Breaking news: Raiders fire off. coord. Knapp, three other coaches

The Raiders on Monday fired offensive coordinator Greg Knapp in response to a drastic drop in production.
A person familiar with the situation confirmed the news.
The Raiders also fired offensive line coach Frank Pollack, special teams coordinator Steve Hoffman and linebackers coach Johnny Holland, the team announced.
“Decisions like this are very difficult,” Raiders coach Dennis Allen said in a press release. “I have a great deal of respect for all of these men and I appreciate their contributions to the Oakland Raiders this season.”
Allen will speak with the media in the next several minutes. More on that later.
In particular, running back Darren McFadden’s yards per carry dropped from 5.4 in 2011 to 3.3 this season. He averaged 5.2 in 2010, as well.
There was a slight increase in passing yardage this season, with the Raiders jumping from 11th in 2011 under Hue Jackson to eighth this season. The passer rating of the quarterbacks also surged from 79.4 to 82.4.
Beyond that, the Raiders endured noticeable drop-offs in yards per game, points per game, rushing yards per game and rushing touchdowns.
The Raiders dipped from seventh in the league in rushing in 2011 to 28th this season, with a drop of more than 43 yards per game. They also tied for the fewest rushing touchdowns (4) after tying for seventh with 16 in 2011.
Allen hired Knapp and Pollack with the understanding that the Raiders would switch to the zone-blocking scheme favored by Knapp and Pollack.
McFadden and the offensive line struggled in the new scheme, though Allen and Knapp remained steadfast in their support of the change.
Knapp pleaded patience, saying it takes time for the scheme to take hold. McFadden looked nothing like the player that flourished in Jackson’s scheme, and his frustration surfaced toward the end of the season.

Here is a comparison of how the Raiders offense fared in 2011 and 2012:

2011: Tied for seventh with 16

Rushing yards per carry
2012: Tied for 23rd at 3.8
2011: Tied for 7th at 4.5

Steve Corkran

• ravenaider

I have bad news for you.
    DA won’t reply. So please stop asking him questions.
    It’s a blog, for crying out loud.
    Yelling at your screen is not the answer

“““““““““““““““““““““““““““
    He sure won’t reply but ya never know he may read this.And if not so what.I am merely venting.

• http://www.safc.com/the-club/stadium/about-the-stadium-of-light neilb

Thought Philly was Grudens home town.

• http://www.mywifeisadog.com KoolKell

Priesttj12 Says:
    December 31st, 2012 at 2:21 pm

DA threw Knapp under the bus the train the boats the wildlife and everything else. It’s what he does…..period
    =====================
    You hypocrite bich.
    You’ve been whining and whining and whing that DA should fire Knapp. That Reg should fire DA. That Mark should fire Reg.
    So when DA does what he should do, you post that stupid schittt?
    fuk off, you hypocrite lying pos.

• LA to TheBay

841.KoolKell Says:
    December 31st, 2012 at 2:25 pm
    LA to TheBay Says:
    December 31st, 2012 at 2:24 pm

But I get what you mean, Judge.
    =================
    That’s what I like about you.
    You think slowly.
    but sooner or later it comes to you..usually later.

—————-

Just something I forgot to include in the prior post. It happens, Rich.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Pryor cant throw? I must have missed those throws to Streater.. or the ones Reece/ Te dropped.

Good thing nobody judges a qb off of 1 game. Only trolls do. Nothing to be sorry about. U make zero difference in Raider personnel choices. Pryor will be developed. “sorry”

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Priesttj12 Says:
    December 31st, 2012 at 2:21 pm

==============================================

Huh? From the second Knapps name was announced all there was in the Raider Nation was screaming and gnashing of teeth! And Knapp did nothing to change that. So Allen fired him, and now Allen is wrong? You have to check yourself man you are not making sense.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Pryor is the starting QB next year.

He can go 4-12 just as well as Palmer does. (For a lot less money)

• LA to TheBay

Interesting.
    Across the wires it says Pryor is a project. He’s way behind the 8ball, trying to catch up. That MAYBE he just might develop into a backup qb.

Guess with tainted glasses you can pick and choose what you see?

—–

Again, ______, I’m not saying he’s a starter. I’m saying he played well. No agenda. Just what I saw with my own two eyes.

I guess with your tainted glasses, you can pick and choose what you read?

• The_Judge37

850.LA to TheBay Says:
    December 31st, 2012 at 2:28 pm
    Pryor has PLENTY of arm strength. I think his release point is too high, which is why he’s rainbowing it too often. He can zing it.
    ———

Yeah. He looks good when he steps into his throws. But he’s too jittery. Needs to focus on his reads rather than what the Oline is or isn’t doing.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    December 31st, 2012 at 2:29 pm

========================================

Why would they develop him? They saw what he could do. And it wasn’t much. Nothing to develop. Sorry.

• Dakota

I am not hating on Pryor, I have simply never seen him as a competent passing QB. Nothing looked different to me yesterday that would cause me to change my mind. Rainbows. That can work if you are super accurate and have good WRs….see Rivers….but Pryor will never be that accurate of a passer.

I will go out on a limb and say he will never have a 300 yard passing game in the NFL.

If he does have a 300 yard passing game in the next year as a Raider I will eat my hat and kiss his azz and beg for forgiveness.

• LA to TheBay

852.neilb Says:
    December 31st, 2012 at 2:28 pm
    Thought Philly was Grudens home town.

—–

He’s an Ohio guy I thought.

• RaidO

Terrelle Pryor Pre-Draft Workout with Chad Ochocinco and Antonio Brown

Why so much hate on his throwing motion? Don’t even say Tebow. You guys are full crap. TP will be just fine as the Raider starting QB in 2013.

• Al_is_theraiders

neal…on DA

“all these players played great in college and all
    of sudden they cant play for the raiders?”

“are you putting a band aid on a shotgun wound?”

“his staff…dennis allens staff, reggie mckenzies staff and after 1 year youre firing your people you hand picked you brought in…”

Romo
    “who hired these guys…they didnt do a very good job or did they need someone to blame this on?”

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Pryor is the starting QB next year.

He can go 4-12 just as well as Palmer does. Maybe even better.(For a lot less money)

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

I just heard a report.. CHIP KELLY MAY BE HEADED TO PANTHERS if they fire their coach.

Wants to coach CAM NEWTON

• RaidO

Seymour Bush Says:
    December 31st, 2012 at 2:31 pm
    RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    December 31st, 2012 at 2:29 pm

========================================

—————————–

Terrelle Pryor Pre-Draft Workout with Chad Ochocinco and Antonio Brown

• Al_is_theraiders

neal…”i dont think dennis allen is capable of leading these men….”

• LA to TheBay

————

RUE THE DAY LIST

1. Dakota

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

BTW all those Chicago bears fans are about to find out real quick the grass isnt always greener.

Ask Raider fans after Hue Jackson left 10-6 lovie canned? Horrible

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

One thing though. You won’t hear anybody calling Palmer a “check Casher”

• http://www.safc.com/the-club/stadium/about-the-stadium-of-light neilb

Yes,you’re right Ohio.

• The_Judge37

Alright i’m gone! Happy New Year to the Raider Nation. Good luck, be safe, enjoy the good news.

For those who wanted the entire staff gone? Baby Steps

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

————

y wouldnt they. sorry for what? u are a nobody

• Dakota

870.RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    December 31st, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Ask Raider fans after Hue Jackson left 10-6 lovie canned? Horrible

+++++++++++

Bears should have kept Lovie and hired Norv as OC. But 9 years is a long time to be a HC of a team….players might have started to tune him out.

• Plunketthead

Lana kiffin was ranked #1 to begin the season and Georgia Tech just throttled them in the bpottom of the barrel bowl.

I hope Lana is looking for work next week

• Al_is_theraiders

dilfer…” ive talked to 10 defensive top defensive coaches and this pistol offense is impossible to stop…”

romo is in pryors corner

• LA to TheBay

What Pryor showed us is that he is indeed the intriguing project that most thought he was and he’s worth developing. He surprised most people yesterday (around the league, not so much here in the circus) and should be back as a #2 next year and will show up in camp improved.

That’s all.

Next?

Defense anyone?

• http://cheapseateats.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Lester-Hayes.jpg RaiderDogg

Any old schoolers left out there?

• edward teach

871.KoolKell Says:
    December 31st, 2012 at 2:34 pm
    One thing though. You won’t hear anybody calling Palmer a “check Casher”

********************************************************

No kidding. Terelle Pryor thinks the world of him, and gives Palmer a lot of credit for his development as a quarterback.

Not uncommon to have a veteran backup mentor the new kid, but very unusual for that mentor to be the current veteran starter. What Palmer is doing for Pryor is way above the call of duty.

• Plunketthead

Hue toenails Johnson cant lift Luvie Smith’s jock

• Dakota

850.LA to TheBay Says:
    December 31st, 2012 at 2:28 pm
    ++++++++++++

Is Pryor still in the 9th grade? If it ain’t fixed by now, it NEVER WILL BE!

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

So, the Raiders fired his whole coaching staff?

• LA to TheBay

876.Plunketthead Says:
    December 31st, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I hope Lana is looking for work next week

—-

USC AD already said he’ll be back. Yikes.

I’ll sure take Lanes WR recruits though.

• http://www.RAIDERS.com Back-n-Black

RaidO Says:
    December 31st, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Back-N-Black Says:
    December 31st, 2012 at 2:15 pm
    The Chicago Tribune reports Jon Gruden is now “leaning hard” toward staying at ESPN, and “turning down coaching feelers.”
    Consider it the latest episode of As the Gruden Turns. Gruden is subject to more rumors and innuendo than Lindsay Lohan, but has never truly come close to leaving ESPN since he was hired in 2009. This could just be a leverage ploy, but if Gruden has turned down coaching overtures three years running, what’s a fourth? At this point, we wouldn’t consider him likely to abandon Mike Tirico.
    ……..
    Guess when he found out Allen was keeping his job he decided to wait… (????)

Maybe he really wanted the Oakland job after all.
    ———————

LOL, CBS Sports says:

Ex-Raiders, Bucs coach Gruden to interview for open NFL jobs

Despite public protestations he’s happy in his current position as a television analyst, Jon Gruden will interview with NFL teams for their head coaching position, according to people with knowledge of the situation.
    Over the past few weeks, teams have quietly contacted Gruden and/or his representatives to gauge Gruden’s interest. In response, Gruden and/or his representatives informed teams Gruden would speak to them once the regular season ended.

Well, the regular season has ended, and Gruden will begin talking to those teams maybe as early as Monday. Gruden is currently an analyst for ESPN and has said publicly he will stay at the network.

However, privately, the Gruden camp has acted differently, and let it be known the former coach is interested in returning to the NFL. This doesn’t mean he will return. This means he’s interested in doing so if the right job opens up.

Two teams to pay close attention to regarding Gruden are Philadelphia and San Diego (although the Chargers might focus on a younger coach).
    ………..

The Chicago Tribune report was HOURS after the CBS report from this morning.

Both updates were on Rotoworld. The Tribune report was from this afternoon.

• Dakota

876.Plunketthead Says:
    December 31st, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I hope Lana is looking for work next week

__________

Careful what you wish for…..the Raiders are looking for an OC.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

Dakota Says:
    December 31st, 2012 at 2:32 pm

==========================================

My feelings exactly. Not hating, I wanted him to be Donovan Mcnabb out there. But the NFL quality talent just is not there. His balls might have worked in college but not at this level. And now that defenses know that he throws high arching balloons, DC’s will sit in zones, break on that balloon and pick it almost every time.

• LA to TheBay

882.Dakota Says:
    December 31st, 2012 at 2:39 pm
    850.LA to TheBay Says:
    December 31st, 2012 at 2:28 pm
    ++++++++++++

Is Pryor still in the 9th grade? If it ain’t fixed by now, it NEVER WILL BE!
    ———

Shame it was week 17. Nothing to discuss on that front until camp next year I suppose.

• RaidO

Dakota Says:
    December 31st, 2012 at 2:39 pm
    850.LA to TheBay Says:
    December 31st, 2012 at 2:28 pm
    ++++++++++++

Is Pryor still in the 9th grade? If it ain’t fixed by now, it NEVER WILL BE!
    ____________________

Stop the hate

Terrelle Pryor Pre-Draft Workout with Chad Ochocinco and Antonio Brown

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

So, the Raiders fired Denise’s whole coaching staff?

• theghostronin79

Dakota Says:
    December 31st, 2012 at 2:32 pm

================

I’m not saying he WILL, or he WON’T…..I’ve been made to look stupid on a yearly basis with college and NFL combined. I’m right ALOT….I’m also Wrong ALOT… So what? I don’t think Pryor is as bad as people are making him out to be. He’s also not as good as some claim he is. I’ve probably seen more of Pryor’s college ball than most Raider fans cause Buckeye’s are my 2nd team. He was their Rock, and ran that offense; Always seemed to find a way, and I’ve seen him throw Darts, and pinpoint 50 yard passes. He CAN do it…. He just didn’t display his best in the 60 min that we saw.

• http://www.safc.com/the-club/stadium/about-the-stadium-of-light neilb

I’m out.

A very happy New Year to you all and all the best from this side of the pond.

• Raidergar81

I remember all of the knee jerkers last year saying how Mark Jackson should be fired and how incompetent he was. Stability will never come with a coaching carousel. Never.

• Just Win Baby

RaiderDogg Says:
    December 31st, 2012 at 2:39 pm
    Any old schoolers left out there?

===============

Can’t deal with the current level of football iq in the blog? It is pretty weak.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

351.Thec Says:
    December 31st, 2012 at 12:30 pm
    Quote from Bill Williamson;

Pryor prove himself? I really liked what I saw from Terrelle Pryor on Sunday. He showed leadership, poise and heart.

He is not a finished product, but I think there is something Oakland can work with. There are a lot of young, dynamic quarterbacks in this league. I think Oakland had to make developing Pryor quickly a priority. Carson Palmer is 33, expensive, and not improving.

If Pryor makes big strides in the offseason, I don’t think it would be a terrible idea for Oakland to consider handing him the starting job. This team will be still rebuilding for the next couple of years. Might as well give the kid a chance.

————————-

Bill williamson was number 1 guy against Pryor being anything.. His stance today. Still hope for u Pryor naysayers

• Dakota

new post

• DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL

POST-865,SO 4-12 IS OK AS LONG AS ITS CHEAP ?

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

———————————

I agree. I watched all of his college games and the Rose bowl where he was MVP.

He can make throws like the one he did for 38 yards to streater just dropped a dime.. also does floaters. The key for him will be conistency. Make no mistake though. He can compete at this level. The chargers had 11 sacks against Greg McEleroy the previous week. They hardly touched Pryor .. they came close tho.. Pryor was elusive

• jesusraiderjim

I do not know why but that was the first press conference that I did not want to slap DA’s face off. Must have something to do with Knapp being fired.

I think DA has a ton of work to do on player relations and attitude but WTF do I know. He could still be fired.

Just wait and see I guess.

• Raider Riff

Realtruraider Says:
    December 31st, 2012 at 1:31 pm
    Yep Knapp had a few posters swingin from his sack this season, JFB and Raider Riff to name a couple, they cannot be happy with this news lol

———

I could care less. I was never a Knapp fan. I was just honest about him not being the issue. The problem was with execution or lackthereof by our O-Line and WRs.

Our O-Line was getting beat physically. Our WRs dropped way too many balls. That changes the complextion of a game beyond what a OC can fix with just tricky play calling.

Is Knapp the greatest play caller ever? No. He’s average. Hue and Norv are the two best. But we didnt need Knapp to be brilliant, we just needed our WRs to do their damn jobs.

I also defended Knapp because the people criticising him are a bunch of no-nothings that couldnt break down scotch tape let alone NFL game tape. You guys have no business questioning scheme or strategy because as far as youre concerned, its a foreign language.

Firing Knapp only bothers me for one reason and that is because it looks like our young WR core and O-Line will be learning yet another offensive system. That will be 5 different systems in 5 years for guys like DHB. That sucks.

If the WR group continues to drop passes at the rate they do, and DMC continues to miss large portions of the season when we need him most, and we go another season without a playmaking DE on defense…. then it wont matter who our new OC is unfortunately.