QB Pryor talks about season, moving forward

By Steve Corkran
Monday, January 7th, 2013 at 11:27 am in Oakland Raiders.

Second-year quarterback Terrelle Pryor finally got an opportunity to play in a regular-season game this year. He also received his first start, in the regular-season finale against the San Diego Chargers.
A day after the game, Pryor paused to reflect upon his performance in that game, his two years with the Raiders and how he intends to work on improving during the offseason.
Here’s the transcript from the 13-minute interview in the locker room before Pryor departed Alameda for the final time in 2012:

Q: Thoughts after watching tape from Sunday’s game?
Pryor: “Actually, just when I met with, I went into coach Flip’s office, he pointed out a couple of things that I did. The flag we got, I threw a bomb to DHB, he just mentioned that if I would have faked it and stayed back on it, I would have had better vision. Instead of a penalty, we would have completed it. I agreed with him on that. Also, there’s a couple of plays I missed, whether it was miscommunication with me and the receivers. It’s just, I haven’t had a lot of reps with the guys, so it’s tough to be on (the same) page. But, just for going out and having fun and trying to get some plays, draw ‘em up and make them work, I thought we did a decent job. My biggest thing is, before I went to bed I was very mad at myself that I didn’t get out of bounds because we could have had a field goal. D.A. preaches that all the time. All I was trying to do was make him miss. I knew because when I was running, I was looking at the clock. I knew I had to get out but I ended up slipping. I didn’t get out. I was very mad about that because that’s my time where I’m a leader. That’s an example that he can show. ‘T.P. got out of bounds on this play and this is the type of stuff we need.’ I didn’t do it, so.”

Q: You got out of the huddle on time, no penalties, no sacks, plenty to build on?
Pryor: “Oh, yeah, like I said, them guys had 11 sacks, I was telling you guys on Wednesday about the Jets and stuff like that. I got rid of the ball well. There’s a couple of accuracy things that I need to fix. I was telling you yesterday, when guys are in my lap, with the flick wrist, I need to work on that a little bit. I need to make sure I complete that. That pick I threw, that’s what happened. Them guys were in my lap, but in the NFL you got to make those throws and I experienced that firsthand yesterday. So, I appreciate it more. Definitely it’s something to build off of. I wish we could have won, obviously, but it’s something to build off of. I’m very excited that I started. I can go home and can feel like somehow hold my head up high that I accomplished one of my goals of starting at least one game and lead the guys like I know how to do.”

Q: Any part of you that feels as if you should be considered for the starting job?
Pryor: “I don’t want to get into thoughts of that because I respect Carson as a human being, as a guy that, when everybody counted me out as a quarterback, said I couldn’t do this or that, he’s the one that said, ‘I believe in you.’ He’s told me so many times that he believes in me. No disrespect to you guys, I just don’t want to get into comments about that because I love the guy as a human being, I love him for the father he is to his kids, the husband he is to his wife, and I love him as a teammate. I love the guy and I really don’t want to discuss that.”

Q: Thoughts on learning a new offense now that Greg Knapp is gone?
Pryor: “Like coach Flip said, ‘You grinded hard learning Greg’s offense. You know that offense. Last year you were kind of getting kind of involved with Hue, so there’s not many other different ways you can learn an offense.’ So, when the OC gets in here, I’m going to be in here and I want to know exactly, I want the playbook, I want to start getting on it. I’m sad that Greg left. Really loved the guy as a coach. He’s a great coach. That’s the business. Coach Allen, like he said at the team meeting, he made the best decision. Whether we agree with it or not, it doesn’t matter. We have a great leader in D.A. I believe in him. Everybody in the locker room believes in him. He’s our leader. Now we leaders that are going to step up and say, ‘Alright, you guys get on our back, and I’m going to lead.’ That’s what we need from guys. We’re going to have that starting in February. I hope guys are accountable, we can hold guys accountable to be here and get some good work in here in February, when they open the doors.”

Q: Do you think you could have helped a little more if they’d used you in red zone earlier this season than they did?
Pryor: “I believe in my abilities 100 percent. Whether I am or not, I think I’m the best athlete on the field. I’m not saying that in a cocky way at all. That’s just the person that I am. I believe I can make plays. I believe I have energy to get guys going. That’s just who I am. I think so. But like I said, we had a good OC. It’s hard putting in a first-year offense and trying to get a hold of it. I know a lot of guys didn’t have a hold of it great. So it’s tough. But yeah, I believe I could have helped.”

Q: Is it odd in a way that you did get your opportunity because Carson was hurt?
Pryor: “I think that’s God’s way of saying me and Carson and Matt were here, and it time for me to show that I can contribute in some way. I’m a big believer and follower of the Lord, so whatever happened is why it happened. That’s where my belief is.”

Q: Was it almost like riding a bike Sunday? The last time you started a game was the Sugar Bowl.
A: “Definitely. I was down yesterday, but what made me feel good was when Khalif Barnes came up to me after the game on the plane and was like, ‘You did a great job. Got us in and out of the huddle. Sometimes you mumbled out the plays and you weren’t sure, but you jumped right back on it and were like, OK, this is the play. You had us upbeat. You were moving us, had us excited, had some energy. ‘ He said, ‘I love that.’ And he said, ‘The thing I loved the most about you,’ and I didn’t really understand it until he explained it a little more, he said, ‘When you threw that pick, you came back in the huddle and you (were like) nothing happened. OK, let’s go.’ I was amazed. It’s funny how guys look at everything about you. Everything. I remember the coach this morning, he was saying, ‘You were talking to defensive guys when they were about to go on the field, and their eyes snapped and they all paid attention to you. They were all alert when you were talking. As soon as you started talking, they were looking right at you. They didn’t even listen to the coaches, giving them details on the next series.’ That’s footsteps, and that’s a blessing that guys look up to me and have energy from me.”

Q: How important is that? I look at what you did when Mike (Goodson) was in the fight and you were barking at him. How important is that for you to have that respect?
Pryor: “I think that’s huge. I think this team needs leadership, whether it’s multiple guys leading or two or three guys. We need it. You look at all the top teams right now going to the playoffs. They have leaders, great leaders on offense and defense, maybe multiples. I think leadership is key because the guys are going to follow and get energy from a certain guy. You have to be able to lead and they have to believe that you’re always in the game.”

Q: As a guy who hadn’t played, was there ever any question in your mind whether they would have your back so quickly? Or was it something you thought would take awhile?
Pryor: “This week at practice was amazing. Like the strength coach here was saying, just your voice fluctuation, just the way you carried yourself, you were different. You were a different person.”

Q: Did you feel different?
Pryor: “A lot different. I felt in full command. I was excited. I had so much energy. I love that.”

Q: How tough is that when you have that much energy and now you have to shut it down?
Pryor: “During the game Knapp was like, ‘Calm down,’ because I was so excited. I was upbeat. I was like, ‘Come on guys, let’s go.’ Maybe too much, but that’s just who I am. I’m a very fiery guy. I love to go out and compete. I’m so proud of the guys that we came back. We were playing bad at first. I’m excited.”

Q: What do you pinpoint to work on this offseason?
Pryor: “What I’m going to do is, what I really want to do is get the film cut up from this past game and see what I could have did better, make some workouts, some drills from that. ‘Cause the movements that I made yesterday, it’s only going to get better in the pocket. But when I’m out scrambling, I just want to see how, just keep performing it so it’s even more second nature. It’s already second nature but just make it more.”

Q: What was going through your head when you were throwing the ball, putting touch on it?
Pryor: “What I learned, and even Carson was telling me that, throughout his years, you’re going to make different throws. Some of them got to have touch, some of them got to be zipped, some of them got to be thrown sidearm, some fo them got to be thrown without a wrist or follow-through. The one without the follow-throughs really messed me up yesterday. Because I never experienced guys in my lap. In practice, you’re not allowed to come nowhere near me. It was just different. But now that I know, I’m going to have my big brother — he’s 6-5, about 350 — and I’m going to have him stand right in front of me and I’m just going to throw. Throw seam balls, 30 yards, so I can’t miss it.

Q: You and Norv Turner?
Pryor: “I swear that he was messing with me a little bit during the game. Even before the game he was like, he gave me some praise and also said, Go out and have some fun. Cut it loose. It was weird. It was a weird connection me and him had. I don’t know.”

Q: Ever met him before?
Pryor: “No, never.”

Q: Might be your coordinator coming up?
Pryor: “That’s maybe what he was hinting at. I don’t know.”

Q: The Norv and Terrelle Show?
Pryor: “I don’t know, but I’m sure DA and Mr. McKenzie will definitely find the guy that’s going to fit and is going to lead us to next year.”

Q: How fine a line between frustration and challenging to have to learn a third NFL offense in three years next year?
Pryor: “Hey, I look at it as exciting and something to look forward to. A lot of people say that you have to be in the same offense. Yeah, it would help. It definitely would because everything would become second nature. But there’s only so many flat, curl-flat reads or there’s only so many reads. You’ve just got to get the concept, the language and I believe, I look at myself a a smart guy and a lot of people view me as that, too. And I don’t think I’ll have a problem with that. It’s going to have to be more urgent now. If I want to have a chance to be able to lead this team one day, I need to be urgent, learn stuff fast and have the footwork intact, fast. And that’s what I’m going to be very focused on.”

Q: Having waited so long for opportunity, was it everything you hoped for?
Pryor: “Yeah, I wanted to lead this team, any way I could. Whether it was a couple of plays or whatever. I just wanted to get on the field and try to earn respect of my teammates. That’s all I could ask for. I had the opportunity to do that yesterday.”

• theghostronin79

KoolKell Says:
    January 8th, 2013 at 1:45 pm
    Rolondo McClain & Jamarcuss Russell were both obvious picks. The Raiders weren’t able to develop them.

===========

That’s the main thing I worry about with ANY premium picks we have. How much of “Their” failures were character flaws, and how much was it the failed leadership they received? Could be a combo of both, but who says we don’t take the “Obvious” pick this year and have him flame out? Just never freakin know….

• Just Fire Baby

Lmao…2nd round pick on a drug addict midget punt returner?

Come on Vegas, you are killing me!

****************************

Seriously, after so many draft flops over the years, if you can tell me we are getting a top flight kick returner, a 2nd round pick would be a steal for us.

As far as the “midget” thing, you want kick returners to be short and compact, that’s what works best.

• RaiderRetribution

Adrian Peterson was my first choice, Megatron my second; did not want Jamarcus, never did.

He was a gamble, especially with the weak coaching staffs Al always hired.

• mcfadden20.

ROlando McClain should have never been forced to play in 4-3 from the start, J RuSSell was just in there for the money, most qb’s when they get drafted usually want to get into training camp and get to work with the team, this guy held out until 3 or 4th week of regular season for couple of mils

• boss01

1548.DT42 Says:
    January 8th, 2013 at 2:00 pm
    Oakland Raiders Given Permission To Interview Pete Carmichael

———–

But what kind of offense will Carmichael be allowed to run if he is hired? DA wanted Mike Sherman but settled for Knapp. He prefers a Houston style offense. Will Reggie force a change?

======
    He was given permission to interview for the HC job last year. Teams can’t interview other team’s OC’s for anything other than the HC position while still under contract.

• RaiderRetribution

pass resh speacialist, pass rush specialist; we must put pressure on Manning and Rivers; take advantage of their weak OLs;

sign Denver’s Clady on the FA market

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

The_Judge37 Says:
    January 8th, 2013 at 1:52 pm

1537.KoolKell Says:
    January 8th, 2013 at 1:45 pm

———

I don’t believe that, but if that’s the case then Al was Right to fire all of their coaches.
    —————————–
    Well, considering their pedigree coming out of college, and they were both need positions. I was good with both choices.

But how many good players come from the state of Alabama besides Joe Namath? ;-)

• theghostronin79

============

Ford / Sproles……POW

• RaiderRetribution

draft Moore, Werner, Jones

pass rush pass rush pass rush

• Just Fire Baby

**************************

I think Al realized he blew it, and was trying to get as much protective language in there as possible.

And then slapped a lawsuit on him on the way out the door!!!!

Long-live Al

• boss01

Not sure when Carmichael’s contract expires though.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

NFL Players Born in the State of Alabama:
    (not very impressive imo)

• Just Fire Baby

D-Moore gets credit for being only 21 and playing well, so does Jarvis Jones get deducted for being 23 years old?

Dude is the oldest guy on the field probably every game.

• The_Judge37

1562.KoolKell Says:
    January 8th, 2013 at 2:09 pm
    NFL Players Born in the State of Alabama:
    (not very impressive imo)

——–

And Jamarcus and Rolando were positions where they have to make reads. Can’t ask anyone from Alabama to read.

• RaiderSam

Boss01 Says:
    January 8th, 2013 at 2:06 pm
    1548.DT42 Says:
    January 8th, 2013 at 2:00 pm
    Oakland Raiders Given Permission To Interview Pete Carmichael

———–

======

————–

His contract has expired.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

———————–
    Lol. I’ll pass.

• RaiderSam

Just Fire Baby Says:
    January 8th, 2013 at 2:01 pm
    I wouldn’t be at all suprised if Matthieu ends up like Hester, and after a year or two moves to the offensive side of the ball part time.

He was not a good cover corner, and no defense in the NFL is going to let him play “rover”.

=============================

“Mathieu compiled 57 tackles with 8.5 tackles for a loss, 4.5 sacks, five forced fumbles, two interceptions, seven passes broken up and two interceptions as a freshman in 2010.”

i dont know, seems like he had pretty good coverage….its not like LSU db’s are garbage, either…a few are in the NFL

• RaiderSam

Just Fire Baby Says:
    January 8th, 2013 at 1:40 pm
    Why RGIII will not be long in the league.

3rd and long conversion %, he was dead last in the NFL. Heck he was 20th in the NFC, worse than all 3 of the hacks from AZ.

===========
    A qb to actually lead the Redskins to the playoffs in years and probably a victory if he wasnt hurt.

Can we proclaim this “reality” when he’s actually out of the league?

lmao! This coming from a team fan base who hasnt tasted playoffs in a decade.

• boss01

RaiderSam Says:
    January 8th, 2013 at 2:17 pm
    Boss01 Says:
    January 8th, 2013 at 2:06 pm
    1548.DT42 Says:
    January 8th, 2013 at 2:00 pm
    Oakland Raiders Given Permission To Interview Pete Carmichael

———–

======

————–

His contract has expired.

=====

Did’nt know that, yeah he should be the man for the job no doubt. And if DA stinks it up again, he will be next in line to be HC, ala Hue.

• eastoaklandraider

This is your brain

298.eastoaklandraider Says:
    January 7th, 2013 at 3:41 pm
    For all you Manti Te’o lovers the time has finally come for ya boy to be exposed, I ve said for weeks months that he was a fraud, now its put up or shut up time vs an opponent who will not let up this game is a true legacy game for Manti. This game will surely take Manti’s name out of the ring of our draft plans, if im wrong I will eat crow tomorrow but I doubt it.
    —————

This is your brain on drugs

368.DKnight007 Says:
    January 7th, 2013 at 4:50 pm
    ND-17
    Bama-13

Te’o solidifies his status tonight.

—————–

Any questions?

• RaiderSam

Just Fire Baby Says:
    January 8th, 2013 at 2:07 pm

**************************

And then slapped a lawsuit on him on the way out the door!!!!

Long-live Al

———

worst draft pick in history – and here are the other misses

Aaron Rodgers
    Calvin Johnson
    Adrian Peterson
    Larry Fitzgerald
    Ben Rothelisberger
    Jay Cutler (arguably)

• Al_is_theraiders

geno smith said thanks DA but no thanks i dont want to be coached by you….

• Dakota

Vegas, I am paraphrasing but is this really your stance?

You want to cut or trade Palmer, but not start Pryor, and trade McFadden for a low draft pick, and use late round picks on the o-line because the o-line doesnt matter and keep McClain because he was injured and it’s not his fault, and re- hire Greg knapp because it is everyone else’s fault the offense sucks, and then draft a midget cb who is a drug addict by trading up to get him in the second round?

At least you knew Lexi was hot!

• RaiderSam

Al_is_theraiders Says:
    January 8th, 2013 at 2:26 pm
    geno smith said thanks DA but no thanks i dont want to be coached by you….

==========

To which DA said

What happened v. Kansas St. and Syracuse?

• DutchRaider77

1558.theghostronin79 Says:
    January 8th, 2013 at 2:07 pm

============

Ford / Sproles……POW

______________________

Never understood why JLH was not returning kickoffs, JMAC said he was too small, yet he is bigger than Ford?

• theghostronin79

RaiderSam Says:
    January 8th, 2013 at 2:28 pm
    Al_is_theraiders Says:
    January 8th, 2013 at 2:26 pm
    geno smith said thanks DA but no thanks i dont want to be coached by you….

==========

To which DA said

What happened v. Kansas St. and Syracuse?

===============

Maaayne……FU*K YO’ MAMMA (National Lampoon Vacation)

• theghostronin79

=========

Taller maybe but, Ford is a little “Tree Trunk”….Solid, Strong, Explosive

Higgings was “Wirery” (Replacements)…. Had good acceleration and glided in the open field, but not built for punishing collisions (Weddle)

• Al_is_theraiders

speed man cmon thats why….

• Al_is_theraiders

man if cards need a retool then why the fvck is Reggie selling a rebuild?

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Al_is_theraiders Says:
    January 8th, 2013 at 2:42 pm

man if cards need a retool then why the fvck is Reggie selling a rebuild?
    —————————–
    I don’t know if Reggie is selling a rebuild, or is it DA and his sycophants?

• beach

1570. EastOakland, you are the man!

• eastoaklandraider

I believe Joeckel will go #1 to chiefs and Andy Reid will find a way to bring Mike Vick to KC and imo if Vick goes there and can stay reasonably healthy KC will have a pretty good team barring they hold on to Bowe. So with Joeckel off the board what player will teams want to trade up for?

• Just Fire Baby

***********************************

You were right on par except Rolando and Knapp.

They are both dead to me now. Just waiting for the official removing of Slo-Mania from the roster to mail my #55 to 504 Raider to pair with my old #2 I sent him.

And I think Kepner is passing Lexi on the mousey-super hot scale!!!

• eastoaklandraider

1581.beach Says:
    January 8th, 2013 at 2:49 pm
    1570. EastOakland, you are the man!

———

Thank you for the kind words sir.

• Just Fire Baby

Reid will probably take Joeckel, he is an offensive guy and Joeckel is the highest rated offensive player.

But Vick??? LMAO…that dude just got him fired, he would rather go get Kevin Kolb.

• eastoaklandraider

JFB dont need to trade up to draft the “Midget” he should be available in rounds 3 or 4.

• eastoaklandraider

Vick and Reid are quite close, Kolb? LMAO in the words of TK I think that boy scared.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

eastoaklandraider Says:
    January 8th, 2013 at 2:24 pm

This is your brain

298.eastoaklandraider Says:
    January 7th, 2013 at 3:41 pm
    —————

This is your brain on drugs

368.DKnight007 Says:
    January 7th, 2013 at 4:50 pm
    ND-17
    Bama-13

Te’o solidifies his status tonight.

—————–

Any questions?
    =========================================

Speaking of dudes flaming out completely on their beliefs, has anyone seen Mistic?

• eastoaklandraider

Raiders need to either draft Moore with Joeckel off the board or trade down and draft Womack.

• eastoaklandraider

With the 2nd rd pick we get from the trade down draft Barret Jones

LT-Veldeer,LG-Wiz,C-Jones,RG-Womack-RT-Bergs

I like it except for Bergs hasnt had a lot of time on the field so dont really know what to make of him, but if he couldnt beat out WSmith I dont know doesnt sound good.

• John David Booty

Just Fire Baby Says:
    January 8th, 2013 at 2:55 pm

——————————————
    I agree. I think Joeckel became the #1 pick as soon as Reid signed. Theres no clear cut #1 QB, so Reid will want a franchise LT for the next 10 years. And since hes just officially declared, I think Joeckel starts popping up as the consensus #1 in mock drafts any second now.

• inonewordraider

werner- can start today, 4-3 base end that will stop the run and get 6-8 sacks a year

moore-relentless pass rusher with limitless sack # ceiling that for now is a passing down specialist in the 4-3 has the frame to add even more bulk (converted lb)and possibly be an everydown DE

Star-NT that can start now used to getting doubled, will overpower every one on one block relentless with mean streak

te’o-instant starter, passionate, solid but not spectacular in all aspects

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

eastoaklandraider Says:
    January 8th, 2013 at 3:05 pm

===========================================

Trading down and taking Barrett Jones would probably be a solid idea. Jones is almost the same size as Warmack and has played tackle, guard and this year center winning a National Championship at each position. Not only is he just as big as Warmack, he is much more athletic which is requisite to play at this level.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

Dakota Says:
    January 8th, 2013 at 2:26 pm
    Vegas, I am paraphrasing but is this really your stance?

At least you knew Lexi was hot!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

LMFAO!

Maybe Vegas should go back and live in Vegas until his head clears.

• John David Booty

Inonewordraider Says:
    January 8th, 2013 at 3:14 pm

te’o-instant starter, passionate, solid but not spectacular in all aspects
    ——————————————
    Thats why Im for drafting Star. Of all 4 of these guys, I think Star has the most potential to make everyone else on the D better. Werner or Moore would BOTH still be nice picks, but I actually like Barkevious Mingo from LSU as DE/OLB a little more than those guys. I think his versatility to play standing up or on the line is unmatched in this draft, but thats just my opinion.

Werner or Moore are gonna be able to get pressure just fine. But you draft Star, then the whole line is going to be better at applying pressure. Cause hes getting doubled every game. That leaves Des Bryant, Houston, Shaugnessy, and any other D-linemen that we rotate 1-on-1.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

I’m no draft guru, but Barret Jones could be useful, as he’s good at all the oline positions.

And, that big Star feller could be the piece for the 3-4, if that’s what they want to do.

• Dakota

Kepner is smokin!

• Dakota

ENGLANDRAIDER Says:
    January 8th, 2013 at 3:21 pm
    Dakota Says:
    January 8th, 2013 at 2:26 pm
    Vegas, I am paraphrasing but is this really your stance?

At least you knew Lexi was hot!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

LMFAO!

Maybe Vegas should go back and live in Vegas until his head clears.
    ———-

Is he hitting that special Walter white product in new Mexico?

• eastoaklandraider

On O, if we stick with ZBS Dmac should be traded.

On D, if we stick to 4-3 RO and Seymore must go but if we move to the 3-4 imo they both should be retained and then we draft Moore to be our pass rushing olb, and Burris can do the same from the other side. That leaves Wheeler as the odd man out.

• http://raiders.com Seymour Bush

McFadden should probably be traded regardless. He just has not performed that well here.