Report: Raiders expand talks with candidates about upper management role

By Steve Corkran
Sunday, January 20th, 2013 at 10:55 am in Oakland Raiders.

This was filed by beat writer Jerry McDonald a few minutes ago:

The Raiders are talking with Scott O’Neil, the former president of Madison Square Garden , about a position as team president, according to a tweet Sunday by ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

It is the second person reportedly involved in discussions with owner Mark Davis about an upper management position, joining NFL executive vice president Ray Anderson.

It is unclear what that position would mean to Raiders CEO Amy Trask and general manager Reggie McKenzie. Trask has been involved strictly on the business side since McKenzie arrived, including leading an effort for a new stadium.

McKenzie was asked about the reports of a team president while talking with local writers Thursday and said, “That’s a Mark Davis deal. I don’t want to give any leeway of his line of thinking on that. . . . I don’t want to divulge any information in that regard. I’ll let Mark answer those questions.

Davis was not available for comment.

O’Neil, 42, resigned his post as Madison Square Garden president in September after four years on the job. His responsibilities included overseeing the season-ticket and marketing operations of the New York Knicks and New York Rangers.

According to the New York Times, O’Neil “gradually increased his involvement in Knicks’ personnel decisions, often to the annoyance of the basketball operations staff.’’

• mcfadden20.

ohioraider Says:
    January 20th, 2013 at 6:45 pm

mcfadden20. Says:
    January 20th, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Whiners fans are just idiots, we don’t even need to look outside the blog to confirm that, just look at MR, priesttj, raiderdebo
    ——————————-
    Really? You’re calling the NFC champs “whiners” still? I’d say your a nonthinking douchebag. You’re the worst kind of fan, and a real moron to boot. Eat that NFC championship McFadden.

I know it’s not the real OhioRaider

• lefty12

DR,all you do is add fuel the fire whether you are joking or not and the topic doesn’t need any fuel-it is alive and going strong without it.

• dr_robert

Gdog–kaepernick might actually be the wave of the future. He could pass for any ethnicity. Would it surprise u to be told he was black, white, Latino, Jewish, middle eastern,?

I remember the thing Reggie white got in trouble saying about all the different colored people making up the face of God. I actually thought ur a great thing he said.

I like kaepernick. He certainly is an amazing talent.

• Priesttj12

Beach I wish I knew but the guy is great at it. he’ll have guys goin’ for hours and they have no idea it’s not me.

• beach

I think Baltimore is Atlanta with a defense, and that gives CK no edge at all!

• 504 Raider

Cameras following Ray Lewis around and Lewis looks like he’s looking for Te’os girlfriend.

• Dakota

Just keep Kobe and let him shoot 40 times a game for the next 2.5 seasons and see if he can overtake Kareem.

Then rebuild.

• Thec

beach Says:
    January 20th, 2013 at 6:49 pm
    Priest, how do they get your account?

++++++++++

That person works for the blog, and one of the media outlets.

• J Hill

it is Ricochet.

——————————————–

Yup.

Was much more useful as Ricohet too.

You should cut it out, Rich. Cmon, man. What’s the point?

• dr_robert

Lefty–yeah I know but it’s kinda fun sometimes.

• Thec

Only individuals that work for the blog can clone a poster.

• Thec

J Hill Says:
    January 20th, 2013 at 6:52 pm
    it is Ricochet.

——————————————–

Yup.

Was much more useful as Ricohet too.

You should cut it out, Rich. Cmon, man. What’s the point?

++++++++==

Would you guys be suprised if Rich was one of the guys in local media????

Jerry, Steve, or even becker

• RaidO

GO RAVENS!

Don’t want to see the 49ers win. Actually i don’t see how any REAL Raider fan will be pulling for the 49ers.

• J Hill

Kobe is a fraud.

—————————————

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Complete Arssehole.

But CLEARLY 2nd best 2 guard ever.

• mcfadden20.

Pau Gasol came back , n all of a sudden they are allowing over 100 points, freakin idiots, keep him away from the line up , the O is not the problem, the D is the problem

• dr_robert

Kell–ok I’ll give u done attention. So ur saying I’m fangs, even though I said he was an idiot and guessed he was in jail? That’s what ur brain is telling u?

• papertiger418

Have fun sitting at home, Brady!

Good thing you have Giselle to tuck you in at night.

• Thec

papertiger418 Says:
    January 20th, 2013 at 6:57 pm
    Have fun sitting at home, Brady!

Good thing you have Giselle to tuck you in at night.

++++++++=

Bet he would rather go to the SB

• lefty12

While J Hill and Dakota have BB,at least I’ll be able to follow golf until the pitchers and catchers report since as far as I’m concerned football is over with.LOL

• CDERaider

Harbowl. Yippeee!

(barf)

• mcfadden20.

Ice Hockey is back and Sharks won 4-1

• Priesttj12

This cements the greatness of the Harbaugh clan. I wanted Jimmy bad but when we got Hue I kind of accepted it. But I wish I wish I wish we could get David Shaw. He was born and bred a Raider, he and Jim Harbaugh along with Steve Sarkisian whom I would also LOVE to have coach this team.

I have said and still believe Reggie will be gone before we’re really good. I just think he’s way too green. There is no way I would’ve let Turner get away if I’m him no matter what DA says. DA srewed the pooch with his first hire =, no way I let him do it again.

But maybe it gets us where we need to go even faster. I have lost all confidence in anything Reggie does going forward. I’m sorry I just don’t see the urgency and direction. He says he’s biuld ing the right way but what does he mean? That just means he’s doing what he wants, who’s to say it’s right? No one but himself.

• Dakota

Mcfadden20. Says:
    January 20th, 2013 at 6:57 pm
    ——

They played fine under Bernie.

The coach and entire system is the problem.

Should have hired Phil Jackson.

• dr_robert

I’m a real raider fan and while I don’t care for the niners, I don’t hate them. I know a lot if niner fans here in my area (way more than raiders) and I’d be happy for them. And I like harbaugh and kaepernick. I don’t really have a raven player I like all that well. I don’t care who wins really.

• mcfadden20.

Atleast 1 team the Raider fans really hate, lost, now hopefully Ravens take care of Wh1ners, what’s more deflating, AFC championship loss, or Superbowl loss? I would say superbowl, Whiners fans are going to get their hearts ripped

• J Hill

Riff,

The problem with the Lakers is the same thing it’s been for 3 years. PG defense. Do you see the look in the other team’s PG faces when Nash is on them? Worse than Sessions, who was worse than Fisher.

Artest should be coming off the bench as a 6th man. He gets Kobeitis A LOT and shoots us into major slumps. The occasional defensive steal doesn’t make up for him not really stopping anyone. LeBron and Durant laugh at Artest. He’s old, man.

Darrius Morris???

• Raider Riff

Wow. Bellicheat at his best. He has to be the most bastard post game interview of all time.

He answers not a single question. I get why. But damn.

• dr_robert

At least priest doesn’t seem to be particularly racist. Doesn’t like Reggie. Likes harbaugh. Wish he was more sane and lied less though.

• Dakota

Mike NoD&Baloney is a joke hc.

• Thec

Thec Says:
    January 20th, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Only individuals that work for the blog can clone a poster.
    ———————–
    Really?

• J Hill

Would you guys be suprised if Rich was one of the guys in local media????

————————————————————–

Nope.

• lefty12

Thec,1112,you just might have something there.

• morilla

I really don’t have any ill will towards the Niners. I just don’t really think of them. Maybe it’s because I don’t live in the area anymore and I don’t have to deal with the day to day pissing contest. I could see how that might drive such feelings of contempt.

• mcfadden20.

Dakota Says:
    January 20th, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Mcfadden20. Says:
    January 20th, 2013 at 6:57 pm
    ——

They played fine under Bernie.

The coach and entire system is the problem.

Should have hired Phil Jackson.

Yah, i thought they should have gave him 4-5 more games and should have gotten a good look at him, players were energized, and playing freely,and were putting up 110+ points a game, but the management crumbled under pressure and brought Mike aNtoni, I took the D out, because he doesn’t know anything that starts with D

• beach

That is not Priest. Priest is a Raiders fan.

• morilla

Raider Riff Says:
    January 20th, 2013 at 7:03 pm

He answers not a single question. I get why. But damn.

==========

It’s uncomfortable to watch.

• J Hill

Do you see the look on everyone’s face when Gasoft is “guarding the rim”

• Priesttj12

RaidO Says:
    January 20th, 2013 at 6:55 pm
    GO RAVENS!

************************************************
    You are absolutely RIGHT, but I’m severely wounded right now and will accept any and all criticism because I know I deserve it. But right now the Raiders are downright unfamiliar to me. That pain is damn near indescribable so I use the Niners as more of a salve if you will.

It doesn’t matter to me who ultimately wins however I must admit I am a kappy fan and a HUGE Jim Harbaugh fan. I wouldn’t be caught dead in Niner gear nor anywhere near a Niner party. I hate their fans with a passion…….period

• mcfadden20.

given**

• Thec

Thec Says:
    January 20th, 2013 at 7:04 pm
    Thec Says:
    January 20th, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Only individuals that work for the blog can clone a poster.
    ———————–
    Really?
    ++++

Yeah really clone…
    Only you guys can do this. A common blogger cannot.

Ypu can login to the sever with VPN access from anywhere.

I bet you are at home…

• beach

How are the 49ers 4.5 favorites over the Ravens? Honestly, the Ravens win at Denver and at New England, and now big underdogs to the 49ers?

• mcfadden20.

Can’t win when you have 2 of the worst D players in the league in the line up at the same time, n why the eff has the Lakers neglected the PG position for so long, has me scratching my head, can’t remember who was our last good PG was (defensively talking)

• Silvertongue

marcel reece going to the pro bowl

• Raider Riff

J Hill Says:
    January 20th, 2013 at 7:03 pm
    Riff,

Darrius Morris???

—————–

So if I understand… Kobe gets all the credit when you guys win. And when you lose its everyone elses faults?

From my standpoint, do you not see what Im saying? You Laker fans can be so crazy in the way you defend him. It cant be both ways. If hes going to get the credit, he needs the blame.

I’ll tell you what the real issue is. Lack of leadership. Remember a few years back when they missed the playoffs and Kobe was threatening to leave? Then the following year they get knocked out in the first round. What was missing? Leadership.

They bring back Fisher and all of a sudden the Lakers were contenders again.

Fisher is once again gone and what do you know, they suck. Despite having a VERY talented roster.

Fisher may have been a liability as a player in most every aspect, but he was THE leader of that team and now that he’s gone, it’s a rudderless ship.

Kobe may be the best player in the league in most respects, but he has zero leadership skills.

Get yourself a defensive PG all you want and it wont turn the Lakers around. You guys are not one defensive player away. Not even close.

Keep going down this road and Dwight will not stick around after this year. Then where will you be?

Dwight is not a leader.
    Pau isnt a leader.
    Nash is but there is no way he can challenge Kobe for Alpha status in that locker room.
    Artest is not a leader.

You want to see what a leader looks like, go watch Chris Paul run the Clippers.

• Thec

lefty12 Says:
    January 20th, 2013 at 7:04 pm
    Thec,1112,you just might have something there.

+++++++++++=

Lefty12, post 1132 is not me. as soon as I said something about the “cloner” I was cloned.

• CDERaider

Niners are early 4.5 point favorites. Take the Ravens.

Ravens 24
    Niners 20

• Priesttj12

Beach that is me I am the ultimate Raider fan who is suffering worse than words can describe and probably using the Niners kind of like one would use a lady of the night to get out of hoc. I hate them really but as I said I’m wounded by the mess we are right now.

• mcfadden20.

Lakers traded the wrong guy, should have traded Gasol , not Bynum (yes his health is a huge problem , but the guy could play some D, n should have gone after decent back up centers and decent PF

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Vic Tafur‏@VicTafur

#49ers first team in NFL history to reach the Super Bowl with a head coach and starting quarterback in their first two years in the NFL.

• 505raiders

yeah sharpe calling out bilacheat for not doing a post game