Former Raiders WR Rice backs WR Brown’s Super Bowl ‘sabotage’ accusation

By Steve Corkran
Tuesday, January 22nd, 2013 at 2:12 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Former Raiders wide receiver Jerry Rice just appeared on ESPN’s NFL Live show. During a phone interview, Rice backed fellow former Raiders wide receiver Tim Brown’s accusation that coach Bill Callahan “sabotaged” the Raiders’ chances of winning the Super Bowl against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers by changing the game plan the Friday before the game.
This story just keeps getting stranger by the minute, with numerous players chiming in on the subject. It’s worth noting that Jon Ritchie, the fullback on that team, also feels the same way, while linebacker Bill Romanowski, right offensive tackle Lincoln Kennedy, safety Rod Woodson and quarterback Rich Gannon disagreed with Brown’s seemingly outlandish accusation.
There will be plenty more on this as it unfolds, including any comment from Callahan, who now is with the Dallas Cowboys. Also, beat writer Jerry McDonald is working on a story for later today.
In the interim, here’s what Rice had to say:

Q: Was the game plan changed Friday before the game?
A: “Yes, it did. I was very surprised by that because you work all week long running the football, then all of a sudden on that given Friday, we decided that we were going to come out and throw the ball over 60 times. What Bill Callahan, and what Tim Brown is accusing him of is that, why would you wait until the last second to change the game plan.”

Q: In any way, do you think Callahan tried to sabotage the Raiders’ chances of winning the Super Bowl?
A: “With Tim Brown, he had been with the Raiders longer, and I recall when I first went to the Raiders, for some reason, and I don’t know why, Bill Callahan, he did not like me. He was that type of coach. Some of the things that happened, with him walking off the field during the game, not being happy about certain situations, I was very surprised that he waited until the last second, and a lot of the players, they were surprised also. So, in a way, maybe because he didn’t like the Raiders, he decided that, ‘Hey, look, maybe we should sabotage this a little bit and let Jon Gruden go out and win this one.’ ”

Q: In saying that, you’re saying that Callahan would, perhaps, risk his career to let the Bucs win?
A: “Yeah, I know exactly what I’m saying. This is a discussion that Tim and I had. Being veterans, we know that you don’t wait until the last second to change the game plan. It has a lot to do with the center, too. He was like, ‘You can’t do this to us right now,’ and maybe that was the reason why he ended up going over to Mexico and he was a no show during the Super Bowl.”

Q: So, you think Callahan’s changing the game plan prompted center Barret Robbins to go to Mexico on the Saturday before the game?
A: “Well, without a doubt because, the center is just like a quarterback on the field. He has to get all the calls right. All week long, we worked on a certain defense. Then, on that given Friday, (Callahan) decided to change the game plan to a passing game. With Barret, he was frustrated, he was, like, ‘You cannot do this to us at the last second.’ Maybe that’s the reason why he decided to not show up.”

Q: Have you and Tim Brown confronted Bill Callahan with your stance about him sabotaging the Super Bowl?
A: “We never had the opportunity. But, as a veteran and as a guy that had been around for a long time, you don’t want to question your coach at that time. But we just found that it was very unusual to change everything, when we had Tyrone Wheatley and also Charlie Garner, and we had probably the best fullback in the league with Zack Crockett. So, we had a game plan and all of a sudden you change that game plan. Basically, we didn’t know exactly was going to happen in that Super Bowl.”

Q: Just to clarify, you believe that Callahan potentially and deliberately hurt the Raiders’ chances of winning that Super Bowl?
A: “Well, this is what I’m saying. I just felt it was very unusual. Tim Brown, he was like the guy in Oakland, and if he was suspicious of something like that, I really have to believe Tim Brown because this guy was everything with the Oakland Raiders. He had been there a long, long time and this was a discussion that we had after. I just found it to be very unusual because you want to go into that situation knowing exactly what you want to do, how you want to approach that defensive opponent, and we changed everything that Friday.”

• The Big Banana

Purvis and I have just accidentally coined the next big blog saying…

Put your Raider!

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Where is Omoran? Or what is Omoran?

• Priesttj12

DJ Johnny Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 6:54 pm
    U guys don’t get what i’m saying.

IF…Pryor were to prove himself a better passer than Palmer…than we are set imo.

WILL HE?

Also, Priest, Debo and Mistic are all the same person.

Just so you know.
    *************************
    Boy that is news to me…..lol

• backstageatapuppetshow

Al_is_theraiders Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 8:33 pm

“When you really look at it, and you talk to people around the National Football League, he’s highly respected with everybody that I talked to,” Allen said.

well…that explains it…dont look at results listen to other peoples opinion…
    ________________________________________________________

• backstageatapuppetshow

The ignorance that resides amongst the football side of the organization is astounding….

A group of loyal fans paid minimum wage could arguably run the football side of the building as well as what we’ve seen the last year…

• backstageatapuppetshow
  • Priesttj12

Boy these Palmer guys tune is changing faster than a babies dirty diaper. This is funny stuff we haven’t even been to a minicamp and already they’re ashcanning their hero.

I thought there would at least be a fight when Training camp opens but I guess they have just lost heart for it.

It’s a simple case of reading writing on the wall. This is not gonna be a contest once camp opens. Pryor and his work ethic all offseason and his obvious skillset threatens the masses.

Even Reggie having fielded calls from all over the league for Pryor’s services came to realize maybe what he has on his hands is much more valuable than he ever thought. Watching Kappy’s magic has suade so many to look for a unigue athletic freakishly talented QB to be the face of the franchise. After all look what Kappy who mirrors Pryor’s talent has done for his franchise so maybe Palmer once was the darling of every NFL teams desires but times have changed and it’s wise to see if TP time is the right wave to ride.

I admit I was very concerned that Reggie would allow someone with a few picks to come and steal our future away. But thanks to Reggie common sense does reign at 1220 Harbor Bay Parkway.

Gooo Raiidderzz!!

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Priesttj12 Says:
    =====================================================

Fear not, priest. I am resolute in my Golden Haired Hero Worship and will be the first to congratulate you on Pryor sneaking into the back up spot.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

I have hopes for Pryor, have since Al drafted him. I see the big, tall, gifted athlete you see. I hope to see the QB you’re mostly imagining.

• Tumble Weed

Howdy folks. I’m new here. Been a big Raider fan for many years. Longer than some of y’all been outta diapers. Maybe even longer than some of y’all been peein on your own. Any who, when ever I wanna watch Raider ball on tv I got to come down here to the local tavern. You know I can score me some cooter too when I do. We like to get drunk on some beer and I always wind up with two or three cooters wantin to come home with me. That’s all good but sometimes the stank can get a little rank from all that cooter, specially when I go and drop a deuce and all those beer faarts, word. Well y’all keep the sizzle in the wizzle. Holla.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Forgot the really fast part. I like that, too.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Tumble Weed, you broke up the continuity of my posts for that?

• Al_is_theraiders

its funny how newbies feel like they have to say theyre new…no one believes it bro…cmon….

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Anybody that thought of the Raiders thought about a physical, intimidating, fast football team. And I still see those things.
    —Greg Olson

• I Got A Gut Feeling That Rumbles

I’m changing my handle to IGAG (I Got A Gut Feeling That Rumbles). To many people have stolen my old handle, Oakglen. So from now on anything from Oakglen is a fake. You’ll know it wasn’t from me. I am IGAG now, so I would appreciate that you would respect that. I am Oakglen and you’re not.

GGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    RRAAIIIDDERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRS

• DJ Johnny

Priesttj12 Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 8:57 pm
    DJ Johnny Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 6:54 pm
    U guys don’t get what i’m saying.

IF…Pryor were to prove himself a better passer than Palmer…than we are set imo.

WILL HE?

Also, Priest, Debo and Mistic are all the same person.

Just so you know.
    *************************
    Boy that is news to me…..lol

Yeah “lol”.

Whoever is posting as priest on this thread is the same person posting as Mistic for sure. But you know this already.

Your cadence gives you away. I don’t know if u hacked his handle or what, but I don’t remember Priest being this much of a dik. I liked him.

Unless this is Priest finally showing your true racist colors and finally couldn’t hold it in anymore.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

SBreport‏@SBreport

Reggie McKenzie: Terrelle Pryor will have the opportunity to compete for starting quarterback.

———————–

Here here.. here here.. Read it ppl.. RAIDERS GM SPEAKS..

haha told ya’ll

• I Got A Gut Feeling That Rumbles

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 9:50 pm
    —Greg Olson

————

Wow. How profound. Sounds like a little sack stroking but complimentary fo sho.
    IGAG

• beach

405. Do not kid yourself. The last 10 years!

• I Got A Gut Feeling That Rumbles

Any bets on the north vs south senior bowl game? Can Allen pull it out?
    IGAG

• DJ Johnny

Priesttj12 Says:

C’mon. This is EXACTLY something Mistic would say. Word for word.

I couldn’t be more obvious, and responding with a “whatever” or “lol” does not change anything.

Cross posting instigators here to cause discord and promote their psychotic obsessive fantasies.

• beach

As if things were not bad enough as an Oakland fan in the Bay Area. The Giants just won 2 of 3 World Series, the 49ers are in the Super Bowl, and now the Raiders are crying that the Head Coach lost the Super Bowl 10 years ago on purpose. What a freakin’ fiasco!

• Al_is_theraiders

except thats not what olson said…he said “i still see some of those things…”

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

SiriusXM NFL Radio‏@SiriusXMNFL

#RAIDERS GM Reggie McKenzie told @alexmarvez & @15miller on LH that Terrelle Pryor will have a chance to start in 2013 http://bit.ly/Xx1Zqo

Alex Marvez‏@alexmarvez

#Raiders GM Reggie McKenzie just told us on @SiriusXMNFL that Terrelle Pryor will have chance to compete for starting job in 2013

———————————–

In case you guys need further proof. Have been saying in since week 15. Give the kid a dayum chance. Let him work. Lets go.

• http://www.AmyTraskshouldbeonmountrushmore.com Whats a Drexl?

The Big Banana Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Until then…would you join me and other fellow Nation members in blacking out the Super Bowl? Wear your Raider in the days leading up to, but especially on Super Bowl Sunday.
    =====================
    I’ll dust off the #63 Robbins home jersey and parade about on SB Sunday.

• beach

Not sure how they do it, DJ Johnny. I saw last night that somebody was able to use my handle. Very bizarre behavior by some, indeed.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Players we should target:
    NT: J Hankins (if we trade down)
    DE/ OLB: D Moore
    DE/ OLB: B Jenkins
    DE: D Jones
    OLB: J Jones
    OLB: J Collins
    MLB: Andrew Jackson
    CB: D Milliner
    CB: Xavier Rhodes
    CB: D Amerson
    CB: D Trufant
    CB: J Poyer

• I Got A Gut Feeling That Rumbles

Al_is_theraiders Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 9:59 pm
    except thats not what olson said…he said “i still see some of those things…”
    ——-
    Maybe there was a maybe in there.
    IGAG

• DJ Johnny

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 9:54 pm
    SBreport‏@SBreport

———————–

Here here.. here here.. Read it ppl.. RAIDERS GM SPEAKS..

haha told ya’ll

C’mon man. Do u think the board is entirely divided between Pryor fans and Palmer fans?

There are some (like myself) that are happy there’s a competition. No need to promote division and discord.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

DJ Johnny Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 9:58 pm
    Priesttj12 Says:

C’mon. This is EXACTLY something Mistic would say. Word for word.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Obvious?! lol
    He is not Mistic.

• beach

Jerry Rice trying to analyze the actions of a mentally unstable Barrett Robbins is pretty disgraceful, in my opinion. Talking about Callahan is one thing, but Rice has no idea what made the guy lose his mind. I feel for the person B. Robbins, but I cannot ever forgive the football player. That was the most terrible feeling as a fan attending a Super Bowl and watching your team lose.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Steve Corkran‏@CorkOnTheNFL

“@RawSports365: Reggie said Pyror will get chance to compete for starting job @CorkOnTheNFL so writers can kick rocks pal lol” — He should.

———————

lol even cork changed his tune. Around week 15 he had us believing.. Pryor couldnt even get them in a huddle. LMAO

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

——————

nah man.. not u.. ur good ppl.. some other guys around here.. thought we were on something to suggest PRYOR is a legit qb prospect.

• beach

And Tim Brown is not as big a man as he thinks he is by coming out 10 years later and still griping about not winning a Super Bowl. Blaming the Head Coach for the entire defeat is asenine!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

DJ,

BHP aka Priesttj met a young poster and gave him tickets/ gear a few years back.

• backstageatapuppetshow

Why is it called the Rooney Rule when Al Davis was the first to hire minority coaches?

• DJ Johnny

Raider O Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 10:09 pm
    DJ,

I’m suggesting his handle was hacked. These posts don’t sound like him.

I’m getting tired of not knowing who i’m talking to anymore.

• http://www.Raiders.com KoolKell

Beach Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 10:08 pm

——————————
    He was there, you weren’t, why don’t you take a chill pill?

• beach

Pryor deserves to fight for Palmer’s job in 2013. That is called healthy competition. Let’s focus on every other position in the draft, mainly defensive end and right tackle.

• Al_is_theraiders

i point out he said some..because that implies reggie got rid of one of those things…either size, speed, strength or talent….

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

Ok.. guys I know we suck on defense.. But I have hard time believing that we can pass up on a OT like Eric Fisher out of Central Michigan.

The guy is an Animal .. a better version then Joe Staley according to Mayock. Watching him in practice at senior bowl u see why

• beach

I pay money to support this team, do you? The whole story is a stain on the Oakland Raiders, who are the laughingstock of the NFL.

• papertiger418

Looks like Callahan has taken this about as well as can be expected…

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

DJ Johnny Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 10:14 pm
    Raider O Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 10:09 pm
    DJ,

I’m suggesting his handle was hacked. These posts don’t sound like him.

I’m getting tired of not knowing who i’m talking to anymore.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

1/2 the people here are not real. Who cares? Enjoy the show.

• beach

441. Is this kid a # 3 selection?

• DJ Johnny

RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 10:07 pm

——————

I hear ya. My feeling is I hope Pryor beats him out in a fair competition cuz IF he does than we have something serious cuz Palmers ability to throw a good ball has never been in question. His decision making…another subject. So if Pryor beats him out it will show he is throwing good passes and has improved in that regard and now we have a dual threat.

I’m all good for that.

• RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit

————————–

Guess what?? The raiders have been that.. might as well embrace it.. till they get back to the playoffs.. if they ever will

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Backstageatapuppetshow Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 10:14 pm

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I agree.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Beach Says:
    January 22nd, 2013 at 10:18 pm
    441. Is this kid a # 3 selection?
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Top 10.

• DJ Johnny

444, O, Only half are not real? Lol. I’m going 90% are not real, and there’s maybe a small percentage that is not certifiably nuts.