Former Raiders WR Rice backs WR Brown’s Super Bowl ‘sabotage’ accusation

Former Raiders wide receiver Jerry Rice just appeared on ESPN’s NFL Live show. During a phone interview, Rice backed fellow former Raiders wide receiver Tim Brown’s accusation that coach Bill Callahan “sabotaged” the Raiders’ chances of winning the Super Bowl against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers by changing the game plan the Friday before the game.
This story just keeps getting stranger by the minute, with numerous players chiming in on the subject. It’s worth noting that Jon Ritchie, the fullback on that team, also feels the same way, while linebacker Bill Romanowski, right offensive tackle Lincoln Kennedy, safety Rod Woodson and quarterback Rich Gannon disagreed with Brown’s seemingly outlandish accusation.
There will be plenty more on this as it unfolds, including any comment from Callahan, who now is with the Dallas Cowboys. Also, beat writer Jerry McDonald is working on a story for later today.
In the interim, here’s what Rice had to say:

Q: Was the game plan changed Friday before the game?
A: “Yes, it did. I was very surprised by that because you work all week long running the football, then all of a sudden on that given Friday, we decided that we were going to come out and throw the ball over 60 times. What Bill Callahan, and what Tim Brown is accusing him of is that, why would you wait until the last second to change the game plan.”

Q: In any way, do you think Callahan tried to sabotage the Raiders’ chances of winning the Super Bowl?
A: “With Tim Brown, he had been with the Raiders longer, and I recall when I first went to the Raiders, for some reason, and I don’t know why, Bill Callahan, he did not like me. He was that type of coach. Some of the things that happened, with him walking off the field during the game, not being happy about certain situations, I was very surprised that he waited until the last second, and a lot of the players, they were surprised also. So, in a way, maybe because he didn’t like the Raiders, he decided that, ‘Hey, look, maybe we should sabotage this a little bit and let Jon Gruden go out and win this one.’ ”

Q: In saying that, you’re saying that Callahan would, perhaps, risk his career to let the Bucs win?
A: “Yeah, I know exactly what I’m saying. This is a discussion that Tim and I had. Being veterans, we know that you don’t wait until the last second to change the game plan. It has a lot to do with the center, too. He was like, ‘You can’t do this to us right now,’ and maybe that was the reason why he ended up going over to Mexico and he was a no show during the Super Bowl.”

Q: So, you think Callahan’s changing the game plan prompted center Barret Robbins to go to Mexico on the Saturday before the game?
A: “Well, without a doubt because, the center is just like a quarterback on the field. He has to get all the calls right. All week long, we worked on a certain defense. Then, on that given Friday, (Callahan) decided to change the game plan to a passing game. With Barret, he was frustrated, he was, like, ‘You cannot do this to us at the last second.’ Maybe that’s the reason why he decided to not show up.”

Q: Have you and Tim Brown confronted Bill Callahan with your stance about him sabotaging the Super Bowl?
A: “We never had the opportunity. But, as a veteran and as a guy that had been around for a long time, you don’t want to question your coach at that time. But we just found that it was very unusual to change everything, when we had Tyrone Wheatley and also Charlie Garner, and we had probably the best fullback in the league with Zack Crockett. So, we had a game plan and all of a sudden you change that game plan. Basically, we didn’t know exactly was going to happen in that Super Bowl.”

Q: Just to clarify, you believe that Callahan potentially and deliberately hurt the Raiders’ chances of winning that Super Bowl?
A: “Well, this is what I’m saying. I just felt it was very unusual. Tim Brown, he was like the guy in Oakland, and if he was suspicious of something like that, I really have to believe Tim Brown because this guy was everything with the Oakland Raiders. He had been there a long, long time and this was a discussion that we had after. I just found it to be very unusual because you want to go into that situation knowing exactly what you want to do, how you want to approach that defensive opponent, and we changed everything that Friday.”

Steve Corkran

• dr_robert

Pryor’s mom: “It’s okay baby. I thought u did good sugar. U scored those Tds didn’t u? Those other kids can throw for more yards and throw a better ball and complete more passes. But ur special. And if they can’t see that, then they don’t deserve u.”

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Dr_robert Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Debo–I want to be clear. U don’t care what a player DOES on the field. That means nothing to u when forming an opinion. U simply look at the score and whoever the winning qb is, is the best.

Yep. Housewife.
    ————————–
    What’s with the “housewife slam? I know plenty smarter than you………………

• dr_robert

JFB–dilfer won them a Super Bowl. I suppose he was great.

• Try Some Reality

LOL!

• RaiderDebo

Dr_robert Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Yep. Housewife.

@@@@@@@@@@@@

I look at what a QB does AND WHEN he does it. Palmer comes up small when he’s needed far too often. His teams have been 4-12 two of the last three seasons. Getting pretty hard not to link him up with those records, especially when his new team got worse, and his old team got infinitely better. You seriously need to see someone about this Palmer worship problem you have.

• dr_robert

Kell–I’m smarter than anyone u have ever met. Ever heard of. Ever hoped to meet. I’m the Terrell Pryor of smartness. Worship me.

• Just Fire Baby

Meaningless Week 17 games are the worst thing for fan bases.

How you get talked into Scott Mitchell for big bucks, Joe Aska as your starting RB, and thinking Billy Joe Hobert is the future at QB.

TP may or may not be that guy, but what he did against San Diego only puts his game on film for teams next year.

He will have to be MASSIVELY better in the future to even be considered a starting NFL QB.

• Rob_raider

CDERaider Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Callahan’s a punk. Worst super bowl coaching ever. Running the ball down their throats was the right approach – to change it last minute is unacceptable.

=====================
    We got to the SB because Gannon kicked butt all year passing. I think we led the league in passing, where rushing was in bottom third.

Gannon’s 5 picks was the difference

• Try Some Reality

Just Fire Baby Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 6:07 pm
    JFB–playoffs decide who the stars and good players are. Spoken like a true housewife.

**************************

So how many playoff wins did this “great” Ravens team have the previous 7 years? One?? LMAO

Written by a typical tool who puts Dr in front of their name when they are probably a dental assistant.

Your own biggest fan are we?

=========================================

Yes, Hack Robert likes him some him.

• Just Fire Baby

JFB–dilfer won them a Super Bowl. I suppose he was great.

***************************

That was maybe the greatest defense in NFL history, certainly one of the few.

And they only won one playoff game the next 7 years.

Flacco isn’t playing with that type of defense these days. They got to outshoot a lot of teams like the Denver game.

• ESETERIK78

dr_robert Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Pretty sure at least three or four of u are pryor’s mom.

————————

Pretty sure you’re Hue Jackson. Because nobody else on the planet would spend as much time trying to convince people that Carson Palmer is a great QB.

• Just Fire Baby

**************************

Couldn’t agree more.

• dr_robert

Debo–I don’t live Palmer. He’s average-to-good at this point. He’s basically flacco on a bad team. But I see things objectively and intelligently. I understand that stats measure performance. I also know a good passer when I see one. He occasionally forces things and can be reckless. I blame that on him knowing he has to do it all if its gonna get done. I actually feel he’s a smart, savvy, tough competitor. He deserves support from fans.

• Just Fire Baby

Damn that Cowboy DT killed his teammate, and then Ratliff, another DT, goes and gets a DUI.

Never understood the indifference to DUI’s for players by fans.

That crap is killing people!!!

• dr_robert

Try some–yeah. I’m pretty cool.

• dr_robert

Eseterik–never said he was great. But he doesn’t suck. And too many stooges are trying that line.

• Just Fire Baby

Carson Palmer = Antwan Jamison

Above average stats on last placed teams.

Gets punked when playing good team.

• dr_robert

I wish their was a way to have two raiders teams.

• Just Fire Baby

Since we are on the 10 and then philosophy, I hope Reggie creative in trading down, maybe even with our #3 overall, and isn’t afraid to stack some picks next year.

I would love to be go into next years draft with a 1, Two 2′s, a 3 and Two 4′s.

• r8eray

So if we have a 1st,2nd and 3rd this is who I would draft in that scenario.

1st- Bjoern Werner

2nd- Zach Ertz or John Jenkins

3rd- Kyle Long or Tyrann Mathieu

• dr_robert

Debo–congrats! U have now reached “Shemp” status.

We already have Mo (missdick), Larry (priest), and Curly (Kell). And now Shemp.

And it’s perfect for such numbers-challenged guys to have four guys in the Three Stooges.

• Rob_raider

Just Fire Baby Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 6:07 pm

**************************

—-
    Rob will tell you the dr part is a joke.
    He posted it before

• Just Fire Baby

I like John Jenkins, but seems he is doing everything possible the last two months to plummet his draft stock.

Ineligible for the bowl game and then weighed in at 359 pounds for the Senior Bowl.

I think the 2nd might be a tad early for him.

• RaiderDebo

Dr_robert Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 7:41 pm
    Debo–congrats! U have now reached “Shemp” status.

We already have Mo (missdick), Larry (priest), and Curly (Kell). And now Shemp.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Lol! Pretty goofy, but I have to admit I laughed.

• Try Some Reality

Just Fire Baby Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 7:40 pm

I would love to be go into next years draft with a 1, Two 2’s, a 3 and Two 4’s.

=====================================

Couldn’t agree more and was hoping for the same (stockpiling picks to the ’14 draft)

• freezetag168

This whole Brown/Callahan is old news and it’s getting legs NOW???

I remembered on this blog during the KIFFIN days (yes, been here THAT LONG) someone posted a youtube video of Brown telling the exact same story. Why now?

If Brown is lying or exaggerating, that makes no sense. Why reiterate this story NOW especially when the Pro Bowl balloting is like less than two weeks away? To stay relevant name-wise for the ballot voters? Did he not take notes after Bonds, McGwire, Sosa?

Notice a pattern here? The only denials coming forward are those players who are part of the NFL media. Why would Rice come forward and risk his reputation? I guess the question is what former 02 team member NOT on the booth currently has denied the account?

Funny, 9ers first appearance to the Super Bowl in 17 years, and the Raiders are taking up the airwaves this week. Heck even HOF SB MVP Jerry Rice is being questioned about THE RAIDERS! It doesn’t make up for 4-12, but it’s funny enough to take SOME sting off. Mr Davis must be shaking things up from beyond to stay in the headlines.

• http://raidahs.com Mr Green
  • backstageatapuppetshow

The ONLY hope this organization has of turning this TEAM around lies in the HANDS of MARK DAVIS….

He has to THINK for HIMSELF and make decisions based on that THOUGHT PROCESS….

Not the decisions of those who ARE PAID….

Those who are PAID are ONLY LOYAL to the MONEY….not the TRUTH!

This TEAM will CONTINUE to FAIL if they FOLLOW the NFL and its Habits and WAYS OF THINKING….

This team MUST set the bar….INSTEAD….for years now….we have been doing nothing but FOLLOW it…

• dr_robert

I am a doctor. The same as Dr. Pepper, Dr. J, Dr. Dre, and Dr. Detroit are doctors.

You really should google my handle.

“He’s a new and better man,
    He helps u to understand,
    He does everything he can,
    Doctor Robert!”

• r8eray

I don’t know Vegas…he was a projected 1st rounder. I really don’t see him sitting there in the 3rd or later rounds!

If we pass on Star in the 1st I’m sure we’ll address our run stuffer in a later round. A must.

• morilla

Mr Green Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Start the gallery.

————————-

You get a pretty good advantage doing that, up close and personal look at the players.

• dr_robert

Debo–well u show a sense of humor. U really need to help ur fellow stooges to have the same. Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk. Wise guy, eh? Spread out knuckleheads!

• dr_robert

I’m not a doctor, but I play one on a message board.

• dr_robert

Well I’m about to go see zero dark thirty.

• Al_is_theraiders

is shrek back at dennys?

• The Big Banana

Al_is_theraiders Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 8:15 pm
    is shrek back at dennys?

—–

I actually did LOL at this. I love this blog.

• madraiderfan

Wow!!!!!!!!! We always make the news for the wrong reasons!!!!!!! I can’t wait until we turned this thing around and become a great organization. I’m tired of being the butt of all NFL jokes.

• The Big Banana

I can’t wait until we turned this thing around and become a great organization.

—–

Check back in 9 years.

• Missus Beeecham

YO DUDES

missus beeecham aint droppin deuces any more on the floors of department stores or supermarkets. tired of doin time in the poky, tho i do like the big women there. but i still like to lay a deuce down anytime. like when i found out the niners were goin to the super bowl, i layed a deuce on the sidewalk. holla is back with me. she is a good deucer. we aint got nuthin to hide.

KEEP THE WIZZLE FO SCHIZZLE

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

shutdown Says:
    Sounds like Timmy has a “hate-on” for Callahan and his rise in Dallas. Doesn’t Timmy live in Texas and follow the Cowboys?
    ====================================================

Timmy’s been saying this since at least 2005. Media is just now making it a story. That’s the most interesting part,imo.

• The Big Banana

Until then…would you join me and other fellow Nation members in blacking out the Super Bowl? Wear your Raider in the days leading up to, but especially on Super Bowl Sunday.

• The Big Banana

*Raider gear

• Al_is_theraiders

“Before his time with the Jaguars, he(olson) had been the offensive coordinator for three seasons in Tampa, two seasons in St Louis, and one season in Detroit. Only once during that time did he command an offense that wasn’t among the worst in the NFL. So, again, where is the interest?”-levi damien

• Missus Beeecham

dr_robert Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 8:09 pm
    I’m not a doctor, but I play one on a message board.

………………………………………….

YO DOCTAH

my irritable bowel syndrome gets worked up and i get testy with my honey. what do you do when your bowel movements get irritable? constipation is a b1tch. i need to learn to be testy less with holla. you get constipated?

HOLLA. WHUT WHUT

• freezetag168

Funny that someone mentioned that Callahan’s favorite team is the Donks cause his son is currently on the coaching staff.

• Al_is_theraiders

“When you really look at it, and you talk to people around the National Football League, he’s highly respected with everybody that I talked to,” Allen said.

well…that explains it…dont look at results listen to other peoples opinion…

• The Big Banana

Al, 393. It’s all part of Reggie’s grand plan. Stink it up again next year while appeasing the fans a little (back to the PBS). High draft picks again. A 3rd year with more of the same, then we hire some real coaches. If there is enough of a mutiny by the fans, maybe even bring in Chuckie.

• beach

Just Fire Baby Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 7:23 pm
    Ravens were 5-11 the year before Flacco arrived, hadn’t won a playoff game in 7 years.

Isn’t that a meaningful statisical note?
    —————————————
    I’ve got the best one. Flacco and Ravens have knocked off Luck, Manning, and Brady. 3 in a row. 49ers nver won 3 in a row in the regular season. The wrong team is favored. I like the Ravens to win 27-20.

• beach

Also, 8 TDs and 0 INTs in those 3 games. Yet, all you hear about is how great Kaepernick is. He was great vs. Chicago and Green Bay, but just better than average in other games, and awful vs. St. Louis and Seattle.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

The Big Banana Says:
    —————
    The Big Banana Says:
    *Raider gear
    ===================================

I was trying to remember where I put my Raider.