More scuttlebutt on Raiders coaching vacancies

By Steve Corkran
Tuesday, January 15th, 2013 at 11:40 am in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders still haven’t said a word about head coach Dennis Allen and general manager Reggie McKenzie interviewing candidates for their four coaching vacancies — offensive coordinator, offensive line, special teams coordinator and linebackers.
Yet, little by little word is spreading about some candidates that have interviewed or have been contacted as a means of gauging interest.
We reported Saturday that the Raiders interviewed long-time coach/offensive coordinator Mike Martz about replacing the fired Greg Knapp as the Raiders offensive coordinator and that they also spoke with Juan Castillo about his interest in taking over for fired offensive line coach Frank Pollack.
There’s also word from Pete Roussel of coachingsearch.com that the Raiders interviewed Marc Trestman and Greg Olson for the offensive coordinator job.
Trestman, of course, was the Raiders offensive coordinator when they played in the Super Bowl against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the 2002 season. The Raiders entered that game with the league’s top-ranked offense.
Of late, Trestman has been the coach of the Montreal Alouettes and enjoyed great success there, too. Trestman also is in the mix for the Chicago Bears head-coaching job.
Olson currently is the quarterbacks coach/assistant head coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars. He has six years’ experience as an NFL offensive coordinator — Lions, Rams and Buccaneers. He is credited for the rapid development of Buccaneers quarterback Josh Freeman, among other things.
Finally, Roussel says the Raiders interviewed Bruce DeHaven for their special teams coordinator vacancy. DeHaven is well regarded and currently works for the Buffalo Bills.

• rediaR

Say no to Geno.

• Just Fire Baby

LMAO at #2345

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Believe me.. after combine.. prodays.. No way GENO SMITH wont be a top 10 qb.

look at ryan tannehill.. look at Christian Ponder.

Geno SMith was the No. 1 rated player in Broward County according to the Miami Herald and South Florida Sun Sentinel and finished No. 2 in the voting for Mr. Florida.[7]“

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

I wish one of these beat writers would come out.. and flat out ask.. What are you gonna do with Pryor

• rediaR

Build up the lines this year and draft an actual elite QB prospect next year.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Paul Gutierrez‏@PGutierrezCSN

“We’re not in a salary cap situation like last year, but we still have issues and…decisions that have to be made. ” – #Raiders McKenzie

• Just Fire Baby

You ok with taking Geno, JFB?

************************

Ideally you could trade down first with it, but yes I would be on board.

I am a value guy for the first round. Give me the unquestioned best prospect at their position, over say the possible 2nd or 3rd best DE (like the Jones-Werner-Moore debate).

So my board at #3 would be Chance Warmack, Geno Smith and Manti Te’O, and if you can trade down and still get one of the three, even better.

• The_Judge37

2342.raidertalk Says:
    January 17th, 2013 at 2:24 pm
    Man this Te’o chit gets weirder and weirder. I feel like I’ve fallen down the rabbit hole on this. He did have a GF; he didn’t; she existed she did not exist!?

This is competing with Rolondo’s BS!
    —–

Doesn’t everyone BS on facebook?

Like:”Going Hiking” when really they’re just eating cereal

• RaiderDebo

dr_robert Says:
    January 17th, 2013 at 2:21 pm
    I have said for at least a month that the raiders may need to go ahead and reach about for a top qb. I know a lot of u guys think we will be picking high next season but it’s not often I pick in the top three. There’s a lot to like about geno smith. Tons of starts. Accurate. Lots of Tds. Not many picks. Mobile. Good arm. Decent size.

I haven’t looked at all the qb’s of course. We will find out who is rising in the coming months. But I like what I’ve seen from geno. I don’t care for Barkley. I would have no issues with trading Palmer, trading or converting Pryor, and grabbing geno. Now we’ve got our qb. Proceed from there.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Ummm, you do know that Geno is black and not Italian, right doc?

• ENGLANDRAIDER

Mistic1 Tha Supavillain Says:
    January 17th, 2013 at 2:05 pm

“There is no scheme that will be able to save a 33 year old…”

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So you don’t think that Vick will play next year?

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Paul Gutierrez‏@PGutierrezCSN

#Raiders McKenzie would not give a timeline for new OC, but said, ‘We winding it down now to a couple of guys and, we’ll see.”

———————-

Probaly Winston moss for OC.. it will be his first spot as OC

• The Beeech Diggity Dawg

KoolKell Says:
    January 17th, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Just watched our last game again. No team is going to watch that and make even a 5th round offer for Pryor. Before Norv started putting in subs Pryor was 8 of 22. And the two garbage td’s were basically just that, garbage.

Pryor is here to stay. at least for one more year.

————-

Watching the game in your boxers or in your bathrobe?

Sad Old Troll

• rediaR

Warmack 2013!

• Just Fire Baby

The best thing about Geno Smith is his overall lack of athleticism.

He will learn to stay in the pocket, read defenses and sling it, immediately.

There will be no relying on waiting 4 seconds, make two guys miss and then make something happen offense his first few years.

• dr_robert

Missdick reminds me of a guy I met once (actually met several like him). I was 22 and selling cars for the summer. One night, a guy walks on the lot close to closing time. He says to me and another salesman, “Hey man. U guys wanna buy this gold necklace? I need cash to get home to LA. I’ll take fifty bucks.”

Then he can see my buddy (persian guy if thats inportant) is considering it. So he says “It’s real man! I’ll show u.”

He has us pop the hood on a car and rubs battery acid on the chain.

“See?”

Finally my buddy says no. In a few minutes our sales manager comes out and we tell him the story. He laughs his azz off. He says that’s an old hustle. Gold played stuff won’t react with acid either.

Missdick is doing a hustle. Dancing and hoping we buy. But as the dust is settling, my fellow raiders fans are starting to see fake sh1t he’s selling and getting wise.

• DennisAllensVisor

I can see Rob Ryan becoming the Packers DC.

• ENGLANDRAIDER

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    January 17th, 2013 at 2:29 pm

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That is such a good point.
    They didn’t ask Manti Te’o questions either.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Eric Gilmore‏@oregonducks17

Reggie McKenzie said he hopes to hire a new O-coordinator, special teams coordinator, LBs coach and and O-line coach “within a few days.”

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

That is such a good point.
    They didn’t ask Manti Te’o questions either.

—————-

Manti aint on the team. but these beat writers are tweeting to about Pryor all day long about the fans.. and yet they dont ask a simple question

• r8eray

Paul Gutierrez ‏@PGutierrezCSN
    Two other #Raiders players also underwent postseason surgeries — Khalif Barnes and Miles Burris

• ENGLANDRAIDER

News post.

• Mistic1 Tha Supavillain

I wouldnt care what was offered by philly for pryor you dont make that move.

Ther is not a qb in this years draft that i would grade higher than pryor, nor are there any free agents that i would build around.

In the nfl if you dont have a qb you have nothing, and pryor could be a special player and is already a special talent.

At only 22 years old he stepped onto an nfl feild for the first time in his life and with only 3 days of split team practices he put on a show. he made the san diego chargers number 11 defense look like ohio state vs indiana.

Trading your young talent at qb does not bring a good return.

besides who then plays qb? Are you willing to slog through another 4 win season with palmer at the helm amid turn overs and side line tantrums?

i really like geno smith, yet i wouldnt take him number 3 when i have pryor all ready in silver and black.

It would make more sense to draft another position of need at that spot if there is a player that grades out that high. If not trade the pick and stock the pond

• dr_robert

Debo–what? Black? I thought he was a-geno a-smith-a! I changed my mind!

Lol. Don’t care what color. Said that a LOT. he was the top qb in this class most of the year. He has everything. Not amazing athletically but mobile. I like him.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Eric Gilmore‏@oregonducks17

McKenzie acknowledged the ZBS didn’t fit McFadden. “He’s not a lateral mover. As soon as he can go north and south, he’s at his best

——————-

Validation to the fans from day 1 said ZBS didnt fit DMAC. Bob Wylie said it, Bill ROMO said it, Lorenzo NEAL said it. Fans here said it execpt a few who thought KNAPP and ZBS fitted DMAC

wont say any names but u know who u are

• Raider E

The best thing that Geno has is great intermediate accuracy and a quick release. Also is a smart, hard-working kid (at least by WVU) accounts.

I worry about his toughness, as he wasn’t hit much, and seemed resigned to losing a lot the end of the year, would have liked to see a little more fire from him.

I think #3 is too high, due to his bust potential, but I would be completely on board with taking him #3, and then drafting another QB in the 4th or 6th round.
    ————————

The kid wasnt hit much because he slides around the pocket and has great instinct.

• charminultrasoft

DennisAllensVisor Says:
    January 17th, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Matt Barkley has Jimmy Clausen written all over him.

> why cuz they are bot white? real original.

• charminultrasoft

Philly will give up a 2nd for Pryor. Raiders can draft a QB that can actually throw with accuracy. Geno Smith is a better QB. Pryor is expendable either way, there are better passers to be found.

• charminultrasoft

Geno Smith is more the prototype QB. pocket passer that can throw with accuracy. he plays with Fire too. you build a franchise around a QB with a REAL arm. end of story. But I’m biased as i prefer pocket passers. tyler wilson will also get a look. those are the 2 best QBs I’ve seen.

• DennisAllensVisor

3- Kwame Geathers [NT/DE, Georgia]
    4- Omoregie Uzzi [OG, G.Tech]
    6- Taylor Reed [ILB, SMU]
    7- Reid Fragel [RT, Ohio St]
    7- Greg Reid [CB, Valdosta]

• GForce21

Manziel seems really frail. Not sure he would last long running around like he does in the NFL. RGIII (frail) was an injury concern going back to his playing days in Killeen, Texas.

Russell Wilson is short, but he is built like a running back and seems much more durable (he also seems to have more awareness while on the move).

I am torn on drafting a QB this year. I like Geno Smiths accuracy and fire, but that would signal the end to the TP6 experiment. As highlighted by others, there is a better QB class coming out in 2014. If we do wait, we can see if Pryor can play or not.

I say draft the best pass rusher available at 3, and go from there. I like what Von Miller does for Denver and the pundits are saying that Jarvis Jones is the closest thing to him in this years draft. His spinal issues scare me though.