1,392

Allen on NFL Network

A transcript of Raiders coach Dennis Allen on NFL Network A.M as provided by the NFL Network:

On coaching at the Senior Bowl:

“It’s fun. It gives us a great opportunity to get a chance to know these guys, not only to get to know them on the football field but it also gives us an opportunity to see what they’re like behind the scenes. That’s the specific advantage that we get in being able to coach these guys throughout the week.”

On where the Raiders need to improve the most:

“We’ve got a lot of areas that we have to improve on. Specifically, we have to really work to improve some things defensively to give us an opportunity to play defense the way that we want to be able to play defense. There are some pieces in place. Obviously this year we’re not quite as a hamstrung with the draft picks and the salary cap, so we’re going to have a little more flexibility to make a few more moves and do a few more things to help us from a personnel standpoint with our team.”

On quarterbacks Carson Palmer and Terrelle Pryor:

“We’re going to have some competition at that position. Carson Palmer did an outstanding job for us last year. We feel really good about Carson at the quarterback position moving forward, and obviously we want to create competition at all levels of our team; offensively, defensively, in the kicking game. The more competition that you can create, the better your football team is going to be. We’re going to look at that as we’re moving forward, but I feel good about Carson. Terrelle did some nice things in the final game of the season last year, so it’ll be interesting to see how he does as we move forward.”

On the reaction from the Raiders organization regarding Tim Brown’s comments about Bill Callahan:

“We’ve been down here in Mobile and I don’t know that I’ve gotten a real sense from the whole organization exactly what the feel is there. I know this: that was a long time ago. I wasn’t here or a part of the organization, so it’s really hard for me to really speak on that and that situation.”

On the hiring of Tony Sparano:

“He’s an outstanding football coach, first and foremost. I’ve got some really close friends in football that speak very highly of Tony Sparano, and really when I got a chance to watching, the thing that most impressed me about his time in Dallas, about his time there in Miami is that he always had some tough football teams. That’s the thing that I think he can bring to our team, to our offense, is a sense of toughness. As well as a guy who’s been through it; he’s been a head coach in this league, he’s been a coordinator so there are experiences that he can help us all through.”

On if linebacker Rolando McClain has a future with the Raiders:

“Right now he’s part of the football team. He’s on our roster. We’ll let that play out as the offseason goes on.”

On hiring Greg Olson as offensive coordinator:

“Greg is an outstanding football coach, he’s a great football mind. Again, when you go through and you talk to the people within the National Football League and guys that I respect, he was a name that continued to come up to me. When we went through the interview process, I was highly impressed with him and just his thoughts and his philosophies about how he wants to operate the offense and thinking about really trying to fit our offensive scheme to doing some of the things that our playmakers do the best. That’s something that I look forward to.”

On how Greg Olson’s offensive schemes will incorporate Raiders running back Darren McFadden:

“That’s one of the things that we’re going to look at when we get back to Oakland is we’re really going to look at the things that Darren McFadden does really well and we’re going to try to ask him to do those things as much as possible, limit the times that we ask him to do some of the things that he may not be as good at. All of us as players have strengths and weaknesses, and we want to try to play to our best players’ strengths as much as possible.”

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Just Fire Baby

We had Jacoby Ford this year, how did that work out?

• DJ Johnny

Two yr’s ago it was OUR Jacoby who was returning kicks for td’s.

My koolaid says he returns to form in 2013.

• J Hill

Jones made a play on an under thrown ball and turned it into 6.

Took another score back on the kickoff.

Flacco MVP?????

• DJ Johnny

You guys are too fast for me. Lol. By the time I posted my Jacoby Ford thought 2 other guys already made it.

• morilla

Just Fire Baby Says:

February 3rd, 2013 at 8:29 pm
    We had Jacoby Ford this year, how did that work out?

———–

What’s the word with Coby? You think we keep him are cut him loose?

• DJ Johnny

1351,

Jacoby got injured. Hopefully he stays healthy in 2013.

• J Hill

Nevermind the part where the Oline was dominant and had the Ravens up 28-3, eh?

Two 1st rd picks at OT = way to get it done

• Dakota

O-line held the 49ers to 2 sacks in 30+ pass attempts….no, they had nothing to do with the victory lol.

• DJ Johnny

Seasons over.

The good news?

We have the same record as everyone else in the league right now.

We’re tied for 1st in the AFC West.

Onward and upward.

• morilla

Zymurge Says:
    February 3rd, 2013 at 8:27 pm
    Just Fire Baby Says:
    February 3rd, 2013 at 8:23 pm
    49ers safeties are massively overrated.

They can lay the lumber, but can’t cover over the top.

=====

Their entire secondary is overrated. They are a product of a good pass rush and having teams in must pass situations early in the 2nd half. Put them in position where they have to guess run or pass, and they look pretty mediocre. Boldin made the CBs look foolish, just taking away balls at will. Even Smith had a couple of those, and he’s not the beast Boldin is.

All the more reason that the Raiders need to go interior line early and get the best pass rusher from inside available. When you have that force, your ends look way more effective, and then your secondary suddenly has more freedom to make plays on rushed throws. Especially when playing against today’s wave of the future QBs that lack the passing skillz

________________________________

Yup, need a strong interior push to disrupt the pocket. People don’t realize how important that is.It helps everyone on the field. The ends and DBs benefit.

• morilla

Dakota Says:
    February 3rd, 2013 at 8:33 pm

———————

Their O-line played excellent.

• Just Fire Baby

Two 1st rd picks at OT

**************************

They didn’t draft draft McKinnie.

I am all for picking up a former top 10 pick for $3.5 a year.

How do you think Minny is feeling about wasting a top 10 pick on him right now?

• dr_robert

Jfb–I smell a honey badger crush. Debo/missdick style “nothing can change my mind, I love him regardless of what anyone could ever say”.

Ford was hurt this year and that means he will never return?

• Just Fire Baby

A sack every 15 attempts would put you in the bottom of the NFL.

3rd and a few inches, with the season on the line, what did they do?

Threw it 20 yards down the field to Boldin.

• papertiger418

Joe Flacco just made a lot of $ today.

• Dakota

J Hill Says:
    February 3rd, 2013 at 8:29 pm
    Jones made a play on an under thrown ball and turned it into 6.

Took another score back on the kickoff.

Flacco MVP?????
    +++++

That was my initial reaction too….but Flacco made a lot of clutch 3rd down throws throughout the game. One of those weird games where so many things contributed to the win that the QB gets it by default since he was solid.

• J Hill

How do you think Minny is feeling about wasting a top 10 pick on him right now?

——————————————————————————-

So bad, they did it again and got a pro bowler, lol.

• Just Fire Baby

Jfb–I smell a honey badger crush.

*************************

I had a crush on Javier Arenas two years ago, Honey Badger this year.

We NEED an elite KR, a 3rd round pick is nothing for the type of potential impact they could make.

• morilla

Zymurge Says:
    February 3rd, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Great game. And it’s the beginning of the end of the read option as well. Go watch the footage and see what the Ravens were doing. Exactly what I said teams will start doing: the man being read (who realizes this when he is unblocked) just goes and hits the QB every time.

++++++++++++++++++++++

Again, yup. All you have to do is light them up. And it’s legal too. Read option is dead. Ended tonight. Yes, you’ll still see it succeed here and there. But it’s not a style that has staying power. It’s a fad, just like the wildcat.

• Just Fire Baby

So bad, they did it again and got a pro bowler, lol.

*****************************

Kalil’s Pro Bowl is a bit iffy, but yes they made the same mistake again.

• dr_robert

The wave of the future didn’t last very long.

• dr_robert

Jacoby ford is an elite KR. Do u not know this?

• Dakota

Just Fire Baby Says:
    February 3rd, 2013 at 8:38 pm
    Jfb–I smell a honey badger crush.

*************************

I had a crush on Javier Arenas two years ago, Honey Badger this year.

+++++++++++++

He is such a drug addict that even an SEC team eventually had to dump him. What good is a suspended kick returner going to do us?

7th rounder at best.

• J Hill

3rd and a few inches, with the season on the line, what did they do?

Threw it 20 yards down the field to Boldin.

——————————————————————

As a check once Flacco saw both ILBs about to blitz the middle.

They ran the ball in 90% of their 3rd and short situations.

• morilla

Someone was saying that the Ravens were looking at letting Boldin go. Is this true?

• Just Fire Baby

Jacoby ford is an elite KR. Do u not know this?

***************************

Debatable, and he doesn’t return punts

• mcfadden20.

BOLDIN IS A FREAKIN BEAST, DUDE IS JUST IN ANOTHER PLANET

• mcfadden20.

nobody heRe EITHER

• mcfadden20.

PUT YOUR PANTS<

• Dakota

morilla Says:
    February 3rd, 2013 at 8:49 pm
    +++++

Flacco is a free agent and they are over the cap. There was talk about them letting Jones and/or Boldin go.

I doubt either of them would pick up the phone if the Raiders called.

• J Hill

I doubt either of them would pick up the phone if the Raiders called.

———————————————————————-

So you don’t think they are fond of Palmer, eh?

• Dakota

J Hill Says:
    February 3rd, 2013 at 8:57 pm
    I doubt either of them would pick up the phone if the Raiders called.

———————————————————————-

So you don’t think they are fond of Palmer, eh?
    ++++++++++++

Not fond of loser teams.

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNoi_wwzbtQ Zymurge

Flacco MVP?????
    +++++

====

Go find one game winning Super Bowl QB that threw for 3 TDs that didn’t win MVP.

Didn’t hurt that he turned the ball over zero times either. He also completed 67% and 287 yards, distributing to 7 different receivers, as well as calling a good game with run adjustments. At least 3 of his incompletions that I recall were very smart throwaways after scrambling out of sack situations.

The guy played a fantastic game against a very good defense. Pretty solid MVP case from my perspective.

• morilla

Cool to see Reed get his dues. I can”t believe he might be playing for a different team next year.

Glad it turned into a game. Though the power going out was somewhat fishy. Dawn thy tinfoil hats.

• Gdog

J Hill Says:
    February 3rd, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Nevermind the part where the Oline was dominant and had the Ravens up 28-3, eh?

Two 1st rd picks at OT = way to get it done

>>>>

Someone here gets it!

• Twinkle

1Nation #1
    ***************************************** Gdog Says:
    February 3rd, 2013 at 9:35 pm

J Hill Says:
    February 3rd, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Nevermind the part where the Oline was dominant and had the Ravens up 28-3, eh?

Two 1st rd picks at OT = way to get it done

>>>>

Someone here gets it!
    *************************************
    Fuking canucks………….Why in hell does it take a fuking foreiner to tell everyone the fuking obvious!!

• Twinkle

It is this simple……We have a QB and a big one.TP just keep learning……We need to keep him off the fuking floor.

• Twinkle

Anyone remember Shell….Otto….Upshaw…..how hard is this sh!t……………….listen idiots….our QB flat on his back is in no way capible of helping us.
    Taiwan has found his niche…..couldn’t hold the bloody thing anyway.

• Twinkle

AD is a moron in the same style as ratface…..nothing coming out of Denver is worth a ratsarse.Elway could have been a Raider…..instead he is a side issue…..dude could have been everything…..noodle arm Montana takes his place….fuk Boelin and his used cars.
    Don’t fuk up the QB situation Reggie….let the kid learn from a Master.

• Twinkle

I love having this sh!t for myself…………….Call yourselves Raider fans…….I love my fuking team….but I sure don’t place a lot in McKenzie or AD.
    I’m used to AL…..he kicked some serious arse right or wrong….a mans man……going forward will be tough….
    They don’t make em like that anymore…..I gotta sit here and read about some idiot’s bowel movement’s.Or some racists attacks on aforementioned idiots.Fuk all y’all…..we are Raider fans first and foremost…
    There…..vented……..Don’t ever forget……WE ARE THE OAKLAND RAIDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Twinkle

Since it’s all me……………I may as well enjoy myself…..This defensive genius who lost control of his D’Line won a whole 4 games…..jesus h christ I could have managed that…….worthless…..but gets his contract renewed…..Al is spinning in his grave.My Thanks to you Mr Seymour…you played your guts out and to you Tom Kelly….Raiders through and through sorry you had to play out your string on such a worthless clueless team…..You are Raiders while most of your fans are not……Loved watching the pair of you kick arse.

• Pingback: NFL News: Darrelle Revis Already Gone from New York? - Stripe Hype