, thats for sure.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$

-Vick has more Fumbles 85 compare to CP’s 37.
    -CP has 30000 passing yards, 189 TDs, and 130 INTs.
    -Vick has 20000 passing yards, 122 TDs, and 81 INTs.

So yes, Vick has less TOs Total, but he also has less yards and TDs.

—-

Vick also missed what, 2 years, in prison..

• DennisAllensVisor

Vick has 6 years in the league as a starter. 6.

Read that again. 6 years.

1 year lost to injury, 2 years as a backup, 2 years in prison.

• LA to TheBay

LOL at Vick coming to the Oakland Choirboys.

Bringing in Tom Brady would be more realistic.

• No Mas Diamante

Why are we talking about vick? He is a fumbling machine and well past his prime. Outplayed and replaced by a rookie. Stick a fork in him cause he’s done…

• Al_is_theraiders

if half the roster will be replaced, can we expect a 2 win season now?

• Al_is_theraiders

makes sense reggie replaced half the roster from the previous year….8-8 to 4-12 so next year if trend holds 2-14….

• The_Judge37

775.Al_is_theraiders Says:
    December 28th, 2012 at 11:06 am
    if half the roster will be replaced, can we expect a 2 win season now?
    ——————

New Offensive Coordinator will need at least a year to teach the new guys… All part of DA’s 4 year plan to stay employed.

No Mas Diamante Says:
    December 28th, 2012 at 11:06 am

—-

Outplayed and replaced?…

You spelled ‘he got hurt’ wrong.

• RaidO

No Mas Diamante Says:
    December 28th, 2012 at 11:06 am
    ———————————-

The whole eagle O line got injured. Vick will do well with a decent O line and a coach that knows how to use him correctly. They have him throwing 50 times a game.

LA to TheBay Says:
    December 28th, 2012 at 11:05 am
    LOL at Vick coming to the Oakland Choirboys.

Bringing in Tom Brady would be more realistic.

—-

Tebow it is then.

Sign him up..

• No Mas Diamante

Out of all the rookie qb’s this year in the nfl I would have to say that I am most impressed with Andrew Luck closely followed by Russell Wilson and then RG III. I like RG III a lot but I don’t think He’s going to have a long career. He was very luck he didn’t do more damage to that kneee.

• Charlie

Palmer has done OK for what he has had to work with.
    Another reason for my line focus. Build the lines and your skill guys get better.
    You want to see busts?:

ROUNDS ONE AND TWO THE LAST 10 YEARS.
    2002 Phillip Buchanon, Nap Harris, Langston Walker, Doug Jolley
    2003 Nnamdi, Tyler Brayton, Teyo Johnson
    2004 Robert Gallery, Jake Grove
    2005 Fabian Washington, Stanford Routt
    2006 Michael Huff, Thomas Howard
    2007 JAMRCUS RUSSELL, Zack Miller
    2008 DMAC
    2009 DHB, Mike Mitchell
    2010 Rolando McClain, Lamarr Houston
    2011 Stefan Wiz

We have a few on this list that are too early to judge but for the most part, this draft history is why we are a doormat. Couple this reason for a MASSIVE lack of roster talent with huge cap issues and injuries and you have the big reasons for 2012.

Knapp, QB performance all rank up there with Raiderette enthusiasm and length of coliseum grass as why we are 4-11.

• The_Judge37

First Alex Smith, now Mike Vick? This coaching staff has obviously brought us to the brink of madness

• RaidO

CP is owed $17 mil next year. If Vick is cut i would rather they try to bring in Vick than another year of INT machine Palmer.

Free Agents:
    QB – Mike Vick
    LB – Chase Blackburn
    DT – Justin Bannan
    NT – Ricky Jean-Francois
    DE/OLB – Trevor Scott

Draft:
    1 – Bjoern Werner [DE]
    3 – Kyle Long [RT]
    4 – Tyrann Matthieu [DB/KR]
    5 – Zaviar Gooden [LB]

• RaidO

I think the next team Vick goes to he will get back to this:

Michael Vick Eagles 2010 Highlights

• John David Booty

Both Vick and Palmer have proven many times in both of their careers that they can be very good players. Theyve also shown that they could be very bad players.

What has always been the common denominator? The scheme and offense that theyre in.

Both of these guys can play football. Compare their styles are apples and oranges.

Bottom line, its not gonna matter WHO the QB is here, if we dont have creative playcallers that know how to best take advantage of their skill sets.

People are arguing over QB. We really need to be focused on who will be calling the shots for the offense next season. Thats going to be one of the biggest, if not the singular biggest need this offseason. Figuring out what direction our offense is going next season. D-Moore, DHB, Reece, Ausberry, Jones, all completely wasted this year, and were not given any opportunity to develop into anything better. We were handicapped by Knapp all season, yes, including Carson Palmer.

Raiders need to get it together.

• DutchRaider77

NO ALEX SMITH!!!!!

Wouldn’t mind seeing Vick and dare I say it would be Al Davis like move?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

RaiderDebo Says:
    December 28th, 2012 at 10:48 am
    Raider O Says:
    December 28th, 2012 at 10:45 am
    Vick: 56+ CMP %, 81 INTs, and 85 fumbles.
    CP: 62+ CMP %, 130 INTs, and 37 fumbles.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Please add rushing stats, victories and playoff victories please. Thank you.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I couldn’t find that stat (espn and NFL.com) without adding adding wins/ losses from every season.
    Can you please post these stats. I’m Intetested in the results.

• The Big Banana

DennisAllensVisor Says:
    December 28th, 2012 at 11:04 am
    Vick has 6 years in the league as a starter. 6.

Read that again. 6 years.

1 year lost to injury, 2 years as a backup, 2 years in prison.

——-

Who cares how many years he’s been a starter. Palmer and Vick have played in just about the same number of games, 122 vs 120.

Vick – 213 all purpose yards per game
    Palmer – 244

Vick – 1.38 TOs per game
    Palmer – 1.48

Vick – 1.3 TDs per game
    Palmer – 1.63

Vick – 56.3 Comp %
    Palmer – 62.5

Are we really clamoring for .1 less turnovers per game, with less yardage, comp %, and TDs too? Come on, people.

• The_Judge37

788.DutchRaider77 Says:
    December 28th, 2012 at 11:13 am
    NO ALEX SMITH!!!!!

Wouldn’t mind seeing Vick and dare I say it would be Al Davis like move?
    ——-

Yes, but i’d be like a last decade Al Davis like move.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

DutchRaider77 Says:
    December 28th, 2012 at 10:58 am
    @Mistic1

======

this is called cold hard truth.

Losers quit on their teams, palmer did that.

Sad sacks turn the ball over and drown in losing plamer did that here.

He is unfit, see plamers inactive status.

He isnt highly regarded by most observers fans media and former players all see this. He is unattractive and wont bring much value in return in a trade.

You were one of the idiots that tried to tell me that palmer was an instant upgrade over jc. i will not forget who you really are dutch.

colorful language doesnt equal hate

sorry that your hero flopped and my predictions and commentary hurt your feelings

• No Mas Diamante

I like your list Dennis visor except for Vick. I would rather make a move for Flynn. Vick is nearing the end and is only a stopgap at best. See what Pryor has to offer and go get flynn.

No Mas Diamante Says:
    December 28th, 2012 at 11:15 am

—-

Would make even more sense to get Vick, and let Pryor develop for 2 years..

• DennisAllensVisor

Flynn couldnt beat out a rookie QB, please pass.

• RaidO

Yes Vick is getting old and so is CP and based on $17 mil owed next year to CP. If Raiders had a choice:

Vick > Palmer

• Gdog

Mistic is here… the IQ vacuum. The chances of intelligent debate = zero.

I will try back later…

• poprox13

you guys are insane, first Smith, now Vick. smh

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

im out too much whining from guys that cant just admit they were wrong

• RaidO

There is all this talk about Vick getting cut by the Eagles. Hey Palmer is owed $17 mil next. Palmer may get cut to.