Woodson grew up after he left the Raiders

Green Bay Packers defensive back Charles Woodson attained a level of production and respect he never had in Oakland.

The fact is, when Woodson left in free agency, his career was on the rocks. Even Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden, who loved Woodson’s talent, did not authorize a big contract during free agency for the 2006 season.

Instead, Woodson signed with the only team that offered serious money _ the Green Bay Packers. And after relocating to the central United States with a team that would seem to have little to offer a player notorious for enjoying himself, Woodson instead thrived.

I remember writing a column before Woodson’s departure lamenting how a Hall of Fame talent would never reach the Hall of Fame. It’s not lot like I’ve never been wrong before, but it turns out I was way off base.

A link to Saturday’s story on Woodson after talking with Tim Brown and Rich Gannon . . .

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• guest123

I think this weekend’s game will be non-competitive snores. Both the Niners and Pats will win big.

SuperBowl will be a very good contest though.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Te’o is another media hyped player. All the things being said about him were said about McClain. Smart, leader, etc….
    Pass on McClain 2.0

• guest123

Say we go after D-line in FA and its solid! Do we go after Te’o then?

*******

With what money? We are over the cap now, need to somehow resign Wheeler, Shane. Reggies got rabbit ear front pockets.

• Just Fire Baby

Last time anyone asked Jay Cutler about Martz, he told them to tell Martz to F himself

***************************

Hey, I am sure Gannon and Gruden said the same things to each other.

Martz has some warts for sure, but we aren’t getting a wartless guy here.

He has multiple 30+ points ostseason games under his belt, close to a half dozen.

That is worth SOMETHING, IMO.

Hwnrdr Says:
    January 15th, 2013 at 7:14 am
    Say we go after D-line in FA and its solid! Do we go after Te’o then?
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

No way should we draft another big & slow MLB in the 1st who has issues with shedding blocks and tackling.

• Just Fire Baby

Say what you want about Te’O, but he had what 8 INT’s??

When’s the last collegiate LB to have that many picks?

Dude makes plays!!! If he is anything close to Kuechly, you got to take that.

We need leaders, and a defined leader on D, and he Te’O brings that to the table.

5 INTs!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Btw, Te’o struggled in coverage before his SR year. Look at their competition and wins. The entire team was overrated.

• Just Fire Baby

In the past 15 years, there have been only 2 other defensive players in the Heisman Watch.

Suh and C-Wood.

Not bad company to keep.

Not sure if I would take him at 3, but I would consider it, but if we trade down he HAS TO be at the top of our board then.

• guest123

Dude makes plays!!! If he is anything close to Kuechly, you got to take that.

*******

I agree. That last BCS Championship Game hurt his draft stock. But look at his body of work and he’s a playmaker. Throw out the combine and physical stats. What I care more about is do they have a knack to be in the right area to make a play?.. and do they make the play? The rest is overrated.

Just Fire Baby Says:
    January 15th, 2013 at 7:18 am
    Say what you want about Te’O, but he had what 8 INT’s??

When’s the last collegiate LB to have that many picks?

Dude makes plays!!! If he is anything close to Kuechly, you got to take that.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Close to Kuechly? Are you serious?
    Dude is closer to McClain than Kuechly.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Media hyped player. Who was talking about Te’o before this season?

• guest123

********

Remember somebody mentioned a trade down scenario where we are trade partners with MIA at 13. I could see us taking Te’O at that point provided we picked up Miami’s 2 second rounders. Not a bad haul there.

• R8ER MIKE

Mr V.P. !!
    O !!how the he11 are you doing on this rainy morning ???

• guest123

Björn Werner, the germinator = Jared Allen 2.0

• Just Fire Baby

Dude Te’O was freshman All-America, and his sophmore and junior years he was a Butkus finalit.

2nd team All-American as a junior.

He wasn’t some flash in the pan here, he had one of the best collegiate careers of any LB in the history of the world.

R8ER MIKE Says:
    January 15th, 2013 at 7:25 am
    Mr V.P. !!
    O !!how the he11 are you doing on this rainy morning ???
    $$$$$$$$$$$

Mr. ODB,

How are you sir? I was doing great before I read this BS about drafting McClain 2.0. lol
    Long Live The ODB and toothless women.

• guest123

*********

History of the WORLD…WORLD…WORLD…

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Playing against Navy, BYU, Stanford, Mich, etc….
    What happened when they played a good team with NFL talent? He struggled!

LOL Guest.

• R8ER MIKE

Raider O Says:
    January 15th, 2013 at 7:30 am
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Playing against Navy, BYU, Stanford, Mich, etc….
    What happened when they played a good team with NFL talent? He struggled!

*****************
    lol.. damn you Michigan !!

********

=============

That sure would be, considering we have none in the 2nd. I always feel that need to GRAB somebody with that high pick but, nabbing two 2nd rounders would be pretty sick.

LMAO ODB.

Go Turtles!!!
    Go Buckeyes!!
    Go Aztecs!!

Damn you Mich!!

• Just Fire Baby

Stanford has plenty of talent don’t they?

They play the same crappy teams that Terrell Pryor built a collegiate career on.

Purdue, Indiana, Northwestern, Michigan, Michigan State……

• Just Fire Baby

I don’t see Miami giving up two 2nd rounders, to move up 10 spots.

WTF kind of sense would that make for them?

I more see us moving back 2-3 spots, and getting ONE 3rd rounder.

Then I can see us packaging maybe TK and our 6th to move into the 3rd.

Look for us to have multiple 3rd round picks.

Honeybadger!!!!!!

• R8ER MIKE

lol damn right O .
    FEAR THE TURTLE !!!

• hwnrdr

Raider O Says:
    January 15th, 2013 at 7:19 am
    5 INTs!

Raider O Says:
    January 15th, 2013 at 7:20 am

Yes, that his weakness coming in Senior year and he worked his tail off to get that part better. Maybe not at #3 but you gotta say he works hard to improve. And it was 8 INTS

• R8ER MIKE

i can see that scenario working JFB.. but damn a
    second rounder would be nice.

• Just Fire Baby

Torrey Smith represented the turtles real well this past weekend.

Figures, we take the wrong WR from the University of Maryland.

Maybe we should stick to taken RT’s from Maryland Eastern Shores

• guest123

Torrey Smith represented the turtles real well this past weekend.

*********

He was a second rounder too if I recall. Reminds me a little of Anquon Boldin taken in the second round, by Arizona after taking a WR in the first round who was a complete washout. Not too dissimilar to DHB and Torrey when you think about it.

• Just Fire Baby

Who was the AZ wash-out?

• Just Fire Baby

So right next to the place I was going today is Alamosa, CO, the coldest place in the whole country today!!!

-36 this morning.

• hwnrdr

YIKES!!!

Just Fire Baby Says:
    January 15th, 2013 at 7:34 am
    Stanford has plenty of talent don’t they?

Purdue, Indiana, Northwestern, Michigan, Michigan State……
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$

How dare you Chico? The OSU program is much better than the overhyped ND program, and don’t you ever forget that.
    Stanford has a talented defense and a good TE.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Good Morning to the Peoples Provisional Army.

• Just Fire Baby

Mike,

Where are you at again in MD?

I was out there last month in St. Mary’s county. Man there was some good seafood joints in Solomon’s Island!!!

Hwnrdr Says:
    January 15th, 2013 at 7:37 am
    Raider O Says:
    January 15th, 2013 at 7:19 am
    5 INTs!

Raider O Says:
    January 15th, 2013 at 7:20 am

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

According to ESPN stats he has 7 unless I forgot how to count.
    7 Ints in his SR year and Zero in the prev 3 years.
    I know why you like him, I understand it, and I give you a pass.

• guest123

Who was the AZ wash-out?

********

made me look it up: Bryant Johnson in the 2003 draft. Carson Palmer went #1 in that draft.

• Marks hair

3105… really? Fuçk guys.. Lazy enough?

• hwnrdr

Man this weather….brrrr….lol. Yeah I know, it could be worse, but hey…its in the mid 60′s in Honolulu :)

• hwnrdr

LOL, O, yeah I’m a little biased…but that is why I wanted to watch that game. Unfortunately, it turned out that ND was way overrated and over matched in that game!

• Just Fire Baby

made me look it up:

*************************

Ha!!

Wasn’t calling your bluff man, couldn’t think of it off the top of my head.

In fact you could have given me 3,000 guesses and I probably wouldn’t have come up with Bryant Johnson.

Penn State guy I believe.

• guest123

The weather here in Florida is a chilly 65 degrees but it will warm up to 82 degrees by this afternoon.

• guest123

Penn State guy I believe.

********

yup,

the Ryan Leaf of WR’s went at #2, Charles Johnson one pick ahead of uber-stud Andre Johnson.

oof Lions!

Imagine Detroit with Mega and AJ on the same team?!?!

Hwnrdr Says:
    January 15th, 2013 at 7:56 am
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I see him and I see another Maualuga and McClain. A big and slow LB who has issues shedding blocks, and probably a 2 down LB in the NFL.

• hwnrdr

guest123 Says:
    January 15th, 2013 at 7:57 am

NICE!

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    January 15th, 2013 at 7:53 am
    Good Morning to the Peoples Provisional Army.
    =====================================================

Well then…
    (in my best DMAC voice)
    F.ck you people

• hwnrdr

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    January 15th, 2013 at 8:08 am
    Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    January 15th, 2013 at 7:53 am
    Good Morning to the Peoples Provisional Army.
    =====================================================