1,045

Seymour decision haunting Raiders

General manager Reggie McKenzie inherited a Raiders roster, he said, with “out-of-whack” contracts last season. As a result, he made a series of drastic moves designed to bring the situation under control.
Of note, he waived No. 1 cornerback Stanford Routt and linebacker Kamerion Wimbley soon after he was hired. Several other moves, including restructuring numerous contracts, helped the Raiders free up enough salary-cap space so that the Raiders could sign a handful of new players.
However, the one move McKenzie didn’t make is coming home to roost. McKenzie opted to keep aging defensive tackle Richard Seymour for one more season. As it turned out, Seymour played only eight games and didn’t have anywhere near the desired impact.
His biggest impact is going to be on this year’s salary cap, with Seymour counting for almost $14 million in so-called “dead money.” Put another way, almost one-eighth of their $121 million salary cap in 2013 is going to come from Seymour’s voided contract.
The Raiders would have been better off absorbing the blow of severing ties with Seymour last season, when it was apparent that they needed to deal with the contracts McKenzie considered out of whack.
As it stands, the Raiders are right up against the projected cap for 2013, with room needed in the coming days to re-sign some of their prospective free agents, other teams’ free agents and their 2013 draft picks.
Fortunately for McKenzie and the Raiders, there are a few viable options to get to where they need to be.
The obvious targets cutting or restructuring the contracts of wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey and defensive tackle Tommy Kelly. Cutting these two veterans would free up $10 million in cap space.
They could net more than $9 million more by cutting quarterback Carson Palmer, a risky move, and turning over the keys to the offense to third-year quarterback Terrelle Pryor or a veteran signed in free agency.
The more likely scenario involves restrructuring Palmer’s contract, as they did last offseason, so that it’s more cap friendly in 2013. The Raiders simply can’t afford to have Seymour and Palmer eat up approximately one-fourth of their cap space in 2013.
Beyond that, there’s not much else McKenzie can do this season, except to cut other veterans that free up a million here and a million there.
On the bright side, McKenzie is making strides toward getting the salary cap more in the Raiders favor. He can keep it that way by avoiding contracts such as the one given Seymour and made worse by keeping him around too long.

Steve Corkran

• morilla

I say we start Pryor and tank the season for Clowney.

• NGRaiderfan

234.dr_robert Says:
    February 12th, 2013 at 4:53 pm
    Ngraider–their football IQ is demonstrated by what they post. As I said, football ignorant.

And ur doing it. Talking about a “qb going such and such record” is ignorant. Quarterbacks don’t have records. Teams do. When a team goes 4-12, u look to see which players are good and which are the problem. U get rid of the POOR PLAYERS and add good ones. U KEEP the good ones.

Fact: 4k passers are GOOD PLAYERS. Not even arguable for those with brains.

===========================

Tommy Kelly isn’t a bad player, but they are still cutting him. we might have a viable replacement for him, given we can actually resign bryant AND bring someone else in because we are losing two DT and MAYBE bringing back 1

Kam Wimbley wasn’t a bad player, he was one of our best players, our only pass rusher. we definitely did not have a vable replacement for him

stanford routt wasn’t a bad player, he was our best corner. we OBVIOUSLy didn’t have a viable replacement for him

Huff isn’t a bad player, he was our best db this year, especially after the switch to CB.

these are all players that have been cut or are reported to possibly be cut. It’s because all though they were good, some of our better players, because their production doesn’t match the money they are gonna make. a qb is DIRECTLY responsible for offensive production, he is supposed to get the right play in, read the defense, and score points. in a qb driven league, your qb has to be able to find ways to put points on the board. you can throw as many yds as you want, but if you aren’t scoring pts it doesn’t matter. furthermore, the qb is responsible for taking care of the ball unless someone else fumbles. 22 tds to 14 ints and 5 lost qb fumbles is a horrible stat, that is no way worthy of 15 mil a yr for a qb, that is almost a TO for every TD.

leading a team that is 30th in the nfl in red zone scoring percentage (and thats including pryors 3/3, which actually brings the % up)
    …is not worth 15 mil. that means that yea you could throw for a lot of yards between the 20s but couldn’t do jack sh!t once you got there, which makes those yds weak as hell.

leading an offense to 26th in scoring in the nfl is not worth 15 mil.

when your (essentially) rookie backup comes in and improves on your offenses points per game avg. 3rd down efficiency, and red zone scoring % AND has a higher qbr than you, in one game, and he costs 700k, you are not worth 15 mil

u say the reasons for hating on palmer are idiotic…those numbers i just threw out are not idiotic, those are real stats, and i dont even think hes a bad qb, but those are facts, cold hard facts.

I already know what you’re gonna say “o the chargers weren’t playing for anything so those stats don’t count” thats so dumb. you have yet to show me any evidence to the contrary all u say is 4k yds passing and win loss doesnt count on a qb…

heres something for you, of the 6 teams that had a worse offense than us this yr in terms of scoring

- 1 (miami) had a rookie qb

- 1 (philly) had a qb w/ an out of whack contract similar to palmer and that qb significantly restructured, or he would have been cut

- 4 (AZ, KC, Jax, NYJ) are looking for new qbs

Also, the 3 teams that avg. less TDs per game than us (KC, JAX, AZ) are ALL looking for new qbs

stats are not football ignorant.

Individual statistic don’t mean anything if they don’t help the team (o my bad, qb’s shouldnt be responsible for the team) the offense score points.

no palmer is not a bad qb, but he isn’t worth 15 mil, if you think he is u r just flat out ignorant.

• 1960AutumnWind

Morilla

I never want to see the Raiders tank. It is not the Raider way. We (even when we were bad) always tried to win and beat the odds. I do not think I can bear another 2006 season.

• DKnight007

845.guest123 Says:
    February 13th, 2013 at 11:11 am
    Last year I was optimistic because we finally had Carson Palmer and Darren McFadden on the field at the same time. I also expected DHB to continue on an upward ascent from his almost 1000 yard season. And Denarius Moore was a young budding star. We had the pieces in place to be a very good offensive team and remember we were good the year before.

Yes we lost some key free agents, but the nucleus was there to make a playoff run. I wasn’t just sipping the kool-aid. It wasn’t a super bowl team but it should have been competitive for the division.

Another source of hope was the firing of Bresnahan and defensive coaches Tarver and Allen. I figured that they couldn’t be any worse than Bresh. Boy was I wrong!

Discounting my pessimism from jump street on Knapp. I assumed the offense was going to continue scoring and maybe even improve given the new CP3/DMC tandem.

I drank the koolaid. I thought this team was better. I never for a second thought we had a talent issue, even with the cap and late draft picks.

^^^^^^^^^^
    Thats what happens when you change coaches and systems inexplicably on the players.

Regression.

• guest123

Plan for a six or seven win season in 2013 with Reggie and DA finishing their four year deals.
    Maybe we challenge for a playoff spot in 2014.

*********

sorry I can’t think like that. that’s like your girl telling you that 3rd base is as far as you gonna go and end up with blue balls. not fun. gotta be the whole enchilada or nada.

• DKnight007

The more and more I think about it with Seymour and Kelly gone and who knows if Bryant gets resigned, (which he should get resigned) IMO.

The Raiders pick will be DT/NT Star or a trade down…..

• nycraider

1960AutumnWind Says:
    February 13th, 2013 at 11:13 am
    NCRaider

So you wanted to Franchise Branch!? LOL. Our cap situation would have caused us to cut other players. The deal that Seymour struck (it is my understanding) gave us cap relief in 2012 at the expense of later years because we just could not sustain his number in 2012 and field a team.

Agreed on Briesel (did not like that move), did not like keeping Seymour (I would have rather just got it over with (but then you guys would have really been howling). Knapp hire sucked and keeping him past bye week loss when offense looked terrible with all excuses removed was dumb. I agree the guy made mistakes but what if he did dump Symour and did not sign Briesell. How many extra games would that buy? Even if he had a power offense how many extra would that buy? I do not think it would have made us 8-8 but it would have put us in better shape now.

Not saying the guy is perfect or awesome but sure better than the management we had from 94-2011 with the exception of Allen when he was Asst GM and Grudent was coach.
    —————————–
    Not a big branch fan, but thats a different topic. my point is Reggie had many challenges, but he’s done nothing to earn my confidence. My biggest issue with reggie as a talent evaluator is he said in July we could compete for the playoffs and then in week 10 acts like we have been rebuilding. Then you look at his decisions on the guys mentioned above and his actions will hurt us in 2013. Without Branch, Seymour, Brisel our 2012 record would be the same yet our 2013 cap is severely hurt by theses guys.
    i agree that Reggie deserves another year to prove himself, but i respectfully disagree that he has done anything to earn anyone’s confidence. He has alot to prove in 2013

• Al_is_theraiders

855…great analogy!

• DKnight007

855.guest123 Says:
    February 13th, 2013 at 11:18 am
    Maybe we challenge for a playoff spot in 2014.

*********

^^^^^^^^^
    LMAO….exactly!

• inonewordraider

The Raiders pick will be DT/NT Star
    ______________
    that’d be great news!

• The_Judge37

856. Even if they draft a DT, they should still resign Bryant. He’s good and DT’s don’t last all game long anyways. It’s good to have a rotation.

• 1960AutumnWind

NYC raider

Who says CP3 is worth 15 million? I actually wrote a post yesturday saying he should take a pay reduction like Vick and at least be on par with Aaron Rogers for crine out loud. I do not agree however that we should just cut him without trying to do this. If we do cut him we will have to bring someone in and that 9.7 million in cap savings will look like 4 million so think before you cut. If we just go with Pryor then RM and DA are as dumb as some of you make them out to be.

• 1960AutumnWind

I am on record as saying if CP3 does not take a pay reduction then he should be cut. Why? because his high cap number is preventing us from resigning people like Bryant and Wheeler.

• REALLIONAIREB

The offense was set back by the ppl in charge trying to fix something that wasn’t broke!!!

• guest123

863. I agree and I think CP3 will survey the market and adjust his price to what his true price is and it will also matter if he wants to stay in California. But I think he renegotiates. And when the new contract is inked and dry, we can finally move on from the blog incited “QB controversy”

lol

• R8ER MIKE

hwnrdr Says:
    February 13th, 2013 at 11:12 am
    R8ER MIKE Says:
    February 13th, 2013 at 10:53 am
    aloha Hwnrdr !!
    how the he11 are you today ??

What’s up Ray? Doing good…beautiful day outside in NorCal! What about you?

**************
    ?? whos Ray ?? lol lol
    doing fine here too sir. nice sunny day
    here in s.m.i.b. ville !!!

• DKnight007

860.inonewordraider Says:
    February 13th, 2013 at 11:22 am
    The Raiders pick will be DT/NT Star
    ______________
    that’d be great news!

^^^^^^^^^
    Yeah, it’s looking more and more like DT/NT Star will be the pick if he is there at #3 or McK will trade down.

Seymour and Kelly are gone and Houston will be moved inside. An instant starter will be needed.

Bryant status is still up in the air, he should be resigned though.

• The_Judge37

863.1960AutumnWind Says:
    February 13th, 2013 at 11:23 am
    —–

Problem is if you do that, then we have a huge hole at QB instead of LB and DT.

• guest123

What fan goes into the season thinking, ok my team is going to start 3-3, lose a couple, win one, etc.. and end up 7-9 and all the while I never got my hopes up for the postseason?

Isn’t that what fans do? Get hyped for a postseason run? Otherwise following each and every Sunday is just jerking ourselves off, right? What’s the friggen point without hope to compete for the playoffs?

We are the Raiders, a proud franchise with a history that loser teams dont have. No one should try to sell you on being the other team. Don’t buy it.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

832.hwnrdr Says:
    February 13th, 2013 at 10:52 am
    Ok, JC goes down, we had to watch Boller stink it up the next week! We had Trent Edwards on the roster, but cut him loose and decided to stick with Kyle. Whether or not Edwards was better is irrelevant at this point, but whose fault was it that our lone back up to JC was Boller?
    __________________________________________________
    DutchRaider77 Says:
    MISTIC!
    kidding, but when many of us were compaining about Boller as the backup he said that Boller was fine as the backup to JC.
    ========================================
    hwnrdr Says:
    I remember… :)
    ============================================================

This can’t be true! Miss Tick has foreseen the top QB’s from their freshman year in college on, some earlier.
    More importantly, he is infallible when predicting failed QB’s.
    Must be revisionist history.

• nycraider

1960AutumnWind Says:
    February 13th, 2013 at 11:23 am
    ——————
    so after cutting seymour and palmer they would eat up 20-25% of the cap..would be tough to swallow considering Reggie could have eliminated seymour last year

• DKnight007

864.REALLIONAIREB Says:
    February 13th, 2013 at 11:27 am

^^^^^^^^^^
    Yep!

A major screw up!

• poprox13

You guys talking about 5 years? Remember……….

10 and then……….

• The_Judge37

CP may rework his deal but i doubt it’ll be for less money, just maybe prolong the cap hit again.

How many of you are willing to walk into your bosses office and say, “You know i just blog all day, no way i deserve as much money as i make”

• guest123

^^^^^

ouch!

• R8ER MIKE

guest123 Says:
    February 13th, 2013 at 11:38 am

^^^^^

ouch!

*************
    lol .. i dont have to .. his desk is right next to mine !!!

• hwnrdr

R8ER MIKE Says:
    February 13th, 2013 at 11:29 am
    hwnrdr Says:
    February 13th, 2013 at 11:12 am
    R8ER MIKE Says:
    February 13th, 2013 at 10:53 am
    aloha Hwnrdr !!
    how the he11 are you today ??

What’s up Ray? Doing good…beautiful day outside in NorCal! What about you?

**************
    ?? whos Ray ?? lol lol
    doing fine here too sir. nice sunny day
    here in s.m.i.b. ville !!!

LOL…sorry Mike…long day!
    What’s up brother?

• inonewordraider

DKnight007 Says:
    February 13th, 2013 at 11:33 am
    864.REALLIONAIREB Says:
    February 13th, 2013 at 11:27 am

^^^^^^^^^^
    Yep!

A major screw up!
    ______________
    wanna know what’ll b even more screwed up? going power blocking for dmac then he get’s injured and/ or is gone after next year as a free agent and we go back to zbs!

• DJ Johnny

1960AutumnWind Says:
    February 13th, 2013 at 11:23 am

Palmer WILL be as flexible as the Raiders need him to be. Didn’t he say he doesn’t even need the money? On the other hand he doesn’t wanna come off as some desperate lamer who’ll work for anything.

If Palmer doesn’t do that, then I was wrong about him.

He wants to win. If I believed he wasn’t concerned about winning and just wanted a paycheck then i’d be on the “can Palmer” side of things and wishing him good riddance.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

?? whos Ray ??

I figured it was short for R8ER.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

I got to say it again.
    We’re probably all making something out of nothing.
    If the possibility of Palmer playing well and the Raiders sucking nonetheless, especially with the Knapp hiring,
    didn’t occur to the two sides crafting the restructure last year, then Palmers agent is an idiot, as is Reggie. The language should already be there, or at least an understanding.
    Palmer’s agent may not have been privy to the Raiders other
    contract and cap issues, but if Reggie didn’t foresee the situation he’d be in this year, maybe GM is of more concern than QB.
    If you don’t think Palmer played well, that’s another story.
    I do.

I am a sinner who’s probably gonna sin again
    Lord forgive me, Lord forgive me
    Things I don’t understand
    Sometimes I need to be alone
    Btch don’t kill my vibe, btch don’t kill my vibe
    I can feel your energy from two planets away
    I got my drink, I got my music
    I would share it but today I’m yelling
    Btch don’t kill my vibe, btch don’t kill my vibe
    Btch don’t kill my vibe, btch don’t kill my vibe

• The_Judge37

If Palmer takes a paycut i’ll give him a lot of respect, because he really shouldn’t have to.

R8ER MIKE<————-you better REDNECKONIZE!

Palmer is a quitter…how can anyone respect him?

• R8ER MIKE

lol lol B@Uceman !!
    you know it sir !!

• R8ER MIKE

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    February 13th, 2013 at 11:52 am
    ?? whos Ray ??

I figured it was short for R8ER.

*************
    been called many things but Ray sure aint one of em !!!

• The_Judge37

885.Follow the B@uceman Says:
    February 13th, 2013 at 11:57 am
    Palmer is a quitter…how can anyone respect him?
    ——

Because wtf do i care about what he did to the Bengals? Now Randy Moss is another story.

• R8ER MIKE

REDNECKONIZE!
    **************
    i like it B@uce. think i am going to have to use this !! giving you full credit of course !! lol lol

• guest123

Ahh, ya doesn’t has to call me Johnson! You can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, or you can call me Johnny or you can call me Sonny, or you can call me RayJay, or you can call me RJ… but ya doesn’t hafta call me Johnson

• R8ER MIKE

lol Guest, now you are reaching waaayyyy back !!

R8ER MIKE Says:
    February 13th, 2013 at 12:02 pm
    REDNECKONIZE!
    **************
    ****************

I keep it real…I saw some fat ass lil girl say it on TV one time….my lady was watch that Talk Soup show and they played a clip and I was crackin the fk up….but I actually been waiting til we were on blog at same time so I can shoot that to ya

When ya coming to a game so you can show us westcoast people how to take down some BREW?

The_Judge37 Says:
    February 13th, 2013 at 12:02 pm
    885.Follow the B@uceman Says:
    February 13th, 2013 at 11:57 am
    Palmer is a quitter…how can anyone respect him?
    ——

************************

You really think that has nada to do with him now? Force of nature aka God or whatever you wanna call it wont reward that schit…see Randy Moss….See Terrell Owens….See Pick Six Palmer

You dont quit on your guys when you’re the face of franchise…..he dissed those guys because his whole life he wanted an easy ride and couldnt lead a team to a yard sale in his own front yard

• R8ER MIKE

Will get out that way one of these days sir !!
    i will show ya how to pound beers and you can hook
    a brother up with some of that fine a$$ west coast
    greenery !!

• Gdog

Follow the B@uceman Says:
    February 13th, 2013 at 12:07 pm

The_Judge37 Says:
    February 13th, 2013 at 12:02 pm
    885.Follow the B@uceman Says:
    February 13th, 2013 at 11:57 am
    Palmer is a quitter…how can anyone respect him?
    ——

************************

>>>>

One word: Prozac.

You wear me out. Your posts are as enjoyable as a bleach enema.

• Al_is_theraiders

draft mingo…if reggie pulls that off he might start making a positive difference..,

• 1960AutumnWind

DJ Johnny Says:
    February 13th, 2013 at 11:51 am
    1960AutumnWind Says:
    February 13th, 2013 at 11:23 am

If Palmer doesn’t do that, then I was wrong about him.

****************************************
    Basically what I was saying yesturday is come down from 13 million to 9 million that gives us 4 million in cap savings which would be similar to what we would actually save if we sign someone like Moore to replace him. I think Palmer is better than Moore or Campbell which I think is the alternative here (Pryor worshipers not withstanding). I think Palmer will not fetch 13 million on the Market and I think 9 millon is a fair number.

• Gdog

guest123 Says:
    February 13th, 2013 at 11:11 am

>>>>>

It wasn’t a talent issue last year, it was a coaching issue. They turned the keys of the ENTIRE OFFENSE over to abject idiot narcissist. It was doomed from the beginning.

This has been addressed.

• Al_is_theraiders

if he puts some weight on.,,

• 1960AutumnWind

Since Palmer throws an average number of Pic Sixes I think we need to call all QBs Pic six [Insert Name]

Pic Six Brees, Pic Six Brady, Pic Six Manning wow this is so orginal isn’t it!