It’s all ‘downhill’ for Raiders rushing attack

By Steve Corkran
Wednesday, February 13th, 2013 at 11:57 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Here’s a story from beat writer Jerry McDonald about Raiders first-year offensive coordinator Greg Olson talking about how he intends to use running back Darren McFadden next season:

In an uphill climb toward respectability, the Raiders direction will be decidedly downhill.

Offensive coordinator Greg Olson made it clear Wednesday during a meet-and-greet with local media that his plans for running back Darren McFadden will include the kind of gap and power blocking schemes that made him one of the NFL’s most explosive running backs in 2010 and 2011.

McFadden fell to a career-low 3.3 yards per carry in 2012 under the zone scheme runs favored by offensive coordinator Greg Knapp, who was fired after the season.

“I’m not naive enough to believe it’s all Greg Knapp’s fault,” Olson said. “Certainly there are some things I hope I can bring to the table that will allow us to have

Oakland Raiders’ Darren McFadden (20) runs against the Kansas City Chiefs in the first quarter at the O.co Coliseum in Oakland, Calif. on Sunday, Dec. 16, 2012. (Nhat V. Meyer/Staff) success.”

Olson becomes the Raiders’ third offensive coordinator in three seasons. Head coach Hue Jackson served as the play-caller in 2011, but Knapp was hired after general manager Reggie McKenzie fired Jackson.

The Olson offense will look a lot more like the one Jackson installed as offensive coordinator in 2010.

“Coming in a year ago, they made a switch to a zone system,” Olson said. “I don’t know if you ever want to pigeonhole yourself that way and say, ‘That’s what we do.’ You may not be able to do that based on the players you have.”

Regarding McFadden, Olson said, “Maybe a year ago, they weren’t sure about that zone scheme. Now, after a year of having to look at it, maybe he is a downhill runner. So we’ll get back to some of the gap schemes and things he does well.”

Olson is also intrigued by fullback Marcel Reece. He sees Reece as versatile enough to be a third-down back and operate in a single-back offense and as a player to utilize for favorable matchups.

“I was pleasantly surprised watching the tape to see that in a lot of the downhill lead plays where you need a fullback in there, he wasn’t a big thumper type but he did go willingly and block some of those linebackers,” Olson said.

• MEX_GHOST

bcz24 Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 10:18 am
    My bad, Bacon is great….I am thinking more along the lines of pork chops and pork tenderloin. All the parasites in it….I have to see that crap burned through in order to stomach it.

Bacon is clearly cooked through and it still tastes great.
    ********
    LoL. Cook a pork chop to 165 degrees and all the parasites (if there were any to begin with) will be gone. Chicken/poultry is FAR more dangerous than today’s pork. Trichinosis (the most common associate parasite with pig) has almost completely been eradicated from the US, with only and average of 11 cases a year being reported, with a majority of those cases actually being traced to eating wild animals (bears, foxes etc) rather than pigs.
    —————————————
    Yes, I think the Trichinosis boom was in the 80´s.

• Just Fire Baby

I am thinking TK will be packaged very much like Kirk MOrrison was, where we use him and say a 5th rounder to get a 4th rounder.

Basically a chip to move up 20 or so picks in the mid round.

You think we could give him, our 3rd rounder and a 6th rounder, for New Englands late 1st?

Just Fire Baby Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 11:03 am
    I’m reading D Moore in some circles is considered more of a mid 1st rounder.
    **************************

That’s tragic is Raiders follow that and pass up on him for a loser like Werner or a 3-4 olb like Mingo

• Just Fire Baby

Houston will need to add all that weight he lost back on if he is going inside.

Seems like he played well last year whatever he was playing, I would rather build on that than start moving parts around AGAIN.

Just Fire Baby Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 11:06 am

Basically a chip to move up 20 or so picks in the mid round.

**********************

HAHA no one wants to trade for loser Tommy Kelly

• Just Fire Baby

Geno or Milner at #3, is the way I read it.

At least at this stage, plenty of draft fodder in the months ahead to change that.

Just Fire Baby Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 11:07 am
    Houston will need to add all that weight he lost back on if he is going inside.

**********************

Wow leave it up to be Vegas to be satisfied with no pass rush from the edges lol….and you guys wonder why we still stinkin it up. DEs need to be some sort of threat rushing the QB….Houston aint quick enough…..inside he would be better suited….I think he is a bordeline pro bowl UT

Houston is 6’3 305…..how much weight does a UT need to add?

• MEX_GHOST

I had a friend in the HS with Trichinosis and we named him Trichy Trichy. Well, he started naming him self that way. That´s why i remember it was in the 80´s.

Just Fire Baby Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 11:08 am
    Geno or Milner at #3, is the way I read it.

******************************

So you saying we will blow another draft…..yeah great moves by Raiders if this is the case

• theghostronin79

I really like the idea of trading down TWICE in the 1st round. We could be in position to pick up Dion Jordan in the 1st, grab Short from Purdue in the 2nd, and get Meshak Williams in the later rounds…..

That could be solid.

All three of those guys are just under the cusp of “IMPACT” status…. Not scrubs at all.

Or spend our #3 on a hopeful “IMPACT” guy and then wait till the 3rd.

Theghostronin79 Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 11:17 am

That could be solid.

Or spend our #3 on a hopeful “IMPACT” guy and then wait till the 3rd.
    ******************

If we could fleece someone in a trade down….im all for it…Moore is my fav guy at 3 but to get a 2nd in this draft would be ideal…..Rams wants OL help in worse way….if Joeckel is there at 3 you think they give up something?

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Just Fire Baby Says:

Wish we would have grabbed Red Bryant whatever year he was in the draft.

Dude changes a few games a year simply on blocking kicks.
    ====================================================

New wave Hendricks?

Look at what SD got from Franklin and what Baltimore got from Kemoeatu.

those guys signed 1-year vet minimum contracts, didn’t they?

Reggie has to be trying to do the same… go cheap and get production

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

MEX_GHOST Says:
    Yes, I think the Trichinosis boom was in the 80´s.
    ====================================================

Dam. I missed another boom?

I remember last month proposing trading the number 3 pick tot the Rams for both of their first rounders….some said that wouldnt hold but according to draft value chart…I’m not off at all

3rd pick in draft value is 2000 points….do you know what equals that for the Rams picks?

both of their first and a 3rd

If they really want Joeckel or maybe even the Fisher kid so bad at Tackle why not do it Reggie you fkin dummy

RaiderRockstar Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 11:25 am
    Look at what SD got from Franklin and what Baltimore got from Kemoeatu.

those guys signed 1-year vet minimum contracts, didn’t they?

Reggie has to be trying to do the same… go cheap and get production
    *****************

you cant get that from knighton, hill or branchas run stuffer?

• hwnrdr

1215.Follow the B@uceman Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 11:29 am

both of their first and a 3rd

I mentioned this one earlier B, but I heard somewhere that Jerry Jones wants our #3

• NGRaiderfan

1215.Follow the B@uceman Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 11:29 am

both of their first and a 3rd

=============================

what would it say if we traded our 1st and our 3rd for their two firsts and a second? probably not gona happen huh? hahaha i wish it would tho that would pretty much be a perfect scenario

• inonewordraider

star was the focus of opposing defenses and they couldn’t stop him, constant double coverage.

Houston Star Bryant is a heckuva line in the 3-4 add the best pass rushing olb in the 3rd and we’re on to something

• Dakota

The asteroid missed us…..guess this means I better get back to work.

Hwnrdr Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 11:32 am
    1215.Follow the B@uceman Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 11:29 am

both of their first and a 3rd

*********************

Great minds think alike! You are a Sag just like me….you have your Filipina woman in order just like me….so no shock your football mind is at work

• theghostronin79

Jerry Jones huh?

He’s a great candidate for the “Fleecing”

“Give ‘em whutever Thay Wawnt. Just git me that numba 3 you Sum Bich’z…. Gitter DONE.

• DJ Johnny

Inonewordraider Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 11:35 am

Do we keep McClain then? Put him in the position he had success with at Ala. in the 3/4 behind a stout line?

Considering it’s gonna cost alot just to cut or release him and see if we can get anything positive outta him?

• hwnrdr

I wonder who or what Jerry is willing to give us though?

NGRaiderfan Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 11:34 am
    1215.Follow the B@uceman Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 11:29 am

both of their first and a 3rd

=============================

***************************

Actually…..the 3rd pick is 2200…i think I said 2000 earlier

So 16th pick is 1000
    22nd pick is 780
    46th pick is 440

That comes to 2220

If Rams saw guy they felt could put them into playoff convo they may bite….Joeckel would be their preferred guy

Hwnrdr Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 11:46 am
    I wonder who or what Jerry is willing to give us though?
    *********************

Would have to this year’s first for sure and maybe next year’s as well or a player added to it to balance out

• NGRaiderfan

Actually…..the 3rd pick is 2200…i think I said 2000 earlier

So 16th pick is 1000
    22nd pick is 780
    46th pick is 440

That comes to 2220

=============================

So just hope the chiefs don’t get foles from Philly, or any other qb in FA, and draft Geno Smith.. probably best case scenario

The asteroid missed us…..guess this means I better get back to work.

***

the next ones are headed for Michigan & Illinois!!

NGRaiderfan Says:

So 16th pick is 1000
    22nd pick is 780
    46th pick is 440

That comes to 2220

=============================

*****************************

Yeah very much true about Foles to KC. But still do you know of Andy Reid will take a OT so high. I’ve never seen him draft a tackle in first round…..first time for everything maybe

• NGRaiderfan

1226.Follow the B@uceman Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 11:51 am
    Hwnrdr Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 11:46 am
    I wonder who or what Jerry is willing to give us though?
    *********************

==============================

for dallas to move from 18 to 3 the would probably have to give up 2 first rounders and at least one second rounder, probably more…thats a big jump.

when atlanta jumped from 27th to 6th they gave up 5 picks a 1st,2nd,4th in that years draft and a 1st and 4th rnd pick in the next yrs draft

when washington traded up from 6th to 2nd they gave up a kings ransom 3 first rnd picks (2012,2013,2014) and a 2nd round pick in that same draft.

I could see us getting something similar to this depending on the jump a team wants to take.

Honestly I see the Chiefs trading out of number 1 spot

NGRaiderfan Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 11:59 am
    1226.Follow the B@uceman Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 11:51 am
    Hwnrdr Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 11:46 am
    I wonder who or what Jerry is willing to give us though?
    *********************

==============================

********************

And if thats the plan then let’s go for it. I got a host of players who I see in mid rounds that can help us big time

• NGRaiderfan

1232.Follow the B@uceman Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 12:02 pm
    NGRaiderfan Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 11:59 am
    1226.Follow the B@uceman Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 11:51 am
    Hwnrdr Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 11:46 am
    I wonder who or what Jerry is willing to give us though?
    *********************

==============================

********************

===================================

and having two first rounders next yr would be pretty nice also if it were possible

• RockyMountainRaider

Come back home Charles!

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Draft value chart is a good guideline to check and see if you’re about to do something stupid. You may decide to do it anyway. Doesn’t force anybody to trade with you. Nothing is worth more than what you can get for it.

It’d be mighty interesting if, based on the value chart, everybody got to force,say, three trades the week before the draft. Round robin.

• HayesDaze37

It’s a great day to be a Raiders fan. Isn’t it?!

Charles Woodson vs Matt Giordano ?

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 12:06 pm

**************************

We gotta keep all options on table

HayesDaze37 Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 12:08 pm
    It’s a great day to be a Raiders fan. Isn’t it?!

Charles Woodson vs Matt Giordano ?
    **********************

LOL Hayes…..he’s hilarious

Yeah such a matchup eh?

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Meant to post this a couple days ago. Very interesting.
    Almost to in depth, but worth skimming.

An alternative approach to draft slot value
    By NinjaGoro on Feb 9, 7:11a