1,240

It’s all ‘downhill’ for Raiders rushing attack

Here’s a story from beat writer Jerry McDonald about Raiders first-year offensive coordinator Greg Olson talking about how he intends to use running back Darren McFadden next season:

In an uphill climb toward respectability, the Raiders direction will be decidedly downhill.

Offensive coordinator Greg Olson made it clear Wednesday during a meet-and-greet with local media that his plans for running back Darren McFadden will include the kind of gap and power blocking schemes that made him one of the NFL’s most explosive running backs in 2010 and 2011.

McFadden fell to a career-low 3.3 yards per carry in 2012 under the zone scheme runs favored by offensive coordinator Greg Knapp, who was fired after the season.

“I’m not naive enough to believe it’s all Greg Knapp’s fault,” Olson said. “Certainly there are some things I hope I can bring to the table that will allow us to have

Oakland Raiders’ Darren McFadden (20) runs against the Kansas City Chiefs in the first quarter at the O.co Coliseum in Oakland, Calif. on Sunday, Dec. 16, 2012. (Nhat V. Meyer/Staff) success.”

Olson becomes the Raiders’ third offensive coordinator in three seasons. Head coach Hue Jackson served as the play-caller in 2011, but Knapp was hired after general manager Reggie McKenzie fired Jackson.

The Olson offense will look a lot more like the one Jackson installed as offensive coordinator in 2010.

“Coming in a year ago, they made a switch to a zone system,” Olson said. “I don’t know if you ever want to pigeonhole yourself that way and say, ‘That’s what we do.’ You may not be able to do that based on the players you have.”

Regarding McFadden, Olson said, “Maybe a year ago, they weren’t sure about that zone scheme. Now, after a year of having to look at it, maybe he is a downhill runner. So we’ll get back to some of the gap schemes and things he does well.”

Olson is also intrigued by fullback Marcel Reece. He sees Reece as versatile enough to be a third-down back and operate in a single-back offense and as a player to utilize for favorable matchups.

“I was pleasantly surprised watching the tape to see that in a lot of the downhill lead plays where you need a fullback in there, he wasn’t a big thumper type but he did go willingly and block some of those linebackers,” Olson said.

Steve Corkran

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

RaiderRockstar Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 9:29 am
    Garden?
    All you needs is guns and ammo.

***

False.

chicken, pigs, cows, goats, etc

better live near a water source, too. have a well or live near a laker or river and purify your own

RRS always prepared for anything
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Or
    You can have lots of guns and ammo and take RRs Chickens, cows, and goats. You can keep the pigs.

• Al_is_theraiders

shrek mist be doing some serious aszs mooching in order to get DAs staff looks at the incoming draft…why else would they be elected to coach the senior bowl and run the combine drills?….no morecxcuses…

• SR Raider

Although CWood would be nice, there is no point at this time. Reggie needs to rebuild this team through the draft and that’s going to take at least 2 more years. None of the older guys, like CP, currently on the roster have a future with Oakland.

• DutchRaider77

Also, uh the Rams are planning on releasing Titus Young 10 days after signing off waivers…WTF?

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

I live in Cali, so I’m always prepared. I keep 20+ gallons of drinking water and enough food to last 2+ weeks.

• The Big Banana

Raider O Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 9:31 am
    The Big Banana Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 9:27 am
    Lol, O. Yes, garden, because I don’t trust food grown by someone else. GMO seeds, toxic pesticides, etc.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I don’t blame you. These bastards are killing us, and our gov (FDA) is helping them.

—–

Yep, and FDA is helping because they are staffed by the very people that cause the problem. Big Ag and the FDA are like a big swinger org. They swap staff/lawyers.

• The Big Banana

O, 1105. Smart man.

• The Big Banana

*orgy in post 1106, not org

• Just Fire Baby

I’ll take RRS pigs if you don’t want them O.

I’ll eat damn near all of that bad boy.

Boil his head and use his lips, cheeks and lymph nodes and make some chorizo!!!!!!

• SR Raider

All this pork talk making me hungry. Time for some bacon

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Raider O Says:
    ==================================================

Are llamas on your do not eat list?(camelid)

• The Big Banana

chouriço/linguiça > chorizo

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Chico,

I rather eat crickets over pig. I can’t tolerate the smell of it.

• J Hill

WE got about 200 300 years depending on the population growth

———————————————————–

Population control is in full effect, man.

Cancer, flu shots, etc.

The world will be down to about 1000 people plus servants in 100 years or so.

Food supply won’t be an issue.

• Al_is_theraiders

1000? dayum reggies plan to use tarps is on the right track!

• J Hill

———————————————————-

I remember my GMoms always had some okra, collards, andother stuff growing somewhere in here backyard.

Efen when she lived in the concrete jungle. She found a way to have some real scit going on.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Llama man,

I can eat Llama.
    No pigs or carnivores except sea creatures.

• Dakota

1114.Raider O Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 9:46 am
    Chico,

I rather eat crickets over pig. I can’t tolerate the smell of it.

++++++++++++

Pork is disgusting….I can only eat it if it is cooked to the consistency of leather.

• bcz24

it took until 1800 to get 1 billion people on earth were now approaching 3 billion I rather talk about the Raiders than this sad bull ship the biggest threat to the Earth is Homo sapiens
    *********
    Approaching 3 billion???? What year do you think it is bro? CHINA has 3 billion people. Planet Earth is just shy of 7 billion people.

• Dakota

1120.bcz24 Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 9:53 am
    *********

+++++

LOL

• MEX_GHOST

Raider O Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 9:35 am
    ————————————-
    Hey O!
    Have you been already in the “Preppers” TV Show?

• The Big Banana

Food supply won’t be an issue.

—–

Food supply is the issue and will be the cause of the population control you speak of. They’re poisoning you, folks.

• Dakota

That meteorite was traveling at about 33K miles per hour….Al would have drafted it.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Vincent: Want some bacon?
    Jules: No man, I don’t eat pork.
    Vincent: Are you J wish?
    Jules: Nah, I ain’t J wish, I just don’t dig on swine, that’s all.
    Vincent: Why not?
    Jules: Pigs are filthy animals. I don’t eat filthy animals.
    Vincent: Bacon tastes gooood. Pork chops taste gooood.
    Jules: Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I’d never know ’cause I wouldn’t eat the filthy mother fcker. Pigs sleep and root in sh1t. That’s a filthy animal. I ain’t eat nothin’ that ain’t got sense enough to disregard its own feces.
    Vincent: How about a dog? Dogs eats its own feces.
    Jules: I don’t eat dog either.
    Vincent: Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal?
    Jules: I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.
    Vincent: Ah, so by that rationale, if a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal. Is that true?
    Jules: Well we’d have to be talkin’ about one charming mother fckin’ pig. I mean he’d have to be ten times more charmin’ than that Arnold on Green Acres, you know what I’m sayin’?

• Just Fire Baby

How can you not like bacon?

I can put that stuff on just about anything. Any sandwich, burger, salad, in my brussel sprouts, on top of more pork, in my eggs. Hell, that BK bacon sundae is pretty damn good!!!

You People!!!!

• DKnight007

877.RaidersAllday_LtsGeTit Says:
    February 14th, 2013 at 6:41 pm
    Interesting Article if TRUE

NFL Wants Raiders To Find Talent In 2013 Draft

by Chris Shellcroft

NFL Wants Raiders To Find Talent In 2013 Draft

Losing has its benefits…I guess. Dennis Allen endured a brutal baptism as a first year NFL head coach but he made it through and is poised to take a second spin on the NFL rollercoaster.

Improving starts with getting more talent in positions of need and the swap meet of pro football that is the NFL Draft is certainly a great place to start. Of course nothing is guaranteed in the draft but the more opportunities a team gets to evaluate potential prospects the better the odds are of avoiding another JaMistake.

Perhaps the NFL wants the Raiders to avoid the pitfalls of the draft that have plagued them in recent years (at least in the first round of said draft). First Allen and his staff were fortunate enough to coach at the Senior Bowl giving them access to many top prospects via a week of practice. Now the league is giving those same coaches yet another chance to see future NFL talent up close and personal.

The Raiders have announced via Twitter (these clearly are no longer your Al Davis Raiders) that their coaches will be conducting drills at the NFL Scouting Combine. That means the Raiders’ staff will be hands on with many of the players they’ve only previously seen on tape. It also means they’ll get to see firsthand how future Raiders go about their business in the biggest job interview a football player will ever go through.

Of course none of this guarantees the Raiders will find a future Hall of Famer but it certainly helps in the weeeding out process.

^^^^^^^^
    It better help DA and his insane clown posse.

McK and his scouts better be on the ball.

• Dakota

There will be mandatory abortions and sterilizations, and a drop dead age of about 70 years old, at which point you will be euthanized, in China and India by 2030.

They cannot sustain that population growth.

• The Big Banana

Dakota Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 9:51 am
    1114.Raider O Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 9:46 am
    Chico,

I rather eat crickets over pig. I can’t tolerate the smell of it.

++++++++++++

—–

You guys have clearly never tried Black Iberian Pig. My wife, who hates pork, LOVES the stuff. You’ve never tasted anything so succulent and flavorful.

• J Hill

No pigs or carnivores except sea creatures.

———————————————————-

All that BS goes out the window when we get to doomsday mode.

Heck, I might even eat some damn Chitlins and hot sauce, lol.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Hey O!
    Have you been already in the “Preppers” TV Show?
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

No bro. They don’t like crazy and hairy Arab/ Muslim with little food and water and a lot of guns and ammo. It scares people.

• Dakota

1126.Just Fire Baby Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 10:00 am
    How can you not like bacon?

You People!!!!

+++++++++++

My bad, Bacon is great….I am thinking more along the lines of pork chops and pork tenderloin. All the parasites in it….I have to see that crap burned through in order to stomach it.

Bacon is clearly cooked through and it still tastes great.

• Just Fire Baby

*************************

I got scared just reading this

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

J Hill Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 10:03 am
    No pigs or carnivores except sea creatures.

———————————————————-

All that BS goes out the window when we get to doomsday mode.

Heck, I might even eat some damn Chitlins and hot sauce, lol.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$

I’m allowed to eat/ drink anything (pork, blood, alcohol, etc..) to survive.

• Just Fire Baby

Not a big chop guy, but love a pork tenderloin.

Parasites??? Ahh..you just crap them out later.

• Dakota

1135.Just Fire Baby Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 10:06 am
    Not a big chop guy, but love a pork tenderloin.

Parasites??? Ahh..you just crap them out later.

_____

Unless it is 24′ long!

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Tried to post that six times. Fixed the MFer right off. Then I worried about J wish. No go. copied to a word processor, then copied from there, No go. Played with MFer a little more. No go. Read it real closely and said ‘sh1t, I missed the sh1t’.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Chico,

I like Turkey Bacon.

Mock drafts so rough to do right before combine and workouts but here I go

1st Round: Damonte Moore DE Texas A&M
    Raiders lack pass rush at the edges and Moore is the best bet at RDE in a 4-3 base defense

3rd Round: Phillip Thomas S Fresno State
    Play maker with ball hawking skills. Raiders havent had good play from FS in a decade

4th Round: Jon Bostic LB Florida
    Tough nosed inside LB who was a leader on a top ranked defense. Sure tackler and can shed blocks

6th Round: Matt Brown QB Illinois State
    4 year QB with quick release and good accuracy and good NFL size

7th Round: Demetrius McCray CB Appalachian State
    Straight up cover corner who can pickoff passes. Will be overlooked but having good size and excellent speed can land him a roster spot

Of course this mock may change if we get a compensatory pick somewhere or we make a trade

I’d love to have SDSU TE Gavin Escobar in mid rounds if he is available

• SR Raider

Asteroid survival kit:
    1. Bacon. Check
    2. Fresh water. Check
    3. Trees. Check
    4. Guns and ammo. Check
    5. Full tank of gas. Check

Interestingly enough, this is the same list for NFL draft weekend.

• Godeep

I think they should bring in Peyton Hillis to reunite with DMC. It would be a cheap and effective way for a big back to compliment DMC.

• SR Raider

Except for beer. Definitely need beer for the draft

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Dakota Says:
    Unless it is 24′ long!
    =====================================================

If it’s 24′ long, you cut it up and cook it before you eat it.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Draft beer?

• DKnight007

847.aig-raiders Says:
    February 14th, 2013 at 5:20 pm
    That Oline in 2010 was ballin. They demolished Den and SD that year.

^^^^^^^^^^^
    Yep.

Going to pure ZBS and losing Satele and adding Brisiel…..hurt.

Raider O Says:
    February 15th, 2013 at 10:08 am
    Chico,

I like Turkey Bacon.
    **********************

Me too…..no pork on my fork

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I never heard of it. I will google it.

• Just Fire Baby

Where is that Fauria guy from UCLA supposed to go.

Got to say, in the few games I watched he was pretty damn impressive.

Pork is disgusting
    ******************************

It’s foul

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Lol Llama man. I like pulp fiction

Jewish.

• The Big Banana

Not available here, O. At least not that I’m aware of. If it is, it will probably cost an arm and half a leg.