Mayock likes DT Floyd as Raiders top pick

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Monday, February 18th, 2013 at 11:58 am in Oakland Raiders.

NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said in a national conference call he thought Florida defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd could be a potential target for the Raiders with the No. 3 overall pick in the 2013 NFL draft.

Mayock, available in advance of this week’s NFL scouting combine, said he liked Floyd (6-foot-3, 303 pounds) ahead of Utah’s Star Lotulelei (6-4, 325), a player who heading into the combine is considered to be more of a top 10 pick than Floyd on most lists.

“Oakland is in a very good place. They need D-linemen, and they can get one in this draft. This kid from the University of Florida, Sharrif Floyd, he’s the prototypical three-technique in this draft and I think he’s going to be a big-time impact player that people don’t know about,” Mayock said. “I’ve got him rated higher than the Utah kid and he’s a natural at what they do.”

Defensive tackle Richard Seymour is an unrestricted free agent, as is injury-replacement in the starting lineup, Desmond Bryant. Starter Tommy Kelly is no lock to return because of a high salary cap number.

The Raiders are presently without picks in the second and fifth rounds because of trades for Carson Palmer and Aaron Curry in 2011. They’ve added a second seventh-round pick in the Louis Murphy deal to Carolina and also will probably receive a compensatory pick or picks by the time the draft takes place.

While trading the No. 3 overall pick is no doubt enticing, and would potentially enable the Raiders to recoup the lost picks, it may be easier said than done.

Mayock said the 2013 draft is exceptionally deep because of a strong junior class, but not particularly top heavy.

“I think the fifth pick in the draft and the 25th pick are very similar,” Mayock said.

Mayock, who correctly forecast the Raiders selection of Darrius Heyward-Bey in 2009 well in advance of the draft based on the way Al Davis leaned heavily on size, strength and speed, said the organization has changed the way it identifies talent in the Reggie McKenzie-Dennis Allen era.

“I think there’s a very radical divergence from the past Raider way,” Mayock said. “I don’t mean that positively or negatively. I just mean different. I like where Reggie and Dennis are headed. Reggie comes from Green Bay. In Green Bay, Ted Thompson’s been a guy that grinds. He’s out in the field all the time. He’s a true old-school evaluator, where h wants a football player first and an athlete second, and I think Mr. Davis was a little bit the opposite.

“He wanted that athlete first and that he thought he could mold into a football player.”

Mayock also sees four offensive linemen as being players who could go in the top three _ Texas A&M tackle Luke Joekel, Central Michigan tackle Eric Fisher, Alabama guard Chance Warmack and North Carolina guard Jonathan Cooper.

The Raiders could use an instant starter at either at right tackle, where Khalif Barnes is a free agent, or either guard spot, where Mike Brisiel was brought in because of his familiarity with the zone bocking scheme and Cooper Carlisle is a free agent.

• raiderfankirk

Just Fire Baby Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 9:50 am
    He has 400 less career attempts than Eli… do you think Eli is on his last leg too?

****************************

I think great QB’s play into their late 30’s.

Carson is not a great QB, he is more along the lines of a Donovan McNabb type, who played great at 33, not so hot at 34 and was out of the league at 35.

———————————

Now you have deffently lost it. How can you compare two completely different QB’s?

• willy91137

Do you know what makes better defensive backs
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    better defensive lineman
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    we need to draft the best pass rusher
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Carson Palmer told the Cincinnati Bengals that he had $22 million in the bank and he could set out as long as he wanted

Carson well restructure his contract probably do like Brady did sign for two more years and to spread the money out

*************************************
    we need to get our defense better defense of lineman cost a lot of money

so you’re better off getting them in the draft they’re much cheaper that would

quarterbacks are the same way that cost a lot of money as we move forward we keep Carson Palmer see what prior can do and bring in a free-agent are draft one in the later rounds

how many field goals did we kicked last year too many if Those field goals would have been touchdowns we would’ve been a hell of a lot better off

• Gdog

And that’s the best I can do to not actually answer your question. I still think Reggie and Palmer had to foresee this situation and already know where they stand. I doubt there’ll be heated negotiations.

>>>

I foresee the negotiations like this:

CP to Reggie: “What can I do to make the players around me better?”

Reggie: “Take a pay cut and restructure again.”

CP: “Ok, talk to my agent and lets do it.”

• Just Fire Baby

Carson has no guaranteed money left on his current deal, his only bargaining chip is knowing the Raiders aren’t in the greatest cap situation to absorb a lot of dead money by cutting him.

I expect his pay will be cut by 40% or more.

• MikieG

Just Fire Baby Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 9:52 am

We don’t need to draft the next Reggie Lewis or Hank Gathers at #3.
    +++++++++++

Its NOT the same condition. At least from initial reports. Once he gets his test results back, we will know exactly what is going on with him. Seriously, this could be absolutely nothing. 44% E.F while below normal, isn’t THAT far off normal. Usually they go in 5% increments..so his E.F is between 44 and 49%…Normal is between 50 and 55%…
    Lets just see what the tests prove. I am damn interested in it, since I had something similar to this myself.

• DKnight007

So is on field production more important to you hypocrites or workout #’s from combine??

Ripping Te’os workout #’s , but what about your boys D Moores workout #’s ? 4.85 40 (slower than Te’o's)

Moore also only had 12 reps? Hilarious!

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Just Fire Baby Says:
    LOL at Palmer playing 5 or 6 more years.
    =======================================================

I could easily see 5 years. Last two carrying a clipboard, but you could do a lot worse than him coming off the bench.

• Gdog

Just Fire Baby Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 9:50 am

****************************

I think great QB’s play into their late 30’s.

>>>>

Well golly gee whiz… how convenient. But why would you make that comparison except for he is a QB that flamed out fast?

• DJ Johnny

My opinion on Palmer’s worth to any franchise might be skewed a bit as it is with any player we tend to “like”. We are all guilty of it. It’s like some of the Pryor love here where guys cuz they “like” him tend to accentuate every little positive they can to help bolster their case cuz they want to see him as our starter so badly.

Some say that Pryor SHOULD have been 17-28 instead of 13-28 cuz he had 4 dropped passes in that game..and then you add on the additional yardage he would’ve had if those passes were caught and his stat line is:

17/28 210 yd’s 2 Td’s 1 int. w/ 49 yd’s 1 td rushing accounting for 259 yd’s of offense and 3 td’s total for the afternoon.

Even the most hardened of Pryor naysayers would have to agree that that’s pretty good for a 1st ever NFL start on the road on a wet playing field.

On the flip side of that, the Pryor “realists” will point out receivers drop balls all the time so welcome to the club Terrelle, and since we’re nitpicking the TD to DHB SHOULD have been negated and DHB called for offensive interference, and they may say there was another pass that should have easily been picked; and so in their analysis Pryor’s stat line is more: 12/28 1 TD 2 int’s w/ a rushing td and 49 yd’s.

It’s all in each individuals perspective and alot of it is clouded by whether we “like” the guy or not imo.

Personally, I like Pryor ALOT…his work ethic, his attitude, his physical attributes, his running ability etc. There’s no doubt a player like that adds alot of excitement to the game.

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

=====================================================

thought it was 80 something.

• http://www.raiders.com Raider O

40 times for DL and OL is BS. DL and OL don’t have to run 40 yards on the field.
    I care more about their 10 yard time because its a good measure of burst than speed which is what you need at these positions.

• Just Fire Baby

**************************

It is the most recent example of a QB turning 34/35 at Carson’s skill level.

Everyone keeps saying “look at Brady look at Peyton”.

He’s not on that level. He is on Donovan’s level, as far as talent,age and injuries.

• Gdog

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 10:03 am

Just Fire Baby Says:
    LOL at Palmer playing 5 or 6 more years.
    =======================================================

>>>>

It depends mostly on how much he loves playing/competing, and how many more injuries he receives. Its too early to make ANY assumptions now. But thats all JFB does here… in case anyone hasn’t noticed. Just ridiculous blind assertions and guesses… hundreds of them per day!

People acting like 33 is old for a QB are just talking crazy… 33 is old for a LINEMAN, and ancient for a RB, but QB’s often play their best football at around 35. There are dozens of examples. The game just slows down for them…

• NGRaiderfan

4681.Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 9:26 am
    DJ Johnny Says:
    Purv,
    what do you think he’s worth for 3 years?
    give me a quote of what a good franchise would pay, not one that reflects a greater amount to play in Oakland

For clarification, Palmer just turned 33 NOT 34.
    ======================================================

You’re right. 33. I’ve read so much much Palmer hate here, I’m subconsciously downgrading him!(that wasn’t RR, that was me) He11, throw another year on there.

After 2011, worth every penny we were paying. Haters can hate, and he did have a bad game vs. Green Bay(welcome to the club) but down the stretch with the playoffs in sight,he was easily top five.
    After last year, I don’t know. With Knapp admitting he spent more time game planning to get into the red zone than trying to get from there into the end zone, a supposedly seriously hurting RG being a better option than his backups, an epically bad RT filling in for Barnes in 9 games, ineffective run game and bad playcalling, well, you know the drill.
    I’d say he easily deserves middling money(#14-#18 range). Beyond that, the Raiders need to decide what kind of offense they want in 2013 and go from there.

======================

He was easily top 5? Top 5 in what? I know you’re not talking about to 5 qbs.. here are his stats with the “playoffs in site” the last 5 games

MIA: 20-41 (48%) for 273 yds; 2tds, 1 int – we got killed 14-34 by a 6-10 team

GB: 24-42 for 247 yds; 1 td, 4 ints – we got killed 16-46

DET: 32-40 for 367 yds; 1 td, 0 int – we lost 27-28

KC: 16-26 for 237 yds,; 1 td, 2 ints – we won 16-13 in OT

SD: 28-43 for 417 yds; 2tds, 1 int – we lost 26-38

He threw for 7 TDs and 8 ints in the last 5 games “playoff stretch” and we went 1-4 when 2-3 would have gotten us to the playoffs, and you are trying to tell me he was a top 5 qb. GTFO!!! Next…

• willy91137

Everybody likes the backup quarterback????????????????

Prior would’ve won that game if our special teams. could have stopped anybody

but what does it really matter. **********************************

• Just Fire Baby

****************************

Dozens?

Let’s see them.

I went through a list of like 20 HOF or borderline HOF players, half of them didn’t even play more then a year or two after 35 if even at all.

• Gdog

Just Fire Baby Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 10:10 am

**************************

It is the most recent example of a QB turning 34/35 at Carson’s skill level.

Everyone keeps saying “look at Brady look at Peyton”.

>>>>|

What does the competency of a QB have to do with longevity? Steve Deberg was an average QB at best and played until he was 44. Jeesh.

Gannon hadn’t accomplished anything in his career at 33 and won a MVP at 37!

You could at least admit you picked a player that flamed out fast to compare CP to because you HOPE he flames out fast so you can be right!

• Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist

Just Fire Baby Says:
    ======================================================

Very similar. In fact, I think Carson has run for more yds.
    Palmer 372.0 yards rushing in 9 years.
    McNabb 324.9 yards rushing in 11 years.

Oh wait. That was a speck of dust on my screen. Make that 3,249 yards for McNabb.

• Gdog

Just Fire Baby Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 10:19 am

****************************

Dozens?

Let’s see them.

>>>>>

I am sick of your worthless blather. I can name 6 off the top of my head… Moon, Manning, Gannon, Young, Elway, and Farve.

You really don’t think I can come up with 6 more?

Whats it worth to you, Little Brain..

• ohioraider

jesusraiderjim Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 9:18 am

Te’o will be on someones roster “starting” opening day. That is a fact. I would take him on my team all day long. High character guy who is gonna have a huge chip on his shoulder and ball out.

We need a 2nd round pick so we can get him.
    ————————————–
    4.82 40. He’s dropping.

• Gdog

Purvisman/Intrepid/Eternal Optimist Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 10:23 am

Just Fire Baby Says:
    ======================================================

Very similar. In fact, I think Carson has run for more yds.
    Palmer 372.0 yards rushing in 9 years.
    McNabb 324.9 yards rushing in 11 years.

>>>>

LOL! 20 bucks sez JFB won’t understand the significance of this.

• DJ Johnny

In here, there’s no more polarizing figure than Palmer.

Those that just don’t like the guy will accentuate every negative they can find on him and they are blessed with alot of ammunition in that regard to bolster their take on it.

Where I started to like Palmer was when he went up against Big Ben in a key matchup for the division in a game AT Pittsburgh…a team I have strongly disliked all my life. I wanna say it was 2005, and it was a shootout for control of the division..on the road and Palmer threw for 3 td’s in a 38-31 victory.

Probably one of his biggest moments as a pro and it allowed Cincy to coast to the division title, so my hate of Pittsburgh led to my “appreciation” of Palmer for standing up to those baztards and beating them on their home turf in a huge game; so I was predisposed to like the guy from the beginning.

The playoff game that yr. he was victim of a cheap shot by Van Olfenderfenstatzen (or whatever his name is) in the 1st quarter and they lost the game, which of course the haters pin on Palmer regardless.

His “faults” are well documented here…ad nauseum and i’m not blind to them. I wanna win as bad as anybody else which is why I say i’m open for a shiny new toy who’ll take us to the promised land.

Palmer making more $$$ than Aaron Rodgers is ridiculous…of course it is, but imo CP gets way too much crap for the 4-12 being all on him as it suggests that the horrible defense should get a pass, or that the running game and no # 1 receiver thing somehow doesn’t matter cuz good QB’s “overcome” all that.

It’s a team game and everybody owns that 4-12…coaches too. Heck Reggie and Mark own it just as much.

• DKnight007

4711.Raider O Says:
    February 26th, 2013 at 10:08 am

^^^^^
    Yep, thats why I like Ansah and Jordan.

Don’t make excuses for Moores bad showing though….

• DJ Johnny

Imagine the controversy in here if we had actually WON that game against SD.

If not for Hoffman’s crappy special teams it’s possible we may have.

• realtruraider