It’s all ‘downhill’ for Raiders rushing attack

By Steve Corkran
Wednesday, February 13th, 2013 at 11:57 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Here’s a story from beat writer Jerry McDonald about Raiders first-year offensive coordinator Greg Olson talking about how he intends to use running back Darren McFadden next season:

In an uphill climb toward respectability, the Raiders direction will be decidedly downhill.

Offensive coordinator Greg Olson made it clear Wednesday during a meet-and-greet with local media that his plans for running back Darren McFadden will include the kind of gap and power blocking schemes that made him one of the NFL’s most explosive running backs in 2010 and 2011.

McFadden fell to a career-low 3.3 yards per carry in 2012 under the zone scheme runs favored by offensive coordinator Greg Knapp, who was fired after the season.

“I’m not naive enough to believe it’s all Greg Knapp’s fault,” Olson said. “Certainly there are some things I hope I can bring to the table that will allow us to have

Oakland Raiders’ Darren McFadden (20) runs against the Kansas City Chiefs in the first quarter at the O.co Coliseum in Oakland, Calif. on Sunday, Dec. 16, 2012. (Nhat V. Meyer/Staff) success.”

Olson becomes the Raiders’ third offensive coordinator in three seasons. Head coach Hue Jackson served as the play-caller in 2011, but Knapp was hired after general manager Reggie McKenzie fired Jackson.

The Olson offense will look a lot more like the one Jackson installed as offensive coordinator in 2010.

“Coming in a year ago, they made a switch to a zone system,” Olson said. “I don’t know if you ever want to pigeonhole yourself that way and say, ‘That’s what we do.’ You may not be able to do that based on the players you have.”

Regarding McFadden, Olson said, “Maybe a year ago, they weren’t sure about that zone scheme. Now, after a year of having to look at it, maybe he is a downhill runner. So we’ll get back to some of the gap schemes and things he does well.”

Olson is also intrigued by fullback Marcel Reece. He sees Reece as versatile enough to be a third-down back and operate in a single-back offense and as a player to utilize for favorable matchups.

“I was pleasantly surprised watching the tape to see that in a lot of the downhill lead plays where you need a fullback in there, he wasn’t a big thumper type but he did go willingly and block some of those linebackers,” Olson said.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 8:44 am
    DutchRaider77 Says:
    I forget, why does Raider O call you “white Devil” again?
    ===================================================

Ran out of monkey adjectives.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Never!!

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Good morning, O.
    Good morning, Nation.

• DutchRaider77

Is there any countdown clock for the asteroid?

• theghostronin79

Yeah Chris, I really like Meshak Williams….ALOT…. But I’m betting he’s gone before the 7th

• hwnrdr

1046.Raider O Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 8:42 am
    The world is going to end.
    Burn as many trees as you can!!!!

Good morning Nation and Green Party.
    Good day Mr. ODB.

I know right?

• SR Raider

DutchRaider77 Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 8:47 am
    Is there any countdown clock for the asteroid?
    =========

Noon ET: NASA plans to start streaming near-real-time imagery of the asteroid’s flyby, as provided by telescopes in Australia and Europe, weather permitting. Watch JPL video on Ustream.

• theghostronin79

During the Fiesta Bowl, all I kept hearing was Meshak Williams, Meshak Williams, Meshak Williams….

The dude was all over the place. Like a 1 man show, making plays all night on Oregon. I was getting sick of that dude (I’m an Oregon fan). I’d be stoked to draft him though.

• hwnrdr

GB releasing C Wood!

JFB.. do you have a job? You post like 400 times here seemingly 24 hours a day.

***

looks like Gdog ran out of material. this is the first sign of defeat.

change the subject, insult & make it personal

basically saying “hey JFB, you’re right about Carson Palmer … but i’m gonna keep fighting rather than admit I was wrong!”

• Dakota

1054.DutchRaider77 Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 8:47 am
    Is there any countdown clock for the asteroid?

++++++++++

When the asteroid 2012 DA14 makes its closest pass to Earth – projected to happen at 2:24 p.m. EST Friday

About an hour and a half from now.

• J Hill

Should I wait until 1 more asteroid hits before I start going into doomsday mode?

Or should I round up he fam now and start heading aimlessly towards nowhere?

• Just Fire Baby

What are you going to do RRS?

BTW, what does having a job have to do with things? I would think having a job and posting a lot is better than not having a job and posting.

• Dakota

Scratch that….2.5 hours from now….my math sucks as bad as the guys at NASA.

• R8ER MIKE

Mr. V.P…
    good morning sir !!
    i get out of work in 25 minutes and will start
    a forest fire !!!

2013DVAG20 will do a flyby of Alameda next fall but gravity and an excess of estrogen will pull him toward the IR. Again.

• SR Raider

Man that asteroid is hauling a$$. Might be difficult to dodge

• R8ER MIKE

Dakota Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 9:02 am
    Scratch that….2.5 hours from now….my math sucks as bad as the guys at NASA.

*************
    ?? but the east coast is 3 hours ahead of you,
    does that mean i missed it by a 1/2 hour ???
    lol lol

DVAG = patent pending, btw.

• Dakota

1062.J Hill Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 8:59 am

Or should I round up he fam now and start heading aimlessly towards nowhere?
    ++++++++++++++++++

What was the story they told in Mall Rats? Something like an airplane was about to crash, so everyone grabbed their stuff and started rubbing one last one out…..but then the airplane righted itself and landed.

I recommend doing crazy stuff for the next 2.5 hours….just in case…..

• SR Raider

Bo Schembechler Jackson Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 9:07 am
    DVAG = patent pending, btw
    —————

Hopefully Olsen can turn DVAG into DMAN

• theghostronin79

The meteorite that passed over Russia was only the size of a kitchen table, and look at the damage it caused….2012DA14 is the size of an Olympic swimming pool….so just imagine the damage that would do….and we are depending on the same guys who messed up the metric conversion that resulted in the destruction of a $125 million dollar Mars orbiter to be the ones who are claiming that we are all safe…..food for thought.

————

Oh, it would do some damage – No doubt……

But think about this…. The one that wiped out the dinosuars was 6 MILES in diameter. If we get impact today, I don’t think it’s an “Extinction Level Event”

Even if it struck, it would be on the other side of the globe, and most likely in the water.

• DutchRaider77

1061.J Hill Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 8:59 am

Or should I round up he fam now and start heading aimlessly towards nowhere?

_________________________________________________

Remember hoard your food and eat the neighbors first!

Thankfully Reg doesn’t rely on Hillrod Scouting and Pawn, LLC like Al did in 08.

• SR Raider

Theghostronin79 Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 9:10 am

==========

I believe it’s supposed to be over Europe at it’s closest point. In any case North America is not in it’s trajectory

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Those crazy monkeys on “doomsday preppers” were right. Prepare yourself.
    Grow your own trees, buy a lot of munchies, and buy weapons to protect your trees and munchies.

***

JFB,

I respect a man that works & provides for his family. If you’re able to blog and still get your job done – more power to ya!

It’s the guys that sit here and point fingers while blogging the same amount as you, who either live with parents or let the wife support the family. It’s either that or they are on unemployment or disability.

I wouldn’t take it personal man. Just consider the source. Life doesn’t always work out the way we planned, but to be hateful to fellow bloggers for having a different opinion than you is just beyond ridiculous imo

• R8ER MIKE

Remember hoard your food and eat the neighbors first!

************
    ?? the neighbors or the neighbors food ??

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

SR Raider Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 9:14 am
    Theghostronin79 Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 9:10 am

==========

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Too bad. I was hoping it will hit Mich aka the ghetto state.
    Damn you Mich!

• The Big Banana

J Hill Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 8:59 am

Or should I round up he fam now and start heading aimlessly towards nowhere?

—–

LOL, J.

• theghostronin79

I’m watching a live feed now…..It looks like it’s just cruising on by. It’s pretty bright though. Looks bigger than a satelite

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

R8ER MIKE Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 9:19 am
    Remember hoard your food and eat the neighbors first!

************
    ?? the neighbors or the neighbors food ??
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$

ROFL
    Save yourselves and eat your neighbors!

BSJ,

should I repost your pro-McFadden comments from before, during and after draft day when you were excited that the Raiders selected “DVAG” ??

• J Hill

Remember hoard your food and eat the neighbors first!

————————————————————

I think I’ll start off with some fish before I go canabal, lol.

Got plenty of rods and line in the doomsday pack!

• The Big Banana

Well, I’m all prepped for a decent sized garden this year. Next on the list is getting gun training for the wife and I, then a gun. Better not come after my food when the chit hits the fan.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Garden?
    All you needs is guns and ammo.

• willy91137

It should be more afraid of global warming WEN THAR is not enough food to feed everybody on earth that’sWEN the battle of the Armageddon will come WE got about 200 300 years depending on the population growth it took until 1800 to get 1 billion people on earth were now approaching 3 billion I rather talk about the Raiders than this sad bull ship the biggest threat to the Earth is Homo sapiens ////////////

• DutchRaider77

1077.R8ER MIKE Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 9:19 am
    Remember hoard your food and eat the neighbors first!

************
    ?? the neighbors or the neighbors food ??

___________________________________________

Well maybe the food, I am too lazy for all the preparation it would take to eat the neighbors.

• SR Raider

Raider O Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 9:25 am
    Garden?
    All you needs is guns and ammo
    =======

Gotta have some smoke, too. Hence the garden. Although gunpowder is intoxicating in it’s own way

• The Big Banana

Lol, O. Yes, garden, because I don’t trust food grown by someone else. GMO seeds, toxic pesticides, etc.

Didn’t happen RRS

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

theghostronin79 Says:
    =======================================================

Don’t forget one of the most expensive telescope mirrors ever polished and due to be the least accessible, The Hubble. At the outset, someone forgot to convert from metric to standard and they spent years grinding and polishing the wrong curve and then launched it.
    The corrector lens they then fabricated did the job, needed a special shuttle flight to deliver, but can you say, oops?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

If you have guns and ammo, you can smoke your neighbors.

Garden?
    All you needs is guns and ammo.

***

False.

chicken, pigs, cows, goats, etc

better live near a water source, too. have a well or live near a laker or river and purify your own

RRS always prepared for anything

• DJ Johnny

1044.Just Fire Baby Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 8:40 am
    LOL at “nobody’s going to fault Reggie”.

Newsflash, Mark Davis has already flirted with hiring a boss for Reggie, thus reducing his power.

Another sub-par season, and Reggie is toast.

Like I said, in comparison to screwing up the 3rd pick in the draft.

Yes there will be criticism of Reggie if we suck this yr. and he may very well be out if we do.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

DutchRaider77 Says:
    =======================================================

Good jerky! What is it again?

• DutchRaider77

Breaking news, Packers releasing Chuck Woodson!

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

The Big Banana Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 9:27 am
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I don’t blame you. These bastards are killing us, and our gov (FDA) is helping them.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

willy91137, 6 billion, not 3.

• DutchRaider77

Looks like we are not in the picture for Chuck…

“He’d like to go play for a contender, win another Super Bowl.”

• The Big Banana

—-

Damit, RR. Why’d you have to harsh my buzz? Now I have to figure that out. Maybe I need to harvest rain water.