Raiders move even closer to rounding out coaching staff

By Steve Corkran
Saturday, January 19th, 2013 at 5:30 pm in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders hired long-time NFL coach Bobby April to fill their vacancy at special teams coordinator.
April spent the past three seasons as the Philadelphia Eagles special teams coordinator. Overall, he has coached 21 years in the NFL, mostly special teams, and 13 in the collegiate ranks.
Twice, April was named special teams coach of the year, both times when he was with the Buffalo Bills.
Coach Dennis Allen fired Steve Hoffman last season to coach special teams. Hoffman was one of four coaches fired by Allen after the 2012 season.
On Friday, the Raiders filled the first of those four vacancies by hiring Greg Olson to be their offensive coordinator. Allen still needs to add an offensive line and linebackers coach.
The Raiders confirmed the hiring of Olson on Saturday afternoon. They also said that the coaching staff is on its to Mobile, Ala., to commence preparation for coaching in the Senior Bowl.
Olson and April likely will be join the staff in Alabama at some point, if not from the outset.

• http://ggeden.blogspot.com/ GG

You lose the debate because….

I am in my right and justified in expressing disappointment with the hire of Olson BASED ON track-record. His record as OC overall. This is a public forum.

Olson’s record as OC IS bad. He’s been fired from every job. Can’t dispute that — his stats, w-l record, his firings, the ranking of his offenses.

That’s why Im validated in not liking the hire and expressing that opinion, and being very vocal even about it. JUST LIKE you allowed yourself to hate the Knapp hire same time LAST YEAR, before the season even began.

You havent got a point in this debate at all. There is not even a debate here. You’re just venting angrily at me because I said I dont like him, and you want to wait and see. I didnt tell you to NOT wait and see, did i?? I didnt tell you you HAD TO dislike him, did i?? NO! Cork told you to like him. Dont be mad at me. I am letting you make your own judgments for yourself. But you’re just deciding to personally attack me for your nightly amusement or whatever.

Seriously man. Geez.

• http://ggeden.blogspot.com/ GG

Also, it’s not been just me who has vented negatively about Olson. You only picked me out to attack because you just wanted to nightly amuse yourself, or because you have some past grudge against me i dont even know about. Screw your head back on. You’ve been woeful tonight.

Are the Rams really going to hire Rob Ryan as DC when you’ve got candidates like Lovie Smith, Romeo Crennel, Ray Horton & Raheem Morris out there?

Would you guys want Frank Bush as LB Coach, if we can’t get Rob Ryan?

how about Blake Williams?
    he’s been with the Redskins, Jags, Saints & Rams.

I like the Bobby April hire.

still unsure about Olson … but I agree with Jhill & many others that your coaches are only as good as the players you have for them to work with

is Olson gonna cure Palmer’s turnover problem?
    is he going to keep McFadden healthy?
    is he going to bring in 3 legit O-Line starters to replace Barnes, Brisiel & Carlisle?
    is he going to eliminate all the drops from WR’s & TE’s?

• C2E

Mormon’ nation. I had terrible dream that Greg Olson was hired as OC. Shew.

the players have to take it upon themselves to improve over the offseason, then on into OTA’s, camp & preseason. Meet with the individual position coaches & trainers, fellow teammates and other personal mentors.

Greg Olson or any other OC isn’t going to solve everything. All we can hope for is that he’s a good play caller on Sundays.

If the players don’t execute, he’ll look like a failure … whether he actually is one or not!!

morning C!

I had a dream that Reggie replaced our nerdy coaches like Allen, Olson & Tarver with big dumb uglies like Tom Cable as HC with Bill Callahan at OC and Rob Ryan at DC

then we traded Carson Palmer and Terrelle Pryor became the next Randall Cunningham

• mcskinnnylegs

#556 lmao that was great.
    SAY IT AINT SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• mcskinnnylegs

C2E Says:
    January 20th, 2013 at 5:02 am
    Mormon’ nation. I had terrible dream that Greg Olson was hired as OC. Shew.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    fn best post of the day but the day is young

Morrison & Higgins > McClain & Ford

print that

• CarolinaRaider

Thank goodness bedtime came along. GG and his continuous dribble over a lousy debate (does not matter who is right) was really beginning to annoy me. I don’t know how old he is but can tell you how old he acted last night. Now, back to Raider football……go….

• C2E

Which free agent, Barring tags, are most attractive? The days of big splashes are over but RM will go after a few vets this off-season.

• http://www.safc.com/the-club/stadium/about-the-stadium-of-light neilb

The first free agent spot the Raiders should fix is center so that Wiz can go back to guard.

• Plunketthead

RaiderRockstar Says:
    January 20th, 2013 at 5:18 am
    Morrison & Higgins > McClain & Ford

print that
    ********************

I will print it but Tom Cable is neither dumb nor ugly.

Is Johnny still in the NFL?

• Plunketthead

Nothing I would like more then to see the NFL get the matchup they don’t want.

Go Falcons
    Go Ravens

• http://www.safc.com/the-club/stadium/about-the-stadium-of-light neilb

Can’t believe some are writing Olson off before a ball is snapped.

• http://www.safc.com/the-club/stadium/about-the-stadium-of-light neilb

Bill Belichick…

36 – 44 record in 4 yrs with the browns.By the logic of some he should never have been given the chance to be a head coach again.

Whatever did happen to Belichick?

• edward teach

553.RaiderRockstar Says:
    January 20th, 2013 at 3:31 am

********************************************************

Horton got hired by Cleveland about 20 minutes after he left the Cardinals. Lovie said he wants to be a HC and will not interview for any DC positions. Raheem Morris just signed on as the DBs coach for Shanarat. Don’t know about Romeo; he might be taking a year off.

• http://www.safc.com/the-club/stadium/about-the-stadium-of-light neilb

Plunketthead….

Hate the Pats but don’t want the Ravens to win after that cheap trick fake field goal they pulled against us.

• The_Civilian_James_Trapp

Alex7 Says:
    January 20th, 2013 at 12:21 am
    Just like Hue going 8-8 yet only 3-3 in weak Manning-less AFC West.

And blowout losses vs Packers, Patriots, Dolphins, and Broncos.

context matters.

=========

LMAO @ u Madden! Denise gotta a full season of Palmer & DMC. Hue didn’t. 8-8 is pretty impressive when you have a 1,000,000 more things of adversity going on that Denise & Shreg do.

Anybody with a half a brain could see that our O was the strength the last 2 seasons and if we had a mediocre(not even good) defense we would have went to the playoffs last year. Hue with Del Rio would have been way better than what Shreg & his insecure pet could ever do.

BTW, the stadium was filled a lot more the last 2 years. I know you don’t understand this since you’re a little pu$$y hanging out at mom’s house on the computer all day, thus trying to play the internet genius.

But the fans want something to enjoy watching.
    Now what do we have that is the selling point? I mean the few remaining Denise apologists like you are the ones that have never played football, go to games, buy merchandise, etc. So your “support” of them is worthless financial-wise. You just like to sit around all day whining about the great Al Davis. Somebody who obviously lived his dream & had the fortitude to achieve his goals in his life while you’re waiting for that divorced, snaggle-toothed 7-11 cashier to return your phone calls.

• Dakota

Posted 12 hours ago
    By Chris McPherson
    The Oakland Raiders announced on Saturday evening that they have named Bobby April as their new special teams coordinator. April had spent the past three seasons in the same role with the Eagles. It’s another position that will have to be filled by new head coach Chip Kelly, who provided an update on the coaching search earlier in the day.

This past season, punter Mat McBriar averaged 46.5 yards per punt and punt returner Damaris Johnson returned a punt 98 yards for a touchdown at Dallas, marking a franchise record and tying for the third-longest punt return in NFL history. Kicker Alex Henery set a franchise record with 22 consecutive successful field goal attempts.

In 2011, April successfully integrated a rookie kicker and a rookie punter into the league. Henery set a team record connecting on 88.9 percent of his field goal tries, connecting on his last 16 attempts. April’s punt-coverage unit allowed just 176 return yards, the fourth fewest in the NFL, and the team ranked third in the league in yards per return.

In his first season with the Eagles in 2010, April’s group ranked seventh in the NFL in net-punting average, ninth in kickoff coverage and 12th in punt return average. Kicker David Akers led the league in scoring and was selected for the Pro Bowl, while punter Sav Rocca set a franchise record with a 39.0 net-punting average.

Make sure to follow us on Twitter @EaglesInsider

• Plunketthead

Neil I am still chaffed raw from the tuck rule

Beside, Bellicheat is the devil himself

• Gdog

RaiderRockstar Says:
    January 20th, 2013 at 4:58 am

I like the Bobby April hire.

is Olson gonna cure Palmer’s turnover problem?

>>>>>

Knapp already “fixed” that at the expense of red zone TDs.

I will trade an extra int for two extra TDs a game any day… as would anyone else in that watches the NFL.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

I’m not sold on Olson, but I do like April a lot.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

I hate Billisacheat and his little biatch T Brady.

• Dakota

Are you kidding? Go ravens! No question about it! Lesser of two evils. Had the broncos won last week then I would be a patriots fan today. Again, lesser of two evils.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

When male reporters allowed in female locker rooms?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Female reporters are allowed in male locker rooms.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Are* Male reporters……

• Dakota

I also do not want the patriots to win another title, so I have to ask myself which NFC has the best chance to beat them, and that would be the 49ers. I don’t hold the regional hate against them that a lot of you do. If the afc game was first, and I knew the ravens had won then I would be going for the falcons.

Anyhow I had a dream last night that we were the top seed in the playoffs, but we blew a huge lead and lost in overtime To San Diego. I had a sub sandwich and in my rage I started smashing it against my man cave walls.

• Myopinion

This greg olsen hire, has tp starting written all over it. He doesnt have the playcalling accolades, hes made his name developing young qbs. And his power run and vertical gameplan takes alot of the short.timinf routes away, the one place he needs some work. I also think most of the tp haters say hes just an atlete, thats not true. But say it is, we know have probably top 15 atletes in the game not just qb. how many qbs brwak out their senior year in college? He didnt have that. And to me this guy has been humbled. I dont think he ever had to work on his game. He got out of bed better than everyone else. No work needed.

• boss01

The Olson hire was the best cheapest option out there. Since DA made the decision, no doubt he didn’t want a high profile guy coming in here, especially one with HC experience like Martz or Norv. The other hot OC candidates were all looking for HC gigs. This is why Olson is your new OC.

• Myopinion

Now you have one of the top athletes in the game. Who is willing to outwork anyone. I also read into rms press con. He made a point to say even num.1 qb is open. And I know about the cap hits if we get rid of palmer, but palmer said.himself the money isnt everything. I could see a lot of athletes taking less money for a shot to leave a legacy. I hope hes willing to do whatever for that last shot to prove himself elsewhere

• bigsnow81

Of the teams left that I don’t dislike is the dirty birds. With that said I really want the 49ers to lose a Super Bowl. I think I want the Ravens v. 49ers.

• boss01

Kaepernik will wilt under the pressure of the bright lights.

Bill Polian was the only one that had the Falcons vs. Ravens in the SB in the beginning of the season. I hope that will be the case because the whiners and patriots are the teams i hate the most.

• Gdog

Myopinion Says:
    January 20th, 2013 at 7:22 am

>>>

He needs a ton of work on all of his routes. Years worth IMO.

To think this hire has anything to do with Pryor is wishful thinking considering Olson’s best year was with Bulger and Jackson.

Bulger and Jackson remind me of Palmer and McFadden.

You are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Pryor will be the backup QB for as long as Palmer is in the S and B. Why don’t you just deal with reality and move on?

• Dakota

Pryor is a good athlete, who can’t throw very well.

• Dakota

Right not eight…..fkn phone!

• boss01

Pryor is Kaepernik without the gun. You can’t survive as a QB in the NFL throwing floaters all the time. If your only good throw is the deep ball and you suck at the rest, you will be a backup QB your entire career.

• boss01

All the running QB’s this year have one thing that Pryor does not, an NFL arm.

Wilson, Kaepernik, RG3 even Vick all have NFL arms. Pryor has a backup arm. End of Story.

• http://www.actionext.com/playlist_57486.html La Milicia Negra

neilb Says:
    January 20th, 2013 at 6:25 am

Plunketthead….

_________________________________________________________

tuck rule weighs way more than a fake field goal in a game we already had lost…

• http://www.actionext.com/playlist_57486.html La Milicia Negra

Raider O Says:
    January 20th, 2013 at 7:06 am

I’m not sold on Olson, but I do like April a lot.
    _________________________________________________________

I dont get that at all, April isnt a good hire imho, he didnt fare well in 2012 an he had great players on that ST..

he is a pubes hair width better than what we had in 2012, so in other words CRAP!

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

“Pryor is a good athlete, who can’t throw very well.

He better make the eight choice and start working on his hands. His choice; ride the bench pretending to be a quarterback, or get on the field as a wr or te and contribute.”

I agree 100% here. he can so many things so well he just cant throw the ball!! in the modern era, in today’s NFL you might have to throw the ball 60 times a game…so yeah its kind of important for a QB to have a god arm.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Team Needs:
    Two Defensive Tackles: It doesn’t appear as though Richard Seymour will be back next year. Desmond Bryant is also a free agent. And I don’t need to point out that Tommy Kelly is a lazy player who is more interested in injuring the other quarterback than winning. Two defensive tackle upgrades are needed. One could be Star Lotulelei via the third pick this April, as seen here in my 2013 NFL Mock Draft.

Two Cornerbacks: As you’ll see, the Raiders need multiples of various things on defense, including cornerbacks. This area was so bad this past season that safety Michael Huff had to start at one of the positions.

Three Linebackers: Not one, not two, but three. The linebacking corps is that putrid. Philip Wheeler is a free agent who must be retained. Rolando McClain doesn’t really care. Miles Burris, meanwhile, was a disappointment, but is still young, so he’ll likely get another shot.

Defensive End: Excluding the Jaguars, no team had fewer sacks in the NFL last year than the Raiders. The front office needs to find some help across from Lamarr Houston. Damonte Moore could be a possibility with the No. 3 pick in the 2013 NFL Draft.

Right Tackle: The right tackle position has been a big problem area for the Raiders in recent years. Neither Khalif Barnes nor Willie Smith played well there in 2012.

Quarterback: Carson Palmer just turned 33. He’s good enough to get a team into the playoffs if he has good talent to work with and a solid defense to support him, but that’s clearly not the case. By the time Oakland rebuilds its team properly, Palmer will be too old to make a postseason run. Unless the Raiders think Terrelle Pryor is the long-term answer, they’ll need to bring in a young quarterback to groom behind Palmer.

Tight End: Brandon Myers caught 79 passes in 2012. The Raiders will obviously need to replace that production if he walks.

Guard: Left guard Cooper Carlisle is a free agent. Tony Bergstrom, a third-round pick in 2012, should be able to move into that position, but Oakland will have to add depth.

Punter: Shane Lechler is a free agent

Oakland Raiders Free Agents:

Salary Cap: TBA.
    Philip Wheeler, OLB, Raiders. Age: 28.
    Philip Wheeler was one of the most improved players in the NFL this past season. He thrived in every aspect, including blitzing, and he’s earned a huge pay day this spring. And to think, the Raiders obtained him for a mere 1-year, $700,000 contract during the previous offseason.

Richard Seymour, DT, Raiders. Age: 33.
    Richard Seymour has been tremendous over the years, including the first half of this past season. Unfortunately, he missed the final eight games of his 2012 campaign because of a hamstring injury. He’ll be 34 in October, so it’s fair to wonder if his body is breaking down.

Brandon Myers, TE, Raiders. Age: 27.
    Brandon Myers isn’t much of a blocker, but he was a very dependable target for Carson Palmer in 2012, catching close to 80 balls.

Desmond Bryant, DT, Raiders. Age: 27.
    Desmond Bryant served as a solid interior pass-rusher after Richard Seymour was lost for the year. Excluding Lamarr Houston, no other Raider defensive lineman was better at applying pressure on the quarterback, though that’s not saying much.

Shane Lechler, P, Raiders. Age: 37.
    Shane Lechler has been recognized as one of the NFL’s top punters over the years, but he appears to be finished at 37. His net punting average ranked in the bottom 10.

Cooper Carlisle, G, Raiders. Age: 36.
    Cooper Carlisle pass protected well last season, but struggled to open up running lanes for Darren McFadden and Marcel Reece. Carlisle will be 36 in August, so he shouldn’t get anything more than the veteran minimum.

Joselio Hanson, CB, Raiders. Age: 32.
    Joselio Hanson was one of Philadelphia’s final cuts prior to the season. The Raiders snatched him up, and he actually played pretty well for them as their nickel corner.

Mike Goodson, RB, Raiders. Age: 26.
    Shawntae Spencer, CB, Raiders. Age: 31.
    Phillip Adams (RFA), S, Raiders. Age: 25.
    Matt Shaughnessy, DE, Raiders. Age: 26.
    Michael Mitchell, S, Raiders. Age: 26.
    Andre Carter, DE, Raiders. Age: 34.
    Matt Giordano, S, Raiders. Age: 30.
    Derek Hagan, WR, Raiders. Age: 28.
    Khalif Barnes, OT, Raiders. Age: 31.
    Omar Gaither, ILB, Raiders. Age: 29.
    Matt Leinart, QB, Raiders. Age: 30.
    Coye Francies (RFA), CB, Raiders. Age: 26.

• Just Fire Baby

This Olson guys resume reads a lot like Hue’s before he got here.

QB coach the year before he joined us. Olson 7 stops in 11 years, Hue 6 stops in 11 years. 2 failed, 1-year stints as an OC with two different organizations. Prefers more PBS.

Damn near identical!!!!

• Myopinion

Gdog im not mistic, im white. Palmer has just totally turned me off. I remember I was mad when they traded for him. Then he had an a great game, and I ate my words. I have no bias. But ive watched every game. I personally dont want him, will cheer for him 100%, hes one of those practice superstars, he probably looks beter than beady,manning in practice. But when the going gets tuff. He blows it everytime. The reason jason cambell, dalton did better than him.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Resign Bryant, Shaughnessy, and Wheeler.
    Release/ trade TK and McClain.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

1- CB D Milliner
    3- DE Brandon Jenkins
    4- MLB Andrew Jackson

Or

1- DE/ OLB D Moore
    3- DE Brandon Jenkins or CB Leon McFadden
    4- MLB Andrew Jackson

• http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders Silverandblack666

“Gdog im not mistic, im white. Palmer has just totally turned me off. ”

Palmer is a good soldier he kept quiet during the Knapp debacle and if Hue was here last year instead of Knapp you would have seen a different Palmer, one that was more tolerable. I saw a couple of times this season Palmer on the sidelines trying to talk with Knapp after coming off the field and Knapp rolling his eyes in arrogance not even listening to Palmer, it was a bad combination next year it will be different.

There is just not enough Drew Breeses in the world to go around so lets wait until next years draft and see if we can get our own Andrew Luck in 2014 but no way do we go after a QB in this years draft.