Former Raiders WR Rice backs WR Brown’s Super Bowl ‘sabotage’ accusation

By Steve Corkran
Tuesday, January 22nd, 2013 at 2:12 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Former Raiders wide receiver Jerry Rice just appeared on ESPN’s NFL Live show. During a phone interview, Rice backed fellow former Raiders wide receiver Tim Brown’s accusation that coach Bill Callahan “sabotaged” the Raiders’ chances of winning the Super Bowl against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers by changing the game plan the Friday before the game.
This story just keeps getting stranger by the minute, with numerous players chiming in on the subject. It’s worth noting that Jon Ritchie, the fullback on that team, also feels the same way, while linebacker Bill Romanowski, right offensive tackle Lincoln Kennedy, safety Rod Woodson and quarterback Rich Gannon disagreed with Brown’s seemingly outlandish accusation.
There will be plenty more on this as it unfolds, including any comment from Callahan, who now is with the Dallas Cowboys. Also, beat writer Jerry McDonald is working on a story for later today.
In the interim, here’s what Rice had to say:

Q: Was the game plan changed Friday before the game?
A: “Yes, it did. I was very surprised by that because you work all week long running the football, then all of a sudden on that given Friday, we decided that we were going to come out and throw the ball over 60 times. What Bill Callahan, and what Tim Brown is accusing him of is that, why would you wait until the last second to change the game plan.”

Q: In any way, do you think Callahan tried to sabotage the Raiders’ chances of winning the Super Bowl?
A: “With Tim Brown, he had been with the Raiders longer, and I recall when I first went to the Raiders, for some reason, and I don’t know why, Bill Callahan, he did not like me. He was that type of coach. Some of the things that happened, with him walking off the field during the game, not being happy about certain situations, I was very surprised that he waited until the last second, and a lot of the players, they were surprised also. So, in a way, maybe because he didn’t like the Raiders, he decided that, ‘Hey, look, maybe we should sabotage this a little bit and let Jon Gruden go out and win this one.’ ”

Q: In saying that, you’re saying that Callahan would, perhaps, risk his career to let the Bucs win?
A: “Yeah, I know exactly what I’m saying. This is a discussion that Tim and I had. Being veterans, we know that you don’t wait until the last second to change the game plan. It has a lot to do with the center, too. He was like, ‘You can’t do this to us right now,’ and maybe that was the reason why he ended up going over to Mexico and he was a no show during the Super Bowl.”

Q: So, you think Callahan’s changing the game plan prompted center Barret Robbins to go to Mexico on the Saturday before the game?
A: “Well, without a doubt because, the center is just like a quarterback on the field. He has to get all the calls right. All week long, we worked on a certain defense. Then, on that given Friday, (Callahan) decided to change the game plan to a passing game. With Barret, he was frustrated, he was, like, ‘You cannot do this to us at the last second.’ Maybe that’s the reason why he decided to not show up.”

Q: Have you and Tim Brown confronted Bill Callahan with your stance about him sabotaging the Super Bowl?
A: “We never had the opportunity. But, as a veteran and as a guy that had been around for a long time, you don’t want to question your coach at that time. But we just found that it was very unusual to change everything, when we had Tyrone Wheatley and also Charlie Garner, and we had probably the best fullback in the league with Zack Crockett. So, we had a game plan and all of a sudden you change that game plan. Basically, we didn’t know exactly was going to happen in that Super Bowl.”

Q: Just to clarify, you believe that Callahan potentially and deliberately hurt the Raiders’ chances of winning that Super Bowl?
A: “Well, this is what I’m saying. I just felt it was very unusual. Tim Brown, he was like the guy in Oakland, and if he was suspicious of something like that, I really have to believe Tim Brown because this guy was everything with the Oakland Raiders. He had been there a long, long time and this was a discussion that we had after. I just found it to be very unusual because you want to go into that situation knowing exactly what you want to do, how you want to approach that defensive opponent, and we changed everything that Friday.”

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

DJ,

I disagree. I think we are all nuts. You have to be a little nutty to stay/ enjoy this place.

• beach

Raider O Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 10:24 pm
    DJ,

—————————-
    and to be an Oakland Raiders fan! :)

• papertiger418

I’m real.

WHUT WHUT

• Priesttj12

DJ Johnny Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 10:03 pm
    RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 9:54 pm
    SBreport‏@SBreport

Reggie McKenzie: Terrelle Pryor will have the opportunity to compete for starting quarterback.

———————–

Here here.. here here.. Read it ppl.. RAIDERS GM SPEAKS..

haha told ya’ll

C’mon man. Do u think the board is entirely divided between Pryor fans and Palmer fans?

There are some (like myself) that are happy there’s a competition. No need to promote division and discord.
    ************************************
    DJ, listen man that is all that’s ever in here is division and discord. When we first started to talk up Pryor those who felt threatened called that kid everything except a child of God. Said he was too stupid he was dumb couldn’t learn the playbook and couldn’t get in and out of the huddle they have disgraced this kid in every way imaginable. Now that he is slowly proving them wrong their tune is changing to cover their asses. For 2 years I’ve been listening to their crap now you want to talk about division and discord.

You guys have a lot of freakin nerve. You would’ve thought he couldn’t throw a forward pass 2mos ago. Now he being considered for the starting spot theiir tune is changing. The same as it did when Cam newton made them look bad and RG3 who JFB said wouldn’t be higher than a 3rd rnd pick. Pryor went in the 3rd rnd and they said he shouldn’t have been picked that high and he was now a Raider.

YOU pissed me off with this will he ever be good starter. What the hell have I been saying for 2 years………have you not read a word in 2 years of my opinion about the kid?

To ask me do I think he will be good was flat out foolish IMO why else would I want him to start so he can suck??

You guys are doing the same damn thing to Pryor that you did to JC but you kiss every other QB’s ass. Who would not be able to figure that crap out in 8 years of reading it. It’s obvious black QB’s don’t get half a chance in here before they get dumped on.

That is the history of this place.

• alex7

technically, every year there is “competition” for the starting spot. Most coaches talk about how players have to earn their spots, even starters.

I’ll gladly put down $100 that a healthy CP3 on the team starts over Pryor and his 12 for 30 with 4 yard average.

• alex7

Now remember McKenzie told reporters just last week that he’s tight-lipped about roster moves, draft picks, etc.

IF, and it’s just an IF, McKenzie was interested in either drafting Geno Smith, or trading for Matt Flynn, pumping up your 46% backup QB would make sense.

• papertiger418

This story horrifies me because it’s like every other national Raiders story for the past decade: F@ck!ng Crazy

Cork needs to put something up on which players we’re going to cut as soon as the rosters are unlocked.

Romac
    Lechler
    Leinart

Who else is out the door?

• beach

Priest, I can appreciate where you are coming from. At the same time, when we have seen the likes of Aaron Brooks and JaMarcus Russell, and Campbell was average in my opinion, you have to understand that people will be skeptical. Unfortunately, we do not have RG III or Russell Wilson.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Hearing reggie interview it sounds like they may do some read option stuff.. said they are gonna do what his strengths are..

but he wants to see Pryor take over the preseason.. meaning.. he wants him to be the clear cut starter. ITs up to pryor.. he has to show he has it.

I will just say PRYOR / DMAC/ REECE / watchout!!!!

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

That is the history of this place.
    ——————————-
    Yep, I can testify under oath. My white wife is the first person brought up, if I say anything even slightly controversial, which I’m prone do do.

There’s definitely a double standard in here.

• alex7

Tim Brown vs Joe Bugel and OC Ray Perkins, 1997:

“The game against the Chiefs was so frustrating for the team that quarterback Jeff George and wide receiver Tim Brown, a perennial Pro Bowl selection and another outspoken player, began to call their own plays, ignoring Perkins. It was a mutiny, pure and simple, and it didn’t stop when the game ended.” – NY Times, Dec. 14

Tim Brown, 1995 interview:

interviewer: “he’s not a big fan of personnel executive Mike Lombardi. At one point, Brown detoured into a scathing, unsolicited critique about how Lombardi, and not Davis, is the reason people don’t want to play or coach for the Raiders.

A surprised and perplexed Lombardi had no comment.”

Tim Brown, 2013:

Disrespects Marc Trestman’s hire by the Bears by pointing out Trestman gave Jerry Rice a few more targets than Brown back in 2001.

Tim Brown is an attention-you-know-what.

• Priesttj12

I was the one asking for Pryor just to be given a chance but people in here just ripped the kid to shreds for no reason other than one that I can think of.

Now he obvously will be given that chance I suggested he get. Now it’s up to him to put in the work and show that he has improved.

I think the Raiders took the time to watch that film and took into consideration all the odds against him and yet he performed admirably. They have seen the light. That kid is a great leader and competitor. Also he is much better as a passer than anyone wants to admit. In short the kids got serious game and now they know it.

• alex7

This is why we ripped Pryor.

Cam Newton and Russell Wilson had ONE GAME each in their final season with completion % below 55. Just ONE.

Pryor had SEVEN in two seasons. Fugly passer.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

We should draft Jamie Collins. The experts think J Jones is the next V Miller but I’m not sold on the kid. I think Collins is the next V Miller. He was a DB before switching to LB, and he has 40 TFL and 17 sacks the last 2 years.

• Priesttj12

beach Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 10:33 pm
    *************************************
    What theh hell does one black QB have to do with the other if I were to prejudge every freakin white player according the other white player I’d be doing myself and that player a disservice.

That is what’s soo freakin ignorant about you people you think just because he’s black he will do what that other black guy did. It’s the very hieght of racism and bigotry. I have tried to explain that very things to all of you but it goes right over your freakin heads.

• papertiger418

I’m biased towards Pryor because he is Al Davis’ last draft pick and it would be great if he could be successful and mitigate Al’s legacy over the past decade.

Still, I’m not getting my hopes up. We need to see more. The kid should have been put in for the last 3 games of the season so we could get a better idea of how teams would respond to him.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

It doesnt matter if he is a fuggly passer.. if he proves and puts zip on the ball.. and WR are catching it..

or PRYOR is moving the chains. 3/3 in the RZ is nothing to frown out.

Carson could score in the RZ for weeks! But Media writers till gonna say its CARSONS JOB.. blah blah

we wont know till preseason. PRYOR is literally gonna have to take the JOB

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Alex7 Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 10:42 pm

This is why we ripped Pryor.

Pryor had SEVEN in two seasons. Fugly passer.
    —————————
    You can only speak for yourself and sockpuppets Alex. IMO you ripp Pryor because you’re a reactionary bigot.

It’s the one track intensity of the hatred that gives you people away.

• Priesttj12

I could just as easily compare every white QB to Ryan Leaf or every other white BUST that walked into the NFL amd say why should we draft that guy the last one sucked…………it’s freakin STUPID!!!

• alex7

I’m not getting excited about a TD Pryor scored when his special teams blocked a punt and gave him the ball at the 3.

I’m not going to ignore the 12 for 30 passing, his history of similar performances, and his underwhelming mechanics just because we “hope” he can improve by leaps and bounds.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

You people hate

Hue Jackson
    Jason Campbell
    Tyerelle Pryor
    Now, Tim Brown
    Jerry Rice.
    ————————————-
    Of course Shane Lechler will be spared the racist disdain, although he agreed.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Im sure you are gonna ignore the WR with dropped passes too right?

It doesnt matter how Pryor got in the RZ.. he was in the dayum RZ and he scored. He was 3/3 in the Red Zone.

it doesnt matter how he got ..there.. HE WAS THERE and SCORED

• alex7

I see you guys have no evidence to the contrary. Easy win again. Just “hope” because he’s on your team.

————-

Pryor had SEVEN in two seasons. Fugly passer.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Gnite Any Raider Fans out there.

• alex7

RaidersAllDay

Pryor, with dropped passes, was at 43%
    Palmer, with dropped passes, was at 64%

Dropped passes happen every game. We can’t assume they won’t and adjust our evaluation based on that.

And again, he was similarly bad at Ohio State.

• Priesttj12

Next time you look at a player look at his skillset instead of his skin color and you’ll know what he can do instead of what YOU want to think he can do.

No two players are alike that is why you judge each one accordingly. The skin ccolor is coincidental look at his skills and forget what color he is and your comments will reflect that. Instead that bigotted crap spewed on here every minute of the day.

• alex7

Pryor’s SKILL SET

produced SEVEN games of horrible under 55% passing at Ohio State.

Wilson and Cam produced TWO combined. Similar skin color since you keep bringing it up.

• mcfadden20.

Priest kell and Mistic , the reason why people don’t like Pryor is because you guys over hype him too much, you guys are not asking for him to get fair chance, you guys are demanding that The Raiders cut their current starter , and start a work in progress guy and lemme take Tim brown brown “Sabotage” the season , it wouldn’t matter the record we get 0-16 , you guys would make excuses for him left n right like you guys made for every black QB that ever played in the NFL, The most ridiculous one is that Raiders ruined Te Jamarcus Russell’s career , nothing against him , like he lost desire to wake up early and put his ass to work after getting big contract , but obviously nothing will change you guys, we can say we love Pryor n we want him to succeed but the guy is a work in progress n doesn’t deserve starting spot yet , we’ll make a fair assessment , n you can ask the whole nfl world to vote for it, they will tell you that Pryor is not ready yet to start, but obviously you guys will call them racists unless they share the same POVs

• Priesttj12

There’s definitely a double standard in here.
    ***********************************************
    KK you are a better man than me. I can’t for teh life of me understand why the Blog allows that crap. Families should be off limits and so should the racist crap but if they censored that there would be no posters in here.

• beach

Priest, honestly I said skeptical. I am not saying he is the same as the other guys. I mentioned earlier that Pryor deserves the right to compete with Palmer for the position. Just leave it at that.

• alex7

the statisticians being hired by NFL franchises have proven that games started and completion % are the two NCAA traits that matter most when evaluating and projecting a QB into the NFL.

(Gimmicky offenses nullify it, but Pryor was in a standard O so it doesn’t apply here.)

Therefore, Pryor’s high # of terrible accuracy performances against the few decent defenses he faced at Ohio State are a big RED FLAG. He comes out in preseason and his NFL debut and continues the trend.

That’s not even subjective. That’s just what statistically HAPPENED.

• papertiger418

Hey guys!

I seriously just found the craziest thing ever. Check it out:

It’s about the Illuminati symbols in DC. You really have to “appreciate” their research.

• Try Some Reality

I don’t get the hatred for Houdini either. The kid played well for his FIRST START IN THE NFL. It’s as if some of these cats expected him to post a 100 QB rating type of performance.

• mcfadden20.

No point. Arguing with Priest n the gang , you can’t make fair assessments with these guys , obviously I would love to have open competitions between all players and the best man winsx but these guys demand he start , nothing else , we can tell them we’ll all be ecstatic if Pryor becomes good like Kap and Griffn and Wilson and lead us to the glory land , but we doubt he’s ready yet , but these guys will still call us racists

• beach

I am looking at these QBs abilities. Look at what I said. It is unfortunate we do not have RG III or Russell Wilson.

• Priesttj12

How much did you idiots over hype Gradkowski’s sorry ass and Palmer that he was some godsent so we can go 4-12…………..get the hell outta here with that crap

You guys blow more smoke up asses than a carnival barker. Now we overhype Pryor no we have to defend Pryor fom your vicious preconceaved attacks the same as we had to with JC. At least he won game something NONE of your heros hav done so far.

• mcfadden20.

They will call is racists unless we agree with them n demand the management they start Pryor or we will call Reggie racist and call him out for sabotaging his own race

• Gdog

Ohh gee.. its the Pryor Parade. I wonder who started this subject?

No intelligent debate here…

I will check back tomorrow.

• beach

I expected more out of Palmer, but you are unfair to say the 4-12 record rests on his shoulders. We have had absolutely no defense for 10 years! It is still a team game, for crying out loud.

• Rob_raider

KoolKell Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 10:47 pm

You people hate

Hue Jackson
    Jason Campbell
    Tyerelle Pryor
    Now, Tim Brown
    Jerry Rice.
    ————————————-
    Of course Shane Lechler will be spared the racist disdain, although he agreed.
    ———————————-
    No he didn’t.Lechler made it clear Tim Brown was full of it. That Callahan wanted to win as bad as anyone. He also stated to Papa on the radio that the playbook was changed after Robbins didn’t show up.

• oklahomaRaider18

Ya’ll see that JaMarcus Russell is trying to make a Comeback??

• mcfadden20.

People were just happy because there was atleast decent QB on the roster at the time, tey didn’t demand gradkowkk start games and force every kinds ahead things down every bodies throats , like wave of future this n that , like you guys are doing every 5 mins , even though with a pretty good QB on the team , who was a # 1 pick for a reason n cost is 2 high picks to get him, where as JC only cost 4th rounder-for a reason and guess who traded him for 4th rounder, yes that guy who hates Al as much as anybody else in the world , n then he left to go back up somebody , he didn’t even wait couple of days for starting position n you guys hate us for calling it as we see it , lol yah let put every black QB in HOF just to appease these guys SMFH

• Priesttj12

mcfadden20. Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 10:59 pm
    ********************************
    You damn retard what fair assesment have you EVER made…..Oh I get it you praise palmer for losing games. Well if that’s what you mean forget it.

I’m done man I got better things to do.

I’m just glad Reggie came to his senses…………period

• hendu

486, wtf are You talken about? If its qbs,Palmer is our Best…

• ian85

mcfadden20 post 492 well said

• beach

I am for fair competition at every position, including QB. Let’s see how Pryor looks in June and July. No need to get angry about it. You should not use the race card just because somebody does not agree with you.

• Rob_raider

mcfadden20. Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 11:01 pm

———————————
    and you care…because?

• ian85

preistt palmer is starting 2013 get over it by the way pryor is o and 1 as a starter i guess hes a loser to

• mcfadden20.

Beach Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Thank you , but unfortunately for these guys the losses are direct result of who we have at QB (when Palmer ) is starting , even when the D allowed 55 points , but I swear there isn’t an excuse m1st1c didn’t make for every black QB that ever started in this nfl, Cams D was bad last year , our receivers sukk ass , yes he realized in week 17 that our receivers sukk ass , but they were pretty good to him in first 16 weeks , what was the common denominator behind that ? Yeah because black QB was the starter , we know how he would have been proclaiming our receivers pretty good if Palmer was The starter like the rest of those weeks

• alex7

they blame Palmer for losses, when Pryor…also…lost.

They talk about skill set…when Palmer bests Pryor in every important QB skill set.

lol, you can’t talk sense with these people.