1,254

Packers cut DB Woodson; Raiders should begin pursuit

Now that the Green Bay Packers made official what was speculated on most of the day, the Raiders should contact Woodson’s agent and see if there’s any interest in Woodson rejoining the Raiders.
Of course, it might be a futile exercise, given Woodson’s agent, Carl Poston, said that Woodson wants to play for a Super Bowl contender, and the Raiders seem much farther away from that than most other teams.
Still, it’s worth a shot. Woodson might be intrigued about finishing his NFL career with the team that drafted him in 1998 and exposed him to his first taste of postseason success.
Woodson joined a Raiders team fresh from a 4-12 season before his arrival. They were in the playoffs three seasons later, with Woodson playing a huge role at cornerback.
Naturally, the Raiders were 4-12 last season, too, and seem just as far away from being a legitimate contender as they were when Woodson first joined the Raiders.
Cost also would be an issue for a Raiders team that isn’t as flush with salary-cap space as other teams. Further, it’s unlikely that Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie would overspend to be reunited with Woodson.
In November, McKenzie talked about how difficult it was his first year with the Raiders, given their salary-cap constraints.
“I remember talking to Ted Thompson,” McKenzie said of the Packers general manager. “His rookie year, he was able to get Charles Woodson. I would have liked to have done that.”
Well, now McKenzie can make that happen.
Signing Woodson would allow the Raiders to leave Michael Huff at cornerback and give them something they have lacked for numerous seasons: an impact player on defense.
The Raiders need far more help than Woodson can provide, especially this late in his career. Still, McKenzie has to start somewhere. Bringing in a player as well respected and talented as Woodson would be viewed as just that kind of start.

Steve Corkran

• jesusraiderjim

I was reffering to your eloquent style of prose!

• willy91137

As a man you should not judge you should understand what;;;;;;;;;

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

this is the business they’re not in a 4 health they had that when they started
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Monkey with a keyboard!
    WTF does that translate to in Human English?

• jesusraiderjim

Exactly O!!

I was trying to be nice.

Gibberish Monkey

• http://www.CarsonTheSnakePalmer.com Random Drug Tester

Priesttj12 Says:
    February 17th, 2013 at 8:56 pm
    I just hope Reggie which is a huge hope isn’t as crazy as you guys who wnat to CUT someone everytime the make a few more bucks than they should you’ll never ever biuld a team. Contracts just get out of whack no matter how hard you try not to. It’s part of the business NOBODY is worth what they are getting.

You cannot biuld a team on a shoestring budget. Not saying who they should keep and who they shouldn’t just saying. You guys are crazy with this he’s making too much money crap.

That’s the business they’re in you cannot cry everytime that exist because it will always exist……..period

Soon as you get rid of these guys you’ll need to do it again because there will always be players getting paid what they’re not worth and players NOT getting paid what they’re worth. It all washes out in the end.

IT’S THE NATURE OF THE BUSINESS!!!
    ========================================
    LOL…this is hilarious! It might hold water if the Raiders were some kind of Dynasty just off a string of Super Bowl wins. Truth is we are one of the worst teams in the league with a roster full of non-talents that somehow have the highest payroll in the business. We have no cap-room, seem to be short of cash, and have less than a full compliment of draft picks…like we could afford to pay for a full slate of draft picks anyways.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

Jim,

Don’t be nice and don’t give chances here. Just have fun bro.

“Are you not entertained?”

I’m.
    Release the Monkeys!

• jesusraiderjim

Ruthless Monkeys!!!!

• theghostronin79

Man, I think alot of folks got the day off today.

• realtruraider

King’s biggest issue to staying? Holding. He sucked at it, and it is a crucial component to being a punter.

——————————————————-

Why do I think that most holders are backup QBs? I don’t pay much attention to whos holding but I have noticed the backup QB being the holder on more than a few teams.

• willy91137

For beautiful eyes look for the good in others for beautiful lips speak only words

of kindness and for poise . Walk with the knowledge THAT YOU ARE NEVER ALONE

No I’m not dumb are you I have 76 years on this earth how many years to you have.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

DHB is very good after the catch. Not very good at getting open or fighting for the ball. World class speed but I’ve never seen him out run any DB on deep route. He is a no 3 WR at best.

• http://repealitnow.org MistaBrown

WTF is this a Hallmark card or your E-harmony profile?
    _____

Willy91137 Says:
    February 18th, 2013 at 10:53 am

of kindness and for poise . Walk with the knowledge THAT YOU ARE NEVER ALONE

• raidertbone

Oh s#$#$#$tt! Was that an earth tremor I just felt?! Oh, never mind, it was JaMarcus getting out of bed! Looks like he’s gettin’ himself in prime shape for a comeback!

• raidertbone

Willy went to the Forrest Gump school of lexicon

• raidertbone

MONKEY!!!

• rediaR

I want 2 firsts next year. So many guys I’m more excited about than this year’s crop.

• theghostronin79

realtruraider Says:
    February 18th, 2013 at 10:48 am

——————————————————-

=======

OR THE STARTING QB……….See “Tony Romo” Gaff in the playoffs a couple years back…LOLOLOL.

Muffs the snap, then gets up to run it in from like the 10 or something….Gets creamed at the 1, with the game on the line.

I was ROTFL MMFAO

• theghostronin79

rediaR Says:
    February 18th, 2013 at 11:04 am

==========

Two words…..

TRADE DOWN……..TRADE DOWN

• realtruraider

Vic Tafur‏@VicTafur

“@nflnetwork: Mike Mayock on #NFLDraft class: ‘we probably have better depth than we’ve had in 10 years. >> hard for #Raiders to trade down

—————————————————–

Not sure about the depth for QBs, if Geno is there at #3 Im sure Reggie will get some offers

• The Big Banana

Unconventional, but why not a WR as the holder? Good hands (not DHB), speed.

• theghostronin79

DAMN IT

• theghostronin79

QB depth is Poo Poo

• SR Raider

No way Lechler is kept just because he’s a holder. Gotta get rid of these ridiculous contracts!

Trading down to get a mid-late first and a second seems like the best way to go right now. Just not sure who would be eager to trade up with this draft class. Top 10-15 picks all seem roughly the same to me

• Just Fire Baby

No way Lechler is kept just because he’s a holder.

**********************************

Of course not, but if King can’t learn to hold, he better average 50 yards a kick or he won’t be the punter either.

• The Big Banana

Still remember Jano on the fake end around. The genius of Tom Cable. Then, to put the cherry on top Tommy proclaims that he’d call it again.

• Just Fire Baby

I have been saying it for awhile, if we do trade down, there is going to be a lot of disappointed people in here at the package we get back.

I doubt we get even a 2nd out of it, unless we defer it to next year.

Probably trade down 3-4 spots, and get a 4th and 5th.

• theghostronin79

==============

Yeah, always seems to be the case on draft day though, that somebody gets “Buck Fever” and all of a sudden, they HAVE TO GET THEIR GUY…..Seems like everything after pick #5 ends up unpredictable. Lots of head scratching and eyebrow raising from then on.

• The Big Banana

I doubt we get even a 2nd out of it, unless we defer it to next year.

—–

I’d be ok with that.

• Just Fire Baby

Seems like if you defer the pick to the following year, you get an extra round out of it.

So someone might offer us a 4th in 2012 to move up a few spots, or a 2013 3rd.

• rediaR

Just Fire Baby Says:
    February 18th, 2013 at 11:16 am

I doubt we get even a 2nd out of it, unless we defer it to next year.

Probably trade down 3-4 spots, and get a 4th and 5th.
    ————————-
    If that happens Reggie got hosed. The values aren’t even close there.

• theghostronin79

Just Fire Baby Says:
    February 18th, 2013 at 11:16 am

I doubt we get even a 2nd out of it, unless we defer it to next year.

Probably trade down 3-4 spots, and get a 4th and 5th.

=========

Why would you think that? I guess everything depends on how far BACK we trade, and how far UP our partner is jumping….But a 4th and 5th seems out of the question.

• Just Fire Baby

The values aren’t even close there.

************************

Look at last years trades from #3 and on tell me why.

Vikings traded from 3 to 4, and got a 4th and a 6th.

Tampa traded from 5 to 7, and got a 4th.

Dallas moved up from 14 to 6, costing only a 2nd.

I think we will have to move down 6-7 spots to get an outright 2013 2nd.

• Just Fire Baby

Excuse me, Vikings traded from 3 to 4 and got a 4th, 5th and 7th.

• Just Fire Baby

And no team has traded up during the draft into the top half of the first round and took an offensive lineman in 5 years.

Last one, Jeff Otah, who was a massive flop.

• SR Raider

Just Fire Baby Says:
    February 18th, 2013 at 11:27 am

I think we will have to move down 6-7 spots to get an outright 2013 2nd.
    ———

That’s what I’m thinking/hoping will happen. Trade down to 9-12 and get a 2nd. But that’s probably just wishful thinking

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

I suggested O ad run out of monkey adjectives the other day and he said “never”.
    Keyboard monkey is gonna stick.

• theghostronin79

Rumored, Jerry Jones wants our pick. If it were true, and we swapped 1st’s….They’d still be 1300 points in the hole for value, and the 1st pick of round 2 is only worth 580 points.

NOT SAYING it will happen but, there’s a chance to make a killing with that pick.

• theghostronin79

If we traded with Dallas, they’d have to give us like 4 picks man…..

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

After #1 and #2, next best value in the draft is #8 and #12 by one interesting set of criteria too convoluted to go into here.
    Been reccommending this article for days. It’s very much worth skimming at least.

An alternative approach to draft slot value
    By NinjaGoro on Feb 9

• Just Fire Baby

Forgot these charts, just look at what happened last year in the top 10 movement.

That’s what you should expect.

• realtruraider

Mayock said on a conference call Monday that some people will say he’s crazy to potentially take a guard at No. 1 overall, but Mayock says Warmack is the best player in this draft. So he doesn’t see it as crazy at all.

In the end, Mayock believes the pick could come down to Joekel or Warmack. This is a draft in which the top-shelf players don’t stand apart too much, and there might not be a huge difference between picks No. 5 and 25. That makes it a tricky spot for the Chiefs.

——————————————————

Interesting

• The Big Banana

Vegas makes a good point. The market just might not be there, in which case…stand pat and get the BPA. Late rounders not worth it IMO.

• realtruraider

“I don’t like to be in the top 10. I’d much rather be in positions 16-22,” Mike Mayock said of where he’d want to be in this draft.

• Just Fire Baby

The biggest value in trading down a few spots is the reduced salary of the rookie’s contract.

The difference between #3 and #7 last year was about 2.7 million per year in cap space (as long as the rookie is around for all 4 years of his contract) and about $10 million in real dollars.

• DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL

TRADE INTO NEXT YEARS DRAFT..WILL GET MORE VALUE..

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Marks hair Says:
    Work sounds like bs today.. its perfect outside i wanna take my boat out.
    —————————————
    jesusraiderjim Says:
    Marks Hair
    You have been doing an OUTSTANDING job at work lately your peers can’t even carry your thong.
    You go ahead and take your boat out, I got your back.

Jesus said!!
    ==================================================

What would Jesus do?
    Go fishing!

• realtruraider

The chart value is still valid, but it all depends on if we are the ones making the call to trade down (then we won’t get as much value) or if someone calls us to trade up (then obviously we will get closer to the charted value)

• realtruraider

And the chart will make GMs feel like they are gettin a deal

• irjonny

Yeah, I remember – Knapp said that the ZBS was going to revolutionize the ground game. It sure did – it was truly REVOLTING!
    ———————————–
    im not a knapp fan but didn’t we run the ball all day long on opponents when mcfadden was out? and that was a FB. everyone else in the league does fine with ZBS. DA nor Knapp ruined this offense. our players did. carson and Dmac have to go

• irjonny

the problem with the ZBS is that you have to be a smart runner. mcfadden is dumber than a bag of bricks.