Allen setting sights on 2013 and beyond

By Steve Corkran
Monday, December 31st, 2012 at 2:41 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Raiders coach Dennis Allen survived the so-called Black Monday, the day NFL teams routinely jettison head coaches and general managers. Yet, as expected, someone had to pay for the team’s 4-12 season with their jobs.
“I said this from the very beginning, I’m not in this for a one-year deal,” Allen said. “I’m in this long-term. I’m in this to build this thing the right way. And I’m excited about looking forward to the future and where this organization is going to go.”
As it turned out, the future won’t include offensive coordinator Greg Knapp, offensive line coach Frank Pollack, special teams coordinator Steve Hoffman and linebackers coach Johnny Holland. Allen fired those four Monday morning.
Allen said he doesn’t “anticipate” firing any other coaches. There was plenty of speculation on whether defensive coordinator Jason Tarver would survive a season in which the Raiders allowed 443 points, more than last season and the third-most per game in franchise history.
The fact the Raiders held the Chiefs, Panthers and Chargers to an average of 13.7 the final three games, including a shutout of the Chiefs, no doubt helped Tarver’s cause.
“I was pleased with where Jason was,” Allen said. “J.T. does a good job for us. He’s a very smart football coach. He, like all of us, he’s the first time in that position, and so we all go through a learning curve in that position and that’s something we’ve looked at throughout this organization, guys that are the first time doing that particular job, and we’ll grow from it.”
For now, it’s on to 2013, without dwelling too much on the season that ended Sunday the same way it started, with a loss to the San Diego Chargers.
The Raiders tied for the third-worst record in the league, with three of their victories coming over the 2-14 Chiefs and Jaguars. They lost 11 games or more for the eighth time in 10 seasons.
Through it all, Allen sees a time when the Raiders do more than muddle along and experience things greater than moral victories and emptiness at season’s end.
“Listen, at the end the day, you are who you are,” Allen said in owning the fact the Raiders finished 4-12. “You are what your record says you are. Do I think we can play better and have enough talent on this team to be better than we were? Yeah. We feel short in that area.
“But that’s the past. I’m looking toward the future. We’re looking to build this team the right way. We’re going to get the right players, we’re going to get the right coaches and we’re going to build this organization the way it’s supposed to be done and we’re going to get back to the glory days of the Oakland Raiders.”
To that end, Allen said, he and general manager Reggie McKenzie met several times within the past few weeks in an effort to identify which of their prospective free agents they are interested in re-signing.
“We’ve identified those guys that we’re trying to get back and we’re in the process,” Allen said. “How long that process takes, at the end of the day Reggie will handle that part of it. But we’ve met a lot over the last few weeks and where we’re going as an organization and what we’re looking to do. We’ve got a clear plan of what we’re trying to get done.”
It’s a safe bet that McKenzie will target players such as linebacker Philip Wheeler, running back Mike Goodson and defensive end Matt Shaughnessy in an attempt to get them back in the mix before they are eligible for unrestricted free agency in March.
Even then, there’s still plenty of work to do, countless positions to be filled, problem areas to be fixed and moves that need to be made between now and the start of next season.
The foundation has been laid, though, Allen said.
“Our guys really understand what they’re going to be accountable for and the things we’re looking for in a football team and the things we’re looking for in players,” Allen said. “They also understand that we have to develop that leadership in the locker room that will allow us to sustain success over a long period of time.
“This is a players game. Players make plays and the best teams are able at some point in time to hand the keys to the car over to the players and they’re able to run the program the way it needs to be run. We’re not at that point yet but we’re developing that every day.”

– Allen declined to go into detail on how he plans on proceeding with displaced middle linebacker Rolando McClain.
Therefore, we’ll lay it out for you.
The Raiders kept McClain on the roster the final three games after he returned from a two-game suspension for conduct detrimental to the team for one reason: in the hope that they can peddle him via trade and get a draft pick or two in return.
There’s almost no conceivable way that the Raiders bring back McClain next season, not after the way he behaved, not after he got replaced by rookie Miles Burris in the nickel package and certainly not at the salary he is slated to receive.
Of course, the other teams are aware of that, too, so they likely won’t offer much, if anything, for McClain. If they have any interest, they simply can wait until the Raiders release McClain.
It’s worth a shot, though.

– Quarterback Carson Palmer missed the regular-season finale with broken ribs and a bruised lung. Allen said he expects Palmer to make a full recovery and be the Raiders quarterback next season.
“To my knowledge, there’s no long-term implications,” Allen said. “To my knowledge, he’s going to make a full recovery and be fine.”
Palmer suffered his injury against the Carolina Panthers on Dec. 23 and was placed on season-ending injured reserve. He is slated to earn $13 million in base salary next season.
The Raiders would take a massive hit against the salary cap if they opted to trade or release Palmer. Also, they don’t have another proven option on their roster.

– Running back Darren McFadden averaged 5.2 yards rushing in 2010 and 5.4 last season, when Hue Jackson called the plays. This season, that figure dipped to 3.3.
That played a part in Allen’s decision to fire Knapp and Pollack. It doesn’t sound as if the Raiders have any plans to part ways with McFadden, though.
“I like Darren,” Allen said. “He’s a good running back, he’s an explosive player and I’m hoping that he can continue to produce in the future.”
McFadden has one year remaining on his rookie contract.

– Allen said he considered Al Saunders for the offensive coordinator position before he hired Knapp last offseason. Saunders is back in the mix now.
“We’re going to look at all the possible options,” Allen said.
Allen also made it clear that he isn’t looking for a coach that runs a specific system.
“I believe the zone scheme running scheme is a productive running scheme,” Allen said. “Obviously we didn’t have the success that we needed to have and there were a lot of factors that contributed into that. I’m not tied to a specific system. I’m tied to trying to find out what our players can do really well and try to put them in those positions to give them a chance to have success. I’m looking for production and execution, and that’s where we have to be better.
Allen added that he is fully aware of the success McFadden enjoyed under Jackson.
“There were some good things that were done the year prior as far as what they did, the execution,” Allen said. “What I want to do is get the right guy for the job. I’m not tied into the system but I want to make sure that we’re able to be a successful, productive offense. We have to have some rhythm and some explosiveness in our offense.”

– The Raiders set league records for penalties (163) and penalty yards (1,358) in 2011. Therefore, there was bound to be improvement this season in that regard.
Sure enough, the Raiders reduced their penalties by one-third and finished with 108 for 939 yards. Both figures were the eighth-highest in the league.
So, there’s still work to be done in that area, as well. Call it progress, at least by comparison.

– Second-year quarterback Terrelle Pryor watched the tape from his starting debut and came away impressed by some things, bothered by others.
Seems fair, given he was thrust into a tough situation after spending most of his first two seasons on the bench as the No. 3 quarterback and not receiving many reps with the first-team offense.
“I haven’t had a lot of reps with the guys, so it’s tough to be on (the same) page,” Pryor said. “But, just for going out and having fun and trying to get some plays, draw ‘em up and make them work, I thought we did a decent job.”
Agreed. I watched the tape last night and felt as if Pryor acquitted himself well, all things considered.
Sure, he still needs work on his accuracy, timing and touch, but he did a nice job commanding the huddle, avoiding penalties and sacks and keeping alive plays with his feet.
If nothing else, he showed enough to warrant a longer look next season.
“Definitely it’s something to build off of. I wish we could have won, obviously, but it’s something to build off of,” Pryor said. “I’m very excited that I started. I can go home and can feel like somehow hold my head up high that I accomplished one of my goals of starting at least one game and lead the guys like I know how to do.”
Pryor said he intends to work on things such as his touch and completing passes in the face of pressure. He is hopeful that his teammates will be just as committed.
“When the (coordinator) gets in here, I’m going to be in here and I want to know exactly, I want the playbook, I want to start getting on it,” Pryor said. “Now we leaders that are going to step up and say, ‘Alright, you guys get on our back, and I’m going to lead.’ That’s what we need from guys. We’re going to have that starting in February. I hope guys are accountable, we can hold guys accountable to be here and get some good work in here in February, when they open the doors.”
With that, we close the doors on the 2012 season.

– Join me tomorrow as we ring in the new year with a Raiders live chat at noon PDT.

– Follow me on Twitter at @corkonthenfl

• J Hill

It’s dUUUUUUURRRRRRRteeeee!!!!!!

Wassup bruh

• DennisAllensVisor

Dakota Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 8:53 am
    KC wants Andy Reid.

—-

Arizona will get him.

• hwnrdr

The Realist Dirty Raccoon Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 8:51 am
    Mornin J Hill, Dakota, Hwndr, JFB, NATION!

What’s up, Raccoon?

• theghostronin79

Anybody see that RUDE hit Clowney put on Robinson the other day?……..GAWD DAMN…..I’d love to have HIM in Silver in Black. He just a Sophmore though.

• Just Fire Baby

Top 3?

So AP, Arian Foster, than D-Mac?

Ahead of Morris, Ray Rice, etc?

Not buying it.

I would be happy with top 3 in our division, which he hasn’t been 3 of his 5 career years, including this past one.

• J Hill

Dakota,

You would still sign off on trading Palmer to KC, Jags, AZ, or NY for there #1 pick right?

• DennisAllensVisor

I think a few of us pegged Clowney as a Top 3 pick next year, a couple months ago..

• J Hill

Anybody see that RUDE hit Clowney put on Robinson the other day?

——————————————————————————

Everything came together like but cheeks for him on that play.

Curious if he made any other plays? I noticed the defense still gave up a lot of points.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

1- DT/ NT Star Lotulelie
    3- DE/ OLB Brandon Jenkins
    4- ILB Andrew Jackson

I prefer to trade down (if possible)
    1- DT/ NT J Hankins from THE OSU
    2- CB Rhodes or Amerson
    3- DE/ OLB Brandon Jenkins
    4- ILB Andrew Jackson

• Gdog

J Hill Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 8:47 am

Happy New Year Mo’fo’s!!!

You guys better get over Pryor because he will DEFINITELY be the #2 next year and will play. Especially if Norvell comes to town.

I, for one, will just focus on his red zone and 3rd down efficiency since that is when he will be playing.

>>>>>

Why would anyone have a problem with this? What I have a problem with is people saying we should get rid of CP because TP had three TDs on Sunday.

He had one nice drive early, a scattering of good plays from there on out, and showcased a ton of problems that he hasn’t fixed yet. He’s not even close to being a starter yet.

• DennisAllensVisor

Just Fire Baby Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 8:55 am
    Top 3?

So AP, Arian Foster, than D-Mac?

Ahead of Morris, Ray Rice, etc?

Not buying it.

—-

Ray Rice didnt do much this year.. from a Top 3 perspective.

Morris is 1 dimensional.

Foster’s body is breaking down.

DMC was the #1 RB in the NFL for 6 weeks the year before..

Not totally unbelievable that a great OC & OL coach can elevate his play even more..

• Just Win Baby

Either 1) Al Saunders contributed absolutely none of his offensive knowledge to this team in 2012 or B)He was part of the offensive problem. I don’t really understand what his function with this team is, but having him here didn’t seem to make much of a difference.

• theghostronin79

DennisAllensVisor Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 8:56 am

===========

Yeah, I know……. He just continues to impress. He’s a down right monster.

• Dakota

J Hill Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 8:55 am
    Dakota,

++++++++++++++

Yes, and I would also trade Pau for LeBron…..neither offer is coming though.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Can McClain play OLB in 3-4? He can rush the passer.

• J Hill

I think people are saying get rid of Palmer because of his 17 million dollar salary and heartbreaking INTs.

• DennisAllensVisor

Raider O Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 8:59 am
    Can McClain play OLB in 3-4? He can rush the passer.

—-

I think our weakness is more ILB, so i’d stick him in his natural position first..

• Dakota

Forget this Pryor and Palmer splitting time business. When has that ever worked? Maybe a little with Slash?

• J Hill

LeBron?

Heck, I’d settle for Bosh Spice.

But funny how you weren’t next to me on your start Pryor list since we BOTH agree that we would trade Palmer for those #1 picks.

Hmmmmmmm

• DennisAllensVisor

J Hill Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 9:00 am

—-

Yea.

And I want a drug test on anyone who thinks he has high trade value.. Outside of Hue jackson of course.

• Just Win Baby

J Hill Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 8:55 am
    Dakota,

================
    And who plays QB for Oakland in this scenario? Pryor? LMAO. I hear Tebow will be available….

• J Hill

DAMN

Sterling Jr overdosed????

WTF is wrong with these spoiled arsse rich kids?

• r8eray

Just Fire Baby Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 8:50 am

I don’t see Norv signing on with us, unless he doesn’t have any other options.

More than likely, with the state of our franchise,we will be bringing in an OC who has never been an OC before, getting his big chance.

A former QB coach from somewhere else is what I would be looking at.

=======

Don’t know if I wanna see an experiment for another year…I would rather keep Saunders if that’s the case!

Saunders might be old but I’m sure he could out-run and maybe out-lift anyone here on this blog…dude’s got motor!

Dude….just look at him!!

• Whoknows

Speaking of drugs, Clipper’s owner son found dead this morning. OD.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

I prefer to trade down (if possible)
    1- DT/ NT J Hankins from THE OSU

RDE: Resign Bryant/ Bilukidi
    OLB: Burris
    ILB: Andrew Jackson
    ILB: Wheeler
    OLB: B Jenkins

• theghostronin79

Anybody think Shane Skov would be worth a poke? I don’t think he’ll go too terribly high, or somebody like Kiko Alonzo? MLB will need some addressing.

• Just Win Baby

Poor kids sell drugs to rich kids. Rich kids OD.

• DennisAllensVisor

DE-Houston/Kelly/Bilukidi
    NT-
    DE-Bryant/Shaughnessy/Crawford

OLB-Carter
    ILB-McClain
    ILB-Wheeler/Gaither
    OLB-Burris/Burnett

• J Hill

And I want a drug test on anyone who thinks he has high trade value..

—————————————————————-

Do you understand what a WISH list is?

I would have asked for a drug test on anyone who thought we could get a 2nd for Doug Jolley.

I argued with someone late into the night before we traded for Palmer that they were crazy as phucc to think WE would trade our 1st rd pick for Pryor, lol.

Shhhhhh happens

• Scourge

*signs-on*

*signs-out*

• Plunketthead

Colin Cowherd just said “Kobe is a more refined human being then Jordan”
    I was working on the chicken coop and just walked in to warm up so I did not hear the context

• Dakota

Hill Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 9:02 am
    LeBron?

Heck, I’d settle for Bosh Spice.

Hmmmmmmm
    +++++++++++++++++++++

If you trade Palmer, you are going into a full rebuild, so it wouldn’t matter to me if we start Pryor….starting him would guarantee the #1 pick next year and a new HC, so those things are good…..then we could draft a legit QB prospect in 2014.

We should also trade McFadden to a real NFL team if we are trading Palmer.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

DennisAllensVisor Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 9:01 am
    Raider O Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 8:59 am
    Can McClain play OLB in 3-4? He can rush the passer.

—-

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I don’t think he wants to be a Raider especially after being humiliated, and I doubt our GM and HC want him back next year.
    Goodbye McClain.

• SilverNBlackPA

Stevie Brown wins second NFC Defensive Player of the Week award.

Top class move, HueJax/Al

• Scourge

D*mn computer!!! Reload screwed up!

• Scourge

• J Hill

And who plays QB for Oakland in this scenario?

————————————————————————

Have Flynn redo his contract and trade for him to compete with Pryor. Draft a QB in rd 3.

Not SB bound next year ANYWAY.

• DennisAllensVisor

J Hill Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 9:07 am
    And I want a drug test on anyone who thinks he has high trade value..

—————————————————————-

Do you understand what a WISH list is?

Shhhhhh happens

—-

Hue Jackson only happens once in a lifetime.

Palmer wont net anything higher than a 3rd. Ever.

• Raider-in-PA

From PFT: ‘Stevie Brown wins second defensive player of the week award’

The talent evaluations in Oakland have been a downright failure!! Mr. Brown has 8 ints on the season, the entire Raiders D has 11.. WTF??

• Scourge

Gotta get this to 5,000 comments, gents!

Why don’t any women post here?

Gotta run, have a good day, folks

• DennisAllensVisor

Raider O Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 9:08 am
    DennisAllensVisor Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 9:01 am
    Raider O Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 8:59 am
    Can McClain play OLB in 3-4? He can rush the passer.

—-

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Goodbye McClain.

—-

Well I can see him remaining a Raider if the off-season goes well for him..

• Dakota

We had 11 ints this year? seems high lol.

• J Hill

Only chance 55 has of playing with the Raiders next year is to show up at 250lbs by draft day.

LB coach being fired and him not being cut YET leaves a small window for him to return.

• DennisAllensVisor

Raider-in-PA Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 9:10 am
    From PFT: ‘Stevie Brown wins second defensive player of the week award’

—-

Hue Jackson & Matt Giordano happened.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Theghostronin79 Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 9:06 am
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I like Skov and Chase Thomas, maybe in the 3rd, if B Jenkins wasn’t available.
    IMHO B Jenkins in the 3rd or 4th will be the steal of the draft.

• SilverNBlackPA

Who do the semi-pros want as our new OC? I was all for Whisnehunt, but it looks like he’ll land on his feet with a new head coaching gig.

Mohrninweg? Shurmur? Some hotshot QB coach we don’t know about yet?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

J Hill Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 9:11 am

$$$$$$$$$

Very small window.

• DennisAllensVisor

J Hill Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 9:11 am

—-

Agreed.

Gotta see him in a 3-4 before you give up totally.

• Plunketthead

PurpleDrank81 Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 1:25 am
    I believe we should bring in Chris Ault as our OC…. The creator of the Pistol Offense working with some of the young talent we have would be a thing of beauty
    *********************************

Long time Ault fan here, back to when he coached Frank Hawkins to the National rushing title.

• DennisAllensVisor

SilverNBlackPA Says:
    January 2nd, 2013 at 9:12 am

Mohrninweg? Shurmur? Some hotshot QB coach we don’t know about yet?

—-

Turner, Kromer, Mornhinweg, Trestman..